Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Win an UltraBook!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 02:45
lol, apoc I feel stupid now. Thanks for the response, I'm disappointed that it doesn't swivel (because it's awkward to touch and tilt/move a traditional laptop) but I'll get over it. In my defense apoc the documentation on this device is terrible-I mean I understand it's pre-release but comeon there're like 10 product codes and few explanations.
Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 03:13
Do you think there's still a chance of getting an Ultrabook? I created an article on the 23rd and haven't heard anything so far, but then again they do have 90 left!

I'll probably update my page over the weekend since the picture of my game is only the level selection screen (I currently don't have any in-game art, even though a fair bit of the engine has been programmed).

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
No problem Lavaflyer. Some of the new UltraBooks do swivel, and Ive seen one on a site that has a screen on each side!

Conor B The Judging ended on the 24th. If you didnt post a version of your game or any screenshots/videos then itll be hard for your entry to win one. They also stated that they might not give out all 300 UltraBooks, as its not the 300 best apps that win one but up to 300 based on if the apps are worth investing in.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 08:29
Phew! I just got my email saying I was a round 1 winner! Yay!!!

That aside... this:
Quote: " it doesnt pop off!"

and this
Quote: " it doesn't swivel "

...are seriously demoralizing for my game's development! What on earth were they thinking, making a slim portable computer with accelerometers and multitouch technology and a slew of other fancy-schmancy sensors... that is totally incapable of acting like a tablet? Did they not think for even a second that developers were going to be making games on these things? I mean, sure, we can test for functionality... but c'mon, guys! How am I supposed to actively test my space-flight game with a massive keyboard firmly attached to and hanging off of my steering wheel?

Rant over, I look forward to playing with my Ultrabook.

~Plystire

A rose is only a rose until it is held and cherished -- then it becomes a treasure.
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 09:49
Add another to that Round 1 winners list ( sneaked in at the eleventh hour)
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 15:53
The touch screen is great, agreed that the accelerometer seems a little redundant on this particular ultrabook. But people should keep in mind that not all ultrabooks will be this design, some may have detachable keyboards or perhaps fold around to be more of a tablet.

The important thing for us is that we have a device which allows us to implement and test these features, even if it feels a little awkward at times.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 16:51
The only interesting use for the accelerometer I can think of is to detect what is happening to the device, like it is being picked up and to pause the game or something. Something that isn't involved in game play but instead makes the game aware of its surroundings.

Incidentally if all 3 accelerometer values approach 0 the device is in free fall and your game may be about to come to an abrupt halt
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 17:17
Quote: "The only interesting use for the accelerometer I can think of is to detect what is happening to the device, like it is being picked up and to pause the game or something. Something that isn't involved in game play but instead makes the game aware of its surroundings."

That's actually a good idea, I may have steal it...
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 17:51 Edited at: 26th Oct 2012 17:57
Stick it down on the table in a train. "Shaken, not stirred" springs to mind.However, a cute app could probably monitor the acceleration and deceleration forces and tell you how fast you're going.

Oh - thinks - so could the GPS.

How about you put the Ultrabook on the bed while you're having sex and it monitors the mattress motion. It then stores the data and compares it over a few months - eventually telling you whether you're getting more or less stamina, how many calories you've burnt, and possibly who you're with.

If they do the competition again, anybody dare me to propose it?

I will need beta-testers!!!!

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 18:35
That's an awesome idea. Sadly though, my ultrabooks fans has started to make a weird sound, it sounds like something is stuck in the fans
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 22:37
Quote: " my ultrabooks fans has started to make a weird sound, it sounds like something is stuck in the fans"

There's a glitch with some "device adapter" service, that sends the machine into overdrive every now and then. Kill the process and it will be back to normal...until M$/Intel sort the driver problem.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 23:34 Edited at: 27th Oct 2012 00:00
I can't find that service, I see one called DeviceAssosiationService and one called DeviceInstall. Do you know what its called in the service list? Im glad it's a software problem though...
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 01:50
And The Ultrabook Enter my Domains Today!!!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 11:03
Quote: "I see one called DeviceAssosiationService"

That's the one

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 11:48
That didn't help. It seriously sounds like a hardware problem, it'a random sound, kind of like a tiny rock is stuck in the fan. And if I turn the coumputer more than 90 degrees upside down, the sound dissapears.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 12:48
Quote: "That didn't help. It seriously sounds like a hardware problem, it'a random sound, kind of like a tiny rock is stuck in the fan. And if I turn the coumputer more than 90 degrees upside down, the sound dissapears. "

I had a tiny (very tiny) screw under the 'Del' button which prevented me from being able to push it... I had to fish it out with a cocktail stick ha... Could be something like that?
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 13:18
No its like batvink says its drivers that is still messed up.
I get this screaming fans sometimes when switching usb sticks while testing my game.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 13:35
Glad it's not just me then...
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 15:00
Maybe they should rename them Ultrasoundbooks

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 16:13
Does anyone now wath drivers to download and install?

Its a complete messed up jungle with the drivers?

A already have a bunch of emails that i should upgrade all kinds of drivers for the ultrabook.

And the files is both dmg,tgz and exe files?

Feels like being back in the chaos of old dos computers

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
why didn't they just put the drivers in the Windows database so Windows8 finds them automatically for you and installs them seamlessly?

why do you have to download zips and exes and install them manually?

ultrabooks are now released officially
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 17:56
I dont understand it either and is completely confused over wath i nead to install?

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 18:30 Edited at: 27th Oct 2012 21:34
Did you register at the intel premier site to ge tthose driver emails? If so, what company should you use if you don't have one?

Edit: I tried to get the touch screen working on my ultrabook, and i noticed that GetPointerState dosn't work until the user moves. Will this be fixed in a newer version, or should I try to fix it now?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The Zoq, obviously we will get some windows sensors specific commands in the next version, however the question is when?

In the windows8 presentation a couple of days ago, we were shown quite a few sensor-full laptops and tablets.

Also can AppGameKit be opened into fullscreen mode and made to lock in one landscape orientation on windows8?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 23:56
I think Lee promised all the sensors will be available for us in time.

I am wondering what we need to do to make our apps accessible from the windows 8 'start' screen. Also, how to add custom options to the drag-in menu, like other games do? Would be good to have that but I suppose its not as important as sensors and start-up from metro interface.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Matty for now AppGameKit will only produce Windows8-mode DESKTOP apps (which are actually windows exes that work with windows7 too but have the sensors api commands) NOT Metro apps, so they won't be accessible from the start METRO menu.

I'm sure in the near future AppGameKit will also provide a true Windows8 platform.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2012 02:43
I pretty much nead the update to get any further on my entry

Hope they come soon.

Lavaflyer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2012 02:56 Edited at: 28th Oct 2012 02:58
Ya my app is pretty much done (in the same boat as cliff) but I need the new AppGameKit version so the ultrabook registers taps not just swipes. Does Lee have an ETA yet? because I really wanna get that $1000.00 for my app being one of the first 50 releases

Also does/will AppGameKit have any setorientation functions in the future because my app is a portrait app and users can play it in portrait mode on windows if they use the standard ctrl+alt+left/right_arrow_key but that's alittle unintuitive. A option in my menus would make more sense.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2012 09:05
Quote: "Also does/will AppGameKit have any setorientation functions"

It's not perfect, but it works. This is a basic demo, in the real world you would get your device dimensions and set it as you came into the program. It will work for fullscreen mode, but I don't think it will work Windowed because the window size doesn't change.

Quote: "they won't be accessible from the start METRO menu."

Desktop programs get added to the Metro Menu. You'll just get a plain icon though.

Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2012 15:37
I just got an email saying I made it through round 1 Better late than never!

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2012 23:35
Congrats - I heard a few of the last-minute entries were quite late in getting their UBs.

Anyway, here's a vid of my current WIP.

Tokidokee
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice one Ched80, this is looking good...like the retro GUI so far

Right, just to let you know that I am beavering away at producing another AGK-fuelled game for the Ultrabook. The UB arrived -finally- yesterday...

Here is my entry http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/482585/The-Vault-Locked-Down
and here was another for good measure, but it was an afterthought and I prefer the Vault game...more original I suppose...
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/483541/The-Black-Box

..I am not making easy for myself, but it is progressing. The working title and background story have changed, but the touch-based gameplay has remained with lots of new features (hopefully)...

Soon some screens.. and I'll move in the WIP section
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 17:22
It seems like the wifi has sopped working on my ultrabook, have any of you had a similar problem?
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 01:25
This code signing is a bit confusing, can someone tell me how to do this so I can participate in this?

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
at what stage do you do the code signing? before or when you upload your msi package?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 10:54 Edited at: 13th Nov 2012 10:56
You apply the certificate to your installer once you've built it. You can use command line or a special tool like the one I made or probably better still the official AppUp tool attached.

Edit: 2Beastmode4u, try looking through my AppUp Development Guide

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the info Baxslash
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 22:37
@baxslash
Thanks! Just one thing, DBPro/DGK has features for Windows 8? Also, in his code what is this getting authentication from appup string? The "mypassword$" string.

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 23:46
No the guide can be used to an extent for AppGameKit apps, just ignore using the appup dll and merge module. Other than that it's about the same. Forget anything to do with the appup SDK unless you're using Tier 2 and making an app to sell (as opposed to free).

Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It seems like the wifi has stopped working on my ultrabook, have any of you had a similar problem? "

I have problems connecting my ultrabook to most wifi spots I don't know what is causing this.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2012 07:29
I fixed my wifi problem by reinstalling the latest drivers
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2012 11:40
Quote: "I fixed my wifi problem by reinstalling the latest drivers"

same here.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 01:56
Well, I'm glad you guys were able to install the latest drivers. For whatever reason I'm taken to a glitched out Intel page when attempting to navigate to premier.intel.com and informed that it couldn't recognize me to authorize my use of the page contents. And any attempt to contact support has landed on deaf ears.

~Plystire

A rose is only a rose until it is held and cherished -- then it becomes a treasure.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 10:26
Have you tried using the USB key that came with the UB? I'm sure this is where I installed them from.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 15:46
Sorry if I'm being dense here but how do I actually package my app for submission to Intel? I mean, the sensor version of AppGameKit doesn't include an interpreter project so what do I integrate my bytecode into? Surely it wont work with an earlier interpreter project because the commands weren't implemented then, right? Thanks for any help with this.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 15:50 Edited at: 15th Nov 2012 15:51
Lucas, just package everything except your source code from the project folder (remember to remove the source text file from the media folder). The executable in the project folder is the interpreter.

Edit: or did you mean Tier 2?

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 16:53
Quote: "Lucas, just package everything except your source code from the project folder (remember to remove the source text file from the media folder). The executable in the project folder is the interpreter."

But wait, is that integrated with the AppUp SDK? Where to I put my GUID in?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 17:36
Not sure about that actually... I'm not using the AppUp SDK.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 17:40
Quote: "Not sure about that actually... I'm not using the AppUp SDK."

So can you publish through AppUp without using the AppUp SDK? I mean, it's a free app so I don't care about AppUp verification or anything. It's just that I thought one of the criteria for submitting your app was that it played ball with the AppUp validation system.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 17:47
It's been lifted as a validation criteria. You can submit free and paid apps without the SDK if you want to.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 21:16:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 21:16:45