Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Public Test - Upgrade 7.5

Author
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I've come to notice that if you are running a DBPRO application and your computer's resolution changes the application crashes. A good example of this is running the FPSC editor and then use CTRL + ALT + DELETE (must be using a computer that has windows 7 or vista). This causes a resolution change (at least for me it does) and causes the application to give an error and crash.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 01:42 Edited at: 1st Apr 2010 02:18
Lee,

Just a quick comment for now:

Quote: "Green Gandalf : There is no PRINT feature in the latest Mar 11 2010 build of the editor. This might explain something, can you click HELP > ABOUT DARK BASIC PRO EDITOR and let me know what the build date is, thanks."

The build date is 11 March 2010 - and the Print option is still there:

However, it doesn't seem to be listed in the menus. Perhaps the button was left in by mistake? I used the button. I guess the other user did too. Any reason for removing this feature?

I'll check the status of your other points ASAP (probably tomorrow).

Edit You asked:

Quote: "Everyone: Can anyone reproduce Green Gandalf's Problem One. I followed the steps exactly with the Mar 11 2010 build but when I looked at the solution entry it showed the new renamed file. Admittedly it was an absolute path (not recommended) but the solution and code window both showed the renamed file."

That particular problem has been annoying me ever since I reported it - but, rather bizarrely, I now just can't reproduce it using my original step by step procedure - on either of my machines. I'll have another look tomorrow. I still get a closely related problem - but again I'll have a careful look tomorrow. Two things have changed since I first reported that bug - I've tinkered with the IDE's Options and I've just installed a series of Windows updates on both machines. The odd thng is that I now seem to get the absolute path that you mention - but I hadn't in the latest beta till this evening. Weird. I might try re-installing beta 8c from scratch to see if the original problem occurs with the original settings.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 05:19
Quote: "Flatlander : It will be very difficult to reproduce this one right now. If you can write a four line program that shows a difference in shader usage using BETA8 between Win XP and Win7 then I can probably help, but using the FPSC source code and BETA2, it's a tricky one to deal with and might take me half a day"

That's OK, I understand. I wasn't expecting you to test using Beta 2. I was just wondering if you knew if the newer betas were working. I also was hoping to find out from anyone if they had any problems using shaders without it being in the FPSC source code.

As soon as I am done with the mod, should be in the next couple of days, I will test the newest beta.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 13:29 Edited at: 1st Apr 2010 13:51
Lee,

Here's an example of a variant of Problem 2 (using beta8c):

This happens as follows:

Step 1: Open DBPro
Step 2: Use Save Project As with a suitable name and directory (at this point the Solution window and code window both show "Untitled1.dba").
Step 3: Enter some code into the code window.
Step 4: Use Save As to change the dba file name - the code and solution windows are now out of step and compiling now saves, compiles and runs the original empty code "Untitled1.dba". The image above is obtained after trying to compile the new code. If I now exit DBPro the new code is correctly saved - but is not saved as part of the project, so it seems to the user that the code has been lost when you re-open the project.

Edit The above happens consistently for me now - but seems to be essentially the same as your steps:

Quote: "Green Gandalf : In respect to the renaming project, dba and exe and the editor not retaining these changes. I created project A as normal, then used SAVE PROJECT AS to save a new DBPRO file, then used SAVE AS to save a new DBA file, then changed the code a little, then exited without saving, the editor prompted me to save so I said yes. I loaded the new project B, and everything was fine including my change in the code and the new project and file names.
"

Looking into this more closely, I think the problem lies in your phrase "I created project A as normal". What does that mean? Normal to whom? I've just reproduced your result by doing the following in an attempt to reproduce what you might mean by "normal" ():

Step 1: Open DBPro.
Step 2a: Use New/Project.
Step 2b: In the dialogue box that opens, insert a suitable name in the Name box, use browse to choose a suitable folder, and finally uncheck the "Create directory for this project".

The above steps work as you describe. I think my steps should achieve a similar result - and there's nothing to warn the user that my steps won't work.

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 17:24
I am happy with this rebuild of the DLL's as it now means I do have to use 7.5 beta 2 to compile my weather station code, now compiles and runs fine no more ntdll.dll errors.

Off to check out whats else was added, fixed.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Cujo Canada
Years of Service
User Offline
it would be nice if you guys added support for dynamic multidimensional arrays

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/CaptainEllipsis/Sigs%20and%20Wallpapers/MetroidPrime3wallpaperv3.png
griffirr
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Lee,

The bitmap bug is gone.
This Beta 10 appears to be very stable engine wise. I'll report back if I find any edditor problems that are not already listed.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 07:13
I installed Beta 10. I still get the same problem as with beta 2 regarding the shaders. However, I don't have the problems I was having with running fpsc after compiling with anything higher than beta 2.

This maybe something you will want to keep in mind when releasing the next source code of FPSC. I have no problems with compiling using XP. What I mean is I'm personally in no hurry and will compile using XP.

sladeiw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 17:14
Ok, so I downloaded the latest beta and patched it on my spare machine and now when I try compiling with a deliberate synatx error it dosen't even try to move to highlight the errored line! So I wiped it all to start completely afresh, downloaded & registered the free version, applied beta 10 and still is the same. (See previous post for method)

As Lee asked, can anyone reproduce this or am I going crazy lol.

Btw, spare machine has a res of 1280x1024. (Just adding that because Lee stated his res was 1360x768. I changed my res to 1024x768 and same result.)
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 18:16
Quote: "can anyone reproduce this or am I going crazy lol"

I'm getting the same problem with some of the reports I've posted.

Anyway, I can't reproduce your problem. Could you post a sample project (dbpro + dba files) plus specific instructions on what to do to get the error?
sladeiw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 21:10
Quote: "Anyway, I can't reproduce your problem. Could you post a sample project (dbpro + dba files) plus specific instructions on what to do to get the error?"

I can reproduce it fine, except now it's worse. I described how to reproduce it with screenshots in an earlier post. Quick summary:

Make sure output panel is on auto-hide, and in options tick the box that selects `show output panel when compiling if hidden`.

Create blank project, and make 50+ lines of whatever code (I just used Print)
On the last line, type a syntax error. (I used Printy)
Move cursor back to very top of source. (So last line with `Printy` is not visible on the screen)
Compile - Output panel slides into view, gets an error on last line - Editor should focus the cursor on that line.

Now, the original problem is that the editor did not allow for the output panel being hidden. ie. It would scroll and focus on the error line that WOULD be visible if the output panel was not there.

The problem I got this time is that the editor does not scroll or move at all!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 21:31 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2010 21:44
Thanks for that. I agree.

Edit

Actually, there's another problem. Two line 51's????

I got this by following your steps and scrolling down so none of the code was visible, then compile, then scroll up one line at a time. The extra line disappears fairly quickly depending on what you do next.

I'm glad I'm not having to code the new editor.

Attachments

m2design
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 02:42 Edited at: 6th Apr 2010 00:44
Subject: test of new editor 1.75 Beta 10:
Equipment:
Windows xp service pack 3
HP Pavilion
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual
Core processor 5000+
2.61 GHz 2 gb Ram
Problem: Auto indent is inconsitant - Type block of code (for/next as an example) might indent might not
if not then indent the whole code block and then remove indent and it will sometimes indent and display the fold symbols.

Type the same code block with out indents (because auto indent has decided not to function) you will get no
fold symbols - indent the block and remove indents and you get the fold symbols.
Save the project exit DBP. restart DBP -open the file just saved and all the fold symbols are gone.
This is the problem with all code subject to possible fold options.

Problem: In the editor options when changing colors for variables it shows a color change
in the editor optins panel but when you exit the editor to return to the code page the varible colors
remain white (no color change).

Wish: Is it possible to allow an option to revise the color( that is now a default) for the active line color?
The default color makes the active code line hard to read depending on the color scheme choice.
Thanks
I am having a real problem posting this to the right thread - hope I have it right this time - if not I'm sorry
NEW...
Beta 10 does not create a stand alone compiled exe file.The file that is created is an exe file but will not run. All I get is a message stating that windows needs the program that created the exe, when furnished I am put into darkbasic with no code.

Also why is the beta writing files to my administrator folder??
I do not understand how my administrator folder would have any connection to darkbasic the c:\admin.......\recent folder just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

P.S. Please do not eliminate the print command in the toolbar
no programing language should force the code writer to paste and copy to get a print-out.
Duke E
Years of Service
User Offline
Few things about the search function.

It is pretty irritating having the "Look in" combobox change to "Selection" when only one word is selected. The work order now would be you select one word in the code and copy it, then hit Ctrl-F to bring up the search window and paste the word in to the "Find what" box. A better work order would be to have the selected word appear automatically in the "Find what" box and keep "Current document" in the "Look in" combo unless multiple lines are selected.

Also, the left margin in the code view pane does not reset properly after you have searched and found a word in a line that is wider that the code view. You have to manually scroll back to the left every subsequent search (See attached picture).

Regards

Attachments

sladeiw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 15:41
Quote: "
I'm glad I'm not having to code the new editor.
"

Indeed, my honest (if unqualified) opinion is that he will be picking bugs out of it forever and a day. (Hope I'm proved wrong!)

I would disable all the `advanced` features, get the basic editor rock solid and then add them back in at leisure over the next few updates. I'm still using the March 09 editor build and it has never hard-crashed, it just has a few bits of annoying behaviour.

[puts on flame-retardant suit]
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 20:26
Quote: "[puts on flame-retardant suit] "

Could you give us the brand? It seems to have worked.
m2design
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 02:37
Found the no execute file problem:
Example:
when you use the properties panel to give a program an execute file name and you use the browse button to indicate the path and file name, you get a panel that will ask for the file name to use as a compile name and the box below indicates it will save as an exe file.

Not true. If you do not type the explicite .exe after the file name you have entered then dark basic will compile the program as a file which windows will not recognize.The file will need to be renamed to include .exe.

in the properties panel the compile name MUST include a physical.exe extension.
Thank you
m2design
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 08:11 Edited at: 7th Apr 2010 07:46
Good job!!
The print button still appears on the tool bar but it does not work!

Folding symbols still do not appear when they should and they do
not hold when the project is reopened.

Still think we should have some control over the current line
color - very hard to read.

In the options - editor color settings the color will not change
for variables shows a change in options but does not really change
in the editor.

Thanks
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 02:45
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the extra feedback, I will go through them properly this week. For now, I have a batch of fixes wrapped up in BETA11 for you. A few odd bits and these editor fixes:

* Fixed Highlight Current Line - correct line when hit RETURN for CR
* Prevents AD window from displaying if no internet connection
* Fixed Concatenation Not Work With F7
* Fixed New project Can Overwrite One Of Same Name
* Fixed Label not recognised if you add a space before

As the ultimate demonstration of the auto-show output box bug, can someone make a small video of it so I can see. I have run on two machines now and both scroll nicely to the correct line and auto show the output box. I am using Vista 64 bit, 1360x768.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 13:15 Edited at: 7th Apr 2010 13:16
looking good .

Just one thing, when I use the find in files option, It finds the line but highlights the one above it, in the find box shows the correct line in words.

Attachments

MrSteve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 16:56
can't execute my programs now, why is this happening?

A bump on the head........ is worth two in a bush?
m2design
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 21:19 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2010 07:19
No fold symbols:
Please try this--
Step 1:load dbp
step 2:open a new file
step 3:type the following:
For i=1 to 6
print i
next
This block of code will have no fold symbols displayed.(but it should).
step 4:highlite the block of code indent the block - no change.
step 5:remove indent from the block and the fold symbols will
appear. Why???

save the file with the symbols displayed. Exit dbp
Step 6: reopen dbp and reload the file just saved.
Same code will be there but no fold symbols.Why????

Will some one please try this and let me know the result -
is it just my setup or does the editor have a problem with fold symbol display?

Also automatic complete only works about half of the time.
Thanks for any response - if this is the right forum to address this.
m2design
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 21:24
TEMP FILES:

Is there any way you can get DBP to clean out all of the temp files
it writes to the windows/temp folder during its compile process?

I really don't like cleaning up after it!

Thanks
sladeiw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 00:08
Quote: "
As the ultimate demonstration of the auto-show output box bug, can someone make a small video of it so I can see. I have run on two machines now and both scroll nicely to the correct line and auto show the output box. I am using Vista 64 bit, 1360x768.
"

And you can actually see the errored line in the main window while the output box is still on-screen? I have tried 3 machines now, 2 which are XP Pro & another with Windows 7 64bit. Incidentally, I coulden't get beta 10 & 11 to even scroll the main window at all when compile errors occur.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 00:30 Edited at: 8th Apr 2010 00:30
Lee

I have at least one of the same problems as before with new projects, i.e. the compiler refuses to save the new code and compiles and runs the previously saved version. Here's a screenshot showing the editor window with a section of the resulting output below it. Notice that the asterisk is still showing in the title of the code window:

The Help menu says the editor is the 7 April build.

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 01:33 Edited at: 8th Apr 2010 01:33
Here's a step by step procedure of what happens - with screenshots. This time I followed the steps through to the end and noticed at least TWO NEW problems:

Step 1: Open DBPro - this shows an empty project with Untitled1.dba in the code and solution windows (see image A).
Step 2: Use Open File (add to project) - to add an earlier dba code file (see image B).
Step 3: Use Save As to change the name of the file just loaded so we don't accidentally overwrite the old file (see image C).
Step 4: Use Save Project As to give the project a suitable name in the same folder (image D).
Step 5: Use the solution explorer window to remove Untitled1.dba from the project (image E).
Step 6: Make a change to the dba code (I changed v1 to v2 in the code window) (image F). Everything seems fine up to this point.
Step 7: Use "Save, compile and run" (image G). NOTE THAT THE TEXT SHOWN IN THE SCREENSHOT EXTRACT IS THE OLD TEXT, i.e. v1 not v2 (image G).
Step 8: Press any key to stop the program and return to the editor - note that something has been compiled but the asterisk still shows
on the file name in the code window, i.e. the old code was compiled and the changes have not been saved (image H).
Step 9: Close DBPro - the editor prompts me to save the project and the code. I breathe a sigh of relief.
Step 10: (I think this problem is new) Go to the project folder and double cleck on the new project to open it (image I). Oh no! What's happened?
Step 11: I try to remove the rogue Untitled1.dba file from the project and the editor does nothing.

Sorry about the large image but Lee just doesn't seem to believe there's a problem. This has been reproducible on both my machines for various updates - except for the problems noted in Steps 10 and 11 which seem new.

Could someone please follow exactly my steps and tell me what happens?

Attachments

BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 06:20
Why, when I choose Save-As to save the source code with a new name, it only seems to ask for a file name and save the file when I close the editor?

I would like it to immediately ask for the new filename.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 13:18 Edited at: 9th Apr 2010 00:52
It's even worse than that for me. If I open DBPro and immediately try to use Save As to rename the dba file from Untitled1.dba then the file is saved and I'm given no choice about file name - and I can't find the folder its been saved in.

Here's a before and after screenshot - notice that I've added a line and the file has been saved. It's as if the editor is using Save instead of Save As.

Edit

This particular problem only occurs on my XP laptop - and survives a re-boot. It doesn't happen on my Vista PC. The problems reported earlier happen on both machines.

Attachments

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 23:04 Edited at: 9th Apr 2010 00:11
post removed

JavierTF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 05:47 Edited at: 9th Apr 2010 05:52
Hi Lee:

Certainly, one of the folders is corrupted. It is not possible to eliminate it. I'll take a look in depth at the hard disk to find the reason. Already you know, the law of murphy.

About the duplicated names: problem solved. Apparently, when a corrupt folder exists, when the program saved the project the system added... a white space at the end of the name of the 'duplicated' folder! Argggg.

Anyway, this days I am working with the GDK and C ++, By that I'll be in a 'DBPro Stand by' for some weeks.

Thanks a lot.

JavierTF
Booma
Years of Service
User Offline
to Green Gandalf I try to create project using your step by step instructions and yes I catch the bug which you have described. The compiler build project using old dba file and after this when I open project untitled.dba still was present. You are right - it's a bug
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 10:10 Edited at: 10th Apr 2010 11:02
I don't know if anyone else is getting this error. But its really starting to bug me. So my project is separated into 2 source files so far. The main source. And the data source.
Now if I call all images etc without the use of functions or subroutines it works perfectly, but obviously that's just silly.
If I make funtions and use them instead my game compiles, but at loading screen, crash's, "this program has stopped working" yadiyadiyada.
I was confused and searched forums for a fix. I thought maybe Lee changed the way fuctions worked in 7.5 because it sure worked before hand? But I doubted that. I got annoyed and changed all my functions to subroutines. Same error. I tend to choose functions over subroutines so any help would be appreciated. Any one got some advice? Cheers.

EDIT: Stupid obvious mistake on my part. It happens Nevermind

Eidos!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 16:14
Booma

Thanks.
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 19:33 Edited at: 16th Apr 2010 19:33
Is it possible to have a shortcut key for redo in the code editor? Like, CTRL + R/Y.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 01:20
I know that using set reflection shading will only work on one object.
however with the code below when I switch this command on the box object jumps in front of the sphere object that it was behind.

Also this is using the -1 bitmap system.

MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 22:52 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2010 02:21
Since the synergy based editor is officially part of the update, I hope that we can see a more perfected version. I notice this but Green Gandalf is having as well as a few smaller quirks that have been around in synergy for a while. I don't know if you would call them bugs or not.

When I have the automatic closing block statement option on, it doesn't also indent based on the opening statements indention but puts it at the very first of the line. This happens when the auto indent after open block is on.

Intellisense only seeks for the first 2 words so after I hit my second space it automatically selects the first command and places it in my code.

Also I notice that "variablename as integer = 123" will work in the newer editor but "variablename as integer = ReturnedValue()" does not.

Everyone else experiences these right? It's not breaking but it sure would be nice to bump up my productivity a little more.
Jaeg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 22:58
I am experiencing it too.

If you get mad and want to type something nasty about another person do this-Type what you want to say in the box then press ctrl-a and hit delete then type what you should say.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 23:58 Edited at: 21st Apr 2010 23:59
These are what I call logical bugs. Where they don't crash the app but they do something that is either not expected or they don't do what they are suppose to do. These are the hardest errors (bugs) to fix as so often they are also hard to duplicate and when the programmer can't duplicate it then it is next to impossible to fix.

MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
Most of these are present prior to the editor being maintained as the official editor. I don't think it's being updated by John Youren anymore. The indention on a close block bug kinda happened a while back as I remember it doing it correctly at one time. I would argue with them being some of the hardest bugs but if the original programmer didn't have good documentation and code structure then it could very well be a big lump of hard to read code. Then, it would be quite hard.
sladeiw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 12:13
Quote: "if the original programmer didn't have good documentation and code structure then it could very well be a big lump of hard to read code."

That is definitely true and why I said earlier that I think Lee has opened himself to a world of pain. Just try looking at some code you wrote yourself years ago and there is always some section that you think "wtf does this do!"

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 18:35
I can't seem to get the change mouse command to use anything other than options 0 and 1. I managed to get various cursors imported into the cursor panel but DBPro refused to use them. Did I miss something? I was using XP.
Creating Game
Years of Service
User Offline
Not only DBPro is a poor language. Now also the editor is
Zipir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 23:52
can anybody help?

a little bug???
DBPRO Code Editor is give this error (Object does not exist)????

-- when compile code at (full screen mode) not (full Desktop mode)
-- sometimes colmpiling code but when press alt+tab or win buttons its not turning back to working program...

Attachments

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2010 07:31
Hi, not too sure if this is a bug.

If I open my project, I have two DBpro.dba files that the project uses. But note the two screenshots regarding the functions used through out the entire project...

See how, depending on which DBpro.dba tab is selected, the functions available within the project changes.

Is this a bug? Or, if this is the correct behaviour, could someone explain why it is so?

Cheers in advance,
BFM
Sakuya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2010 01:56 Edited at: 2nd May 2010 01:58
if I get this right then the IDE, like the Synergy Editor im using and others I think too only shows you the functions when you have the file containing the Function declaration opened.

If it would show you for all function call you have in a file a "link" in that left tab of the IDE then you would need quite some space on the screen
zzbrandon
Years of Service
User Offline
working pretty well except for a few glitches and makes the tutorials hard to follow.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2010 18:19
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Have a few more fixes for you, and will go through the latest info from here and sort out a new beta. In the meantime drop the attached DLL into your beta build as it solves the 100 artist issue in the built-in store.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 00:14
Quote: "In the meantime drop the attached DLL into your beta build as it solves the 100 artist issue in the built-in store."

Where exactly do we drop it?
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 00:42
where the other one is.

hidding in the editor folder.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 01:56
Thanks. I didn't think of looking there.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 19:47:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 19:47:47