Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Open Source Community FPS Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2004 16:55
Where can I get the latest version of the game?
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2004 01:56 Edited at: 6th Dec 2004 01:58
I'm not really sure when to release a demo. The next demo was going to be simple multiplayer, but Mussi seems very busy at the moment with his other main project, so I can't really force him to finish the multiplayer bit. I think a new level would be a good idea for the next demo, although we aren't going to get any level done without textures on the models .

The website appears to still be down. I have talked to my hosts about it, but they said they were doing all they could to fix it. To be honest, I'm not conviced it's going to come back online any time soon, I may have to use my old hosting provided by Lagmaster .

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Game Freak10K
Years of Service
User Offline
Yo! My PC's been bugged out for a month, just got it up and running again....g*d d*mn adware, spyware, fagware, Bushware..etc etc

Anyways!, Hamish, hows this for a project name:
CFPS-Community First Person Shooter
You know....like FPSC, just different...you know...ahem*

Peter_, The Helgun model ROCKS!. I never thought Id see that model come to life. Keep up the good work!
Everyone give yourself a hand and a pat on the back, you deserve it!

Comics and Games-Bread and Butter.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 13:41
Hmm I seemed to have missed the post before. Yes Peter, very nice HelGun model. I'm shocked to see my ideas come to life . Great job.

Yu Une
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 18:09
@Hamish McHaggis guess your site is overloaded so I'll try later.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 01:56 Edited at: 10th Dec 2004 01:58
@GAme Freak and Mouse- Thanks! glad you guys like it...

Okay i finally finished the "high poly" version (sorry it took me so long...still getting used to MS+my laziness=long time)

and for some weird reason DBPro (and MS rendering thingy) both say it has 3504 polys!!...it's almost as if i had two of in there (because at first it looked like it was sizing up to 1700 polys) but i tried selecting everything...then weilding vertices...then inverting the selection and deleting...but i still had all 3504 polys

Pics-
Bmp!!!
jpg- (in DarkBasicPro)

Download- 200KBs (same place as before)

i put both the "high" poly (3504!) and the original(1144 poly) version in the file...and both have a 512*512 texture and a 1024*1024 texture...you can use whichever you want...

i also included a ms3d version of the highpoly model in there...if somebody else can open it up and figure out what's wrong then you'd make my day

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 03:55 Edited at: 10th Dec 2004 03:56
Nice model Peter! Well while every one else is posting weapons i gues i'll post one of a M4/M203 ive been working on.

This is still a W.I.P model, there will no doubt be changes to the scope on the rifle, for one the scope that size would be a pretty hi power on a rifle thats not mdae for long range combat so where going for a acog 4x scope right now, The model is 1039 Polys and 2560 Triangles.

any coments are welcome
Thanks
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 07:41
Quote: "acog 4x "

you play America's Army???

203...acog 4x...m4...

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 07:57
well an acog is the standard sight for an m4a1 sopmod not like americas army invented it ^^

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 08:45
Yes i have americas army, just because you saw a gun called M4 or M4/203 on a game doesnt mean that they invented it.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 22:00 Edited at: 10th Dec 2004 22:00
lol..i know...it's just that in america's army you use a m4 alot..and in most other games you don't...(most prefer m16)

also i assumed you aren't in the military so you probably wouldn't know what a m4 is

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 23:32
Yes i know what a m4 is (thats what im modeling) and no im not in the millitary.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2004 00:25
yeah....

i was just making a guess that you played AA because somebody usually wouldn't pick a M4 with those exact mods...unless they were asociated with the Special forces...or played AA

anyway what's your username in AA? (mines [11W]Hunter...measly 35 honor)

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2004 02:08
My connection isnt fast enough I usaly play over a LAN when some of my friends come over
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2004 03:43
Quote: "I usaly play over a LAN when some of my friends come over "

okay...lan can be fun

i'll stop hi-jacking the thread now

and go play a TWL match with my clan...

6r1m r34p0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Id like to see a Maverick M4A1 with a rail 12x Flash Handler sight.
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2004 06:03
Hey hamish - i've got the music module just about finished and i was wondering if you wanted me to post it here or e-mail it to you. I'm putting the final touches on it and it turned out real nice, early merry christmas present, maby now you can umm, return the favor and post a new version befor christmas, but don't tell anyone i'm looking forward to it

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2004 06:21
Heh, maybe I can . It's up to you whether you email or post here, I'm happy either way.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2004 15:19
yay i formatted and got rid off all my stuff including everythign that i backed up onto cd cause the cd's were stuffed cause of some dodgey dodgerson windows error! btu the good news is I have photoshop 7 ! but I lost all the heroquest stuff I worked on why does my computer hate me?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2004 19:38
@ open mind

no sutch thing as a maverick m4a1, colt make the m4a1 seems youve been getting your information from counterstrike , and the main scope for an m4a1 would be a trijicon agog, rarely a night vision sight or a red dot sight, not sure what in the hell rail a 12x Flash Handler sight is

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2004 08:54 Edited at: 13th Dec 2004 08:56
Hey hamish,
Here it is and merry christmas... the moudule itself is should be easy just to plop in. But there are some things that need to be addressed...

1. when you first plop it in you need to put somewhere a call to function MUS_doAction(weight as float) whenever you fire a gun or do somthing inportant (like maby all of a sudden the boss appears in front of you), weight is how "important" the action is.

2. when you load the playlists, it assumes this is the only "modual" loading the music, and that once the master playlist is loaded that it will never be deleted and reloaded (unless the app is restarted of course)

3. inside the music directory, you need a new folder called "playlists" and another folder called "songs" (for obvious reasons) but if you want to name them somthing different you can change the constants at the top of the module

4. The playlist filetype:
i've attached a sample playlist and here is a definition of what the different lines do (i used the script reader you already have built in)

sample playlist (save as .dpl) - dark play list

Definitions:

5. some last notes:
> you can change how long the songs take to fade between each other by changing the constant C_SONGFADETIME
> you can disable fading between songs by calling MUS_playEntireSong(C_SONGFADEOFF)
> you can display debuging info by setting the constant C_MUSICDEBUGON to one (I'd recomend doing this when your putting it in and playing with the integeration, it will be very helpfull me thinks)
> i didn't include any music caus it would just make this post to big, but all you have to do is plop some music in the directory, add it to the playlist and off you go...
> only one playlist is loaded at the moment, no level switching or main menu yet as far as i know so just change the playlist name to whatever you make yours in the "setupMusic()" function
> post any questions/comments here, i probably check this forum more than my e-mail.

and here's the music module

Happy listening,
CPU

IS
[center]
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2004 19:30
Heh, very nice, can't wait to try it out . I'll comment more when I get home. I feel kinda stupid now, as I did away with that "script" format and replaced it with standard text files, which aren't so reader friendly, but potentially a lot faster, as I figured all the extra text would increase loading times. I could re-introduce it, or I could just create a simple text format for your music files. Will you mind if I change it, the rest of the module will stay the same.

Cheers.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 04:09
Hammish..did you see my post at all?

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 08:32
I'm not sure how much speed improving just simple text files would be, personaly i liked the scripting system, made it easy to make and edit the playlists. But anyways i can redo that section myself, cause I'll probably be able to do it the fastest, just tell me what you mean by "simple" text files and I'll get on it.

CPU

IS
[center]
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2004 16:45
Peter - I did see your post, just I forgot to reply . Looks really excellent, I can already imagine it ingame . Is it already UV mapped then? Cos we really need a texturer for all these excellent models that are coming out, including the level that Prof has been making.

On that note, the level we are planning to make is a paintball arena style thing (hence the bridge and hut above ). It will use all .x objects, so no DBPro terrain. The current thought is to have an entrance area with a gate, then a dirt road leading through the middle, then two bunkers in the rockfaces on either side of the level, that are linked somehow underground. Then we will have a wooded area with walkways in the trees, then various bits of scenery and some nicely crafted landscape (may be a bit ambitious, but taking it one step at a time). If anyone wants to colaberate with Prof in making the models, that'd be great, but ideas and texturers are probably more needed. I have attached by crappy sketch of the layout, but if anyone wants to come up with better ideas (which shouldn't be very hard) along the theme of paintball arena, then PLEASE, do so .

I promise to get a Christmas demo out, it won't have anything that has been recently put in, it'll just showcase the new bullet and tracer system, along with the console and some other tweeks. Hopefully the demo after that will be with the new level (or part of the new level ), simple Newton physics, and improved scripting (will still be basic though).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2004 22:48
yes it's UV mapped..just use the textures in there a guide line (they have lines were the polys are...they should loko pretty self explanatory)

but i'm not sure if you can pick and choose between the 512*512 and 1024*1024

you should probably check which one it loads before going through the trouble to texture it (and find out it uses the other one!)

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2004 01:41
Quote: "you should probably check which one it loads before going through the trouble to texture it (and find out it uses the other one!)"

Yeah, well, whoever is going to volunteer to do a texture. There seems to be a severe lack of texture artists on this forum.

CPU - I can use the old system for now, but I will integrate it after I've sorted out a problem with Twilight editor. I will then post a demo of the game so far . Seems pointless not including something that is practically already done.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2004 05:30
i think i'm a bit late to be of much help unless you want some characters animating (i can use character shop quite well but the only model i have is the one that came with it, since the game's freeware i think we can use it though)

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon 64 3000+, 512mb ddr400, abit kv8, 120gb hdd, gigabit lan, ati radeom 9800se 128mb.
6r1m r34p0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Uh, the Maverick is listed incorrectly in CS which I know.
A Maverick (I think) is a modified Colt Commando or a CAR 15 on steroids,and the 12x flash handler is used by the navy SEALs.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2004 11:04
here is somethign i can add, finally, put this on bill board on one of the levels

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 01:41
mm0zct - You can be of help definitly if you want to do character animating . We have no animators. If you want to come up with a good bone structure that can be standard throughout the models that'd be good (so we can use same animations in all models). I'm not sure how animating is going to work, as the models need to move around, and aim. I have read something somewhere about bones being manipulated by limbs within DBPro, so that may be the answer.

Once you have the bone structure decided, post here and you could start doing animations. I think the general animations would be...

- Walk forwards
- Walk backwards
- Strafe right
- Strafe left (can just be mirrored version of strafe right)
- Jump (probably not essential)

Shooting animation isn't really needed, and would make things over-complicated. Cheers for any help you can give .

RobX - Yeah! That's what I'm talking about . Maybe we should have a pirate ship level, that'd be rather cool .

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 20:52 Edited at: 20th Dec 2004 20:52
Ok, a new demo is uploaded. Happy Christmas . Find it here...

http://www.dbforums.co.uk/~hamish/contents/downloads/DBPComFPS_Demo2.rar

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 21:32 Edited at: 20th Dec 2004 21:57
HOLY CRAP MC SPLATDULE! this demo has gotten huge amoutns better since first played it! it ran at about 130 fps average! amd xp 2200 , 9600 xt card, 256 ram an dit flew, howd u get it to go so fast! im tryin to build an fps engine for the syndicate tests, btu the code i got moves hel of slow to walk, not caus eof frame rate btu because its just too slow and im unsure how to speed it up if i can at all (the code is borrowed from code base). But i'd love to be abel to use your code for it, cause that felt like quake 3 fast! very well done, cept one complaint, i didnt see my billboard plastered onto a wall!

to get what im seeing here, think about what would happen if mr t, and et, had kids. I think it'd go a little something like this:

it took me a few minutes to fix my gun n arms to the right size/angle/everythign else to get it to fit the same as your p90, but it works! and look soo good.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 23:02
Well, sure, look at the code, just don't take it all . I dunno why it's so much faster, maybe just one little thing I changed, I dunno.

You want pirate banner? Download this and extract it to the same directory.

Attachments

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 23:07 Edited at: 20th Dec 2004 23:08
Picature...

Attachments

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2004 23:13
thats a nice shot between the eyes, good to know im loved hehe yeah im so stupid i was asking if i could get the code from you without rememberign the folder that said teh codez, that i looked inside which contained, teh codez. anywya when i finally got it to open more than just a blank page i couldnt make neither heads nor tails of it. and i wouldnt take all of it, i just want the movement code so i can move so damn fast. the collision i will get from somethign else, although yours did have damn nice collision when i played it. anyway im off to shoot myself in the face a lot, and only damage my pride!

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm downloading! Does it contain an .exe also or must it be copiled because I can't compile DBP cuz my trial finished. Either way I think the source code could help me with my FPS, but I'll credit all you guys for any ideas I get.

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 04:08
Contains EXE.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok good. But it was taking waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to download so I might try again later. Should it be like this?

Have a heart and join my message board.And now my messageboards work again!Woot!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 04:16
Takes me about 3 minutes on 512kb/s.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I downloaded it now. But I couldn't get it to work I got an error about not being able to load collision.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 05:11
Gah! It should work, I thought the collision problem was only when you wanted to compile the source. So long as you extracted everything in the same folder, it should work.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I did.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 06:00
i said the i would be animating with charactershop, it is a collection of premade bones and animations that can be applied to a human(oid) mesh (there is a link to product description on the main page of this site) it has lots of animations but the character model needs to be in a
shape

AMD athlon 64 3000+, 512mb ddr400, abit kv8, 120gb hdd, gigabit lan, ati radeom 9800se 128mb.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 06:06
Anime Blood - What is the exact error it gives you?

mm0zct - Ok, well you can start putting together some basic animations if you want. It'd still be nice to have the bone structure at hand for future reference. Cheers .

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 06:23 Edited at: 21st Dec 2004 06:27
here, i think this is what you want:
http://www.lochviewwest.plus.com/bonestruct.jpg
http://www.lochviewwest.plus.com/cs.jpg
edit: if the character is in anothe pose but the legs are correct i can still animate the legs but not the upper body, anyone got a player model or shall i post the demo model animated?

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 06:33 Edited at: 21st Dec 2004 06:38
here is a useful tool i wrote a while ago to aid modeling for dbp, it's a model viewer written in dbp that uses the open with option from windows, ie drag the model over it or set the aplication as an option in windows to open the file with.

onscreen instructions, simply drag a model onto it
edit:this will quickly test dbp compatability and will let you view the file easily

this code will provide the correct speed of animation depending on the framerate so the player doesn't appear to slide when the framerate drops, or slip when it is high
25 and 55 are the start and end frames of the walk animation, experiment with this code to fit it to the game when there are some other players with animations to worry about

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2004 09:15
the download worked well for me so mayhaps his didnt extract properly.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2004 06:11
does anyone know where i can get the twilight ide, the address in issue 14 does not work and it would make developing the game easier since the source is currently created in the twilight ide.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 08:00
It used to be at eclipsedevelopment.co.uk, but Glenn recently told me he was shutting it down, so I don't know where you can get it at the moment. I'll try and find out for you, I told Glenn I'd be able to host it, so I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

On another note, has anyone tried typing "set game speed : 10" into the console (or any other value than 10, apart from 0, don't type 0)?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:41:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:41:28