Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Synergy Editor - IDE for DarkBasic Professional

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 20:31
I have been waiting for this! Great job, alot of the little annoyances seem to be worked out. This is an awesome editor John Y, keep it up. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 17:11
Well, I thought it would be solved with this update, but anyway:

Everytime I open a .DBA file directly (double click it so Synergy opens that file) and try to compile it, it gives an error. In the previous versions it just didn't do anything, now it gives a Windows error: "DarkBasic Professional compiler werkt niet meer" which is translated as DarkBasic Professional compiler doesn't work anymore.

Is there any way to fix this?
I'm running on Vista Home Premium.

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 18:03
JMS,

Thanks

Sven B,

Try opening the options window and ensuring that the default values properties grid is filled out. These values are used when you double click a .dba file.

Synergy Editor - Available for free HERE!
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 20:17 Edited at: 18th Feb 2008 20:18
Hotfix - 18th February 2008

* Opening a dba file through the command line correctly loads the default project values

http://www.digitalzenith.net/SynergyEditor/Synergy_Editor_18_Feb_08.zip 2.45Mb

Sven B,
Apologies, the default project values were not loaded when a dba file was opened through the command line. This update should fix this problem.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 20:23
It works like a charm now!

Thanks! This will save me a lot of time (I had to open a new project and browse to the .DBA file every time...).

Very nice work there!

Sven B

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 21:00
Hey John Y, sorry for bothering you again, but I'm having some troubles with the line indent.
Is it possible to remove the automatic spacing? Because the backspace only removes one space at a time, and not the whole tab...

Sven B

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
^ cosign! Same here.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, DirectX10, DBPro 6.6b
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 22:48
Ok, I'll make it an option in the next release. It's looking to be next weekend now.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 13:40 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2008 13:41
23rd February 2008

* New option in options dialog to replace tab characters into (padded) spaces (default is disabled)
* Reordered tab order of options dialog items to flow correctly over new controls

http://www.digitalzenith.net/SynergyEditor/Synergy_Editor_23_Feb_08.zip 2.45Mb

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
The last two builds seem to have introduced a problem, I did not have before.

Sometimes when a program is compiled, when you return to the editor to make changes the F5 key or the compile button no longer works.

I have to save my program and exit out of the editor, when I return everything works as normal. (see attachment)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 15:54
Ok, if you can come up with a repeatable bug report then it will help me find the problem.

Is it always n compiles?
Is it only some projects?
Is it only when you run the project?
etc.

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried it numerous times with the Dec 24 release and every time it worked perfectly.

It happens in all projects and is repeatable, just not every time (if that makes sense). I enter code and hit F5, the program executes like it should. When it returns to the editor I may or may not be able to hit F5 (or go through the menus, everything is faded out in the compile/execute section) again to recompile the code. I have to save the code, exit the editor, reopoen the editor and it works.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 17:19
Hotfix - 23rd February 2008

* Internal compiling flag is reset after compile rather than after compile and execution.

http://www.digitalzenith.net/SynergyEditor/Synergy_Editor_23_Feb_08_b.zip 2.45Mb

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
Man do I wish you could get this kind of service with stuff you pay for.

John, you not only produced a excellent product you give quality service. Just did a quick test, so far it seems to work correctly, I will let you know if I find anything.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 21:27
This is great, I love this editor. Great work

The only problem I have right now (that I'm sure I may be able to fix, but I can't find an option for it) is that when I go to add a new include file it goes to the DBP project directory, however this isn't where my projects are stored. Is it possible to make some sort of option to open the project directory in the save dialog when creating a new include file?

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 23:17 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2008 23:18
doh missed a whole page of posts soory for this post

Inspirational Music: Descent ][ Redbook Audio CD Soundtrack
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 09:25
Well, I have a request for the next update:
Could you please implement an option in "Replace" that replaces only in the selection?
Now, it just has, search next;replace;replace all;cancel buttons and a checkbox for whole word and something with same caps (I'm using a dutch pc so I don't know how it is called in english).
Maybe check for a selection when pressing "Replace all"?

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 17:57 Edited at: 24th Feb 2008 17:59
Quote: "Man do I wish you could get this kind of service with stuff you pay for.

John, you not only produced a excellent product you give quality service. Just did a quick test, so far it seems to work correctly, I will let you know if I find anything."

Quote: "This is great, I love this editor. Great work"

Thanks guys

Quote: "The only problem I have right now (that I'm sure I may be able to fix, but I can't find an option for it) is that when I go to add a new include file it goes to the DBP project directory, however this isn't where my projects are stored. Is it possible to make some sort of option to open the project directory in the save dialog when creating a new include file?
"

It already does that, and I've just tested it with the Face Demo and a project on my desktop. Clicking 'New File' opens the correct directory both times.

Quote: "Well, I have a request for the next update:
Could you please implement an option in "Replace" that replaces only in the selection?
Now, it just has, search next;replace;replace all;cancel buttons and a checkbox for whole word and something with same caps (I'm using a dutch pc so I don't know how it is called in english).
Maybe check for a selection when pressing "Replace all"?"

Implemented, just need to get my beta testers to have a look over it to see if there are any problems.

Attachments

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 17:57 Edited at: 24th Feb 2008 17:58
Find

Replace

Attachments

JMS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 19:01
I am having a problem with the latest releases. Everything works fine the first few times I execute my code, but then seemingly at random, the execute buttons get greyed out. Restarting Synergy makes it go away, but it just comes back again after a few more executes.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 19:37
Quote: "It already does that, and I've just tested it with the Face Demo and a project on my desktop. Clicking 'New File' opens the correct directory both times.
"

Hmm...so either A)I broke something or B) I broke something. Haha....anyways, is there some sort of option or something I may have fiddled with to break that? Hmm...

Well, other than my little misfortune here it's a great editor and runs great under Vista. I love the VS2008 style

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 19:59
Quote: "I am having a problem with the latest releases. Everything works fine the first few times I execute my code, but then seemingly at random, the execute buttons get greyed out. Restarting Synergy makes it go away, but it just comes back again after a few more executes."

Download the hotfix above.

Quote: "Hmm...so either A)I broke something or B) I broke something. Haha....anyways, is there some sort of option or something I may have fiddled with to break that? Hmm...

Well, other than my little misfortune here it's a great editor and runs great under Vista. I love the VS2008 style"

If you tell me the layout of your project I might be able to recreate it. So, you open your project (say C:\airslide\My Project.dbpro) and then click File>New File and it opens the save file dialog in your dbpro projects directory?

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 21:15
24th February 2008
Warning: This release contains a major functionality change in searching and replacing behaviour.

* Custom search and replace code to handle selections of text
* To do up and down arrows are not enabled when the list box is empty

http://www.digitalzenith.net/SynergyEditor/Synergy_Editor_24_Feb_08.zip 2.45Mb

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 16:51
Quote: "If you tell me the layout of your project I might be able to recreate it. So, you open your project (say C:\airslide\My Project.dbpro) and then click File>New File and it opens the save file dialog in your dbpro projects directory?"

The project is kept in C:\Users\User\Projects\Dark Basic Projects\First Person Shooter. All the DBA files are in a sub directory called "include" (including the main dba). I've tried File->New File & right clicking in the solution explorer and creating a new file and they both go to my DBP project directory (which is on an external HDD).

I've gotten around it by placing a shortcut to "Projects" in my Explorer favorites so when the save dialog comes up I can just select it there.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 19:21
I have a bug I think:

I have specified a folder for my temporary projects, (D:\DBP\Temp\) but when I compile a project, it clearly says

"Writing project file C:\Users\Sven\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp.dbpro" which clearly isn't the path I specified.
I noticed this when I copied an image in my default temp folder, and then tried to run it... (error: "Could not load ...")

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
@John - If precompiler fails doing it's job all Compile menu options are grayed out. (even when using the latest hotfix) Only restart will remedy this issue.

Thanks,
Olby

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, DirectX10, DBPro 6.6b
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 13:36
Quote: "I've gotten around it by placing a shortcut to "Projects" in my Explorer favorites so when the save dialog comes up I can just select it there."

I'll have another look over the weekend.

Quote: ""Writing project file C:\Users\Sven\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp.dbpro" which clearly isn't the path I specified.
I noticed this when I copied an image in my default temp folder, and then tried to run it... (error: "Could not load ...")"

Yep, I changed the behaviour to get it working fully in Vista. I'm not sure whether to remove the temporary folder setting and just use the windows temp directory, or keep it.

Quote: "If precompiler fails doing it's job all Compile menu options are grayed out. (even when using the latest hotfix) Only restart will remedy this issue."

Looks like I need to use a different method of checking the status of the compilation tasks. At the moment it sets a compiling flag in the main compiling thread and then resets it at the end. The trouble is that there are 3+ blocking operations (precompiler, compiler and running app) that can potentially crash etc.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 17:04
Quote: "Yep, I changed the behaviour to get it working fully in Vista. I'm not sure whether to remove the temporary folder setting and just use the windows temp directory, or keep it."

Well, I often put some media in my temp folder to test it without having to create a new project.

"Writing project file C:\Users\Sven\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp.dbpro"
is also a directory that doesn't exist on my computer. Not sure if this is relevant since I am able to create exe's on the fly... The correct path starts with C:\Gebruikers\Sven\... (dutch).

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 18:27
Quote: "Well, I often put some media in my temp folder to test it without having to create a new project."

Ok, I'll keep the temp directory in the options and use that instead.

Quote: ""Writing project file C:\Users\Sven\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp.dbpro"
is also a directory that doesn't exist on my computer. Not sure if this is relevant since I am able to create exe's on the fly... The correct path starts with C:\Gebruikers\Sven\... (dutch)."

It's using the temporary path that Windows provides (from the GetTempPath API). Is it actually creating the directory it shows, or using the one that you highlight?

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 21:23
Thanks for keeping the project path!

Well, I guess it doesn't matter that much if it creates or uses a directory.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2008 17:40
Quote: "If precompiler fails doing it's job all Compile menu options are grayed out. (even when using the latest hotfix) Only restart will remedy this issue.
"

What precompiler are you using, can you send me a copy of it?

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2008 18:02
Quote: "The project is kept in C:\Users\User\Projects\Dark Basic Projects\First Person Shooter. All the DBA files are in a sub directory called "include" (including the main dba). I've tried File->New File & right clicking in the solution explorer and creating a new file and they both go to my DBP project directory (which is on an external HDD).

I've gotten around it by placing a shortcut to "Projects" in my Explorer favorites so when the save dialog comes up I can just select it there."

Are you opening the project by double clicking the dbpro file?

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2008 23:07
29th February 2008

* Precompiler and execution code now use WaitForInputIdle before WaitForSingleObject to hopefully reduce compiling problems
* Temporary folder specified in options is now used if it exists and has write permissions instead of always the windows temp dir
* Default open file directory is now set when loading a project/file through command line (e.g. double clicking an associated file)

http://www.digitalzenith.net/SynergyEditor/Synergy_Editor_29_Feb_08.zip 2.45Mb

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 00:56
Quote: "Are you opening the project by double clicking the dbpro file?"

Yes, and I'm guessing that this is fixed in the update you just posted, so I'll try it out

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 12:25
Quote: "Yes, and I'm guessing that this is fixed in the update you just posted, so I'll try it out"

Correct..let me know how it goes.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
I found a critical error! When you enter incorrect number of brackets and press enter it apparently wants to show a warning message box (at least it was like this in previous version) but the box never appears for me here on WinVista. It just locks up and waits until I press the invisible message box. If your work is not saved you will lost it all.

Speaking about the precompilers - I had problems because of the temp directory. Now when it is fixed I will try to use precompiler again. I will report later if I found anything out.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 18:39
1st March 2008

* Semantic Parser thread does not directly create a message box, which crashes the application!

http://www.digitalzenith.net/SynergyEditor/Synergy_Editor_1_March_08.zip 2.45Mb

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Now that was quite fast!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 19:00
It goes to the project directory now, thanks

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2008 13:19 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2008 13:27
Problem. From time to time it wont compile the application. There is no pattern to reproduce this bug easily. Simply maybe 1/10 compiles will not compile when I press F5 - and all compile menu options are grayed out again - like it is compiling but actually it does nothing and the only way the remedy is to restart the editor. And I have not yet turned on any precompilers. So this is not the problem with precompilers.

[Edit]

Another quite irritating problem is that sometimes it will also simply stop compiling the application somewhere in the middle of the process. It does no lock up but it simply will not continue compiling the app. Once again you have to restart the application to compile it again.

And one more. I thought you have fixed problem not storing Command Line Arguments in the DBPRO file. Because now when I have to restart application each ~5th compile and retype command line arguments it gets quite frustrating.

[Edit 2x]

Oh, I forgot to mention that these compiling problems where introduced a few updates ago. Before them everything was fine and better.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2008 15:07 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2008 15:07
Can you turn off the two options as shown in the picture in the options dialog and let me know if it makes a difference.

If it does, turn one off while leaving another off and see if you can find out which is causing the problem.

Attachments

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I configured my editor just like in the picture you posted. Will see if it helps.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2008 15:25
You can ignore my other settings, just disable both options in the red square.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Spotted another one. When you start new project and want to specify location and click on the browse button only Desktop folder is displayed. I am the administrator so this is not the case with user account control.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 13:58
Quote: "Spotted another one. When you start new project and want to specify location and click on the browse button only Desktop folder is displayed. I am the administrator so this is not the case with user account control."

This seems to be a behaviour change in Vista. It looks like the base folder 'Desktop' no longer provides access to 'My Computer'. I'll research it.

How is turning off those features working for you?

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 14:43 Edited at: 5th Mar 2008 14:44
[edit] Sorry, it was my fault and not a bug...

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Well after a solid two day work with those options turned off I came to conclusion that it still SOMETIMES may not run the application after compiling it. As I don't see the progress of compilation no more (after turning off that option) I can wait whole day but the application wont start. Then I go to the compile menu and notice that the all items are grayed out again. So far this is the only problem with those options turned off. As I said before this happens quite rarely like 1 out of 15 compiles, but still it is there. The other bit I noticed is that it sometimes will not start the application (after compiling it) until I click on the Output window (where is the compilation information dumped) then it quickly prints out that the editor is launching the application and the game starts. Once again this happens not so often but happens. I guess you need a complete overhaul of this compile/launching code. I cant give you any tips what is the cause of this as I am not doing anything specific that can broke Synergy.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, DirectX10, DBPro 6.7
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 09:56
I did overhaul the compiler code , it is incredibly tight now, but it seems that this is causing some problems.

I'll roll back to the old code so you can see if that helps this weekend.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 20:55
7th March 2008

* Folder browse dialog is now Vista compatible
* Folder browse dialog automatically selects the default/current path
* Compile code tweaked
* Project command line arguments are now saved and loaded along with the project

http://www.digitalzenith.net/SynergyEditor/Synergy_Editor_7_March_08.zip 2.45Mb

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 23:51
Well, I have a request.

Every update or hotfix, I have to reset every hotkey I use. (CTRL + S, CTRL + R, CTRL + ENTER (toggle outlining), ...)

Could you maybe save them along with the ini file please?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:16:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:16:23