Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Open Source Community FPS Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2005 00:13
Hamish - There's still a serious jumping problem with newton, it seems to be worse in this last demo, but if I can manage to get on top of the highest wall in the middle of cabadash, well, then theres a problem... I'm not exactly sure where or what the problem might be, but the code is running from 60 - 75 or so most of the time, and always within that range when I'm jumping, perhaps it's a problem with newton?

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2005 22:02 Edited at: 27th Nov 2005 22:14
It is a problem related to Newton, I've known that ever since I put the jumping in. In the latest upload I have changed the jumping to use an added impulse (increase in velocity) instead of an added force. This doesn't seem to make any difference, although at all framerates I've tested it doesn't jump that high! Unless you mean you can get onto the wall by jumping from that surface on top of the dome-house bit? Fixing jumping is on my to-do list (here is my to-do list:
). I will do more experimenting as it is definitely something to fix for the next demo.

EDIT

Fixed! It turns out it was my fault (as always), I thought I had checked to see if the player was jumping multiple times, but apparently I tested wrong. The game uses a raycast to check if the player is standing on the floor. This raycast is slightly longer than the bottom of the player for obvious reasons. This meant that the player registered as being on the ground after the first jump, and so multiple jumps were registered. Fixed it my only allowing one jump per 500ms.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 04:14
*Pulls gun and shoots himself in head*

Man! i cant belive it! I hade a post that took upto 30 minutes because of bug reports/ideas.

Heres the things i remember

1. Gun shouldnt shoot under water.

2. Bullets should completely go through the leafs on trees, Currently the bullets only go through the bottom part if the leaf.

3. Player shawdow

4. Abilty to go prone and crouch

5. P90 zooms in to much, Feels like a sniper rifle.

6. (Just idea) I wonder if the kick of the gun would be better if it kept going instead of stopping at a certain point? just an idea.

7. Grenades

8. Add some type of effect when shot. (Maybe have the screen have a red flash effect?)

9. Add a splash effect when bullet hits water.

10. Add big splash effect when you jump in water, Or even have a splash sound effect when a box or somthing falls in, Must include a sound.

11. Maybe a mini-map?

12. Add sound effects for the following:

Walking/Running
Jumping/Landing
Bullet-Impacts
Water Ambient
Splash Of water (When player/object falls in.)
Voice acting (Taunts/Commands/Responses.)
Basic ambient sounds.(City/Jungle Ect...)
Basic radio sounds

(Note: If somone here can do the voice acting, i should be able to put a effect to make it sound like there talking over a radio.)

(Note:Im not sure if where going to have radios in our game, But it would be kind of neat to make a station to play when ever you place the radio for a type of background noise.)

Well im sure you love listening to the little 3d artist, But these are just ideas.

Ok im out.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 17:15
1. Gun shouldnt shoot under water.

Really? Does anyone else agree? I'm not sure if that would work.

2. Bullets should completely go through the leafs on trees, Currently the bullets only go through the bottom part if the leaf.

Yeah, again a problem with the fact that the whole of the level is one object. I can build this functionality in though!

3. Player shawdow

Hmm, may be able to sort something out fairly quickly, though a low poly model may be preferable for shadows.

4. Abilty to go prone and crouch

Yeah, added to my list now. This will probably require more animations. I'll email mm0zct (unless you he sees this post of course!)

5. P90 zooms in to much, Feels like a sniper rifle.

Easily fixable, I think that too, the zoom level is just left over from testing stuff. When we get more weapons in we can fiddle with the settings.

6. (Just idea) I wonder if the kick of the gun would be better if it kept going instead of stopping at a certain point? just an idea.

Hmm, I considered this but thought it would be quite annoying to empty a clip at someone only to find yourself stairing at the ceiling. I am planning on making the randomness of the bullets increase though as you fire more.

7. Grenades

Heh, I actually tried putting grenades in a while ago. It won't work using Newton physics so we'll have to make our own grenade routine (not hard seeing as I have already got a bullet ricochet routine, all you have to do is add gravity and it's solved). It will also definitely require an animation. BTW, should be make grenades a separate weapon all together (a la Counter Strike), or make them a sort of secondary fire (a la Halo and Timesplitters: FP)?

8. Add some type of effect when shot. (Maybe have the screen have a red flash effect?)

Already on my to-do list. Waaay ahead of you there!

9. Add a splash effect when bullet hits water.

My brother also commented on this, and I had been thinking it too. Also mm0zct posted a water effect earlier I beleive. I'll get it on my to-do list.

10. Add big splash effect when you jump in water, Or even have a splash sound effect when a box or somthing falls in, Must include a sound.

Could probably use the same code as the above. Sounds are definitely lacking. I complied a few I found on the internet, but I don't have a professional recording studio so I can't really get my hands on any decent sound effects.

11. Maybe a mini-map?

I'll add that to the long term to-dos. Probably not essential right now.

12. Add sound effects for the following:

Yep yep. I can put the functionality in, but it's up to other people to supply the actual sound effects. Sounds are on the to-do list.

I like suggestions, keep 'em coming! If anyone other than Professor has a brain with which they can form their opinions and thoughts into phrases, then I'm not stopping you.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 18:04
Ok, Then i await your next demo.

2 more days until ill be upload my entire model set, (Well the set that i still have. currently: 27 models) I wish to make 3 more and make the 30.

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 23:13
Quote: "

Hmm, I considered this but thought it would be quite annoying to empty a clip at someone only to find yourself stairing at the ceiling. I am planning on making the randomness of the bullets increase though as you fire more.
"

What if hamish you had the gun stop at a certain point but instead of what it does now why don't set it up so that as the gun gets pointing higher up the force down gets greater, thus giving it the feeling that it shoots up sorta fast right away but then slowly continues up untill it reaches an equilibrium, or you could even have the gun go up right away and then have it come back down again, simulating the players control over the gun to bring it back to normal orientation when fireing...

Just a few ideas....

CPU

IS
[center]
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 23:32
Another idea, When the gun kicks, Me thinks it would be cool if the go jumps left and right a little to if you know what i mean.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 23:32 Edited at: 29th Nov 2005 18:27
Quote: "or you could even have the gun go up right away and then have it come back down again, simulating the players control over the gun to bring it back to normal orientation when fireing..."

Is that not what it does at the moment? What do you mean?

New exe and code. I have added in some stuff to test physics syncronisation, along with various other fixes.

EXE Update, 28/11/05 (2.04MB rar archive)

Code Update, 28/11/05 (112kB rar archive)

Todo List

Latest Log

EDIT

Yeah Prof, good idea. BTW, are you available to test right now? I'll keep the server up. Here is my IP address if you want to put it in the config file (hostip): 80.229.23.131

You will need your local IP and your name as well (though I'm not sure I need to tell you that!).

EDIT

Sorry, closed the url tags. NOw the links work./

EDIT

Nevermind, no time now. Maybe some other time.

DrewG
Years of Service
User Offline
<a target="_blank" href="google.com">Google</a>

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 01:29
Quote: "The screws are the bits just top right of the trigger guard."

hmm, that wasen't really precise but anyway, i tried to find the screws.

Skalex Productions| Website Finished | ChaosZone

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 05:07
Ah man im sorry i missed you hamsih, i probably wont be able to tomorow. Heres when i can play 7:00am - 3:00pm . Im going to be gone tomorow until 8 or 9 pm here, Btw this is in:

America
Midland VA

Is the EST time? im not sure.

Sorry again i missed you.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 05:13
Ok after testing out the game heres the following bugs:

1. Glitch with bullets

It seems like when i shoot at far distances the particles dont emmit correctly, If you shoot
about 50 feet in front of you, and come closer the particles dont emmit until you start shooting about 15 feet away, from then you can shoot as far away as you want and it will work. Not sure whats wrong there.

2. Error Joining LAN Game

I am having problems joining to computers on a LAN, Heres the config:

I get the following

(wight) joinserver 192.168.0.246
(red) Failed To Join Server
(Red) Local IP: 192.168.0.248
(Red) Host IP: 192.168.0.246

3. (Just idea)

I belive that the stats (The player list could go farther on the right of the screen, its sort of in the middle and gets in the way of things

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 16:11 Edited at: 29th Nov 2005 16:38
@Hamish - You need to change the second link (for the code update) to: http://www.changi.f9.co.uk/CodeUpdate28-11-05.rar

Don't ask me how I figured that one out...

CPU

[Edit] Arggggg... Do we now have to be in an online game now to roam around and shoot the gun?

IS
[center]
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 18:26 Edited at: 29th Nov 2005 20:02
Drew - Yes, that is the html code for a hyperlink to Google.

Prof - I have spotted the bullets don't hit from very extreme distances. This is because my raycast isn't long enough, but I have no problems at 15+ feet. You mean the bullet hit dust isn't appearing at all at 15+ feet?

EDIT

Found the problem. I hadn't updated the p90 weapon file in the uploaded version. Open the Data\weapons\p90s.txt and replace the contents with this to fix it.

Quote: "(wight) joinserver 192.168.0.246
(red) Failed To Join Server
(Red) Local IP: 192.168.0.248
(Red) Host IP: 192.168.0.246"

If you just specify one parameter to joinserver it will take it as the player name. You need to set the ip and host ip in the config file, and just type "joinserver" or "joinserver Professor". You could also type "joinserver 192.168.0.1,192.168.0.1,Professor" but I got really tired of having to do that, so I stuck it in the config file.

Quote: "I belive that the stats (The player list could go farther on the right of the screen, its sort of in the middle and gets in the way of things"

Agreed, I will make them take up less space.

CPU - Cheers, will change. And yes, I changed it so you need to be in a server because certain things didn't work if out of a server (deaths and whatnot). To save having to have two games open I created a command called "suicide". I can change it back if you want, but everyone should be able to set up a LAN server. Just use the loopback ip address if you can't find your local one (127.0.0.1).

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 16:19
Grrr... Well networking games and all the internet stuff never realy got into me much, but anyways, I still can't "host" a game on my computer, I tried 'hostserver 127.0.0.1, 10, "Game"' and then it paused for a second and then said it failed... same when I tried to use 'joinserver' with similar paramaters...

Help hamish?

CPU

IS
[center]
Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 18:31
@Hamish,

Im free to test for another 30 minutes. Let me know if you can ill be refreshing this page every 5minutes

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 18:39
Yeah sure. I'll be logged on all the time. Just join my server.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 18:47
"Failed To Join Server
Local IP: 80.229.23.131
Host IP: 80.229.23.131"

Heres my confix.txt

Whats wrong?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 18:51
defaultip 80.229.23.131

This needs to be your local ip. Get the ip you need by going start menu--> run--> cmd --> ipconfig.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 18:54
Lol i had just typed that in when i read your post.

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 19:07 Edited at: 30th Nov 2005 21:30
Is the server still up?

Alright, Ive decided that my connection is VERY slow

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 23:23
So, is my texture work is good? I waited since 2 days now...

Skalex Productions| Website Finished | ChaosZone

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 00:59 Edited at: 1st Dec 2005 01:02
ok i just thought i'd mention a small bug in the news posting part of the blackout site, the script will fail if the text contains any ' or ` marks, so put in a ^ if you need one and i'll edit the database myself when i notices there's a news post.

edit: btw.. GET SOME SCREENSHOTS UPLOADED, jpg, gif, png etc, no bitmaps please!

http://ccgi.lochviewwest.plus.com/design1
AMD athlon 64 3000+, 1GB ddr400, abit kv8, 400GB total hdd, ati radeon 9800se 128mb, 2x17" tft(@1280x1024).
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 16:40
I think i missed this somewhere but... where is this website?

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 18:18
*cough* http://www.blackoutgame.co.uk from first post *cough*

or my sig

http://ccgi.lochviewwest.plus.com/design1
AMD athlon 64 3000+, 1GB ddr400, abit kv8, 400GB total hdd, ati radeon 9800se 128mb, 2x17" tft(@1280x1024).
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 18:28 Edited at: 1st Dec 2005 18:28
thanks...i tend to forget that the first post is actually edited

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 14:42
Will do mm0zct. I keep meaning to try again, but I forget.

Skalex - Sorry for late reply. The texture is a lot better now the bolts are in the right place. A bit more variation in the texture might not go a miss. The m9 seems to have various markings and engravings on it. http://www.romad.com/npequipment/m9/M9.jpg. I don't know whether Professor has any comments to make, seeing as it is his mesh.

Seeing as we set a Christmas deadline, it would be nice to meet it. There are actually very few things to do to get the game playable, although there are more things to do in order to make the demo adaquitely polished, and user friendly. My question is, what do people think about the deadline? I the game is playable, but not very shiny and clean cut by Christmas, should be release an official demo in the state it is in, or wait for an early 2006 release (considering I have more exams in January)?

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 16:35
I would just post the demo in a new thread. Then ask for comments and such and you should get a reply about what needs added and what doesnt.

About the models, I know im 2 days late but im working on converting them now. I never reached me 30 mark, oh well i got to like 28 or 29.

Ill upload them ASAP

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 17:11
@Mmmmmzooozts(What ever your name is ) I upload a model image in the 3d models page, but i belive i have the thumbnail resolution wrong, Its set to 100x75 and the large is 640x480. I couldnt find anything about thumbnail sizes in the web but at least we know it works

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 23:17
Quote: "Grrr... Well networking games and all the internet stuff never realy got into me much, but anyways, I still can't "host" a game on my computer, I tried 'hostserver 127.0.0.1, 10, "Game"' and then it paused for a second and then said it failed... same when I tried to use 'joinserver' with similar paramaters...

Help hamish?
"

Er... Hamish?

CPU

IS
[center]
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 23:21
Sooory. I am trying to fix it, but I seem to have broken something else in the process. I will get back to you when it is fixed. I will remove the need to create a server to join a game.

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 00:11
Quote: "Skalex - Sorry for late reply. The texture is a lot better now the bolts are in the right place. A bit more variation in the texture might not go a miss. The m9 seems to have various markings and engravings on it. http://www.romad.com/npequipment/m9/M9.jpg. I don't know whether Professor has any comments to make, seeing as it is his mesh."

i added the air lines on the top of the gun. i also added the serial number of the gun. it's a random number but it seems realistic.

Skalex Productions| Website Finished (click on banner) | ChaosZone
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 01:28
is there an exe version of the demo ?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 14:17
Cool skalex. Could you upload it?

Alpha - Yes, there is. Try looking in the main download, or exe update.

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 14:34
Quote: "Cool skalex. Could you upload it?"

sure.

Attachments

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 14:51
I say we should wait for xmas to post something new...

The cat era has begun.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 18:53
CPU - At last, I have fixed it. Suiciding doesn't work still if you aren't in a server, but who cares. Download here:

EXE Update (3/12/05)

Code Update (3/12/05)

I have also added some lovely new text, and a lovely new text system so that you can define the width of each character in the set. I also neatened up the player list so that it look slightly swisher, and is over to one side. Take a look.

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 23:05
cool

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 23:12
i just made this....

IM me if u want it

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 01:55
What is it, some sort of futeristic toilet or something...?

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 01:59
...........a grenade

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 05:20
@AZP, Sure i belive we should be able to use it, Hawkeye is just kidding w/ you .

Ok i tried to upload these models yesterday but it wouldnt so here we go again.

Attachments

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 21:23
there u go a grenade

Attachments

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 21:42
Thanks Alpha, good futuristic grenade. Should be useful.

Also thanks Prof, that Grenade Launcher is fantastic! I don't remember seeing it before, is it new? Looks very futuristic, did you base it off of anything in real life?

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 21:52
Hamish, how's the M9 now with the new texture?

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 22:18 Edited at: 4th Dec 2005 22:23
Edit: Double post

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 22:19
@Hamish, Well i didnt realy post about it :s , I saw some Screen shot a while back and just made it from memory. And as far as i know its not real. Just make up a name with like m in it (M17 Grenade Launcher) for example. Your choice.

:s Forgot to post it up here, sorry.

Well glad you liked it

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 22:43 Edited at: 4th Dec 2005 22:44
or m404 !! (get it? 404 error?? HAHAH...wow, sometimes i think i'm just too funny)

[edit] just not m17 because that probably already exists if they've used up m16 and m203...etc

(m17 probably stands for a tent peg)

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 00:02 Edited at: 5th Dec 2005 00:16
Let's give it an interesting name, rather than a number, or it could always just be a "Grenade Launcher".

EDIT

Skalex, this answer your question?

Professor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 18:48
@Peter, cant use m404 because peaple would mistake it for M4A1, Man why do all guns have to have m in them?

Now the you mention it i think that the m17 is a real grenade launcher...

@Hamish, Boring name!
The m9 looks good though.

K17 (Killer17)......?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 02:01:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 02:01:48