Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Open Source Community FPS Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 18:32
Ah right, getting my guns confused. I unwrapped the rifle.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 21:14
?Whats that mean?

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 22:40
@Professor - Here's a few ideas:

Cars, carts, carages, motorcycles, jeeps, broken tanks, tractors, trailers, Semi's (at least static versions you could blow around and stuff)

Perhaps Rocks?

Trash/Trashcans

Pictures/Portrates (The mona lisa would make an exelent texture me thinks!)

Phone Booth

Speakers/Speaker System

Perhaps Those'll give you some ideas.

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 22:53
Ok thanks CPU, Ill get on it

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 00:00 Edited at: 18th Nov 2005 00:01
attached are the passwords for news and images respectively (works for all image galleries)
i am trusting the responsibility of the users here and at the first sign of spam the system will change to a system using ip addreses, to submit stuff your ip address would have to be preallowed by me.

anyway.. start filling up the galleries
i'll get some ftp stuff sorted but probably with other hosts because i can't set groups or anything with the current hosts.

edit: the first letter of the second password is a j btw, sorry about that.

http://ccgi.lochviewwest.plus.com/design1
AMD athlon 64 3000+, 1GB ddr400, abit kv8, 400GB total hdd, ati radeon 9800se 128mb, 2x17" tft(@1280x1024).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 04:57 Edited at: 18th Nov 2005 04:58
Dear god, it lives!!!

Nice one Chris.

For the rest, please read the website updating guidelines posted up on the site under "Guidelines".

Thanks

The cat era has begun.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 17:02
PWnt. Excellent stuff.

Here is the menu file CPU, although I think it may have been included in the last code update anyway.

Attachments

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 18:09
Here are some more coordinated thoughts about the demo:

This is the order of things I will be doing, based on that list:

Visual things that may not need doing depending on the time:

Somewhere along the line I will integrate the menu code, that hopefully CPU will be doing? It would be a great help! Here are some specs I have thought up for the menu system.

Other stuff that we will have to do, not directly related to coding though is:

Grismald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2005 15:02 Edited at: 19th Nov 2005 15:14
Hi, it's been a while, just wanted to offer some help.
Basically i could do some UVmapping/texturing/modelling depending on what's most needed for the demo.I probably won't have time to do much but it may still be useful.
I see professor has made quite an impressive amount of new models, so i probably could unwrap or texture a few of them?

edit:btw i released a free vehicle model pack not long ago, not sure it might be of any use for this project, but i thought i'd mention it in case some of you missed it.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2005 15:55
oi hamish, email heading your way...

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 01:19 Edited at: 20th Nov 2005 02:02
oo i had a water splash effect in an old project, i'll have to ask the other guy though cause it was more his project than mine. i'll get back to you on that.

edit: attached, it's largely my work but the anything that isn't mine is x-trade's.

AMD athlon 64 3000+, 1GB ddr400, abit kv8, 400GB total hdd, ati radeon 9800se 128mb, 2x17" tft(@1280x1024).

Attachments

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 04:12
@Grismald, I belive the model most needed is the my SWAT charactor or the m4.

The Only Weapons we have now are:

Weapons
Glock17
Sniper
Springfield Sniper

(Note: We need at least one assault rifle, The M4.)

Characters
Minkey Pirate

(Note: Maybe you could texture the swat chacter for me? Im not sure if hes animation or not.)

These are the most need that i can think of, since you can only do a few models.

Grismald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 10:19
Ok, i think i'll have a go at the Swat character. Thing is, is it okay to texture it if he's not animated yet? (the animator guy might need to make some tweaks to the mesh in order to animate it properly)
Just a thought, i not too clued up on rigging & animation.
So send either the swat or the m4 depending on the answer.

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 16:38
here we go guys! i finished the M9 Texture. If you don't like it, i can redo it.

Skalex Production |Website Coming Soon| ChaosZone

Attachments

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 17:17
grismald: it'd be best if you textured the character before i animated it, if i need to tweak the mesh i'll deal with the uv map tweaking while i'm at it.

Grismald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 17:25
@mm0zct: Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 16:32
@Grismald, Ok ill send it to you asap.

@Skalex,

There seems to be a few problems, on the handel, you textured screws onto the handel, the problem is that i modeled screws and it makes it look like theres 4 screws on one side, 2 3d and 2 2d.. = Not a great effect.

It seems like it would look better if the m9 could use different textures, like the barrel could look different than the stock. Try making it look more interesting.

Other than those minor details its a good texture! Keep working on it!

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 18:24
@Grismald, Ok here you go. Let me know if it doesnt work, im sending it in .3ds and .x .

Attachments

Grismald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 20:13
Thanks, well the feet look kinda weird, perhaps they've been messed up during export? oh and the hands look very flat too.Don't get me wrong,i just wanted to mention these cause they bring down the quality of an otherwise excellent model.

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 23:39
Quote: "There seems to be a few problems, on the handel, you textured screws onto the handel, the problem is that i modeled screws and it makes it look like theres 4 screws on one side, 2 3d and 2 2d.. = Not a great effect"

oh, really? i don't tested it, and i forgot that there was screws.
where are the screws in the UV Map? (as this i will texture the screws, not the handle)

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 16:19 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2005 16:19
Hamish, it seems, has abanded us... no respose from my email, and no postings.

A couple of quick questions about teh music module. What kind of levels of intensity are there? Is it a wide range, i.e. 0-10, or does it have more leeway in terms of swapping songs..

I was thinking something along the lines of this:
Each level has a designated set - one "theme" song at high intensity, maybe a couple of breaks for transitions, and a handful of shared ambient loops. That way, each level has a distinctive feel.

Here follows a list of songs I'm working on, and some ideas as to what kind of level they would work with

I currently have:
sea of sand, desert blood > both would work great with teh Kasbah level, as they're both egyptian flavored dnb.
caynon (finished, I guess) > this needs a real epic level with lots of open spaces, something huge and preferably indoors like ctf_HallOfGiants in UT
sector six > indoor, techy level perhaps?
untitled #1 (breakbeat/metal pwnage) > close quarters level
untitled #2 (industrial?) > industrial setting, with radioactive goop pits
and many more sketches of ideas...

todo:
o sea of sand - add another flute riff, work with the drums a bit, and cut down on the time spent in the intro. Seperate into several pieces for the intensity thingee.
o desert blood - better intro, make a better transition to part II
caynon - nothing!
o sector six - come up with a second riff part, add some loopabality
o untitleds - work on length issues (they're way too short)
o work on ambient loops (I was thinking of spooky wind fx, regular wind fx, rain, snow, etc. as well as a couple of minimalistic short songs)
o make more menu sounds (I have a couple of mouseover/click fx, but I should make some more...)
o write a couple of songs for large outdoor scenes... it's an entirely different mood from what I've been writing

What would really help me out right now would be if people could detail, or at least sketch out, the level ideas they have so I can have a sense of what style music I should write for it.

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 23:40
Sorry for no replies, I'll get everyone's messages answered soon, but I'm feeling very tired right now so I'm just posting to assure everyone that I haven't emmigrated to the moon. I've been working pretty much non-stop for the last week (that's what happens when you leave all your school work to the last minute) so unfortunately I've haven't had any time to check up or work on the project.

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 16:01
do u guys need an hk ump ?

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 16:39
btw heres da pics of it.......still needs 2 be textured...

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 20:25
sweet gun

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 00:01
Ok people, finally got some webspace to host my stuff Here's a 25meg collection of some of the stuff I've been working on:

http://www.provosmusic.com/music/blackout_musicdemos_11-24-05.rar

See teh readme file for details

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 14:43
Grismald - Thanks, we could use those vehicles as scenery if nothing else. Any models you could uv-map or texture would be great!

Hawkeye - Very cool stuff. It just gets better and better all the time. I think if you are up to it, a music theme for each level would be great. We probably only need three levels of music for each theme. I guess to be safe, one sci-fi set and one warzone set would be a good bet.

Alpha Zero - That gun is great. Could somehow get it to me, or just upload it in general. Also, didn't you rig the hand model? What format is that in, and can get you that to us as well somehow? By the way, is that gun uv-mapped? It would be good if it was, but if you can't UV map it adaquitly for whatever reason then don't worry.

Everyone - Hopefully I should be uploading the game today in its current state, code and all. Should be able to have some online testing with actual killing (though the actual player deaths are questionable, you'll see ).

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 17:58
@hamish - I think I might have mentioned this, but I've been working on the menu system, just so you know someone is working on it

Oh and by the way, what have you done to my music module hamish? Or do you need me to rework that as well?

@Hawkeye - Well since I made and designed the music module, allow me to explain how 'I' designed it, though I don't know what hamish has done to intergrate/use the module yet...

Ok - For the music module all the music resides in the music folder or subfolders within the music folder, ok, now for each level will be a 'playlist' that has all the songs/loops/tracks that we might want to play during this level, the playlist also organizes the songs into 'action levels' which is a rough gauge of how much action is going on near the player, so if your prowling around and theres not much shooting going on nearby you the music will settle on the set of slower more ambient like music tracks, if the action level suddenly jumps (ex. the player suddenly gets ambushed by three other players...) the music will settle on a higher set of more 'stimulating' tracks. Hmm... a few other little things, you can set the internal volume of each track in the playlist file (0-100) and you can also set the master volume, (for easily toneing down the overall volume of the music). All the music volume is controled internaly with floats to give a verry accurate and smooth volume control. If you switch to a new song in the middle of another one the first track fades out while the second track fades in. Hmm... Not much more comes to mind, good job on all the music!

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 19:45 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 14:09
Cool CPU. I have put your module in, it works, but it isn't really integrated with the game at the moment, since there isn't really any game.

BlackOut Deaths Demo + Code - Download here (6.88MB .rar archive)
Readme included!

Download Latest Code Update (26/11/05)

Alpha Zero - Thanks for the email. Have you got any info about that hand model?

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 21:20
I tried out the demo and it crashes sometime during the loading process. I haven't downloaded the newton plugin to retry compiling and see what happens. Tonight I have to work 6 hours of sitting in a chair and doing nothing so I'll check this out more. Good use of the scripts I see as well!

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 21:37 Edited at: 25th Nov 2005 21:40
Lol, the scripts are kind of in a test stage still. They don't really play a part in anything. I'm sure they'll come in handy when everything is developed a bit further.

Does it just perform an illegal operation (or the winXP equivilent) just after it says "Loading level models". If so, try commenting out the commands in the Data\config.txt file to see if one of them is causing the problem. I'd leave the createplayer command till last as it is kind of essential to the program running (I don't know why I keep it in there).

You may need the attached plugins to compile (note that this is the free version of EZrotate, it doesn't have many commands compared to the purchasable version)...

Attachments

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 21:42
The error is a silent one without a message box. It does put a crash log in the root folder, but I don't think it'll help that much.

Quote: "[COMMON]
PathToEXE=E:\Blackout Deaths Test\CrashOn_11_25_05.txt
[CEXE]
m_dwRuntimeErrorDWORD=Internal Code:12002
m_dwRuntimeErrorLineDWORD=6289"

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 21:54
At what point in the loading messages does it crash? Have you tried commenting out the commands?

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 22:22
Quote: "I am on the darkbasic irc channel"

Ill set it out, But whats the Darkbasic channel suppose to be?

Ok here are a few problems that i found.

1# When you zoom in gun should disapear.

2# Backspace doesnt seem to work in the cammand console.

3# Make some sort of effect while you under water. Maybe you could make a blue fog and make

it so you can swim around in the water.

4# Bullets dont go through the open parts in the wooden gate in the water.

5# Fix transparency Problems

6# Add a lightmap

7# Add a drifferent paricle effect when you shoot wood (tree bark has a water type effect, So does the floor and every thing else besides the box.)

Oh and i saw your little contrapion made out of boxes. Pretty neat gives me a few ideas.

Fix those minor problems and it should be good.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 22:39
after a little 1v1 shootout with Hamish i have recorded a video which i am in the process of uploading, 2 versions, high resolution 800x600 compressed from 40mb to 20mb using 7zip compression, and a 10mb divx version at 640x480. both have audio (although i wasn't listening to any of hawkeye's music, the only sound was gunshots, not sure if it's supposed to start the music automatically but it didn't have any for me) and are very detailed so view them fullscreen for best effect

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 22:52
No music in teh demo I believe.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 22:59 Edited at: 25th Nov 2005 23:16
I excluded all media I could to make the exe size smaller. The actual demo will of course include Hawkeye's music.

1# Not sure about this. If the gun has a zoom image then I think it would be the right thing to do.

2# DBpro bug, has been reported in the bug reports section by me, and several other people several times. Highly inconvenient, and I may have to botch a crappy workaround, as I doubt it will be fixed until U6.0

3# Will add some sort of effect, and I can try and get swimming should not involve that many changes. Just have to adjust gravity and make it so that the player moves in the direction that they are facing (ie. add a y component to the velocity).

4# Hmm, could be hard. I'm not sure if DBpro even allows a way to collision detect alpha maps. If DBpro had a decent collision system this would probably be feasable.

5# Will do.

6# There is a lightmap. Didn't you notice? I can add shadow mapping to the rigid bodies though.

7# Yeah, this would require either the level being made of separate objects, or the object somehow being split into limbs when it is loaded into DBPro. Something to consider for the future though.

Here is my current to-do list:

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 23:16
Ok but whats the db channel?

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 23:22
http://www.lochviewwest.plus.com/dbforum/blackout.7z
http://www.lochviewwest.plus.com/dbforum/blackout2.wmv

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2005 23:27
get mirc and connect with these settings:

irc.devhat.net
port 6667

(Make sure to setup your nick first)

You'll automaticly join #lobby

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks pretty cool I like the little monkey dude hes funny although I dont think people explode when you kill them lol.

The admiral
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 01:16
hows the gun i sent ? and i am about to re-rigg the arms

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 01:19
Quote: "Looks pretty cool I like the little monkey dude hes funny although I dont think people explode when you kill them lol."

These monkeys are quite obviously stuffed with dynamite.

Quote: "hows the gun i sent ? and i am about to re-rigg the arms"

It's fine, thanks! It isn't uv-mapped I can see, so once we get something to sort out the media with I'll get it uploaded with the rest of the models. Cheers. Nice to hear about the arms.

Alkaline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 09:36
when ever i try to complie the code i get an error at line ~4100 about an object does not exist. line ~4100 i have found out is the function (WPN_CreateFPWeapons()). can you take a look at this for us please.\

thanks

768 DDR pc3200||ATI 9600xt 256mb||330 GB hard drive||Amd XP 3000+
InDex v2.0[url]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=58885&b=8 [/url]
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 14:02 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 18:03
Sorry, just remark out the line in setupWeapons():

WPN_LoadWeapon("Data/Weapons/glock17.txt")

I was testing the glock but found it appeared backwards and didn't have time to fix it. I changed this line for the compilation, but forgot to add the updated weapons.dba file to the archive.

Here is another update of the code files. I've added underwater swimming, plus an underwater effect that is pretty crap. Also I have kind of fixed the physics timestep, so now everything moves at a proper speed at lower frame rates, although it's still not perfect.

Download Media (26/11/05)

Download Code Update (26/11/05)

Download EXE Update (26/11/05)

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 16:49 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 16:52
@Hamish, Exe! Exe! Exe! Exe! No source code! compiled up to date brand spankin new fat slappin Exe!

In english:
Exe Please.

Thank you

Edit: @Hawkeye, I suppose that was towards me? Do we have a channel set up or anything? or do we use the lobby that you connect to automaticly?

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 17:42
did anyone start on my hk ump yet ?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 18:08 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 18:15
OK Prof. Here is the update log also. The mouse is now fixed in the middle of the screen, use the console command "setfixmouse flag" to turn it on and off.

Update Log

Download Media (26/11/05)

Download Code Update (26/11/05)

Download EXE Update (26/11/05)

Alpha - I will upload your model so someone can UV map and/or texture it. However, you can't expect it to be done straight away. More than half of the models donated are not UV mapped or textured, and they were given ages ago. The only way you can guarentee it will be used in the game straight away is to UV map and texture it yourself (just UV mapping it will significantly speed up the process).

HK UMP is attached

Attachments

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 18:09
Professor, can you help me? A while ago i asked you this:
Quote: "[quote]Quote: "There seems to be a few problems, on the handel, you textured screws onto the handel, the problem is that i modeled screws and it makes it look like theres 4 screws on one side, 2 3d and 2 2d.. = Not a great effect""

oh, really? i don't tested it, and i forgot that there was screws.
where are the screws in the UV Map? (as this i will texture the screws, not the handle)[/quote]

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2005 18:13 Edited at: 26th Nov 2005 18:34
The screws are the bits just top right of the trigger guard. Maybe you should download something like lithunwrap or wings3D, that lets you see the UV map and preview the model?

EDIT

Alpha - Check the front page. I have put the UMP there.

Prof - I have also put your M4 there, although there are quite a few UV maps. Also, did you realise that is the second M4 you have made?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 03:08:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 03:08:18