Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC App Developers Group

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for the double post. I thought I'd post a demo of one of my earlier projects I mentioned, Space Rescue. It is mainly complete engine wise, the menu is basic, and the graphics are still placeholders. but as I'm not likely to continue it all that soon, too busy with AppGameKit atm, I thought I'd post and see what you think to the gameplay as it stands.
I have tried it on my netbook and it seems to work ok here, but there may be issues, so I recommend you use your desktop machine to try it. However it would be nice (well, sort of ) to see if there are weird collision bugs or not on certain netbooks.
I will probably post my missile command game here too as that is probably doomed to sit for awhile also.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 02:50
Hi DVader, your game is looking pretty good and you're lucky to have an artist.

Quote: "The 5 in 1 idea sounds good."

I'd just like to let people know that unless decided otherwise we're not limited to 5 games.

Quote: "I don't know how you guy's are finding AppGameKit, but so far I'm fairly pleased with it."

I'm liking it quite a lot, still getting used to the new commands but that experience comes with learning any new language.

Quote: "However it would be nice (well, sort of ) to see if there are weird collision bugs or not on certain netbooks."

As you probably know I'm always happy to test so when I next fire up my netbook I'll give it a shot.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, he's pretty good at the old graphics thing. It's always nice to get some decent graphics to spruce up your projects. My little test AppGameKit demo turned from a interesting parallax scrolling demo, into a fairly decent looking game demo with just a change of images .

I'm finding it the same, I forget the fact there are no spaces way too often, my hands just put it in on automatic pilot. The lack of the F1 key is a pain also, although that will be fixed in the next update. Still it feels a little awkward at the moment, but time and practise will improve that.

Thanks for testing the game, I always feel it difficult to judge from the perspective of the programmer. I have tested it so many times, I have no clue if it is way too easy, or not. It always helps to have people fresh to the game for opinions on that.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 04:03
I had a quick go now on my main computer and I think it is a clever little game. I did notice one...interesting collision, when I landed on the bottom right platform, on of the legs of the spaceship missed the platform and so the ship fell right through the platfrom before exploding. Maybe instead of the ship sinking you could make it explode on the spot? I just wasn't expecting the ship to fall though.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 06:15 Edited at: 21st Aug 2011 06:22
Quote: "mine will be kind of like "Asteroids" but the aim is to 'collect' and drop off asteroids to be mined while bad guys try to destroy them (and you). You can attack enemies and use a 'tractor beam' weapon to drag asteroids to the drop off point."

That's a much better idea than Asteroid Blast was. (wish I'd thought of it..)

[edit]
Here's an early sneak peek at my entry for Ludum Dare 21.

You are a thief, and you just rolled into town and robbed a bank. The alarm sounds as you rush to your car. Around the corner behind you come the cops.

Evade the cops while you drive around town trying to find the one street they haven't blocked off that leads to The State Line. (which in theory fits in with the theme of ESCAPE..)

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 10:17
@ KISTech: that looks really good! Unfortunately I'm going to have to back out of the comp because I've lost too many hours and basically forgot that it had started. Good luck and I hope you win!

@ Baxslash: It just occured to me that this project would make a good article for Inside ADG so we must remember to take snapshots of development. Should we also announce this in the ADG AppGameKit thread or even make a separate thread for it?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 13:18
Quote: "It just occured to me that this project would make a good article for Inside ADG so we must remember to take snapshots of development. Should we also announce this in the ADG AppGameKit thread or even make a separate thread for it?"

I'll write one up. Good idea, could you post something in the other thread Hodgey (since it was your idea)?

The stuff above is looking great! KISTech, look forward to seeing how you get on.

I'm unwell today and so is my wife so I'm looking after the kids not much time to get stuff done today... Sorry if I'm missing anything!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 13:24
Quote: "could you post something in the other thread Hodgey"

Sure!

Quote: "I'm unwell today and so is my wife so I'm looking after the kids"

That's not good baxslash, I hope you and your wife make a speedy recovery.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 17:25
Quote: "I'm unwell today and so is my wife so I'm looking after the kids"

It's never fun when something runs through everyone in the house. Feel better.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 18:14
Quote: "It's never fun when something runs through everyone in the house."

Interesting choice of words... considering...

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 18:31
Hope you and your wife get better soon, baxslash.

Cheers

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 20:43
Quote: "Interesting choice of words... considering..."

To much information..

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 08:31
Quote: "a classic Australian movie called "The Castle""

What a coincidence! I watched that movie just recently! I am also in Australia, so I absolutely loved it. The only disappointing thing was the amount of rather course language. It was fine until the photo-copier broke.

Quote: "To much information.."

Lol!

I so have to buy AppGameKit as soon as I have cash again

Clonkex

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 09:03
Quote: "The only disappointing thing was the amount of rather course language. It was fine until the photo-copier broke."

I agree, it would have made a fantastic family movie if it weren't for the swearing. I actually have to study this movie for English and so have become well aquainted with the movie.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 00:54
Quote: "it would have made a fantastic family movie if it weren't for the swearing."

I actually watched it with Dad and Mum and my younger brother, so it sort of was a family thing anyway, but Dad said he'd forgotten just how much swearing there was. Being Christians we try to avoid hearing course language like that if we can, but Dad says it's a fact of life that you will hear swearing and it's unavoidable, so if the movie is good enough that it outranks the swearing he doesn't turn it off

There I go again, taking the thread completely off-topic. I have a bad habit of doing that to other people's threads

Clonkex

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 01:03
Quote: "if the movie is good enough that it outranks the swearing"

Once again I agree

Quote: "There I go again, taking the thread completely off-topic. I have a bad habit of doing that to other people's threads"

I do it to this thread all the time but somehow manage to get back on course.

Anyway, I've posted the community project details on page 2 of the AppGameKit thread in case any of you missed it. Might need to give it its own thread to gain more attention.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 01:58 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2011 02:14
Quote: "Anyway, I've posted the community project details on page 2 of the AppGameKit thread in case any of you missed it"

I will go check it out. I wouldn't mind entering and helping out but first I will have to buy AppGameKit

EDIT: I posted then thought, "Oh, wait. Which thread would that be?"

Clonkex

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 12:27 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2011 12:29
hi everyone,
late to the party again - it's beginning to be a habit
anyway I'd like to put it out there that I'd like to be involved with this X-in-1 game project as well.
The name of my game will be "Rogue Robot Rampage" where you play the role of the rogue robot and you basically squish and eat people
I have a very early screenshot of what I'm looking at with some placeholder graphics (I haven't even got the full set of these as I'm still not sure what my game play will end up being)

btw, what's the deal with the virtual resolution of 100x100 (I'm using 480x320 at the moment)? I tried to use this initially, but the screen is too small (about 4cm x 4cm) to be of use? I'm sure I must be missing something again, but don't know what - anyone care to explain this to an idiot?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 12:46
Quote: " I'd like to put it out there that I'd like to be involved with this X-in-1 game project as well."

Excellent! The more the merrier!

Your game sounds fantastic and fits the script and we have a dedicated artist whom I'm sure will help out with some graphics.

Quote: "what's the deal with the virtual resolution of 100x100"

In order to make the game work on multiple devices not just ipod we decided that the 100x100 suits this, or this is how I interpreted the point of having a 100x100 virtual resolution. Bet you wouldn't believe that my screen shot (about 20 posts up) is 100x100. It took me a while but I found the correct ratios to scale the sprites. If I am proven wrong and we can use 320x480 on all devices then we might swap to it.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 12:54
I thought AppGameKit uses percentages and that's what Hodgey meant IE it uses 100% of the available screen. I would expect all games to run nicely at 100% of the available resolution. I'll provide some code later if I get time (painting the house at the moment)...

Looking forward to seeing the game mr_d! Great idea

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 12:56
My bad with the terminology, in order to use the percentage system all we do is use SetDisplayApect() and we don't use SetVirtualResolution but yes, what I meant was the percentage system. Sorry guys.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 13:45 Edited at: 24th Aug 2011 00:32
Here's a quick demo of what I hope is the percentage resolution, if you have any questions, just ask.

Try it with your own images because I'd like to thoroughly test it! Remember to change the name of the image your loading and that should be all you have to change.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this code will scale the sprites to their original size. So if you make a sprite of 100x100, this will scale it so that it appears at 100x100 pixels on the screen. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how helpful this will be when it comes to different resolutions...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 14:28
Looks good Hodgey. I'll have a play later, but that's basically what I thought you meant. Nice example.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 14:48
Quote: "Looks good Hodgey. I'll have a play later, but that's basically what I thought you meant. Nice example."

Thanks baxslash. Yeah sorry about the confusion but we're ontrack now. I re-read the AppGameKit documentation so it should be correct.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 21:16
So far I've found a virtual resolution of 320x480 to work quite well. AppGameKit scales everything for you if the actual screen resolution is higher.

I'm just waiting for the Callback phase from Comodo and then TGC to put out the update for AppGameKit so it supports the AppUp code in Tier 1 and I'll be ready to submit 1, maybe 2 games.

The AppUp code is already embedded in the MeeGo side of AppGameKit, so I may go play with that until the update.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 00:29
Quote: "AGK scales everything for you if the actual screen resolution is higher."

Ok and what if the resolution is smaller?

There is one other thing that has put me off SetVirtualResolution, this thread. Just that last sentence he wrote:

Quote: "Soon to be followed by the evils of SetVirtualResolution video"

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 00:55 Edited at: 24th Aug 2011 00:58
I really want to join in with this X In 1 games thing, but I haven't bought AppGameKit yet. I just don't have the cash. Maybe Mum will lend me some till the end of the month.....

I some brilliant ideas for some games. I tried making them in DBPro once but it doesn't do 2D very well. For example, to make a scrolling game you would have to reposition all the sprites every frame to make it appear as though there was a 2D camera.

Clonkex

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 01:12
Quote: "I really want to join in with this X In 1 games thing, but I haven't bought AppGameKit yet."

Well, that doesnt mean you cant help us out. There's plenty of things that can be done, like sounds, music, graphics, ideas, etc...

Cheers

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 01:23 Edited at: 24th Aug 2011 01:24
Quote: "Ok and what if the resolution is smaller?"

I could maybe see that happening, in some very weird and uncommon instance, but of all the devices that support Windows, Mac, iOS, Meego and Bada, I haven't found one yet with a native resolution less than 320 x 480.

It will be interesting to see an example of the evil that lurks within though.

Percentage is still likely the way to go, and then do the proper scaling each time you make a sprite. Then you've got everything covered and you can just set the proper aspect based on the detected resolution and run with it.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 03:06 Edited at: 24th Aug 2011 03:09
Quote: "Well, that doesnt mean you cant help us out. There's plenty of things that can be done, like sounds, music, graphics, ideas, etc..."

I hadn't thought of that! I can do graphics. I can do some pretty good graphics, actually! I can do sounds sounds as well. I'm not so good with music. I can think of some really good ideas for games, just not for the names of the games. I'm terrible at coming up with names. Although I occasionally think of a really good one...

Just tell me if you want me to make any kind of graphics and how big to make them and stuff like that.

EDIT: If you need sounds or ideas just ask as well.

Clonkex

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 10:17
Quote: "I haven't found one yet with a native resolution less than 320 x 480."

What about Android devices? I used to be quite up to date with the latest mobiles but nowadays I'm quite behind. What are the resolutions like on Android?

Quote: "It will be interesting to see an example of the evil that lurks within though."

I'm really interested to see what the evils are of the SetVirtualResolution.

Quote: "Percentage is still likely the way to go, and then do the proper scaling each time you make a sprite."

I hope so, I'm running into a few challenges at the moment.

@ The Slayer, Clonkex: When I have progressed a little bit further with my game I might be giving you both a few emails if that's alright?

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 10:52
Quote: "@ The Slayer, Clonkex: When I have progressed a little bit further with my game I might be giving you both a few emails if that's alright?"

Yep, that's fine by me, Hodgey.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 02:01
Quote: "@ The Slayer, Clonkex: When I have progressed a little bit further with my game I might be giving you both a few emails if that's alright?"

Good. Now I must go and work on Rift.

Clonkex

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all, I fancy changing my signature to something more useful. Say The Appup group for instance I haven't played bitefight for quite awhile, updates made it too time consuming to continue with it. So, Does anyone mind me using it to help advertise the group? Also apart from grabbing images already used from other peoples posts, is there somewhere on the new site or otherwise to get the banner logo?
Excuse my ignorance with this sort of thing, I rarely bother with such normally as I have nothing to advertise. I assume I can upload an image for my signature on the site, just never looked into it.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 11:49 Edited at: 26th Aug 2011 11:50
Quote: "I fancy changing my signature to something more useful. Say The Appup group for instance...Does anyone mind me using it to help advertise the group?"

Nope, go for it, the more the better! Here are the images, download link is in baxslash's post.

Quote: "I assume I can upload an image for my signature on the site, just never looked into it.
"

Yep, exactly the same as if posting an image.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
All done, I was kinda hoping for an upload option, but had to use imageshack in the end to store the image. Seems to be working anyway!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 19:49
Looks great DVader! Thanks for flying the colours!!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 02:14 Edited at: 27th Aug 2011 02:19
If I wasn't flying my own game I'd happily have an ADG banner

EDIT: DVader, you should use this code, so if people click on your banner, it links to the ADG site:

Clonkex

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 02:22
I was just reading back on some older comments that I missed and baxslash nice button for ADG, can't wait for the day I get to use it! And BatVink, who's this "Big Daddy" fellow, I need to have a little talk with him

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 19:06 Edited at: 27th Aug 2011 20:01
@ Clonkex, ah yes, I used the code from imageshack, It seems to take you there when you click it. I will change it to point to the ADG site, thanks for that. My own web site seems to have gone down of late (it was a freebie off a kind forum member, I had a good run with it considering), so I have nothing to point it to myself anyway at the moment. I really need to get a decent web page sorted so I can put up old, and of course new projects on there
I have a WIP thread in the AppGameKit section if anyone hasn't seen it for my first AppGameKit effort.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=188488&b=41

@Hodgey, Big Daddy, brings back memories of long ago lol. I don't see any modern wrestlers with his physique lol. Not that I actually watch any wrestling at all now, or have seen the post you refer to for that matter.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2011 04:05
@ DVader: This is the post I'm referring to, and if he's a pro wrestler then that talk I'm going to have with him will probably be over the phone...with each of us on different continents.

@ Baxslash: I meant to say something earlier about the proceeds going to charity and I have no objections. When this project kicks off I think we should give Oolite an email to let him know what we're doing and that he is welcome to contribute.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2011 11:03
Quote: "I meant to say something earlier about the proceeds going to charity and I have no objections. When this project kicks off I think we should give Oolite an email to let him know what we're doing and that he is welcome to contribute."

There's something about it in this month's newsletter

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2011 11:35
Quote: "There's something about it in this month's newsletter"

Next month's newsletter? If so I can't wait to read it! (I quickly skimmed this month's and couldn't find anything).

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2011 15:14
Yes, sorry I mean the upcoming one

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 15:15
It's been a while since anyone has posted here. I've just finished a re-write of Radar Invaders in DBPro and although it's practically the same on the outside, the code looks spectacular and it's far more organised. Just a few more features to add here and there and then hopefully I'll be asking for advice/help on validation.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 18:44
That's great news Hodgey! Just let us know if you need any help

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought you had released radar invaders awhile back! Good luck on getting it validated. You must have patience to go to the trouble of rewriting it all!

How is the multi game project going btw? I am having to wait for a fix before I can continue my current shooter. So I might be able to put something together for it in the meantime. What sort of games do you have in progress at the minute?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 22:53
The 'multi-game' is going well and the list of contributors is growing!

Here's a link to the thread for "ADG Arcade! Volume 1": http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=188978&b=8&p=0

You can see what games are already being made there and by who in the first post. Let me know what you want to add if you decide to make one

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 00:31
Quote: "I thought you had released radar invaders awhile back! Good luck on getting it validated. You must have patience to go to the trouble of rewriting it all!"

Unfortunately not yet, I had it up on the ADG site for a while though. Thanks for the good luck wishes! I had to re-write it for a school project si the code needs to look clean, readable and be thoroughly commented. It was only about 1500 lines anyway and atleast half of that is whitespace and comments.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 12:01:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 12:01:52