Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC App Developers Group

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2011 14:00
@Kamakazi, missed your post there but I've added you to the list. Your game looks like it's been well thought out. The Slayer does some great tracks so you're in luck if he's helping you out!

Backlash (a side-scrolling 2.5D platform game I'm just finishing off) uses transparent planes like VanB suggests and it does work very well particularly with rotation as he suggests.

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
okay thanks ill have a little play tonight never changed FOV before so ill see what i can come up with
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2011 19:34
I would be interested in joining the Appup gang. I do not have anything to show off yet, but I hope to change that in the near future
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2011 08:43
I only really made a list to give people an idea of the amount of people interested. You're on it though

Look forward to seeing your stuff!

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to no larger than 600 x 120.
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2011 09:27
hello, i am currently making a game for appup and i have seen and read a lot of different things on screen resolution and if it should be windowed or full screen. which works the best and passes validation? I also look forward to seeing all the cool appup games that people are making.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2011 19:13
I've had Apps that are Fullscreen and Fulldesktop pass validation. Also I've bought at least one App that is windowed so anything is fine as long as the minimum resolution at launch (set in the editor) is less than 1024x600. For safety I start all my Apps at 640x480.

You can download the full version of my best selling App "The Last Stand" from the first post in the link in my signature for a limited time. There's even a full installer in case you don't aren't sure you have all the right dlls already.

Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2011 20:40
ok thanks for the post baxslash. i actually followed the development of The Last Stand, and it looks awesome.
Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
i havent got a netbook will the last stand work on a laptop res of 1366 x 768

Would love to play it but dont wanna download if it isnt goin to work
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2011 22:02
Quote: "i havent got a netbook will the last stand work on a laptop res of 1366 x 768

Would love to play it but dont wanna download if it isnt goin to work "

Yes the version I posted is display size independant. All that means is it will run fullscreen at full resolution. The AppUp version was just set to run fullscreen at 1024x600.

Some of the images and menus are still set at 1024x600 but will appear at their standard resolution in the middle of a black screen.

I just made a version that could run on slightly higher (next gen) netbooks without appearing odd but the upshot was that it will run at full res on any machine. Should run fairly quick too.

Enjoy!

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2011 01:03 Edited at: 20th Feb 2011 01:31
downloading now then

EDIT: Played a few rounds and gotta say its amazing! truely deserves the prizes you got. You should finish making this resolution independant and release it somewhere else as well as AppUp

Only issue is i found other than things that are obivously becaus of the resolution is that on level 1 i keep getting the screen flashin black like every 3 seconds which is annoying

overall great game and going to play it again now
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2011 07:40
Thanks for the comments @Teh Stone!

Quote: "Only issue is i found other than things that are obivously becaus of the resolution is that on level 1 i keep getting the screen flashin black like every 3 seconds which is annoying "

Yeah, nobody seems to get that it's supposed to be the last flickering strip light in an office. The screen going black is the room going black and it's meant to be atmospheric but lots of people reported it as a bug. You should hear a slight buzzing noise as it 'flickers' randomly.

I might make the light flicker dimmer or something instead so you can still see but not very well. Might be more obvious that way.

I'll put it in the next edit and post the revised version soon as I found a few more bugs too like the 'blood' that appears as you get damaged shoulf fill the screen. The game over screen also needs sorting out... happy days!

Thanks again and glad you like it. I might do a full PC version some day soon.

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "it's meant to be atmospheric but lots of people reported it as a bug."

Maybe a better idea would be to make it more random, like space some out then have some closer together, even have some that do like a double flicker it might make it look more like a flickering light. i know you proberly dont want to make major changes to this now but i would be better

yeah i was going to mention the blood but i just thought it was to do with the res you were changing
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2011 14:26
Hey, I'm developing an text adventure for appup (Just finished the painstaking work of converting the menu and stats screen to appup standards. )
Feel free to put me on the list and it would be nice to have someone test it when I'm close to release (I will save the full conversion to appup standards for when it's ready for release as I test it maybe a million times a day and I don't have a netbook. )
The game can be tested in the pc version on the wip board (Shadowcast)
I'm pretty much done with the game, now the true creative work starts, with writing the quests.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2011 15:44
Quote: "Maybe a better idea would be to make it more random, like space some out then have some closer together, even have some that do like a double flicker it might make it look more like a flickering light. i know you proberly dont want to make major changes to this now but i would be better"

Great idea, I'll reduce the mimimum time between flickers. It already does it randomly but maybe a little more often and slightly less dark might make it more obvious. How about if I add a little spark particle effect like they do in the movies when a light has been shot out?

Hi @DarkByNight! I'll add you to the list too. If you want the game tested on a netbook just let me know (typing this on mine from my sickbed right now).

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " How about if I add a little spark particle effect like they do in the movies when a light has been shot out?"

Sounds good
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 09:58
Uhm I have a problem. I'm converting my game to AppUp and I installed the SDK and everything but.... runastd.bat is nowhere to be found.
How will I do this without that? Or rather, where can it be found / what have I missed?
Thank you.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 11:00
It's just been renamed "run.bat". I had the same problem!

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 11:20
Haaah. Yay. Thank you so much! I am now more or less appup ready, now for completing the last 2 quests, some polish and some testing and I'll be ready to publish.
Sooo excited.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 15:19 Edited at: 28th May 2011 12:07
What's the App going to be called?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 12:46 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 12:47
I have a quick request. Can anyone who already has any games on AppUp (published or un-published) or is getting a game ready to put onto AppUp please Email me with the details for a possible upcoming newsletter article? I can't guarantee what will or will not be published but I will try to give TGC as much info as possible and leave it up to them to edit what I write.

Also I started a banner for the group. Anyone who wants to can have a go at doing a better version. If there is a possibility of using the banner in the article I would get it posted quick and we'll have a vote on it.

Here's my quick effort for what it's worth!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 15:41
Game finished, polishes and sent to appup!!
No one ever mentioned what an enormoous satishfaction it is to have a finished product after months of hard work!
As soon as my game is ready for beta testing I will add you as tester, thanks so so much for all your help bax!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 15:46
Quote: "Game finished, polishes and sent to appup!!
No one ever mentioned what an enormoous satishfaction it is to have a finished product after months of hard work!
As soon as my game is ready for beta testing I will add you as tester, thanks so so much for all your help bax! "

Fantastic! Well done.

I look forward to testing it, and glad I could help!!

Did you have any trouble building the installer?

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 15:50
To be quite honest I'm not sure I did it right and I might or might not have set it to install directx, didn't know how to do that.
I guess beta testing will give me the answer!
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 16:06
As an aside and out of curiosity (Don't tell me if it's too personal) how much are you generally selling your games for?
I know I can't charge very much with a text based games but a lot of hard work has gone into it so I don't really want to give it away for free.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 16:21
Quote: "To be quite honest I'm not sure I did it right and I might or might not have set it to install directx, didn't know how to do that.
I guess beta testing will give me the answer!"

If it turns out not to have worked just ask here and we'll help out!

Quote: "As an aside and out of curiosity (Don't tell me if it's too personal) how much are you generally selling your games for?
I know I can't charge very much with a text based games but a lot of hard work has gone into it so I don't really want to give it away for free."

Not too personal at all, you only have to look on AppUp (I had to)! My games all sell for around 2 US Dollars, except for Leapfrog which is only $1.

I'd say $1-2 is about right. Make sure it's obvious it's a text adventure in the description and if people want to buy it they will. There's a 30 day clause that they can cancel their orders within if they're not happy anyway.

Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 18:37
Quote: "I have a quick request.re Appup details"

Hi baxslash. Is this something TGC have requested of you or is it something you are doing off your own bat?
Can you give a bit more info into the objective?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 21:19
Quote: "Hi baxslash. Is this something TGC have requested of you or is it something you are doing off your own bat?
Can you give a bit more info into the objective?"

It's a request from TGC for the newsletter. An article about the 'Group' to get people interested in developing for AppUp

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Baxslash could you add me to list my games coming along nicely and should have somethin to show pretty soon
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 23:10
Added Teh Stone!

Any teasers on what the game's gonna be?

I just made those changes to "The Last Stand", the sparks and a bit of semi-darkness now and then really add to the atmosphere on level 1!

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 02:00 Edited at: 25th Feb 2011 09:21
I'm litterally at the edge of the seat, it's a great feeling to have something to show for my work.
Beta test has been started, crossing my fingers that it works!

EDIT: The banner is brilliant.

EDIT2: I had some problems making a demo application, it kept saying the name was invalid even though I added DEMO after Shadowcast, so I had to name it SC Demo, Added you as tester for that too if it's okay?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 10:04
I'll download it tonight if I get a chance (but it is Friday night).

Quote: "The banner is brilliant"

Thanks

Quote: "I had some problems making a demo application, it kept saying the name was invalid even though I added DEMO after Shadowcast, so I had to name it SC Demo, Added you as tester for that too if it's okay?"

That's odd. I just named my demos "AppName - Demo" and it worked fine...

"SC Demo" might not get much response on downloads unless you have a cool Icon. I would suggest waiting till tonight then try again. You can delete Apps fairly easily. Just a suggestion.

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 11:31 Edited at: 25th Feb 2011 11:33
That sounds alot better is there an update?

Originally never thought of releasing it just a bit of fun but if it gets any interest I might, it's just basically a side view platform shooter aiming for a movement/physics style of the flash game "n game" not nearly close to accomplishing that yet but got all the setup done, editor mostly done and basic movement but not nearly what I want it to be like

so yeah it's a pretty common game really nothin revolutionary
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 11:39
Quote: "That sounds alot better is there an update?"

Very soon, just considering a re-vamp on the scoring and online highscore table...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 14:46
Sorry to double post, again... but new subject matter:

Backlash - Ninja Training is more or less ready to upload to AppUp again after some behind the scenes changes. Mainly to get it running smoothly at around 40fps on my Netbook (best I could get out of it).

Anyway if anyone wants to Beta test the full version here is a link:
Backlash - Ninja Training - Beta

Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 16:47 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 12:55
Just a quick look at my latest game appup - LogicMaster

Based on the peg game MasterMind but with variations and having 2240 levels.

Nearing completion, I expect this one to be submitted in March this year hopefully using War setup3

(n.b image improved)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 16:51 Edited at: 25th Feb 2011 21:35
I remember that game. Keep up the good work Juney, I forgot to add your games to the list... one sec!

EDIT: Adding image for next post...

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 21:32 Edited at: 25th Feb 2011 21:36
@DarkByNight, I tested your App and got an error on installing. Looks like you might need to check how you're building your installer. What are you using?

Here are the error messages I get after downloading and trying to play the game:
First this one from windows;

Then this one in the AppUp client;

Attachments

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 02:52
That's what I get for wanting to complete this thing before I get married, then I rushed it and it blew up.
Oooh well, getting married the first and after we return from my wifes village I will try to get it right!
Thanks again Baxslash!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 09:52
No problem, and congratulations!

I'll try to help when you get back.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 11:58
For those who haven't seen it yet we have our own section in the March newsletter:
Newsletter March 2011

I'd like to try to get one or two game reviews in next months issue if anyone would like their game covered just let me know and I'll take a look!

I think mine have already been covered and I don't have anything new to show just yet so get in touch for some free publicity

I know you can contact Steve Vink directly but if you're working on or have a finished AppUp game you'd like covered in the newsletter it might be nice to put it under the AppUp Dev Group section to encourage this mini-community and get more people interested too.

Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 13:52
First of all, congratulations baxslash, big achievement in getting a column in the newsletter, well done.

My "LogicMaster" is nearing completion, famous last words, so i will be sending you a copy, hopefully later this week, for you to try and review, (obviously depending on what you think).

Lets hope many more try to contribute to your column so that it keeps going.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 14:00
Thanks Juney!

The games that stick out for a review to me are "Brixoid", "Super Static Party", "Colors" and your games Juney but I'll check through the back issues of the newsletter to check what hasn't had any coverage yet.

Anyone who has a game on (or nearly on) AppUp that isn't listed in the first post of this thread or in the latest newsletter then let me know!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 21:36
Great job on the AppUp section in the March newsletter, baxslash!
I know it's a bit late to say, but about the banner, it loox great too, except for the three different fonts. I would limit them to two (if possible). Either make the first 'AppUp' the same font as the 'Developers Group' words, or vice versa. And the edges look a bit too edgy and sharp instead of round and smooth.

Quote: "The games that stick out for a review to me are "Brixoid""

That would be awesome.
Just let me know when you're gonna interview me, okay?

@Juney:
Good luck with your game 'LogicMaster'! Loox great already. I loved to play MasterMind.

Cheers

SLAYER RULES! YEAH, MAN!!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 11:48
Quote: "Great job on the AppUp section in the March newsletter, baxslash!"

Thanks!

Quote: "I know it's a bit late to say, but about the banner, it loox great too, except for the three different fonts. I would limit them to two (if possible). Either make the first 'AppUp' the same font as the 'Developers Group' words, or vice versa."

Yeah, I wasn't too happy about that either but I spent a while looking for one similar enough to either of the others and got bored. Frankly I thought someone else would come up with something better

Quote: "And the edges look a bit too edgy and sharp instead of round and smooth."

I'll make some edits for next months issue...

Quote: "Just let me know when you're gonna interview me, okay?"

That would be great, it's been a while since I had proper belgian beer! I guess I should do it by Email though right?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 11:58
Nice work on the newsletter! - I'd like you to review my new game if you would.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 12:03
Quote: "And the edges look a bit too edgy and sharp instead of round and smooth."

That may be my fault on the newsletter version, I added the Web2 glossy look and may have caused the jaggy look on the banner corners.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 12:09 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2011 12:27
Quote: "Nice work on the newsletter! - I'd like you to review my new game if you would."

Sure Van B! I'll take a look.

Quote: "That may be my fault on the newsletter version, I added the Web2 glossy look and may have caused the jaggy look on the banner corners."

I just sent you an updated version but here it is anyway:

EDIT: My wife is an English teacher so I had a big discussion about whether I should have used an Apostrophe in "Developers" last night. My thought was it is a Group of Developers not a Group belonging to Developers, therefore no Apostrophe.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 14:54
I've now had several requests for games to be reviewed and will no doubt do them all in the near future. I will let each of you know by Email if I am looking to try your games. If you don't hear anything from me it's nothing personal I will get round to all of them at some point I hope!

I'm also going to put some useful info in that we have gathered as we've gone along.

I only have the content of this thread and the other AppUp threads to go on at the moment. If you have any useful info please post it here and I'll try to put some useful stuff together.

Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 21:05
I have made a demo version of my Appup game "LogicMaster" available for download if anyone would like to test / try.
It is basically the full version but with the following restrictions:
1) It will play for 5 games and then exit.
2) Any saved score/level data will be cleared at the end of this session.
n.b You can of course just load it up again and play additional 5 game sessions.

The Appup is intended for netbooks but will automatically run on laptops and desktops as well. If you decide to test it could you also let me know whether it is on a pc/laptop/or netbook together with any comments/errors etc.

Its a zip file about 6.5Mb with a single exe inside.

LogicMasterDemo

Thanks

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 22:15
Hey Juney

I had a few games (not enough to fully test yet) and the gameplay works fine on my netbook. Plays just how you would expect. I like this twist on the old game!

The music is really good too but seems to stutter a little on my netbook? Maybe try reducing the quality a little?

The sound effects are funny but maybe a little annoying after a while because they are so strange

The main menu is a little too much on screen for a main menu. Maybe give the different modes a sub-menu or a catchy name? There's a lot to read for a first page. Also some mouse control would be better in the menu than having to press a number, more natural somehow.

Other than that it's great, fun and addictive. It'll appeal to anyone with a logical mind.

I'll test more thoroughly when I get a chance but I noticed on my PC when playing the game sometimes when I pressed "1" or "2" or "3" it would assume that number for the first step like it wasn't waiting till I released the key.

Good work Juney! Email me if you want any further clarification.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 01:20:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 01:20:08