Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / z brush works, Q & A's, free models and tutorials

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 20:33
I prefer him bald, he seems to suit it more

Can we maybe get a side angle shot of the head?

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 21:46
asteric@

i see what you meen about the hair, been thinking of changing or removing it, heres the side view you requested
-

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Awzum!
although the lips could do with some work

"Feel free in a world of madness,be the bright spot"
-Bloody James
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 03:49
The head looks pretty much spot on from what i can see, however the face may be the slightest bit low down, cant be sure.

SJHooks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 04:57
For the mouth mouth, or is it the distance between the nose and the mouth, ruins that nice effect. Theres that little gap in the middle top of the mouth that I can see he's missing, like this (look at the gap between mouth and nose). Well, to be plain you did include that gap, but you made it gap into the model, wheras its the edges are supposed to bump out... I don't now how to describe it, sorry

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 11:52 Edited at: 4th Apr 2010 11:55
sjhooks@

thanks for the advice, i'm not sure if this is an improvement but if it isn't could you please highlight the issues with red in this image, thank way i'll know exactly what you meen, thanks

asteric@

i checked it out and the features line up, the eyes are half way down the head, the nose half way between the chin and the eyes, the mouth is a bit low, but thats easily fixed, shame i didn't notice that before i uploaded this update, oh well, next time

thanks for the kind comments guys heres an update based off of what you all said
-

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
First I would really like to thank you for you help, but I got another problem, again xD.

So I made a bench in blender, uvmapped it and imported into ZBrush. I sculpted it and now I'm stuck at trying to figure out on how to get my polypaint on that uvmap, and how to make a normal map for my bench. So do you got a tutorial on how to do this, because I can't find anything in the ZClassroom about texturemaps and normalmaps.

Isocadia

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 13:55
isocadia@

i've attached a tutorial i have made for this subject, let me know if it helps

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 15:16 Edited at: 4th Apr 2010 15:18
heres something else i just finished, started it about half an hour ago, i'm pleased with it, i'm gonna do the same with this that i did with the head, i'll sketch on top of it and reto it, thats why the centre piece is one solid piece and not seperate knuckles, if they were seperate gaps would appearin my zsketch making sculpting and reto more difficult than neccessary

C&C welcome
-

(this one was rendered in vue 6 in case anyone was wondering, if anyone wants it reduced, size wise let me know)

-

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 15:23
What would be cool would be to start building it up into a real hand, so adding in tendons , muscles, then skins etc.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 15:45
hmmm... would be complicated but i think i could do that, i'll try

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 19:44
made a start on the muscles, i've deliberately changed some minute details on scale and shape so that applying the tendons and skin is easier, C&C welcome
-

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 20:11 Edited at: 4th Apr 2010 20:32
Ok, this is wierd. I saved my bench as a ZBrush document. Now I reopen it and I can't continue on it. If I click my left mouse button all I draw is a sphere, how do I reselect my bench?

Isocadia

Edit: So I tried with a plane to create a texture map. Began in blender, uvmapped, and then imported into zbrush. Now I polypainted it through the projection master tool and when I open up the texture map, I can only hit new texture. Nothing looks like your example.

Edit 2: So I believe I found the problem. When I create a UVMap through ZBrush everything works. It seams as if ZBrush doesn't recognise the UVMap mape by blender. Do you have this problem to?

Attachments

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 20:55
isocadia@

i don't, the cube i used in the example was uv mapped in blender and made in blender, now you said you saved it as a zbrush document, i'm sorry to tell you thats not how you save, i made the same mistake early on, you need to hit the 'save as' button and it'll save your model as a .ZTL (ztool) then you open it and there it is. did you save the uv map in blender by going into the 'scripts' drop down? if not thats why, also are you exporting it as a .obj, as when you export it as one it'll have two options that are called UV and texture make sure they're selected before you export, then when you import it it'll have a uv map applied to it, also just try polypainting with colour for now, wouldn't use projection master until you have the basics working. Also you should download the UV master plugin, its very useful and automatically generates, more often than not, a decent UV map within zbrush however manual UV mapping is always better, and sort of required for non-organic objects. also if you import a model into zbrush it is not neccessary to turn it into a polymesh3D, its already defined as sculptable, that may be your problem yours may be deleting you UV data when you convert it, hope one of these helps

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for your help, apparently it was the make polymesh 3D that screwed with my UVMap. Now I still have 1 question unanswered:

How do I reselect and be able to continue sculpting on a document I've saved?

Isocadia

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2010 22:29
A zbrush document isn't a scene or model, it's their name for the interface so unfortunately your model wasn't saved, to save a model you need to press save as at the right hand side of the screen

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "made a start on the muscles, i've deliberately changed some minute details on scale and shape so that applying the tendons and skin is easier"
The arms are looking great! How did you learn how to model so good?!

The Pokemon Engine is still alive.
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2010 18:02 Edited at: 5th Apr 2010 18:05
master13@
thanks for the kind comment

heres an update, finished the flesh, tendons were becoming way too problematic, i'll tackle those when i have some greater experience

EDIT
just noticed that the knuckle above the thumb is too big, its been fixed so don't worry about that, C&C welcome
-

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice hand! Looks a little fat below the thumb but it's generally good!

---
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2010 19:03
mike5454@

yeah thats what i said i'd corrected, looking back i meant to say below the thumb not above, oops

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "mike5454@

yeah thats what i said i'd corrected, looking back i meant to say below the thumb not above, oops"

Ah, Right, I thought knuckle didn't look that big

---
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2010 19:15
maybe it is a fat persons hand? i really hate when people comment on stuff like that, all hands, persons, heads, look different, everyone isnt "perfect".

i think the hand looks very good to be honest=P

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "maybe it is a fat persons hand? i really hate when people comment on stuff like that, all hands, persons, heads, look different, everyone isnt "perfect"."

I know, But what i was saying was that the part below the thumb looks to big for the thumb, And mazz must have agreed as he already said he'd change it

---
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2010 20:37
heres an update, i've fixed the thumb, now i just have to put them in a scene
-

SJHooks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 00:28
Honestly, it's very good, but I have a few crits. First, the fingers look a bit to small, next, the bumps on the fingers are way to overpowering, and 3m the bone on the wrist isn't supposed to be bumping out that far. Otherwise breathtaking job, and good study of anatomy.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 16:36
thanks for the crits, heres an update
-

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 17:00
One thing, the fingers are almost the same length, which is throwing me off when i look at it, the small finger should be around 3/4 the size of the middle finger.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 18:09
true^
also, dont use clay brush or whatever it is named, since .. well, it doesnt look good, looks like he would be having clay knuckles =P
it sure looks good, just needs some tweaking

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 16:13 Edited at: 7th Apr 2010 16:13
well thanks for the advice guys, i'm taking a step back from anatomy work, its sent me into a stay of mild boredom but now i'm moving back into creature design as thats what i love, heres a new model i'm calling grin, you can't really tell from this angle but from the side it looks like he has a massive grin and so thats what i named it, anyway i'm rambling, also these are just two texture tests that with some work i may use for compositing the CS3 later, C&C welcome, also i'm getting issues with imageshack so i'll have the image in the post but attacjed, so it may take its time when it comes to loading
-

Attachments

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2010 22:01 Edited at: 7th Apr 2010 22:04
heres another update, wasn't happy with the last version so i changed a lot. let me know what you think.
-

edit:

ahh damn imageshack idn't displaying my images, whys it so glitchy, oh well
-

Attachments

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 18:28
well heres the presentation piece, hope someone posts onto triple again, so let me know what you think
-

attached is a larger version

Attachments

zaphos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 03:45
I like the design, I prefer the orange one more then the last render. I like that you have not made it totally symmetrical apart from the eye placement. It looks a bit odd having eyes not symmetrical, my preference is the right hand side as you look at it, if you mirrored the eyes across it would look better to me. It all depends on the story behind the character I guess! Is it some kind of mutant, genetic experiment or something from resident evil 'T' virus type thing? It looks cool anyways.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 15:29
thanks, i personally found that the last render was too dark for the texture to be shown properly so here is an update showing the texture in the round
-

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 20:00 Edited at: 9th Apr 2010 20:01
well the last guys finished now, attached is the final image

and heres a start on a new character, its had less than one hours work and comments would be appreciated
-

Attachments

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice, No idea why but he reminds me of a goat

A little question, I'm going to start to properly learn z-brush, What would you recommend i do, Learn anatomy and model realistic things then move onto unrealistic things or start with unrealistic?

---
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 22:16
mike5454@

thanks at the moment hes acctually called goatman, i think its the nose, anyway about your question, i started with unrealistic stuff and alyhough it may be more fun, it really held me back for a long time, start with anatomy since i started doing head sculpts my facial structure in my model has become second nature where before my best efforts would, in all fairness turn out dreadful. you want to create a set of bases that you'll use to sculpt on top of, i've decided to help you out and attached is a pair of bases i use for both head and body sculpting, i started this thread partially to try and help people starting out in zbrush so if you do use these models for anything please post the results on here and let me know if they help, same goes for anyone else

Attachments

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Mazz! Importing the head now!

---
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 18:56
added some hair and made some changes, tell me what you think
-

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 21:48
heres an update, started detailing the face, tell me what you think please, wonder why no ones posting...
-

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, Looking good Are you going to sell this guy? I think alot of people would buy it!

Also, I can't really get anything onto that base, I don't know where to start When i find some headphones i'm going to follow the skull tutorial though

---
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 23:05
Mike5454@

the skull tutorial I followed wasn't a video, it's a text document that is acctually in your zbrush R3 file

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " | link | toggle
Mike5454@

the skull tutorial I followed wasn't a video, it's a text document that is acctually in your zbrush R3 file"

I don't seem to have it though :\ Any chance you could email it to me? Thanks!

---
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 18:32
mike5454@

i'm not sure how legal it is for me to send it to you, do you have version 3.5? if you do then its definately in there as z brush 3.5 tutorials. if not i'll knock up a tut for you

anyway, i started work on a new character, its been a while since i went right from a concept to a finished model, C&C welcome
-

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 17:57 Edited at: 13th Apr 2010 17:58
Quote: "
i'm not sure how legal it is for me to send it to you, do you have version 3.5? if you do then its definately in there as z brush 3.5 tutorials. if not i'll knock up a tut for you"

It's okay, I don't want you to get into trouble or waste your time over something i'll probably mess up Anyway, There's a decent one on the zbrush site here: http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Sculpting_A_Skull_With_Image_Planes That will probably be fine for me

EDIT: Great looking model, Any chance we could see a smooth version?

---
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 19:29
well mike heres an update, had difficulty logging in today and yesterday so i wasn't able to give the update but here it is
-

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 22:08
well i've taken a break from the last guy, heres another bust (i enjoy them the most) i'll probably add some further detail to this guy, wrinkles and mabey some hellboy style marking, and please post, i'm getting a bit board just posting and having no responces
-

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2010 17:24
back to triple posts huh, why isn't anyone posting?! oh well heres an update, tell me what you think
-

'Diamantae'
between 1 - 2 hours of work, wrinkles and marks done manually

-

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great! I like the ear, And the beard looks awesome!

Quote: " i'm getting a bit board just posting and having no responces"

I hate it when that happens :\ Hope some other people post!

---
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2010 17:42
Quote: "back to triple posts huh, why isn't anyone posting?!"

yeah u tell me.. ^^ happens for me alot aswell lol^^

looking very good ^^

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2010 18:45
thanks for the posts guys, i'm working on a new one at the mo, but nothing ready to show

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:15:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:15:53