Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Official efxMod Thread [56k Warning]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2008 20:34
Yeh, It does that to me alot.......

I've started to grow tired of this place a little, I'm getting hardly any comments on my game, and very little's been happening lately....

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2008 21:04
Well, with the anticipation of the migration, you can't expect people to be paying much attention to FPSC until it'd done. Usually during these times, people spend the waiting period planning out what they'll be doing with the newest release.

Quote: "what does that have to do with this?"

You were complaining about the slowdown from the water and suggesting people to keep the water above their heads (which would look weird in a level where you're supposed to be able to see the sky ), and I'm merely stating that there's a better way that's been put to use. You wanted to compile a post about how Nighthawk could improve efx, so I'm helping.

If Nighthawk thinks he can pull off a real HDR effect, I wish him the best of luck. Maybe he can come up with a good way to do it, but from what I'm thinking, it wouldn't be very friendly without the Editor's Source. (Again, I've been known to think of some pretty bad methods, so he may come up with something unique)

As a last thought on the matter, to really get good performance out of these techniques, you would need a recent GPU (DX10 compatible most likely) just to make these DX9 workable. In which case, you might as well go the DX10 route anyway and use SM4.0 to speed things up.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 00:55
Quote: "hope you got lots of Easter eggs....
"

I got 3

Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 01:04
works fine for me 1.49

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 01:07
@Nighthawk

I remember a little while back you mentioned camera effects being added as a possible feature, what does this mean exactly? Do you mean like Lens Flare, or like when you go into water the camera will have a watery effect on it when you come out......?

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 01:10
Camera effects mean:

Camera movement for Cutscenes, Camera shakes, Field-of-view changes (e.g. for limited vision effects), etc.
and that water drops thingy is also planned

but Lens Flare.... ugh... don't think so (maybe when we finally implement the sun)

Intel Xeon 3060, Asus Commando, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM, Thermaltake Shark Black, Sapphire Radeon HD2900XT, Samsung Syncmaster 245B 24"
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 02:04
Great! Camera Control, (that's what I know it as) is something I've been eagerly looking forward to in FPSC......

Can't wait for V1.5 then.......

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 03:32
Quote: "(maybe when we finally implement the sun)
"

That would be cool.

Hey, Nighthawk, could you e-mail me? I need to ask you a question.

Click here to see my showcase.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 04:52
Why not email him? I would try his MSN email.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 04:56
Quote: "That is due to the DirectX 9.0 design. It is not designed to run with 5,000 enimies in a single room. DirectX 10, however, is.
It can also be caused by a slow CPU, GPU, or a low amount of RAM. An example is that: A low end DirectX 10 card (Geforce 8400GS) out preformed a mid end DirectX 9.0 card (Radeon X1300) by getting over 25 FPS with 10 enimies in one room, while the DirectX 9.0 card got 12 FPS, so its the design and its strenghts.

But alternitivly, for that problem listed above, its probally because you have a low amount of RAM (with 8GB being high, and 4GB/2GB okay, and 1GB and lower being low) or a slow cpu, or an "outdated gpu""

No fpsc Dx 10 will not run loads of enemies as having 25 in one room, 25 in another 25 in a third, it looks at total in the map, so it says oh 75 enemies, right slow down time, when really its just 25 in view, it doesnt run like that, so real stupid, you should be able to spawn then when you come to them, or shut them of if they are not doing anything, but aparently no, so dx10 fpsc is no better in then, because the total number in the whole map will effect frames, so if you have 150 enemies, with just one enemy in each room, it will still run as if you had 150 all in one room, I dont have dx10 fpsc, but thats what I was told from the thread I made on it.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/
Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 05:07
Quote: "with 8GB being high, and 4GB/2GB okay, and 1GB and lower being low) or a slow cpu, or an "outdated gpu""

What? It's alot more like this. 2-8GB high. 1GB fine. >768 low.

Image made by the overworked Biggadd.
Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 06:47 Edited at: 24th Mar 2008 06:58
Quote: "Why not email him? I would try his MSN email."

Oh dang I'm stupid. Thank.

Edit: Didn't work... Wouldn't go through.

I guess I'll ask here:

Hello,

I was wondering on how I would be able to make a deal with you for using the efxmod for a commercial game. Would I have to make a demo a game - Top secret right now - with the efxmod in order to get your approval on letting this said game being sold with your software?

What would I have to do to get your approval?

Because my team and I - and our game - are depending on the efxmod so we can create this said game.

Thank you for your time,
C.E.O. New Horizon Studios,
Orrion Carn

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 12:22 Edited at: 24th Mar 2008 12:23
Hello

I was also asked by some other users - when efxMod is out of Beta, we will think about that commercial license.
And i'll have to talk to Lee, probably, there will be a small fee for it.
A Demo Game is accepted anytime and maybe enhances chances to get an early Beta/Alpha.

A final, out-of-Beta-Version will be released some time - I can't expect when.

So, if you want to talk to me, hit me up on MSN (maybe you have to create an account) or write me an email.

Best regards,
C.E.O. of Helix Software
Nighthawk

Btw. if you want to contact me, here my updated contact information.
(I'm having problems with sending mails to Yahoo and Hotmail Emailaccounts...)

Email: kevin[at]helixsoftware.eu

Intel Xeon 3060, Asus Commando, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM, Thermaltake Shark Black, Sapphire Radeon HD2900XT, Samsung Syncmaster 245B 24"
Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 23:21
Thank you for the awnser Nighthawk.

But I just can't get what you mean with:

Quote: "A Demo Game is accepted anytime and maybe enhances chances to get an early Beta/Alpha."

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 23:29 Edited at: 24th Mar 2008 23:31
If you send me a game demo of good quality (powered by efxMod of course) you may become a beta tester.

Lennard
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 00:18
Hello Nighthawk, greetings from Estonia !

I just tested out your powerful efx mode for FPSC and it really worked great on my slow old machine.
Some quick specs :
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked @ 2.15ghz
Club 3d Ati Radeon 9600PRO 128mb 128bit 256AGvia bios)
1,5Ghz DDR Ram @ 198mhz

Here are some sweet screenshots what I made in few minutes.

But there is just one bad problem. I am using update version 1.08, all works good execpt sometimes when i walked in the cave the water like changed wierd and glitched. And another problem was with weapons. All weapon moving animations were like bugged. Reloading animation was really fast, and when walking with the weapon the animation was like umm.. not complete. Really wierd

Maybe should i consider trying out 1.07 update ?

Sorry if those bugs are mentioned before, but if these are new for you I can get you a video if needed.

Sorry for not so good English, it's still my second language !

http://makeme.eliit.com
Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 02:14
That would be great, but our game does not begin production for another 9-10 months.

The reason I'm asking is because my team really needs your mod in order for this to be a good - commercial - quality game.

So, by then would the efxmod be avalible for use in commercial games?

Quote: "you may become a beta tester"

And I don't think I would be a good person to become a beta tester. I don't have much scripting knowlege.

Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 02:56
Wait, so we can send you a cool demo level and become a tester (I'm sure it's not that easy, but...)?! Cool, I'll start making a level

"I hope all of you go straight to heaven so I don't have to deal with you again in hell!"
--MeZoFoRtE
Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 13:46
Quote: "all works good execpt sometimes when i walked in the cave the water like changed wierd and glitched"

That's a known bug (to be fixed in 1.5)

Quote: "Reloading animation was really fast, and when walking with the weapon the animation was like umm.. not complete. Really wierd
"

Yeah... also a known bug (and also a bug to be fixed in 1.5)

Quote: "Sorry for not so good English, it's still my second language ! "

No problem, I could understand it without problems (English is my second language, too...)

Quote: "AMD Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked @ 2.15ghz
Club 3d Ati Radeon 9600PRO 128mb 128bit 256AGvia bios)
1,5Ghz DDR Ram @ 198mhz
"

WOW... at a Framerate of 26-29? great!!
(I tested it also on a 9600 and it gave me a baaaaad result... 2-3 FPS )

Lennard
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 15:44
Yeah Nighthawk, it ran pretty nice. I think the area was not that big too and that's why it was with good framerate. Bloom was also turned on.

The framerate with no gun was 27 - 31.
When I picked up the gun fps was 25- 27

Opening the efx mod window, fps was 16-19. With weapon and efx mod window 15-17.

I had water resolution 512 and all settings from the map editor turned highest.

http://makeme.eliit.com
Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 01:59
Quote: "So, by then would the efxmod be avalible for use in commercial games?
"

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 02:50
Orrion Carn, i said the efxMod will maybe available for commercial games when it's out of Beta.
I can't say exactly when, but it is sure not 1.5

sonicreator 2006
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 03:04
Quote: "What? It's alot more like this. 2-8GB high. 1GB fine. >768 low."

Not today... I have 2GB, and I have Room for 8GB, if you have an computer you got last week, it might have 2GB, last year, then about 1 GB, one decade, half a byte. So now, 8GB is pushing it, and 1GB is the new low (for modern games)

and to Fallen One:

It won't slow down by processing the enimies all at once (DX10 is better than that) It simply gives each of them a memmory space (about 1MB is ok today) and increases when that character is called up by the CPU (from 1MB to about... 10MB) Unless you have less than 256MB of Video Ram, then its about 512KB to 5MB and so on. You will notice the more VRAM you have, the less jerkier the characters are (atleast in a new DirectX10 game, theoredicly (did i spell that right?)) So there will be no slowdown, but the AI's quality may be less than if there was only one character in a room.

But anyways, you spawn the enimies, not place them there and wait right? There is a reason for the "spawn" field in the Character Properties, as when the character has not spawned, the GPU, or CPU does not get affected. (THAT WAS A HINT FOR LESS LAG)

and LENNARD, what are your PC's specs? (CPU, GPU, Ram, DX-Version, Opperating System)

from SC

Play the games the masters play: MKZn and 3-B promo

http://www.3bpromo.tk
Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 03:30
Quote: "Orrion Carn, i said the efxMod will maybe available for commercial games when it's out of Beta.
I can't say exactly when, but it is sure not 1.5"

Oops, sorry, I forgot about that post. Sorry...

Lennard
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 07:33
@ Soniccreator

Allready wroted in the previous post but ok here are them again.
I just noticed that my gfx card has also been overclocked about 50mhz gpu and memory, agp is set from bios 256mb.

CPU : AMD Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked @ 2.15ghz, stock was 1,8ghz.
The cpu is shown under system as a amd athlon xp 3200+.

GPU : Club 3d Ati Radeon 9600PRO 128mb 128bit 256agp @ 445mhz gpu and 345mhz memory

DirectX version : 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

RAM : 1,5Ghz DDR Ram @ 198mhz.

Motherboard : Canyon CN-7N0AL based on Chaintech tehnology.
Chipset : nForce Ultra 400.

Windows XP Pro service pack

Can't wait for the coming 1.5 efx

http://makeme.planet.ee
Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 09:29 Edited at: 26th Mar 2008 09:30
So, some new screenshots and an exclusive (german) YouTube InDev Video!

efxMod 1.5 "Phoebe"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg25AaLcYnQ

Special thanks go to Airslide and his beautiful Timer System - we had to modify it, though, but it was such a great basis.
Thank you, Airslide!

http://www.helixsoftware.eu/images/efx/phoebe_indev_ultimate.jpg

http://www.helixsoftware.eu/images/efx/phoebe_indev_bwwp2.jpg

http://www.helixsoftware.eu/images/efx/phoebe_indev_bwwp.jpg

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 12:14 Edited at: 26th Mar 2008 12:16
Let me be the first to say...

I loved the video, you're very good at video editting, I must say.

The water and bloom complimented your test level very nicely, so props for that.

Some questions:

1) How high/low can the water be raised to via the slider?

2) How bright can the bloom be set to?

3) Can the water and bloom be completely turned off (so frame rate is not effected) in this version?

4) Are there alternatives to swimming in your mod? (I.e. Walking underwater, not effected by water at all, etc)

5) Any chance of you implementing motion blur?

6) How come I heard you mentioning Timer based system in the video but not Airslide?

*EDIT* 7) What kind of scripting commands have been added to support your additions? (A list would be helpful)

It's looking good, but I'm still a little skeptical on how well this will be treating the developers.

2 thumbs up. 5 * vid.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 12:27
Looking great. Can't wait for V1.5!

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 13:17 Edited at: 26th Mar 2008 13:39
Quote: "1) How high/low can the water be raised to via the slider?"

From Y=0 to Y=2000, from the bottom of Layer 0 to the Top of Layer 19

Quote: "2) How bright can the bloom be set to?"

1.0, it is a re-written Bloom Shader, now it has some different values (than the previous one)

Quote: "3) Can the water and bloom be completely turned off (so frame rate is not effected) in this version?
"

yup

Quote: "4) Are there alternatives to swimming in your mod? (I.e. Walking underwater, not effected by water at all, etc)"

i don't know what you exactly mean by that but - if you mean some player<->water related things.... yes

Quote: "5) Any chance of you implementing motion blur? "

yup

Quote: "6) How come I heard you mentioning Timer based system in the video but not Airslide? "

I forget to mention him in the video (i was tired - up since almost a day)
So i mentioned him at all the other places... Video Info, Threads, ...

Quote: "7) What kind of scripting commands have been added to support your additions? (A list would be helpful)"

The standard efx Commands (a little bit different from the previous ones, though) and.... well...
we're not finished at the moment, so I can't say what comes up next...
let me surprise you

btw. 'Water Physics' means also 'Water Current' (affecting Player and dyn. Entities)

Lennard
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 15:12
I'm out of words Nighhawk ! The video was just so powerful and really impressive. I did understand a little bit what you were saying there, I got German as third language

Thumbs up for Efx !

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 18:17 Edited at: 26th Mar 2008 18:18
The 'efxPool' - just a short impression of the water physics capabilities of efxMod 1.5

Btw. the "fps#" value is not correct in this screenshot - it ran at 90+ FPS on my machine.

http://www.helixsoftware.eu/images/efx/efxpool.jpg

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 19:23 Edited at: 26th Mar 2008 19:42
WOW!!!!!! Those screenshots look awesome!!! It looks like you guys have water phycics in there now. YEAH!!!

KEEP IT UP!!!

Edit: I saw at the end of the video "alles" "Coming very soon"... What's that mean in German? ALLIES!?!?!?

Lennard
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 19:43
If im not wrong, I think "alles" should mean everything.

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 19:53 Edited at: 26th Mar 2008 19:54
"Und das alles im FPSC X9"

means

"And all that in FPSC X9"

it applies to the features (displayed before that)

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 20:03
Ahh... Ok, thanks for the anwser(I don't know german).

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 20:28
What I really want to see is the ability to have a good number of enemies, thats why Lemur gets the vote for me, it can stick on the screen a whole bunch of enemies, It would be interesting to compare both on standard frame rates as well, thats where fpsc runs badly, at present, fpsc standard is just not a viable tool, from what I see of Lemur, it seems they may of corrected this, id be interested to see where efx goes, is it playable, or just more effects, you see fpsc standard has glaring errors in playability, this is why I am not developing for it till these are fixed, because if these are not fixed you just cannot make a game with it.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 23:14
Quote: "btw. 'Water Physics' means also 'Water Current' (affecting Player and dyn. Entities)"

Glad to see my idea rubbed off on you.

Quote: "i don't know what you exactly mean by that but - if you mean some player<->water related things"

What I mean, is like... is the player forced to swim in the water or can you turn it off, or maybe even have the player walk through the water, making them slower, jump higher, that sorta thing... kinda what I had implemented in Lemur.

Don't get me wrong here, though. I'm not comparing your mod to Lemur. I'm just saying that I put those features in because I loved the way they gave more to the gameplay, and I'd like to see that in your mod as well.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 00:11
Quote: "I'm just saying that I put those features in because I loved the way they gave more to the gameplay, and I'd like to see that in your mod as well."

Ummm... okay

What we got now... just go to
http://helixsoftware.blogspot.com

I have to sleep now - i'm so tired of the last 2 days...

m man
Years of Service
User Offline
is there going to be beta testers cause I would love to beta test
Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 00:38
We have fixed beta testers - sorry, but if we want new ones, we choose them ourselves

the public betas of efxMod are Betatests - and all Downloaders/Users are betatesters

at the moment, 1.5 is a closed-beta and only accessible by a big part of the german FPSC Community.

m man
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "at the moment, 1.5 is a closed-beta and only accessible by a big part of the german FPSC Community."

K, just wanted ask cause it looks so good
sonicreator 2006
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 02:53
can i pls be a betatester, i would love to give feedback (in german if it makes it easier)

ARE you going have motionblur on v.1.5, that would be AWSOM!!

Play the games the masters play: MKZn and 3-B promo

http://www.3bpromo.tk
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 04:56
Nighthawk - How'd you end up modifying the timer system? I hope you didn't rely on messing with the stfps value, tracking down the real problem would be the best approach. It's rather odd, I'm pretty sure it's linked to multiple cameras but really it makes no sense.

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 14:55 Edited at: 27th Mar 2008 15:03
Quote: "Nighthawk - How'd you end up modifying the timer system? I hope you didn't rely on messing with the stfps value, tracking down the real problem would be the best approach. It's rather odd, I'm pretty sure it's linked to multiple cameras but really it makes no sense."

I tested a lot, i think it has something to do with the interpolation values, i think - and the multiple cameras, too.

(We had some real strange problems with DBPro while recoding the efxMod...)

I still didn't really found out what's causing it, but well...

Quote: "can i pls be a betatester, i would love to give feedback (in german if it makes it easier)"

Please stop that Betatest-Requests, we choose the betatesters ourselves. Sorry.

EDIT:

and yes, we try to get a real Motion Blur without too much performance loss

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 20:30
Quote: "really it makes no sense."

Since when has anything made sense in DBP?

Quote: "we try to get a real Motion Blur without too much performance loss"

Sounds good, I'll be looking forward to it.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 20:51
Quote: "Since when has anything made sense in DBP?"

Since "Lee Bamber" is "Blame Beer" by twisting the letters...

Currently, i'm trying to find a formula for calculating the best "stfps" value for the timing system... I think I'm near it

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2008 21:24
Well everything looks really nice. Just add a little more shader support and ragdoll, and we've got X10 in x9.

Oh, and 500th post =]

-AaronG

8800 640mb GTS, 4gb RAM, 500gb HDD, Vista Home Premium, 3 Dual Panel Casing Fans
Rick123
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just add a little more shader support and ragdoll, and we've got X10 in x9."

Don't forget that Dark AI needs to be added as well.
BMB
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Since "Lee Bamber" is "Blame Beer" by twisting the letters..."

lol Wow that was cleaver.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 04:53
Yeah, I had a good laugh at that, too.

It's okay, though. Spell check tries to correct "Plystire" to "Plastered".

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 09:28:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 09:28:31