Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC App Developers Group

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like the next obvious step
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2011 01:19
Gratz on red belt!

Quote: "All Red Belt Software Developers get this icon on their profile ... along with one year annual membership to the Intel AppUp Developer Program."

Don't suppose they'll delay this until they start charging will they?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2011 09:08
Quote: "Gratz on red belt!"

Thanks!

Quote: "Don't suppose they'll delay this until they start charging will they?"

I don't know. Probably not...

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 16:32 Edited at: 11th May 2011 16:32
Hi all. Not posted on here for awhile as I got a little distracted by appup, and was going to wait for it to be released before I started another project. However as I expected (although I was still silly enough to wait a few months), it has fell back and may not be out for months yet.

I have been working on a re-imagining of GAC on the old 8-bit micro's. All is going well so far, apart from a little bug I noticed (only on netbook again, it works fine on my main machine). I have a graphics option in the editor that will allow basic drawing options. I doubt anyone who is making a game will use them a lot, (I would use a paint package and import afterwards) but they are there to make it more GAC like. However on the netbook, the graphics are not working! Same old problem for me and getting to the point where I am beginning to think DB and appup are just not good bed fellows. I will grab a screenie off my netbook and put one side by side so you can see the difference. In a nutshell it seems to be missing bits of the graphics. A line drawn ends up being a series of dots. I have no problems like this on the main computer

It is most disheartening, this is the 4th project now I have started for appup, and the 4th to exhibit odd bugs which I am a little unsure how to fix I have had peeps recommend changing the screen type with SET BITMAP FORMAT with past problems, but I had no difference whatsoever using any of the suggested flags at the time. I can't see it working on this project either, but will have a play on my next session. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I also get lines appearing on sprites I make by loading in an image, pasting it down and grabbing again as sprites. This last one is on a different project to my GAC project, but will probably become an issue later on when I use sprites within it more. Again, it only does it on the netbook, the main machine has no lines on the sprites at all

I am going to continue with this project for now, but may have to forget releasing it on appup if I can't suss out the problem.

Congrats on the mention and article in the newsletter baxslash, also red belt, although not having joined the appup scheme as of yet, can only guess it is a sales ranking thing
Oh anyone know if they have started charging to join appup yet?

Ok I have tried making 2 comparison screenshots, and lol, to my surprise, the netbook on is 1024x600 and the main machine's is 1680,1050. So this may be one reason it seems to work on the main and not the netbook. However I am a little confused as to how this is happening, as although I am setting the editor to full desktop to avoid task swapping issues, and the 1680,1050 res is the same as my main desktop, I am also setting the res at the start of the program to 1024x600. I am also only drawing and copying from the screen at 0,0,1024,400 or so in the main. Does this mean DB fakes a 1024 res on a real 1680 res screen? So the ending screensize if you use (printscreen) ends up way too big? The images I save in code are still at 1024,400, but if I grab them via print screen on the main machine they are 1680,1050. All very confusing lol.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 17:12
Quote: "Hi all. Not posted on here for awhile as I got a little distracted by appup, and was going to wait for it to be released before I started another project. However as I expected (although I was still silly enough to wait a few months), it has fell back and may not be out for months yet."

I assume you mean AppGameKit? Yes it is really annoying when something you're waiting for doesn't come quick enough

Quote: "Congrats on the mention and article in the newsletter baxslash, also red belt, although not having joined the appup scheme as of yet, can only guess it is a sales ranking thing "

Thanks DVader. Actually you get points for releasing apps as well as for posting comments on the forum. They're rewarding active contributers I think.

Quote: "Oh anyone know if they have started charging to join appup yet?"

Not yet and there's still no mention of it...

Quote: "All very confusing lol."

Yes I'm not sure I understand exactly how you're setting the display up but a look at your display code might help resolve the issue? Also are you using any plugins to make the lines etc? Could be a problem there too...

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 11th May 2011 17:59
Congrats on the red belt, baxslash! Seems you're getting an experienced karateka. Hehehheehhe.

Quote: "I'll try deleting the local highscore file then attempt to replicate the series events."

Did you get the chance yet to delete the local highscores file and reproduce teh error, baxslash? Thanks in advance.

Cheers

SLAYER RULES! YEAH, MAN!!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 18:05
Quote: "Did you get the chance yet to delete the local highscores file and reproduce teh error, baxslash? Thanks in advance."

I did get the chance but I didn't take it. Sorry, I need a personal organiser or something, my memory is getting worse by the day! I will one day be found walking down the road in my underwear with no idea where or who I am... again...

Send me an Email every day until I do it if you like I'm useless at remembering anything

I will really try to sort it out ASAP @The Slayer!

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 18:05
Quote: "In a nutshell it seems to be missing bits of the graphics. A line drawn ends up being a series of dots. I have no problems like this on the main computer"

Hi DVader. I'm pretty sure I know the error you mean, I've had it come up in a couple of my project now. I can't say I understand it completely but the issue seems to essentially be with DBP trying to "squash" your bitmap. To achieve this, it appears to simply miss out lines of pixels intemitently. This becomes particularly obvious with text and lines as a row of pixels missing can make a major different. If you don't believe me, try this code.

move the horizontal line up and down and see if you can make the line disappear! Windows desktop mode should show what I mean.

Now as for a solution.... The reason this happens, even when you've set it to the correct screen resolution, is, in my experience, because something like the taskbar at the bottom or the window title at the top is forcing DBP to compress its actual bitmap. Thus, the solution is either to go fullscreen or always go with a lower screen resolution which means that DBP duplicates lines rather than missing them out.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by full desktop though. If this means that there is no taskbar and no title bar (as your screenshots suggest), then I'm at a bit of a loss. However if you have either of these, I think this may be your problem. Even if you don't I'm sure you will find the issue to be related to this. Is there anything in your code that could be causing DBP to compress the size of your bitmap? I do hope this helps.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 18:10 Edited at: 11th May 2011 18:18
Well the project is well into 2000+ lines at the mo, but this little test prog I have done, which has the bug with the screen res. The missing parts of the lines the drawing program create are some sort of artifact from differing image sizes (I think).

If you run that using the settings listed at the top, you should have a nice fullscreen, measuring 1024,600 as far as you can see by the x and y values. Press space and it will save a bmp into the project folder. It should measure 1024,400, as that is the image size grabbed. On my system it is actually 1024,512. Also if you use the print screen button, and check out that, by pasting it into paint or whatever package you prefer, it will match your desktop, not the 1024x600 as expected. I never had any of these issues when monitors were all one aspect ratio Good old days lol.

I will see if I can get the graphics code into a little test prog, so you can see the missing lines that are created upon pasting the saved image back down. The lines are fine when you first draw them on the netbook, they just seem to be missing bits when reloading the image to continue editing, or on running of the game.

Edit - Oh I am using standard commands to draw lines and boxes at the moment, only the fill command utilizes matrix utils (saved me a bit of code), and that seems unaffected.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 18:17 Edited at: 11th May 2011 18:18
Quote: "Press space and it will save a bmp into the project folder. It should measure 1024,400, as that is the image size grabbed. On my system it is actually 1024,512."

Quote: "they just seem to be missing bits when reloading the image to continue editing, or on running of the game."

Sounds like it's the image saving code at fault. I think Lucas may have hit the nail on the head...

EDIT: I see you did post the code

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 18:28
Just edit this line:

...to this

...and you get an image that is correct (not stretched). It should look right when re-loaded too.

Not sure why it stretches the image in the first place but it's a possible fix...

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol, Lucas, that post came up before I posted my last little sample. Full desktop is preferable to desktop, because it indeed gets rid of or at least hides the taskbar. Using desktop always leaves it at the bottom. I am guessing it probably hides it because of this problem.
However full screen is not an option for me as my monitor does not run the 1024x600 res required. Or at least not in a ratio I could work with, it would look pretty horrible. I can use windows ok as a temporary solution possibly, I am pretty sure the graphics were saving correctly before I went full screen but it has been a week or so now . But ultimately I do want full screen to make it more authentic. It also means I have to recompile the game on the netbook before each test as it is difficult to use with part of the window marred with the taskbar.
I don't fancy making the res any lower than 1024x600 either. That already seems limiting for some of the options I have in mind.
Baxslash, the image saving is as simple as in the code above in the GAME project. Just a simple save image command. When I exit the graphic editing I save the screen image, on reloading in, it reloads the image file and pastes it back down in the window. I am only using standard DB commands for this, no plugins are used to save the image, only the fill command, and that works ok.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 18:59 Edited at: 11th May 2011 19:07
Lucas is right I think. I only get the problem on the netbook and that desktop res is 1024x600. So DB rescaling the image up would cause the effect. On my main it has a way larger screen size and so doesn't show the problem. Unless I have saved the game on the netbook and then load it on my main.
Still this seems like a bug to me, if you have set the res to 1024x600, it should grab 1024x600, not a fake representation of 1024x600 that is actually 1680x1050, or whatever your desktop res seems to be.
The fix you suggest probably will work, but I am fairly limited to 1024x600 as the basic res. All my code is set up for that res and would require a lot of work to change now. In fact what res could I use? 800x600 is not the correct ratio for fullscreen, and is still 600 high. I am a little stumped now.

Oh fulldesktop basically hides or removes the taskbar from view.

Edit - arrgh! The last post crashed here and I thought it had been lost, now my reposting has doubled up! Bah Sorry for that.
Edit - Lol a new post in between my crash. Baxslash, that doesn't really solve the problem unfortunately, why is the image saving at 512 in the first place? I only want 400 as max, because to use 512, would be to leave a mere 88 pixels for the text in the adventure engine. You would think if I grab an image of 1024x400 it would save it at that. Also have you tried the printscreen button to see the actual fullscreen image size?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 19:03
I'm only suggesting you grab a larger area not that you change the resolution. Does it matter if the area grabbed is larger that what you can see of it in the game?

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 19:16 Edited at: 11th May 2011 21:28
Yes, for the above reason and if I use a bigger image it will grab part of the editor text below the 1024x400 window (see first screenie of the actual editor). The window below is where the text is displayed and would have the garbage data of the top of the graphic editor underneath it.
You guys are too fast replying and all my posts are one step behind the conversation! lol. If you haven't already seen it, my post GAC remake explains what I am trying to create.

Edit - Perhaps the save image command will only save numbers divisible by 2? 256x256 or 512x256 or even 512x448 etc? I will see if that works better. If so I can hopefully stay close to the 400 mark with 384 possibly.

Edit - Nope seems to be 256 or 512, no in between allowed. 512 is just a tad big out of 600 total and 256 is too small I think I will have to cheat and grab the 512 as you have suggested, but clear the editor stuff away underneath first.

Edit - still get the same problem even using a 512 image. The lines don't save without the missing parts.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2011 00:55 Edited at: 12th May 2011 00:56
Quote: "I will one day be found walking down the road in my underwear with no idea where or who I am..."

Hum, I hope its your wife who'll find you wondering around, and not some strange looking alien.

Quote: "I will really try to sort it out ASAP @The Slayer!"

Okay, and thanks a lot, fella! I'll keep in touch more often.

Cheers

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2011 15:51
I know this is a tad late, but I want to join.
I have been working on a couple of games that I wanted to stick out there for the "community" and get into AppUp.

I have a "naughts and crosses" game called TicTacTwo. It's a 3D version of the classic game, with special backgrounds and I'm working on including a couple of "special bonus stages".

The other one is a random dungeon crawler. Can't figure out the "leveling up" of the character and the "load/save" aspect. Working title is called "Sci-Fi Dungeon Lite", loosely based on my paper-and-pen traditional sci-fi RPG.

I also need some playtesters, but I need some assistance.
Contact me here: aryu.limitless@yahoo.com for more info. Thanks.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2011 15:56
@Anitarquious I, hi. Sounds like you've been busy!

I'll happily test your games on my netbook although I'm struggling for time at the moment for personal reasons. I'll try to test when I get the opportunity though. Just post or send me a link to my email.

Also I've added you to the list in the first post!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions about my graphics problem. Just letting you know I have it fixed now after a long battle yesterday till about 2am.
The problem was caused by DB automatically scaling the image I was saving and reloading. So when I save a 1024x400 image it was actually saving a 1024x512. On reloading it was rescaling the image to fit and on certain pictures that meant lines were actually deleted. So after Baxslash mentioned changing it to 512 to match, I rewrote the code to save the final image as 1024x512, and did a bit of jiggery pokery to get rid of the extra graphic data at the bottom that was being saved.
I learned something new while doing this. DB full screen desktop fakes the res if you lower it beyond your actual desktop size. If you try the program I posted above and press printscreen, the image you will retrieve will match your desktop res, and not the res in the program. For most apps this will not really matter, but in this case it caused all sorts of complications.
Anyway, thanks again, as usual discussing it here has helped me stop, think and work around the problem. yesterday at about 12 oclock I was beginning to despair that it just wouldn't work whatever I tried. I always can get a little discouraged when I have worked for hours and hours on a bug and I seem to be making it worse . Today though it is back to a functional program Phew!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2011 18:05
Excellent news Lord Vader, the rebellion are crushed. Just sweep what's left of them under my new wookieskin rug

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 03:07
Having some issues with the game loop and need some advice.
I need to drop a copy of my TicTacTwo here for someone to assist me on my game loop. I have been having many many issues with this and really need to get this fixed before I can work on the \"bonus\" round(s).

Here it is...

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 10:51
I'll take a look. What kind of problems are you having exactly?

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 16:15
It's mostly getting the player's input and a confirmation, check for a win, a wait cycle for the computer's selection, check for a win, then once the loop goes through 4 turns and no one has won, player's last move (since player is always first).

The scoring happens once Player or CPU wins, or at the end of 4 1/2 turns, Cat wins. (Technically, it's 4 player/computer + 1 player = 9 turns.)

I'm also having issues with the loading of the "image" files. I simplified the program a bit by commenting out the "background image loading system" and hard-coding the only file I left in the ZIP file. "tt2_backE.png" is the file it's supposed to load.

I found a bit of code to ask the user to choose their screen resolution. I implemented it at the beginning of the program (GOSUB or something) and this will DISPLAY all of the MODES the computer and monitor can display (16-bit color and 32-but color)! I want to ensure this game works with netbooks; part of the original reason I implemented that selection system.

I wonder if I'm missing something from the program or overlooked something as simple as a double-quote or a comma somewhere, because it errors out on a line number "cannot load image at" a line where there's no LOAD IMAGE statement. Please help with this, too.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 16:22
I'll take a look and try to advise you as much as I can.

Quote: "I wonder if I'm missing something from the program or overlooked something as simple as a double-quote or a comma somewhere, because it errors out on a line number "cannot load image at" a line where there's no LOAD IMAGE statement. Please help with this, too."

Quite often the line given is one or two lines off. Try looking at the next couple of lines of code rather than the line it says...

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Anitarquious I, I have quickly tried your code but it crashes as soon as it starts with a "dark basic has stopped responding" error. Can't say why really, but it makes it rather difficult to test. Your file loading code looks correct to me as far as I can tell, without double checking all your file names. You might improve your player input by using the entry$() command rather than the old fashioned input statement.
I wonder what is causing it to crash here?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 18:02 Edited at: 13th May 2011 18:07
I get the same problem. It'll take a little studying in it's current format. You don't happen to have a version that will compile and run at least a little do you?

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2011 02:03 Edited at: 14th May 2011 02:05
Yes. I have one that will.
The only problem I'm having with it is that with multiple screens (not duplicated), I get an "Runtime Error 7008 - Object does not exist at line 239. Object Number Not Found: 1" error.

Object #1 is the first (upper left) box on the game screen.
It will compile without the multiple screens, and actually run... I just don't get it... >_<

Let me drop the entire project folder to your e-mail.

...... EDIT ......
Comment out the LOAD FX statements, as these don't quite work as I expected. This is just one of the things that has a tendency to screw things up-- I will have to remove it from the program once I figure out whether I'm going to need it or not. O.o

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2011 06:29
@DVader: The initial "resolution test" has to be an INPUT statement, otherwise I do not get the 'second digit' in the player input. The other issue is that it keeps giving me "object not found #1" errors and I cannot determine why. Please help.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Not sure what you mean exactly, you can get multiple key presses using entry$. I tried remming out the load fx command, and it loads now, but I only see spinning boxes until I hit space then it just seems to freeze. Your code is a little hard to follow, and I haven't the time at the second to spend too long on it. Is it supposed to be texturing the boxes after some sort of entry?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2011 23:28
@The Slayer,

I tried replicating the error and the best I can do is attach the local highscore file for you to try in your own version...

The entry for Pan comes out OK except with no name and the entry for baxslash comes out with a huge score and the name "Ash"...

See what it looks like on your machine and let me know how you get on.

Attachments

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2011 23:37
Hey guys, I was pointed over to this group for feedback about running an app on a netbook. I wanted to see if my game would even be viable to run on netbook specs, and if so I'll adjust my game to work at the lower resolution. My original thread is here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=185034&b=2

Also, I appear to be a little behind on things, can anyone give me the cliff notes on what this AppUp is all about? Is it something to do with AppGameKit?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2011 00:22 Edited at: 17th May 2011 00:24
Hi Phaelax, AppUp is just a place to sell games mainly designed for netbooks but for other pc's and devices too. Most of us are aiming our games at Windows 7 or XP (AppUp won't run on Vista).

I'll try your game on my netbook and let you know how it goes.

Oh, you can develop games for AppUp using AppGameKit but I'm not sure about the process. I'm sure there will be similarities...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2011 11:16
I'll test your game as well Phaelex

@ Baxslash: When AppGameKit is released you should start an AppGameKit developers group as well

A clever person solves a problem, a wise person avoids it - Albert Einstein
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2011 12:45
Quote: "When AppGameKit is released you should start an AppGameKit developers group as well"

I'd happily help but I'll have to wait and see if funds will stretch to whatever the AppGameKit will cost...

Hoping I can somehow afford it!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2011 16:13 Edited at: 17th May 2011 16:14
I am hoping the cost won't be that high. Considering your can get dragonfire sdk for just under $50, which is an existing mac based app maker. I realize AppGameKit supports other O/S's but if it means paying for each app it supports from the start I would give it a miss. I don't really consider a netbook and PC to be different devices, technically a netbook is a just slower version of a laptop. So really we are talking support for PC, MAC, iphone and bada ( I think). Some of the prices I have seen bandied around have been a little over the top imo. Dark Basic was £69.99 when it was first released. Most people didn't want to pay even that much, from my experience and would prefer to pay about £100 for Visual Basic.
We will see, but if it ends up being a silly price point, I will wait. Remember Pure basic has supported multiple O/S for years, albeit slightly differently to this system. But is still a reasonable price. I am sure TGC won't make the mistake of pricing this out of peoples reach.
The only comparison I can think of is unity, and at least with that you pay for the systems you want to support only.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2011 01:09
Quote: "I tried replicating the error and the best I can do is attach the local highscore file for you to try in your own version..."

Hey baxslash, thanks for testing. And sorry for not responding sooner. I'm quite busy with my adventure game for AppUp. Will be amasing.
But, it seems that you've uploaded the wrong highscores file. The one you uploaded is not from the local highscores. The local highscores file has only two parameters, the score and the name.
Could you please delete all teh files in the 'Data' folder, and also the files named 'highscores' and 'scoreboard', and try again to replicate the error?
Thanks again.

Cheers

WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2011 04:07
@DVader: That's right. It waits for a "space", then it allows for player input only-- but nothing beyond that (it fills in the 'crosses' for the player's input). No testing of wins. No other stuff.

I want to bring in four other types of bonus games, based on an older game show "Tic Tac Dough" bonus round. I wanted to use an Apple 2-style dragon, like in that show, to be the "bad space". Randomly placed "points" amounts-- 100, 150, 250, 500, 750 x 2, 1000, 1500, 5000 + the "dragon"-- and to allow for a "PASS" to 'bank the points" and continue on. High score tables and a possible "online leaderboard" would be cool, but I'd be happy for a high score table. Even a .INI file for the "graphic settings" would be awesome, too. (I think I know how to set that up. I'll research it.)

This is something I want to see if I can do, then possibly:
+ 2-player mode
+ online database of questions for the main game (for "quiz" version)
+ contest mode
+ + prizes like: online currency
+ + + Second Life
+ + + Entropia Universe
+ + + Nexon Card Codes
+ + + EVE Time Codes
+ + + Eris-Qred (for my MMORPG)
+ + + TGC Store Points
+ + + others...

Any ideas/suggestions for prizes or modes? Once this is available to AppUp, I will work on the next phase and iteration of the game...

Anyway, these are just ideas/thoughts for what may come next. I hope I can get this fixed and DONE! Thanks.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2011 11:20
Quote: "But, it seems that you've uploaded the wrong highscores file. The one you uploaded is not from the local highscores. The local highscores file has only two parameters, the score and the name.
Could you please delete all teh files in the 'Data' folder, and also the files named 'highscores' and 'scoreboard', and try again to replicate the error?"

I'll do that sorry, didn't realise there was another set of data for local highscores...

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 01:03
Hey Baxslash, I had a quick question regarding the msi installer. Do you simply name it "Setup"? I was just curious because I want my game to pass the validation, since its almost done.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 10:22
Quote: "Hey Baxslash, I had a quick question regarding the msi installer. Do you simply name it "Setup"? I was just curious because I want my game to pass the validation, since its almost done. "

Hi Cor, you can call it whatever you like. I tend to name mine specifically like this "TheLastStandAppUpV1.1.4.msi".

Need any Beta testing? What's the game?

Send any Beta test requests to: srholding@hotmail.co.uk and I'll test it from the AppUp Client for you

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 10:47 Edited at: 20th May 2011 10:48
Bugs bugs bugs.
I decided to rewrite the framework of Shadowcast 2 because I made a huge noob mistake.
Ahh well, all part of the learning process.
It is looking real sweet these days, but I ran into a bug I can't seem to squash in the newly rewritten character creation.
I hope very soon I can throw a quick demo up, just the basics of character creation and walking around the main city in the game, possibly even the combat, the combat code from Shadowcast 1 should be easy enough to impliment and rewrite to be realtime. (Shadowcast 1 used input which sucks but for realtime games as you know.) Just need to figure out a way to make the combat realtime and still be able to use inventory and special moves and all that.
Ohh well, should have a basic demo out soon for you good folks to try.
And yes, I'm sticking with text, it's what I know and I'm apparently too big a noob to be able to understand 2d.

EDIT: Great big congratulations on the red belt!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 11:00
Thanks (on RB)!

Have you looked at using "entry$()"?

Just use "clear entry buffer" before getting a new string...

Quick example:

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 11:20 Edited at: 20th May 2011 11:21
Yeah that was the rewrite, converting input to entry$.
Infact, the snippet I ended up using was written by you.
It's the d3d input with the rounded box, which works like a charm. I just needed to rewrite a tiny bit, to allow for the backspace key.
My problem was when I got to the last step of character creation I was apparently clearing before the user had the chance to input a command and thus only the textbox I use, and the gui was showing with no input box.
I just squashed the bug.
It's funny, every time I post about a problem, I go back to the code again, take a short look and solve it right away, maybe I should post about bugs in my code more often eh?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 11:50
Quote: "It's funny, every time I post about a problem, I go back to the code again, take a short look and solve it right away, maybe I should post about bugs in my code more often eh?"

Yes, I often find that verbalising a problem can make the solution more apparent. Not just in programming either ;P

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 22:57 Edited at: 20th May 2011 23:00
Hey, thanks for the response. I am just going around and tuning and fixing some bugs on it right now, I will let you know when I fix some things, thanks for the offer. I am just trying to collect all the knowledge I can about submitting so my ten months of work doesn't get stuck on validation lol. Also I have another question for you. If the game crashes when control alt delete is pressed (because of the media loss problem), will this cause a fail in validation?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2011 10:42
Yes that can cause a fail in validation. If the game runs at a decent rate you would be better compiling it at fulldesktop, that way it looks the same but doesn't loose media when focus is lost. Essentially it runs windowed but the taskbar and window border are hidden.

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2011 19:54
Thanks for the help. I compiled it fulldesktop however it still crashes when I Control alt delete.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2011 05:21
Don't use that command sequence. Most stuff when compiling in DBPro will do that... >_<

As far as I know, there may be a way to eliminate that command sequence from your game-- or circumvent the 'event' to do something else in the game-- but I'm not sure.

It's a layer of swapping that 'actual' Windows event with a 'pre-scripted' game-driven event to force a different scenario-- instead of activating the Windows Task Manager.

Some viruses do this to screw with Windows, but there may be a way to do it without killing <ctrl+alt+del> completely from the Windows tasks. (I read somewhere there's a DLL that can be used to make that particular control sequence do something else in your game-- it's been a while since I used it and may have only been for WinXP-- but it worked for a couple of demos I did in C++ about 8 years back. I always try to never use that sequence in anything I create anymore, since the DLL when included made AVAST and AVG just freak out as it thought the demos I built were viruses at the time.

Just a little food for thought...

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2011 05:33 Edited at: 23rd May 2011 04:20
Alright thanks for the information. I will stop worrying about this problem and worry about more important stuff :...I have seem to ran into one more roadblock. When i create my msi installer and change all the upgrade information it has issues updating the previous installation of my game.

The Problem is that when I run the installer it runs normally and it seems like it has updated correctly to the new version, however when i run the game it is still the old version. Any help or information on updating the msi/game would be greatly appreciated.
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2011 05:01
At the very least, just include a little 'warning' blurb in the instructions to use <ctrl+tab> to swap back to the Desktop if you need to, or <Esc> to hop out of the game (if you intend on leaving that in the game).

Just a suggestion... LOL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 16:52:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 16:52:01