Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Public Test - Upgrade 7.5

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 11:24
Well I did have to use search to find out where it was hidding.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 13:06
Seem I cannot use the word 'free' as a variable as it clashes with reserved commands

plus when you have run your code and want to go back and look up a command moving the cursor up of down left or right will not lock on to the command, I have to press return to add a blank line before moving the cursor to get a lock.

Also in 7.5 beta 11, if I
1. start a new project and name it, add some code run it.
2. then save it with save all.
3. open another project to find some code for cutting and pasting.
4. when I look in the file for recently open list I do not see the project I was just working on, there the one I just loaded and the others before that but not the newest one.

also when writting physx code if I put in 'phy make' and then press space I do not get a chance to choose rigid body it just puts 'phy make 6dof joint' same with phy build.

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 20:30 Edited at: 5th May 2010 20:32
Has anyone had any problems with fullscreen with beta 11 the simple code below runs and shows the backdrop when window is selected in the editor but not when fullscreen is selected .

project is attached
thanks chunks

Edit: sorry this is on windows seven 32 bit

nvidia geforce 9500gt + amd athlon 64
windows vista ultimate.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 00:58 Edited at: 7th May 2010 06:02
Quote: "also when writting physx code if I put in 'phy make' and then press space I do not get a chance to choose rigid body it just puts 'phy make 6dof joint' same with phy build."

If you enter anything with more than 2 words in it it does that, it has for as long as I've used synergy with the intellisense. I mentioned it a few posts up.

So are we more worried about editor fixes or compiler fixes? I think now that they are both official parts of the package that they should have equal attention. I've been waiting for a reliable editor for a few years now but it's no good without a reliable compiler after you've written the code. Sorry if it's needy but I expect good return on an investment.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 00:11
BETA12 Uploaded. First seven entries in the EDITOR section show the progress. Feedback below. Sample attached.

Cujo Canada : No plans to add dynamic multi-dimensional arrays

m2design : The variable colour is the one piece of code that has been tough to anticipate in the code parser, so have removed this option. Print never worked in the new interface, so being removed to avoid confusion (and to save a few trees)

Duke E : No plans to augment the search facility. It's only a basic search tool at present.

m2design : When you enter a name for the executable, it will automatically append a .EXE to ensure the final file is a Win32 executable

m2design : Folding symbol issues are due to the BCG library the interface uses (third party tool) and this bug has been reported to them

MrSteve : The latest BETA can build and execute Win32 executables here no problems. Anyone else cannot run a 'hello world' exe?

Green Gandalf : Thanks for the screen shots, I was able to reproduce your issues.

MayoZebraHat : You cannot declare a variable with a function (variablename as integer = ReturnedValue()), it must be a literal

Green Gandalf : Provided sample program ChangeMouseAndIcon.zip showing how to use cursors (redundant multi-icons removed from new editor)

Creating Game : One can but try

Burning Feet Man : As Sakuya suggests, the code view only shows the elements of the currently viewed DBA file (helps with organisation of larger projects)

zzbrandon : Can you provide some more info regarding the 'hard tutorials' issue so I can take a closer look, thanks.

HowDo : This works fine for me: free=42 : print free : wait key : end

chunks chunks : Cannot reproduce. Both fullscreen and window show the blue backdrop and text

CONFIRMED (TO-DO)
---------

* Create an error in line 55 and press compile, does not highlight, does not scroll to it
* DBP EXE's should clean-up the temp files more effectively
* Intellisense broken (try to type SET CONTROL DEVICE INDEX and it autocompletes too early)
* Attempt to place the END BLOCK at the same indentation as the line we're typing (opening)

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Attachments

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 00:50
Quote: "Seem I cannot use the word 'free' as a variable as it clashes with reserved commands"

I believe that a 'free' is a command from one of IanM's plugins

God is real unless declared integer.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 00:58
I was starting to think that when Lee said it worked OK for him, so it might be in IanM,s plugins well at least I know what might be doing it.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 11th May 2010 14:17
Lee

Quote: "Green Gandalf : Thanks for the screen shots, I was able to reproduce your issues."

But not solved apparently? (I'll give details yet again in a separate post.)

Quote: "Green Gandalf : Provided sample program ChangeMouseAndIcon.zip showing how to use cursors (redundant multi-icons removed from new editor)"

I've tried that but I'm afraid I don't understand it at all. Pressing the mouse left button shows the cursor in file cursor3.cur, not pressing the button shows the windows wait or hourglass cursor. What's the point of the other two cursor files in the project's cursor window?
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 14:32 Edited at: 11th May 2010 15:02
Lee

What I said on 1st April still applies:

Quote: "This happens as follows:

Step 1: Open DBPro
Step 2: Use Save Project As with a suitable name and directory (at this point the Solution window and code window both show "Untitled1.dba").
Step 3: Enter some code into the code window.
Step 4: Use Save As to change the dba file name - the code and solution windows are now out of step and compiling now saves, compiles and runs the original empty code "Untitled1.dba". The image above is obtained after trying to compile the new code. If I now exit DBPro the new code is correctly saved - but is not saved as part of the project, so it seems to the user that the code has been lost when you re-open the project.

Edit The above happens consistently for me now - but seems to be essentially the same as your steps:
"

In fact the situation is worse - at Step 2 the confusing warning message from an earlier beta about moving files has been re-introduced. I chose "Yes". Are these editor improvements going anywhere?

In fact is this a new version of the editor? It's build date has changed certainly.

Edit As in earlier betas if you open an existing project and use Save As to change the dba file name then both the project window and the code window reflect the change. As I understand it this is correct behaviour. Why is it so difficult for a new project to work the same way?

Edit2 Spoke too soon. If I open an existing project and use Save As to change the dba file name then both windows do in fact reflect the change - but the changes are lost if you then exit DBPro - there is no warning that the project has changed and needs saving for the changes to take effect. This problem seems to have been re-introduced.

Edit3 This must be a new version of the editor - the print button has indeed been removed. Progress!
m2design
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 06:36
Lee
New editor -beta 12 bookmarks.

The bookmark feature works just fine ..EXCEPT..
DBP does not save the bookmarks when the project code is saved.

This requires the user to remember and bookmark again the areas being worked during the previous work session.

Sometimes I am working several gosub or functions in different
areas in a large progam and have spent a considerable effort
tracing down the flow and placing bookmarks - to no avail the next day.

I hope the bookmark feature is not from the same 3rd party that supplies the fold function because they seem to be on a little different schedule.

Thanks - it's looking good!!
EFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2010 02:46
Ok, just something of note. When navigating through code with the keyboard none of the tooltip's in the statusbar at the bottom of the screen update with whatever variable or function your currently sitting in.

It will only update when the cursor is placed with the mouse, or when you actually finish typing a function.

-
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2010 16:07 Edited at: 13th May 2010 16:10
in the very old IDE these two line will turn blue but in the new editor 7.5 beta 12 they do not.
Top line [linear] turns blue but the next line [angular] only the word sleep turns blue.

Booma
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using dbpro 7.5 beta 12
1) If I try to change font size or color under WinXP or Vista then IDE crashes (Tools>Options>Fonts and Colours>Size)
2) Still is present bug with highlight commands:
Tools>Options>Text Editor> uncheck [Replace Tab characters with spaces] after this type in your editor command [Sync On] and press Tab key on keyboard - [Sync] will be blue and [On] will be black and one more... click on [Sync] and press F1 you will see help page on Sync command not on Sync On
3) If I am using Tab characters in my code and [Replace Tab characters with spaces]is disabled and when I try enable this option all my Tab characters turn to strange symbols (only under WinXP)
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2010 19:37
Using an older beta version, I was able to duplicate exactly what Green Gandalf is experiencing. However, I could not use exactly his 4 step procedure but the result was still the same.

I am about ready to upload and test beta 12, so I will then test the same issue. I will give screen shots of how I had to do it to emulate those four steps.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2010 01:19
Hi Guys,

A quick BETA13 update to solve those quarrelsome project saving issues, but I can also feedback on the reports since BETA12 below:

m2design : The new interface was not designed to save bookmarks in the project file, and this functionality did not exist in the previous editor.

EFX : If you want the status bar update, simply activate the highlight line to refresh on each line (default is off for slightly faster performance)

CONFIRMED
---------

1. PHY SET DEFAULT SLEEP ANGULAR VELOCITY SQUARED not syntax highlighting correctly (DP)

2. Changing the font size from 10 to 12 in Tools>Options>Fonts and Colours>Size crashes IDE

3. Uncheck TABS to SPACES, type SYNC ON then press TAB, notice the ON turns BLACK!!

4. Type these lines, using the TAB key where it says [TAB]. Now check/uncheck 'Replace TAB with SPACES' to see problems:

print "start[TAB]end"
print[TAB]42

And thanks to GG for your persistence, keep hammering the smeg out of the editor, I want it to grow up big and strong

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2010 06:47
Hopefully the project saving issues have been fixed.

Quote: "keep hammering the smeg out of the editor, I want it to grow up big and strong"

I haven't checked the customized highlighting issues yet, but the the version I'm still using are still children.

Hopefully, I'll test that soon on, well, beta 13 now.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2010 13:16 Edited at: 14th May 2010 13:16
beta 13 compiler still messes up fpsc-game.dba for me. reverted back to an older beta version again. However, I kept the newer editor so will continue testing that. I'll wait to see how GG does with his test on saving and reloading new projects before I test it. Apparently, I do things a little differently than GG regarding creating and saving new projects and that is why I haven't run into the problem.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2010 14:19
Can you elaborate on "beta 13 compiler still messes up fpsc-game.dba for me"? I presume you refer to the FPSC source code in the extras zip file not compiling. Ensure you remember to change back the SETUP.INI so safetycode is switched to no and that you use the prescribed DLLs in the right places for a successful compile. Unfortunately I cannot guarantee the success of compiling any mods to FPSC, only the version we include in the Extras zip. Step by step and screen shot would be great, thanks.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2010 15:51
Lee, I've been at this for over a year now and I do know how this works. First of all I have the beta 6 or 7 compiler. The extra files are for beta 6 which I have been using since you beta 6 came out. This is the beta I am using and which works perfectly. Well, not so perfect as the shaders are messed up when compiled under Windows 7. I have to do my final compiles using the XP OS.

I had gone over this with you on previous betas above beta 7 or 8. It might be somewhere in this thread but I do still have the email communication with you regarding this.

Actually, beta 13 has made some things worse. I cannot take the time right now to go through it and you didn't do anything the last time anyway and you told me to revert back to the beta that works for me.

And as far as screen shots, I'm very cognizant of how they are helpful and have always used them, if you can remember. I have been about the only one who has most of the time.

However, I will say that when I use the prefab "staircase metal" and place a player start marker in it. The game compiled under beta 13 will not start at the marker. I find myself waaaayyy above the prefab structure looking down on the roof and slowly (fps 6) float downward until I die.

I have two new features to finish up with RPG Mod and when I am finished with that I will consider it 100% finished. So, perhaps at that time I will do some extensive testing which will probably take many, many hours of my time.

Again, right now it is a stable mod using U75 beta 6 or 7.

I am hoping that you have not done something so that I will not be able to migrate to v117. Of course, I will be using v117 to integrate the mod.

Another point, I have not done anything to your code, unless I forgot to take out some of airmod's old code that did modify your code and that's causing a problem. This mod is truly a mod that is only an "addition" to the stock and it certainly shouldn't cause a problem with not starting on the player start marker.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 14th May 2010 22:15
I don't know if this has already been brought up, I haven't really been following the thread, but there seems to be a problem with real values. For example, the following equation always results in 0.

Even doing 2/3 results in 0 instead of 0.667 like it should.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2010 22:51
@budokaiman

Whats the value of x?

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2010 23:08
Quote: "Even doing 2/3 results in 0 instead of 0.667 like it should."

2 and 3 are integer numbers so result will be integer to. If you want float as a result operands should be float as well. So if you want 0.667 as a result you need to divide numbers like this: 2.0/3.0

"After you finish the first 90% of a project, you have to finish the other 90%." - Michael Abrash
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2010 23:35
Quote: "2.0/3.0"

...Darn .0s, forgot about those.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2010 06:04
Sorry Flatlander, so many plates I forgot about our history of events I agree with myself that you should stick with the beta you are happy with as the FPSC V116 source code will be dependent on some quirk of U74. U75 introduces a few core changes and any one of them might do strange things to the current V116 source code. Right now the U75 build is being used to develop the internal V117 version of FPSC so it is probably best that anyone wishing to work with FPSC source should stick to U74 or the early U75 betas (6/7). I will be making it a point that the final V117 source code is 100% compatible with U75 final release, though I cannot give estimates on when either of those will become available. If you want to use the latest editor, but keep the functionality of U74, simply retain a full backup of your old U74 installation, install U75 beta, extract the NewEditor.exe file and re-instate your old U74 folder, then copy in the new editor file accordingly (or vice versa, make a backup of your U74 compiler folder and copy it into your new U75 beta folder).

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2010 09:58
Thanks Lee. Sorry for my sounding terse but . . .

Oh well, I won't worry about testing this until you are ready to release FPSC v117 and then the new extras file. I can understand it takes time. It took me just about 1 year to finish RPG Mod.

As you mentioned I have retained the newest editor.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Scab
Years of Service
User Offline
Something that was done in 7.5 b5 and up made it so I can't run my exe's in Vista. If I install 7.5 b4 overtop and compile, it works fine.

I am just running the exe on Vista. I am compiling in XP. The exe runs fine on XP.

It doesn't matter what code I compile either, even a do-loop will not run.

I get the error "Dark Basic Pro project has stopped working".

What's in b5 and up that would cause this?
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 01:54
@Scab

Do you still get the problem when using beta 13?

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 02:45
Quote: "What's in b5 and up that would cause this? "

No idea. I use XP and Vista and the exes work fine on both systems on every beta (except for the bugs unrelated to your post). Could you upload a typical exe that works on XP but fails on Vista for you?
Scab
Years of Service
User Offline
It even fails in b13.

Attached is a simple test:

do
print "Not working in Vista"
sync
LOOP

Works fine in Vista using b4 or less.

Attachments

sladeiw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 21:59
I can't test it in vista but your exe definitely works on my XP & Windows 7.
Sepnon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 22:32 Edited at: 18th May 2010 22:33
works here.. vista home basic
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 22:42
Works on Vista Home Premium too.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 23:07
Quote: "Works on Vista Home Premium too."

And here.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 23:23 Edited at: 18th May 2010 23:24
Since there may have been some changes in DLL dependencies related to DirectX between beta builds, just as something else to try, run the web installer for DX here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Then try the app again.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 11:17 Edited at: 20th May 2010 18:15
Odd one this, if you make so that the sticky keys message box comes up by pressing the shiftkey and then press cancel, the editor functions keys get swicthed off, repeat the above and the function key work again.

can anyone else repeat this to confirm this.

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2010 22:33 Edited at: 26th May 2010 00:46
I downloaded the U7.5 extras and I didn't see the ODE source in there, are you still going to release the source and if you are can I have it?

Edit: Just noticed ODE is in google code.

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2010 03:56
Small feature request, not too sure if it's covered! It would be nice to have an option to rename a DBA file on the fly. Picture as per below;

Kinda similar to how a user can rename a sheet when using Excel.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2010 12:18
Quote: "not too sure if it's covered"

It is. Just use the Save As option on the File menu.
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2010 01:40
Quote: "It is. Just use the Save As option on the File menu. "

I thought this thread was for feedback & suggestions on how to improve the software, rather than reply with work arounds.
BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2010 02:17
'Save As' problem with beta13.

Open DBPro, copy and paste some forum code sample into editor
File / Save As - flashes part of a dialog box on the screen
It won't let you 'save as' with a file name, until you try to close
the DBPro editor with the [X] button in the upper right corner of the window.

Windows XP Pro SP2
DBPro beta13
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2010 03:00
BillR

Yes. I have the same problem on XP. It works correctly on Vista though.

Burning Feet Man

I didn't realise it was a workaround till you suggested it was. I use Save As all the time and don't think twice about it.
sladeiw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2010 11:56 Edited at: 25th May 2010 13:19
I can confirm BillR's problem. Open editor, type any code & then try save as. Will not open fileselect window. (XP Pro SP3)

Quote: "I didn't realise it was a workaround till you suggested it was"

If we're being pedantic then save-as would create a duplicate file with a new name, and rename would change the existing file without creating a duplicate.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2010 17:06
Quote: "If we're being pedantic then save-as would create a duplicate file with a new name, and rename would change the existing file without creating a duplicate."

That's what Burning Feet Man meant I guess.
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 04:04
Yup, sladeiw was spot on with that. I think Rename would be used by lots of users.

Regarding the rest of the beta, it's been very stable with what I've been throwing at it lately. Very impressed.
Djmork
Years of Service
User Offline
Try to tunr off "Save modified document on compile" in options, after that i lost some of my .dba files.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 16:12
I cannot seem to get the editor to save a project if I start it this way.

1. open editor with default untitled page.
2. copy and paste code or start from new.
3. run test.
4. decide that code is running and would like to save project.
5. use save all or save project or save as project or save as.

now none in step five do as was expecting, which was to make a project folder and put the code inside the folder, all I get is the code saved but outside in the main project folder.

Plus the solution explorer does not update untitled to save name of code that ends up in [name of code] it title header but not the main name.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 17:00
HowDo

Which beta version are you using, and which operating system?
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 17:15
using 7.5 beta 13 and XP mce sp3.

sladeiw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 18:15
Quote: "Try to tunr off "Save modified document on compile" in options, after that i lost some of my .dba files. "

I think I have had this bug also, but I didn't realize what triggered it. Usually on testing a beta I copy my current dbpro folder to a spare pc, apply the update, and then play with a project. One common include file is the BlueGUI constants and after setting up the editor with my preferred options (which includes turning off the automatic backups) this file was completely deleted. At that point I stopped playing because deleting a file is definitely a show-stopper! I'll try the same steps on spare pc tomorrow and check if it gives the same behaviour.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 20:33
When i try and change "Fonts and Colours" it crashes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:40:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:40:16