Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Open Source Community FPS Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2004 18:31
dbforums seems to be down so i can't download the much wanted demo
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2004 21:56 Edited at: 24th Dec 2004 22:20
i just remembered a config tool i wrote for my current project that someone might wantto implement
it is a program that lets you set a mousebutton or key to each action like in game control editing, i'll post the source when i find it i think it might be really useful

keycode edit: (requires control.conf, keycodenames.conf amd mousebuttons.conf which i am uploading to my webspace
http://www.lochviewwest.plus.com/conffiles.zip
)

this is how i load them:

i'll post the code to generate the files soon so you can set your own control description

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon 64 3000+, 512mb ddr400, abit kv8, 120gb hdd, gigabit lan, ati radeom 9800se 128mb.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 01:29
Chicken Chaser - It's up now

mm0zct - I'll take a look at it, but I'm not sure it'll be needed, as you can configure the controls via the config script at the moment. Thanks for the gesture anyway.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Static
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 17:52
It still doesn't work for me
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 06:14 Edited at: 28th Dec 2004 03:27
edit:
ok i tried to texture the model quickly:

here is it untextured:

AMD athlon 64 3000+, 512mb ddr400, abit kv8, 120gb hdd, gigabit lan, ati radeom 9800se 128mb.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2004 05:59
Hey, that model looks pretty nice mm0zct . Just make sure all the bits can be animated, and I'm sure it can be put in the game .

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2004 22:56
any chance of making this model a player model?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/uberwiggett/pirateminkeytheking.jpg

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2004 23:05
Lol! Sure thing, so long as someone bones it to the general skeleton structure, which I think mm0zct decided.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2004 05:58 Edited at: 29th Dec 2004 07:45
@Uberwiggett robx : just email me the model and i'll rig and animate it, that's at least two characters if i can get that animated
ps. i should be able to convert most file formats but does anyone know of a .x importer for milkshape?

edit: i've started on the sniper rifle and i've started adding hands to the kalshnikov but it will probably break the texture, i'll do my best to animate them both too (and fix the textures)

Attachments

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2004 14:09 Edited at: 29th Dec 2004 14:11
no need for teh x importer its saves in ms3d will send the file asap.

edit: file sent to the account on your little email button.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2004 17:40 Edited at: 29th Dec 2004 17:49
mm0zct - It'd probably be best if we use the same hands for all the models. Take the hands from the uzi that vanB posted, they're already rigged as well. Looks like a good start on the sniper rifle, Prof has already made the mesh for one, but to be honest, we don't seem to be strictly following the decided weapons, so why not have more than one sniper . I think the poly limit is up to 3000 for guns , so don't spare on the detail (though try and keep detail evenly spread on the gun ).

Oh yeah, and here's a screen of the new hummer Proffesor has made. Rather swan ky if I don't say so myself ... It may just have to be a prop until vehicles are decided about.

Attachments

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2004 18:01
good, but should prolly drop teh cut bits on the bonnet and just add them in the texture, save on some polynesians.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2004 20:40 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2005 23:48
agh i hate hotmail, your file filed their stupid virus test "for an unknown cause" so i'll post another email address here for a few days and i'll delete it once you've sent the file again

edit: as for poly limits without hands the kalshnikov is 860 tri's so no problems there

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2004 21:15 Edited at: 29th Dec 2004 21:17
I can see my house from here!!

...I think I found a bug.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you christmasy answers."

Attachments

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2004 23:29
i sent it through outlook, didnt realize i was sending to hotmail but ok i will resend thru new address.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2004 05:39
Lol Exeat. Yeah collision isn't perfect. Nice view though .

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2004 06:37
Exeat: that bug was pointed out on previous posts, it could be fixed by collision checking above the head when jumping but i'm not doing any coding for this project

Uberwiggett robx :i have the monkey all animated but i would like the textures to check they were retained (i will fix it if they are not)not to hotmail, use my other address please, and the mouse looks amusing when animated but it looks a bit naf so i don't recomend it for in game (plus a flat character has a but of an advantage lol)

dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2004 07:56
If you still need a GUI editor I would be happy to do it! But thats as long as you still need one.

It has been said that the body is a slave to the mind. Only the mind knows no freedom.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2004 09:23
lol yeah i wasnt sure if the mousey would do well. i will send the texturezorz now.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2004 09:38
Quote: "Exeat: that bug was pointed out on previous posts, it could be fixed by collision checking above the head when jumping but i'm not doing any coding for this project"

300 previous posts too many for me to read through.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you christmasy answers."
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2004 12:08
Ok sorry guys but i had to leave my house for some work for a few days. Im finaly back though . Im currently lerning how to model charactors so hopefully we can have some charctors in soon.

Happy New Year!
Bye
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2004 19:15
Quote: "If you still need a GUI editor I would be happy to do it! But thats as long as you still need one."

Yep, as far as I know, we still need someone to make the HUD, if that's what you mean. The past 3 people don't seem to have said anything other than "I'll do the HUD graphics", and then pissed off.

Post an example of of what you might do, and we'll decide then what needs to be done. Cheers.

dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 01:10
Ok great! I already started working on all of it before I even posted, just to see if anybody else was going to do anything. But yeah, i'll sketch out what i'm aiming for.

It has been said that the body is a slave to the mind. Only the mind knows no freedom.
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 01:13
here is a list of all the animations, please delete the ones not needed to reduce the filesize

i think the non rifle/pistol ones will not be needed as the player will always be carying a weapon but if there is ragdol the death animations are not required either

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 07:31 Edited at: 31st Dec 2004 07:31
Heh, interesting. I got a max of 143 fps.

I was going to write HI on there, but I ran out of ammo.

UNVIDIA GeFartFX 5600 Crud Edition
Featuring an unbeatable 0-1 FPS in 3DMark05!
If Return to Proxycon were a game, I would die before I saw the door open!

Attachments

dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 08:08
@mm0zct: Are you talking (writing) that to me. I'm not doijng model animations, just the 2d stuff.

And I have an Idea: when the power or health level gets low, you could make it so that the avatar image gets dimmer or starts to fade out.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 21:07
Quote: "I was going to write HI on there, but I ran out of ammo. "

Open the console and then type "fill weapon" . I have listed all the console commands in a text file.

These animations will probably do. Crouch isn't needed. Are there any double pistol animations, because we will probably need it if we put in double weapons.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 00:01
got another player model,

needs to be boned, err, that came out wrong

will have a model of baroness from gi joe too soon.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2005 23:38
you know my email robx, just send it witrh the textures, sorry i've not been getting back with models and stuff they are animated and textured but there's a small problem with the normals (they got a little messed up in the animation app) but whenever i fix them in the mview that comes with the dxsdk the saved .x file cannot be loaded by dbp , the normals aren't awful but the app eems to think there are more vertices than there are :/ so there some of the normals are wrong. i'll keep working on fixing them, might be the model isn't fully triangulated when i load it in the animator.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 02:12 Edited at: 4th Jan 2005 22:36
RobX - Interesting . But I should think we can find a place for her in the game .

Wondered why the lack of updates? Well, one reason was I was looking into scripting, but that is postponed for a while, but the other reason is I've been working on an editor (yes another one ), but this time it encorperates Newton physics. At the moment, you can load an object, set its mass, and various other things, then assign a material to it, which you can also set the settings for on the materials panel. You can then place it, and watch it fall and bounce and stuff . It needs better editor features, for making levels, but now that I've done the functions for using Newton, it can be placed in the game pretty much imediately, once I get this Twilight problem sorted.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2005 10:57
wel when u got a working version throw it my way an di will work on some levels for ya. and i will mail the model and its texturrs right away

Sol462
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 08:46
mine wont even run. im guessing my gfx card dosent support 32 bit. ah well, i was plannin on buyin a new one anyway.

coffee + monkeys + creativity = games
6r1m r34p0r
Years of Service
User Offline
can you give me that level creator too? thnx
aks74u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 10:50
wow that lvl creataer looks sweet

Over And Out.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 14:58
Quote: "needs to be boned"

Oh, that was a bad one

Hamish-> Editor looks fantastic, way further than I got with my psuedo-Newton-test-thingy. Great job.

Quote: "my gfx card dosent support 32 bit."

Extremely unlikely! It certainly wouldn't be able to run DBpro if it didn't. Not that I'm the expert with Hamish's brainchild. But there could be a number of other problems.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 22:44 Edited at: 4th Jan 2005 22:46
I will release the level editor to everyone when I think it's in a usable state, and when I have come up with a definite file format. It'd be kind of a hassle to have to support too many different file formats (not to mention increase compilation time).

Quote: "Quote: "my gfx card dosent support 32 bit."

Extremely unlikely! It certainly wouldn't be able to run DBpro if it didn't. Not that I'm the expert with Hamish's brainchild. But there could be a number of other problems."

Well, if haxorphreak has dbpro and can run things made with it, then I don't know what the problem is, unless it gives an error, in which case it'd be nice to know what it is . I'm not using and special technologies (no shaders). Graphics card, drivers and directX9.0c is all I can think of (as usual).

I have started to put the levels into the game, the physics is working, but Newton raycasting is acting really strangely, and I haven't the foggiest why. It detects intersection at really weird places. I'm guessing it's one of those stupid bugs that are so obvious when you suddenly spot them, and turn out to be a typo. Well, I'll check again tonight and maybe I'll get character collision working with Newton as well. I'll post some video capture once it's all working .

EDIT

Oh yeah, fixed the link to the second screen, I was showing the first screen twice before .

dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 05:38
I am almost done with all of the HUD images and am putting them in a suitable way to look in a game. Let me know if you want each graphic in a seperate file(which i'm sure you do).

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 06:31
Yes please . Any chance of a preview?

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 07:28
Hey, I like that editor.

You are not alone.
dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2005 07:45 Edited at: 6th Jan 2005 23:01
Yeah give me about one more day and I should have it done.

Spline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 05:44
Hamish McHaggis i know you are a very busy man, but it would be Great if you could write some tutorial on Blue Gui, you seam to have it all work out, anyways great job keep it up
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 06:11
DJ - Nice . I really like that. A couple of things to comment on though...

- Outlines aren't very smooth on some of them, you may be aiming to clear that up, I don't know.

- Console and message box don't seem very big, or did you scale them down for the preview?

- I'm thinking that little claw bit looks a bit out of place on the radar, maybe it could contain another screen that lights up to show you which side you are being attacked from? Just so it has a use .

- Some of the images have really definite black outlines, whereas some don't. This looks odd, the outlines should be consistant throughout. I think less black outlines (a la the team scores graphic) look better, but if it's easier to add outlines, do that .

Video of Newton Physics in Action
Just a little capture of it in a test level I made very quickly. Yes the movement is weird, and the player flys up if he hits a tiny bump. I'm not sure how to fix it, but I will.

http://www.prodigygames.co.uk/content/videos/physicsVideo.avi

ESC_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 07:12
Not too sure about the legitimacy of those hud images, as I know I've seen the bottom left one from a website template on the web and the others look somewhat familiar as well...

---
dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 09:23 Edited at: 6th Jan 2005 09:24
Yeah I know. Thos are just some things that I am basing the images off of. I have my own images that are going in place of those. I will work on it some more and see if I can find my original. I think it somehow got deleted. That is why I have those there instead. That, I hope is the basic layout, even if the GFX probably wont be in there.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
The physics video is nice i watched it although i dont think that the gun would make them fly that much so maybe tone down the power a bit i dunno?

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 15:55 Edited at: 6th Jan 2005 16:13
@dj blackdragon3710
It would probably be better if you made your own design. This one just looks like you have copied and pasted some stuff off the internet.

Hint:
http://www.guistuff.com/guispecs.shtml?0005
http://www.guistuff.com/guispecs.shtml?0009
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 16:56
Admiral - Yeah, at the moment it appears to apply the same acceleration to all objects, no matter what the mass is. I have just quickly got Newton working in the game, but it definitly needs a lot of tweeking. I just put the power up full so that the movements wouldn't be so tiny.

DJ - Please use your own images, I'm not really that impressed that you tried to pass them off as your own (or at least you didn't meantion that someone else made them). And try and make them significantly different from any reference pictures you may have (ie. if someone looked at both of them, they wouldn't think that they'd been copied).

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 17:02 Edited at: 6th Jan 2005 17:02
Not sure if I uploaded this before, but I figured out a hud layout, that isn't what we need, we need the actual GRAPHICS.

Attachments

dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 23:02 Edited at: 7th Jan 2005 03:18
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I thought that you just wanted a layout. My own GFX will be put up as soon as possible.

Give me about a week to get them ready (I hope).

Frozen Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2005 12:24 Edited at: 8th Jan 2005 12:26
mm?

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 13:14:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 13:14:35