Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC App Developers Group

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Have had a look at the ADG arcade post. Not sure what if any game to do at the min. I take it from what I have read, that you are getting all the code together and then compiling it all as one game?
If you are you will probably find the bug that is stopping me continuing with my shooter project, as it is related to the code size. At some point it will simply fail to compile with an obsure error message. Myself and a few others have fell foul of it so far. I just hope it can be addressed, as the limit at the moment means you can only do really quite simple games using AppGameKit at the moment.
I was thinking of rewriting my missile command game over but I see you already have that covered. I also though of a snake game, but that is covered too, and also the snake game by Rick Vanner is out so no real need to do another one.
I could possibly make a defender clone. I don't think anyone has done anything like that.

How big is the game code so far? Out of curiosity?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 18:21
Quote: "Have had a look at the ADG arcade post. Not sure what if any game to do at the min. I take it from what I have read, that you are getting all the code together and then compiling it all as one game?
If you are you will probably find the bug that is stopping me continuing with my shooter project, as it is related to the code size. At some point it will simply fail to compile with an obsure error message. Myself and a few others have fell foul of it so far. I just hope it can be addressed, as the limit at the moment means you can only do really quite simple games using AppGameKit at the moment."

I'm hoping a solution will present itself... one normally does

Quote: "I was thinking of rewriting my missile command game over but I see you already have that covered. I also though of a snake game, but that is covered too, and also the snake game by Rick Vanner is out so no real need to do another one.
I could possibly make a defender clone. I don't think anyone has done anything like that."

A defender clone would be a great addition! Just say on the Arcade thread if you decide to join in

Quote: "How big is the game code so far? Out of curiosity?"

The menu code is around 500 (including empty lines)
My missile command code is around 680 (including empty lines)

I believe it's around 2000 when the problem starts right?

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 19:12 Edited at: 6th Sep 2011 19:35
That's in my project, but it depends on the code used. I imagine it is more likely a character count limit (lines can be as long as you wish, and I could save a lot of lines by making really long ones). However I have heard just 103 lines of print("a") will cause the same error (102 work). I haven't tested this myself though, so this is from another posters trials. So character count may not be the issue.
I'll have a play and see what I can come up with regarding a defender game. Firstly, I'll have to play it a little to remember exactly how it works. It's been a long time since I played it on my Atari 2600. Although I do remember the basics.
Lee posted on my WIP and said he would make it a high priority fix, so hopefully the aforementioned bug won't be an issue for too long.

Edit - I noticed a frogger pic in your menu demo. I might have a go at that instead. As my current game is similar to defender in that it is a side shooter, I might prefer to try something different.

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello again guys, I returned from my short holidays

And a finally finished my last project ( extra large project :S )

Now I'm working in a new game for Intel App

A new versión of my free game, Cañon Pirata, but now with online ranking and 3-D technology.

I will send invitations to beta testing ok?

Sorry for I not being in the forum these last few weeks. :S

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 11:42
Hi Jordi! Welcome back

Look forward to seeing the new project! A lot of us are working on a community project at the moment in AppGameKit, if you're interested you can take a look here:
ADG Arcade!

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi baxslash

Interesting idea, I will taking a look

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi baxslash,

I decided if you want we can work on a different game project or one your currently on. I'm ready to work on something with a team. I know we can get any game done. I just finally made a multiplayer game of pong.

I mean pong is a simple game but the multiplayer without a plugin wasn't. I studied for weeks to figure it out. here is the link http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=189232&b=5

Here is a game I made for a compo in 48 hours. I had some good comments from some people who played it in the chatroom. Here is the link
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2011/08/26/smart-fly-the-game-that-was-suppose-to-have-been-in-the-ld-compo/

So when do you want to start baxslash anytime is good for me.

darkvee
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 15:54
@ Darkvee: The current project TGC ADG is working on now is ADG Arcade where you are welcome to contribute in anyway. In short it is going to be a package of minigames and all profits are donated to a worthy cause.

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 16:52 Edited at: 10th Sep 2011 16:52
I don't have AGk though. I want to get it though.

darkvee
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 20:14
Wow, you have been busy! Ludum dare and a new game

I'd love to do a game with you but as you can see I'm juggling quite a large project at the moment, I don't know what the limitations are on the newly released free demo of AppGameKit but you could have a go at something using that and I doubt TGC would mind you sharing the code for the ADG Arcade game (it is for charity after all so not a commercial venture). The language is very similar to DBP and I haven't heard of anyone finding it hard to 'cross over'...

If you're planning on getting it anyway it might be a good opportunity to try the demo version out?

We'd love to have you on board!

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 02:46 Edited at: 11th Sep 2011 02:47
Hi guys,

Ya that sounds good baxslash.

How many games are you making for the this pack?

I have a question baxslash when you submit a game to intel appup they want you to get a signed certified thing. However how much do they charge you to get it signed? I uploaded a demo of Colors! so people can try it out free but I need some signed certificate thing.

So what is everyone making for this pack? I might make a game or convert my smart fly game to agk.

darkvee
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 02:59
Quote: "How many games are you making for the this pack?"

Currently we don't have a limit but just counting there are about 7-8 games in development so I'd say there is room for a few more.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 10:12 Edited at: 11th Sep 2011 11:58
Quote: "I have a question baxslash when you submit a game to intel appup they want you to get a signed certified thing. However how much do they charge you to get it signed? I uploaded a demo of Colors! so people can try it out free but I need some signed certificate thing. "

The certificate is still free at the moment, there's a section in the guide in the first post on how to get it and set it up. It's a bit of a pain but not so bad. I made a little utility to help apply the certificate once you have it. I think I put a link in the first post for that too.

Edit: link to utility: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=177920&b=1&msg=2244449#m2244449

EDIT 2: I've added the code and the executable utility to the first post as well!

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 01:04 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 01:05
Hi baxslash

That sounds great if it is. I will use your app to put the certificate on thanks

darkvee
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 11:45
If you have any problems contact me re: your email...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 15:33
Hi all,

We have discussed this earlier and made the decision that the previously named "TGC AppUp Developers Group" should be re-named "TGC App Developers Group" to allow us to expand into the new markets made available by AGK. In line with this TheSlayer has generously updated the logo / banner and signature images which are linked in the first post of this thread (and the new thread)!

I hope you are all happy with this slight change which will also be reflected in future newsletter articles.

Cheers,
baxslash

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 22:41
ADG sig testing.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 00:39 Edited at: 15th Sep 2011 07:18
ADG Sig testing...

I hope you guys like it, especially you The Slayer and Baxslash.

Edit- new sig courtesy of The Slayer

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 08:06
Quote: "I can do graphics. I can do some pretty good graphics, actually! I can do sounds sounds as well. I'm not so good with music. I can think of some really good ideas for games, just not for the names of the games. I'm terrible at coming up with names. Although I occasionally think of a really good one...

Just tell me if you want me to make any kind of graphics and how big to make them and stuff like that.

EDIT: If you need sounds or ideas just ask as well."

^^^ That's from one of my earlier posts - just wanted to let you guys know I'm still available for that stuff

Clonkex

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 09:36
Clonkex you should recite that post in the ADG Arcade WIP, you may get a few customers .

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 11:25
Quote: " just wanted to let you guys know I'm still available for that stuff"

Thanks Clonkex! I agree with Hodgey, there might be a few takers on the ADG Arcade thread. There are around 10 games being made now!

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 18:19 Edited at: 15th Sep 2011 21:17
@Jordi
On the move a bit at the moment so only just managed to get a strong enough internet connection to download your game. I've just given it a quick test and once again, it's very impressive. However as always, I have a few comments.

Firstly on the main menu, you need to change "Languajes" to "Languages". The instructions read well. However I wonder if you should have a check box so that the user doesn't have to see them every time after they've read them.. Just a thought.

I think I spotted a slight graphical glitch in that the biggest waves seem to give you a glimpse under the sea but it was so quick that I may have been mistaken. The other graphics were once again excellent. I loved the sea-gulls.

The two biggest things I noticed were these. Firstly, when I managed to sink all the boats, it forced me to wait until the timer ran out which was quite a long time. Would it be possible for it to automatically end once the boats are all sunk? The other thing was that when I downloaded it, the local highscores were already populated with lots of results by "NUREND" of varying values. Presumably these were your test values that you forgot to remove before the final compile. I think you'd need them to start at a set level of 0 because at the moment, I'm right down the bottom of my local highscores despite being the only person to have played on this machine :p.

That's all I noticed. Once again great work. Hope that helps.

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Lucas,

Thanks for play the game

Quote: "Firstly on the main menu, you need to change "Languajes" to "Languages"."

An orthographic error again. Oh my god! Thanks for catching it.

Quote: "the local highscores were already populated with lots of results by "NUREND" of varying values"

Well, At the start of the game, I load a random local scores because I thought the user would like to see some initial values, but it may be best to leave the values ​​to zero, as you suggest.

It's easy to make this changes.

Thanks again Lucas for your help.

Have you been able to test the 3-D effect?

Now I'm working in a new AppUp game with this effect and I need to know if players likes it.

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Other thing Lucas,

Quote: "Would it be possible for it to automatically end once the boats are all sunk?"

About the time wait, when you sunk all the boats, you pass to the next level.

This game is infinite, only finish when you leave the game ( with ESC) or you run out of time. At new levels, you get less time until they finally lose.

Are you sure that all the boats were sunk?

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 21:11 Edited at: 15th Sep 2011 22:23
Quote: "Well, At the start of the game, I load a random local scores because I thought the user would like to see some initial values, but it may be best to leave the values ​​to zero, as you suggest."

It's a nice idea and it certainly feels more natural in that it means that it's only when you get a genuinely good score that you climb the highscores. However my concern is that as it is very unusual, users may be quite confused so it might be best to stick with the traditional 0s approach.

Quote: "Have you been able to test the 3-D effect?"

I'm afraid not. As I say, I'm on the move at the moment and don't have access to much stuff but if I get access to a printer or see a set of the 3D glasses somewhere, I'll pick them up and have a go. It sounds really good so I'm keen to try it out.

Quote: "Are you sure that all the boats were sunk?"

I thought they were lol but I've just played it again (560 points!!) and it worked fine so I must have missed one last time. False alarm lol.

EDIT: Thanks for the new sig images. I've updated mine although it seems to be a little bit temperamental. Sometimes when I load the page I get the new sig, sometimes I get some big mediafire error. If other people keep getting the error instead of the sig, I'll change back to the old one until mediafire sorts itself out. Oh and baxslash, have you noticed how small your banner sig is appearing now?

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Guys,

Can everyone tell me their game there making and the deadline this need to be done in? I'm planning on making one. However I don't won't it to be like a clone of someone elses.

darkvee
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 05:54
Quote: "Can everyone tell me their game there making and the deadline this need to be done in? I'm planning on making one. However I don't won't it to be like a clone of someone elses."

There's a list on the first post of the ADG Arcade WIP thread.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 11:40
There's no set deadline as such but I may set one if it goes on too long. Everyone seems pretty motivated at the moment.

Actually I may need to split the project into several volumes if it gets much bigger!

Let me know what you decide on and I'll add it to the list

DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 16:55
Hi Folks

I have a few questions about the Appup store. I know I could ask about it there but thought I would get the stright poop here. If I submet a game there do they have full rights. Can I sell it anywhere eles like on my own web site or where ever.

Thanks

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 17:31
Hi DennisW, you retain full ownership of your game and can sell it or give it away anywhere else you like.

DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 20:58
Thanks baxslash I read all the fine print and when I get done I still don't know anything. I open a signin but thats as far as I have gotten so far still figuring out AGK. Thanks again

Dennis_W

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 22:26
No problem, just ask if you have any more questions.

There is a lot of information on the first post in this thread that you might find useful.

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 19:55 Edited at: 20th Sep 2011 20:51
Hi guys,

Sorry for my delay,I left without internet these last days .

@Lucas,
Quote: "I thought they were lol but I've just played it again (560 points!!) and it worked fine so I must have missed one last time. False alarm lol."

Ok, thanks Lucas, and very great score
You can see the hi-scores in the my web http://www.nurendsoft.es/game/pirata

Quote: "However my concern is that as it is very unusual, users may be quite confused so it might be best to stick with the traditional 0s approach."

Yes I change it and now I re-upload again the game.

Thanks and I hope you can test the 3-D effect

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
I updated successfully the game, "Cañon Pirata 3D App" on Intel AppUpp

You can download the game again before I sent it to validation?

Thanks

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 12:10
That's good news Jordi, you should write an article about it on the ADG website. I'm happy to help (as others are I'm sure) if you want it.

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Hodgey

I send you an invitation to beta-test, ok?

Write an article on ADG website? Good idea

I need user and pass to write in ADG, right?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 15:06
Quote: "I send you an invitation to beta-test, ok?"

That's fine

Quote: "I need user and pass to write in ADG, right?"

Yep and you can make one right here. For consistency and so we know who you are could you please use your TGC forum name? Thanks Jordi.

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "For consistency and so we know who you are could you please use your TGC forum name?"

Of course

Hodgey, what is your email in Intel AppUp for I send you the invitation? Your public email is not valid.

Thanks

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 15:31 Edited at: 21st Sep 2011 15:45
Quote: "Hodgey, what is your email in Intel AppUp for I send you the invitation? Your public email is not valid."

Try this:
adam dot hodgson at optusnet dot com dot au

Just got your email with the 'correct' address and it appears that it still hasn't worked. I'm currently not a member of an organisation so that might be the problem. Sorry Jordi.

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "adam dot hodgson at optusnet dot com dot au"

Doesn't work

Quote: "I'm currently not a member of an organisation so that might be the problem"

No need an organisation to receive an invitation. I sent a invitations to my friends and only I used the email of his account in Intel AppUp Center.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 23:25
Quote: "
No need an organisation to receive an invitation. I sent a invitations to my friends and only I used the email of his account in Intel AppUp Center."

Well in that case would you like to give it another go? I updated a few things.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 00:41
Quote: "You can see the hi-scores in the my web"

Nice feature!

@Jordi
I've just had a chance to test the update (730!) and it seems to be working great. The random highscores still existed for me but that may be because although I un-installed the game and re-installed it, the highscores data file was preserved. I guess new installations would have the blank highscores though.

I'll test 3D once I get the chance but I've not managed to get hold of any 3D glasses so far and I'm not sure when I'll be able to.

Nice work again!

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
@Lucas,
Quote: "I guess new installations would have the blank highscores though."

Yes, when you uninstall the local HI-SCORES don't deleted because it's saved in the local directory of the user ( and I don't know how to deleted it with the uninstaller )

Quote: "I'll test 3D once I get the chance but I've not managed to get hold of any 3D glasses so far and I'm not sure when I'll be able to."

Well, the game includes the templated for print and cut. The only you need to find is the red and blue transparent paper. I bought that paper in a stationery shop.

But if you can't test it, don't worry, I'm working in more games with 3-D and you will have a lot of oportunities to test it.

@Hodgey
Quote: "Well in that case would you like to give it another go? I updated a few things."

Ok, I try again

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 11:59
Quote: "Ok, I try again"

Try the other email (one listed above)

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Hodgey
Quote: "Well in that case would you like to give it another go? I updated a few things."

Ok, I try again "

Ops, doesn't work. I tried with your two email addresses.

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Other question,

I published other game, Learn to multiply with Dr. Fiu. I didn't need beta-test for it because it's an old game I made.

Well, my problem is, in my Dashboard the status of the game is published but I didn't recieve any email, and I don't know how to find it in Intel AppUp.

Anyone know how to find a game in Intel AppUp website?

When I published MAGICAL GLOVES, I wrote the name of the game in the http adress and works ok, but with this game doesn't work.

Example:

http://www.appup.com/applications/applications-MAGICAL+GLOVES+APP

http://www.appup.com/applications/applications-Learn+to+multiply+with+Dr.+Fiu
or
http://www.appup.com/applications/applications-Learn+to+multiply+with+Dr%2E+Fiu

The game was published 2 day ago and I'm waiting the link to put here and in ADG, but I can't find it.

Thanks to all for help me.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 12:22
Quote: "Ops, doesn't work. I tried with your two email addresses."

Unfortunately Jordi I'll have to give it a miss but around early November I'll be on holidays and so will have a lot more time for these things. You'll probably have your game published by then though, sorry Jordi.

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't worry Hodgey

We try it again when this problem is corrected. I'm working in more games for the next month and then you can help me with the beta-test, ok?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 12:51
Quote: "We try it again when this problem is corrected. I'm working in more games for the next month and then you can help me with the beta-test, ok?"

Sounds good Jordi

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 14:55 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2011 14:55
Quote: "Anyone know how to find a game in Intel AppUp website?"

Sometimes it takes a while. If you click on your "Nurendsoft" in the Magical Gloves listing it will show your published games but it is not showing yet.

It will I'm sure, congrats anyway Jordi! Let me know when it's visible and I'll add a link on the first post

Sounds like you've kept your 'magical' hands busy!

Personally I've been working on too much... my "Oblitinator" is on a break until the next release of AppGameKit because of the odd line limit bug but I've started work on a the AI for a 'top down' zombie game as well as a DBP sprite-sheet making utility to make things easier in AGK. Here's part of one of the sprite sheets:

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 19:44:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 19:44:33