Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] EAI Weapon Media Update (56k Warning)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Underside,

Quote: "I am beggining to think my 2D art course was a waste of time and money."

As with any form of instructional learning, It really depends on what your willing to take away from it. If you were expecting to be handed a bag of magic tricks, then it might not have been worth the money. The only thing I really took away from mine was the importance of craft and some other round and about things that were never explicitly taught. Maybe that's why I dropped out

Anyhow, I end up making tons of revisions going back and forth between the game and photoshop to get things looking how I want. It also helps that I use a LCD with 1000:1 contrast ratio which is excellent for pixel pushing. One of the things I'm fighting with now is undesirable color-drop when saving maps to DXT1 compression. At 24 bit uncompressed (what is shown in the screens in this thread) things look just a bit nicer than they do compressed. But the download would be huge for a pack with full 24 and 32 bpp textures, so I've gotta do what I gotta do.

Quote: "I am interested on how you do those animations, is it just simple joints or do you attach the entire guns and hands to a skeleton rig or something? Also what program do you use?"

Using 3DS for animations and exporting with pandasoft exporter.
Both hands are fully rigged and vertex weighted to a custom skeleton that I built. There's a pictorial of the rig on my forum and a video of it on youtube and filefront. The guns themselves use simple hierarchy animations.
If you want similar capabilities without the cost of Max, I'd recommend XSI. The ModTool version is free and more suitable for people trying to get into the industry than other modelers such as wings, milkshape, etc.

Quote: "I haven't had enough experience out of Art School, never gone for commercial game development, not "qualified" enough lol"

I had no experience when I started either. I actually learned to model on the job and how to do proper textures for game art. I thought I was pretty good in photoshop before that but I learned otherwise soon enough. If anything you're probably just in the wrong city ... or country to get into the industry. If anyone is actually serious about getting in, they need to move to Southern California and be willing to be paid poverty-level wages as a junior artist or to work in a test department at any of the dozens of studios down there.

Smitho & Cheese Cake, glad you guys like the zombie hands. There's also some fun attack animations that go along with them

Duplex, I'm glad you like them! I was afraid they'd be too weird but I liked them so...

vorconan, thanks. The sounds are all hooked up. Nothing too fantastic but I think comparable to what FPSC users are used to. I would have liked to do more but most options were not attractive to me in the sense of requiring sizable investment or further delay.

mastercheif 193, don't worry about it. They're quite different other than being black with exposed fingers.

Anyhow, start saving your pennies now. Release is not too far away. I'm just fixing odd bugs here and there that popped up in build game.
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 04:39
Wow cant wait!
I'll be surely buying this one!

I already have tons of ideas how i could use them ingame.

Uhm just one question, maybe its already been answered if so then sory.
But will this be an official model pack?
mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 07:16 Edited at: 19th Jul 2007 07:18
Quote: "If anyone is actually serious about getting in, they need to move to Southern California"

Well at least I have a head start.

Hey Errant what happend to your website? I looked under your profile and the site isn't there.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey Errant what happend to your website? "

The PHBB forum is still there, I just pulled the link down for now. It's been getting loads of spam accounts and not much of any human use other than for PMs, lately. I got tired of deleting fake accounts, so I'm now defaulting new accounts to inactive and only activating users I recognise from these boards. Need to do some research to find another forum host that's a little better at fending off spiders and so on. I'd ask for someone to help me moderate it but that would be like asking someone to tend a cropless garden.

I'm actually surprised anyone noticed the link was gone. It's still possible to sign up but I can't say what the future of those boards will be. Anyhow, for now, it's gone undeground.
xZATANx
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome, but when is release and what is the cost???
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 13:12
Quote: "vorconan, thanks. The sounds are all hooked up. Nothing too fantastic but I think comparable to what FPSC users are used to. I would have liked to do more but most options were not attractive to me in the sense of requiring sizable investment or further delay."

Good good, so the pack isn't that far away from being finished then i guess? Can't wait for it, keep up the good work.

Duva X 4
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 00:44
I am so buying this pack, Keep up the good work

A's 4 Life
zniper monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 19:24
That's great. I'll be buying it.

I'm a noob and proud of it!!! GRRRR!!!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 02:28
I still think you should sell it for $1000 per piece. Including bolts, bullets, muzzles, ect. lol...

Vote today and play the games!
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 02:59
Thats a bit cheap isn't it? I'd say $2000 min.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 04:22
Ya but then we'd see 1000 new games with them and probably 9/10 wouldn't be of high standard

Anyways, the main problem I see is getting everything else to match the quality

That C++ Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Anyways, the main problem I see is getting everything else to match the quality "

Hmmm. Maybe EAI should only sell to experienced users?
J/K

They will probably be overused, just look at MP6. I'm actually getting tired of everyone using the same exact weapon sets for every single game.

I'll probably get one of my co-workers to model some guns for me to use.
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 15:27
End of the day people, Errant will not only want to make as much money as possible! Put yourself in his position;
You are a freelance 3D artist (with as much skill as he has), and you need money as anyone would. You have created some of the best artwork for FPSC.. ever.

Why would you sell to a certain group of people? You wouldnt.

Luciferia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 18:06
Besides who cares if noobs overuse them. around 0.1% of all fpsc games that are started are finished and even less are published. Just sit back and laugh at the noobs who will spend hours after hours making games with these guns, that will never ever be finished.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Just popping in to say that I'm taking some last screenshots and finishing up documentation before I burn everything to disk and send them off for approval. If all goes well, release should be in a matter of weeks.

There will be a little over 30 weapons split up into two packs. For those keeping count, that's a few less than I've shown in this thread (keeping a few for myself, for now). A few of the weapons have alternate .X files included for optional accessories and a couple have animations that can be tweaked to different frame ranges to give a little variety, for those daring enough to try.

I'm going to more or less ignore comments about overuse and noobs and so on. I suppose some amount of backlash is inevitable but for those worried about such things, I've really got to ask the question, who are you making games for? Is your audience limited to people who post on this forum? I hope that's not the case...

There are loads of people who have never even heard of FPSC much less grown tired of seeing this or that media asset. I've tried to include a good variety (at least on the handgun side) and hope to add to the collection over time while maintaining visual continuity with this initial release. As I've progressed on the pack, I've kept in mind a number of different storyline archetypes and progression scenarios. My goal, in that, was to have enough variety in the right spots to avoid too much overlap between the different story and progression schemes. If everyone decides use the same nine or ten weapons, there's not much I can do about that.

Those that have been around a while know I started all this before MPs 5 and 6 were released. I fully appreciate the amount of patience forum members have shown and hope it will have been worth the wait. Enough rambling on already. Thanks again for keeping this thread alive.
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 22:23
Errant AI
If i may ask.
The weapons you are saying that you are keeping for yourself.
Which are they?
Sorry i am just curious.

And so this will be 2 packs? Not 1.

And also if i may and of course if you already decided,
How much will 1 pack cost?
Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 18:35
Hey, EAI, will this pack be exclusive for FPSC and X10 or can I use it on other engines like Torque or Gamestudio?

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Underside, sorry if that seem directed at anyone specific because it was not. I felt a need to address a general vibe that I had become aware of. Lack of sleep tends to make me come across as less even tempered than I actually am.

Cheese Cake, the final list will be released in time. More or less, it's the "joke" weapons that didn't make the cut and a couple of the M4 variants. I hope to release some of the missing weapons as a followup but had to cut them out for this run. Reasons for cutting this or that largely had to do with time constraints. I expect pricing will be what FPSC users are used to paying for most of the official model packs. Expect an official thread, when it's ready, to have the final word.

Trinity Pictures, This release will not be restricted but I will say that it's only been tested in FPSC (and some earlier versions tested in DBP by Airslide). If you can convert the provided .X files to work with Gamespace or TGE (or any other engine) you are making your games in, go for it. Just know that these versions are built to work in FPSC and with the way FPSC blends animations. I hope to release some versions specifically for other platforms that address the needs of those users.
Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 00:06
kewl.

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2007 00:10
Ah okey.
Yeah i was wondering which weapons.

Because i hoped that the sword and the brass knuckles would stay.

Anyway i will be buying this pack, i already have money....
(and now try to keep it, and not spend it on something else)

Hope to see the pack coming out soon!

And good luck on the sales! (I think almost every FPSC user will buy this)
ae_ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
DAMN! ths is looking AMAZING! ... ya i just noticed it ..

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2007 18:43
Quote: "Lack of sleep tends to make me come across as less even tempered than I actually am."

Same here

Quote: "Trinity Pictures, This release will not be restricted but I will say that it's only been tested in FPSC (and some earlier versions tested in DBP by Airslide). If you can convert the provided .X files to work with Gamespace or TGE (or any other engine) you are making your games in, go for it. Just know that these versions are built to work in FPSC and with the way FPSC blends animations.."

I'd like to add that if you use DBP and have tried FPSC weapons in it, these should be just as easy to put in as those. You may have issues with some of the animation blending and such if you don't configure things like FPSC does (see the FPSC source to see more about how FPSC handles weapons).

pidg productions
Years of Service
User Offline
wow i take back what i said earlier its worth so much more that 50$ its worth like 150$.
Luciferia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 22:01
this is too good for page 2.
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 02:05
Glad to see it's nearly out EAI, good to see you took your time with it, it'll make it all the better. I just can't see how someone can be so experienced not to include some weapons that they made, I guess it's for the best though.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 06:50 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2007 06:54
Thanks for the bump, Luciferia. I missed the last round of comments and generally don't like bumping my own thread unless there's something useful to add.

pidg productions & ae_ninja, Thanks. I'm glad you like what you see.

vorconan, I'm not really sure I get what you are saying here but maybe I get the drift:
Quote: "I just can't see how someone can be so experienced not to include some weapons that they made, I guess it's for the best though."

It's sort of status quo (for me) to see some stuff end up on the cutting room floor. There's actually about four or five weapons that never even made it to this thread. Some of those, as well as some of the missing, have been drafted into my next pack. At the end of the day, I felt what I'd chosen to make the final cut made for an attractive and competitive collection. It was important to me to get things wrapped up so that I can make good on some travel plans I'd penciled in at the end of the summer.

Cheese Cake, they'll be in there...

Trinity Pictures , to expand a little on what Airslide said, you'll also want to try and match camera FOV for best results. This is because the models are very WYSIWYG. If something is off-screen, it more than likely was optimised out. Same with certain things such as the animated brass. It something flies off-screen it generally only barely leaves the screen. There's often a bit of behind the scenes stuff going on just beyond the default viewable area. At first I worried that things might not look right in DBP but Airslide's test results were very pleasing to me. He even had some cool bobbling about when on the move that worked really well and none of the illusions seemed to be lost.

Hopefully the assets will arrive soon. They should have arrived by now so I am on pins and needles worrying about the discs getting tied up in customs or some such nonsense. Looking forward to moment I can ask for this thread to be locked. Shouldn't be long now.
jonathan samson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 10:28
These weapons will look nice in X10

j.samson
My beauty it is my sin.
Work in Progress...
shadow651
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2007 21:41
if they work in X10 i think TGC has to do some changes to the model packs so they can work

EAI is this going to be an offical pack? and no one flame me if this has been answered and not interested in looking through 437 posts
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2007 16:22
I may have missed someting in the 400+ posts, but when is this planned for release?

I like random stuff- but I hate watermelons!
Luciferia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2007 17:59
first post code snippet
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2007 19:40 Edited at: 13th Aug 2007 02:38
EDIT.
Mistake.
shadow651
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2007 02:32
not what he said he said it would get locked AFTER the pack came out
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2007 02:38
Oh sorry i looked again and you are right.
My bad.
lynch productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 21:10
its now released as model pack 9 and 10 check the home page!!!

-will

lynch production
Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 21:35
Respect, these packs are awesome.
Some of the handguns like the colt 1911 seem to be a bit thin is my only thing really.
The price is what amazes me really, 20 bucks for one pack is really cheap for this amount of quality.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 21:53
Locked per request. Congratulations on the release.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 01:28:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 01:28:30