Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC App Developers Group

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I haven't heard any mention of them starting it up but you could always publish your games through TGC or another AppUp developer for a cut of the profits. "

I'd feel like I'm missing out on the opportunity to publish something myself. The best part about it is that you can be your own publisher.

I'm on the fence about AppUp right now. There's only one game I'm considering selling, and I'm not sure if I'll get enough sales to pay the developer fee, let alone make any meaningful profit.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 10:50
I think it's worth it for the experience alone, you could always quit AppUp if they introduce the fees and you aren't making enough anyway...

DVader, the RTS looks interesting. Are you starting it up again?

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 11:04
Here's a screen from my newest WIP, one in which I hold the highest confidence I will finish, making this game in the past two days I can see I have come leaps and bounds from where I was just a few short months ago!
The card and spellcasting routines work on a very limited basis, what I'm currently looking at is implementing a few more cards and spells and then trying to randomize the output.
This has been amazing fun so far, and much of the credit goes to Hodgey and Uncle sam, who I have email correspondance with regularly.
Thanks so much guys, and thank you Bax for always encouraging me!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 11:07
Looks great

I look forward to seeing it progress!

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 11:11
Oooh I uncapped the framerate, 800 fps.
This is looking great so far!
Thanks Bax.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 12:41
Quote: "much of the credit goes to Hodgey and Uncle sam"

I'm always happy to help.

@ DVader, that's extraordinary!
Quote: "not gonna bother updating yet"

Well, yet means you will sometime right?

A clever person solves a problem, a wise person avoids it - Albert Einstein
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@Baxslash, I hope to I am just looking at a bug that was very hard to pin down when it was last worked on. It struggles to run much above 30fps on a netbook though, although for this sort of thing isn't too bad. the city can get quite busy.
@Hodgey, thanks, I quite enjoy playing it at the moment although there isn't that much to do yet gameplay wise apart from keep people happy and fed etc. Stil I always find it encouraging if I spend more time playing than coding as it means it must be ok. I will put up the new version later on today if I can. It depends on how long it takes to make a vid and upload it .

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 17:18
Just in case anyone's interested I managed to get AppUp running on my Vista machine without too much trouble. Might make testing a bit easier for those who only have Vista.

All I did was:
1-Download the installer
2-Open it's properties and set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2
3-Run the installer
4-Set up the shortcut properties the same way and then only use the shortcut to run the AppUp Client.

Worked just fine except it says I have reached the maximum number of computers for my account so I'm waiting for a reset.

I lost a bunch of work recently after a HD recovery. My machine is getting jittery... I have backups but they are a few weeks old so I'm back to square one on a few of my recently started projects. Also some nearly complete projects will have to catch up to where they were.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
That's not good news! Hate losing stuff like that.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 22:16
Quote: "My machine is getting jittery... I have backups but they are a few weeks old..."

Same here, I am furiously creating backups right now, waiting for my new motherboard bundle to arrive. I use DropBox for my most recent stuff, which is a lifesaver.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 00:06
I really should start using dropbox more often...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 19:44 Edited at: 18th Jun 2011 14:28
Can I ask which is the best guide to use for creating an installer? I see there are a few. I only have Visual Studio Express which doesn't have installer functionality, so that option is out.

[EDIT] Baxslash just sent me details...

http://newsfiles.thegamecreators.com/issue100/Building%20a%20Free%20Installer.pdf
Use WarSetup as Lee gave directions to do and use Juney’s info to edit the msi using Orca.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 20:25 Edited at: 8th Jun 2011 20:53
Hey Guys, I've uploaded a new version (v0.05) of my MinimalMSIMaker tool with the improvement of allowing 1 level of sub-folders to be part of your game packaged folders. i.e. if your game is in ..\MyGame_v1.0\ then you can have ..\MyGame_v1.0\Images, ..\MyGame_v1.0\Music, ..\MyGame_v1.0\Data, etc.

Haven't heard anything about my previous version, so not sure if that's good or bad. Anyway, if anyone is able to try this out, then that would be appreciated. I still don't know if it does what I want it to properly...

Again, it's located in the WIP board:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=185508&b=8

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 21:06
Sounds good, but I have more than one sublevel unfortunately

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 22:34
I was going to post a question, but I just found the answer, so I'll post both for everyone's benefit...

I'm trying to incorporate the AppUp validation according to the instructions

Step 1: Download and install the Intel Atom Developer Program SDK

Step 5: Launch runATDS.bat found in Intel Atom Developer Program SDK\0.91\bin

Firstly I can't find an ATOM developer SDK, but I have found the AppUp developer SDK 1.1.1. But this doesn't contain the runATDS.bat file.

Here's the answer:

You now download the AppUp Developer SDK and install.

In the Intel\IntelAppUpSDK\Tools\Debugger folder you will find run.bat. Run this and you'll see the debug window open up. You're ready to carry on with the validation...good luck!

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 12:12 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 13:33
Hi again. I know it's been a while but the next build of RADAR is finally ready so if anyone's up for some more beta testing, it would be greatly appreciated. If you tested it before, you won't notice any major differences I'm afraid. I've fixed (I think) the text size issue highlighted by Hodgey and I've added the option to mute the sound in-game. However the most major change should, if it's worked, be invisible. That it because I've totally changed the collision detection system the game is using.

Anyhow I'm hoping to release the game fairly soon now, baring major glitches, but any comments would be very useful. I can get the game to you either through Intel AppUp or as a download from my Google Docs. Thanks!

EDIT: I've just uploaded a new version to AppUp that includes the missing dll mentioned by baxslash - I always forget something :p
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 14:09
I'd be happy to beta test your new version of RADAR but you'll have to send me the link via email (I'm still not on appup....yet).

Quote: "That it because I've totally changed the collision detection system the game is using."

I recently redesigned my 'collision' system as well. I actually stopped using DBPro's collision commands and used mathematics to light up the aliens as the radar passed over them (more detail in my WIP).

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 14:49 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 18:33
Hi Lucas, I'll be happy to take another look if you invite me to Beta test on AppUp..

Attachments

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 17:33 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 17:35
Quote: "I'd be happy to beta test your new version of RADAR but you'll have to send me the link via email"

Thanks Hodgey. I've sent you the link to the download

Quote: "Hi Lucas, I'll be happy to take another look if you invite me to Beta test on AppUp."

Thanks! I'll send you over an invite right away. How are your efforts with the mOceans plugin going by the way? I'm still very interested in your progress as I'd like to include ads in a free version of RADAR. I had a play around myself but I ran in to problems because I use the Express version of Visual Studio which does not seem to support the AppUp SDK.

EDIT: In fact baxslash I seem to have already invited you. Do you still have access to it or do I need to remove you and invite you again?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 17:34 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 17:41
I recently returned to a game I started when I first got the Box2D plugin by Diggsey. I now have a basic game engine working for a game I'm currently calling "Ham and Eggs got Beef!" (if only because "Farmageddon" has been overused already...)

It's a 'worms' clone but using physics for explosions and weapon ideas. Basically the storyline is gang warfare on a farm. The cows were staying out of it until Ham Malone and Eggs McNally killed Fletcher "Beef" Beefsteak (names may change to protect the innocent), now the cows are on the rampage for revenge.

There will be a set of missions but there will be multi-player too just like 'worms'. I have some fun ideas for weapons but so far I just have pistols, shotguns and grenade-launchers.

Here's one of the Cow characters:

EDIT:
Quote: "In fact baxslash I seem to have already invited you. Do you still have access to it or do I need to remove you and invite you again?"

I haven't checked I probably still have access... I'll let you know if I have any trouble.

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 18:05
I'm happy to beta-test games if you point me in the right direction. What do you need to invite me on AppUp?

Baxslash, I like the sound of your game, the graphics look very like Angry-birds-style which should help attract attention.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 18:34 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 18:34
Thanks Batvink!

Here's one of the pigs:

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 18:45 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 18:46
Looking sweet Baxslash - hopefully it'll be less random than AngryBirds. Always liked Worms, so I'll be keeping an eye on that.

Inspired me to post a screenshot of my soon-to-be-finished-fingers-crossed title Fizzy and Dizzy . I'm planning on releasing a demo next week.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 18:48
Hey that looks fantastic VanB!!

Love the artwork it looks very professional

Is this an AppUp title?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 18:56
Cheers, I had a lot of help from Dado Almeida (one of TGC's freelance artists) - his monkey animations are brilliant!. I'm hoping to get onto more than just App-up, working on an iOS version in parallel and the PC version scales up well. PC version is practically done though, just tidying things up and adding some more achievements and stuff like that. The iOS version is lagging a little, but it's C++ and I'm a BASIC stalwart, so I'm doing alright considering.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 19:06
Quote: "I'm happy to beta-test games if you point me in the right direction. What do you need to invite me on AppUp?"

All I would need is the email address attached to your Intel AppUp account. Then I could send you over an invite.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 19:24 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 19:24
Here's a WIP of one of the chickens too

Attachments

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 19:32
@baxslash
Love the graphics. What do you make them in? GIMP?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 20:17
Quote: "Love the graphics. What do you make them in? GIMP? "

Thanks, yes all done in GIMP...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 23:37
Quote: "Thanks Hodgey. I've sent you the link to the download"

Brilliant, I'll test it ASAP.

Looking good Baxslash, can't wait to see a demo!

VanB, that looks amazing!!! (everyone's games look so much better than mine). How are you programming for iOS......oh I see Good luck to you VanB.

Quote: "yes all done in GIMP"

I downloaded that program recently, I had trouble drawing a circle. I now know what you have to do but I still prefere my circle tool. I'm going to have to take some tutorials.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 23:46 Edited at: 13th Jun 2011 23:49
I can be added as a beta tester on AppUp using batvink at gmail . com

Just released a new beta version of Pile 'em Up, I may try to get this as a beta app on AppUp. I presume it needs the AppUp validation code in place, does it need an installer too for this stage?

[EDIT] got it..." Simply upload your application's installer file and check back on this page after 30 minutes to invite beta testers for your application"

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 01:02
@BatVink
Thanks for offering to test. I've sent you over an invite. Tell me if you have any problems will it. If this is your first beta, remember to switch beta testing on in your account options in the client in order to access the invite.

Looks like you've found the info on beta testing through AppUp but basically, as your testing through the AppUp client, I think you have to submit it just as it would be for final publication.

@Hodgey
Yeah the lack of basic drawing tools in GIMP can be really annoying. I often use it to enhance images from other paint programs or from scanned in images rather than making stuff entirely from scratch.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 01:30
Quote: "Yeah the lack of basic drawing tools in GIMP can be really annoying. I often use it to enhance images from other paint programs or from scanned in images rather than making stuff entirely from scratch."

It can be frustrating to use sometimes but I use GIMP at work too and I've got quite used to it now...

I'm enjoying playing with these character skins.

I'm looking forward to adding the images to the already fairly nice game engine... the best bit I think of making a game is when you finally see it start to take shape.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 06:28
Lucas, just installed RADAR and all went well but when I tried to launch the game I get this error "D:\Program Files\Tezcatlipoca Software\RADAR\RADAR\d3dx9_43.dll is either not designed for windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your sytem administrator or the software vendor for support".
I did try a reinstall and got the same message. I also uninstalled (via control panel) the previous version I tested before installing the new one.

Quote: "the best bit I think of making a game is when you finally see it start to take shape."

I agree

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 09:48
Quote: "I get this error "D:\Program Files\Tezcatlipoca Software\RADAR\RADAR\d3dx9_43.dll is either not designed for windows or it contains an error."

Hmm well as this is the dll baxslash said was missing and it works for me.. Could you do me a favour and go to D:\Program Files\Tezcatlipoca Software\RADAR\RADAR\ and just delete d3dx9_43.dll? I didn't include it last time and I think it ran OK for you. It might then run you never know. Thanks!
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 09:56
Quote: "Could you do me a favour and go to D:\Program Files\Tezcatlipoca Software\RADAR\RADAR\ and just delete d3dx9_43.dll?"

I tried that and I tried replacing it with my own D3DX9_43.dll (note the capitals) and that didn't work. What happens is that well, nothing happens. I get the thinking cursor for 10 seconds then it stops thinking and nothing happens. I'll try installing it again.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 10:32
I haven't had a chance to try this yet but I will try it ASAP and see what happens...

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 10:37
Thanks guys. I've noticed that I have 2 D3DX9_43.dll s on my computer. One is dated some time in 2010 and is about 2.28MBs which is the one I'm using. However there is another from some time this year that is about 1.9MB. I wonder if this second version would work. I don't know if you think this might be a problem but as my system is x64, could it be that my dlls are not compatible with x86 which your netbooks are presumably running? If so, how on earth do I get around this as I want to support both architectures?
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 10:46
Do you know/remember what you did last time because it ran for me then?

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 13:13
Quote: "Do you know/remember what you did last time because it ran for me then?"

The last build did not include the dll at all; that's why I suggested deleting it as I assumed the program found a working version of the dll already on your computer. However I'm not sure whether all computers will have this dll already installed.
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 13:21 Edited at: 14th Jun 2011 13:22
I use Windows 7 64bit OS, and I've found that most of the DirectX DLL files required for DBP apps reside in the "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" folder on my system. The latest one I have is "d3dx9_35.dll" and that was using v7.5 of DBP (which doesn't work now with SP1) so I don't know if v7.7 needs a newer version or if you're using another plugin that requires a newer "D3DX9_nn.DLL" file.
You may want to try copying the "d3dx9_43.dll" file to that SysWOW64 folder and see how you go.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 14:15
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'm running Windows 7 sp1 so maybe something the in service pack doesn't like the dll or vice versa.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 15:01
Quote: "I now have a basic game engine working for a game I'm currently calling "Ham and Eggs got Beef!""

Sounds like a really fun game, baxslash! I like the look of those farm animals. Will keep an eye on this.

@ Van B
Looking really nice, man! 'Fizzy and Dizzy', huh? Heheheh. Cool title aswell. I'll keep my other eye on this.

@ Batvink
Loox like a nice and fun game too, dude! Haven't tested it out yet (too busy deving and looking for a job), but I'll definatly have a go at this later.

All these cool games make me jaleous, cuz Brixoid still isn't published on AppUp. Wéééééé!
I really should finish this once and for all. I've been putting it off for too long. Three other projects of mine require a lot of work, like the adventure/puzzle game for AppUp, a Super Mario clone and a horizontal space shooter. And, I restarted another project (space game like Wing Commander).

I'll start a WIP thread one of these days (or weeks), but for now, here's a little video (wmv format). It's a part of the intro cutscene where Sara (the mother) is in front of the lift which will send her to the world her lost daughter is.

Cheers

RULES, MAN! YEAH, SLAYER!

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 15:24
Great graphics The Slayer! Your friend really knows his stuff

I'll keep both eyes on this one!

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 15:45
@Hodgey
Shouldn't be a problem with Win7 SP1 because that's what I'm running.

@mr_d
Thanks for the tip. It was the version in the folder you mentioned that is the smaller and more modern one I was talking about. I've followed your advice and included that dll instead. Let's hope it works!

I've updated to the new version of RADAR on AppUp and I've sent out a new link for the new download. Thanks for all your help with this!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 21:19
Quote: "Great graphics The Slayer! Your friend really knows his stuff "

Yeah, he does. He's a great ZBrusher. Actually, we both work on the graphics and it worx like a charm. We both do the graphics, music and sounds, the story and puzzle ideas, and I do the programming too.

Cheers

RULES, MAN! YEAH, SLAYER!
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 21:31
@ Lucas, just tried your latest build and when I try to launch the application, nothing happens. Just thinks for a couple of seconds and then nothing.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 21:48
Quote: "@ Lucas, just tried your latest build and when I try to launch the application, nothing happens. Just thinks for a couple of seconds and then nothing."

Urrg. No error message at all? Oh boy do I love these. Well I've got in running on my dev PC (Win7 SP1 x64) and another PC (XP SP3 x86). I think I'll wait to see what other people get and see if I can requisition any more machines for testing in the hope that that throws some more light on the problem. Thanks for testing anyway.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 23:22
Quote: "No error message at all?"

Nope and that's the weird thing. I think there is something wrong with executing the application. I started messing around with the .dlls, moving them, deleting them etc. Everytime I moved/deleted a .dll I tried to run the program and nothing happened, no error messages or anything. Very stange.

Yeah so just wait for others to test it as it could be just me.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 01:15
I just went through the pain of my first installer creation this evening. It's transferable effort though, the next one will be far easier, probably an hour to create one from scratch (well, from my personalised template).

Just waiting for it to become available for beta testing now...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-29 02:33:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-29 02:33:23