Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Newton Physics SDK running in DBPro!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 22:39
currently the CreateTreeCollision command?@only supports objects... so a matrix will not currently work. however it appears to work with the new Terrain plugin (as long as you keep the heightmap small), so I would personally suggest that.

as for the other matrices (the math ones), you don't need to understand them to use Newton, but it can certainly help. There are LOTS of pages on the web that explain them very clearly, a little time spent on Google should give you all the information you'll need.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Physics coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 01:06
here's my idea of the identity matrix and the transformation stuff:
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

for the transformation to be the direction of the axises
the first row:
1 0 0 makes it so the relative x axis is the global x axis
kind of like x=1 y=0 z=0, and the x direction is a vector or something
I'm guessing 0 1 0 would be x=0 y=1 z=0, and the x axis would be pointed up.

so if all three rows are vectors for the axis, you could skew the object to the left, like:
1 0 0
1 1 0
0 0 1
this would make the x axis normal, y axis at 45 degrees, and the z axis normal.
if you keep the vectors perpendicular, the object would appear unskewed, just rotated.

turning an object along the y axis, with an angle of a# would be like:
sin(a#+90) 0 cos(a#+90)

0 1 0

sin(a#) 0 cos(a#)

also i wonder if doubling the value in the matrix would double the scale of the object. I like normal rotation .

-----------------------------------
To delete the bug, delete the code.
Specs: Sony VAIO Laptop, Windows XP, P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 64MB video memory, DBP Upgrade 5.3.
X3N0Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 02:09
Thanks phisics coder, I'll sit and have a think about that and try and get my head round it some time!

OK, regarding the DBP Matrices in Newton: I've managed to create a Memblock version of a DBP Matrix (hooray!), and made a Mesh from that, and then made an Object from that. So I now have a duplicate of the Matrix essentially, but as a DBP Object. I send that to NDB_NEWTONCREATETREECOLLISION and all is well. I call NDB_NEWTONCREATEBODY with the data from NDB_NEWTONCREATETREECOLLISION and all is NOT well. The program crashes out with no error. So I'm wondering, does the wrapper expect something in the object data that isn't there due to the way it's been created from Memblock -> Mesh -> Object? The normal data on the vertices just points straight up vertically as I can't be bothered to deal with it right now, and each vertex has a random diffuse colour assigned to it. Would either of these cause problems? Having said all that I'll go try out the Terrain system (didn't realise it was out ), but if anyone has any idea what might be up I'm open to suggestions 'cuz it's bugging me something terrible...

X3N0

By the Great Wolf... it actually WORKS!!!
Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire Gimme That Which I Desire!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 08:57 Edited at: 12th Jul 2004 13:29
X3N0Wolf as far as I know you are the first person to ry newton with matrices... please send me some example source code so I can try to debug the problem!!

also, are you sure that it crashed on the CreateBody command? if so, the problem is probably in your source, not the wrapper. but if it crashes on the CreateTreeCollision command, then it's probably in the wrapper.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 16:34
here's a simple explanation of matrices (the math ones).

a rotation matrix (the most common in 3D applications) can be thought of as 3 unit vectors. a unit vector is a vector with a length of 1 unit. the 3 vectors represent the 3 axis, X, Y, and Z. so the Identity Matrix looks like this:

1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

the first row represents the X axis, the next 3 represent the Y axis, and the last 3 represent the Z axis. as you can see, this describes no rotation, because the X-axis is pointing in the X direction, the Y in the Y direction, etc.

now imagine you flip the object 180 degrees around the Z axis. the matrix would look like this:

-1 0 0
0 -1 0
0 0 1

the X-axis now points in the negative direction, the Y-axis now points in the negative Y direction, and the Z-axis is unchanged.

that's basically how matrix rotation works. each row is a unit vector, describing the orientation of one of the 3 axis'.

the matrices in Newton are actually 4x4, with the 4th row being the offset (position) information.

matrices are REALLY usefull, because you can determine things VERY easily. for example in my bowling game, I can determine if a pin has fallen down by simply examining the Y component of the object's Y-axis (2nd row of the matrix). if the pin is standing up, this number should be very close to 1. if the pin has fallen, this number should be < 1. it works perfect every time, and would be nearly impossible to determine just from the 3 euler angles dbpro provides.

you can also use this concept to determine which way a car is facing, etc. very usefull once you get used to it.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2004 23:25
Newton DBPro Forum ONLINE

I've started a forum just for the Newton DBPro wrapper. users please come and sign up!

I'll continue to check this board, and post announcements (new versions) etc, but I'd like for users to post questions/suggestions, etc. on the new board. Anything regarding Newton and DBPro belongs there!!

http://walaber.proboards23.com/

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Physics coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 03:29 Edited at: 13th Jul 2004 03:55
Is there a way to turn off "NDB_NewtonBodySetTransformCallback body"

I want to position and rotate boxes, but I need to turn on the callback for it to rotate, but I want the boxes to not be able to move. could the next version have a command to turn off callbacks?
I can set the mass to 100000 or something, but the main reason is it might be slowing down the program.

Without the callback on, the box is created and positioned, but not rotated.
EDIT: I guess rotating the object manually works too without the callback on

-----------------------------------
To delete the bug, delete the code.
Specs: Sony VAIO Laptop, Windows XP, P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 64MB video memory, DBP Upgrade 5.3.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 12:20
Phisics Coder - I've moved your last post over to the new forum, so go check there!

Ragdoll Monkey Bowling is almost complete!! in the final stages of development now.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 19:12
UPDATE

I've decided to release an "interim" release of the wrapper. I should have the download ready within 24 hours. The version number will not change, but the ragdoll and buoyancy commands will now be available, along with the ragdoll tutorial.

With the upcoming competition, I thought it would be best to make these commands available to all users, as they may want to use ragdoll physics or buoyancy in their competition entries.

I will be leaving town for about 10 days on the 26th, so I wanted to get these commands released there before the competition is officially annonunced.

The next official release will follow the upcoming patch to the Newton SDK, which will add vehicle physics support, and a ray-cast system. I imagine it will be available before the competition ends.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 04:34
Coolness, thanks for taking the time to do this. Hopefully, this will result in some killer entries in the next contest.
--
TAZ

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 10:12
Version 1.23a released!

http://walaber.dbspot.com/ndb/NDBv_123a.exe

or get it at my website. it includes the complete ragdoll tutorial, buoyancy commands, and other updates.

the most useful new command is probably the NDB_BuildMatrix command, have a look at it!

have fun, I hope some people decide to use Newton in the compo

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 06:21 Edited at: 24th Jul 2004 06:38
"Component 'TABCTL32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid" The install thingy doesn't work

[EDIT] Plus I just upgraded to 5.4 and registerred it, now none of the Newton examples or my Newton progs work, it doesn't seem to recognise the commands, even tho the stuff's still in the pluginsuser thingy Any ideas?

Quikly Studio Pro. Soon. Honest.
The Videogameaholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 06:41
http://videogameaholic.dbspot.com/Dominatrix.rar

Just something I threw together really fast (hense version 0.006 (the 6 has a special meaning ))

It's nothing big, but it managed to keep me amused for a while.

RMPVG (Real Men Play Video Games)
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 07:41 Edited at: 24th Jul 2004 07:41
Quote: ""Component 'TABCTL32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid" The install thingy doesn't work "

Lol, looks like it's time for me to get on with that new version of TPC Installer

tabctl32 is a fairly common windows tab control, surprised you didn't have it.

It's very heartening to see somebody use it!

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 09:30
Kangaroo2 BETA2 the wrapper works fine with 5.4 / 5.5, you must have a problem with the install.

David T - any ETA on that new version?

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 18:53 Edited at: 24th Jul 2004 19:09
Lol I downloaded tabctl32.ocx & now it can't find richtx32.ocx I'll try and find that and edit back my progress
[EDIT] Now it needs mscomctl.ocx! Are these MS libraries that I would have lost when I uninstalled visual studio?
[EDIT] Yay! Works now

The second demo doesn't work for me, but then it never has :S don't know why. Other than that everythings fine and hunky dory. I love the ragdolls, I'm gonna have fun with these Thanks all!

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 19:00 Edited at: 24th Jul 2004 19:00
Quote: "it can't find richtx32.ocx "

That's scary, that's a very common one.

Quote: "mscomctl.ocx"

Scarier still, that's a fundamental part of windows :o

Quote: "David T - any ETA on that new version?"

The bug fixes are all ready to go - it's the ocx compiler that's going to take some time.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 19:12
"Scarier still, that's a fundamental part of windows :o"
Hmm well I'm using a FULL install of a LEGAL copy of XPHome, with ALL of the MS updates, even the unneccessary ones and I only use that pc for Dbpro so no worries of virii or spyware Maybe like I said its cos I haven't got VB or VC++ installed on that pc?

Anyways have downloaded the files and all works fine now Thank you!

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 19:15
Hmm. Even my laptop which only has MS Office on ran the installer. I'm very surprised to see you haven't got comctl32

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 01:36
Kangaroo2 - a fair amount of people seem to be unable to compile demo02... what *exactly* is the error that occurs?

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 02:13
Walaber - is it possible to add a feature where ragdolls are created according to object limbs? I have a fully limb-ed object but don't have characterFX - is it possible to still use my model?

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 10:57
the only requirement is that the limbs axis' ba aligned with the local X-axis pointing in the direction of the limb. that is it... CharacterFX makes doing this easy, but I'm sure it can be done with other software as well.

note- in theory it might even be possible without alligning the bones, but by using the NDB_RagDollBoneSetOffset command in a clever manner... I've never tried it myself, but you never know. if you have a simple model you'd like to send me, I could give it a try.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 09:09
update

I'll be out of town on business until August 4th. hopefully when I get back, the newest Newton patch will be out, and I can start wrapping it.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 18:06
Okay thanks.

Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
hey guys look, i had this system for loading newton objects (its a few pages back) but now its not working so well so this is what i want:

anyone whos been working with the wrapper, what system have you been using for loading and moving objects because it takes several commands to do these things do you use custom functions or what? if so could i see a little code snippet? it would help alot to see how people other then walaber are coding in the engine.

thanks,
doug

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 12:47
While playing with the rag-doll demo I use a function to load and set up the model. I then use impulse commands to kick the model around.

Example of a test punch and hop code. SC is the scancode value. gLift and gLHand are global bone IDs from the rag-doll setup function.

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 13:43 Edited at: 5th Aug 2004 13:43
just a note, my dbspot website has gone down (I was one of the users with over 30MB)... so no downloads available at the moment.

I'm in the process of getting my own website now, should be up within 2 days. I'll post again when it's ready.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 00:07
got the new website up and working, just waiting for the domain name to register

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 12:48
still waiting for the domain to register, but the URL will be:

http://walaber.com this site has a 5GB/day transfer limit, so it should be nice and fast (it was surprisingly cheap too)

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
How cheap/where from? Just curious as my dbspot was deleted and I need lots of space (sorry if this is not 'on topic').

coincidence? how about pure cosmic convergence!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 06:57
http://www.powweb.com - about 7.00 US / MONTH, you pay yearly. 1GB account.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 22:25
for those who can access the site, version 1.23b has been released, with an updated TreeCollision command that works for very high-poly meshes! download it from the usual place.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 22:44
Don't you have like an IP or something we can use until the domain activates? lol

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
game Spacer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yay walabers live
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 08:38
allright

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 09:36
...Is it just me that can't see the site then?

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 13:19
probably the doman hasn't quite filtered through to all of the indices yet... I'm in Japan and I can see the site now. anyone else can't see it? http://walaber.com

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 17:54
So it is just me, damn.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 18:55
Mister Mold Rat - there is a folder called "wrapper" where you unzipped the download.

copy the "NDB.dll" file into your DarkBasic "compiler\plugins-user" directory.

copy the "keywords_ndb.ini" file into the DarkBasic "editor\keywords" directory

to see the help in your IDE, copy the "NDB_docs.html" file into the DarkBasic "help" directory.

that should do it!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 00:14
yeah, there are LOTS of things you are missing. look at the demo source code, it explains each command as it goes. you need to call several more functions, and setup a lot more values to get a fully working simulation. further questions please sign up to my Newton Wrapper forum (there's a button on my website for it)

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 05:38
:/ you should really update your first post and update the index page at dbspot How long has your new site been up^_^ I would've loved to have the dll this last weekend to get playing with it

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 15:57
The site still doesn't work for me.

Could someone please email me the latest version? My address is in the profile below this post. Thanks.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 01:45
you can access the site at a temp address http://timfitz.temp.powweb.com, but that will only last for about another 20 days. hopefully by then you'll be able to see the site at the proper domain address.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 12:28
version 1.23c released!

another interim release.

this one adds 2 big new commands:

NDB_NewtonTreeCollisionSerialize - this command will save previously built TreeCollision data to an external file, which you can then load at runtime. this is MUCH faster than building the TreeCollision data live.

NDB_NewtonCreateTreeCollisionFromSerialization - use this function to load data saved with the above command.

http://walaber.com/ndb/NDBv_123c.exe

----

I've also added a Serializer utility program to aid developers. you simply select the input object file, and it generates the TreeCollision file for you. then in your project you load the data with the above command.

http://walaber.com/ndb/serializer.exe

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 16:46
Uhh... that temp address doesn't work either!!

I'm still getting a "Cannot find server" error, what's up with that? o_O

I remember the old site worked for me so why won't the new one? Why?!!!!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 18:58
there must be something going on with your ISP or something, no one else seems to have trouble seeing the site... I can e-mail you the file if you want though...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 15:45
Yes, I'm guessing that's the problem as well, I'll have to do some more testing to find out if it's the ISP or just my LAN.

Meanwhile could you please email me the latest version to TheExeat@Gmail.com - Thanks, I've always wanted to give Newton a try!

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 17:45
Check your inbox.

You should have it now

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 18:05
thanks Scraggle