Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / Mike Inel's Entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 01:44
Of course mike.
YEAH!!! WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. AND WE ARE ALMOSTDOING IT ALL FROM SCRATCH.
I have a team working in a game. But i think we have to much to learn. We have avaible more or less 1415 hours in a year. But the development should take if we were novices for ever like 4615 hours.

The question is because we can turn ourselves experts like you so we can reduce our develpment times. The question is to do the estimation how many months from now are left.

Thank you very much.
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 01:48
Wow, scheduled, huh? Good for you that you have a team to work on a game... That'll lessen the time needed to experiment and learn compared to doing it alone.
Good luck with your game!

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 01:59 Edited at: 28th May 2007 02:09
Thanks!.
I will Post soon in the WIP, with the name Ultimate APocalipsis, when i have something worthy to show of. Hope to see you there. Maybe we will contacting you from Altiz or your mail in Yahoo later, I'm sending you A mail right now to tell you something.

In any case your game is inspiring in my game career.
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 15:33

Good thing I didn't sell this game...

Heheheh...

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 23:17
Mike, I did't understand that....

In any case, are you going to make a comercial version of
this game?
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 00:10 Edited at: 5th Aug 2007 07:08
Um... Kind of a sequel...
I'm still starting, but if I have something to show, i'll let you know...

EDIT: I'll take back my words... T_T

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2007 01:05 Edited at: 19th Jun 2007 01:06
Mike I have yet another question about this game. When you hit monsters with attacks, the amount of damage is displayed above them. Did you use the OBJECT SCREEN X/Y commands to do this or did you use another method? I ask this because I'm using OBJECT SCREEN X/Y along with a bloom shader and the commands are returning very off values so I was wondering if you had used another method.

Thanks,
Sixty Squares

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2007 01:46
Yes. Maybe the "set current camera" is different when you're using the "object screen x/y"...? I'm not sure, I sort of forgot... I think posted all source codes of this game in one of my previous posts...

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 05:18 Edited at: 5th Aug 2007 05:20
I love this game! Platformers are my favorite, thank you for making it a platformer. Too bad my graphics card can only handle the game with all the effects turned off, but nevertheless it is a masterpiece.

I am programming a platformer engine myself, and strangely I somehow managed to program the camera to act exactly the same as in IOTT, it stays a certain distance from the player and rotates around them trying to be in back as they move. Also making the player walk to the top of the screen when pressing forward instead of plain forward is great for easy control. I really suggest you add an option to use the joystick to move and jump for version 1.0, platformers are usually easier with joysticks.

The game looks great even on my cheap graphics card, it must look amazing with all the shadows and things turned on.

Geisha House and Illusion of the Tower are the two most inspiring games for me. Hopefully by Christmas my game engine will be feature rich enough to start my own platformer, I will look to IOTT for direction because it's great to learn from the experts.

This sig has been viewed times.
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 07:04
Thanks for the suggestions, but i'm not going back to this project again... (Unless there's another competition that have assured prizes. lol)
Quote: "it's great to learn from the experts"

Sad to say, but i'm not an expert... Look on Geisha House or Final Exodus, they're WAY better than my game... (mine have a lot of bugs)
I just did everything through presentation, but other than that, i'm just your typical noob programmer... ^_^

(Wait... I'm suppose to make this thread dead! lol)

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 17:43 Edited at: 5th Aug 2007 17:43
Quote: "i'm not going back to this project again"

Sorry to hear that. It was almost done.

Me and my brother both feel that with a little work it could've passed as a commercial game. I like it better than Final Exodus, but that's only because you have to *gasp* read the manual to play.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 20:30
Hi,
I agree with code Dragon.
You have to continue this project and make it a commercial game.

I don'ty think the thread will die so easily.
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2007 00:53 Edited at: 6th Aug 2007 07:43
DIE THREAD DIE!!!
lol

Actually, i've attempted to make a remake/sequel of this game... But I canceled it... Link
If you'll browse more on my blog, i've attempted 3 games already, but I end up not making one at all...

And now, I think i feel pathetic browsing on DA... LOL

I'll just sit back and wait for another competition... Since it's my only motivation...
But right now, i have to make models for DaZ...

Thanks for having hopes in this project anyway... -_-

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2007 01:49
Would getting the sequal published and making lots of moolah be enough motivation? Well, for me I'm motivated by a lot of things, one is the coolness factor of actually finishing a game.

See you in the next compo.

Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol you make me sound heartless......do you think if I do the whole score for the game first he will make the game inspired by the music Heh I would aswell cause the game was amazing! and I know what the story to full version way hahaha but seriously anything mike does is gold! Check his blog and you will know what I mean.

DaZ

[href]www.myspace.com/dazdicks[/href]
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2007 07:37
You are absolutely correct Junkrock.

@mike: Amazing . Lol!.
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2007 08:01 Edited at: 6th Aug 2007 08:03
Quote: "Would getting the sequal published and making lots of moolah be enough motivation? Well, for me I'm motivated by a lot of things, one is the coolness factor of actually finishing a game."

Nop... Just to be frank and realistic, i think i can get more money from my current job than making a game made by 2-3 people that should be commonly made by 20+ people... >_<' I don't think my game will sell since it's just inspired by KH2 and DMC3...
Besides that, i'll need more funds to create a published game...
Well, there IS another way to get my game to be played in xbox360, but that'll also mean i'll dump DBPro, and hell i'm not doing that... (I still got loyalty for it, even if this program was born cra-- Never mind...)

Quote: "See you in the next compo"

I wish there will be... And if there will, I hope their prizes are better... (Until now I still don't have the 3 boxes, dammit!)

Quote: "Lol you make me sound heartless......"

Edited... I guess I did make it sound heartless... Sori dud!

Quote: "Amazing. Lol!"

Thanks! Glad you like them!

Again, DIE, THREAD DIE!!! lol

Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol I was joking dude, lol i know ur not heartless your cool man! Lol BTW for some reason I started working on IOTT score again...dont know why!

DIE THREAD!

DaZ

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2007 19:35
Quote: "Besides that, i'll need more funds to create a published game..."

You can contact a publisher like Cash did. I'm almost sure that
they will put every dolar in a game with such good quality as yours.

Quote: "I don't think my game will sell since it's just inspired by KH2 and DMC3 "

I really think that it will. If you release it I will.

I played your game and i think is wonderful. The only thing is the controls that should be more fluid to make the game more playable and bigger levels.

PD: I have started to publish in the WIP the game we talked about (Ultimate apocalipsis: chaos architects)
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 01:47
How many people wants my game to be continued anyway...?

Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
I do!

DaZ

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 03:26
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 19:39
Hmm.. Then i may continue my optimized version of this game?

I got ULTIMATE fps boost when i modifed your game Also you should always use functions..

I got couble bugs with optimized version tough but they can be fixed.. Biggest slowdown was caused by hide object Convert them to Exclude object on and show objects to exclude object off.

But i really want that you continue this game

[center]
DarkBIBLE Wikipedia for TGC Users!
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 00:21
That will be REALLY helpful! Thanks!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 00:57 Edited at: 9th Aug 2007 00:58
I DO. And I want to see some quality level art that isn't cubes!

It's not that there is anything wrong with cubes. It's just that most anything would be better in an action/platform game.

Edit: If you DO intend to use cube to finish it though, I wont mind as much as if you just didn't finish. Not nearly as much.

I downloaded the version you had in the archive thread, and got two errors imediately. let's see, they were

d3x9_31.dll was not found, and faild to load DLL (2: DBProCameraDebug.dll)

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 01:15
The first is probably a directx version that you don't have... The second, I have no idea, but try updating your directx first... >.<'
Yes, it won't be cubes... lol! Just imagine "Dante went to Silent Hill"... >.>

4... Not even near to 10... x_x'

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 12:22 Edited at: 9th Aug 2007 12:47
Ok Mike i start to fix bugs on my optimized version.. And maybe turn all goto things and etc to Functions.. But that will be annyoining task... So i not sure will i do it.. (It would clean code so much and make it easier to read and maybe faster compiling)

OR

If you want we can team up and write whole thing from scratch

Edit:

Ok i dont think that i can fix those bugs properply cuz i dont knwo what every variable and so on things do.. So do i just pack the source here or so on?

Known Bugs:

Bug:
Items and Coins appears whole time after enemy deaths
Solution:
Add variable Enemy.Alive cuz im now using exclude object on and off so object visible doesnt work anymore..

Bug:
Sometimes Girl changes color when attack..
Solution:
May be backdrop bug (Cuz i disabled backdrop.. You can just turn it on if you want ) or something else.. You need to look into it.

Also i changed something what doesnt need to be changed so you can change them back.. Also i disabled the F12 button event

But writing whole thing scratch would be better thing for you aswell.. Arrays FTW!

[center]
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 13:09
ME!!!
I want you to continue. .

Quote: "4... Not even near to 10... x_x'"

I think it's because your forum thread was quiet for a long time.
But now are 5!
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 14:32
@Roxas:
Wow, you've discovered a lot of slowing bugs!
The one I made last time was very, very messy... So I will recode everything from scratch...
Besides, when I was working on the H-game (which I also canceled it), i managed to get some plugins... (EzRo, EnAn, DarkAI, etc...) So i'll definitely recode everything, especially the actions and animations...
Quote: "Also i disabled the F12 button event"

Whyyyyyyyy????? LOL

@Alfa x: I guess so... 5!!!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 16:02 Edited at: 9th Aug 2007 16:28
Well it was catching Eye Candy

But it may be not so catching for everyone lol!

And remember

Functions, UDT's and Arrays FTW! Lol..

Btw.

Im really intrested on Maks of Zora project.. Is it stopped or something? If it is could it be possible to me look into that project?

Btw2.

Heres my fastmade FFX Style W.I.P Battle engine with source so you can see my code style

If you want to compile it you need the ZP Particle plugin (Look into program annoucments)

[center]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 16:58
Ah, I found that my automatic updates had been turned off!
well, I'm going through that right now, we'll see what happened after the updates finish.

I recommend making a geek culture thread asking people if they want you to continue. Almost no one check this board anymore, but if you post in geek culture with the download link, you'll get about 50 people at the very least asking you to continue.

And I'm getting a very cool idea of the landscape.

And turn back on the F12 event!!! I haven't got a chance to see it yet.

And I vote again!... 5 times.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 17:17
Lol.. Just download the newest demo of mike inels f12 contains some low poly (.)(.) ! Thats all i can tell ya.

[center]
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 17:33
@Roxas: Mask of Zorah was long dead... I was about to remake it (With Kairi as the protagonist)

But i'm thinking of canceling it (again, for the hundred'th time) and work on IOTT instead...

@Bizar Guy: Ah, no need... Even if the counts are low, i'll still work on it anyway... I have nothing better to do now...

And a big BTW, my computer's broke for now... And I have some 3d commissions to do, so this project will start at maybe a month from now? (Sob)

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 17:36 Edited at: 9th Aug 2007 17:38
Dang.. I really love your models.. Looks like Kairi forgot to wear pants

Btw. Did you test my Battle Engine ?

[center]
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 20:20 Edited at: 9th Aug 2007 20:23
I want you to continue on this game. That makes 6!

You could maybe ask a mod to move this to the regular WIP board, then you'd get lots of more votes.

Quote: "And a big BTW, my computer's broke for now...(Sob)"

Wow. That's exactly what happened to my grandpop's computer. Whenever we use too much CPU power or do something 3D - . If you find an easy way to fix it please tell, it might work twice.

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 00:36 Edited at: 10th Aug 2007 04:17
@Roxas: I've downloaded it, but not tested yet... My darn computer can't run anything directx based unless my video card's in placed... x_x'

@Code Dragon: Nah... I'm happy with 6 votes...
Besides, I don't want to announce anything anymore like what I did in my blog... So many announcements yet none of them happened... T_T
And yes, i'll let you know when I get my computer fixed... ^_^

Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Mike if your getting IOTT going again will you be setting up a passworded section of your blog again so that your team can keep updated?

DaZ

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 13:18 Edited at: 10th Aug 2007 13:21
[edit]
Nevermind

Hakuna Matata
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 15:02
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 20:26
Downloaded again, I've found one bug in it, I've found when I've closed it and tried to run it afterwards(or other DBP exes) I get a 'Insufficient video memory' error, I'm assuming there's a leak somewhere or something. (Though it doesn't happy if I close through 'Processes' on task manager, it could be a DBP bug or a bug in your code, I don't know)

Hakuna Matata
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2007 01:06
I have a tip for IOTT. Instead of making the player choose the display resolution from a list, just auto-detect the biggest resolution. See this code snippet on how to do it if you don't already know:

http://codebase.dbp-site.com/code/how-automatically-detect-maximum-screen-resolution-29

Dragonware Games - Free Game Downloads
Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
for those who havnt checked yet, Mike has put up a new sneak peak of the newlook IOTT on his blog! it looks awsome! and I cant wait to score it!

DaZ

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 22:50
@ JunkRock: do you have your fees somewhere?
thanks for the info

@ Mike: Wow, the normal mapped character is unique in ts genre. Do you have a tut or something like that?

The new level of IOTT is real good.
Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
My fees are very negotiable and depend on the project, lol the better you can sell it to me the more likly I am to give you discount

Heh I cant wait till Mike tells me what kinda music he wants for IOTT so I can work on the theme tune!

DaZ

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2007 15:25
@ Junrock: Do you have a mail?.

The better i sell to you?.
I Don't get it.
The quantity of songs. Or the lenght. Or how easy?.

Thanks.
Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
dazexus@hotmail.com

The beter you can make me want to to work on your game that is...

DaZ

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 13:04
Quote: "I like it better than Final Exodus, but that's only because you have to *gasp* read the manual to play."

Blasphemy! You've been possessed by satan!! Burn the wi... However the games are totally different genres so I don't see how you can compare them

Speaking of witches, where are my prizes! No doubt Mike too still hasn't received any

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 13:35
Yeah, where are our prizes!?!?!

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2007 15:54 Edited at: 20th Aug 2007 15:55
what?????????????????''''
you haven't received a prize.
This talks very badly about the contest.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 10:03:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 10:03:43