Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC App Developers Group

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 15:53 Edited at: 21st Oct 2011 15:54
My tip for the day. AppUp is not very good at supplying statistics. Google Docs does a fantastically simple job of providing my stats for me, simply by updating it once in a while with the current download figures.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 18:11
Coding Competition update!
Here is a link to the details for the coding competition and how to enter!

ADG 1st Anniversary Coding Competition!

I hope there will be plenty of entries!!

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
@baxslash
Quote: "Great news, "The Last Stand" was used in the AppUp Halloween promotion after all! Not only that but it's the main game on the email promo"

It's a very very great news. Fantastic baxslash !!

The game was chosen by Intel or did some request?

@The Slayer
Quote: "maybe you could adjust your App Developers Group banner"

OK I'll try to change it as soon as possible and put the link to ADG web.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 12:22
Hi everyone, just incase you missed it there's a coding comp going on and you can use either DBP or AGK. Details found here, Geek Culture thread and AppGameKit thread.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 12:25
Quote: "It's a very very great news. Fantastic baxslash !!

The game was chosen by Intel or did some request?"

It was chosen by Intel, they contacted me

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
@Hodgey

I have some question about the coding competition.

We just must do a scene without playing and without interacting?

We can do a playing zone?

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It was chosen by Intel, they contacted me"

Excellent Last stand is a very good game

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 12:33
Quote: "We just must do a scene without playing and without interacting?

We can do a playing zone?"

Baxslash, we might need to do some re-wording . You can do either. You can make it interactive, even a game or you can do a stationary scene but that might not gain you as many points.

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok. Thanks Hodgey

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 17:46
I'm happy with the wording and I'm willing to be flexible on how it is interpreted. Unless there is a consensus that it is too ambiguous I will leave it as it is for now.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 21:33
Quote: "OK I'll try to change it as soon as possible and put the link to ADG web."

Excellent, excellent!

Quote: "We just must do a scene without playing and without interacting?

We can do a playing zone?"

Both are accepted. Basically, we are going to judge the entries based on best coding, best graphics, and wooow factor.

Good luck to all!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2011 09:20
Hi guys! I've started a collection of developer resources which can be found here. If you don't have an account click the "Dev Login" link at the bottom of the page and you should be able to work your way from there. Any additions are appreciated.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2011 12:19
That's great Hodgey thanks!

I'll be adding some links there soon for articles such as this one:
Online AppUp Developers Guide

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2011 12:23
You're welcome baxslash!

Online version of AppUp developers guide added to the Developer Resources thread.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2011 12:29
I have also added this link to the developers area of the ADG website which will have categorised areas eventually for:
Guides
Code Snippets
Free Media
etc...

ADG Resources!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2011 13:24
New AppGameKit update available! Includes the placement editor!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2011 01:58
Quote: "New AppGameKit update available! Includes the placement editor!"

Thanks for the heads up, Hodgey!
Looking forward to play around with the new toys!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2011 02:01
No worries. I'm currently in the process of uninstalling the old version.

JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 16:01
If you're an "Indy" software developer you may not have the resources of a major game development company.

So...ADG has a new forum for those needing to get their software Beta tested by other ADG members. Please read the "Guidelines" section for more information:

http://adg.devink.co.uk/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=showcat&catid=12&Itemid=58
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 16:26
The Beta testing board is a great opportunity to get your games tested by as many people as possible and the more people that visit it the better. I would ask that if you put something there to be tested please drop a notice in here too to let as many people know about it as possible!

It's also a great opportunity to try out what other developers are working on!!

JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 00:52
I'm looking for 5 testers with two systems on a local area network to test a space simulation/action game written in DBPro. A joystick or two would be nice also.

More information is available on the ADG site:

http://adg.devink.co.uk/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=12&id=632&Itemid=58#632
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2011 11:54
The Last Stand Version 1.1.8 just passed validation for Windows 7 64 Bit so I am confident that the problem was related to font loading. I think in future I will stick to bitmap fonts...

V1.1.9 is already in for validation which contains some new code to allow the user to use the mouse in the main menu. There was a bad review from a user of the demo who said he couldn't start the game and I have to admit that it is not very intuitive even with this update. I'll improve the menu when I produce another update. V1.1.9 is also available for download from my website. The demo is free and the full version is now only 0.99USD

The Last Stand!

I might come up with some code for loading and using AppGameKit style fonts too but I have to work on a temporary solution for my "Search-Lite" game too which also uses the font loading code. Frankly though sales are so low for that game I may wait until I make some code for another project first.

JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2011 23:14
I'm still looking for testers! - Two Player Space Shooter/Action.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2011 00:42
I'd love to test your game but unfortunately my network is locked down to make sure homework gets done before YouTube is engaged. If I get chance to look later this weekend I'll get my children to test it out on my laptop and desktop.

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 04:39 Edited at: 30th Oct 2011 04:41
Hi Baxslash,

My game Colors! and the demo is now on the intel appup store. Can you change the price to $1.99 and the text that goes with it on the intel appup store please. Thank you.

So how is everyone doing? I kind of been busy on a huge project. I'm making a like fps Resident Evil game. I already bought all the 3d models and stuff. I'm now working on making a 150 room mansion. It's going to be huge. lol

I was going to make a simple 3d fps game. However I decided i'm going all out and making a big one. I already made my own 3d collision system that will work with any game I throw at it without plugins. Here is a demo of a simple building with stairs showing it works. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHottestSongsToday#p/u/0/mXCJXTkE3v4

So that's what I been up to. lol

darkvee
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 06:23
Hi darkvee! I just changed the price to $1.99 but as for the text, it looks the same to what is in the description (I only skimmed over it). Let us know if there's anything else you want to change.

Quote: "I'm making a like fps Resident Evil game. I already bought all the 3d models and stuff. I'm now working on making a 150 room mansion. It's going to be huge. lol "

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see it in action. BTW the collision system looks nice! Something I've got to learn one day.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 12:17
Looks good darkvee! If you want some help building rooms I can help, send me an email

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 20:34 Edited at: 30th Oct 2011 20:43
Hi Hodgey,

Thanks for changing the price. The reason the text looks the same intel hasn't updated it yet. I figured they would update it within one day.

Thanks Hodgey glad you like the collision system. Ya when I made it I was really impressed with myself. lol Yes I can't wait to see the game in action myself.

Baxslash that sounds good man you still tied up in a lot of projects? I could make this game myself but if you wanted to we could build this huge project together. So the game gets done faster and I think once it is done we should make a lot of money from it.

I need to go ahead and build that game I been talking about for the AGK. If I make it can I just give you the guys the code and graphics. I dunno yet how to export it to the phones and stuff yet.

darkvee
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 22:35
Quote: "Baxslash that sounds good man you still tied up in a lot of projects? I could make this game myself but if you wanted to we could build this huge project together. So the game gets done faster and I think once it is done we should make a lot of money from it."

Still pretty tied up but I'd be happy to help where I can

Take a look at a project I started a while back from the same genre: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=182634&b=8

Quote: "I need to go ahead and build that game I been talking about for the AGK. If I make it can I just give you the guys the code and graphics. I dunno yet how to export it to the phones and stuff yet."

Is that for the ADG Arcade? If so then just the code and graphics would be great.

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 23:50 Edited at: 30th Oct 2011 23:52
Hi Baxslash,

Good job on making the next sequel to The Last Stand. I hope it does well.
Quote: "Is that for the ADG Arcade? If so then just the code and graphics would be great."

Cool that sounds great.

darkvee
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2011 00:26
Quote: "Good job on making the next sequel to The Last Stand. I hope it does well."

Thanks but I'm not doing that version any more, I'm doing a 2d version in AppGameKit for the sequel now. I just thought you'd like to see the rooms I was making. Maybe something similar would be useful in your project?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 13:09
Here is a link to a new resource article by mr_d on the ADG website:
Making your game truly global!

I hope you find it useful, thanks mr_d!

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys,

The demo of my next game, FAR 3D APP, is now on beta testing, I would like to send an invitation for beta testing.

I readed the list of beta testers but the emails not appear.

If someone like to test the game, please tell me the Intel AppUp mail for sent the invitation.

Thanks to all

@Baxslash
I updated the description of the game in ADG website, if you like to read it and change something wrong, I'd appreciate it.

Other thing, I will send you an invitation for beta testing, ok?

I added a link to ADG website on the initial game menu and I made ADG banners textures for the demo track.

Thanks again to all

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2011 14:10
Hi Jordi, hope you liked the mention in the newsletter!

I'll take a look on the ADG post ASAP.

You need to send my invite to srholding at hotmail dot co dot uk... look forward to testing!!

Quote: "I added a link to ADG website on the initial game menu and I made ADG banners textures for the demo track."

Awesome! Thanks a lot Jordi!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2011 14:18
Quote: "The demo of my next game, FAR 3D APP, is now on beta testing"

Congrats, Jordi! Wooow, you're catching up on baxslash. Well, not yet, but you're getting closer.

Quote: "I added a link to ADG website on the initial game menu and I made ADG banners textures for the demo track."

Thanks a lot, Jordi! That's a very nice gesture.
As for the ADG banners, could you show an image of one of them? The reason for asking is that we'd like you to use the same font we used for the ADG letters/logo. I have uploaded the font (Sofachrome). Thanks.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'll take a look on the ADG post ASAP."

Thanks again

Quote: "You need to send my invite to srholding at hotmail dot co dot uk... look forward to testing!!"

Ok

Quote: "As for the ADG banners, could you show an image of one of them?"

Of course, for make the texture, I used your banner image.

When I do the other tracks, I will use the adg font, ok?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2011 14:49
That's great Jordi thanks a lot. I would just check with TGC as you are using their logo in your game. They may not have a problem with it but it's best to check. I would send them that image or just use the image on the right (from the ADG website).

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
@baxslash
Quote: "Awesome! Thanks a lot Jordi!"

@The Slayer
Quote: "Thanks a lot, Jordi! That's a very nice gesture. "

No, thanks to you for your help. You made very important things for all of us, and we can do our projects with this things.

I'm happy to contribute in some way.

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "They may not have a problem with it but it's best to check"

Ops, yes. I will send a email to TGC to make sure there is no problem. Thanks baxslash.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2011 18:12 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2011 18:12
@Jordi
Thanks for the beta invite! I wonder how many $ worth of free games I've got out of you now through this beta testing thing ? Just out of interest, is app development your full time job?

As for the game. I'm bowled over once again! Really excellent game and I mean that. I don't even usually play racers and it had me hooked for hours! So many nice touches from the banners to the weather conditions. I only noticed a couple of things that I think might be bugs. One of these is that I was unable any of the times I played, regardless or car/weather conditions etc., to use turbo until I had completed my first lap. I wondered if this was an issue with detecting the first time I go over the start line right at the start of the race or something? It seemed to give my opponents a bit of an edge over me; for the first lap at least! The other issue was much more trivial. It's just that I noticed that when I clicked on a greyed out option in the menu that has an active button underneath it, the game behaves as though I've clicked on the active button. So for example, in the main menu, try selecting the timed race option above the quick race. You'll see (if you have the same issue) that the quick race is selected. My screen res is 1366 by 768.

The game ran very nicely, even though I'm playing on my netbook. As always, I have a few other comments but they're not all that important. One thing was that after the race, it was not immediately obvious to me what the difference between retry and replay was until I clicked both, after which I understood. However because replay could mean replay the level, I wonder if there is some other wording you could use like "retry race" and "view replay" just to make it more obvious. I didn't quite understand the warning about autosave at the start either. Is the concern disk threshing or something? If there is nothing the user can do about it, I would suggest not frightening them . The crowds in the stands and the start of the race look kind of funny because they look very 2D. Maybe they look much better with the 3D glasses I'm not sure. I just thought that maybe for us 2D players, you could try and make them look a bit more crowd-like. Another thing you might like to do is whilst the camera is swooping around at the start of the race, you could just throw up some controls on the screen. Of course, people should check before they start but I know I never do so it might help people like me to have the controls displayed to them at the start. This shouldn't be too much of a hardship for experienced players because you can skip the intro with the escape key anyway. I loved the skid when the weather was set to rain. The only thing I'd say about this is that I felt my opponents weren't suffering from it quite as badly as me, but maybe I'm just biased! Also why do flying vehicles skid? . One final thing was that I wondered if it might be nice to give the opponents names and to let you name yourself. Might just help get in to the spirit of it more if everyone has crazy screen names rather than being labelled player and opponent 1 etc.

OK well I hope some of that helps. If you need any more testing, I'd be happy to have another go! Great work on producing yet another game!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2011 18:27
Can't wait to try it now!

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
@Lucas

I'm happy to read all yours opinions and sugestions about the game.

Quote: "Just out of interest, is app development your full time job?"

Yes and no, in spain we are living a specially bad situation with the global crisis. I lost my job and I'm trying to convert my hobby ( make videogames) to my job but it's very difficult and also make a best curriculum vitae of game designer.

Quote: "I wondered if this was an issue with detecting the first time I go over the start line right at the start of the race or something?"

It's not an issue. The turbo is available after the first lap because if you have tubo at the start, you can win too easy.

Quote: "It's just that I noticed that when I clicked on a greyed out option in the menu that has an active button underneath it, the game behaves as though I've clicked on the active button."

Yes, I try to change this issue

Quote: "One thing was that after the race, it was not immediately obvious"

Yes, is simple to correct but very important for all user can understand all the options: Thanks

Quote: " I didn't quite understand the warning about autosave at the start either. Is the concern disk threshing or something?"

Mmm, yes, is not necessary to put this warning.

Quote: "The crowds in the stands and the start of the race look kind of funny because they look very 2D."

yes, but I can't change it for the demo. For the full game I will try to make best the people texture

Quote: "Another thing you might like to do is whilst the camera is swooping around at the start of the race, you could just throw up some controls on the screen."

Well, it's possible to put an image of controls in the loading screen. I wouldn't like to put more text on the intro sequence.

Quote: " Also why do flying vehicles skid? "

Because it's funny and the vehicles use the same technology as the skateboard flying of the film Back to the Future 2.

Quote: "One final thing was that I wondered if it might be nice to give the opponents names and to let you name yourself."

Of course but not available on the demo. In the full version you can put your name and upload your best time on the Online Ranking and the opponent cars will have a nicknames.

Quote: "OK well I hope some of that helps."

Yes, very useful. Thanks for playing and thanks for give me your opinions.
I'm very happy that you liked the game

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 00:27
Quote: "in spain we are living a specially bad situation with the global crisis"

Yeah. Poor old Eurozone eh? Sorry to hear about your job. I just hope your app production works out for you . It's a tough market but what isn't these days?

Quote: "It's not an issue. The turbo is available after the first lap because if you have tubo at the start, you can win too easy."

Hmm, fair enough. I still feel it's a little confusing though.. I noticed that the turbo bar recharges really quickly. Might a more intuitive way of making the game harder be to make it recharge much more slowly? Just a thought but don't mess up the balance for it because it plays well as it is now.

Quote: "Well, it's possible to put an image of controls in the loading screen. I wouldn't like to put more text on the intro sequence."

Yes it's a nice intro so you shouldn't do anything to ruin the effect. I didn't so much mean a full screen tutorially thing though so much as simply little instructions down in the bottom right hand corner next to the dashboard. So next to break you could have [space] and by the speed dial you could have [a] in small print and have it disappear once the race starts. Or as you say, something in the load screen might be good to. Or maybe your players should actually read the instructions!

In some of my comments, I forgot it was the demo! It makes much more sense now. Anyhow I'm glad some of that helped. Keep up the good work!

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Lucas

All the comments are very usefull, I will make some change for the demo, and other things I will change on the full version.

The objective of this demo is know that the people like the project and what I can change to make the game better.

Jordi
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys,

I updated the game version with this changes:

- NO autosave warning.
- Changed text: retry and replay for "retry race" and "view replay".
- Loading screen: showing controls and not start the race until press any key.

Thanks again to all

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 09:58
Hi guys, a question to all. How do you decide when to increase the version number of your programs and to what? For example when would you incrase 1.2.1 to 1.2.2? And when would you increase 1.2.x to 1.3?

The reason I'm asking here is because I would imagine that when you're developing commercial applications, you would be far stricter with your versioning that if it were a personal project.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 10:06
Hi Hodgey, I only increase the version number on AppUp when I need to upload a new version (you have to change it then on AppUp).

I start at 1.0.0 then 1.0.1 etc...

That means "The Last Stand" is on version 20...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 10:17
Quote: " I only increase the version number on AppUp when I need to upload a new version (you have to change it then on AppUp)."

That's what I thought of doing as well (the each new upload bit anyway) but just watching the AppGameKit versioning they went from 1028, 1036, 1042, 1054 and now there's a 1061 beta.

Your method seems pretty straight forward though baxslash so I might use it...or develop some complex system which only I understand.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 10:29 Edited at: 8th Nov 2011 10:36
hi hodgey,

if the project is expected to be around a while and will be worked on pretty actively, then my own rule of thumb on this is the following (when using 4 digits):
1st:core - new high-level functionality/features
2nd:major - new mid-level functionality/features
3rd:minor - new minor functionality/features
4th:build - bug fixes to existing functionality/features
if using 3 digits, then basically the 2nd and 3rd are considered the same level, and the 4th number (build) become the 3rd number.

if the project is a relatively small one, or is not expected to have many updates/changes, then my rule changes to only using 2 numbers. from 0.1 to 0.4 will be alpha builds (e.g. for testing and proof of concepts), 0.5 to 0.9 beta builds for public use and to iron out the bugs, and then 1.0 onwards following an even more simplified scheme than the 3 digit one above...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 11:01
Thanks for your input Mr_D, it's always appreciated. Your methods seem pretty logical as well and I might use something similar, actually a combination of your versioning schemes and baxslash's might work very nicely.

I was reading through a wikipedia article on it, this one to be precise and also like the idea of using the numbers 0-3 to represent alpha, beta, RC and final releases. So I might integrate those concepts as well.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 13:09:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 13:09:41