Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] EAI 2008 W.I.P. (56k warning)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 16:50
Quote: "They expect things to be either free or cost around 2 cent/ 1p. "

Exactly, I could call them leachers, but dont want to hurt there "free feelings".

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 17:32 Edited at: 17th May 2008 19:57
Quote: "You really do charge a lot, dont you?"

Quote: "You should see what bond charges... "

Errant's rate turns out to be almost EXACTLY my rate, for a 5 day project. If you assume an 8 hour work day, then his comes out to be just a bit higher. It all evens out in the end.

But this is a bit uncouth to be discussing rates on a public forum. It's hard sometimes for kids to get their head around this, but for some people this is their JOB. How would your mom or dad feel if they went to work for 5 days and their employer wanted to just pay them $100 for an entire week of work? How would they pay for food, a home, utilities, a car.....all these things cost way more than a copy of FPSC

Custom stuff is always going to be WAY more than "pack" stuff, because packs can be sold over and over, custom stuff is sold only once...

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Exactly, I could call them leachers, but dont want to hurt there "free feelings"."

Correction Tatters. Leachers are people who expect someone to MAKE them a model for Free or 1p. People you describe are merely people who think for their money. I mean you wouldn't want to pay £3 for a cube would you?

We are the cost of a world gone wrong.
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 18:58
Quote: "My rate is USD $275 per day. One day minimum, 50% up-front for custom work. I am booked up/busy through the summer though."
And how long does it take to make a good quality gun? 10, 11 days? I can understand why, but I can't see anyone here paying that. A professional company, sure, but grunts like us... And all you people whining about others whining, tell me that you'd pay that for your FPSC game and I won't even beleive you. I might go on an LOL spree though.
Slayer_2

[img]
[/img] Official Airmod fanboy. Member of the Airlside fan club
Black Terror
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 19:03
Yeah, I guess both of you charge a similar price, depending on how fast each of you work. Just out of curiosity, Bond and Errant, what modeling programs do you use?

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 19:05
I understand Errant's position. I made a custom weapon model for someone for $100, 50% up-front. It took me one month. I live in England so I only got about £40. I would prefer to make a pack of weapons and sell them over and over again. Errant's weapon models would never look out of place in any commercial game which means he has every right to charge that much. Having commercial history on his CV is another reason.

By they way Errant, lovin' the M249 machine gun. Let's hope Airslide adds depleting ammo to Airmod.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 19:11
Quote: "£3 for a cube would you?"

Depends on how many vertexes that cube has, 10 on each side, then yes.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just out of curiosity, Bond and Errant, what modeling programs do you use?"

I'm pretty sure we both use 3ds Max. Since I'm more into characters, I also use Mudbox quite a bit to get more organic looking fleshy type surfaces for my high poly models.

I just re-read my post above, and it comes off as a little snobbish, that wasn't my intention. Now back to the topic on hand, Errant's awesome weapons.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
Woolfman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 19:37 Edited at: 17th May 2008 23:19
Not one bit bond1. I think you explained it very well.

Edit: Nevermind
Cornett Media
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 19:38
Quote: " I can understand why, but I can't see anyone here paying that. A professional company, sure, but grunts like us... "

For the record, some of us are trying to start up companies for this kind of stuff, and given EAI's background, $275 would be worth the price. Yeah, a gun might take 10-11 days...if you're basing off of one that currently exists and you're on a time crunch. If you're wanting a more original weapon, that's going to change some things up.

A true professional is going to take the time to make sure that every detail is as good as it can get. Don't tell me anyone who plays GTA4 would be upset about the delays now, knowing that Rockstar made that much of an effort to make it THE best game they could.

Another thing you gotta consider; most bigger-name companies have more than one person working on their media at any given time. Fletcher, Bond, and EAI are one-man teams in their own rights, so things are going to take quite a bit longer for them to develop, as they're the concept artists, modelers, texture artists, riggers, and testers all in one body. As such, a higher price is kinda necessary, especially if there's a 50/50 chance the media they design for a client might not even be used in the final game, if it's even released. Let's face reality here; for every GTA or Runescape, there's always going to be five other games like it that could have been great hits but turned out to be vaporware.

The bottom line, at least for me, is that if I had the resources some of the bigger names did, trust I'd be going to all three and a few others with some ideas. For now, I'm using what's available through the TGC store and the MPs that I've already got. If the model's of good quality, I'll pay the charge. And considering the textures and custom animations that go into Bond's and EAI's works, they're really shortchanging themselves in the TGC store, in my opinion. EAI's weapons and Bond's characters alone could easily go for $10 a piece and still be considered a bargain.

Gemstone Games is now Cornett Media
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 20:01
If it was a cube with a good texture, then yes. If I needed it.
Quote: "Correction Tatters. Leachers are people who expect someone to MAKE them a model for Free or 1p. People you describe are merely people who think for their money. I mean you wouldn't want to pay £3 for a cube would you?
"

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You really do charge a lot, dont you?"

I don't think so. If anything, not enough. If you look around places like Turbosquid, you'll find most artists (who list rates)asking $300-350 USD/day.

Quote: "But this is a bit uncouth to be discussing rates on a public forum."

Possibly. And I had some reservations before posting anything but I suppose having lived in L.A. for so many years has dulled any such taboo for me. Frankly, I get bored doing the email dance that usually ends as soon as I am able to give an accurate quote.

Quote: "Custom stuff is always going to be WAY more than "pack" stuff, because packs can be sold over and over, custom stuff is sold only once..."

Exactly! I'm still waiting to break-even on MPs 9/10 LOL

Quote: "And how long does it take to make a good quality gun? 10, 11 days? I can understand why, but I can't see anyone here paying that. A professional company, sure, but grunts like us... And all you people whining about others whining, tell me that you'd pay that for your FPSC game and I won't even beleive you."

You're time estimate is pretty close as long as I can use semi-stock animations or re-use things. It really depends on what it is or the level of polish. I can't see anyone around here paying that much either. Or I should say I don't see it. Not to me anyhow. Truthfully, I don't like doing custom work that I can't sell. So, I have no incentive to offer a low rate. I like doing stock media because it's like being able to help a lot of people at once. If I just wanted to work steadily on stuff I never got kickback from, I'd go back to the regular industry.

Quote: "Bond and Errant, what modeling programs do you use?"

Google sketch-up and MS Paint

Quote: "Depends on how many vertexes that cube has, 10 on each side, then yes."

LOL! LOL!

@ Opposing force: Thanks for your post. I'll be sure to suggest your services to sticker-shocked developers in the future.

@Cornett Media : Thanks also for your post. You truly know the score. The opportunity help give serious (and otherwise), fresh developers a force-multiplier through commercial quality stock media is a core reason why I am here.

OK So, to lift the mercenary vibe this thread is getting, I want to show you all something new!

This weapon I am donating reseller licensing to Airslide in order to help him promote AirMod as well as test v0.7 functions. I will be retaining copyright but will not be selling it through the GCS. He can choose to sell it on there (or elsewhere) if he chooses. Assuming, of course, AirMod makes it to a proper release.

XM8/AGL
Features AirMod enhancements such as alt fire mode, 3-D scope view, tactical and empty reloading animations, idle-interupt animations and MP9/10 hands.

Pre-render:

In-Game:
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 20:19
Nice.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 20:19
Wow, nice gun! I will definitely be buying airmod once it's done.

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 20:20
[Mod Edit]

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 20:53
lol

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 21:02
I like when you remove the mercenary feel of a thread EAI Can anyone here say "Crysis"? Except a little cooler with the dual drum mag and sci-fi feel. If you made some sci-fi weapons, this would be a great "Marine" weapon for the human marines to use. Looks like Airslide is getting some reimbursement for his great work with Airmod

[img]
Trinity Pictures
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 23:34
Great job EAI! I love the other mp's you made.

Artist/Modellor of Encrypto Studios
Gamers Gear
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 01:10
ah the XM8, developed by the US army and H&K, and was suppose to replace the standard M4A1, but the project was put on hold in mid 2005, and was formally cancelled on October 31, 2005.

One thing you gotta love about the XM8 is it's sporty design,kinda makes it look like you can shoot underwater for some reason.

Great job as usual EAI, Im jealous of your skills, just like the rest of this forum!

Gamers-Gear the only gear you need!
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 01:24
Quote: "Quote: "Depends on how many vertexes that cube has, 10 on each side, then yes."

LOL! LOL!
"

Hey, i like box moddeling.
LOL!

GP PrOdUcTiOnS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 01:29
I dont know if somone already asked this, if they did im sorry but can I please see a video of the melee wepons in use? im planing on buying them so i just would like to see whats up with them. thank you.

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that's just...awesome.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 22:39 Edited at: 18th May 2008 22:44
Thanks for new comments!

Here's a new video showing the semi-final animations for the SAW:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSOvCYl91DI

I'll probably remove/alter the cocking handle animation durring iron-sights firing as it's not realistic. It's not supposed to move but it looks sort of neat and there's that slo-mo scene in BHD which clearly shows it moving but maybe the catch was just broken on the prop gun causing it to slap around a bit. I'm not really sure what to do about it, TBH.

Quote: "cancelled on October 31, 2005."

Yeah, the XM8 was cancelled but it keeps popping up now and then...

Quote: "One thing you gotta love about the XM8 is it's sporty design,kinda makes it look like you can shoot underwater for some reason."

Yeah. The XM8 and FN2000 both look like fish, to me.

Quote: "I dont know if somone already asked this, if they did im sorry but can I please see a video of the melee wepons in use? im planing on buying them so i just would like to see whats up with them. thank you."

I'll try to get videos up for them this week.

Quote: "this would be a great "Marine" weapon for the human marines to use."

Agreed.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
awesome video.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 01:40
Dude, this is insane.

I love it.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 02:22
That was just amazing! The kickback is what topped it all off. TGC would be a fool not to include AirMod in FPSC V2.

Black Terror
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 02:27
They better have recoil. Airmod should consider selling their technology to TGC so they can further develop it.

Adriano jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 02:41
your work is unbelievable... mp9 and 10 are just awesome, and these... they're out of this world! you're improving each second!
definitely get a buy from me.

Adriano jones
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for comments on the video. The M-249 (version A), has been uploaded to GCS and is awaiting approval

It's the first of hopefully many AirMod Enhanced assets to be uploaded to GCS!

There are two anmiation sets for iron sights. The 2nd version, as shown in the video is the default set. For unmodded FPCS, the iron-sight animations can be specified in lieu of the standard animations. It's fairly flexible really. Say, if the user wants to run around in normal view and shoot in iron sight view, they'd need only to specify frameranges for the zoom animations where the standard animations are listed. Ok, that may only make sense to a handfull of people, now that I think about it lol. I can try to explain better if anyone actually cares.

Quote: "Airmod should consider selling their technology to TGC so they can further develop it."

I fully agree that Airmod should be added to V2. There's a certian irony to your statement though.

Quote: "The kickback is what topped it all off. "

I adore the AirMod recoil system. It's very flexible. The default, unaimed recoil is pretty crazy and quite fun. Not only does the point of impact travel upwards but it also zig-zags side-to-side a bit. The recoil is quite high but the aim return is also quite high which results in a teeth-rattling feel without the weapon being uncontrollable in full-auto. The aim actually degrades less than how I am setting up the new assault rifles, which is the way it should be given the weapon is heavier.

For this weapon, I didn't include the zoomaccuracy function (the floaty scope effect in stock FPSC), however, if the user wants this, they can add that function to gunspec.txt and it will be activated when in ironsight mode.
Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2008 22:18
Wow!!! I just saw the new video... LOOKS AMAZING!!!

::noob talk::

dude you totalyy pwn us a11 with your mad weapons!!111!!

::noob talk over::

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 00:40 Edited at: 21st May 2008 01:31
Quote: "It's the first of hopefully many AirMod Enhanced assets to be uploaded to GCS!"
I bought it, worth every cent. The iron sights are so awesome as well, I can't wait to see the MP 10/9 ones. It reminds me of the SAW SSgt Griggs uses. More sniper rifles would be nice if you're open for ideas. A Dragunov or maybe an FN SPR like the one in MP 5. A Barret is meant to be an anti-armor weapon, not an anti-personnel one so it's not the best for FPSC games as there is no real armor Hopefully you make a lot more money selling individual weapons. Good luck,
Slayer_2
P.S. Too bad about the bullets not disappearing off of the belt accordingly I was looking forward to that.

[img]
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 01:31 Edited at: 21st May 2008 01:33
He uploaded the M249!

EDIT: Wow, one weapon is free! Thanks EAI!

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 01:37
I bought it the second I saw it, and gave it five stars. Excellent!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 01:44
Remember, use AirMod to unlock extra functionality You'll get ironsights, lazy gun, recoil and more.

Future versions will (hopefully) also support bullet-hiding, where the visible rounds begin to disappear as your weapon runs out of ammunition. I believe Errant has already setup the gunspec to support this feature (I know the weapon is ready for it) so with any luck when 0.7 is released you'll have instant quality boost for the SAW.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 03:22
Airmod, who isn't using it

Well, I hope to see 0.7 soon then

[img]
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 03:58
Quote: "Airmod, who isn't using it"

I might as well be the only one who isn't. I praise Airslide for his work, and hope that this will be integrated into the x10 Migration, thumbs up, Airslide!
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 04:37 Edited at: 21st May 2008 07:33
Thats only because you are paranoid of every download
Slayer_2
P.S. EAI, I'd really love a standard M4, no attachments at all, with full Airmod compatibility. If you have one that almost done, I'll be lined up at the store if you're willing to get it working

[img]
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 11:34
Yeah, a really stripped-down version. Like the one in COD4 without the grip.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for buying and rating, fellas

Quote: "I believe Errant has already setup the gunspec to support this feature "

Quote: "I was looking forward to that."

Yup. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Quote: "EDIT: Wow, one weapon is free! Thanks EAI!"

Yeah. No problem. It's so basic it's really not worth asking much and I wanted to have at least one freebie. Heh, I think it's just barely the highest rated free item at the moment. Yay.

Quote: "P.S. EAI, I'd really love a standard M4, no attachments at all, with full Airmod compatibility. If you have one that almost done, I'll be lined up at the store if you're willing to get it working"

Quote: "Yeah, a really stripped-down version. Like the one in COD4 without the grip."

It will be a couple months before I can get to M4s. In general, AirMod weapons will be a bit stripped down as a necessity. It's fairly involved as far as needed fixing for compatability goes for the M4s/M16s. I need to re-UV several sections in addition to restoring much of the mesh (that part isn't a big deal) plus re-animating from the ground-up and adding new anims for 0.6 and 0.7 AirMod features. However, whenever it's done, I'm sure it'll be pretty sweet and worth the effort.

The arms set-up I'm using for SCAR/SAW/XM8/new melee has nearly full-length arm mesh, so I can start messing around more with rifles without the front grip. But because M4/M16s have a tube-like forearm, it looks sort of bad not to use the foregrip... The hand isn't high-res enough to get into a really convincing and visually pleasing pose. Really though, you'd be hard pressed to find a combat photo of an M4, from the last 6 or 7 years, without the front grip. I'll see what I can do though.

On a side note. I think I'm finally finished with the baseline anim set for my new autopistol rig (using the deagle to start with). There's over 800 frames of animation now. I think it used to be about 160 or something. Better movement animations, iron sights, multiple reloading animations to choose from, one-handed animations (for Ply's Mod) and a complete empty-state anim set with two kinds of pistol whips.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 16:02
I shot an M4 several years ago when I was at Bragg. The front grip is exactly the same as the M16A2, just shortened up accordingly.

-Keith

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 17:51
So, the M249 has disappearing ammo capabilities? So if Airmod adds that feature, it'll work, right? Even CoD 4 and BF2 don't have that feature.

Quote: "Really though, you'd be hard pressed to find a combat photo of an M4, from the last 6 or 7 years, without the front grip. I'll see what I can do though."
A grip would be fine, but no tactical attachments though. Yes, similar to the CoD 4 one.

Quote: "On a side note. I think I'm finally finished with the baseline anim set for my new autopistol rig (using the deagle to start with). There's over 800 frames of animation now. I think it used to be about 160 or something. Better movement animations, iron sights, multiple reloading animations to choose from, one-handed animations (for Ply's Mod) and a complete empty-state anim set with two kinds of pistol whips."
Wow, awesome! Any chance of the Dessert Eagle being released in the store when you're done? I'd buy MP9, but I only want it's MP5, Deagle and possibly the AKM and M4's. Buying those 4 would give you the same amount of profit in the store as you would probably get in a model pack. You'll keep us posted about new things in your shop, right? And LOL at dualing a Deagle

Pretty much any gun you release is on my to-buy list. But right now I need more points *goes off to spend more money at the TGC store*
Slayer_2

[img]
Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 21:11
just used the trucheon from the store (ITS FREE) have to say, very nice

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 21:51
I got it too. Thanks for the freebie EAI. I'm giving it a new metal texture and if it's cool with Errant, I'll release it here for everyone if I change it enough to my liking.

[img]
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 22:12
@ EAI: I have downloaded your free truncheon, very cool! I'm waiting for my dad to open up a PayPal account so I can start buying!

I have some weapon ideas in a list, you don't have to make them, these are just suggestions:
-HK MP5 (the retractable stock one)
-M60E4 LMG
-Chainsaw
-Double-Barrel Shotgun
-Micro Uzi
-USAS12
-MP7
-IMI Tavor
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""Bond and Errant, what modeling programs do you use?"

Google sketch-up and MS Paint"

I would laugh if some thought you was saying the truth.lol

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 22:53
OMG! you must be pr at ms paint and sketch up, I love you, give me you're Uber l33t skills.
Joke, looks great, I also love the trucheon too.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 09:57
Really looks great Errant!

heltor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 12:19
WOW you do impressive work I want to play with it.
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 13:16
Errant, have you got any tips on modelling hands? Because I just keep going wrong.

Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 21:18
EAI'S WEAPONS PWN! Sorry, had to state the truth there All crazy blurt-outs aside, any ETA on your next weapon Errant? Man, I gotta buy more points so I'm ready for it. I only have 370... again The SAW is awesome, better than CoD4, minus the bullet glitch (which CoD4 has as well), but a little impractical for long-range combat. I hope you're making millions off of this, as it must be way more profitable than a MP. And these have all the yummy new features for Airmod.

[img]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 00:48:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 00:48:41