Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Official efxMod Thread [56k Warning]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 18:32
Well, I think efxMod is the future.
Thanks to the Airmod implementation (timer-based movement), it really rocks!

Jeff

You're the 'th to view this signature!
Black Terror
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 22:27
Actually it isn't the future. Look at Crytek.

This is the past being updated with more modern features.

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 22:42
No look at life! yes real life you little goblins that are hiding in you're dark, damp cramp caves!!!

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 04:27 Edited at: 6th May 2008 04:27
@LT Tatters:

Funny you should say that... my motto for video games has always been "If I wanted the best possible and most realistic graphics, then I'd walk outside. Give something that I CAN'T get in real life."

The one and only,

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 17:22
Quote: "Actually it isn't the future. Look at Crytek."

I mean the future of FPSC...

You're the 'th to view this signature!
Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 23:10
i liked some of the effects from hl2:ep2 they really nailed the wet cave look, and the vorts look awesome

anyway...efxmod is the future of FPSC, and urlforce is currently writing his FPSC life suicide note

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 23:16
Nope steve aint wrighting that note, he just lost his fitness with his work, He looks like he's moving onto C++ aswell as helping IONGFX with dark faction II, not too sure...

Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2008 00:01
yeah, he did well, he probably didnt have the time and nighthawk beat him to releasing water effects, shame cause i liked it while it was top of the league

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2008 00:31
Quote: "nighthawk beat him to releasing water effects"

Lemur Dev Team and what they ACTUALLY did:

Urlforce - Animated Menu background, MP Additions
Airslide - Timer Based movement, weapon upgrades
Plystire - Bloom and Water Effects/Physics, MP Additions, Script Additions

Urlforce did not make Water. He did not make Lemur. He was a developer for Lemur and the one who came up with the name. Please get it right.

Nighthawk did beat us to Water Effects, but we beat him to Water Physics. No, we didn't release it. The Lemur team slowed to a halt due to miscommunications and lack of syncing up the source on a timely basis. It's not because it didn't work or that we couldn't release it. After a while we all realised the flaws to the system and decided against having it go public. But for the sake of not having it called vapourware, Urlforce wanted to get it released anyway without any support or bug fixes of any kind. That's just his programmer nature. We all have it.

My programmer nature is to be recognised for doing something. This especially comes into play when someone else is creditted for what I've done. So, for ....... sake, get it right.

The one and only,

Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2008 19:25
didnt know, thanks for informing us, ive never seen your credit, i just know your an ace scripter

no i do... well done on the water, itlooks great, it just never got released, butlets just give it a rest now ok?

ocho

Evan Moore
Years of Service
User Offline
It loads the Game Creators little splash, and then a black screen and thats it. I have to exit and everything. Anyone else know how to fix it?
g0LDjUnGe
Years of Service
User Offline
nice work helix! everything runs fine!

but i have a question, how can i change the quality mode in a builed game ??
Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2008 10:25
Whoa! This thread vanished.....
Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 12:35
Okay, more or less, I just want to bump the thread, but there are some News I want to share with you.

A new update is in the works, v1.54c.

We're fixing some Decal Bugs at the moment and again optimizing the shader management of efxMod.

The reason why I post this: I'm on a school trip for one week, starting on Monday. So I won't have any time for coding stuff.

So, please remember: efx ist not dead - we're still working on efxMod Classic and there will be an update very soon.

Nighthawk.

Intel Xeon 3350 Quad@2,67GHz, Asus Commando, 2GB RAM, Thermaltake Shark, Sapphire Radeon HD2900XT, Samsung Syncmaster 245B 24"
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 13:15
Good to hear, good luck with this, and have fun on your school trip, going anywhere fun?

I have returned, after 28 days of exile, fear me!
Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 13:34
Thanks,
we'll be going to Berlin, our capital city. (I must admit, I've never been there before... )

Intel Xeon 3350 Quad@2,67GHz, Asus Commando, 2GB RAM, Thermaltake Shark, Sapphire Radeon HD2900XT, Samsung Syncmaster 245B 24"
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 14:01
Lo, well I've never been to London, wouldn't want to though, just chavs and idiots there......

I have returned, after 28 days of exile, fear me!
Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 19:10
Hey, Nighthawk, if you every get the chance, could you e-mail me... I've got some bad news for you...

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I just got this newest version and Its coming on great, works well and hardly any issues and speed great.

Still has the see the outside reflection if you get to close to the outside walls but this is only if the water level is pretty low now but issue still needs to be fixed but you can work around it.

THe speed was very good and kept at 50 to 70 fps without bloom and ran at 25 to 30 fps with bloom but no slow down in play.

This has come on a long way and is looking great cant wait for the next release.

Best s4

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2008 01:36
Quote: "THe speed was very good and kept at 50 to 70 fps without bloom and ran at 25 to 30 fps with bloom but no slow down in play."

So my timing system was working well? Awesome I was a little skeptical about certain framerate ranges regarding ODE, tends to do funny things...

Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2008 14:40
Quote: "I've never been to London, wouldn't want to though, just chavs and idiots there"

heh, well said

Quote: "if you every get the chance, could you e-mail me... I've got some bad news for you..."

OMG WERE DOOMED

GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 30th May 2008 14:19
I know that I said what I was gone, but it is urgent! My efx mod crashes when I load test game at loading map data. Please help!
GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 31st May 2008 01:09
Fixed with re-installed update and efx. Is there a way to save the changes you make, i'd like the script commands please. Also, I can't use and model pack weapons for some reason, why is this? thx
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 31st May 2008 12:16
just remember the values you entered then when you build the game there will be an .ini file that you will need to edit with notepad and enter those values

Soldier of Fortune Episode 1
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 06:03
Damn, I hate it when two people post with the same avatar.

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 17:21 Edited at: 1st Jun 2008 17:22

efxMod 1.54 Classic Release

So, here it is.

Short Changelog:

- Recoded/Replaced most AirMod code parts
- Fixed Decal Animation Bug
- Fixed QualityLevel Bug that causes Decal Bugs
- Fixed various Major Bugs
- Fixed various Camera Angle bugs
- [1.54] Fixed various language and GUI bugs from 1.53->1.54
- Added new Bloom shader, featuring passes from 2 to 8 [2,3,4,5,6,7,8 - default: 3]
- Added Multilanguagesupport [EN,DE,FR] [thanks to Clément Martinerie for his FR translation]
- Added multiple new script commands
- Added/Improved Cleanup Routine
- Added early support for moving of dynamic lights
- Improved Overall Performance
- Improved GUI Performance

Please read the readme for more details.

Download is available at http://efx.helixsoftware.eu, as always.

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 17:24
Brilliant work Nighthawk!
I'll give it a whirl and then shoot out my thoughts.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 17:36
Quote: "- Improved Overall Performance
- Improved GUI Performance"

Excellent, I'll give this a run and tell you how it goes......

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 18:03
Rooms dont appear, and i gives you a runtime error if you try to load floors. Not a great start.

Formerly Bum Fat Cheese
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 18:06
I never got these errors aaagreen.
Also jamies, i trie to recreate on ot you're scenes from izolis, and It came out beutifull, I'll post a screen soon.

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 18:09 Edited at: 1st Jun 2008 18:13
Please provide Screenshots, Error Codes, Map Data/Screenshots, etc.

This never happened in the tests before, and we've more than 10 testers with FPSC versions from 1.07 to 1.08/1.09 (btw. 1.09 is rather incompatible to efxMod)

Probably, you're using 1.09 or even 1.10
If so, you should read carefully the readme and info texts the next time, because I wrote explicitly that you should use efxMod with 1.07 and not 1.08/1.09/...

As always... 98% of all bugs/errors take place 60cm in front of the monitor...

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 18:18
im using 1:09 too.

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 18:19 Edited at: 1st Jun 2008 18:20
I've tried v.101 and v.107

Formerly Bum Fat Cheese
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 18:28
Okay, a full fpsc reinstall worked.

Formerly Bum Fat Cheese
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 18:33 Edited at: 1st Jun 2008 19:13
Quote: "I never got these errors aaagreen.
Also jamies, i trie to recreate on ot you're scenes from izolis, and It came out beutifull, I'll post a screen soon."

Please,I was considering this mod, but a cobo of my PC's crappiness and Ply's Mod's gameplay prospects just puled me away from turning Izolis into a shiny-ness fest.....

I'll try this now, and see how it goes, I miss my shiny, single-room, 10 fps levels.....

-=EDIT=-

Ok....I've just tried this out, now her's the low-down of how it went on my PC:

Performance:

THe framerate was a bit higher, (3-5fps), so it looked better, and the TBFPS seems to be integrated better, I think it did quite well here compared to earlier versions...

Bloom:

As always, this looked very pretty, but when I started playing around with the settings, it started to warp the level around the light, "crinkle" effects were showing up on segments....

Water:

Looked good, I had a small room with a scatering of entities, they floated in the water quite realistically, as did I, but playing with water refraction and reflection colours dyed the whole level, and not just the water. Also, setting things like Fresnel and Speed warped the level like the Bloom did....

General:

Entity collision for static entities seemed to have bee removed, I laid a metal grill over a whole in the middle of my room so I'd have a little pol under the room full of water, sadly, I fell through it and out of the level, but after I got about 1 segment under the lowest part of my level, gravity disappeared, and I was free to float around my level and the rotation was uncapped so I had fun running around upside-down......

Also, when I spawned at the start, I fell out of the level, and landed on the bottom and subsequently died, but I didnt respawn and was still able to walk around, go upside-down, etc, etc, whch was weird, but when I crouched, I was respawned. Also, the weapons still go crazy when you open the settings GUI, not a particularly urgent bug but still annoying....

Conclusion:

Right, I've given you all the info from my test, I'm not sure just how much of it is down to my PC, or how much is down to your mod. It looked very good before I changed the Bloom and Water settings, so that part of the mod is good. Also, water physics is good so that's another gold star for EFX.

Beautiful as this mod is, it still contains alot of bugs which I've already mentioned, I think if you got rid of these though, then EFX would be an excellently good-looking mod...

-=EDIT 2=-

Was unable to get scrrenies, sorry, the F12 ket wasn't working for some reason. Oh, and system specs too:

Covernant
Years of Service
User Offline
You implemented airmod 0.6?
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Im liking this mod a lot, to start I wasn't to sure but its all coming together now and looking good.

Will def test it out.

Best s4

Sodex Coming soon
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 04:21
Quote: "As always... 98% of all bugs/errors take place 60cm in front of the monitor..."

Lmao, how right you are.

Isn't that commonly referred to as an "Organic Error"? Or even MORE commonly referred to as a "User Error"?

The one and only,

Leaning Objects To The Side
Years of Service
User Offline
Nighthawk
Quote: "Brilliant work Nighthawk!"
as always! one word AWESOME!! thanks for the download..keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Tanya.
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 08:58
Quote: "As always... 98% of all bugs/errors take place 60cm in front of the monitor..."
You have a 3D monitor? ...

[img]
[/img] Official Airmod fanboy. Member of the Airlside fan club
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 11:03
Lol. Slayer, did you get my email?

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 17:40
Quote: "Recoded/Replaced most AirMod code parts"

Dare I ask what this means? I hope you mean the timing system, and even then can't imagine what was wrong with it once the animation problem was fixed.

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 19:29 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2008 19:45
I found out there were so much problems with the timer system and some modifications you made - there are still Airmod Parts in it and the AirMod 0.5 compatibility is still there - but I just re-did things like the timing system. I fixed the Decal Animation Problem and problems between Airmod and the efxMod Shader System this way.

we weren't talking about anything the last few months/weeks... let's meet in MSN

I would like to integrate Airmod 0.6 if it is finished, but if I understood it the right way, you removed the Timing System.
And that's the reason why I'm doing my own solution - if that's not correct, please contact me as fast as you can - I've got some questions and also ideas to share.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 20:33 Edited at: 4th Jun 2008 00:05
Astek

Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 20:40
And that's why you can disable all efxShaders and still get features like a (non refractive/reflective) water surface, without performance loss, with features like timing system, weapon modifications, ...

Sorry, but I also have to say: you should NOT use the efxMod with a low-end system (I expect you are a low-end PC user).

We tested efxMod on mid-class systems and it works pretty good.

I don't see any problems - if you read all infos (especially the standard FPSC Recommended PC Specification!) you'd know that.

So... what are your PC specs if you get such a low framerate?

Please don't say you're using a 8400 or a Radeon 9000 Series (or comparable GPU) graphics card... if so, you just ignored any infos mentioned in the Readme, on the Website and in this thread.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 20:53 Edited at: 4th Jun 2008 00:05
Astek:

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a ATI 9500 and that worked fine with 1.52
Also 900th Post!

Was cool kid
Nighthawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 22:46 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2008 22:48
Quote: "I have an ATI 800"

There's no graphics card by ATi with such a name...

do you mean Radeon 9800? Radeon X800? Radeon X1800? or even the old Radeon 8000?
Usually, there are also codes like LE, SE, GT/GS, XT, Pro, etc.

So, what graphic cards chip is it, the GPU
I mean exactly

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2008 23:46 Edited at: 4th Jun 2008 00:06
:Astek

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 01:14
Quote: "Lol. Slayer, did you get my email?"
Check the EOT thread. I've dropped all mods for now, but if Airmod 0.6 is integrated, I may be forced to get V1.07 and give it a whirl

ASTEK: Your PC doesn't sound very good at all I bet. Not only is the D3 engine way better than the FPSC one, it's also really old. 2003 or something? The CPU is also a huge issue with FPSC, you'd probably want around 2Ghz or more with this mod and 1.5Ghz normally. I'm talking new CPU's too, not Dual core, but defiantly not P4. In any case, my experience with AMD and ATI has not been good. They tend to make lower quality hardware and drivers.

These days, my PC is "mid-range". I'll admit it. Most people have trouble admitting that their PC is getting old, but mine was never a gaming one to start with.

GPU: Nvidia 7800GT 256MB
CPU: AMD 64 Athlon 2.4Ghz
2GB of RAM: 1 X 1GB, 2 X 512MB
Hard-drive: 200GB
PSU: 300W

As you can see, my PC is lacking in many departments and is 2 series outdated now GPU-wise. Also my PSU is under the 400W recommendation for my GPU. In every way average and maybe even a bit worse due to instabilities. I got 70+ FPS at all times, except when I made big levels (always have this problem though). or cranked up the graphics to the max.
Slayer_2

[img]
[/img] Official Airmod fanboy. Member of the Airlside fan club

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 11:20:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 11:20:23