Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC App Developers Group

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2011 05:33 Edited at: 23rd May 2011 07:42
Alright thanks for the suggestion, as for the upgrading problem on my installer I am pretty sure it has to do with the dbpro IDE not being able to change version numbers correctly.

EDIT: I found a work around with the file version and I successfully updated it
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2011 15:09
Hi guys, I'm struggling to finish what I was going to use for this month's newsletter article and I was wondering if anyone had anything they think would be a good thing to cover?

Also if anyone has a game they'd like reviewing I have an opening

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
hMM, No game here yet, although GAME is starting to take shape now. No idea on an article as such, are you given free range what to write or does it have to be tutorial type stuff?

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2011 15:22
Quote: "No idea on an article as such, are you given free range what to write or does it have to be tutorial type stuff?"

Not quite 'free' but I want it to be useful and interesting to read.

I was thinking of providing some useful code such as Display setup code for variable screen sizes...

The problem is I spent a lot of time working on Google Adsense and now I'm running out of time to get a finished working system nevermind the article.

I'll come up with something but I'm hoping someone has a good idea or game I can use to 'pad' the article out a bit.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2011 17:00 Edited at: 24th May 2011 17:11
I did something like that in my space trader project, but it was pretty basic stuff. Certainly not worth putting in the newsletter. Perhaps something to do with your Dark Physics car post? A lot of peeps (myself included) have had problems getting the vehicle physics working in a realistic fashion. For some reason your demo crashes on my system So I didn't get to see if it felt right or not. Probably a driver issue here, as I used a different plugin for my marble madness attempt at the start of the year and think I may have an old version of physx at the min. Netbooks however do not like physx and you would have to use the plugin I used to get it running on a netbook. Thanks to Matt for that, I will continue the project at some point..
Either that or do a tut on how to have LEVELS in a game. Seems a stupid question, but I have heard many peeps asking this basic thing. I have also seen code that reads like a book, and instead of having repeatable loops they just copy and paste the same code down then rinse and repeat. I'm sure a lot of people know what I mean. Were all guilty of doing that I would imagine but some never think to have a main engine loop and simply code each level as new code.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2011 17:14
I know what you mean DVader. I just looked at some code that did levels exactly like that. Well worth considering making an article about coding simple game engines.

I don't have DarkPhysics installed at the moment (I'm using matty's plugin too ) but that might constitute a future article once he's finished it... I have a feeling his new wheels will be much easier and more flexible to use than the unilateral attempt at vehicles in DP.

I think I'll try to finish the AdSense article and consider physics engines as a good subject for a future article.

Thanks DV!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Matt sent me a link to some vids concerning the vehicle physics as I mentioned it to him, when working on the marble mania game. It looked way better than the current driving demo included with dark physics.
I'm sure lots of people will be interested in the add sense stuff. I may even try it myself if I finish a project first of course :p. I have 3 projects on hold and the one I am working on is proving troublesome, although I knew the problems I would have before I started it. Never easy making a project that allows others to make their own games from within it, even a simple adventure game. Online MMOG's don't help either At the min I am playing LOTRO and find it difficult to load up DB and get cracking as the LOTRO icon is there looking at me. Perhaps an article on how to avoid distractions when working on projects would be a good one lol. My current method is try to do one feature for my project before I begin playing anything, however that does not always pan out

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2011 17:39
Yes, I follow his youtube channel. The vehicle physics is great although I've only done some minimal playing!

I have a feeling C0wbox may have used the new wheels (I know for sure he used matty's plugin) in his game "World Off Road" but I'm not sure the wheels were implimented at that stage.

LOTRO looks like fun but I find it hard to put games like that down too. I got completely lost in "City of Heroes" for a while!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 24th May 2011 17:58
@baxslash
Would it be possible to test my new game out on your netbook? Its an adventure game (which will be awesome) in progress. There's only the main menu and the first scene at the moment, no puzzles yet. Basically I just want to know if it runs at a decent speed on netbooks. Thanks.
Btw, we should discuss some more songs I could do for you. I didnt forget about that, fella. Just got too busy with other things.

Cheers

SLAYER RULES! YEAH, MAN!!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2011 18:14
Hey @The Slayer! Of course, just send me a link or the whole thing.

Can't wait!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2011 21:33
Quote: "Hey @The Slayer! Of course, just send me a link or the whole thing."

Awesome, dude.
Here it is. There's no character animation yet, but that wont take long anymore cuz I'm finishing the main character and rendering the animations as we speak. Heheheheh.
For now, you can move the character with the cursorkeys.
Only the 'New Game' and the 'Exit Game' options work for the time being.
Its in windowed mode, and you can set the sync rate to either zero, or 60. It would be nice if you could test both framerates out and tell me if the background animation runs smooth in both rates. Thanks.
If any one else wants to test it on his/her netbook and report back, that would be really nice.

Cheers

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Given it a quick test Slayer, 64 fps synced and 156 uncapped. That's on an MSI U135DX.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2011 08:47
Quote: "Given it a quick test Slayer, 64 fps synced and 156 uncapped. That's on an MSI U135DX."

Excellent, DVader. A big thanks to you for testing. 64 fps synced and 156 uncapped? Wow, thats good news. Wonder how fast it would run in fullscreen mode. Heheheh.

Cheers

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2011 09:30
@ Slayer - I'll give it a go when I get the chance which will probably be tomorrow

Just wondering if anyone was entering the Developer Challenge. I reckon a lot of you guys could enter your apps in atleast one of the challenges. To those who do, good luck

A clever person solves a problem, a wise person avoids it - Albert Einstein
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2011 10:19
I'll try to test tonight @The Slayer.

@Hodgey, I'll enter as soon as I have a new App finished. Problem is you can only enter something that hasn't been entered into another Intel competition (unless they changed that rule)... my other games already have been (they were entered in the TGC / Intel comp).

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2011 14:26
Quote: "I'll enter as soon as I have a new App finished."

Good luck Baxslash, if you need any testing I'm always here. I'll test The Slayer's game tomorrow so I'm taking orders

Quote: "Problem is you can only enter something that hasn't been entered into another Intel competition"

That's a shame but I suppose it is to stop one person winning every prize with just one app.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2011 15:30
Quote: "@ Slayer - I'll give it a go when I get the chance which will probably be tomorrow"

Quote: "I'll try to test tonight @The Slayer."

Thank you both, Hodgey and baxslash. Very kind. I'll look forward to the results. If they are as good as on DVaders' netbook, then I'll be very pleased.

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2011 23:57
Yup my latest app is being entered into the developers challenge. Hopefully it will get validated in time,partly do to a weird bug that would not let me go through the submission process on their site. It appears to be working now though so hopefully all goes well.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 08:04
@ The Slayer, just tested your app and the reported fps was 36-38, which is very consistent and stable, so far so good The animation delay time was 60 and stayed this way the whole time. I ran your app for a second time and the fps went up to 42-46. So far it seems like your app is fine when it comes to performance.

@ Cor, good luck in the competition

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 10:14
@The Slayer, me too. I got a steady 33-35 which was also stable and fine I think for an animated adventure like this (looks really stylish BTW)... anim delay also stayed at a steady 60 here.

Good luck from me too @Cor!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 10:31
Newsletter Request
What are you working on? If you have a WIP and would like to share it with the community (even if it's not very far along) I was thinking it might be nice to have an occasional "In the pipeline" feature. It might include updates to games already featured or new games being started or even follow games right through the whole process from concept to validation...

Any takers?

If so post a quick message here or Email me.

I still need to hear from Steve Vink regarding this feature but I thought we might run out of finished games to review soon and this might make a nice filler as well as give people an idea of the kind of problems we encounter.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 11:28 Edited at: 26th May 2011 11:32
I've started on a new project and hope to have something to show soon. I've had the idea in my mind for almost a year now but after seeing Lucas's game I said to myself "I have to bring this game to life" as my game and Lucas's game share something in common, a radar. I'll attach a screen shot but nothing much to see yet but with a bit of luck I should have something playable over the next two days. I'll keep you posted. Although it isn't much, any opinions/suggests are greatly appreciated. Oh and a special thanks to David Gervais for his awesome space background.

Edit- Oh yeah, I haven't thought of a decent name for it yet, any ideas? Well I suppose you may need a bit more info but in a nutshell, aliens are attacking earth but have a cloaking ability, the radar shows the aliens' location but only for a short time before they disappear again. The player (ship) must shoot the aliens. Not much of a storyline, you just keep playing until you die.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 11:52
Thanks Hodgey! I was thinking of including Lucas's game and The Slayer's too if that's OK.

I like the idea of the bad guys not always being visible, I imagine spending a lot of time trying to follow the radar position and trying to remember where all the bad guys are.

Name ideas:
Space Evaders
Stealth Invaders
Starshroud

Just some quick ideas, they may have been used before I just threw some words into the thesaurus

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 12:31
Quote: "@ The Slayer, just tested your app and the reported fps was 36-38, which is very consistent and stable, so far so good The animation delay time was 60 and stayed this way the whole time."

Aah, that's good to hear. Its nice to hear the animation delay stays the same the whole time. The animation is timer based.
Thanks for testing, Hodgey!

Quote: "@The Slayer, me too. I got a steady 33-35 which was also stable and fine I think for an animated adventure like this (looks really stylish BTW)... anim delay also stayed at a steady 60 here."

Yeah, it should be enough for this type of adventure game. Although, I assume it'll run faster once its run in fullscreen mode.
Thank you for testing, baxslash!

@Hodgey and baxslash:
Btw, did any of you test it uncapped?

Quote: "I was thinking of including Lucas's game and The Slayer's too if that's OK."

Yeah, no problem. I didnt post it in the WIP section yet, but that could be arranged later on. The game is in its very early stages, but me and Geoff (a Zbrush guy, composer, musician and artist I met while shopping. heheheh.) are constantly working on it.
Let me know what you exactly need, right? Screenshots, design process/progress, story, etc...?

Cheers

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 12:35
Quote: " did any of you test it uncapped"

Yes but there was no noticeable difference, presumably because it was running at 33-35 at its fastest anyway?

I'll let you know what I need via email, thanks!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 12:56
Quote: "I like the idea of the bad guys not always being visible, I imagine spending a lot of time trying to follow the radar position and trying to remember where all the bad guys are"

That's the idea and I love the name "Space Evaders" but I might make it a bit more original like Evasive Invasion or something like that, but thanks for the ideas.

Quote: "Thanks for testing, Hodgey!"

You're welcome

Quote: "Btw, did any of you test it uncapped?"

How do I do that? (I still have a lot to learn)

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 13:01
Quote: "How do I do that?"

Hehehheh, its very simple. I coded it in, so when you press the shift key, it runs uncapped (framerate zero), and pressing the control key, sets the framerate back to 60.

Cheers

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 13:31 Edited at: 26th May 2011 13:38
Quote: "Hehehheh, its very simple. I coded it in, so when you press the shift key, it runs uncapped (framerate zero), and pressing the control key, sets the framerate back to 60."

Ok, that makes sense, I thought it had something to do with a framerate of 0, I'll test it now

Just tried it and like Baxslash said, it didn't make a difference.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
My netbook must be beasty compared to baxslash and Hodgey's machines. Here's me thinking it slow lol. What sort of specs are they out of curiosity?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 16:09
I'm thinking it might be because mine is running Windows 7, stupid OS for a little netbook IMHO...

HP Mini 210
N455 chip

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
The specs are pretty much the same as mine apart from DDR2 instead of DDR3 memory by the looks ( I doubt theres a huge difference between them). Windows 7 will be slowing the system down a fair bit, a memory upgrade would help. I deliberately shopped for an xp machine as I didn't want windows 7 slowing it down, as you say at the min netbook specs don't really cut the mustard for windows 7 really. Or should I say netbuke lol, Lee always makes me smile if I see any video's of him saying netbuke.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 16:35
Quote: "Or should I say netbuke lol, Lee always makes me smile if I see any video's of him saying netbuke."

Before I moved around the world a bit I had a very similar accent. I was born in Orrell, just up the road from Lee really...

Takes me back

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 19:49 Edited at: 26th May 2011 19:49
@ baxslash I'm not far from Brum, and can get confused for a brummie, but I am NOT lol. I think the UK must have the broadest range of accents in the world considering it's size. 20 or 30 miles can make a big difference to an accent

@slayer good luck with the adventure. The graphics are a big thing in a game like that, lets hope the artist doesn't get bored before it's finished. I collaborated once on a similar project, but the graphics dried up after a while and it ended up in the long list of uncompleted projects. Which was a pity because the 2 or 3 screens and the main characters anims I had been sent were great. A Monkey Island style adventure would be a nice project to do if someone drew the graphics for me

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 22:58
Quote: "@slayer good luck with the adventure. The graphics are a big thing in a game like that, lets hope the artist doesn't get bored before it's finished."

Thanks DVader, but not to worry. Heheheh. Even if Geoff would decide to end his collaboration with me, the game will get finished. It would take longer, but the quality of the graphics will stay. Actually, the background in this first scene is almost completely done by me.
Before working together with Geoff, I was already begun designing the game. Here's a picture of what it looked like to begin with.

The start scenes of the game will be in another setting, but later on, it'll probably look like the picture above. Hehehhe.

Quote: "A Monkey Island style adventure would be a nice project to do if someone drew the graphics for me"

Yeah, that would be a great idea.

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2011 23:46
thanks for wishing me luck guys. The app is currently in validation, I beta tested it on one of my other computers and it downloaded and ran great from the app store. Hope it passes!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2011 00:03
Good luck, Cor!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2011 00:40
Frankly if it downloaded and ran fine from the store you're about 90% there for sure. I hope the othe 10% doesn't give you grief!

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2011 00:53
Hopefully not, you can add me to the developers on the front page if you would like
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2011 01:43 Edited at: 27th May 2011 01:46
Quote: "Hopefully not, you can add me to the developers on the front page if you would like"

Thought I already had! Done!!

Hey, what's your game called? Want any exposure in the newsletter?

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2011 05:33
Sure that would be awesome do you want me to email you screens? I can email you the description and screens I used for the appup submission. The game is called Chicken Poppers.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2011 10:38
Quote: "Sure that would be awesome do you want me to email you screens? I can email you the description and screens I used for the appup submission. The game is called Chicken Poppers."

That would be great!

I have three WIP's already so with yours that'll give me enough at least for this issue, maybe for the next one too.

Thanks for the support guys!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2011 11:04
Hey guys, update on my lastest project, we'll call it "Space Evaders" for now . Not sure if it is ready for a WIP post but definetly getting there. There are now enemies you can shoot. Have a go, tell me what you think, and suggestions are welcome.

Could those with netbooks please test this, just starting mine up now to do a bit of testing. The screen fps is printed in the top left hand corner.

Have fun

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2011 11:26
Downloading!

I'll test it on the NB asap...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2011 11:32 Edited at: 27th May 2011 11:32
Thanks Baxslash, I was getting around 55 fps on my netbook so I'll be interested to hear what you get.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2011 12:06
I get around 60 on my desktop, is that capped using sync rate or vsync?

I like the game too, it's fun

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2011 12:14
That's using a sync rate of 60 with vsync.

Quote: "I like the game too, it's fun"

I was playing it for quite a bit even though it is still in the early stages of development.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2011 12:43
Quote: "I was playing it for quite a bit even though it is still in the early stages of development."

I think that's often a good sign for a game at this stage

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2011 00:13 Edited at: 28th May 2011 02:39
Hey baxslash,
I will email you the info as soon as possible. My app was rejected because the validator tried to run it and it crashed saying parameter is incorrect. So i am currently working with their support trying to fix that....

EDIT: after talking with there support some more...one of them thinks its the installer and one of them thinks its the app. So i followed there instructions to beta test and reproduce the errors.....I did that and it worked perfect and installed and ran fine on my desktop....So im clueless they told me to make changes and resubmit but i cant fix something that i cant see something wrong...Anybody else had any problems like this?
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2011 05:16 Edited at: 28th May 2011 05:18
@Hodgey, I get 59 pretty much solid here. That's with the fire button held down and after it gets busy too. It drops to 58 occasionally. Reminds me of Space Invaders on the 2600 a little. There was a variation where the invaders were invisible until you shot one. Then you had a brief second to see them all. Was too tough really, once the invaders started galloping along, you needed perfect timing or it all went to hell. Your radar makes it much easier in this than that though. Runs nice and smooth anyway so far

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2011 07:05
Quote: "I get 59 pretty much solid here."

That's the kind of news I like to here, thanks for taking the time to test it DVader

I have just finished my menu so I should be posting a WIP thread shortly, just want to get a few more things done before I do so keep your eye's peeled.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 10:12:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 10:12:22