Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC App Developers Group

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 00:30
Quote: "I got it from a friendly chap at Intel who you know I mentioned ADG in my discussions and he already knew what I was talking about."

Interesting...

Quote: "In a nutshell, I've submitted the game to some rigorous testing that DBP games pass with flying colours. I intend to write about it in the newsletter as it's certainly worth striving for."

I look forward to hearing about it!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 13:26
I owe a lot to this group, I wouldn't be on AppUp without it. The good news keeps on coming, this morning I have reached 200 downloads

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 13:29
Congratulations BatVink!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 14:47
Congrats Batvink!!

ADG Site
This is just to say that if you are a published AppUp (or other platform) developer you can now get a user account on the ADG Games & Applications website where you can add your published, in development and/or coming soon games to the game listings!

We have already had several new members over the last week and this is a good opportunity to have your input in how the site develops. Our forums have an increasing number of posts and the site is getting bigger and better all the time.

Just email myself, Batvink, Hodgey or mnemonix to get your username and password and join us in helping to make this site a really great resource for developers and gamers. Also it's free publicity!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 15:50 Edited at: 11th Aug 2011 15:50
Update
Inside ADG! Is a new area on the ADG website where developers can write articles for our visitors and our own benefit!

Click image ^^^^

The idea is we can share with the gaming community our experiences in developing games / apps and give them an insight that makes them feel part of the community and want to keep coming back.

Any developer who has been given a username and password (given on request to published developers) can write an article which will be published once a moderator has checked it over!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 15:58
I'm sure I've used that box clipart in a past newsletter! The new section created by Baxslash is part of bigger plans for world domination, which is yet another good reason to join.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 16:02
Quote: "The new section created by Baxslash is part of bigger plans for world domination, which is yet another good reason to join."

...there I was making it all sound nice and innocent and you had to let the cat out of the bag! Nevermind Mwah ha haaa! The world is MINE... I mean OURS!!!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 22:58 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 22:58
Here is a screenshot from the latest update to The Last Stand (uploading tonight to AppUp!):

The next post will contain the images and code I'm using...

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 23:01
Attached are the images, here's the code. Just add these functions to your code and call the first one when you want to load the images (give it three image numbers) and the second one to draw the button in your game (centralised at x,y):

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 23:26 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 23:35
Nice Shiny button, and better than my text link in Pile Em Up!

Consider the button stolen and added to my high score table link.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 23:30 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 23:31
hmmm... shiny

EDIT: Finally applied my certificate for the first time... time to upload!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 23:36
Done! The beauty of online content is you can edit it after go-live

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 23:46
...and less than 35 minutes after I posted it!!

Have you finished 'Pile 'Em Up' on AppGameKit yet lazybones?

Hey! 'Big Daddy' looks like he needs knocking off his perch!! 25K is a nice score though...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 00:16
Quote: "Have you finished 'Pile 'Em Up' on AppGameKit yet lazybones?"

Busy working on my next project which started small and just exploded into a massive undertaking as soon as I started. Oh, and I also wrote 2 ADG articles before anyone called me lazybones, looks like I was just too late!

I have no idea how Big Daddy got that score, don't tell Hodgey, he has other commitments right now and he gets distracted by Pile Em Up.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 00:30
Quote: "Oh, and I also wrote 2 ADG articles before anyone called me lazybones, looks like I was just too late!"

Oooh! Are they online yet?

Can't wait to see the next project!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 01:46
Heheheh, nice shiny button, baxslash! I see my ADG logo image has come to good use. Nice!
And, also thanks for the shiny code snippet.
Nice idea with the 'Inside ADG' too. If I get some ideas (and time) for articles, I'll let you know.

@BatVink
Congratz on the 'Enhanced for Intel' logo! Well done.

Sorry for not having posted here much lately. I've been doing lots of other stuff lately. Maybe I shouldn't tell this here , but I bought the Leadwerks Engine a couple of days ago, and I'm really busy with some great projects.
But, dont worry, I'll keep on programming with DBPro too, and I ordered the AppGameKit aswell, so I'm not here to say goodbye.

Cheers

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 01:56 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 01:58
Quote: "Nice idea with the 'Inside ADG' too. If I get some ideas (and time) for articles, I'll let you know."

Thanks, that would be great!

Quote: "I bought the Leadwerks Engine a couple of days ago, and I'm really busy with some great projects."

Boo hisss!!

Quote: "But, dont worry, I'll keep on programming with DBPro too, and I ordered the AppGameKit aswell, so I'm not here to say goodbye."

Hoorah!!

Attached is a simple tool I just made to make Code Signing a little simpler. You just locate the certificate, the MSI, the Signtool.exe and give it your certificate password and it will attach the certificate for you then verify it!!

Here is the code for those of you that don't trust me not to sneak some code in there that gives me all your certificates:

EDIT: Oh, it uses some code from Green Gandalf's Stitch program too, include this...

Attachments

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 02:40
@baxslash
re:ADG website image code
Thanks for the code snippets and media files - any chance you can provide the AppGameKit equivalents as well?
I'm thinking of moving almost exclusively with that dev tool now that it's released...
re:the signing helper tool
I was toying with the idea of adding this to my install maker, but you've beaten me to it

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 10:24
Quote: "Thanks for the code snippets and media files - any chance you can provide the AppGameKit equivalents as well?"

I don't think there's a command to open a website at this time I'm afraid. If you're using tier 2 you will be able to add a hyperlink or button into your app/game but the basic commands are a bit limited at the moment...

Quote: "I was toying with the idea of adding this to my install maker, but you've beaten me to it"

I was thinking of your tool as I was building it. It would be a great addition! Seriously consider it as it would be better to have two tools than one. I was thinking it would be nice if it remembered where the files were too, or maybe if the user could put their certificate and msi in a folder and it applied it a little simpler! I'm still working on it but if you want to add it to your tool it would be a very handy tool indeed.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 16:08
Quote: "I don't think there's a command to open a website at this time I'm afraid"

that's right - we have discussed this shortcoming before - doh! my memory is like a sieve sometimes.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 11:06
I've been approached by another App Store called Avenue App Store, and was wondering what you guys think of it?

I think it looks promising and although it's only been going for a fairly short time and currently they mainly have free apps the ones they are providing are fairly well known such as Kindle for PC and Skype.

They don't provide DRM but the installers are deleted after install by their client so it sounds quite a bit like AppUp in many ways.

They support Windows XP, Vista and 7 32 & 64 Bit at the moment but it's more geared towards desktops & laptops than netbooks and might be a good outlet for higher end games too.

I'll be trying it out with some of my existing games over the next few weeks so I can give some early reports to those of you who are interested.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 11:36
you may want to review the terms and conditions of the AppUp store first though as they may have a stipulation that the games you submit to them can not be offered elsewhere as well. not saying that this is an actual condition, but I suggest you check first though.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 11:43
I'll be careful, thanks mr_d!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 12:05
It's a nice looking site. You can see it's quite new, the highest number of ratings for any app is 1, for just 8 apps. Web stats show it doesn't have much coverage just yet. They have lots of freeware to fill their catalogue.

I don't see any harm in trying it as another outlet. We can add it as an automated link option in ADG, and all links are an advantage to us.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 10:54 Edited at: 18th Aug 2011 10:55
The following is a reply to this because it was clogging up Morcilla's MPL3D thread. baxslash suggested it be moved here.

Quote: "It's designed primarily for netbooks but you can (and people do) download it for their desktops."

Oh, well that's good then.

Quote: "That's not true, unless you are using some kind of heavy shader technique or very complex levels. Your game from what I've seen would not be a problem on a netbook."

Really? I don't actually know what the shader I'm using does, the code was written by Dr Tank (see here), but it seems to be relatively well optimised. And the levels will be quite simple - well, the ones I create anyway. Other level-makers might make really complicated ones, but then it's up to them to do that if they so wish.

Well, I'll get it fini- more finished and then consider advertising and stuff. I'm working on portals, the editor GUIs, and the script system right now. I will be finished with the editor GUI soon, then I will finish the portals. Maybe I will upload a demo before the script system is finished, so people can have a look at it.

Btw who made the ADG site? Was that you, baxslash?

Clonkex

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 11:03
Quote: "Really? I don't actually know what the shader I'm using does, the code was written by Dr Tank"

It seems to unnecessarily use a LOT of cameras, one camera could be used for all of that code I'm fairly convinced. I saw that code a while back and thought it could be optimised in a number of ways... I'll give you some ideas at some point if you're interested.

Quote: "Maybe I will upload a demo before the script system is finished, so people can have a look at it."

That would be great, I can test it on my netbook if you like

Quote: "Btw who made the ADG site? Was that you, baxslash?"

I helped but the majority of the work was done by Batvink. Myself, Hodgey and TheSlayer did the rest.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 21:19
Sorry for the double post, a small update:

"The Last Stand" just passed validation with a link to the ADG website in the menu and using a Code Signing certificate!

I have three more vital updates to games going through validation at the moment all with the link and using a CSC. Hopefully this means that AppUp are happy with the content on the site so far. I pointed the link out in my message to the validation team so they were definitely aware of it

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 00:42 Edited at: 19th Aug 2011 00:44
Quote: "It seems to unnecessarily use a LOT of cameras, one camera could be used for all of that code I'm fairly convinced."

No, not really. I need 5 cameras for each portal. As far as I can see (bearing in mind I couldn't understand most of the code), it's a cubemap projected via a shader onto a half-sphere, which then always faces the camera. One of the 6 images is blank because you don't see the back of the portal.

Quote: "I saw that code a while back and thought it could be optimised in a number of ways... I'll give you some ideas at some point if you're interested."

Wait till the first demo is out, then you can have a look at the source code. I like to keep it neat and tidy so it's reasonably easy to understand. It's sorted into sections as well.

Quote: "That would be great, I can test it on my netbook if you like"

Thanks! Demo out today or tomorrow, depending how well my (home)school goes. It's generally not to much on Fridays

Clonkex

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 01:24
Quote: ""The Last Stand" just passed validation with a link to the ADG website in the menu and using a Code Signing certificate!"

That's good to know and will be a relief, I'm sure, to all of us that are members of the ADG site (even if we haven't yet got a game ready to submit yet).
BTW, so does the CSC you are using now use your own name or company name? - I don't think you mentioned how it all turned out with that.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 01:29
Quote: "so does the CSC you are using now use your own name or company name? - I don't think you mentioned how it all turned out with that."

My own name, I found it easier to sort out that way. I had some silly niggly problems along the way but nothing I couldn't sort out.

I'll now have some new stuff to add to the guide soon anyway!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 10:59
Quote: ""The Last Stand" just passed validation with a link to the ADG website in the menu and using a Code Signing certificate!
"

Congratulations Baxslash!, just another 7 apps to go

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 12:55 Edited at: 19th Aug 2011 12:55
Search-Lite and it's demo both failed this morning with a crash when the link is clicked. Wondering if I accidentally compiled fullscreen rather than fulldesktop...?

Surprised it didn't happen to me if that's the case though...

Not as worried about Search-Lite and the other games though as I get next to no sales from them anyway. Would like to keep my few customers up to date though!

My 2D version of "The Last Stand" on AppGameKit is going nicely when I get the time between my myriad of projects. I'm calling it "The Last Undead" and it'll be getting a load of new locations once I have the system fully working but basically it's really simple:

Attachments

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 13:08
That looks really good baxslash! Did you take images of each object and animation frame and convert them to sprites?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 13:19
Yes I've built a little DBP application just to get the zombie and background images.

Loading times are slow so I'll have to optimise the images somewhat but having 20 zombies on screen is just 20 sprites so game-play could get quite hectic!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 13:36 Edited at: 19th Aug 2011 13:37
Quote: "Loading times are slow so I'll have to optimise the images somewhat but having 20 zombies on screen is just 20 sprites so game-play could get quite hectic!"

I cannot wait to see its fruition and I'll bet that if/when you make this a WIP someone will ask you how you got 3D to work in AGK.

Edit- Oh yeah, I love the site's new make over!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 13:50
Quote: "I cannot wait to see its fruition and I'll bet that if/when you make this a WIP someone will ask you how you got 3D to work in AGK."

The funny thing is that when you turn the view left/right it looks really genuinely 3D. The hard bit will be getting the zombies to position correctly as you turn...

Quote: "Edit- Oh yeah, I love the site's new make over!"

TheSlayer is working on some new images in line with the new colour scheme. The current logo was just my own edit of the original logo.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 14:00
Quote: "The hard bit will be getting the zombies to position correctly as you turn"

That does sound tricky, good luck!

Quote: "TheSlayer is working on some new images"

I look forward to seeing those!

I just got Tier 2 up and running after a few hours of learning my way around VS2010 C++ express so I'm going to play around with that for a little bit. Now that we have our hands on AppGameKit, any ideas for a "community project"?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 14:05
Quote: "Now that we have our hands on AppGameKit, any ideas for a "community project"?"

Hmmm... nice idea

Tier 1 or 2 though?

If we do a CP we should try to keep it nice and simple...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 14:32
I think tier 1 because that way everyone, in theory, should be able to contribute.

Quote: "If we do a CP we should try to keep it nice and simple"

What if we did one of those 5 in 1 games. We could create 5 small, fun games and package them as one. I'm open to suggestions on this and any other ideas.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 14:40
Quote: "What if we did one of those 5 in 1 games."

Now that's a great idea, it solves the issue of "Who's doing what?" and one of us could do the 'main menu' part while the others just make their own mini-games!

Great idea Hodgey

I'll manage the menu and try to make my own game too if nobody else wants to do the menu? Anyone want to volunteer for a particular role?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 15:04
Quote: "I'll manage the menu and try to make my own game too if nobody else wants to do the menu?"

I don't have any problems with that. I want to see how other developers create their menus, I have my own system but would love to see how others do it.

Quote: "Anyone want to volunteer for a particular role?"

I'm happy to work on my own little mini-game, if anyone wants to team up I'm happy to do that as well.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 22:19

How do you mean? Is there anything in particular other than making the menu or making a little game?

I'm happy to chip in with a little game so long as the deadlines aren't going to be too pressured/soon. Will we try and theme/link them? Will we just be trying to make sure we all make different things? Do we want classics or innovative stuff? If we figure out some of that, I'll start figuring out what I might do.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 22:50
Quote: "How do you mean? Is there anything in particular other than making the menu or making a little game?"

Maybe someone would like to volunteer to do some graphics or music or some other game element? Maybe someone even wants to volunteer to co-ordinate and put it all together?

Quote: "I'm happy to chip in with a little game so long as the deadlines aren't going to be too pressured/soon. Will we try and theme/link them? Will we just be trying to make sure we all make different things? Do we want classics or innovative stuff? If we figure out some of that, I'll start figuring out what I might do."

The more varied the better I think. Might help us to not have anything too similar if we post what we are planning on making, it will reduce the possibility of that...

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 23:43
OK. And so this would be a free app that has ads for and links to the AppGameKit website? I could see that working.

Although I agree that we want variety to show we are a flexible bunch, I'm not sure we should just bundle a load of our disparate projects together. It might seem a bit strange. How about we try and create something around a theme so that we get varied games but they are all clearly part of a single app. If anyone likes that idea, possible themes that spring to my mind could be classic board games, retro games, children's games, casino style games, arcade games etc although I'm sure there are lots of others you could come up with. That kind of thing would allow for variety whilst maintaining coherency.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 00:08
Nice thinking Lucas, the one that sticks out for me is "Arcade", this could encompass "Retro" too...?

How about this, the theme/name of the game is:

ADG Arcade!

Sound good?

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 00:31 Edited at: 20th Aug 2011 00:31
Great idea, guyz! I'm more than happy to help out too whenever I have some spare time. If someone wants to add me on msn to discuss this further, that would be great.

Well, I can do a bit of everything. Graphics, programming, sounds, music, etc...

Quote: "I look forward to seeing those!"

I'll try to blow your socks off. (P.S.: is this how you phrase that?) ?

Cheers

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 00:31 Edited at: 20th Aug 2011 15:29
Quote: "ADG Arcade!

Sound good?"

Sounds good to me!

And if we do go with arcade here are some retro graphics that can be used royalty free so long as we give the author, Ari Feldman, credit. Baxslash I can just see you wanting to make as many games possible out of these graphics

Edit- Apparently everyone likes to ninja me nowadays, baxslash and now The Slayers doing it to!

Quote: "I'll try to blow your socks off. (P.S.: is this how you phrase that?)"

I think so but then again I'm from Australia and so I understand slang just by tone. Arj barker proved that you can make up words in Australia, use them as slang and Australians would still understand perfectly. I can't wait to see your graphics!

Edit2: Here's a screen shot of my very early in dev game, basically a spin off from my Radar Invaders game. I'm sorry if I took someone's idea. It's currently using placeholder graphics until I find/make better graphics.

Edit 3: I have a question, will we be using the virtual resolution of 100x100?

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 01:41 Edited at: 21st Aug 2011 01:43
Quote: "Here's a screen shot of my very early in dev game, basically a spin off from my Radar Invaders game. I'm sorry if I took someone's idea. It's currently using placeholder graphics until I find/make better graphics."

Nice work so far!

Quote: "I have a question, will we be using the virtual resolution of 100x100?"

I guess for the purpose of simplicity all games should conform to the same resolution so yes.

I have an idea for a fairly simple game so there are no copies, mine will be kind of like "Asteroids" but the aim is to 'collect' and drop off asteroids to be mined while bad guys try to destroy them (and you). You can attack enemies and use a 'tractor beam' weapon to drag asteroids to the drop off point. Different points for copper/gold/diamond asteroids and pickups for health etc...

I'm gonna call it "Gravitore" or something similar

EDIT: How about we make this donation-ware and donate the proceedings to charity as previously suggested?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 01:54
Quote: "Nice work so far!"

Thanks!

Quote: "I guess for the purpose of simplicity all games should conform to the same resolution so yes."

Excellent because I just got all of my ratios working.

Quote: "mine will be kind of like "Asteroids" but the aim is to 'collect' and drop off asteroids to be mined while bad guys try to destroy them (and you). You can attack enemies and use a 'tractor beam' weapon to drag asteroids to the drop off point."

That sounds awesome. Here is a video of a classic Australian movie called "The Castle" and it has the perfect line in it which applies to both you and BatVink, at about 1:30, "You are an ideas man Steve".

Quote: "I'm gonna call it "Gravitore" or something similar"

The most challenging thing when making a game is coming up with a good name for it

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 02:27 Edited at: 21st Aug 2011 02:30
Hello everyone. I thought I'd post as I haven't in awhile. The 5 in 1 idea sounds good. I'm still picking up the basics with agk and feel it is a little soon to be thinking of making games to sell with it. Still a menu wouldn't be too much to bite off I suppose.
I don't know how you guy's are finding AppGameKit, but so far I'm fairly pleased with it. The IDE needs a little more work, and there are a few commands missing I would like to see included. I have worked around everything so far though, and have a little scrolling shooter I am working on. It is sort of like Fantasy Zone, in concept, but with more serious graphics. I also have someone who is doing the graphics, so I might actually finish this one!

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 13:20:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 13:20:58