Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Project Blue Official Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 13:17
Hmm, tried it but it still doesn't seem to work. Thanks for the tip tho Shadowtroid
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So, i've got a weapon script working for the gun, but I want to add this line to the bottom of my weapon script to work with the custom anim"

You forgot the colon in the beginning of the script line, it should be:

The Imperfect Sheep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2010 00:30
omg... how did I miss that?!

Thanks Hockeykid, works perfectly now
veer
Years of Service
User Offline
does anyone has built game with PB

can a 10 level game can be created without error
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2010 02:55
Hmmmm, most I ever tried building was a 4 level game... that was for testing purposes, too... I never actually built a game because I needed to build a game.

Perhaps that is something one/some of our users could test out?
Anyone?

The one and only,

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2010 06:50 Edited at: 25th May 2010 06:52
Quote: "Perhaps that is something one/some of our users could test out?
Anyone?"

We can help you out Plystire. When we bought Project Blue, we have successfully built two projects with 5 levels containing Project Blue. We have attempted a project with more than 5 levels and had issues with the build.

As mentioned in the Migration thread, we have a project that required us to split our levels. Since that project was using RPG mod, we did attempt it with Project Blue, made the modifications for the mod choice and had the same issue- could not successfully build more than 5 levels. Hence, we split our builds. If it was 10 levels, then it was two builds of 5.

We have attempted the same procedure using only stock media, no extra models/model packs, but just the generic FPSC. Made 10 levels and the build was unsuccessful, both using vanilla FPSC and with Project Blue/RPG mod. Splitting it seems to have solved our issue.

- BlackFox

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2010 07:36
Thanks, Blackfox. Would be nice to remove this limitation and allow users to build one solid game of any level count.

The one and only,

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah there does seem to be a limitation on how many levels you can build, the more levels you add fpsc seems to have more problems building them. I also find it depends how big the levels are as well will depend how good fpsc will build them.

Best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu fpsc packer its free.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 19:39
It seems to me that FPSC doesn't flush the memory used from previous levels built before moving on to building the next ones (Iafter all, building each level individually works just fine, so it obviously can't be the levels at fault), and accumulates so much memory that it eventually fails. Perhaps this flaw should be addressed?

The one and only,

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 20:40
A "Blur" full screen shader would be nice (unless of course, it's already possible by modifying the motion blur).

[b]FPSC MIGRATION: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 22:38
Quote: "(unless of course, it's already possible by modifying the motion blur).
"

No, I don't think it is. I've messed with the MB shader, it's directional. As in, in can only blur in one direction. Great for motion blur, not so great for gaussian blur.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2010 00:02
The motion blur shader "smears" the screen in one direction. A proper blur shader is not hard to get working, and I even believe DarkShader has one that comes with it that someone could use.

The one and only,

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2010 07:44
Quote: "A "Blur" full screen shader would be nice (unless of course, it's already possible by modifying the motion blur)."

I could already see that being used. Say a player goes under Dark Hazard's Wasser shader entities, blurs the screen

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2010 07:46
PW Productions: Exactly. I'm currently messing around with the more cinematic aspect of FPSC, taking it in a modern warfare kind of direction (with first person cutscenes) and using Project Blue I've managed to create some really cool scenes using the first person camera. A blur full screen shader would be ideal.

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2010 14:09
However Ply, it's kinda sad (I think anyway) that you cannot use them in conjunction...

...Maybe when Hockeykid gets back from the Migration he can add support for multiple screen shaders? Or isn't that already in V117?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2010 20:21
Quote: " It seems to me that FPSC doesn't flush the memory used from previous levels built before moving on to building the next ones (Iafter all, building each level individually works just fine, so it obviously can't be the levels at fault), and accumulates so much memory that it eventually fails. Perhaps this flaw should be addressed"

I have 8 GB of ram. It fails regardless of how large or complex the levels are. I have been able to build 5 levels but more often than not it will fail on level 5. A long ways off from the 50 levels as advertised.

I even tried restarting and shutting down the computer. So, I can't figure what Lee did to his newer compiler. The older compiler back in the days of yore, I was able to build 12 to 20 levels and not all of them were small and simple.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 05:49
But remember, Terry, Lee put the cap in with a predetermined cutoff line. Apparently after reaching a certain capacity, it crashes...... harder? Lol, I dunno, that's just what I heard.

The one and only,

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 19:39
Hockeykid, could you consider adding the following commands? They're simple but could be used in so many different ways:

goto=X (X is an entity name - will move the entity to this entity)
setvar=var $RANDOM 10 (Will set a variable to a random number between 1 and the number specified).
movefore=X (Although this command is already present, it only works with characters. It would be great if it worked with entities too).

Thanks.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 19:55
Quote: "goto"

EEEEVVVIIILLLLLLLLLL!!!

*Runs away before the Goto Raptor comes to eat Marc*

The one and only,

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 21:17
Quote: "Runs away before the Goto Raptor comes to eat Marc"

Not sure I get the joke But this command could be really useful to set up spawn point entities and then spawning enemies there, so you only need one instance of an entity and then spawn it where the player is at, at that moment in time.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 22:46
Marc, maybe you don't want to name the command goto.

Most programmers hate the goto command (as opposed to the gosub or functions that will always return to the line following the call. Goto is considered sloppy programming. Well, anyway that's why the joke.

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 22:56
Quote: "Most programmers hate the goto command (as opposed to the gosub or functions that will always return to the line following the call. Goto is considered sloppy programming. Well, anyway that's why the joke."

Yeah, they do, along with me

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "goto=X (X is an entity name - will move the entity to this entity)"

This is already possible, just use settargetname then movetotarget.

Quote: "setvar=var $RANDOM 10 (Will set a variable to a random number between 1 and the number specified)."

I'll consider it.

Quote: "movefore=X (Although this command is already present, it only works with characters. It would be great if it worked with entities too)."

Well, there could be a reason for the restriction to only allow characters to be moved by this command. Although if there isn't then I'll remove the restriction.

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 00:25
Quote: "Runs away before the Goto Raptor comes to eat Marc"

Window: POTENTIAL RAPTOR ENTRANCE POINT!!!!

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 06:12
Quote: "This is already possible, just use settargetname then movetotarget."

Firstly, this only works with characters, and secondly this isn't what I meant - I meant the entity should instantly appear at that named entity - could be useful for dropping keys from enemies etc.

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 06:20
Would anyone be willing to write a quick tutorial on how exactly to get a custom sprint animation working? Not animating the sprint, but scripting it. I've been reading the manual over and over and still can't figure it out and never completely understood it. If anyone would be kind enough, then thank you

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 12:34
Super-Quick Sprint tutorial

1. Animate the sprint animation

2. On the bottom of the gunspec add:

3. Make a new FPI script as such: [NOTE: UNTESTED! MIGHT CAUSE YOUR COMPUTER TO IMPLODE (or not)]

4. Add a dynamic light into the level

5. Add that amazingly well written script into it

6. Test

7. Be happy

8. Thank me

Sorry, I'm tired today..."Rules" blur before 6:00...

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 18:25
@Marc:

Terry summed up the goto joke, but here's where the raptor comes in.

The one and only,

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 18:33
Thank you Shadowtroid! I think there is a small error in the script though by just looking at it. But I'll have to test it when I get on my computer. Thanks again, I think you should make a thread tutorial on it (once that script is surefire)

-PwP-

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 18:37
Quote: "Thanks again, I think you should make a thread tutorial on it (once that script is surefire)"

Eh. Maybe. There's no reason that wouldn't work...However I have had problems with repeating custom animations before.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2010 20:40
Quote: "Terry summed up the goto joke, but here's where the raptor comes in"

That is absolutely hilarious! :ROFL:

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 00:33
Quote: "That is absolutely hilarious! :ROFL:"

You've never seen that? How have you LIVED?!

And I noticed a problem with the script. Let's do this:

Now, you're gonna want to change the 1000 depending on how long the sprinting animation lasts. And I could add support for animations for going in and out of sprint. But you know, I'm tired. I'll do it later.

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 06:07
Quote: "That is absolutely hilarious! :ROFL:"

Still don't get it? Maybe you've got to be a true programmar to understand it

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 10:28
Quote: "Terry summed up the goto joke, but here's where the raptor comes in."

Hilarious!

Abdul Ahad
Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 14:48
Dang, messed up the script AGAIN...

THERE!

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 18:55
@Marc:

Goto statements in programs are supposed to be "bad", but "how bad could it be?" It could be bad enough that a raptor comes to eat you if you use one!

It kinda plays into some of those things that parents tell their kids to keep them from doing bad stuff. Obviously the things that shouldn't done are not really as bad as they make it out to be, but they tell the kids that really bad things will happen if they do it.... like "Don't sit so close to the tv, or else your eyes will melt" or "Don't _______ or you'll grow hair on your palms"! Or maybe even "Don't use a goto statement or a raptor will come to eat you!"

@Shadowtroid:

You probably don't even need states in that script. Just erase the first line and take out the state condition from the second. It should still function as intended.

The one and only,

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 19:57
Alright, thank you Shadow! And Ply, for fixing it

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 13:28
@Ply

But since the etimer never started, how would it go above 1000?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 19:09 Edited at: 1st Jun 2010 19:12
The timer variable will remain at 0, and in comparison with the system's timer (which is likely to be in the millions) it will assume that a LOT of time has passed.

The way the timer works is like so:
- When timerstart is used it will set "timervar" to the system timer's value
- When timergreater is used it will check (SysTimer - timervar) for how much time has passed and compare against the value given

So, if "timervar" was never set, then (SysTimer - timervar) will be a very very large value.

"timerstart" doesn't accurately describe the inner workings. It just assists with comprehension. As you can see, because of the way it works, there is no "stop" for the timer since it is using the system's timer value. In fact, there isn't even a true "start". When you say "start", it simply synchronizes a variable with the system timer value.

Also, with the way your script was, wouldn't it have a 1 second delay before the animation started to play? By taking the first line out and not starting the timer immediately, it will be much more likely that the animation will play immediately upon starting to run.

The one and only,

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 14:16
Oh, didn't know that. Thanks.

However, there would be a 1 second delay...At the beginning. As in, if you try to run in the first second of the game, then you won't see the animation.

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 17:14 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2010 17:16
Quote: "At the beginning. As in, if you try to run in the first second of the game"

That's fine I'm going to test it now that I'm on my computer.

EDIT: Would the script look like this?

-PwP-

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 17:51
Alright, tested it. But it was weird. I could sprint, and it would play the animation. But even when I was holding still, I could press Shift and the animation would play. Also, if I let go of Shift, it would continue playing through my entire sprint animation. If you could help furthermore, I'd be very grateful.

And just if you wanted to see:

Idle-

Sprint-

-PwP-

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 20:01
IIRC, the "plrusingrun" condition checks to see if the player is holding down the key for running. You might want to put in some more conditions for if they are also holding down one of the movement keys.

There is no stop command for the animations, however, so here's a workaround for that:

Make another custom animation that uses the same frames for beginning and end. (IE canim2 = 48,48) You may want to use the ending frame of your sprint action so that it doesn't look too weird. Then run that custom animation when you want the animation to stop, since it's only a single frame it should stop right away.

The one and only,

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 22:52
Ah, makes sense. Thanks Ply.

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 00:02 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2010 00:05
Try this: (Note: When scripts get this long, I tend to comment it a lot to keep things organized.)

Also, in the gunspec, replace the part you previously added with:

I should be getting paid for this.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 04:04
Just an afterthought here, but you could also make a "stop running" animation for your weapon... where the weapon would quickly transition from a mid-run frame to the normal holding frame. That way your transition from running to not running won't be so abrupt.

And, thank you for taking the time to write up the script, Shadowtroid.

The one and only,

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 04:16
Quote: "
And, thank you for taking the time to write up the script, Shadowtroid. "

Not like I have anything better to do. ASP is doing its work...Trying to delete malware on a laptop with 512 MB of RAM and a burnt-out backlight (which means I have to use an external monitor [which means I cannot access the BIOS menu]) is not easy. Good to have something to do while not banging my head into a wall.

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 05:31
Quote: "Good to have something to do while not banging my head into a wall."

That's always fun^^ And yes, thank you for writing that script

GraPix
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 08:25 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2010 08:26
I think I found a bug in Project Blue:

I get the typical "FPSCGAME.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error whenever I click on the video button after playing the game.

In more detail:
When I run my compiled game and click the 'credits' button, it plays fine but if I play the game first and won or die, then I get redirected to the main menu after the 'game complete' or 'game over' page, and if I try to click on credits button at this time then I get that error.

I hope you fix that bug.

Here is the script:

EDIT: Plz check if i'm the only one or you guys are having the problem too.

Thanks
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 21:21
GraPix, can you check to see if this is a bug in vanilla FPSC as well? (V1.16) And if it is, please notify Lee, so that it may be fixed in V1.17.

If it does not occur in vanilla FPSC, then thank you for reporting it and I'm sure hockeykid will get to the bottom of it when work resumes on Project Blue.

The one and only,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 21:56:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 21:56:53