Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC App Developers Group

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2011 08:29
@Cor, I'll take a look tonight if I get the chance. Sounds like they don't know the problem themselves!

In the meantime I would search the validation forum (on the AppUp Developer Site) for the same error and if you can't find it post the question there too. The team there will often find a solution for you.

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2011 09:11 Edited at: 28th May 2011 09:12
alright thanks baxslash. This one has really stumped me because I did even more tests because they told me laptops are different from desktops.....so I got 3 laptops and installed it and it ran fine from those tests hahahaha..... I also started another beta test so if your interested in seeing "the issue" I can invite you.
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2011 09:33
@Cor
This may be related too that old Win7 with SP1 bug with DBPro version pre 7.7 RC3
I am still waiting for the release of version 7.7 so I can play around and code stuff again with DBPro. If you're not already, maybe you could try compiling with the latest 7.7 RC7.

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2011 09:46 Edited at: 28th May 2011 09:53
Alright thanks for the info mr_d. I had no idea there was a bug with that. I will do a large backup of all my dbpro things before I upgrade, as upgrades generally tend to ruin my hard work...
EDIT: I just emailed the support tech I am working with and asked if the validator had windows 7 service pack 1 installed.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2011 12:05
Cor, invite me on srholding@hotmail.co.uk and I'll test it for you. I'm running Windows 7 but not sure about the SP, I'll check and get back to you once I've tested it.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2011 14:43
Hey guys, just make a WIP post about Space Evaders (I think I'm going to stick with that name Baxslash ). Hope there is enough info for your newsletter article Baxslash, if you're using it (you don't have to). Feel free to check it out

A clever person solves a problem, a wise person avoids it - Albert Einstein
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2011 20:04 Edited at: 28th May 2011 23:50
I sent the beta test invite baxslash, thanks for your help.

EDIT: Alright some good news finally it is in fact related to win 7 service pack 1 thanks mr_d for pointing this out. I am uploading the new version and will do a new beta test thanks for your help. Also baxslash I can now send you the stuff for the newsletter(if its not too late)
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2011 08:34
Hey baxslash,
I sent the newsletter stuff for my game to the email(srholding@hotmail.co.uk)
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2011 15:19
Thanks Cor but I think it might have to go in next month's now. I already sent it off. I'll take a look ASAP at the Beta version of your game.

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2011 19:17
Thats fine, I was a little slow at sending you the info because my game got rejected. I am unsure if it will still let you beta test because I ended the test and submitted it for validation. I hope it passes this time
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2011 19:52
Quote: "Thats fine, I was a little slow at sending you the info because my game got rejected. I am unsure if it will still let you beta test because I ended the test and submitted it for validation. I hope it passes this time"

I have to admit I was rather impatient getting my games through validation too. Didn't prove to be a problem though

Good luck!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2011 10:31
Hey Baxslash, I only just got your email which you sent to me 5 days ago!!! I've been very busy developing my game inorder to have something to show aswell as juggling the other responsibilities in my life. I hope it isn't too late but completely understand if it is.

On a positive note, the time I spent not checking my email I was able to create a menu as well as implement a scoring system with a local highscores list.

Quote: "I already sent it off."

Double blow - I am really behind aren't I. Oh well, next newsletter then

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2011 10:44 Edited at: 30th May 2011 10:48
Maybe I'm having a slow day but...

Quote: "Place the appupplugin.dll in the Compiler\plugins-user folder"

I have the 1.1.1 SDK for Win C/C++ installed,and DBP 7.6. Where do I find this file?

[EDIT] - found it! Here it is again for reference...

http://files.thegamecreators.com/appup/AppUpForDarkBasicPro.rar
http://files.thegamecreators.com/appup/AppUpForDarkBasicPro.zip
http://files.thegamecreators.com/appup/AppUpForDarkGDK.rar
http://files.thegamecreators.com/appup/AppUpForDarkGDK.zip

http://files.thegamecreators.com/appup/APPUP-MyCoolGame.rar
http://files.thegamecreators.com/appup/APPUP-MyCoolGame.zip

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2011 12:24 Edited at: 30th May 2011 12:26
you beat me to it!

anyway, here's a link to the actual post from the other thread that announced this:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=166752&b=1&msg=2094692#m2094692
Please be aware that although the AppUp SDK is now at v1.1.1, the appupplugin.dll is built against version v1.0 of the SDK only; although from all accounts this seems to be still OK at this time as no reports of validation rejections have been reported...cheers.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2011 10:39 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2011 17:27
Hey Guys, check out my new MinimalMSIMaker tool I created to help with the creation of an MSI install file.

It's posted in the WIP board:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=185508&b=8

I'd appreciate it if people could test this out to see if it works as expected and does the job properly. Cheers.

UPDATE: made a small update to the readme.txt file on where to find one of the dependent files. Uploading a new setup file. Sorry.

UPDATE 03/06/2011: Uploaded a new update (version 0.03) with the improvement of being able to select whether to include the DirectX Merge Module file or not.
Also added simple logging of the WiX pre-processing and compilation steps to log the files WiX_Step1.log and WiX_Step2.log respectively.
Please re-download from the original WIP post.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2011 10:47
Nice mr_d...

I'll take a look!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 10:06
Hey Baxslash, thanks for the review and I will work on variety in my game .

I've just updated Space Evaders so could those with netbooks test it. You can find the latest update in my WIP thread. On my netbook I get around 55fps in gameplay but only 10fps in the menu (which I'm working on, I was able to improve it but apparently it still isn't enough) so I'll be interested in hearing your results.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Tested your new version. Same speed as before, made a post in your WIP. Something is amiss with the menu screen though. It should easily run as fast as your game. Text may be causing it, I would change those to sprites for a start. Even my main machine only runs it at 45fps and it is a quad core with 8 gig of ram, but admittedly only a geforce 7900GT which is the weakest part Still it should run a simple menu like that no probs.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 14:37
Thanks for taking the time to test my game DVader. Yeah I do think text is the problem. I will probably have an updated version by tomorrow, give me 24 hours.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 15:24 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2011 15:24
Easy to test just rem it out quickly . Here is a picture of my current appup hopeful, Space rescue, basically a version of Lunar Lander. I'm still messing around with the gameplay at the min, so far it runs at 59-60 fps on my netbook, and am hoping it stays that way. I am also working on a Adventure making Engine called GAME, but screenies of that are a little boring lol. I think Space Rescue has more chance of completion in the near future though.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 22:15
Quote: "I've just updated Space Evaders so could those with netbooks test it. You can find the latest update in my WIP thread. On my netbook I get around 55fps in gameplay but only 10fps in the menu (which I'm working on, I was able to improve it but apparently it still isn't enough) so I'll be interested in hearing your results."

I'll take a look ASAP.

Have you tried using the D3D plugin by Cloggy? Text is much faster using that plugin...

Looking nice DVader! I'll be interested in progress on your Space Rescue game.

I have a new version of the "AppUpDll" which I've compiled from some code provided by Lee Bamber. I had to download the full DBP SDK as well but I have now successfully compiled using the latest version of the AppUp SDK (V1.1.1) so I'll be providing a new version of the DLL soon.

I'm hoping to add in a few extras to make a "AppUp Utility" dll which will have a few additional functions such as "GeoLocation" to give a location of a user using GPS (if available) and http location (if connected to the internet). Also I'm thinking of trying to add in the mOcean advertising component as a more "AppUp" way of advertising in game and possibly a set of twitter functions.

For the time being I'll be adding some simple stuff such as the new 'Upgrade' feature of the SDK allowing a user to click a button in your free app which will open the AppUp client on the relevant page for your full version ready to purchase.

As the version Lee provided does not include the password protection (for the protection of those using the older version) it will be a simplified set of commands.

The older version still works but I was hoping to get up to speed on creating dll's anyway and this will provide some additional commands for AppUp developers from the latest SDK.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 23:35
Thanks Baxslash, no I haven't tried using D3D by cloggy but I think I'll go with Dvader's suggestion and replace the text with sprites.

The appup utility is looking like a very handy addition, can't wait to see it in action!!!

@ DVader
Your game looks pretty fun and the graphics aren't too bad either, they're better than mine anyway. Will you be posting a demo or WIP thread shortly?

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 04:25 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2011 04:31
I was going to post a video, but using fraps, I get all the screen grabbed including the parts you can't see, so it looks a bit of a mess. The people draw some nice funky patterns at the bottom though lol. I will probably have to go with a demo only, unless I can work out a way to get a decent vid.
Still, it is not in my opinion ready yet, although it is fairly playable, I have a few bugs to iron out (do they ever end? lol), and have to work on the graphics a little more. The main ship needs a bit more work, and the mothership is still very basic. I also need to decide on my level structure. At the moment it is just one level that gets progressively harder. I think I will be adding a few different layouts for more variety, but am leaving it till last as graphics are my most hated part of games making, well unless I have a bug I cannot fix in code lol. I am however getting to the stage where I need to get drawing to make much more progress. The game was paused for nearly 4 months because I had to draw men running lol. It took me about 2 hours in the end, but my animation skills in 2D are nonexistent and it was a chore.
Oh, D3D is a lot faster than DB's text commands, but, I have found once installed, even if you do not use it, you will have to include the required dll's anyway, when sending out any game made in DB. I could be wrong, but I have had several people who cannot test my projects, because those dll's were missing. I never thought to include them, because I never used one of the plug-ins commands. As you say, for the purposes of a menu screen sprites will suffice and simplify the process.
Thanks Hodgey, the graphics will be better when complete, not massively I doubt, they actually look better in motion (in the main lol), than they do in a screenshot. The main problem I have at the min is I did such a good job of the asteroids, the other graphics look bland So will have to supe those up a little.
@baxslash, that sounds like complicated stuff, but useful. GPS use? That would indeed be very useful I'm sure for the right app. Netbook use though? Surely no netbooks support this as standard yet? Or do you mean AppGameKit?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 11:22
Quote: "@baxslash, that sounds like complicated stuff, but useful. GPS use? That would indeed be very useful I'm sure for the right app. Netbook use though? Surely no netbooks support this as standard yet? Or do you mean AppGameKit?"

I'll be using some existing C++ SDK's to try and get this stuff working. Mostly the code doesn't look very complicated and you can use a windows SDK file to use available hardware for getting your location but I'll be starting simple as I said before I get too heavily into this stuff!

As for netbooks using GPS I doubt it will be very long if they aren't already. Anyway you can buy GPS dongles I think already. The plugin should detect the hardware if available and if not it uses your ISP to locate you.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Still a cool option, but obviously if a game relied on it it would limit your market at the mo. With so many phones supporting it etc I can't see many buying a dongle for their netbook anymore. Like you say they will probably introduce it as standard in them soon if they already haven't. Will be nice to have the option anyway!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 16:34
Like I said it would only use that option if it was available anyway...

Getting ahead of myself anyway. I'm still working on the simple additions to start with, mainly the upgrade button.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, that sounds good to me. Having a free version and a paid version of a game is a good way to generate interest imo. Let us know when you work out a way of having an item shop Where you can sell items for your game aka many mmos out there
How's your sequel to Last Stand going btw?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 19:44
I'm working on other games while I build up the levels. Not going bad actually, thanks for asking! I'll post some more screenies soon but I want them nearly finished before I do. They're a bit bare at the moment...

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I liked the look of your demo a while back, Alone in the Dark style games (res evil was a copy of those originally, although a better copy ) have always been a fave of mine so I always like to see people doing similar games. I tried one a few years ago called Antimorph, in DB classic before DB pro was released. DB Pro actually killed the project because I wanted to convert it over and it didn't work in it It was pretty good for the time and a lot of people commented on the graphics. Different forums, different times ah, real game tools those were the days! Never used skyboxes as you are though, it was all one big level and ran ok as long as your computer was as fast as mine. Which at the time, was a 333mhz PIII I believe, with a voodoo 2 12MB (!!) 3D card and Matrox Millenium 2D card lol.

Enough reminiscing, I'm sure Last Stand 2 will take a lot of work. If you need help with any basic graphics such as furniture and such I would be happy to help, although I am not the greatest artist on the planet. A game like this will need plenty of media, and I would imagine, even if you have every DB media pack available, you are still short of items.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 00:41
Quote: "If you need help with any basic graphics such as furniture and such I would be happy to help, although I am not the greatest artist on the planet. A game like this will need plenty of media, and I would imagine, even if you have every DB media pack available, you are still short of items."

Thanks DV, I absolutely will take you up on that offer, and anyone else who would like to get involved

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 00:52
Quote: "and anyone else who would like to get involved"

Well, you know how to reach me, so if I can help with anything, just ask.

Cheers

RULES, MAN! YEAH, SLAYER!!
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Just let me know what sort of stuff you are after, and I will do what I can.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 13:01
Hey guys, just updated my game and I believe I fixed that low frame rate issue in the menu, DVader, your suggestion worked . Unfortunately, I've had to change the name of my game because, and I probably should have done this earlier, I punched the name "Space Evaders" into google and there are, believe it or not, a couple of games already with the same name.

So after much deliberation (5 minutes) I have decided to name the game "Radar Invaders". Now, before I update my WIP post I would like to know if anyone has any issues with this name, mainly you Lucas as your game is called "RADAR". Is "Radar Invaders" too close to your game's name and would you like me to differentiate it a bit more? If it is I will gladly change my current game name

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Will have a look, you updated it it in your wip I assume? As far as names go what about Stealth Invaders off the top of my head?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 20:42
Quote: "Well, you know how to reach me, so if I can help with anything, just ask."

Quote: "Just let me know what sort of stuff you are after, and I will do what I can."

Thanks guys! I'll take a look at what I want to achieve and let you know

Yeah, I didn't check if any of those game names I thought of already existed... probably should have said!

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 20:45
@baxslash
Thanks for the nice review! Really appreciated

@Hodgey
I have no problem with radar invaders as a name if you want to use that. Your game looks great so far but I'm not too worried that people will muddle it with mine!

Work still going on RADAR. Exams followed by holiday slowing progress but I'll be sure to post here when the next beta's ready. Rewritten collision system should be the main change.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 21:58
Quote: "I was going to post a video, but using fraps, I get all the screen grabbed including the parts you can't see, so it looks a bit of a mess."

Here's a good and free screen recording program, if you're still interested to render a vid of your game.

@baxslash
I like the sound of those features you're talking about for the netbooks (GPS, ISP, mOcean, etc...). Hope you can get them to work.
Btw, I have a few little questions regarding my wip adventure/puzzle game for the netbook, which I hope you can answer.
First, is it possible to play wmv files on a fresh netbook? Does it have media player installed as default?
And, secondly, do you know of any restrictions a game for AppUp has, regarding to the amount of memory it takes? I'm not sure yet how much MB the adventure game will occupy, but I'm guessing it could be between 300 and 400 MB (or even more).
Could you ask on the AppUp forums if there's a limit on gamesize? Thanks in advance.

Cheers

RULES, MAN! YEAH, SLAYER!!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 22:26 Edited at: 4th Jun 2011 22:34
Quote: "First, is it possible to play wmv files on a fresh netbook? Does it have media player installed as default?"

I guess that'll depend on the OS but mine did.

Quote: "do you know of any restrictions a game for AppUp has, regarding to the amount of memory it takes? I'm not sure yet how much MB the adventure game will occupy, but I'm guessing it could be between 300 and 400 MB (or even more)."

I'm not sure there is one actually but I'll look into it.

EDIT: Looks like it's around 2Gb, here's the relevant thread (BrianDevArch knows his stuff):
http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/node/1316

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 00:51
@ Lucas
Quote: "I have no problem with radar invaders as a name if you want to use that. Your game looks great so far but I'm not too worried that people will muddle it with mine!"

Thanks Lucas, I just wanted to make sure

WIP has been updated.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 00:22 Edited at: 7th Jun 2011 09:16
Hi chaps,

my first dip into the waters of AppUp, it's coming close to finished...

[LINK NOW CORRECT] http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=185660&b=8&p=0#m2210655

Let me know what you think and if it plays ok on Netbooks.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 01:20
Will do! Looks like fun

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I was looking to put a game or two on AppUp, but they mention a $99 yearly fee, but the service is free for now. Anyone know when that yearly fee is supposed to kick in?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 11:58
I haven't heard any mention of them starting it up but you could always publish your games through TGC or another AppUp developer for a cut of the profits. I have offered this service in the past but nobody has taken me up on it yet.

TGC have a great reputation on AppUp and would probably be a better publisher for you if you are worried about the fees kicking in.

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 21:06
well my app was published today hopefully it will do well!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 21:18
Congratulations Cor! What was it called? I'll add it to the list of published Apps.

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 22:40
it is called Chicken Poppers
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 22:57
Of course, sorry I forgot!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 00:23
@ Batvink, looks like a great game, will test it ASAP

P.S I think you need to change the link

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 01:09
The link to Batvink's game should be this one:
Pile Up!

It's addictive, I warn you now...

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
The link sent me to a post forum message screen? Obviously something wrong there.. Will have a look at it off the new links

Anyone interested in an old RTS project I started for appup heres a link to a video I have posted.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=185556&b=1

I have found a newer, although not quite up to date version since I posted it. But as the video took 3 hours to upload, not gonna bother updating yet lol.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 00:35:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 00:35:26