Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / TGC App Developers Group

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys just checking up on everyone.
I'm glad someone finally fixed the war setup code. Thanks Juney! I had to download the trial version vs 2008 to submit my game. Now I can just use war setup.

Very nice Slayer! You finally got that game done. Congratulations!

I have a question how do I get my game in the newsletter? I got this new game called Colors! that is out. I would like for it to be in the newsletter. Also baxslash you never got back with me on that game idea. I'm still waiting on what was said. I'm now trying to figure out what my next game should be about. If anyone needs any help with there games you can page me, or email me.

I would like for my next game for the Appup store to be done with a partner. The reason is my coding skills are great, but my game design, and art work needs work. It would be great to find someone who has game design experience with art work. I think with the right mixture of game design, art work, and coding should make the game a lot better.

Well guys keep up the hard work your doing great! cya guys later.

darkvee
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 23:05
Quote: "Too bad, baxslash. I was hoping to send you the latest version of Brixoid to get tested on your netbook, but it'll have to wait for later, right?
I think I got all them bugs out, so I looked forward to know how it runs now on your netbook, but if you're on holiday, I wont bother you."

Hey @The Slayer! I'll test ASAP but just got back today and I'm out at the pub tomorrow night... holidays are great!

Quote: "Enjoy your holiday baxslash, you deserve it"

Thanks Hodgey, I did!! The best Easter holiday weather I've ever had in the UK!!

Quote: "I have simply used a Web container, and put Google AdSense in the container. I have Blue GUI (which I think is now free?) which contains a very easy to use web container...2 lines of code to add it and display my web page (which is the size of a banner)."

Hi Steve! I have BlueGUI too. I'd love to hear more about how to impliment that and some idea of revenue if you wouldn't mind mailing me? It would fit in with a future newsletter article I was hoping to run...

Quote: "Hum, strange. Baxslash didn't mention any problems with Brixoid regarding the highscores stuff."

Never noticed any but I'll check that when I test. Good spot Hodgey

Quote: "I have a question how do I get my game in the newsletter? I got this new game called Colors! that is out. I would like for it to be in the newsletter."

Hi darkvee! You can either contact Batvink here: [href=mailto:steve@thegamecreators.com]Batvink[/href]

...or I could add you to the relatively short list of games I am reviewing in the AppUp DBP Developers Group articles (consider that done already)

Quote: "Also baxslash you never got back with me on that game idea."

Sorry darkvee I thought I was waiting to hear back from you. My memory is getting worse with age I'm afraid send me an email (I haven't checked for over a week so don't worry if you already did)

This goes for anyone I do dealings with: I have a BAD memory but my intentions are good, sorry if I seem to forget any requests / discussions etc.

Quote: "I would like for my next game for the Appup store to be done with a partner. The reason is my coding skills are great, but my game design, and art work needs work. It would be great to find someone who has game design experience with art work. I think with the right mixture of game design, art work, and coding should make the game a lot better."

I can personally vouch for this, I'd like to help myself but I think I may be overstretching myself at the moment!!

I'll try to digest my email and these posts properly when I've settled back into reality and found out whether (as might be the case) my youngest has scarlet fever...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 03:07
Quote: "Thanks Hodgey, I did!! The best Easter holiday weather I've ever had in the UK!!"

So it didn't rain then Well, its better than the weather we're getting here in Sydney, its raining.

Quote: "Never noticed any but I'll check that when I test. Good spot Hodgey"

Thanks

I'm starting a new project and hopefully will have something to show you guys soon and performance shouldn't be an issue with this type of application, that's a relief isn't it baxslash? I will continue working on Flamin' Buggy but working on the one project can get boring so I think it will be fun to have a couple of projects going at once.

A clever person solves a problem, a wise person avoids it - Albert Einstein
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 08:23
Quote: "I'm starting a new project and hopefully will have something to show you guys soon and performance shouldn't be an issue with this type of application, that's a relief isn't it baxslash? I will continue working on Flamin' Buggy but working on the one project can get boring so I think it will be fun to have a couple of projects going at once"

Yes, performance is one of the main issues we seem to have isn't it?

I always have a lot of projects going but it does mean some fall by the wayside occasionally... some really interesting projects have been 'dropped' simply because I got bored. It's a shame really but I learn a lot from the odd socks as well as the pairs.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 14:24
Quote: "Very nice Slayer! You finally got that game done. Congratulations!"

Well, almost done, that is.
I'm still eliminating some bugs regarding FPS and the UAC on Windows 7.
But thanks anyways, dude! Whats the news on your games?

Quote: "I would like for my next game for the Appup store to be done with a partner. "

What type of game(s) do you have in mind?

Quote: "Hey @The Slayer! I'll test ASAP but just got back today and I'm out at the pub tomorrow night... holidays are great! "

Hey baxslash, you're back. How was the holiday? Hope you had a good relaxing time?
I'll send you the new version later today. So, whenever you have the time, I'd appreciate it if you could test it? Thanks.

@Hodgey
Later today I'll upload and send you the new 'fixed' version of Brixoid too. It would be very kind of you if you could test it once more. Thanks.

Cheers

SLAYER RULES! YEAH, MAN!!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 16:32
Quote: "Hey baxslash, you're back. How was the holiday? Hope you had a good relaxing time?
I'll send you the new version later today. So, whenever you have the time, I'd appreciate it if you could test it? Thanks."

Holiday was superb thanks! I'll check my email in a while, mountain of it by now I imagine...

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Happy Easter Everyone!
I hope everyone has a jolly of a Easter.

Hi Slayer,

I just got a game done. The name of the game is Colors! Tt is a digital iSpy game with a twist. Here is the link for more information about it. http://www.appup.com/applications/applications-Colors!

Quote: " What type of game(s) do you have in mind?"

I'm not sure yet. I will know once me, and a partner discuses this. This is going to be a team game so both of us will have to come up with the type of game we're going to make.

darkvee
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 22:49
Colors is really well done. I thought at first it was a kids game but it has levels of difficulty that are really quite challenging and addictive. Check it out if you get a chance.

Haven't even looked at the email mountain yet (I daren't) so don't be annoyed if I haven't replied to something

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 09:38
@The Slayer, just tested Brixoid and it ran great on my netbook. Check your email for my reply regarding those other issues.

Really great work optimising it! The game plays really smooth and plays great.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 21:13
Quote: "Really great work optimising it! The game plays really smooth and plays great."

That's terrific news! Thanks for testing it, fella! That bug has been hunting me for aaaaaaages.

Quote: "Check your email for my reply regarding those other issues."

One bug done, the remaining to go. Heheheheh. The bug with teh local score, did it happen more than once? Can you reproduce the error?

Thanks again.

Cheers

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2011 04:22
Quote: "The bug with teh local score, did it happen more than once?"

Your 'fixed' version fixed it for me, I no longer have a problem with the local highscores.

Quote: "Really great work optimising it! The game plays really smooth and plays great.
"

Exactly what I was thinking

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2011 11:15
Quote: "The bug with teh local score, did it happen more than once? Can you reproduce the error?"

Yeah, it happened twice. The first time there was a huge score at the bottom, the next time it had moved up the board slightly (the image I sent you).

I'll try it on my work machine at lunch time.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2011 01:10 Edited at: 27th Apr 2011 18:06
Quote: "I'll try it on my work machine at lunch time."

Didn't get the chance (been working on the next newsletter article), sorry @The Slayer!

I've just made a quick guide to making an installer using Visual Studio 2008 and a setup template I've prepared (uploading now). Attached is the guide and I'll post the template link ASAP. This is in addition to Juney's work and will form most of this month's article along with two game reviews!

EDIT: Here's the template - VS2008 Installer Template for AppUp

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2011 01:17
Quote: "Didn't get the chance (been working on the next newsletter article), sorry @The Slayer!"

No worries, baxslash! Take your time.
Thanks.

Cheers

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2011 17:14
Hi. I've been working on a game for AppUp for a few months now and I just wondered if anyone would be willing to test it for me? If you would, I'll email you a link where you can download it from. This would be really great, both for checking performance and checking the wretched installer works.

Talking of installers, I wondered if you could help me on an issue. When I install my game, it is placed in the Program Files folder as expected. However in the code, I save an image. When this code runs I get an error which I believe is caused by not having sufficient permissions to read/write to the program files folder. This is on Windows 7. Whilst the issue is easily fixed by running in admin mode, I think this is hardly satisfactory as the end user would have to do this themselves. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could either avoid running into the permissions issue or alternatively get the War Setup 3 installer to make the program run as administrator by default so that the end user does not have to change this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2011 18:36
Quote: "Talking of installers, I wondered if you could help me on an issue."

You will not be able to save, i.e write to a folder/file within programs because of UAC permissions. However there are a number of folders without these permission restrictions such as Documents or MyPictures.
Because XP and W7 use slightly different paths for thes folders and your Appup should be compatible for both, you will find a solution using IanM's Matrix plugin which enables you to use such directories very easily.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2011 19:34
@Juney
Just what I was looking for. I've implemented that and it works a treat. Better still, I'd been handling all my temporary files myself in real directories but thanks to your hint, I've descovered a host of useful directory commands including dir dbpro temp() that directs you to a special temporary file just for your program and which is deleted at the end. Thanks!
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2011 11:12
@ Lucas Tiridath I'm happy to test your game for you, just email me the link.

@ Baxslash CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your "Valued Member" badge, you are indeed a very valued member of these forums and now it's in writing. Any chance you could lend it to me for a day

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2011 12:31
@Hodgey
Thanks for the offer . I've sent you an email with a link. Just hope it works for you!
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2011 17:45
Sorry for the double post. I've just been trying to set up the authentication thing for AppUp from the guide here but I've encountered a problem. It says:

Quote: "5. Launch runATDS.bat found in Intel Atom Developer Program SDK\0.91\bin"

Although I've installed the SDK from Intel (I installed the C++ & .NET ones, I don't know if that's right) which I downloaded from here, I've not been able to find this directory. I have a C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel folder but that doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. I've also run a search of the C drive for the file and I got no results. Any guidance on where I might be able to download this file from would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2011 18:26 Edited at: 1st May 2011 19:48
I think it might just be a case of running the "run.bat" file found on yr machine probably here:-

C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Atom Developer Program SDK\Tools\Debugger\run.bat

Double click it to run, and minimise it if you like to get it out of the way. You will need to do this every time you launch yr Appup from now on.

note: (in an earlier version of the SDK it was called "runATDS.bat", but more recently has just ben named "run.bat". The location also changed)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2011 22:49
Quote: "@Lucas Tiridath I'm happy to test your game for you, just email me the link."

Me too Lucas just let me know via my email address!

Quote: "@Baxslash CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your "Valued Member" badge, you are indeed a very valued member of these forums and now it's in writing. Any chance you could lend it to me for a day"

Wow, thanks! I haven't even read the newsletter yet but that's a real honour!! Thanks TGC and thank you for your congrats!

Lucas I think Juney is right, they got the name wrong you aren't the first or the last to wonder about that.

Off out to the pub in a moment so I'll just read the newsletter and be off out (although I heard it was an epic one so I may just start reading it near the bottom somewhere ;P )

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2011 23:53 Edited at: 2nd May 2011 00:38
Wow thanks for all the help everyone

@Juney
Quite right again! Thanks you saved me pulling my hair out for a few hours over that one.

And I gather I have you and baxslash to thank for the excellent guide on AppUp installers in this months newsletter. Right on queue I say; just what I was looking for. I'd ask how you worked out all those things you needed to do to the msi through Orca but I fear the answer would do irreparable damage to my poor old brain :p

@baxslash
Ty for the offer! As I've been able to get an msi installer onto the beta thing on AppUp now, I'll send you over an email to that so you can download and play it through the AppUp client. Your input on this would be really great. Although this is the third game I've worked on, this is the first one I've tried to release to an audience wider than some close (and sympathetic) friends so I'm ready for any comments you have. I think... :p. And congrats on valued member!

@Hodgey
I'll send you over the AppUp beta link as well. If you've already downloaded the msi at the link I sent you though, don't worry. The game is almost identical. The only changes I've made today are to the splash screen and to add the AppUp validation codes.

EDIT:
Sorry if you received the link loads of times. It looked like it was failing to send but I think it may actually have been sending you loads of messages. Do tell me if you don't receive anything though. I'll try again if it didn't work.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2011 00:44
Quote: "Wow, thanks! I haven't even read the newsletter yet but that's a real honour!! Thanks TGC and thank you for your congrats!"

It's well deserved, you are making a lot of people's visions into a reality by helping them publish their game. Oh, and you have a nice regular feature in the newsletter

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2011 11:24
@ Juney, I've replied to your email and I think RADAR is a great game, very unique which is what makes it so fun. I did get the email(s) about the Appup beta but unfortunately, I won't be able to test it, haven't quite reached the age of majority in my country yet but I'm getting there.

Quote: "It's well deserved, you are making a lot of people's visions into a reality"

I can testify to that

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 11:30 Edited at: 3rd May 2011 11:30
EDIT: Lucas, could you send an invite to Beta test to my other Email: srholding@hotmail.co.uk

I don't have an AppUp account on the address you sent it to, sorry! Maybe I should set one up there anyway...

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 11:59
Quote: "could you send an invite to Beta test to my other Email"

Sure thing. I've sent you the new invite now. Thanks for testing . Hope you enjoy it!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 12:04
Got it, I'll download it ASAP (tonight maybe). Is there a timeframe on the Beta testing phase? I always rush it too much...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 12:48
Quote: "No worries, baxslash! Take your time."

@The Slayer, took another look and I can't seem to pin down when or why this happens. If I delete the highscore file will the game make a new one? Might be worth starting with blank files maybe...?

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 13:32
Quote: "If I delete the highscore file will the game make a new one? Might be worth starting with blank files maybe...?"

Thanks for testing again. Yeah, the game makes a new one if you delete the highscore file.
If I start with blank files, there will be no scores to start with and no way to check if the new score is higher than any of the ones already there.

Cheers

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 14:07
Quote: "Is there a timeframe on the Beta testing phase?"

I don't think so. Do you mean my timeframe or something enforced by Intel? I seem to remember putting in how long the app would be available but I think I left it on the default which was something like 2021 so before that would be good :p

I'd hope to submit it for validation in the next few weeks so long as no major problems emerge but I'm not in too much of a rush. Exams looming and all that so anything major that needs changing will have to wait till after those. Well, in theory anyway.... And I'm not releasing a free version until someone makes that mOceans dll you've been asking for

Thanks again.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 14:23
Quote: "Thanks for testing again. Yeah, the game makes a new one if you delete the highscore file.
If I start with blank files, there will be no scores to start with and no way to check if the new score is higher than any of the ones already there."

I'll try deleting the local highscore file then attempt to replicate the series events.

Quote: "I don't think so. Do you mean my timeframe or something enforced by Intel?"

I just mean are you planning a release date or just waiting till people have tested it? If you're prepared to wait a couple of days I'll fit a proper test in.

Quote: "I'd hope to submit it for validation in the next few weeks so long as no major problems emerge but I'm not in too much of a rush."

That being the case I'll fit one in for sure!

Quote: "I'm not releasing a free version until someone makes that mOceans dll you've been asking for"

I might have another option on that front! Batvink is pointing me in the right direction to add Google Adsense as another advertising option. I'm going to try it in a new release of the Demo for "The Last Stand" in the near future... I'll keep you posted but it looks pretty simple using a GUI plugin like BBB Gui or BlueGUI. Haven't tried it yet though.

I'm not getting much help on the mOcean component since Diggsey and Lee's help and I don't have the knowledge (or time to learn) to make a dll. Maybe I should re-prioritise but if Adsense works I may not need mOcean after all! Gotta love Google

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 15:39
Quote: "That being the case I'll fit one in for sure!"

Ty

Quote: "Batvink is pointing me in the right direction to add Google Adsense"

Ah yes, I saw that post on the thread. I've got BBB GUI so I'd certainly be interested in this solution. Any idea how it compares financially? I know you have to chose between money per thousand impressions and money per click. Maybe I'm just being pessemistic but I really can't see anyone clicking on an ad from an app, nor can I really see me getting over 1k views... But maybe it's just the same with mOceans though.

Quote: "I don't have the knowledge (or time to learn) to make a dll"

When you say that, I assume you mean to make this dll right? Just I notice you say something about a template in your other thread... I've made a very simple dlls for DBP before so if that's all you need, I'd be more than happy to send it to you but from what Diggsey was saying (I saw assembly language in there somewhere), I'm guessing it's a lot more complex than that.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 15:44
Quote: "Any idea how it compares financially? I know you have to chose between money per thousand impressions and money per click. Maybe I'm just being pessemistic but I really can't see anyone clicking on an ad from an app, nor can I really see me getting over 1k views... But maybe it's just the same with mOceans though."

I doubt there's much difference but I figure it's worth finding out. I'll try to post more details soon.

I have 7 games on AppUp at the moment including demos. The demos have had nearly 2000 downloads, so if each person played the game two or three times then that's around 5000-6000 views (increasing). I wouldn't go for the click option personally...

Quote: "When you say that, I assume you mean to make this dll right? Just I notice you say something about a template in your other thread... I've made a very simple dlls for DBP before so if that's all you need, I'd be more than happy to send it to you but from what Diggsey was saying (I saw assembly language in there somewhere), I'm guessing it's a lot more complex than that."

Yeah, it's more this particular dll than anything but I wouldn't mind taking a look at a basic 'solution' to a C++ plugin in Visual Studio, might try making some dll's one day!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 17:02 Edited at: 3rd May 2011 18:00
Double posting for the second time today, sorry!

I have good reason...

I have some free code to ad "Goodle Adsense" adverts into your DBP game!

Theres a bit of work and my way of doing this requires a website for the browser to point to. Here are the steps:

1-Set up an Adsense account here: Google Adsense

2-Create a banner using the wizard (it's pretty simple to do but I'll make a full guide soon) using image only adverts. Copy the code it produces into textpad or something temporarily

3-Add the code to a page on your website with nothing else in it at all (save the url)

4-If you don't have BBB Gui yet then download and install it for free from here: BBB Gui

5-Include the BBB Gui constants file in your project

6-Add the following code at the start of your code somewhere:

7-Add these functions somewhere after your loop (EDIT: While positioning allow for 10 pixels either side and 15 pixels top and bottom in addition to the size of the banner when positioning the banner):

8-Anytime you want to show or hide the banner just use the show/hide functions I added!

That's all!

I have no idea of revenue but this code will at least get you started for free!!! I'm putting it into "The Last Stand - Demo" tonight

Attached is my sample project used to iron out the details.

Attachments

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 17:40
Quote: "I have good reason..."

Yep, that's definitely a good reason!!

Thanks for this! It looks really great. I'll look in to doing this asap although I don't currently have a website.. I can fix that though. I'm sure the old laptop that sits in the corner of the room letting out sparks which I affectionately call the server will be able to do the job :p

Quote: "I have no idea of revenue"

I don't really either but having looked about it, I'm hearing figures like $1-2 per thousand views when you start, ~$10 after a few months when you're more established and ~$25 if you do really really really well.

Thanks again! I'll be sure to keep you posted if I get it running in anything. Gl with Last Stand.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 17:48 Edited at: 3rd May 2011 19:14
Thanks! I just noticed the ad is offset slightly in the window so you might need to make your banner window slightly larger than the banner. I'll look into it...

I also just noticed that there's no "appupplugin.dll" in the new SDK! Do we now need to compile the dll ourselves using the SDK? If so I'd be happy to compile it if only I knew what to do.

Anyone know anything about this?

I was going to try the new upgrade button too but without a compiled dll I don't know where to start... maybe a blank plugin template will be useful quicker than I thought!!

EDIT: I've edited those functions slightly. Allow for 10 pixels either side and 15 pixels top and bottom when positioning the banner for an even border.

EDIT2: I contacted Lee regarding the "appupplugin.dll" and apparently it should be fine:
Quote: "I successfully used an older DLL during the validation process of my last submission (My Doodle Game) so I think it will be fine. If validation rejects on the grounds of using an old SDK let me know and I will look into it."

EDIT3: Here's a sample screenshot from TLS with the Ad in it:

Attachments

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 00:44
Very nice work indeed. Looks like just the ticket

If you're still interested in a DBP plugin template, I've attached one to this post. At the moment, it just contains the command

that pretty much does what it says on the tin. However you should be able to use what's there to make something much more elaborate. I've also thrown in the ini file that talks to the IDE. I think the help files are fairly self explanatory. Just add the link to them between the two = signs in the ini file. Good luck!

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 09:12
Quote: "If you're still interested in a DBP plugin template, I've attached one to this post."

Thanks Lucas! I'll take a look

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 00:03
Juney, Radar is great! Really addictive

You need to include d3dx9_43.dll though. It wasn't on my netbook or in the installer.

I'll test some more and get back to you.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 09:41
Quote: "Radar is great! Really addictive"

Thanks!

Quote: "You need to include d3dx9_43.dll though. It wasn't on my netbook or in the installer."

Oops, I thought all that kind of thing was wrapped up in DBPGDKMergeModule.msm. Maybe that's just DBP's own dlls? So how can I actually include that dll? Should I just throw the dll file in to the root directory or do I need to run the direct x 9c installer from my installer?

Quote: "I'll test some more and get back to you."

Greatly appreciated . Hodgey pointed out an issue with text size which you may be experiencing on your netbook to but I've sorted that now so it will be fixed in the next build.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 10:28
Quote: "do I need to run the direct x 9c installer from my installer?"

I would think that running the latest directx installer from your installer would be the better option.

I'm happy to test your next build of RADAR if you need it tested.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 10:43
Sorry Lucas, I keep thinking Juney made Radar for some reason...

Quote: "Oops, I thought all that kind of thing was wrapped up in DBPGDKMergeModule.msm. Maybe that's just DBP's own dlls? So how can I actually include that dll? Should I just throw the dll file in to the root directory or do I need to run the direct x 9c installer from my installer?"

I would just throw the dll into the game folder like you did with the ones for Matrix Utils. If you include an installer for DX9 you'll have problems with a silent install.

Quote: "Hodgey pointed out an issue with text size which you may be experiencing on your netbook to but I've sorted that now so it will be fixed in the next build."

Didn't notice it in my quick play but I'll let you know.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 12:26
Quote: "I would think that running the latest directx installer from your installer would be the better option."

I thought that from DirectX 9 onwards, MS stopped backwards compatibility. Thus having DirectX 11 wouldn't allow you to run DBP software. Or am I just making that up? :p

Quote: "I'm happy to test your next build of RADAR if you need it tested."

Ty! I'll be sure to keep you posted when the next build is ready.

Quote: "Sorry Lucas, I keep thinking Juney made Radar for some reason..."

Np lol! I'm flattered, that must mean you think it's good

Quote: "I would just throw the dll into the game folder like you did with the ones for Matrix Utils."

I should be able to manage that. I'll throw that in for the next build then.

Quote: "Didn't notice it in my quick play but I'll let you know."

I think the issue was just that the text became very small in the notifications area because I set the text size as proportional to screen height. I've got a better algorithm for resizing text though so I hope this won't be too much of a problem.

Thanks again for all the help
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 12:31
Quote: "I thought that from DirectX 9 onwards, MS stopped backwards compatibility. Thus having DirectX 11 wouldn't allow you to run DBP software. Or am I just making that up? :p"

I think you're right. You would need to use the correct dx9 installer as you suggested.

Quote: "I think the issue was just that the text became very small in the notifications area because I set the text size as proportional to screen height. I've got a better algorithm for resizing text though so I hope this won't be too much of a problem."

OK, I'll look out for that.

Quote: "Thanks again for all the help"

Always a pleasure! Just wish I had the time to do it quicker and more in depth...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 14:01
Quote: "Quote: "I thought that from DirectX 9 onwards, MS stopped backwards compatibility. Thus having DirectX 11 wouldn't allow you to run DBP software. Or am I just making that up? :p"
I think you're right. You would need to use the correct dx9 installer as you suggested."

I have windows 7 which has dx11, according to dxdiag anyway and I don't have any problems running dbpro software but I did install the latest dx update from MS.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 14:24
A DBP game will not run on anything after DX9c unless certain specific dll's have been additionally installed (Installing DBP will add these I think). DX11 does not include all the dll's from the latest DX9c, as I found out when I got my new netbook with Windows 7 installed.

"d3dx9_43.dll" must be used by a plugin but I'm not sure which...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2011 11:01 Edited at: 9th May 2011 11:02
Just checked my AppUp developer account and hooray!! I finally got my Red Belt

Attachments

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline