Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Synergy Editor - IDE for DarkBasic Professional

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 11:39 Edited at: 7th Dec 2008 11:40
Moved to Codesurge, and you are correct, it is infinitely better than Synergy (even when it works) so im not going to move back! Codesurge is much easier too. to find the code explorer or project explorer you dont have to go clicking alot of buttons to find it, all you have to do is move your eyes and your there. It isnt as buggy either.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 15:47 Edited at: 7th Dec 2008 15:49
Synergy still isn't reporting errors . Anyone know how to fix this? Setting "Externalize DLLs" to NO didn't work. If there's no fix I may go back to CodeSurge...

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
There's no fix for this! I would be using Codesurge or BlueIDE 2 (which I helped to develop) too but the problem is that they both do not work correctly under VISTA. So I am left with nothing to work with and my expectations to finish some parts of my engine this weekend failed.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, DirectX10, DBPro 7.1
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 17:06
I'm guessing Vista is why I'm having problems with CodeSurge and BlueIDE as well. Personally, Synergy hasn't let me down and strikes me as very professionally laid out, but this one little thing is very annoying I think I did get codesurge to work awhile ago but it had some issues, and for some reason it seems that certain DLLs don't get included into my EXE without synergy

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 17:11 Edited at: 7th Dec 2008 17:13
Synergy of course has lots of bugs that require ironing like for example problems with indentation and some others but all in all it satisfies me but I see that after signing contract with TGC John lost interest in it which is sad as TGC most probably will not update it quite frequently as John did it before.

[EDIT]

Hey everyone, just saw that John uploaded new version on his site. Grab it here: http://www.digitalzenith.net/synergyeditor/Synergy_Editor_7_Dec_08.zip

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, DirectX10, DBPro 7.1
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 18:11
Sorry about it expiring. This version will expire in about a month, the version after this will not expire.

http://www.digitalzenith.net

Quote: "Synergy still isn't reporting errors . Anyone know how to fix this? Setting "Externalize DLLs" to NO didn't work."

Try running Synergy Editor under the Administrator account.

Quote: "I have a problem - line continuations don't want to work."

Remove the trailing whitespace after the _

Quote: "Folding on anything other than functions is also ignored."

For parsing speed, folding will only work on foldable items that are the only thing on the line.

Quote: "I noticed that when you create a new project you can select a template. However is there any way to save a project as a template?"

Make a new folder called Templates and copy *.dba files into there.

Synergy Editor - Available for free HERE!
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 19:20
Using the tmem and smem commands I get the wrong values when pressing F5 in Synergy, yet when I run the executable by double clicking, the values are correct. The default editor reports correct values when using F5. That said the dmem command reports my display memory as 2287 what ever the ide, which can`t be right, surely?

results;
dmem always 2287
when compiling using the F5 feature in synergy;
smem is 1024
tmem is 1024
when compiling using the F5 feature in standard ide or double clicking the executable;
smem=3209
tmem=4094
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 19:40
There he is! Thanks for the update John.

Inspirational Music: Descent ][ Redbook Audio CD Soundtrack
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 01:39
Hi folks, Please Stop complaining about Synergy, I mean John has done a great job whit it. Anyway there are other's you can chose if you don't like it. For me Synergy its the predilected choice because as a .NET developer i feel more confortable whit The Synergy aperace that resamble Visual Studio. And even Visual Studio has bugs.

Happy Coding to Every One.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 11:42 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 11:47
Quote: "Hi folks, Please Stop complaining about Synergy"

I believe the complaints are warranted. No one is saying John hasn`t done a great job so far. All available ide`s have issues, without complaints issues that can be improved may not get addressed. You may notice that the complaints relating to expiration seem to have prompted the release of an update...again

John Y - Thanks for the update, do you have info on any changes, or is this release purely to account for expiration? I don`t suppose you have made progress with regards to problem of file association conflict with CodeSurge whilst using Vista?
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 17:39
Quote: "And even Visual Studio has bugs."

But Microsoft doesnt put code into their products to make them suddenly expire and not upload an update for a whole day.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2008 02:05 Edited at: 17th Dec 2008 02:36
Today I decided to check out some old code, which failed when I ran it(both through the IDE and just the exe on its own). The error was "Could not create memblock at line x". So I did some tests, as this project had worked before, I assumed that it was U7.1b12. In the default IDE and Synergy I could no longer create memblocks larger than 255mb. Confirmation it was U7.1b12. After a little think, my attention span went, leaving me staring at the screen, noticing that I had right clicked a project and the mouse happened to be hovering over the "open with" option. I have 3 options for dbp - open with Synergy Editor, DBPRO or Dark Basic Proffesional Editor. Now I`ve seen this hundreds of times before - only the DBPRO option(shortcut for Launch.exe) succesfully opens a project in the default IDE(editor update 1.09 creates this option), but on this occasion it took my interest. So I ran with the third option(Editor.exe) and success, memblocks greater than 255mb work just fine. But guess what, I then ran the code I provided in my other post, in each of the three IDE`s - Launch.exe, Editor.exe and Synergy.exe - only to find the false reading of 1024 was now a false reading of 256! Of course no false readings with editor.exe. In short its clear that something is going on here that puts a halt on me using Synergy, and I will be forced to open projects from within the Editor.exe IDE rather than double clicking or using "open with", or I will have to revert back to another version(I`m unsure as of yet which version).

Edit : Problem solved - as DBP does not officially support vista I had compatability mode switched on for XP for one of the default IDE exe`s(did this ages back just in case to all three exe`s) and yesterday I was re-discovering Extends XGUI and so the remaining default IDE exe and Synergy.exe had compatability set for win98 (won`t compile under Vista otherwise), switched them all off and I get memblocks back and tmem works fine now. Sorry for any inconvenience
PEH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2009 02:26
Hey John I was wondering if you knew about a feature that is in the default IDE where if you press control and space after typing part of a command it will give you a list of possible commands. You can then select one and it will complete it for you.
This is very handy if you forgot a command and are too lazy to find it in the help file.
nnndohh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 00:57
i have just reinstalled darkbasic to get rid of the error " Db_program.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. "
i got similair error's in all availible IDE's including synergy.

so i did a reinstall of darkbasic and the problem is solved but synergy keeps giving me " Game.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. "
whats the problem? directx is 9.0c and i'm using windows xp

thank you.
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 05:46
Quote: "a feature that is in the default IDE where if you press control and space after typing part of a command it will give you a list of possible commands. You can then select one and it will complete it for you."

Synergy has Intellisence as an option. Just turn it on under the tools-options-text editor menu option.

Marx Brothers and Dark Basic Professional Forever
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 19:11
Yesterday I installed DBP on my laptop and went through the authorisation process. For some reason doing it through Synergy totally locked the machine up and everything really crawled along without being able to do hardly anything (even the task manager refused to appear). In the end I had to hard reset it. I tried 2 more times with the same result. In the end I used the standard DBP IDE and it worked fine. Went back into Synergy and all was good.

This was on Vista Ultimate 32bit.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 17:28 Edited at: 19th Feb 2009 17:30
19th February 2009

Merge Lee Bambers source code changes into Synergy Editor (he added code to handle some different situations etc)
Removed some resources that are never going to be used
Fixed an issue where 1). Synergy Editor could not correctly read the error output on Vista machines 2). Synergy Editor did not support Vista virtualisation for 64bit Windows
Removed custom temporary folder location, the windows one is now always used
Update window now uses TGC servers
Synergy Editor can now compile projects without needing to save open modified documents
As far as I can see Synergy Editor is fully Windows 7 compatible

http://www.digitalzenith.net/

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 18:21
Can you make it report errors? This is why I dont use Synergy.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 20:11
Seems ok here, except my problem of file associations mentioned above. Managed to fix it though using this http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html
For anyone with same problem;
Select exe and download. Drop it in the same place as the exe you want to correct(my case I had to rename synergy to "synergy" from "codesurge" and rename codesurge from "codesurge1" to "codesurge" and then do this process for both synergy.exe and codesurge.exe).
Once in place right click and select merge. That simple.

Quote: "I've seen this before, it usually happens on Vista. I'll research it and let you know what I find."

As to wether its codesurge or synergy that created this problem remains a mystery, main thing is there is a fix.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 20:33
Quote: "Can you make it report errors? This is why I dont use Synergy."

It's one of the fixed items. What OS do you use?

James H

I think you can configure file associations by doing Start>Default Programs

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 20:36 Edited at: 19th Feb 2009 20:36
I use Windows XP. It just says "syntax error" and points me to the line and doesnt tell me whats wrong with it.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 20:45 Edited at: 19th Feb 2009 21:00
I`ve tried that method, it just refused to play nice. Thanks anyway

edit:
the window with the options available to choose from only provides anything(except for non dbp ide exe`s) with the name codesurge(this was installed prior to synergy) as an available option to choose from; even when I browse and select synergy, the option wont come up(not even in the bottom half of the dropdown view). Only way prior to that reg fix was to rename synergy as codesurge(obviously had to rename codesurge aswell)
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 20:48 Edited at: 19th Feb 2009 20:49
Try enabling comprehensive error reporting.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 00:51
Also, depending on the size of your console output, you may need to scroll up to tell exactly what the error was

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 01:03 Edited at: 20th Feb 2009 01:04
Excellent!!

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 09:27
Excelent. There is a sneaky upgrade here that should enable you to turn off comprehensive error reporting, and just get the concise error message.

http://www.digitalzenith.net/synergyeditor/synergy_editor_20_feb_09.zip

Siddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Dont know if you are aware of this, but if you try to used the CARBON skin, which looks great btw, the close button (top right) disappears.
IE, on the top left of Synergy, which carbon skin, only minimize and fullscreen/windowed buttons exist.

Ive got synergy from Dark Game Studio, but when i go to HELP > UPDATE, it says there are no updates available (ie, "you are up to date") but it clearly doesnt have the new things you have added to this 20 FEB release. Should Dark Game Studio buyers ditch the DBPro release and just use the normal one you are updating here?
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 10:27
Quote: "the close button (top right) disappears."

Well, you're never going to use that, so no problem. Seriously. I'll take a look, what's your OS and do you have a screen shot I can analyse?

Quote: "Should Dark Game Studio buyers ditch the DBPro release and just use the normal one you are updating here?"

It's up to you. Generally my releases will be newer and will have more features.

Siddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Well considering TGC's havent released an update for their "version" since the fist one (Nov 2008), i think ill use the original (ie yours!)

Ill go you one better for that pic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEpvtiQ3tVQ
JosephB
Years of Service
User Offline
John Y,

The editor is great, thanks. I do receive the following error when I try to print or print preview:

"encountered an improper argument"

I am using Windows XP SP3 and the print setup works fine.

Thanks for your help.
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 20:27 Edited at: 20th Feb 2009 20:27
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Synergy Editor supposed to be available for regular DBP users now that DarkGame Studio has been released?

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 20:46
@Siddy

Thanks.

Quote: "The editor is great, thanks. I do receive the following error when I try to print or print preview:

"encountered an improper argument" "

I'll take a look.

Quote: "Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Synergy Editor supposed to be available for regular DBP users now that DarkGame Studio has been released?"

It's always been available to regular users. I believe the main TGC website will be update shortly.

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's always been available to regular users. I believe the main TGC website will be update shortly."

Previously it was only available as a trial which would expire. Is this still the case?

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 22:14
??????????????????????

(see attached)

look what has happened to the compile and run button, the same thing happens on all the buttons when i hover over them.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "[quote]Quote: "It's always been available to regular users. I believe the main TGC website will be update shortly.""

Previously it was only available as a trial which would expire. Is this still the case?[/quote]

No it was and is totally freeware, but to get people updating their versions John made them expire after a couple of months. After it expired you would simply download the latest version to continue working. As far as I see this expiring will be disabled once the Synergy is officially distributed with DBPro.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, DirectX10, DBPro 7.1
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 23:23
I've just started using synergy, and have some bugs/requests:

- Setting it to auto indent when you press enter after an opening of a code block, and setting it to convert tabs to spaces causes problems, because the cursor only moves forward one place, when it needs to move forward 4 to move after the spaces.

- When you set it to automatically add the finishing code line (such as 'endfunction') it does not check if there is already a matching end statement (in this case 'endfunction').

- Should the plugin manager do anything yet?

Looking forward to this (or a version of this) becoming the default IDE (and my debugger being integrated with it)

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2009 18:45 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2009 18:47
Another thing, when a function is collapsed, include the 'function <functionname>(<params> )' text before the collapsed section

Also, keywords are not highlighted if they are followed by a ',' or '.' (which is common in a parameter list for example).

Also, let us have more formatting options when specifying keyword formatting, like bold/underline/italic/etc.

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2009 01:25 Edited at: 4th Mar 2009 01:33
Quote: "But Microsoft doesnt put code into their products to make them suddenly expire and not upload an update for a whole day.
"

not true... ever tried VC Express 2005? that locked you out after a certain day as well (maybe its one of the betas im thinking of...)

of course it didnt take the whole day to download the new one either, lol

also i didnt notice this posted elsewhere, but i just installed Synergy and when compiling, it keeps generating messed up exes... ive checked my directories and everything is set properly. i got no idea what the problem is. winXP btw.

Edit: nevermind just tried compiling in the default editor and same thing... must have a bad install.
Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2009 03:29 Edited at: 4th Mar 2009 03:44
well... i did a reinstall(dbpro) and it worked... however, after compiling and running in synergy, then compiling in the normal ide, i went back to synergy and tried to recompile it again... corrupt exe files. after that i try loading the source from clipboard back into the normal ide... still corrupt exe. seems as tho something is corrupting the compiler. doesnt work again until i reinstall. ive done this 3 times now... same results.

i love the inteface of the new editor but i hope this is a problem that is easily resolved, cause until then im obviously gonna be stuck with the default ide

Edit: also noticed my default ide doesnt work anymore after closing it and tying to reopen it until a reinstall either. out of curiosity... does synergy change any dbpro registry settings? i find it unlikely that the actual compiler is being corrupted. and thanks for your work on synergy too.
General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "not true... ever tried VC Express 2005? that locked you out after a certain day as well (maybe its one of the betas im thinking of...)
"

Actually, That only happens if you dont register within 30 days. Registration is free, You only do it once, Then you write down the key and reuse it whenever.

CPU: AMD X2 6000+ 3.0ghz GFX: NVIDIA BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB OC-550mhz core RAM: 2048mb

Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2009 04:03
back then the betas locked out even if registered but that was after a year or so if i remember correctly. thats why i thought it may have been a beta release. i havent used a beta of the 2008 editions tho so i dont know if it was removed or not
Flying Elvis
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone,

I am new to Dark Basic and am having a problem with this editor. After loading a project and running it with F5, when I exit the editor, it asks me if I want to save the project (didn't make any source code changes). Answering yes or no, it doesn't matter, the .dba file is deleted. I have tried deleting the config. file so it would create a new one, same results. Any ideas?
Flying Elvis
Years of Service
User Offline
As a followup, the .dba file is deleted during the compilation process (F4 or F5). I have tried both the accelerated compilation option turned on and off.

The project compiles fine using the default editor.
aarrowh
Years of Service
User Offline
I've dled the IDE, but I went to test it with a simple 'hello world' program and it wouldn't run. It says it compiled fine, but everytime it would sit for around 10 seconds then say "game.exe has stopped working." and ask me if I wanted to report the problem to Microsoft...

Image thanks goes to AndrewT
Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 19:36
@aarrowh

thats the same problem i am having with it. if you save your source and migrate it back to the default ide does it give you the same problem? what about copying and pasting the code?

in my attempts, i couldnt get the default ide to run anything in the default ide either after trying in synergy. I had to do a reinstall of dbp before i could compile anything. as i said in my previous post, i did this multiple times and still had the same effect. i really hope the kinks get worked out because it seems like a nice ide.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 20:54
aarrowh:

Have you made sure that 'Externalise DLLs' under the 'Properties' column is set to 'No'?

Uechi
Years of Service
User Offline
I must be doing something wrong. The editor flags a line in error but doesn't tell me what the error is. Is there some setting I need to set?
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 00:23
Quote: "I must be doing something wrong. The editor flags a line in error but doesn't tell me what the error is. Is there some setting I need to set? "

Are you using my release or the one with the latest DBP update. If the latter then download my version (see the first post)

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 04:15
Is it possible to make certain things bold/italic/underlined etc, like in the default IDE (the old one) how it makes keywords not oly blue but also bold?

It's nothing major, but it's convenient when you have two colors that are similar (I have functions as a dark yellow and variables as a dark green and they look almost exactly the same) to seperate them.

Swordfight! My cheesy little first game!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147808&b=36
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 16:59
The application has expired again

This seems like a silly thing to do - what does making it expire accomplish? It's the only thing that irritates me about this editor, especially since other editors don't seem to like either my copy of DBP or my project files for some reason so I can't continue work until I get a newer version.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:11:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:11:41