Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Synergy Editor - IDE for DarkBasic Professional

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 20:48
John Y: Here is

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Panabolic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 02:15
Just downloaded Synergy and it's really nice. Thank you for taking the time to make such a nice IDE availalbe.

~insert whitty comment here~
JMS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 05:48
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but it's annoying none the less. If you have the editor set so that when it opens there is no coding environment and then you click the New button to open up a page, when you try and compile that code it won't compile. You have to create a complete project in order for Synergy to compile a source.

If I didn't explain that very well I can try again .
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 20:48
Quote: "I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but it's annoying none the less. If you have the editor set so that when it opens there is no coding environment and then you click the New button to open up a page, when you try and compile that code it won't compile. You have to create a complete project in order for Synergy to compile a source."

Fixed. It now populates the empty environment with your standard project settings so it can compile and run correctly.

Quote: "Just downloaded Synergy and it's really nice. Thank you for taking the time to make such a nice IDE availalbe."

Thanks.

Synergy Editor - Available for free HERE!
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 20:56
Guys,

If there are any artists out there who are interested in supporting Synergy Editor, then I would like a nice new icon for Synergy Editor instead of a the temporary yellow S one. I would need the standard set of

32 * 32 4bit and 8bit
16 * 16 4bit and 8bit

Thanks

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 23:04 Edited at: 6th Jan 2008 17:13
Quote: "If there are any artists out there who are interested in supporting Synergy Editor, then I would like a nice new icon for Synergy Editor instead of a the temporary yellow S"

Lol, I was too afraid to ask lately..

[edit] How about asking David Gervais? He's really good... And he's a nice guy

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 17:54 Edited at: 6th Jan 2008 17:57
Hi John,

* It looks like Synergy does not add project files to the recently opened files list when you launch them by double clicking on DBPRO file or when you manually drag it over the Synergy.exe or it's shortcut.

* Other problem I have encountered is that sometimes undoing lots of code changes may introduce some problems like missing words or missing letters in the beginning or end of a command. It does not happen always and I guess it is due to code indenting or spaces before or after commands. I don't know whether you can fix this or not. At least you can inform developer of the code editor component about this problem.

Oh and by the way I am using Synergy daily with my projects for like more than 2 months now and I have not encountered any major show stopping bugs in this time period. I must admit that this one of the most finished code editor for DBPro I yet have used. I will do my best to spot as much as possible problems before it hits full version sometime. I hope it will.

Regards,
Olby

ACER Aspire 5920G: Intel Core2Duo T7500 (2.20GHZ), 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB Total, DirectX10, DBPro 6.6b
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 20:12
Quote: "How about asking David Gervais? He's really good... And he's a nice guy"

Whoever, I doubt we need anyone famous.

Quote: "It looks like Synergy does not add project files to the recently opened files list when you launch them by double clicking on DBPRO file or when you manually drag it over the Synergy.exe or it's shortcut."

Fixed.

Quote: "Other problem I have encountered is that sometimes undoing lots of code changes may introduce some problems like missing words or missing letters in the beginning or end of a command. It does not happen always and I guess it is due to code indenting or spaces before or after commands. I don't know whether you can fix this or not. At least you can inform developer of the code editor component about this problem."

Will do. If you can make it reproducible, then it will be fixed.

Quote: "Oh and by the way I am using Synergy daily with my projects for like more than 2 months now and I have not encountered any major show stopping bugs in this time period. I must admit that this one of the most finished code editor for DBPro I yet have used. I will do my best to spot as much as possible problems before it hits full version sometime. I hope it will."

Thanks, warms my heart ! There is no point making it version 1, it would just get me in trouble if someone found a problem

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 16:37
John Y: Have you checked my bug, which I reported few days ago ? with include files .. Its really annoying Thanks

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 17:18
Quote: "John Y: Have you checked my bug, which I reported few days ago ? with include files .. Its really annoying Thanks"

I can't reproduce it. I remember fixing something like it a while ago, can you:

Confirm that you have the latest (26th December 2007) release

Provide reproducible steps that puts Synergy Editor into a state where this happens.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Will do. If you can make it reproducible, then it will be fixed."

Ok, when I will spot Synergy acting strange with undoing again I will try to send that peace of code to you.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Intel Core2Duo T7500 (2.20GHZ), 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB Total, DirectX10, DBPro 6.6b
wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 22:07
John y:
Quote: "Confirm that you have the latest (26th December 2007) release"

Yes, I have downloaded 26th december version of editor (btw: in about editor shows still 24th)

Here are steps to produce a bug:

Make for ex: test.dba, open, and save project to same folder test.dbpro. In folder with project make another folder named "include" and in this folder make inc.dba file. Now, run test.dbpro, and import include file from inc folder, click on save all and close editor. Now, run editor again, and wtf .. included file is twice here click on save all button and close editor again. Run test.dbpro, whoaa, there are tree included files and so on.

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 16:12
John Y : I have found that problem. When you have checked "Open all include files when opening project", include files are loaded two times !

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
In the latest version for December, I seem to have a few issues.
1. How do I associate DBP files to the editor?
2. When I go into options->screen and set it to 1024 X 768 it does not seem to read the ini file correctly and comes up 800 x 600.

Not all is doom and gloom though. I really love the editor. This may seem silly, but one of the features I like most is the way the help files are displayed in a seperate tab. I have never been happy with docking them, because you always have to resize the window to view the file.
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 18:28
Quote: "1. How do I associate DBP files to the editor?"

I rightclicked any DBA file, then selected "open with ...", selected Synergy from the list and checked "Always open this type with this program" (or something like that).

Every DBA file get's the synergy icon afterwards.

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, but if it was that easy I would have done it. When I right click it does not show up in the open with menu.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 00:27 Edited at: 11th Jan 2008 00:48
Is there any way to change the number of spaces for an indentation?

Also is there way to associate .dbpro and .dba files with Synergy after associating them with Codesurge?

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats exactly the same problem I am having. Codesurge has a feature to associate the DBP files. It would be nice to do it with Synergy too.
CoTang
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 09:28 Edited at: 12th Jan 2008 09:34
Beside using the right click mouse button and selecting open with... that file association would be really nice.

Also, I was wondering if you can add a couple feature, these feature I notice are generally used in basic programming.

1. To have the ability to set all syntax to uppercase for better programming format.

2. All the same variables naming should be the same depending on which one was declared first. Hope that makes sense

But aside from those, this is the best editor I used so far. I would totally pay for a editor like this.

Keep up the good work!!
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 12:01
Press "open with..." > "Select from list"
If synergy is not on the list, press the "browse" button right from the "Always use this program to open this type" checkbutton and go to the synergy executable. Open it so it will appear on the program list.
Select it and press "ok" while having "Always use this program to open this type" checked.

Apparently, the "open with ..." button doesn't show up in case of a file without extension or an executable (exe, batch, ...).

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 13:49
To associate DarkBASIC Professional project and source files with Synergy Editor

1). Open Notepad
2). Copy and Paste the code snippet into Notepad

3). Replace 'E:\Source\Synergy Editor\debug\Synergy Editor.exe' with the exact location of Synergy Editor.exe (including the filename)
4). Click File>Save As
5). Save the file with the filename as "Associate.reg" (including the quotes) and the file type as 'All Files'
6). Double click the newly created file

If you run Synergy Editor with administrative permissions it will register the .dba file association for you.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 13:53
Quote: "John Y : I have found that problem. When you have checked "Open all include files when opening project", include files are loaded two times"

Ok, will look at it soon.

Quote: "When I go into options->screen and set it to 1024 X 768 it does not seem to read the ini file correctly and comes up 800 x 600."

Ok, again will get it fixed.

Quote: "Is there any way to change the number of spaces for an indentation?"

Not at the moment, I'll talk to my editor developer.

Quote: "To have the ability to set all syntax to uppercase for better programming format."

Possible, but it would take a long time to implement. Not sure I will have the time to do it.

Quote: "All the same variables naming should be the same depending on which one was declared first. Hope that makes sense"

Already possible in the Semantic Parsing options.

Thanks for all of the positive comments, nice to see people migrating over and making use of the increased stability and feature set compared to the competition.

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sven B, I know how to do that. What I'm saying is I go through the complete routine, (right click,always open with blah, blah) and it still opens with code surge as Gil Galvanti says in his post.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 14:23
Quote: "@Sven B, I know how to do that. What I'm saying is I go through the complete routine, (right click,always open with blah, blah) and it still opens with code surge as Gil Galvanti says in his post."

Try my instructions above, or try moving the CodeSurge executionable and letting Windows ask you what to do.

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks John, that did the trick. Don't know why I did not see your earlier post.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 18:33
Quote: "Press "open with..." > "Select from list"
If synergy is not on the list, press the "browse" button right from the "Always use this program to open this type" checkbutton and go to the synergy executable. Open it so it will appear on the program list.
Select it and press "ok" while having "Always use this program to open this type" checked."

Did that, but strangely, it still opens with Codesurge .

Is there a way to change the number of spaces per tab?

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 18:37
Quote: "Did that, but strangely, it still opens with Codesurge ."

Delete or move the CodeSurge executionable and double click a dba/dbpro file. Windows will then prompt you to chose what to use to open the file, and hopefully remember it. Failing that, try my instructions above. You can edit the registry directly, but I'm not sure how comfortable you are with that.

Quote: "Is there a way to change the number of spaces per tab?"

I answered earlier; not at the moment. But I will look into it.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 18:57 Edited at: 12th Jan 2008 22:16
Quote: "Delete or move the CodeSurge executionable and double click a dba/dbpro file. Windows will then prompt you to chose what to use to open the file, and hopefully remember it. Failing that, try my instructions above. You can edit the registry directly, but I'm not sure how comfortable you are with that."

Ok, thanks, that worked.

Quote: "I answered earlier; not at the moment. But I will look into it."

Gah, sorry, didn't see you answered .

Also, is there a hotkey for redo?

I've come across some annoying bugs. One is that when I rem out a large section of code, I can wave my mouse over the remmed out part and it will change back to normal colors as I pass over it , then if I pass over it again, it will change back to the commented color. Also, it's annoying to have the "Labels" tab open because it seems to randomly refresh and flash . When you click on the code panel that has the labels, it flashes white before allowing you to click on it, and then when you scroll down the list it sometimes flashes back up to the top. It's hard to explain, but it just flashes and seems jumpy a lot. I have over 50 subroutines in the program, btw, so it doesn't do it as much with a small amount of subroutines.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 22:17
Quote: "@Sven B, I know how to do that. What I'm saying is I go through the complete routine, (right click,always open with blah, blah) and it still opens with code surge as Gil Galvanti says in his post."

Sorry, I didn't understand it then .
It worked for me... And I also switched from CodeSurge to Synergy. (CodeSurge doesn't work very well on Vista).
Ah well...

Have you found a new icon yet by the way? :-P

CoTang
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "All the same variables naming should be the same depending on which one was declared first. Hope that makes sense"

Already possible in the Semantic Parsing options.

"

How does the semantic determine which variable to use to define the rest of that same variable to the same case?

Because I have a variable declared at the beginning of my code and the same variable used else where. I tried changing the first declared variable but it automatically changes back to the original. So it looks like I can't change it once its been set. Hope that make sense.
Maybe if it not too hard or take too long, allow the variable case to be the same as the Variable list tree on the code view window. so to change all the same variable name case, you just have to change the name on the tree....I don't know....can that be done? will that be easier?
Anyways, thanks again for answering my request and questions.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2008 13:45 Edited at: 13th Jan 2008 13:46
Quote: "One is that when I rem out a large section of code, I can wave my mouse over the remmed out part and it will change back to normal colors as I pass over it , then if I pass over it again, it will change back to the commented color."

This is because the editor only redraws what is required. If there are large portions of Rem blocks then it will have trouble calculating the area to colour green. How big is your comment block?

Quote: "Also, it's annoying to have the "Labels" tab open because it seems to randomly refresh and flash . When you click on the code panel that has the labels, it flashes white before allowing you to click on it, and then when you scroll down the list it sometimes flashes back up to the top. It's hard to explain, but it just flashes and seems jumpy a lot. I have over 50 subroutines in the program, btw, so it doesn't do it as much with a small amount of subroutines."

I'll have a look at making this more resilient. It refreshes when it gets new information.

Quote: "How does the semantic determine which variable to use to define the rest of that same variable to the same case?"

It looks at your variable definitions e.g.

Global varName

Quote: "Have you found a new icon yet by the way? :-P"

Nope

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 12:22
Quote: "Is there any way to change the number of spaces for an indentation?"

I have the code for this now, and will implement it into the next release.

JMS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 03:11 Edited at: 20th Jan 2008 03:13
Synergy Wishlist
1. Ability to organize ToDo items in folders
2. When a ToDo item is selected it stays selected after you press the “Move Up” or “Move Down” button
3. Option to associate project files with Synergy
4. When functions are folded they say the name of the function instead of “Function…”
5. The preview picture in the media tab should not stretch the image
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 21:00 Edited at: 20th Jan 2008 21:32
Quote: "1. Ability to organize ToDo items in folders"

Possibly in the future.

Quote: "When a ToDo item is selected it stays selected after you press the “Move Up” or “Move Down” button"

Done.

Quote: "3. Option to associate project files with Synergy"

Done.

Quote: "4. When functions are folded they say the name of the function instead of “Function…”"

Not possible at the moment, read a few pages back for a reason

Quote: "5. The preview picture in the media tab should not stretch the image"

Done. If the image is smaller than the window then the image is not stretched. If it is bigger then it is stretched (reduced) to fit.

Quote: "John Y : I have found that problem. When you have checked "Open all include files when opening project", include files are loaded two times"

Fixed.

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2008 11:04
John Y: Iam glad to hear, that the problem is fixed When you release new version ?

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 09:15
Found 1 error! I compile this code:

it runs.. but it doesn't let me input my data -_-! I tired out DBPRO default IDE and it works!

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 17:54
I works fine here.

It wouldn't make sense anyway. Synergy and all other editors use the same compiler, DarkBasic Professional. It shouldn't make any difference with which editor you run it.

Maybe something in your preferences, keyboard numlock, typing mistake, ... ?

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2008 18:52
Oki this is odd! It works on the default ide, but in Synergi or CodeSurge it doesn't work

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2008 21:57
Quote: "John Y: Iam glad to hear, that the problem is fixed When you release new version ? "

I'm very busy at the moment with work. I'm looking to be able to spend some time on it a week on Saturday.

Quote: "Oki this is odd! It works on the default ide, but in Synergi or CodeSurge it doesn't work"

Make sure the project settings are all ok. Do you get an error or it just won't let you input anything?

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 18:48
It doesn't let me input anything

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
@John - Could you please add F11 key like in the default editor that will show up the last viewed help page. Oh and another thing. It would be nice if you could make an option which page to show if the help does not exist for this command or the help page is missing so that it does not show 'Page Cannot Be Found'. You could at least change it to way where it will show DBPro help index instead.

Thanks,
Olby

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, DirectX10, DBPro 6.6b
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 23:52 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2008 00:18
@John - Sorry for double posting but I have found another problem. Open Synergy. Open My Computer. Write make object cube 1,10 and press F1 for help. First of all instead of correct help page menu index will be displayed. But this is not so big problem then the next bug... Now navigate the help. Just click a few links to pretend that you are actually reading help files. Then click on the My Computer in the tray to bring up that window. Go a few folders back and forth in the My Computer window. Now go back to Synergy by clicking the help window. When Synergy is active again. Navigate the help files a bit again. Close the help tab and you will get returned to the code window. But the problem is that after these actions the caret is no more visible. You can still edit the source but without seeing the caret it is real pain as the only way to show it again is to restart the editor or to use it this way for some time until it will randomly appear again. This bug was hard to trace but I finally got it. If you could fix this and the two help file problems I reported - your editor will be quite bug free. Currently I have not hit anymore bugs. Remember that you need to do every step I written correctly otherwise the bug will not appear.

Thanks,
Olby

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, DirectX10, DBPro 6.6b
nnndohh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 17:12
great editor, i like the option to create seperate directory's for your project files like the original darkbasic IDE, and the option to choose from different skins.

only when i run my project, and i end it with the escape key, its kinda slow going back to the editor. everything else is fast
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 13:41
Quote: "only when i run my project, and i end it with the escape key, its kinda slow going back to the editor. everything else is fast"

Turn off the semantic parser and let me know if it speeds things up.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 13:47
Vista Test

To ensure maximum Vista compatibility, I've been working on a system similar to Visual Studio that prevents compile errors due to restrictive permission before they have any chance of occurring.

I've attached an exe for you guys to test out for me. Just extract the zip and then drag files on to the exe from different folders. If you don't have write access to that file then you will get an UAC elevation dialog. The files are not modified in any way, so you can try anything.

The idea is that if you are running as a standard user and try and open a dbpro project under 'Program Files' then you will have to elevate your account or change the exe output path.

Attachments

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 13:49 Edited at: 9th Feb 2008 13:49
Image of what the dialog looks like

Attachments

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 17:09
John, tried your test program in Vista Ultimate and seems to work. Tried moving my own files over it and it accepted them fine (shows the dialog twice though). Moved a windows DLL over it and it asked to restart. Then restarted fine.

Note moving a folder over the test exe gives a permission denied and doesn't do anything at all (even a folder I have access to). Doubt that matters though.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 18:52
Quote: "John, tried your test program in Vista Ultimate and seems to work. Tried moving my own files over it and it accepted them fine (shows the dialog twice though). Moved a windows DLL over it and it asked to restart. Then restarted fine."

Cool. The message box is shown when the program loads (i.e. the command line arguments) and then again after just to confirm the dialog has closed.

Quote: "Note moving a folder over the test exe gives a permission denied and doesn't do anything at all (even a folder I have access to). Doubt that matters though."

Didn't try that. Probably the skeleton program trying to load it

Thanks for trying it. The checks are now part of the Synergy Editor build, although I decided not to implement my fancy dialog. It just asks you in a standard message box so not to scare anyone

Should be able to release the new version this weekend if it passes my bug hunt. There are some subtle changes to how new source document are created, as some people were confused on how it works now.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Should be able to release the new version this weekend if it passes my bug hunt."

Great!

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 18:58
17th February 2008

* Possible to modify number of spaces in a tab
* tab characters are changed into spaces
* media window does not stretch images if they are smaller than the media window
* Projects loaded from the Program Files directory while running as a standard user prompt the elevation dialog
* Example projects can now be directly executed from the help files
* Update dialog does not crash when closed during file downloads
* 404's are not shown on missing help file entries
* to do items remain selected when moved
* Menu options to associate dbpro and dba files with Synergy Editor
* Project explorer no longer creates duplicate entries
* Larger blocks of Remstart and Remend are coloured correctly
* Compiling is faster
* Projects loaded through the command line are now added to the recently opened file list
* New behaviour when creating new source files ensures document is tied to the current project
* Print preview no longer causes application crash

http://www.digitalzenith.net/SynergyEditor/Synergy_Editor_17_Feb_08.zip 2.45Mb

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:59:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:59:05