Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Official Ply's Mod Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 02:45
Erm, ODE is what FPSC already uses. I assume you actually mean DarkPhysics.

As far as I know, DarkPhysics is faster than ODE. Plus, it isn't so much the physics that slow things down as managing the entity's AI routine and whatnot.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2008 02:46
That's what I meant. Thanks for the correction, Airslide.

Gunn3r Games
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Ply:
OK... I've started on a little application for configuration of the database, and I already have quite a bit done. The program currently makes a table for the users with three fields: Username, Password, and Email Address. The DLL, on the other hand is not yet working with DarkBasic because I need to make a few... major... adjustments for it to be converted to native code by DLL_Tool. I have to cut down some code in the DLL, and pass less arguments to the functions, otherwise DLL_Tool gets messed up.

@ Gunn3r:
Weren't you going to add me on MSN so we can talk about the achievement thing? I came up with an idea that might work, provided you know a bit of SQL queries.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 16:20
Yeah. Sorry about that. Got a little sidetracked...
I don't know too terribly much about SQL, but enough to take care of some things.

Gunn3r Games
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 01:22
Update:

Ply's Mod V1.07 has been put on hold until further notice.

I still need to locate a job. I didn't get the last one... the message I got from them was basically that I was "overqualified" for it. Go figure.

Also, until school settles down, I got loads of work to do in there. I mean, geez, I have until next wednesday to finish...... 5 essay papers and a final paper. Good news on that, though: my prof is willing to give me a small time extension on them. (I even told him that I don't HAVE an excuse as to why they're not even started... he didn't care, he just didn't want to see me fail the class for it... man, why can't most profs be like that and actually care about the students? )

So, yeah, that's the deal right now. Lots going on, so until it's all said and done, the mod must be put on hold.

Sorry, guys.

The one and only,

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 06:01 Edited at: 14th Jun 2008 06:02
@ Ply:
If you've got any kind of a programming class, you could show the professor the source of your mod, and I'd bet he might give you some extra credit. I once got extra credit for writing a simple web browser a few years back. It was just built on the web browser control in C#. But I bumped my grade up from an A- to an A, so I was fairly happy.

Anyways, about the job, they were so excited about you before, but they decide against it now... That's dumb.
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 06:19
That's bad to hear, Ply. Take your time, we won't put pressure on you.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2008 23:59
Thanks, guys.

@xyzz:

I don't have programming classes, and even if I did I would have tested out of them to save myself the extra time. I'm going for my Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, so no programming in here.

Yeah, it is dumb that I was over qualified for the last job, but thinking from their stand point it makes sense. I mean, would you rather hire someone who's too good for the job and probably requires more pay? Or would you rather hire someone who fits the job description and requires normal pay? That's about how it is.

The one and only,

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2008 10:40
I'm really sorry to hear about you not getting your job, Ply......

That really sucks......

conmon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 11:32 Edited at: 16th Jun 2008 11:33
Good luck finding a new job, Ply.
I'm really looking forward to your MOD. *American flag flaps in the background* We have waited too long for vehicles and bootylicious third-person-view!

Erhm...
Yeah so anyway, good luck with your job-findingness and uh... stuff... like that...

Good Games = Halo, Doom, Marathon, F.E.A.R., Blood, and Half Life 2!
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2008 19:52
Conmon, I'm sorry I clicked on your Code Snippet.

Quote: "Good luck finding a new job, Ply."

Ditto.

Gunn3r Games
Loyal Servant of The Emperor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 01:17
Quote: "Hey, why'd you click on me?! Yes, people click on Code Snippets, but I'm sleeping right now!
Holy crap, just click on *Code Snippet again so I can FALL ASLEEP AGAIN!"

That was the most random thing I've heard all day!!!!!

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 01:32 Edited at: 21st Jun 2008 06:04
I kinda need to hijack this thread for a sec...

Small Poll:
Please answer only if you are interested in using database stuff with Ply's Mod.

What database things do you have access to, such as MS Access, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc? In addition, what version?

Thanks so much!
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 04:20
MySQL and Access.

Gunn3r Games
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 07:58 Edited at: 21st Jun 2008 07:59
Access and MySQL. gunn3r, I reversed it so you don't think I'm copying you.

In fact I'm using Access in a new program (VB6) I'm writing now.

Do you think we'll ever see a final release of it? I heard the boys in Vegas have made odds on it.

** We are not Alone **
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 08:07
I see how it is...
Xyzz1233, how do you plan on going about this? And can you make it user friendly?

Gunn3r Games
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 10:38
MySQL and Access......

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 18:49 Edited at: 21st Jun 2008 18:54
@ F l a t l a n d e r & Gunn3r:
Don't worry... I'm making it as user friendly as possible. What you do is you just drop a few files into your built game's directory, edit a configuration file (just like setup.ini, but for this) and then use the supplied program to make a "credential DLL" that stores all of your credentials for connecting to the database. The first release will have very limited security, so I don't recommend using it until I implement better security, as it is currently open to SQL injection queries, source inspection with certain programs, and more... Actually, you could pretty much view the source of the program, provided you had the right tools...

EDIT 1: Oh, I forgot. Unfortunately, MySQL support is currently... err... not going to happen. You see, there isn't a free ADO.NET (It's a database thing) provider for MySQL, other than ones that cannot be used commercially, so right now, we've only got Microsoft SQL Server, and Access. However, because ADO.NET is really flexible, adding a new provider for a different type of database is incredibly easy, so if anyone finds an ADO.NET provider for commercial use, please tell me.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 09:53
I am very comfortable with Access. I like MySQL but I'm not crying. And yes ADO is a great way of being able to use a variety of databases. I was self-employed and had clients with SQL server.

As far as ADO, I have only used it with VB6.

** We are not Alone **
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2008 12:35 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2008 00:56

Ermmm...I need help with my game using this mod, I've tried everything, and I think it might be down to my SETUPLEVEL.FPI file, but I can't see the problem with that.......

Basically, I make a map, and save it, then build game, (still happens if I don't save), then I open it up, and the screen is black with that text at the bottom and the watermark, then I get the "Windows Has Encountered an Error and Must Close" thing, and the FPSC-Game.exe file fails.....

I'm stumped, I've cleared out my .bin and .dbo files, I dunno what to do...

-=EDIT=-

I've isolated the problem, it's my variable declaration bit, I can't suss what's up wth it though......

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 02:14 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2008 02:16
So without the code in the "Let's make our global variables" section, and the code dependent on that, everything works fine?
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 02:28
@CG:

Well... it could have something to do with the fact that you're trying to bind the "Adrenaline" variable to a HUD, yet you haven't declared that variable.

The one and only,

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm working away at the database stuff... I just shrank about 200 lines of code down to 63, and with only minimal added attention span to the end user.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2008 08:48
Quote: "
Well... it could have something to do with the fact that you're trying to bind the "Adrenaline" variable to a HUD, yet you haven't declared that variable."

I removed the Adrenaline 'vos I thought it didn't enhance gameplay much, must've forgot to remove the numeric.......

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 07:21 Edited at: 25th Jun 2008 05:33
@ Ply:
I'm almost done with some basics of the database stuff. I should have it done tomorrow or the next day. Right now, it only works with MS Access, as I don't have a way to test with MS SQL. I'll try and get it in, but if it doesn't work, there isn't much I can do until I buckle down and pay for a webhost that has MS SQL Server.

@ F l a t l a n d e r:
I've got... err... sorta mixedish news about MySQL. Apparently there is a MySQL provider for LINQ, a new database access thing built on the .NET Framework 3.5, licensed under the MIT License, which, as far as I understand can be applied to commercial, non open-source products. However, I have yet to learn LINQ, or how this provider works, so it could be a while before we get MySQL in there... There also is another problem. I'm not sure of the exact sizes, but the .NET Framework 3.5 Redistributable and SDK are considerably larger than its .NET 2.0 counterpart. Because use of the database features requires the Redistributable, and creating a game with these features requires that, and the software development kit, using LINQ and .NET 3.5 would take up a considerably larger amount of space then if we were to use 2.0. However, I'm eager to learn LINQ, and get the MySQL support in there, so as long if the developers have a reasonably sized hard drive, and the users have another hundred megabytes or so, everything should be fine.

EDIT: Here's what's on my to-do list for the databases, if anyone is interested:

Add code to prevent users from registering multiple times.
Add ability to check a password against a username.
Finish config utility.
Copy MS Access code over for use with Microsoft SQL Server; add credential DLL code for that.
Put in some kind of security against SQL injection, etc.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 04:03
MySQL would be your best bet here since it is a widely and very commonly used database type.

Take your time with this... I don't know when the next time will come for me to be available for work on my mod.

I do appreciate your willingness to help it prosper, though.

The one and only,

Whosoever says, "Don't sweat the small stuff," is obviously not a programmer.
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
No problem, Ply. Just email me when you want it.

I'm not sure if I've already posted this, but I'm going to say it again. Because of troubles with Inverse P/Invoke, a method of calling managed code like C# from unmanaged native code, like DarkBasic, this program is no longer a DLL, and instead is a program that accepts an input text file and puts out an output text file with the end result of the function. For example, the request text file could look like this:

And the response file would look like this, provided that it didn't result in a failure:

I no longer have the DarkBasic demo, so I can't be sure that DBP has some simple file I/O commands, but I'm assuming it does.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Shame to hear your problems Ply hope you get the time to work on your mod again but real life always comes first.

wish you the best of luck

S4real

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 21:10 Edited at: 25th Jun 2008 21:12
I've got another poll on online-related features for you guys... Here's a list of everything that will be going in, provided that Plystire wants them all:

Usernames for Multiplayer DONE!

Multiplayer Kill/Death Ratio Tracking

See Who is Online

Stuff I'd like to Do, but Not Entirely Sure How:

Singleplayer Achievements (I've got a vague idea on this.)

Call C#, VB.NET, or C++/CLR Code in Scripts (for Gunn3r's Achievements that Update on his Forum) For Example: CallFunction=FunctionName
This one will probably be hard. Because everything in a script is a string, I don't know how to convert that to the name of a function.

Anyone feel free to give my any other ideas. (that are withing reason, of course)
xsygx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 21:15
Well, it's not like you have to prove anything more to us, Ply. You've done an amazing job!
I can comprehend that code and the actions seem new to me. I can assume that $CA means Camera Angle, $EA means Entity Angle, $HD means Horizontal Direction, etc...

Since of course the codes themselves are custom-made specifically for your mod, "modding" looks like the next big thing. FPI is easy enough but making your own codes is unbelievably powerful as you have demonstrated in your videos.

Your ability to balance between your extraordinary project and your life is quite admirable. I know it's difficult but I believe you'll pull through. Hope all goes well.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 22:07
@Xyzz1233, Maybe an entire exportable standings table from each match.
(Have FPSC write the standings to a file and have the file be emailed to the host)

Gunn3r Games
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 22:45 Edited at: 25th Jun 2008 22:46
I was thinking that, but it didn't really get on the list... A whole table would be a bit much for a match, you know, although I can't think of a better way to do it. I just don't want a database overrun with tables. I guess that is the only way to do it...
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 01:39
Thanks, xsygx.

Aside from $HD, you got them right on the money.

@xyzz:

Looks good, if you can pull it off, it'd certainly be a welcome addition.

The one and only,

Little Bill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 09:03
Looking good. Keep it up!

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2008 09:04
Ply, tomorrow, check your email for one sent by me.

Gunn3r Games
zeza
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there an eta on when your mod will be finished?
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 02:49
Ply, how far have you got on with your mod?

If it's alright, would it be possible to release a beta of it, just a taster, I can live with the large vehicle's collision problems......(and whatever other little bugs there might be).....

It'd give us all somethig to mess aroud wit until you're ready to finish it, and it'd help you with feedback on your work so far.....

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 07:11
Alright, in a little bit I may have an alpha version uploaded for people to play with. I'd call it an alpha since some of the features obviously don't work yet.

The one and only,

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 07:25
I rethought sending you that email, so it'll wait for a little bit. Sorry Ply.

Gunn3r Games
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 07:30 Edited at: 28th Jun 2008 07:37
@ Ply:
Sweet! The time has finally arrived!

EDIT: That reminds me... I'm currently pausing development of the database stuff. I'll be back on it in a week or so, but until then, I won't be doing anything.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 08:27
Commencing upload shortly.

Remain on standby.

The one and only,

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 09:16 Edited at: 28th Jun 2008 09:19
Ply's Mod V1.07 Alpha

Alright.... here it finally is.

I did not anticipate how long it would take me to update the ReadMe. About midway I started thinking "Good God, I added a lot of $!%&"

Let me know what everyone thinks, okay?! I put a lot of hard work into this and I want to see some serious gameplay out of you guys using it!!!

NOTE: This is an alpha version! AirMod is not entirely implemented. Only some minor bug fixes from AirMod are included.

@Everyone who had a problem with the auto-reload:

There is no more auto-reloading in this version. I have figured out a way to consolidate ammo between both left and right weapons without requiring the player to reload everytime they pull out a weapon.

@Everyone who loves to dual-wield:

BIG NOTE! The "cannotdual" flag in the gunspec file has now been changed to "candual", so for ALL the weapons you want to dual with, you'll need to add "candual = 1" to their gunspec file.

@Everyone who thought the player should need to pick up TWO weapons in order to dual-wield them together:

Your wish has come true! However, if you want to have weapons that are able to be dual-wielded by only picking up the weapon once, then it is also a possibility!

@Everyone in general:

There have been a lot of fixes made, so be sure to check the Version history in the ReadMe for a quick update. Any additions that require further explanation will prompt you to the appropriate section of the ReadMe.

AND HAVE FUN, DAMMIT!!! LOL

The one and only,

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 10:04 Edited at: 28th Jun 2008 10:28
I'm afraid I have one strike. I am using a level that I had created using v1.06. It crashed when I tried to test right out of the shoot. It might have to do with something in the setuplevel.fpi. Will start checking it out.

Addendum #1:

Or possibly because I am using TGC's v1.11 beta 4 for the map editor. It worked with Ply v1.06 but maybe not v1.07?

Addendum #2:

It looks like it is an incompatibility with TGC's v1.11 beta 4. I went back to Ply V1.06 and it works fine. I won't try testing (obviously) until I reinstall TGC v1.07. There are some more scripting commands I would like to try and would like to check out the cameras.

** We are not Alone **
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 11:20
Quote: "Alright, in a little bit I may have an alpha version uploaded for people to play with. I'd call it an alpha since some of the features obviously don't work yet."

WOOT!

Holy cow, just looked at the Readme, you've added tonnes into this.....

I'm gonna start rolling with implementing this into my game.....

1+1=3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 11:41
i found a bug: when i get in humvee its flys away lol

how do i fix this? good mod though

1+1=3

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 11:49
/\
||
||

Ermmm....I'm not sure what's causing it, lets see your script mate.....

1+1=3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 19:14
I used the one plystire posted here it is:

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 22:09
Ahhh, change all of the keypressed to scancodekeypressed.......

Should work, *fingers crossed*.......

1+1=3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 23:02
thanks ill test it now...

1+1=3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2008 23:12 Edited at: 28th Jun 2008 23:13
nope, didnt work... as soon as i get in the car it floats away with me in it

1+1=3