I have a few to add to the pile, sorry if I repeat anyone.
1. Code insert buttons (like bold or the proposed YouTube or Soundcloud buttons) should insert the code at the cursor position in the text box rather than at the end.
2. Code snippets should have "SELECT ALL" or "COPY ALL" button.
3. For code snippets I prefer the layout of sites like Stack Exchange
where code is displayed in a box of a fixed dimension and if it exceeds the boundaries the box becomes scrollable. If code was changed to this format our current code snippets could be used as Handy's off-topic/spoiler boxes.
4. When uploading a file it would be nice to have the link for it as soon as it's uploaded so that we can insert the link into our posts (for images mainly)
5. It would be nice if there were some kind of upload tagging system so that each user could manage their uploads: copy links, delete files, sort their files into groups. This could be implemented within the current structure, all we'd need is to link the address of the uploaded file with the person who uploaded it, then their profile can act as a shortcut to view, download or delete the file; organizing files into groups or fake directories applies the same principle. Numerous times I have uploaded duplicate files because I couldn't find the original. It would be nice to be able to send people to my images or my code files if I've uploaded something relevant.
6. Tidy up the emoties. It would be nice if the bar had "pages" we can flick through and click on an emoticon, the current system is a bit tacked on.
7. Search box should be at the top of the page.
8. I made a stylesheet for the site with a hovering navbar. Of course it's a bit buggy but I find it a great improvement for browsing the forums. Try it out
and see what you think.
Quote: "How about making the go to new post button take you to the last post if there are no new posts, rather than an error giving you the choice to go back to the start of the thread or the main page.
how about an option to vote posts as helpful or some kind of thumbs up thumbs down system like youtube.
+1 For both those ideas.
how about a facebook like button for threads to share interesting topics with non TGC people."
We already have that. Look for the facebook icon in the top right of each post.
Quote: "how about the option for an OP to unlock their own thread if it has been locked simply for inactivity "
I don't see why threads are locked from inactivity at all
. What is the problem with bringing up an old topic if it becomes relevant again?
X. One thing to help custom stylesheet makers would be to give IDs to things like buttons, that way we can change their images and whatnot.