Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / TGC Heroes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2010 23:03 Edited at: 16th May 2012 17:44
I have Neodelito's character, Cabellero, in-game now. Here is a pic of it battling AlfaX's Human Collector:

I still have some stuff to do (UberPwnage, grab/throw, etc.), but it is playable in-game at this point.

EDIT: Here is an in-game pic of Cabellero using his Uber flames to waste Drew (he is almost out of sight at the top).

Flame images provided by ImageAll.

So many games to code.......so little time.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 16:50 Edited at: 16th May 2012 17:48
23 March 2010 update. V 0.95 is now available! A new character is in place; Cabellero. Download it here (35.69 MB):

http://www.mediafire.com/?yk2ndw3mmvu

It is also recommended that you download the game manual, which can be found here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2milm1ymunt

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 01:25
WinRAR is telling me the file is corrupted...

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2010 14:04 Edited at: 16th May 2012 17:51
BMacZero:

Thanks for letting me know. I have no idea what happened. I know it took a long time to upload.

I have re-uploaded the file, changed the links, downloaded and tested the file and everything works fine now.

Thanks again,

LB

Attachments

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2010 01:04
nice advance.

Wanting to go home to test it.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2010 02:31
Fun game, wish I had more time to play things like this. I have a little of everything as far as comments:

Bug report: on the control select screen, the puck has a tendency to get stuck. It seems to stop whenever you pass over one of the options and is almost impossible to get back off.

Also, the AI tends to, well, jump off the edge when you get hit far to the left or right.

Now as far as gameplay:
- I'd like a sort of edge-grab or mechanic of that sort. I played three games, lost all of them, and only died twice legitimately from the cpu. I'd be coming down (which tends to happen really fast) and just dive straight through a hole in the stage.
- Once you have someone significantly up in the air, it's almost impossible for them to recover. You can just follow them around, jumping up and juggling them back up into the air again. It's almost impossible to retaliate. I've done it to the CPU and had it done to me as well. The characters need some really good down-aerials.
- Attack variety. The attack animations are different, but all of them are really just "hit the other guy". Some unique moves like missiles, teleportation, whatever would give a lot more variety to matches.

Overall, well-done and many improvements from when I last played .

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2010 16:53 Edited at: 16th May 2012 17:53
AlfaX: thanks

BmacZero: thanks for the feedback and crit.
Quote: " on the control select screen, the puck has a tendency to get stuck. It seems to stop whenever you pass over one of the options and is almost impossible to get back off."

I figured if the puck did get stuck that someone could just back out of it and try again. I will work on it, though, to make it quit doing that. EDIT: FIXED THIS.

Quote: "Also, the AI tends to, well, jump off the edge when you get hit far to the left or right."

It's so hard to find intelligent AI these days!

Quote: "I'd like a sort of edge-grab or mechanic of that sort."

I will consider doing this. I can't say 100% that I will put it in, but the idea has merit.

Quote: "I'd be coming down (which tends to happen really fast) and just dive straight through a hole in the stage."

EDIT: FIXED THIS.

Quote: "Once you have someone significantly up in the air, it's almost impossible for them to recover. You can just follow them around, jumping up and juggling them back up into the air again. It's almost impossible to retaliate."

EDIT: Could not duplicate this.

Quote: "Attack variety. The attack animations are different, but all of them are really just "hit the other guy". Some unique moves like missiles, teleportation, whatever would give a lot more variety to matches."

I will consider this also. I agree that the game could use more variety in attacks.

Quote: "Overall, well-done and many improvements from when I last played ."

Thanks You have been very helpful in providing feedback and crit.

LB

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2010 17:28
Quote: "Okay, I will reduce the gravity somewhat on the players. I take it you mean that you missed the platform because you were moving down too quickly. I don't believe there are any collision errors to where the players will actually go through a platform. Please let me know if this is the case."

You got it, didn't notice any CCD problems.

Thanks .

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 19:25 Edited at: 29th Apr 2010 14:58
Progress update:

The 'puck' no longer gets stuck on the Configure screen.

Found some intelligence (from my wife, of course) for the AI - it no longer will stupidly jump off the edge when an opponent has been smacked way away from the arena.

Adjusted vertical movement so that all players (humans and AI) will not fall as fast.

Could not duplicate
Quote: "Once you have someone significantly up in the air, it's almost impossible for them to recover"
, however, battling collision was adjusted.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 02:26
Awesome .

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 13:43 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2010 13:46
where can i find the latest download? doesn't seem to be in the first post

EDIT: it's few posts above, sorry didn't notice it, downloading

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 16:39 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2010 01:13
Hi Hassan,

Glad you figured out where the link is. Although I was a part of this team when the original thread was created, I was not the one to make the initial post, so I don't have the ability to make edits there.

For others that may be interested, I did start a thread in Program Announcements that does have the link in the first post. It's located here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=164473&b=5

It is worth mentioning that the current changes I have made to the code (listed three posts up) are not implemented in v 0.95 and are expected to be included in v 0.99, which is anticipated to be complete within the next two weeks. Bear in mind that I am lousy at making coding forecasts.

LB

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 18:16
you should remove that TGC heroes background after the starting screen, it makes stuff pretty much "messy", and the AI is insane, i couldn't do anything while i was getting getting owned by it, like a volley ball

the game looks nice, except that i cant do anything more than looking @ my character losing

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 19:22 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2010 01:13
Quote: "you should remove that TGC heroes background after the starting screen, it makes stuff pretty much "messy""

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. The TGC Heroes background is hidden after the title screen and you should not see it. Could you provide an in-game pic so that I can address it?

Quote: "the AI is insane, i couldn't do anything while i was getting getting owned by it, like a volley ball"

This made me chuckle! I always thought the AI wasn't tough enough, though it is aggressive in hounding you. But then again, I've played the game a zillion times, so I've learned how it is. I have heard this same comment from others. You have to be a pretty aggressive player in order to win. I will see what I can do to reduce the AI's insaneness.

Thank you for your feedback. I will plan to include these changes in the next build.

LB

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 21:07 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2010 21:13

everything looks pretty much messy, and the most annoying thing is that most ( if not all ) buttons are not reactive, so you cant always figure out whther its a button, or part of the messy background with some little focusing ( i hate that )

to be honest, you need some work on the user interface, buttons mouse etc, and you need some better textures

sorry for being "very critic", but i think improving these should make the game pure awesomeness.

good luck with it though!

EDIT: are you setting the resolution to the player's screen resolution, or you are using a fixed screen resolution?
if it's fixed, you SHOULD make it fit everyone's screen, it would look much better, and less messy ( i think main reason for being messy is that its stretched ( or the lady in the pic is fat? ) )

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 21:25 Edited at: 29th Apr 2010 14:59
Okay, I thought you were talking about the title screen that comes up when the game first starts up, but you are referring to the character selection screen. The game is indeed fixed using display mode 1024,768,32.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 21:57
by the way, why don't you use the user's screen resolution, rather than the 1024x768x32?

not really good at basic, but it should look like this

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 17:24 Edited at: 29th Apr 2010 14:54
No one has ever said anything about the screen resolution. I don't believe that is the problem.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 18:08
i dont think it will make any problems, most people got 1024x768 screens, so it works fine for them, but i got widescreen ( 1366x768 ), 300+ pixels stretch for me, destroys alot of details

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 01:58
Just a thought, but you could use set camera view for wide screens to chop off the parts that are too wide...

TheComet

I will kill u all eventually
Years of Service
User Offline
graphic sux
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 18:12
Any updates?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 19:11
Quote: "graphic sux"

Lol, a little harsh, but along the same lines as the issues most people (including myself) have been addressing.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 20:34 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 19:41
Quote: "Any updates?"

Thanks for your interest TheComet. Due to the primarily negative feedback surrounding this game I have decided it is not worth pursuing any longer and have hung it up. Good luck on Mega Mash Mothers.

Attachments

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 20:48
Quote: "Due to the primarily negative feedback surrounding this game I have decided it is not worth pursuing any longer and have hang it up."

Really? I got the impression that there were specific complaints and overall people liked the game :/

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 21:49 Edited at: 7th May 2010 23:33
Quote: "Thanks for your interest TheComet. Due to the primarily negative feedback surrounding this game I have decided it is not worth pursuing any longer and have hang it up. Good luck on Mega Mothers."

That's too bad... You really put a lot of effort into this game, it's a shame to see it all being blown away by a few bad comments... Any chance of you releasing the source? Maybe someone else could finish it...

TheComet

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 22:31
You really shouldn't listen to anyone who's giving you negative feedback without constructive criticism (I'm looking at mister-joined-just-to-post-a-two-word-flame up there).

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2010 09:01 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 19:39
Quote: "Any chance of you releasing the source? Maybe someone else could finish it..."

Actually, I considered v 0.88 as a "finished" version of TGC Heroes. At that point, the game did not need anything to be considered a complete game. Since then, I have made two revisions to it; v 0.94 corrected some problem areas and v 0.95 mainly just swapped out a character. Basically, anything at this point is polish / revision / updates. As to the source code; no, I do not plan on releasing it. I gave away the .exe for free, but not the source code.

EDIT:
Quote: "You really shouldn't listen to anyone who's giving you negative feedback without constructive criticism (I'm looking at mister-joined-just-to-post-a-two-word-flame up there)."

That is a good point, but it's not just him, although that did really tick me off. It is disheartening when you invest so much time and effort into a game and the community reaction is not what you hoped for all the time you were making it.

I hope to implement some/most of the changes that have been suggested. It will take some time to get it done.

L.S.

Attachments

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2010 18:09 Edited at: 10th May 2010 09:33
Umm, well I checked out the Program Announcements board, and did not see devastating amounts of criticism, but I guess I might see it differently if it were my game.

I wouldn't tell you to start it up again, if you want move onto another project or real life gets in the way. But the criticisms did not seem all that devastating to me.

Have you released it anywhere else? Would be a god idea.

Edit: Tried the game, had lots of trouble :/ my fps was 13, though I don't know why 'cause nothing was happening that looked that process intensive. I don't THINK everything was supposed to be super slow, but it was .

Also, the "lets rock" button was super confusing. I selected characters and a level like five times, and gave up. I pressed it thinking that would be the exit button. luckily, it started the level. Then I could not figure out how to attack. I had thought I understood after looking at the controls, but did not. When I wanted to leave the level, to check the controls again, I hit escape, and the game exited

It kinda felt like it had not had many play testers. I know from my own game, people don't think the same way you do, and thus catch a lot of mistakes you (as the developer) would not. There were graphical inconsistencies, but those were not a big deal. Only thing I will complain about there is that the opening menu and the character selection menu should be in a similar style. My main complaint is I had a lot of trouble playing the game, and even in exiting I could not get it to close properly. it remained on my task bar even though it was closed, and I had to force quit two or three times. Optimization and a re-working of the menu would fix most of the problems I think. if the game ran faster than 13 fps I would be able to comment better on the gameplay.

As you feel you are done, I suppose I would say to consider these things for your next game. Play testers are always good. You know they only want to help, and any crit they give will be to make the game better, not to put it down.

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 15:24
@Bizar Guy- Yes, the game will run slowly on your computer if it is older. I have a Quad-core computer with 8GB ram and the game still drops below 60FPS in some levels. The game had play testers, but we were limited to a few sincere play testers to benefit the game. The game does not have the best graphics, but the game is fun if you know how to play it. We made a professional 15 page game manual for TGC Heroes to explain the game, and the controls.

Regards,

Beastegargoyle

Final Judgment Games website cane be accessed at http://fjg.jaredgingerich.com
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 21:52
Thanks. I just got a new comp, may try again in a bit, and read the manual first. However, why are you defending the graphics? I did not really mention them as a down point, more the menu inconstancies.

I will give a more complete critique if I play the game soon. It may be harsh, but I'm confident there is a good game here.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 01:25
Improving a game can be time consuming and a very hard task to get on. Although i recognize there is room for improvement, maybe some other types of projects can be more attractive for LBFN and that has to be heard too. However take into account that those comments to me are gold, so keep doing them.

The feedback here can be sometimes hard if you are the main developer and you come to love your game. However, as Bizar Guy says is better to hear that, than anybody barely says nothing. I confident that any further criticism is going to be well received and will help TGC Heroes team to become better game developers.

Cheers.

AlfaX

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 04:00:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 04:00:09