Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / V120 Public Beta 18 (RC)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 20:00
Quote: "2) Not sure what you're trying to do with the $FPS as it's working for me."

Sorry, I meant setvar=Variable $FPS.

Here's the script I'm using:

:state=0:dimvar=fpsfloat,state=1
:state=1:state=1

:always:setvar=fpsfloat $FPS,debugvar=fpsfloat

However it always returns a value of 0.

Official LightStorm Engine BETA Tester
/?m=forum_view&t=190541&b=21
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 21:54
Using metro theater pack

on calculating object light it resets a couple times

even after say 150/300 reset to 0 start all over again memory almost capped out

When loaded running around 25fps movement is fine water/puddles animation really slow

Objects more then 2 or 3 segments away disapear untill you get a couple feet from it looks ugly showing up when near it i know your aware of it.

======================================
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
SGJB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 02:02
I'm getting this strange "Rainbow" effect on most of my surfaces, just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and if you can fix it?

Other than that I’m impressed, everything seems a lot faster.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 03:28
My apologies if this has been reported already, but when any shotgun shoots a wall or floor it no longer has a spread effect. You can see the multiple decals are on top of each other, just not spread out.

Disturbing13
Dev Forum Store

Attachments

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 08:32
Quote: "I'm getting this strange "Rainbow" effect on most of my surfaces, just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and if you can fix it?"

I've been getting that too.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Marc Steene

Ok, I can confirm that $FPS isn't working when used like that...

Quote: "I'm getting this strange "Rainbow" effect on most of my surfaces"

This has been reported by a couple of people.. Thanks, again, I'll look into it.

@Disturbing 13 - Confirmed.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 10:33 Edited at: 8th Jun 2012 10:35
Quote: "I've been getting that too."

Same here. I usually have purple color in the shadow mid-tones and the light mapping is blotchier. Scene indicated that different compression was being used for memory reduction. I suspect this is a bad color-drop artifact.

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/4854/snapshot14o.png

Quote: "no longer has a spread effect"

I'm getting that too.

edit: x-posted with SC
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 11:41
BUG: Using addvar=$CLA 1 does not add an additional clip to the current weapon

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 12:02
- 2 fps more on my current test level, compared to Beta 1
- 8MB less memory usage (level has not many sound files yet) comapred to B1

Bugs:

- Pickup Weapons are semitransparent
- The Metro theatre projector lightbeam looks solid

Come to where the madness is:http://www.homegrowngames.at
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 17:48 Edited at: 8th Jun 2012 21:50
In the vidtex sample level, when viewing the screen closely and at an angle it turns into an alpha ghost.

Also, there is an illumination shader applied but the entity does not self illuminate. If the ambient is zero, the screen is black. Doesn't seem right.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 19:22
Is it the same issue I had a few iterations ago, with items either glowing, or black?

-Keith

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
No, I don't think so Keith. This just appears to be the shader illumination effect not working and as it's a dynamic entity it is only being affected by ambient and dynamic light.
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2012 19:53 Edited at: 8th Jun 2012 21:03
SC, for the new plrmoveto=X Y command, if we want to keep the camera rotation do we set Y to 1? I've been trying this with no luck :/ Plrmoveto=X works fine but a Y command causes nothing to happen.

EDIT: Also SC, do you know what values are saved during the Save/Load process? This is definitely something that could be worked on as it's quite basic at the moment and any kind of complex scripting will break the system (i.e. variable values are not saved and are reset to their default values, even when using resetglobalsonreload=0). Maybe even the state that a script is in could be saved, and on reload, the engine will automatically jump to that script line.

EDIT2: Entity logic is definitely the biggest performance killer right now (maybe due to the single core processor limitation?), could you give some insight into what commands will have the biggest performance hit? My guess it's a combination of physics and characters and probably calculating distances to the player.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In the vidtex sample level, when viewing the screen closely and at an angle it turns into an alpha ghost."

Confirmed

Quote: "Also, there is an illumination shader applied but the entity does not self illuminate. If the ambient is zero, the screen is black. Doesn't seem right"

No, that doesn't sound right.

Quote: "for the new plrmoveto=X Y command, if we want to keep the camera rotation do we set Y to 1?"

@Marc Steene

There appears to be an issue with this at the moment, use plrmoveifused=x if you can while I work on a fix. I don't think that save/load changes really come under the remit for this update, but I do see your point.

resetglobalsonreload=0 only retains values between levels, not between saves.

As for performance.

Water and Dark AI have the biggest hit
Followed by overly long scripts
Large textures and lightmaps also cause lag.

Physics isn't a massive drain, but anything that requires a raycast (e.g. floor finding, shooting,etc.) will have it's toll.

Calculating distances is a very quick operation and shouldn't cause a major hit.

In general, keeping rooms to a sensible size, using enemies intelligently, and keeping your textures sizes down will yeild the best results.
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 10:31 Edited at: 9th Jun 2012 10:45
Quote: "There appears to be an issue with this at the moment, use plrmoveifused=x if you can while I work on a fix."

Ok sounds good.

EDIT: Does the plrdamagemult command using percentiles or is it values between 0-1?

maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 10:37 Edited at: 9th Jun 2012 10:39
Quote: "Physics isn't a massive drain, but anything that requires a raycast (e.g. floor finding, shooting,etc.) will have it's toll."

same for waypoint-actions, you should have a look at them, too.

you should really take a look at the complete portal system and how they are build. the more "open" rooms (free standing segment-walls, many floors in 1 big room) in a portal the more lags you get. also alpha-transparent textures on 3d-objects cause major lag when (over)used (even flat windows cause this by breaking up the room-portals).
but when i build the complete level on basic floor and build up to floor 19 only in static entities, i can throw in 300.000 polys into 1 portal without any lag at all. somehow the buildup of segments and portals are massively wrong when growing in heightlevels. i found that when looking at the build-calculation while testing my visoverlay-trick in levels using the whole map in height and width.

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 12:48
Hey guys. I actually haven't installed the beta YET, but I heard that you guys might be fixing a bug from v1.19. At least I think it's a bug from that version, being that the collision boxes are too big. I have attached a screencap of the bug that I'm talking about. I was just wondering if this really is a version specific bug, or if my entities are trying to be sly, and if so, will this be fixed in v1.20? Thanks!

"I think I'm getting the 'Black Lung,' pop."

"Derrick, you've been down there for one day."

Attachments

GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 13:00
@BedsideReaper

floating entities i belieave were already discussed i get it also

======================================
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 13:00 Edited at: 9th Jun 2012 13:01
@BesideReaper
That could probably be fixed by applying polygon collision to the model, I wrote a guide about it once, click the "PROFILE" button below my post and then click search, then you should be able to find it.

EDIT: Haha, me and GreenDixy posted at the same time.

-TZK

mickeyb
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a problem with the videotexture.fpm if i load it
and run test game after about a second of the vid playing
will crash with an error.

If i run creator loadup any other fpm or place anything
in the editor it will run without any problems.
Years of Service
User Offline
I just wanted to say BIG THANKS for this new feature of video texturing.

It opened a lot of creative door for doing somethings very interactive for the players.

I was thinking on a lot of things, and will try as soon as i have time. But i would like to know, how can we load different videos in specific states.

I mean this new script is an appear script, but how if i want when player presses a specific key it loads another video. Is this possible?

Because if so, this will allow us to create some awesome things.

In example, i could create a mission where the player must invade a security system to steal a secret file from a computer, so he stands in front of the computer, than on it`s screen load a first video, like the main page of the operational system with asking for a password, so the player presses the correct keys sequence and then it loads another screen (video) asking some other informations, like name, id, and such... So for each screen would be a video file that will be called through a sequence of keys pressed.

Is this possible?

Best Regards.

Goldenye 007 N64
DarthBasicVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 19:14
Hi to all!
I too have a question about videotexture to Scene Commander:
for a big plane mesh (a big screen for example) is it possible to stretch a video texture to fill the mesh without tiling ?

Tx! And tx again for your wonderful work in FPS Creator .. this update is really gorgeous

Riccardo.

Riccardo
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 19:28 Edited at: 9th Jun 2012 19:32
With the uncapped framerate (150+FPS), does anyone else have an issue with muzzle flash sometimes not showing or animations sometimes not showing (like automatic fire)? The first time I ran tests with it was fine but recently I'm getting those sort of issues all the time. Makes me think I had just the right amount of background processes going on before to affect FPS in a way that it was syncing correctly but now not so much.

Quote: "for a big plane mesh (a big screen for example) is it possible to stretch a video texture to fill the mesh without tiling ?"

Yes. The video texture uses the model's UV map coords the same as a regular texture does. So, if you want it stretched, the model needs to be mapped that way. If the texture is tiled or cropped, so will the video be tiled or cropped.

Just keep in mind that you can not mix video texture and regular texture on the same entity. For example, if you have a TV set you would need to have one entity for the TV frame (static) and a different entity for the screen (dynamic). You would then align the two via editor gridsnap.

@007 - I haven't confirmed it myself but if you look at the video texture script, it looks like it should be possible to play different videos in different script states.
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello my dear friend Errant AI,

Thanks for the repply. Yes, i will try to confirm this, as you said, it seems that is possible to have different videos at different states.

WOW, i am very happy with this new adition!!!

This idea of copying secret files from a computer is on the game Goldeneye 007 Reloaded for XBOX 360, on the mode Secret Ops.

You have to find a computer to copy secret files from it, so when you come close to the computer you use a "cracking device" and then on this computer`s screen you see a video "copying files" alongside with a progress bar and percentage count.

So while copying those files you are attacked by enemies, so you must survive untill the files are copied. And the video that is playing on the computer screen changes, in example if get too far away from it, you lose the conection between the cracking device and the computer, you see a message "connection lost...".

So i think i will be able to do this on FPSC!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, i am very gratefull for you having helped me sometime ago when i was trying to make custom animations for characters in FPSC, so you teached me about the animation offset for weapons type.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers.

Goldenye 007 N64
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
I just installed this new beta, and for some reason none of my personally created data is showing up in folders in Windows Explorer any longer, but everything appears and runs fine in test game (even after clearing cache and running FPS Creator Cleaner). The scripts work but don't even show up in the folders. What is going on?
szempek555
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I found a bug I don't know if it has been posted but I will do it now, when I use model pack 52 the characters attack me and I kill then they just freeze, and I can go into and over them, and I also have problems with characters from zombie pack 1 they are like ghost's.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 22:08
Quote: "With the uncapped framerate (150+FPS), does anyone else have an issue with muzzle flash sometimes not showing or animations sometimes not showing (like automatic fire)? The first time I ran tests with it was fine but recently I'm getting those sort of issues all the time."

If the animation system in FPSC is reliant on framerate(which IIRC, it is), then any framerate over ~120 will make any animation shorter than around 5 frames seem instantaneous or nonexistent. Had the same problem in my DarkGDK game last year.

uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 22:13
Am I the only person who has the issue of all dynamic entities, weapons included, being very dark?

If something compiles on the first try. Something is terribly wrong.
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 14:00
If we want to cap the fps, where do we put capfpson? I've tried it in an FPI script but it has no effect (both capfpson and capfpson=1).

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 14:14
@Marc Steene
I would guess it's because it isn't in the latest released beta yet. I think I have the latest one on my PC at the moment, but I made a few modifications to it, those modifications didn't make a difference though, since they didn't work.

@Scene Commander
Shouldn't there be a "syncrate=x" command as well?

case AIACTSYNCRATE:
fpscapnum#=aiactionseq(seq).value
if fpscapnum#>120 then fpscapnum#=120
sync rate fpscapnum#
endcase

-TZK

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 16:14
Don't know if someone said this already (could be that I missed it), but I miss the old way of jumping, where you could steer yourself in the air. You can't do that now Is there a way to enable this or should I just get used to this style (yes, I know nothing about anything, hence the dumb sounding question ).

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 16:19
Quote: "but I miss the old way of jumping"

What, where you could steer and move yourself around like you had a parachute attached to you and defy the laws of physics?

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 16:28
Quote: "What, where you could steer and move yourself around like you had a parachute attached to you and defy the laws of physics?"

Yes, that indeed. It was awesome.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 18:23
Quote: "If we want to cap the fps, where do we put capfpson? I've tried it in an FPI script but it has no effect (both capfpson and capfpson=1)"

It will be in the setup.ini file. However, it's not working there yet either. SC has it coded to read from the setup.ini file anyway.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

~I'm the Terry of the Flatlands.
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I just installed this new beta, and for some reason none of my personally created data is showing up in folders in Windows Explorer any longer, but everything appears and runs fine in test game (even after clearing cache and running FPS Creator Cleaner). The scripts work but don't even show up in the folders. What is going on?
"

Can somebody help me with this? I can't find any of my files in the FPS Creator browser and so I can't make any maps until I can retrieve them.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2012 19:18 Edited at: 10th Jun 2012 19:19
I have a question which is relevant both to this update and previous updates;

When I install a beta, none of my media gets messed up, and yet, when I install an official update, media gets messed up and I have to re-build large chunks of my maps.

Betas and official updates appear to involve nearly identical install processes. When watching the install process of both, I see that the same files get re-installed/updated each time.

So, why is it that media only gets messed up during an official update, and not during a beta install?

frx
Years of Service
User Offline
i am a new person in FPS creator program.. i need help about an error in the bulid stage of the game. any one can help me to tell more informations about the error?
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2012 18:46 Edited at: 11th Jun 2012 18:49
TerrorNation

Quote: "The scripts work but don't even show up in the folders. What is going on?"

Quote: "Can somebody help me with this? I can't find any of my files in the FPS Creator browser and so I can't make any maps until I can retrieve them."

wich one? they dont show up in the fpsc-editor:

use fpsc cleaner, open workbench, rightclick c: > preferences > cleanup, delete tempfiles. when done, restart your machine. should work then.

they dont show up in the folders themselves:

did you use the free-version or x10 before? maybe updated the wrong location or simply look into the wrong folder. use windowssearch with the exact name of a specific file you know and see if it finds it and look where it located it.

TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 12:37 Edited at: 12th Jun 2012 12:44
@maho76

They show up in neither, and I have not used the free version or X10 previously. I installed the beta into my current FPS Creator folder and somehow everything has disappeared, but my harddrive capacity hasn't increased so the files aren't deleted. I'll run my cleaners again and restart to see if anything improves.

Thank you!

EDIT: It turns out they were actually deleted, but thanks to Windows 7, I can restore a previous version which has all of my files in it.
washburnrover
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey SC, idk how hard it would be to change the grid size via hardcoding, but larger grids would be much appreciated, even better would be an option in the preferences (e.g. toggling between a 40x40x25, 80x80x25, 160x160x25, even 320x320x25 grid size). But it's a feature many (including myself) have craved for, i think it's about time to get it out of the way ideally a user-input of the grid-size would be best, but i don't know how that'd effect the stability and such...

That Big Idea guy that can't find the time...
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 04:54
@washburnrover that would be some what of a bad idea. i have seen fpsc loose performance over the most dumb things and not to speak on the memory cap.as great it would be fpsc cant handle that at this time.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
washburnrover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 05:47 Edited at: 14th Jun 2012 05:48
@ michael x
I understand that, sorry, I should've said that in my original post. It should say something like "Beta" or "Use setting at own risk" or something, as for the memory cap, i take it off (i only have 3gb ram on my craptop... i mean laptop.... but i use either paging files or flashdrive-based extra-ram, but i run only slightly worse when using over 5 gb of ram with a level).

Though irritating, i like beta features because i'd rather have a less-stable feature (feature, not the whole engine) than not have that feature at all. It opens up a world of options to achieve your dream game, despite the effort)

EDIT (unrelated to my original post): What type of files are used for video-textures?

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "but larger grids would be much appreciated,"

If that happens, I'm afraid that will have to be for a much later update. This build is 99% for stability and improvements to performance.

@All,

I'm looking at fixing those last niggiling bugs that I'm sure you've all got. If it hasn't already been reported, and you can supply an FPM and and relevent scripts so I can replicate it easily, this is the time to report it.

Best

SC
washburnrover
Years of Service
User Offline
@Scene Commander
Hey man, that's okay with me! My laptop has an AMD sempron 2.1 Ghz CPU (1-core) and a radeon 3100 GFX card (non-hd), so performance improvements are always appreciated

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 14:28 Edited at: 16th Jun 2012 15:41
Hi Scene Commander,

The setifused= command does not seem to work. I'll post a small stock level with a custom script to show you what I mean.

EDIT: Map & Script attached.

Attachments

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 17:51
Quote: "I'm looking at fixing those last niggiling bugs"

Good to see you're wrapping the update up nice and quick Did the issue with setvar=variable $FPS get fixed?

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Any ETA for beta3?

As a side note, I hope that we will have time to evaluate any release candidates prior to an official 1.20 update. (I think some of the issues with previous versions 1.17 - 1.19 could have been caught that way)
washburnrover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 19:32 Edited at: 16th Jun 2012 19:33
Bug Report:

Someone may have seen this earlier, idk
but in the example of the videotexture-map, the videotexture faded when i started to turn away from it. idk why that would be, and i did clean my dbo files before-hand (and am using 120.2)

Edit:
pic attached

Attachments

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 21:45
Quote: "that would be some what of a bad idea. i have seen fpsc loose performance over the most dumb things and not to speak on the memory cap.as great it would be fpsc cant handle that at this time.
"

I don't think limiting users is the right way to go about things, if the level designer can work efficiently and perform the right optimizations then a larger grid is definitely viable. 40x40x20 used to be good back in the days when FPSC was designed only for indoor use and when graphics cards weren't as powerful as they are now, but FPSC has expanded in ways that Lee never expected, and a lot of people are making outdoor levels. I do feel it's limiting creative outdoor design a bit but as SC said, it requires major changes which shouldn't be done in v1.20.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 09:17
Hi Scene Commander,
I think I found a bug. It's actually a bug Meows found, but I'm just confirming it.
If you set a non-character entity to appear on the radar, their blip does not show up. I used the appear set as objective script that you released a few weeks ago.

The enemy character blips appear, but jot the objective.
I'll post the fpm later.

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to no larger than 600 x 120.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:51:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:51:46