Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Synergy Editor - IDE for DarkBasic Professional

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
@John - I sent you a mail with some of the problems I found. You probably have not received it ?

PentiumIV 1.60GHz, 256MB, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB, AC'97, WinXP Pro SP2, DirectX 9.0c (Feb2007), DBPro 6.6b
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2007 18:39
I replied in the last ~20 minutes.

Synergy Editor - Available in the WIP forum
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2007 22:17
Tis looking good John!

Only one thing that's kind of annoying for me is when I go to compile and run my program, exit my program, then the IDE comes back from it's minimized state, the 'output window' somehow doesnt restore itself. I keep having to find it's sizing bar to drag it up from the bottom of the ide to see it again.

Nice job, keep at it!
I do miss the dark color scheme.

Inspirational Music: Descent ][ Soundtrack
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 00:56 Edited at: 6th Nov 2007 01:25
I love this IDE. It is extremely flexible and helpful.

I have one suggestion though:

When you collapse a function, can you have the name of the function visible, instead of just "Function..."? Like, for example, "Function... Load Sprites()"?

Also, in addition to having a to-do section, can there be a notepad section for taking notes?

Thanks!

Your signature has been erased by a bad joke
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 10:22
Quote: "Tis looking good John! "

Quote: "I love this IDE. It is extremely flexible and helpful."

Thanks guys

Quote: "Only one thing that's kind of annoying for me is when I go to compile and run my program, exit my program, then the IDE comes back from it's minimized state, the 'output window' somehow doesnt restore itself. I keep having to find it's sizing bar to drag it up from the bottom of the ide to see it again."

It doesn't minimise in the next release.

Quote: "When you collapse a function, can you have the name of the function visible, instead of just "Function..."? Like, for example, "Function... Load Sprites()"?"

Unfortunately, this is not possible without rewriting large portions of the editor framework I have built upon. I would do this, except that when updates come along my code would break every time. Write a comment above the function name with the name then it's not so bad.

Quote: "Also, in addition to having a to-do section, can there be a notepad section for taking notes?"

Possibly, I think the default IDE lets you do this. I'll see how it stores it in the project file.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, thanks

Also, I noticed that the editor recognizes "Suspend for key" as a for-next loop; It makes one of those collapse buttons to the left of the command.

Your signature has been erased by a bad joke
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 15:05
Quote: "Also, I noticed that the editor recognizes "Suspend for key" as a for-next loop; It makes one of those collapse buttons to the left of the command."

Download the latest version, it fixes this problem.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 18:34 Edited at: 6th Nov 2007 18:38
New download:
* Project comments box for freeform comments
* To Do and Media window now arrange their contents for best fit
* Media window will ask to copy media into your project folder if it isn't there already
* Fixed a slight layout problem in the options window
* Fixed a problem where some of the skins didn't work in the last release
* Synergy Editor no longer minimises on a compile/run
* Remstart..Remend no longer behaves strangely if only a small section of the window needs to be redrawn
* Find in Files dialog
* Code drawing routine improved (thanks to a profiler!)

http://www.digitalzenith.net/synergyeditor/Synergy_Editor_6_Nov_07.rar
or
http://www.digitalzenith.net/synergyeditor/Synergy_Editor_6_Nov_07.zip

I would like to say thanks to Olby and Dazzag for their suggestions and bug reports.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow John that was impressing fast. You not only did fix all those problems I mentioned but had some time to implement even some new stuff. Indeed the editor in its current state is looking very very polished.

As I said I will do a stress test with my project later and see if I can still find something that is not 'right'.

But I might say it looks like a version 1.0 finally.

Cheers,
Olby

PentiumIV 1.60GHz, 256MB, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB, AC'97, WinXP Pro SP2, DirectX 9.0c (Feb2007), DBPro 6.6b
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 22:58
Quote: "Such as? It's a dbpro only editor, so it won't work with.fx files etc."

Most editors I have ever used allow to choose (in the example of a dbp ide), '.dba', '.dbpro', 'all files'.

Also, in my opinion, I should not have to click file->open->dba to open a dba, and file->open->dbpro to open a dbpro. It should just be in the drop down box that's meant to do that.

When you open a file without going to file->open->whatever, (in other words, the folder icon in upper-left of the screen), you can only open '.dba'.

common people are walking in line.

Mitsu Fly Ride.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2007 17:33 Edited at: 9th Nov 2007 19:44
@John - I just noticed that the Replace... dialog does not have an option to replace only in the selected text - it will replace specified string in the whole source file which is quite bad. Oh and if it is possible could you do so that the undo for the Replace... command is only one for whole replaced strings otherwise if the replace dialog replaced hundreds of strings I need to keep pressing undo hundred times to get back where I was before replacing those strings. I hope you understand me.

Regards,
Olby

[Edit]
Another bug I found is that when you haven't saved you project and try to Find in Files... it will still search through old files stored on disk and not through those that I am currently editing in the editor. Basically to use Find in Files... currently you need to save whole project each time you want to do this.

PEH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 03:53
John Y- Could you make it so it reads default media from the folder that the project is in?
Right now the demos won't compile unless I set the dir.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Command Line Arguments are not stored when Synergy Editor is closed thus every time I continue my work I need to enter those again.

I might give you a suggestion to store command line arguments in specific .dbpro file key so that the editor will always read those arguments from the project file.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 21:38
Quote: "Most editors I have ever used allow to choose (in the example of a dbp ide), '.dba', '.dbpro', 'all files'.

Also, in my opinion, I should not have to click file->open->dba to open a dba, and file->open->dbpro to open a dbpro. It should just be in the drop down box that's meant to do that.

When you open a file without going to file->open->whatever, (in other words, the folder icon in upper-left of the screen), you can only open '.dba'."

Done.

Quote: "I just noticed that the Replace... dialog does not have an option to replace only in the selected text - it will replace specified string in the whole source file which is quite bad. Oh and if it is possible could you do so that the undo for the Replace... command is only one for whole replaced strings otherwise if the replace dialog replaced hundreds of strings I need to keep pressing undo hundred times to get back where I was before replacing those strings. I hope you understand me."

Will look into extending the functionality.

Quote: "Another bug I found is that when you haven't saved you project and try to Find in Files... it will still search through old files stored on disk and not through those that I am currently editing in the editor. Basically to use Find in Files... currently you need to save whole project each time you want to do this."

Can you give me some steps to reproduce this?

Quote: "Could you make it so it reads default media from the folder that the project is in?
Right now the demos won't compile unless I set the dir."

You have to manually add media to projects unless the project already contains the media information.

Quote: "Command Line Arguments are not stored when Synergy Editor is closed thus every time I continue my work I need to enter those again.

I might give you a suggestion to store command line arguments in specific .dbpro file key so that the editor will always read those arguments from the project file."

Done.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 22:01 Edited at: 12th Nov 2007 22:02
Quote: "Quote: "Another bug I found is that when you haven't saved you project and try to Find in Files... it will still search through old files stored on disk and not through those that I am currently editing in the editor. Basically to use Find in Files... currently you need to save whole project each time you want to do this."

Can you give me some steps to reproduce this?"

Well basically create a project with a few include files. Then save the whole project - change something in the code and without saving all press Find in Files and search for a string that does not exist anymore in the code editor window (remove something for the purpose of testing). It shouldn't find the string but it will because it will still try to search through files saved to disks not those that are currently in memory (unsaved).

Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 01:47
Love the editor, nice work and thank you.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2007 13:44 Edited at: 14th Nov 2007 13:45
Uploaded an early version of the Help file which describes most of the functionality including some advanced topics such as how to write precompilers.

http://www.digitalzenith.net/synergyeditor/SynergyEditorHelp.chm 1.32Mb

Attachments

Login to view attachments
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2007 13:46
Quote: "
Well basically create a project with a few include files. Then save the whole project - change something in the code and without saving all press Find in Files and search for a string that does not exist anymore in the code editor window (remove something for the purpose of testing). It shouldn't find the string but it will because it will still try to search through files saved to disks not those that are currently in memory (unsaved)."

Ok, fixed.

Quote: "Love the editor, nice work and thank you."

Thanks

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2007 22:53 Edited at: 18th Nov 2007 17:52
It would be nice to allow you to collapse types as well, IMO.

EDIT: And have intellisense on types, if that's possible:
player. (then it shows the intellisense box)

Anyway, I've used BlueIDE for a long time as I like some of the little features in it, and I will continue to use it to write functions. However, to fully incorporate (<- is that how you spell it?) these in my game, there is certainly nothing better than Synergy. I had problems with it in some earlier versions but these seem to be fixed.

Anyway, great work!

Cheers,
Bozzy

"I'm a firm believer that if a team scores one goal, then the other has to score two to win."
gameboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Love the look of the editor, nice job. Thanks for making it available to the community.

I'm running the editor under Vista (32-bit), and the project folders in the Code View window aren't updating to show the names of functions, types, variables, etc.

This problem occurs even when Synergy is run in XP Compatibility mode as an Administrator.

Is anyone else having problems running the Synergy Editor under Vista? Is it not compatible with Vista?
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 09:19
Quote: "Is anyone else having problems running the Synergy Editor under Vista? Is it not compatible with Vista?"
Works fine on mine (Ultimate with Aero on and not admin). I have seen times when older versions of Synergy don't update functions and the like in the code view, but I haven't seen many problems in a while.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
gameboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 10:01 Edited at: 20th Nov 2007 11:03
[Edit] Never mind. Variables don't show up in the global namespace unless they are declared as global variables. Function names are now appearing.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 18:39
Quote: "Is anyone else having problems running the Synergy Editor under Vista? Is it not compatible with Vista?"

It's 100% written in Vista, so no problems there

Quote: "[Edit] Never mind. Variables don't show up in the global namespace unless they are declared as global variables. Function names are now appearing."

Highlighting of variables is clever If you define a variable in a function, then it will only be highlighted in that function. But apart from that it should recognise all variables.

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 21:14
@John Y

Did you get my email?

Is the email in your profile the right one?

Cheers,
Bozzy

"I'm a firm believer that if a team scores one goal, then the other has to score two to win."
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 22:00
Yep, thanks Rich. Bit busy with other things at the moment, but I like the ideas.

When I get some free time it shouldn't be too hard for me to implement the intellisense suggestion.

freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 08:02
How do I get the SynergyEditorHelp.chm file to work? All I get are "This program cannot display the webpage" errors when I try to look at the contents.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 12:47
Double click a .chm file to read it.

This web page lists some problems and solutions (yours included)
http://www.drexplain.com/press/chm-files-the-page-cannot-be-displayed-error/

freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2007 21:36
Yes, it was the
Quote: "A security update for Windows XP® may block access to CHM files
Windows XP® security update blocks active content in CHM files to protect your system security. Additional information is available here.

Solution: Run Windows Explorer, right-click on the CHM file, and select Properties from the popup menu. Click on the Unblock button immediately below the Advanced button on the General page. Click Apply to show the content. Once the CHM file has been unblocked, the Unblock button disappears.
"
problem. This looks like a real advancement. Thanks!

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi John,

I recently bought a new laptop and until this day have not tried to launch DBPro. What I noticed is that if you have not installed DBPro (I run it from external HDD connected to my PC) Synergy keeps resetting compiler path.

It is simply to reproduce if you have not installed DBPro correctly. Just run Synergy. Go to options menu and set the path to the compiler. Everything works lovely programs are compiling and everything works. Then you exit Synergy and when you turn it back on the compiler path is incorrect again. (it goes back to to default "Compiler\DBProCompiler.exe") I guess it always trying to find the registry key for the path and if it is not found revert to default. I guess you need to fix this so that it always sets the path that is stored in Synergy config file otherwise you always have to set the path again.

Other problem I found with the same situation when DBPro is not installed. Every time I launch Synergy I have to rebuild keywords because all words are gray again. But I checked Synergy's folder and it contains keywords cache file but I don't know why every time I run it I should rebuild them again.

I am using Vista by the way and the Synergy works like a charm. The dual core option speeds up the compiler up to like 2-3 seconds for short applications. Now this is really fast. Compared to 20-40 seconds of compilation on my old computer.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Intel Core2Duo T7500 (2.20GHZ), 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB Total, DirectX10, DBPro 6.6b
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2007 13:17 Edited at: 20th Dec 2007 13:18
Quote: "It is simply to reproduce if you have not installed DBPro correctly. Just run Synergy. Go to options menu and set the path to the compiler. Everything works lovely programs are compiling and everything works. Then you exit Synergy and when you turn it back on the compiler path is incorrect again. (it goes back to to default "CompilerDBProCompiler.exe") I guess it always trying to find the registry key for the path and if it is not found revert to default. I guess you need to fix this so that it always sets the path that is stored in Synergy config file otherwise you always have to set the path again."

I've fixed this now.

Updates coming in the next version (soon)
* Faster block matching
* Visual Studio 2008 theme (see screenshot below)
* Faster loading due to framework improvements
* Benefits from using the Visual Studio 2008 C++ compiler (any?)

Attachments

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet, looks very good! [waiting]

ACER Aspire 5920G: Intel Core2Duo T7500 (2.20GHZ), 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB Total, DirectX10, DBPro 6.6b
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 16:05
Is there an option to fold or unfold all?
If there isn't I'd really like that

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 16:11 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2007 16:12
Sure, take a look in the Edit menu

Attachments

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 18:11 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2007 18:12
Ooooooooh! Yeah sorry. I didn't know outlining was the folding/unfolding thing...

Thanks!
And this IDE is great!

Cheers,
SvenB

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Yo, John, when are you planning to release the latest and the greatest version?

JMS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 02:38
Feature request: Can you make it so that when a function is folded instead of the button saying "Function..." it says the name of the function?
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 08:47
Quote: "Can you make it so that when a function is folded instead of the button saying "Function..." it says the name of the function?"
Thats been asked a few times. Apparently the plugin Synergy uses doesn't support that. I find the best solution is to put a remark above the function. Hopefully the plugin will sort this out at some point as it is a fairly obvious omission.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 18:06 Edited at: 24th Dec 2007 18:08
Quote: "Ooooooooh! Yeah sorry. I didn't know outlining was the folding/unfolding thing...

Thanks!
And this IDE is great!"

No problem, thanks

Quote: "Feature request: Can you make it so that when a function is folded instead of the button saying "Function..." it says the name of the function?"

Quote: "Thats been asked a few times. Apparently the plugin Synergy uses doesn't support that. I find the best solution is to put a remark above the function. Hopefully the plugin will sort this out at some point as it is a fairly obvious omission."

Synergy Editor uses a framework to provide the base functionality for the code editor. I have the full source code, and can pretty much see where I would need to make changes. But, if I mess with the core functionality it means that I will upset any future framework upgrades. As any updates in the future (which I do regulary to provide new features e.g. Visual Studio 2008 look) to the framework will overwrite my code, and constantly replacing the code with my own is going to get annoying, and could possibly lead to problems. I will talk to the company that develops the framework to see if we can come up with a solution.

New download 24th Dec 2007
* Visual Studio 2008 look and feel
* Ability to select custom DarkBASIC Professional path
* Improved block folding detection speed (This does the outlining more than 100 times faster for large files. The speed of typing text for large files was increased.)
* Removed custom mouse scrolling code as the framework now supports this natively (no impact to user)
* Toolbar now has new project and file buttons
* Any new benefits from the Visual Studio 2008 compiler (any?)
* Significant performance improvements:
-> * Improved loading time (internal images load faster).
-> * Improved Office 2007-style element painting.
-> * Improved editor performance.
-> * Improved performance of docking control bar and toolbar painting.
-> * Tool tip drawing is much more smooth and faster now.

http://www.digitalzenith.net/synergyeditor/Synergy_Editor_24_Dec_07.rar 1.7Mb
or
http://www.digitalzenith.net/synergyeditor/Synergy_Editor_24_Dec_07.zip 2.4Mb

Synergy Editor - Available for free HERE!
Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 21:39
Is there any chance of that Types (intellisense + folding) and Case/Select (folding)? Sorry to seem impatient lol

Anyway, latest release is, as usual, solid. Great new stuff as well

Cheers,
Bozzy

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2007 23:43
It seems I can't compile any program.
The editor seems to "skip" the entire source code, and compiles an empty file(?)

I get a window that closes immediately at startup...
(I don't have this with the older version.)

My test program:

There doesn't seem to be any mistakes in it

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 01:52
Hmm it does the same for me under my new Vista.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 11:35
Apologies

* Fixed a problem that can cause compilation failure

http://www.digitalzenith.net/synergyeditor/Synergy_Editor_26_Dec_07.rar 1.7Mb
or
http://www.digitalzenith.net/synergyeditor/Synergy_Editor_26_Dec_07.zip 2.4Mb

Quote: "Is there any chance of that Types (intellisense + folding) and Case/Select (folding)? Sorry to seem impatient lol"

Yes, soon

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 11:57
Thanks for the fix... looking forward to the stuff I mentioned

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 13:14
Working like a charm now...

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, works for me now too.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 10:54 Edited at: 27th Dec 2007 10:55
Is it normal that when pressing F5, the DBA file saves automatically? I thought that was a F4 function?
Or maybe it doesn't and the mistakes are all made by me, but the "*" disappears from the DBA title on compile. Pretty inconvenient though...

RalphY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 18:52
Sorry to ask a kinda off topic question, but I was wondering what you were using for the dockable windows? I want to add similar functionality to an app I'm working on at the moment and I thought I'd ask how you achieved it if you don't mind sharing.

Really liking this IDE. Have tried a few IDEs over the years but always returned to the default one for some reason, however I have been using this one for a good few weeks now and don't feel like changing back. Good thing as it was probably only a matter of time until the default one ate my code.

Oh boy! Sleep! That's when I'm a Viking! | Super Nintendo Chalmers!
wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 19:04
problem here

I added some include files into project, saved. After that, I opened file.dbpro again and all include files were twice here, I saved and closed program again and start file.dbpro, now, there are 3 same include files and so on ..

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 19:08
Quote: "Working like a charm now..."

Quote: "Thanks, works for me now too."

Great stuff

Quote: "Is it normal that when pressing F5, the DBA file saves automatically? I thought that was a F4 function?
Or maybe it doesn't and the mistakes are all made by me, but the "*" disappears from the DBA title on compile. Pretty inconvenient though..."

It's how the compilation process works. All of the open documents are saved.

Quote: "Sorry to ask a kinda off topic question, but I was wondering what you were using for the dockable windows? I want to add similar functionality to an app I'm working on at the moment and I thought I'd ask how you achieved it if you don't mind sharing."

I use the BCGSoft MFC framework. However, they have done a deal with Microsoft that will see dockable windows etc come as part of MFC as standard. The application has to be written in C++ with MFC. There are plenty of alternative libraries available.

Quote: "Really liking this IDE. Have tried a few IDEs over the years but always returned to the default one for some reason, however I have been using this one for a good few weeks now and don't feel like changing back. Good thing as it was probably only a matter of time until the default one ate my code. "

Cool, good to hear

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 19:10
Quote: "problem here

I added some include files into project, saved. After that, I opened file.dbpro again and all include files were twice here, I saved and closed program again and start file.dbpro, now, there are 3 same include files and so on .."

Ok, can you send me your files and how they are laid out on your harddisk?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 01:26:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 01:26:32