Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Open Source Community FPS Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 21:51
Great. The texture is looking good on the M9.

Skalex Productions| Website Finished (click on banner) | ChaosZone
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 22:03 Edited at: 5th Dec 2005 22:16
Quote: "K17 (Killer17)"

Wasn't that the name of the russian nuclear submarine (K-17) that malfunctioned and killed loads of russian technicians because of radiation poisoning?

EDIT: The nuclear sub may of actually been the K-19, but I'm not sure

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 00:23
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/k19/

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 03:51 Edited at: 6th Dec 2005 03:52
G17?

@Hamish, well im going to reconsidor, look at some pictures from the m9 and try and imatate it.

http://www.romad.com/npequipment/m9/M9.jpg

http://www.softair.it/images/prove/pistole/KSC%20US%209mm%20M9.jpg

https://peosoldier.army.mil/photos/M9.jpg

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 09:13
Quote: "@Hamish, well im going to reconsidor, look at some pictures from the m9 and try and imatate it."

Sorry?

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 16:20
, Didnt mean it to sound that way, What i meant was that the m9 doesnt have a steel type look, Try looking at this picture:

https://peosoldier.army.mil/photos/M9.jpg

Try to imitate the gun from pictures, i belive that the overall quality will raise.

Sorry about post above, i try posting before (I had to leave at the time) and it faild so i type somthing up real fast with out realy reading it.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 16:38 Edited at: 7th Dec 2005 16:43
Lol, you probably wanted to direct your post at Skalex, as it is his texture. I was slightly confused because I wasn't sure whether you meant you wanted to alter the model, or the texture wanted altering.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 18:26
Lol ok skalex!

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 23:29
@Hamish ok im going to post all of the things i belive would help make this years christmas demo better. (If you dont mind )

#1. Basic Main menu (Where you can set your name and i.p ect, And join games.)

#2. As far as the water goes, maybe you could add true reflections?

#3. Try and add my swat guy? Hows the coming along anyway?

(Bugs to fix.)

#1. Be able to use the backspace key in the command window. (Or is this a dbpro bug?)

#2. Hide gun when zoomed in.

(Generall Ideas.)

Include The 2 sniper rifles, Make there be a difference in each gun. Like:

My sniperrifle: Shoot faster,Takes -35 from health Only zooms in 6x

The otherrifle: Shoots slower, More powerfull takes -50 from health and zooms in 10x Basic changes like that.

Thats all i think of now. Hope the come through usefull

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 00:19 Edited at: 8th Dec 2005 00:32
Quote: "https://peosoldier.army.mil/photos/M9.jpg

Try to imitate the gun from pictures, i belive that the overall quality will raise."

I just got a great idea for the texture

EDIT: Try this texture to see if it's better

Skalex Productions| Website Finished (click on banner) | ChaosZone

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 19:45
Ok i will look at it as soon as i can, i will have to load it in 3dsmax as i cant view .dds files anyother way... Looking forward to seeing it!

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 19:48
#1. Basic Main menu (Where you can set your name and i.p ect, And join games.)

CPU is working on this at the moment I think. If it isn't done in time I can probably botch a temp menu system.

#2. As far as the water goes, maybe you could add true reflections?

I haven't experimented with the reflections in DBPro for a while, but last time I looked at them they were buggy as hell. I could try and look at it, but it's probably not at the top of my list at the moment.

#3. Try and add my swat guy? Hows the coming along anyway?

Well, we need a texture for the swat guy really. Otherwise it would be fairly simple to get him in (with an email to mm0zct).

(Bugs to fix.)

#1. Be able to use the backspace key in the command window. (Or is this a dbpro bug?)

DBPro bug. Very annoying. I could possible botch it, but whatever I produce would also be quite tempermental to use. Actually, a Dll to return the contents of the keyboard buffer could be feasable. I will look into it.

#2. Hide gun when zoomed in.

Ok, I'll set this one as a high priority, low priority thing to fix.

(Generall Ideas.)

Include The 2 sniper rifles, Make there be a difference in each gun. Like:

My sniperrifle: Shoot faster,Takes -35 from health Only zooms in 6x

The otherrifle: Shoots slower, More powerfull takes -50 from health and zooms in 10x Basic changes like that.

Ok. Note that most of the guns don't have animations yet, and unless we get hand we can't really make animations. I have tried several times to get something working, but I'm not too good at organic 3D models. I managed to get the glock with a temporary animation without hands, but that was painful to say the least.

At the moment, I am just piecing together the level and game control for simple deathmatches, so the server can initiate new games and tell when the current one has been won. This code will possibly be replaced by new, more flexible code when we decide to add more gameplay modes, but it will finish off the possibility for a full online demo. Once I have finished and tested the game code, I will focus on tidying up the little bits that everyone wants fixing for the demo.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 23:37
hey you might want to put these in the video section of the first post
http://www.lochviewwest.plus.com/dbforum/blackout.7z
http://www.lochviewwest.plus.com/dbforum/blackout2.wmv
it's our little 1v1 shootout, my post seemed to be missed entirely when i posted at the time.

also i'll get that splash code into a format that can be simply inserted, but i'd need you do actually put it in the project.

http://ccgi.lochviewwest.plus.com/design1
AMD athlon 64 3000+, 1GB ddr400, abit kv8, 400GB total hdd, ati radeon 9800se 128mb, 2x17" tft(@1280x1024).
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2005 23:45
Have done mm0zct. If you could get the splash code in an insertable form that'd be a big help.

Just a note to everyone, I'm having rather a busy time atm, but I have now finished the code that brings about actual games. It's kind of clunky, but I will upload the new stuff asap (probably not tomorrow as I am off for another University interview). The good news is that this will allow us to start polishing stuff up for Christmas. The demo won't be too fancy given the time, but it will hopefully demonstrate that we are actually getting somewhere with this project!

And also, CPU, what is teh news on the menu front? It would be handy to have something for the demo, otherwise I will have to slap up a menu with what I've got of the menu code.

Progress Log (12/12/05)

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2005 20:39
Hamish, I've e-mailed your hotmail address.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2005 20:54
Menu.... Menu... Its getting worked on, I've like just finished finalizing the file format I'm going to be useing (I didn't relish the thought of hardcoding the entire menu...) the menu editor is just about finished and the actual menu code that will go in the code is about halfway done, the main thing thats going to be a pain is loading all the images that will make up the interface, I'm still deciding if I'm going to hardcode that as well or have another loading system to do that... I can't promise I'll have the menu system done before the release, but I can promise that if I do get it done it should be a piece of cake to just drop into the code and be ready to use (you might have to do a bit of interfacing with the console comands for some things, but that would be all)

By the way hamish, what all are you looking for the user to be able to do, do you want it to be able to submit consol commands (ie, have a few edit boxes so you can set the server, num players, name etc... and then just hit play and it will automaticly call the console commands to do so?)

Like i said, I can't promise I'll have it done, but it should be easy to implement once done. Sorry, but life has ways of throwing curves at you, and school takes up a big chunk of my time...

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2005 04:53 Edited at: 14th Dec 2005 19:29
Ok im working on a level now. Ive put about 3 days worth of work into it. I would like it to be a level where other peaple put stuff in instead of just me, That way it doesnt get dry/old.

Heres the level concept i drew before i went to work.

Heres the hight map i made:

More Screenshots

(Note: The textures are not mine, There from the old game Mafia.)
I relize that this is very very early but i want some comments on this level. the poly count is: 8,362

(Note: This is mostly the trees, the poly count is high because theres so many trees, 168 per tree and 37 trees and thus 5,439 from the trees.) Also i ruduced the poly count on the trees since these screens, i dont have time to upload more so this is it for today.

C&c Welcome

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good although cant those hills be smoothed out they look very blocky?

The admiral
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2005 15:14
yeah, maybe just a tiny bit of smoothing on the drop downs... just enough to make it look like dirt instead of concrete...

but it looks good!

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2005 20:15 Edited at: 14th Dec 2005 20:15
better yet make them higher and make then a sort of cliff so the player can't just jump over the top
bit like a cross between halo's sidewinder and bloodgulch

AMD athlon 64 3000+, 1GB ddr400, abit kv8, 400GB total hdd, ati radeon 9800se 128mb, 2x17" tft(@1280x1024).
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2005 21:38
Quote: "Looks good although cant those hills be smoothed out they look very blocky?"

Alright i smothe them out asap

Quote: "yeah, maybe just a tiny bit of smoothing on the drop downs... just enough to make it look like dirt instead of concrete... "

Ok im going to try and make them look more like clifs not sloped concrete walls

Quote: "better yet make them higher and make then a sort of cliff so the player can't just jump over the top"

Good idea, im going to try and model it to look like a cliff more.

Thanks for the comments! ill be working on it a soons as i can, but dont expect results today, i have alot of other stuff todo .

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 00:01 Edited at: 15th Dec 2005 00:05
Ok another update.

1. Changed the texture on the rocks

2. Smoothed out the clifs

3. Added a rock formation for snipers.

(Note: See attached for screen shots.)

I know i said that i wouldnt be able to work but i found some time for it. Now i realy AM leaving.

C&c Welcome.

Attachments

Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 12:45 Edited at: 15th Dec 2005 12:57
Nice
but if this map will be a mp cft then you have to fix 1 misstake :
the tunnel is too close at the "forest way".
you can also use this textures:

http://www.onlineartsgames.de/textures.rar

[/center]
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 02:14
right, the splash thing is nearly done si i'm going to post a reccomended technique for using it:
-create a plain (horizontal)
-scale it up large
-position it at the height (or average height) of the water)
-hide the plain
-use this plain for collision detection of the water as it is only 2 triangles, not the thousands of the wave mesh for the water so it will be much faster.
when the gun makes this collision all you will need to do is acll the spawn_splash function and run the handle_splash function every loop (all will make sense by monday at the latest hopefully)

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 06:13
@Jack,

Quote: "but if this map will be a mp cft then you have to fix 1 misstake :
the tunnel is too close at the "forest way".
you can also use this textures:"

Well if the tunn is any closer than it would be pointless to have the "forest way", Peaple would never use it and would just stick to the tunnel the hole time.

I wanted the tunnel in because i didnt want a sniper to just be able to aim at one area and keep a hole team at bay, i wanted more than one root through.

Thanks for the comments though! and the textures they went right to the tunnel and i may use them for the buildings to!

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 14:02
I'm posting this from college, as my home internet connection and two monitors decided to break a couple of days ago. So basically, I can't do anything on a decent computer until we get a replacement modem and monitor. This means my progress on the code has been halted basically since my last post.

Benjamin - Thanks a lot. I hopefully should be able to integrate it asap. Though in the future email my gmail address, as I never ever use my hotmail any more.

CPU - Sweet, it sounds like you've done a lot more work that I expected, not that I don't mind! I think it would be good to have the main screen options:

Host Server
Join Server
Options
Quit

Host Server would have boxes for own IP and name. Join Server would have own IP, host IP and name. Both would have a button to host/join the server.

I haven't quite thought of the options, but if you have a menu file format, then couldn't I just edit it to include some options?

Professor - That level is great. We definitely need some wide open sniping arenas. I can't open the latest screens rar file as I am at school, but I agree about making the cliffs more cliff-like. Careful about texture stretching on the near vertical faces. It'd also be good to have some high walkways going up the sides of the cliffs like in the Halo maps. Keep up the good work!

Jack - Thanks for the textures. They will come in handy.

mm0zct - A bit confused, but I'm sure it will become clear when you post the code.

Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 16:39 Edited at: 16th Dec 2005 16:50
@ Prof
No you can build a tunnel complex under the map not a direct way
like in the MP maps of C&C Renegade.
And what about vehicles?

[/center]
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 17:35
Quote: "Though in the future email my gmail address, as I never ever use my hotmail any more."

I will once it starts accepting my attachments.

Quote: "Host Server would have boxes for own IP and name. Join Server would have own IP, host IP and name"

By the way, the person joining is no longer required to enter their own IP.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 70%
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 21:17
@Hamish, Ok will do, im working on it asap

@Jack,

Thats a good idea! heres what i got so far:

The idea is to make the tunnel underground. That should give the game a mixture of cqb and sniping. Also those trees you see on the hill take up about 2k polys, there just planes with tree textures on them followed by alpha mapping, Do you think its worth puttin in?Also where should i put the new tunnel?

I know theres still a hole where the old tunnel used to be, ill fix that later.

C&c Welcome.

The dude guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 18:39
Just wondering, but where is the latest download?

Anyways, looks like a real good game

Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 19:53 Edited at: 17th Dec 2005 20:02
Yes its worth but I think you can delete some trees from the middle (you cant see them)

maybe you can use this in you map

http://www.onlineartsgames.de/plant.rar

[/center]
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 21:36 Edited at: 17th Dec 2005 22:02
@The dude guy, Always check the front page for updates .

http://www.changi.f9.co.uk/BlackoutOnline.rar

EDIT:
@Jack:

Oh yeah thank, thanks for the textures! i should be able to put them to use!!

The dude guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 21:39
Not Found

This file was not found on this server

----------------------
That was my error message when I clicked that link. Thanks anyways ._.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 22:01
Hmm... :S this seems to be something for hamish.. ill look for another link.

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 01:56 Edited at: 18th Dec 2005 02:12
right i have the splash thing done and tested
function load_splash(side_filename$, side_img_num, base_filename$, base_img_num, xz_scale#, y_scale#)

load image side_filename$, side_img_num
load image base_filename$, base_img_num
i=start_splash_obj_num
load object "FXgeo.dbo", i
texture object i, 0, base_img_num
texture limb i, 1, side_img_num
texture limb i, 2, side_img_num
scale object texture i, 0.25, 0.25
scroll object texture i,-0.25,-0.25

scale object i, xz_scale#, y_scale#, xz_scale#
xrotate object i,-90
hide object i

for i=start_splash_obj_num+1 to end_splash_obj_num
clone object i,start_splash_obj_num
scale object texture i, 0.25, 0.25
scroll object texture i,-0.25,-0.25
splash_in_use(i-start_splash_obj_num)=false
hide object i
next i
next_splash=0
endfunction

function spawn_splash(x#,y#,z#)
splash_obj_num=next_splash+start_splash_obj_num
position object splash_obj_num,x#,y#,z#
show object splash_obj_num
splash_in_use(next_splash)=1

inc next_splash
if next_splash >= end_splash_obj_num-start_splash_obj_num then next_splash=0

endfunction

function handle_splashes()

for splash_obj_num=start_splash_obj_num to end_splash_splash_obj_num
ref_num=splash_obj_num-start_splash_obj_num
if splash_in_use(ref_num)=1
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 0 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0.25
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 1 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 2 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 3 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 4 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0.25
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 5 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 6 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 7 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 8 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0.25
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 9 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 10 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 11 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 12 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0.25
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 13 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 14 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 15 then scroll object texture splash_obj_num, 0.25, 0

splash_frame(ref_num) = splash_frame(ref_num) + 1
if splash_frame(ref_num) = 16 then splash_frame(ref_num) = 0 : hide object splash_obj_num : splash_in_use(ref_num)=0
endif

next splash_obj_num
endfunction

that's the functions

if (timer()-splash_timerold)>splash_frametime
splash_timepassed=timer()-splash_timerold
for i=1 to (timepassed/splash_frametime)
handle_splashes()
next i
splash_timerold=timer()-(splash_timepassed mod splash_frametime)
endif
that's what i recommend doing every loop so it goes at the same rate for everyone.

global start_splash_obj_num=10
global end_splash_obj_num=100
dim splash_frame(end_splash_obj_num-start_splash_obj_num)
dim splash_in_use(end_splash_obj_num-start_splash_obj_num) as boolean
global next_splash=1
and that's the globals you need to define

edit: wierd, the code tags seem to have stopped working for me, it just gets rid of the tags in the post and dumps their contents out like normal text

edit: and of course you'll need the media that i almost forgot to attach.

Attachments

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 04:40
Ok in my spare time i was messing around with 3ds max and came up with this icon. Does anyone think it would be usefull?

C&c Welcome.

The dude guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 05:08
Pretty good

Still looking for that link?

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 11:36
@Professor, that would make a 1337 splash screen...

16-colour PNGs pwn.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 14:33
Professor - looks bloody awesome, but (there's always a but isn't there :p)

make the blackout text darker
and diffuse the red part of the backdrop a lot more; make it darker and blur it around a bit

Would make a wicked splash tho

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 19:51
Any chance Hamish might integrate his Multiscape editor so we can make landscapes for Blackout?

The cat era has begun.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 02:45
Ran through a bunch of game music ideas this weekend... in fact, I managed to burn myself out again

And of course there's the entire... you know... christmas thing

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 17:47
@The dude guy, No , Sorry i couldnt find any, i was going to upload it my self but my connection is to slow. Sorry about that.

@blanky, ?!?

@Hawkeye, Ok im rendering to different renders, one with a bright color and one with a darker color. Also im not quite sure what you mean by diffuse? Or what you want me to do.

Tell me what you guys think.

C&c Welcome.

P.S And im still working on that other level btw.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 18:04
Ooo, I like the second one

And by diffuse, I mean smear the red stuff with the black stuff (you'll probally have to use photoshop or something of the like) Failing that, just send me the full sized render and I'll mess around with it a bit

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 18:33
@Hawkeye, Ok here it is

Attachments

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 21:03
At last, everything with my computer is pretty much sorted. We have a temporary monitor and a replacement modem.

Prof - Looking really good, both the map and the logo. I think we could use that on the loading screen.

That Dude Guy - Look near the top of the page here for the latest downloads.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=8&t=41284&p=39

mm0zct - Thanks for the code. I will edit and stick it in asap. At the moment I am trying to get Benjamin's new plugin working in-game.

Megaton - Twould be easy to put a Multiscape file loader in, so a definite yes.

Jack - Cheers again. Some really good textures you have there.

Note that I am very busy this week, so I'm not sure how much more I will get done. It seems that the general consensus is that we should release whatever we have as a demo at Christmas. It will be in a playable state whatever, and the only thing that will be different from the other "demo" releases is that this one will be accompanied by a new post, so no problems. Hopefully...

The dude guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 23:17
Thanks Hamish, does it come with the media or do I download it on my own?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 23:32
Download it. The exe and media are separate.

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 16:48
hey megaton did u use sprites for the hud or did u use plains ?

new programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 05:01
nice gun models!!! are you goung to sell them? cus i'll be the first to buy them...
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 17:52 Edited at: 21st Dec 2005 17:55
I think we might want to finnish the website before the new demo? places such as :

Downloads Nother there exept:
"Latest downloads go here."

Music No music selection!
Soundtrack goes here.

Also my email address is old, It tmth710@gmail.com its hot mail not gmail . Also should we update that team list a little? it says:

Hamish Lead Engine Coder
CPU Asst. Engine Coder, Editor Coder
Megaton Web designer/Level designer
Professor 3D Modeller
Zero Blitzt Minor coding
Dark Coder 3D Artist
Joao Mustra 3D Artist/Texturer
Stevie Music
Mouse Weapon Concepts
Game Freak Weapon Concept Art
Hawkeye Music
dj blackdragon 3d modelling