Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Open Source Community FPS Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2004 06:48
yes it is in the same directory as the code, i copied everything that was unziped other than the exe into the "Da Codez" directory and was trying to compile it from there...

Sparring - Loved by many, Pefected by few.

"I'm going to live forever, or DIE IN THE ATTEMPT!!!"
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 02:18
*Hits self over the head very hard *

That was the NG collision Dll (which I'm not actually using I think, though it needs it to compile). You need this dll (sparky's collision dll) in your compiler/user-plugins folder. Sorry bout that .

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 23:00
Badname - Have you finished that Beretta yet? Be really cool to get some nice weapons in the game.

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 06:32 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 06:41
Ha Ha!! it's working *big evil smile*

Now I shall get to work on music, I'm sure I can find some free songs on the web somewhere to use as testsongs, maby Soundclick would have some...

Thanks for the help,
CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 21:35
just downloaded the demo and this is looking pretty nice

just to let you know, i did experience two bugs.
the first was i fell through the map when i jumped (at least i think it was jumping, i pressed the space bar)
and the second was the gun didn't always load (get rotated) in the correct position
here are some screens to show what i mean:
http://www.lucidintegration.com/dbpro/fpsalpha1.jpg
http://www.lucidintegration.com/dbpro/fpsalpha2.jpg

just some suggestions:
•put an invisible bounding box around the character and use collision detection with it and the map... the reason for this is to prevent the character from seeing through walls or having the gun partially vanish
•implement alternate fire (LMB=primary, RMB=alternate) even if both firing methods are the same
•mouse wheel cycles through weapons

i haven't looked at the source at all but if you want/need any help, i'm fairly willing
i'm pretty good with graphics/modeling and i'm a decent coder (well, except for anything AI related)

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 02:02 Edited at: 8th Nov 2004 02:06
Well, lots of people have mentioned the spacebar thing now, it was just for degugging, and wasn't jumping and I took it out. The gun loading thing does happen every now and again. It happens when the loop speed variable jumps so high that the gun rotation turns to #IND or whatever it is, then it can't get out of it. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this really, apart from putting limits on the loop speed variable.

The bounding box is an idea, but unfortunately I can only do 6 way raycasting at the moment, as NGC free version doesn't work well with objects arranged in a grid. If anyone can think of a better collision method then I'll gladly hear it .

Alternate firing will be put in soon . And that was the idea for the controls.

Mouse wheel I thought was usually used for scope zoom? What are everyone elses opinions about this?

If you wanted to do some coding then suggest what kind of thing you'd like to do. Media would be cool . I'm not sure what kind of thing you'd like to do though.

Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 03:42
Quote: "Mouse wheel I thought was usually used for scope zoom? What are everyone elses opinions about this?"

Most FPS games use it to scroll trough the inventory, but all the gamers I know just use the keys from 1 to 0, becouse it's faster.

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800+, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce4 Ti4400 128mb
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 15:55 Edited at: 8th Nov 2004 15:55
Quote: "all the gamers I know just use the keys from 1 to 0"

wow, really? must be a sub-conscious difference in culture or something because everybody i know uses the wheel... well i use the keyboard sometimes in UT but only for the sniper rifle and the translocator.
the best system for switching weapons, in my opinion, was implemented in Red Faction. you were able to select an item by pressing the associated key or by using the mouse wheel. using the wheel would bring up a display of your weapons and you could scroll through them to select your weapon. by doing this, your current weapon was fully functional right up until the point when you made the change. so while you're scrolling through and deciding which weapon to chose, you current weapon can still fire.
well, i guess what i just wrote doesn't really make sense unless you've played red faction, but it was a great system nonetheless

Quote: "Mouse wheel I thought was usually used for scope zoom? What are everyone elses opinions about this?"

I have seen the wheel used for zoom before but this is rather rare. usually scope zoom is done by holding down RMB and shooting with LMB

here is a partial list of keys and what they commonly do in FPS games (or at least what i like them to do ):

Quote: "If you wanted to do some coding then suggest what kind of thing you'd like to do. Media would be cool . I'm not sure what kind of thing you'd like to do though."

well...i'm not really sure what kinda thing i'd like to do either. and i'm not sure how much i could help with coding right now. i have to play catch-up on DB. so many new things to mess with since the last time i was here.
anyway, for starters, i have some media you can use (http://www.lucidintegration.com/dbpro/media.zip). i've created these all so you don't have to worry about copyright or anything like that. all the sound files were created using SoundForge, Fruity Loops, and a mic (well, on one of the files i used 2 mics and a half-stack). the models still need a lot of work though. they are still kinda high poly (about 350) and a lot of that can be reduced by welding vertices together. and none of them are textured because i'm not good at that. most of them are still in MAX format but i no longer have 3DStudio... i had to give that back when i quit my last job
and if anybody else wants to use this stuff they can. i don't really care about credits or anything so it's basically royalty free, non right-managed, FREE rubbish for the taking.

ha, and i just won an unreal tournament competition... 963 kills and 18 deaths... ich bin dein Schöpfer (well, maybe just a little)

i guess it's about time for me to stop my prolonged babbling...

Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 20:27
Quote: "wow, really? must be a sub-conscious difference in culture or something because everybody i know uses the wheel..."

guess you've never played counter-strike then, one of the worlds most played games

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800+, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce4 Ti4400 128mb
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 20:53
actually, you're almost right... i played it once but never really liked it. i've always been a quake/doom/unreal fan.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2004 03:58
Ok, I've added a config file, so now you can edit the controls easily and I'll try and improve the controls atm to make them suit everyone's needs .

The models are a bit on the boxy side, but then you said they need more work. Some of the sound effects sound usable, and the music is pretty good . You make that?

Update

Just added in a particles module, and got an example with smoke/dust rising when a bullet hits a surface. The particles also move out in the direction of the surface and drift upwards globally. Should be able to put this to use quite effectively .

Attachments

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 03:25 Edited at: 11th Nov 2004 03:26
Badname, you actually there any more? Be good if I could have your email address.

Fixed up the particle system so you can load them in via files. Go two particle effects now when bullets hit the walls, smoke and debris...

Attachments

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 04:47
Wicked.

You are not alone.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 02:25
Ok, the first actual team position that needs filling . Check out below....

Weapon Skinner
Weapon skinner needed to texture weapons being made by our new modeller, forum alias "Professor". Weapons will be already UV mapped, and just need a texture. Textures need to be fairly high detail, preferably 1024x1024 for large weapons, maybe 512x512 for smaller weapons like pistols. If you're interested please post an example of what your work . You must be able to do quite a few weapons, maybe the full arsenal depending on how many Prof gets done . Check the website-->docs-->concepts for weapon concepts.

Cheers!

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 05:04
@Hammish on my birthday (nov 17th.) i might get MilkShape..if i do then you can expect some models from me..and i if don't...then i'll buy it and THEN you'll get some models from me

anyway...looks like nice FX when you hit the walls

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 05:29
Sounds good. Can you texture them yourself too? I'll make sure no-one does the ones with the concept pics.

Badname
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 05:40 Edited at: 13th Nov 2004 06:19
Ey, sorry for not lettign hear of myself i had a tests week @ school, so now i am mentaly tired out for some deays lol

Anyway i did work on some barrels!

Going to finish the baretta this weekend I hope and start unwrapping it.
Ey I just red about that skinner position show me the models and if their nice i'll texture them! (I like textureing better than modeling )

[edit]some more pics
http://www.apollostudio.nl/badname/pics/barrel-render.jpg

3D modeler & Texture artist
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2004 05:52
Way hey!!! Badname is back . I was afraid you'd fallen off the edge of the earth or something . Can you email me your email, and/or msn if you have it, then it'd be a lot easier to contact you .

Those barrels are very very nice . We really ought to get something more substantial organized for a level editor. I'm thinking maybe we should make an exception for the editor, and use BlueGUI 2, since it takes a lot of work out of the UI aspect of the editor. If someone really wanted to edit the editor, they'd just have to go an spend tuppence on BGUI .

Professor is currently finishing an assult rifle and a sniper rifle, they look pretty good, so I or he, will post a screenie of them once they are finished. Darkcoder also donated a hand model, a machine gun, silenced pistol (may as well use it as well as your beretta) and a knife (not sure what to do with that at the moment), the latter 3 are all animated for firing, although I think we may animate them again (along with reload anims) as they don't really have the impact and solidity I'd imagine a firing gun to have. But the models and textures themselves are fantastic.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 00:24 Edited at: 14th Nov 2004 00:25
@Hammish- Well i can UV map them...and i could try to texture them...but it'd be ugly

Badname
Years of Service
User Offline

Thnx to hammish for putting them ingame =-)

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 10:22
Sorry I've been hovering in the background doing nothing since I originally helped Hamish pen the new announcment... but I'll just drop in to say, it's looking damn good . Congrats everyone who's been contributing so far. This is definatly the staple for open community DBP development at this point.

[center]
The majority of voters agree that 49% != wrong.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 11:07
sheet that looks hell of nasty, nice work hamish.

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 23:53
This is soooo cool i think that you can sell it when its finished..

need help with programming?
Add me to your msn
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 01:34 Edited at: 15th Nov 2004 02:36
Quote: "Sorry I've been hovering in the background doing nothing since I originally helped Hamish pen the new announcment... but I'll just drop in to say, it's looking damn good . Congrats everyone who's been contributing so far. This is definatly the staple for open community DBP development at this point."

Heh, cheers mouse.

Quote: "sheet that looks hell of nasty, nice work hamish."

I didn't make any of the media .

Quote: "K so where is the open source?"

In the download. That's the old source. Will release new source soon enough, along with new demo .

Quote: "This is soooo cool i think that you can sell it when its finished.. "

Cheers, but it wouldn't be much of a community project if it was sold and had a closed team with closed source.

Jimmeh - You still up for doing any muzak?

RobX - You still up for doing that UI art?

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 02:42
I could have a go art the 2D art.

What do you need?
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 02:58 Edited at: 15th Nov 2004 02:59
Basic GUI stuff, a health bar, ammo decals (like shells), maybe boxes or areas for the text to be displayed (eg. health, weapon names, weapon decals, ammo (take into account there may be two types of ammo), maybe an area for other information to go, like if you had a mission to do, or maybe points for a game like capture the flag. I'm not sure what screen res you want to assume, but make all the images separate so you can scale the gui down without scaling the image res., to account for different screen resolutions. Maybe if you did a rough layout wip for us to see, and we can comment on it . That way we'll be sure to get what we actually want without having a pissed off artist who spent years on his masterpiece only to find it's not what is needed .

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 03:08
BTW, we need a project name (and therefore a project logo, and a cool one at that ). "DBPro Community First Person Shooter" just doesn't seem to have the kick a project name needs . It's open to suggestions...

The dude guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 06:59
It depends what the storyline is... It could be named anything otherwise.

Here's my forums www.andrewtamalunas.proboards28.com . Please join!

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Its looking nice so far guys keep up the good work.

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 11:31
looks pretty good. Who did the p90 in that screenshot?

Guns can look really good if you disable mip mapping on them.

Buy it
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 12:48
Quote: "RobX - You still up for doing that UI art?
"

nah i changed my mind, instead of doing somethign for the db community i decided to keep on askign for code help and media.... Of course im still up for help, i got gimp and im starting to get the hang of that, though i still wish i had photoshop back, but i should be able to make the chat avatars no probs, just give me an idea of what kinda box outline you want and wether you want the static over the image etc. then give me avatars.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 21:53 Edited at: 15th Nov 2004 21:54
Quote: "It depends what the storyline is... It could be named anything otherwise."

read the design doc...it's going to be more of a arena game...(like Unreal Tournament)

How about "Bash Brothers"

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2004 00:53 Edited at: 16th Nov 2004 01:13
Quote: "nah i changed my mind, instead of doing somethign for the db community i decided to keep on askign for code help and media.... Of course im still up for help, i got gimp and im starting to get the hang of that, though i still wish i had photoshop back, but i should be able to make the chat avatars no probs, just give me an idea of what kinda box outline you want and wether you want the static over the image etc. then give me avatars. "

Hmm, I'm not really sure that's needed, can't we just overlay the avatars onto the UI, they wouldn't need editing then, and besides, the point is people use their own avatars?

Quote: "looks pretty good. Who did the p90 in that screenshot?

Guns can look really good if you disable mip mapping on them."

Darkcoder did the model and anims, I think someone else did the texture, but I'm not 100% certain on that. You'll see DavidT has the same models too .

I'll try disabling mipmapping. It could make it look better.

<EDIT>Heh, mipmapping makes it look a lot better. Check out attached screenie for results.<EDIT>

Quote: "Quote: "It depends what the storyline is... It could be named anything otherwise."
read the design doc...it's going to be more of a arena game...(like Unreal Tournament)"

Yeah, an arena game really, no storyline (as such, but it could have themed levels ).

Quote: "How about "Bash Brothers" "

Uh ...

Attachments

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 08:15
Mabey "russian roulete" as a name(notice touch of sarcasam)

Q1. What program did you use to make that font? I've been trying to make a new font but the numbers keept getting screwed up and misalligned and overlapping, not good.

Q2. Is it just me or is there some sort of ghosted object in the room? If there is, what is it?

Note to hamish - I'm going to start working on the music module soon, just that i've got tons of homework piling up i was sick, etc... soo I'm getting to work on that tonight since i have some time...

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 21:43
well today's my birthday...i'll see if i get milkshape

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 01:55
Happy birthday Peter_!

Pøõf&#277;ssõø
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 02:29
CPU - The font, which Ben Ward made, I believe is made in Photoshop. To make it, the image has to be divided into a uniform grid, with each letter entirely inside it's own grid section.

There are particle effects in the screen, smoke and tracers, both of which use ghosted particles.

Peter - Yehay!

6r1m r34p0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 05:28 Edited at: 18th Nov 2004 05:40
Hoe about the name, "Sacred"? That was my favourite javascript survival horror game. Also, i've got a G36, and i have got something to say. My attachments are Counter Strike Freeware, but cannot be used commercially.

Attachments

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 08:10
How are you making the text on screen? Is it MANY sprites (ie 1 per character) OR are you memblocking an image?

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 09:26
Hamish, am I still working on this? I'd love to get reinvolved, but I fear its too late

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 12:32
Quote: "Hmm, I'm not really sure that's needed, can't we just overlay the avatars onto the UI, they wouldn't need editing then, and besides, the point is people use their own avatars?
"

well it'd be better if i got all the db communities custom avatars and formatted them to fit one size, that way it can be selected with the profile from a server side database, instead of uploading the avatar to each server. Cause if you make your own it could be compressed by the game but may lose quality, but if i worked on it i could make a more regulated quality. otherwise you'd have to make code for the hud to align itself with irregular sized avatars which wouldnt work too well. Although most programs with patches/avatars have their "make your own" program built in, where it lets you edit a space set for the avatar/patch, but that sounds liek a lot of stuffin around for a minor part of the program. easier just to edit them before hand and have them stored on a server to be accessed by a player profile with the right password etc.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 14:06
When will the site/demo be back up?

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 19:18
By the way, I could do music.

"And C++ has 2 version Microsoft visual C++ and Bordland C++."
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 20:34
@Uberwiggett robx:

A suggestion.. Make the code so it detects the size of the image and if it isn't say 32x32, then just use a default avatar.. or the "I'm a retard" avatar Then if you KNOW the avatar is gonna be 32x32 (or maybe the same aspect but you can scale it using a sprite) then you know where to put the top left.

Iain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 20:49
Is there anything that i can do, i would love to get involved.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2004 21:25 Edited at: 19th Nov 2004 01:18
oh well i didn't get milkshape i'll try an buy it now...

i did get a M16A3 AireSoft gun ...my dad got one also (also i got a cd, Return of the King Piano book, and $5 from me little sister)

[edit]w00t got milkeshape fully registered! i'm gonna go make that gun (the helgun)

Badname
Years of Service
User Offline
pter if you got that gun and got a digicam make a high res pic of it man!! for referance and texture use

Badname's FREE MODEL PACKS @ http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=42656&b=3
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2004 04:28 Edited at: 19th Nov 2004 04:42
ok i've finished the HelGun it's all UV mapped and everything (just not textured)

Download it here(203 KBs)
Note: i sent you 3 versions...Normal,Smooth, and extra smooth...(only the first is UV Mapped!!) i sent you the smooth ones because they look cool in some ways but not in others...so you can choose which you like better

[edit] ..well...i looked at it in DBPro and it's 1144 Polys...don't know if that's too much but..i don't sugest using the smooth versions

normal version
Pic-(MilkeShape render)
-BMP here (click the link..it's much better then jpg )
-Jpg

tell me if you like it

@Badname- yeah i'm actually thinking of modeling it...because i just got milkeshape so i'm really feeling like modeling...and it's REALLY realistic...i saw a M16 in the newspaper and it looked just like mine(except without a orange tip)

Badname
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah airsoft are like identic replicas =-) damn here they arent allowed :< even a bb gun is illigal lol

but eyif you would be so kind to share your side picture and top ect if you want to, that would be nice =-)

beretta is almost ready! then gotta fix the texture (this is temp)

Badname's FREE MODEL PACKS @ http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=42656&b=3
Mitchell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2004 05:58
looks great

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"
- Shigeru Miyamoto

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:41:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:41:46