Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / V120 Public Beta 18 (RC)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 10:54 Edited at: 18th Jun 2012 11:22
Hey guys,
since I haven't released one of these in a while, here you go, it's the latest version of FPSC as of today. r675

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70702956/FPSC_675.rar

Note: This link is not officially supported, and may\will contain bugs, since beta 3 is not ready for an official public release yet.

-TZK

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 11:03 Edited at: 18th Jun 2012 11:09
Quote: "The enemy character blips appear, but jot the objective."

I'm afraid this appears to be working for me, I'll check out the fpm when you post it in case you're doing something I'm not.

@All

The Zombie Killer's link is not offcially supported and will still contain errors as beta 3 is NOT yet ready for public release.
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 11:21
@Scene Commander
Yeah, I should actually put that in the posts when I release them lol. I'll edit it and add that in. I always forget to put stuff like that.

-TZK

ladas51
Years of Service
User Offline
I installed it and it turned my fpsc into free version. I tried doing that thing with the name and the serial but it didn' t work. Any suggestions????
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 17:16 Edited at: 18th Jun 2012 21:08
Quote: "since I haven't released one of these in a while, here you go, it's the latest version of FPSC as of today. r675"

If going by the other packs zombie killer has uploaded to compile the source he might still be using an old lightmapping.dll as his other packs has the old version.
Just a little reminder to zombie killer that the lightmapping .dll was changed many thanks for posting the update.

@scene
The only problem I see at the moment with this release is the uncap fps this has always been a cause of problems with the engine.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The only problem I see at the moment with this release is the uncap fps this has always been a cause of problems with the engine."

This is being dealt with for the next beta, and a reasonable compromise which should see stability and a still decent FPS for all users. Fingers crossed.
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 20:52
SC, did the issue with plrcamoffset not affecting the player weapon get fixed? And that using addvar=$CLA 1 doesn't add an extra ammo clip to the gun?

Official LightStorm Engine BETA Tester
/?m=forum_view&t=190541&b=21
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This is being dealt with for the next beta, and a reasonable compromise which should see stability and a still decent FPS for all users. Fingers crossed. "

Nice I hope you all the best fingers crossed as well.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 11:30 Edited at: 19th Jun 2012 11:37
@s4real
Yeah, I'm aware of the LightMapper.dll change, I don't know if it's in my copy of the modder's kit though. Hm, if it's not, I'll update the modder's kit.

EDIT: Nope, I'm up-to-date and so is the modder's kit.

-TZK

washburnrover
Years of Service
User Offline
any chance that video textures could be used on guns? more likely in my case, a smartphone held in layers hand while having a Web-Cam chat with someone. I think it'd be pretty sweet

I'm liking how 1.20 is coming along guys, great work!

My Craptop's Specs: Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD sempron 2.1 GHz single-core CPU; ATI radeon 3100 non-HD 256mb dedicated, up to 1.5 GB total; 3 GB DDR2 333 MHz RAM
Screen Resolution: 1280 x 800
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@The Zombie Killer :- Nice keep up the good work it helps many to compile the source.

Waiting for beta 3 hope its a good one.

best s4real

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 14:56
If you can allow users a choice of capping frame rates themselves or not it would be a good idea I think to allow that and give freedom of choice to level designers to decide how to use the engine to best advantage given their particular circumstances.

Though I have some under standing of the reasons, hard coded limitations and prevention of use, or removal of existing features hold back game designers and have done so with FPSC.

In the case of FPS - low fps itself has always impacted badly on stability in levels and during gameplay in game engines and particularly in FPSC.

I understand these are complex issues with many factors involved and I speak in general terms where giving the actual game makers anything you can to help them improve their game making has to be a good thing. Yes they will then always push the boundaries of what they do with what they are given and thats a good thing not a bad thing even if they break what they have by pushing those limits too far. Its then the creators choice to use the tools sensibly.

Without the choice then the boundaries of what can be achieved are always limited by whats available.

Personally I found the uncapped fps and the choice of having it the best thing by far thats happened to FPSC for many years and more important to the developer than any other update or feature thats been included since EA and V1.

SC and TGC has done a terrific job here in enhancing FPSC performance and the uncapping of the Frame Rate was a bold and long overdue step. To be highly commended and something we should all thank them for. "Thanks"

I have some glitches and issues in the latest versions, none of which I could attribute to Frame Rates being too high, however I have a lot of benefits from the uncapped frame rates. I have scope to actually do more creatively and physically with more stable levels and gameplay than since EA version of FPSC. I still have levels created in FPSC in the EA and V1 versions which had to be cut in half in later versions as the engine has never since been able handle them performance wise as they are just to large and complex for it even today with the uncapped Frame Rates, largely because other added features drain the engine of resources.

I have quite an acceptably powerful computer now and had to manage with a (getting older) low spec machine for some years, still I need every fps I can get to even achieve the same content and performance overall in levels and gameplay of FPSC of years ago.

However the Frame Rate is set its the lowest fps in a game that matters and not the highest, thus its the minimum average that can be maintained that matters at the lowest points of gameplay fps. To that end the higher the better to start off with as FPSC will quickly drain away that as your level complexity builds and during actual gameplay.

There are lots of issues. The FPSC engine, performance, stability, gameplay.

I could write a book but in the case of FPSC as with most engines, simply put generally speaking Low FPS is bad, High FPS is good and freedom of the game designer to use resources wisely and "creatively" can only be a good thing for any game engine.

On the question of FPSC World, Grid Size of 40 x 40. How nice it would be if one could have the 100 x 100 grid originally envisaged even if it could be as an extension to the world boundary outside of the current 40 x 40 where perhaps active character entities could not enter, rather so as to provide a more realistic view in outside levels toward the level boundary if nothing else which in and of itself would improve games "visually" made with FPSC dramatically.

Not sure that this would ever be possible considering issues which I am sure I do not fully understand. Again if a choice was possible without affecting performance it might be a good idea to allow that choice. I don't see how that would be possible but would not know. As always I am sure if it was you would already have it.

I think one may have to be happy with what has been achieved recently with the increased performance and again I thank SC and anyone else involved in the development of FPSC for the marked improvement which is most welcome.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

Just to update everyone on progress. I am working towards beta 3, but due to a temporary change in personal circumstances I'm finding myself with very little time at the moment, and imagine that it will last for another couple of weeks at least.

@Uman, thanks for your kind words. I think FPS will always be a difficult balance, as like most engines, it's a fine balance attempting to give as many users as possible a satisfactory experience. I'm fairly confident that beta 3 will meet most expectations.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 17:53
Quote: "Just to update everyone on progress. I am working towards beta 3, but due to a temporary change in personal circumstances I'm finding myself with very little time at the moment, and imagine that it will last for another couple of weeks at least."

That's what happens when you neglect your "home duties" and spend hours coding. Bad Scene Commander

You're doing a great job. Gold star!!

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 19:01 Edited at: 20th Jun 2012 19:01
Quote: "That's what happens when you neglect your "home duties""

Quite to opposite . That's what's been taking the time.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 20:14
Quote: "Quite to opposite . That's what's been taking the time. "

That's no excuse, *cracks whip* now get back to it, ON THE DOUBLE!!

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 20:15
Quote: "That's no excuse, *cracks whip* now get back to it, ON THE DOUBLE!!"

That's what Mrs. Scene Commander said.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 20:19
Quote: "That's what Mrs. Scene Commander said."

Yes, I've heard the stories

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 20:23
Pretty soon he'll need to add commands for *all* us husbands.

AIACTFEEDKIDS
AIACTTAKEOUTGARBAGE
AICONDIFWIFEHAPPY
AIACTRELAX

...just to name a few...

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 20:32
Aah yes, my three most wanted would be;

AIACTDODIY
AIACTPRETENDLIKEINLAWS
AIACTPRETENDLIKEJEREMYKYLE

gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 21:52
Well it's only a matter of time untill the fpsc's db code find itself in the need to be translated to c++ anyway, and i got the felling that this will be brutally hard even for a large team, of course, assuming that it will even happen. And i heard project blue managed to reach dbp's limit, so it's not going to be long until the vanilla engine gets there, i'm afraid that performançe tweaks will no longer be enough in some time soon.

mods for creating a inteligent game,at least
Alien223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 23:27
Wow the performance is amazing... With over 75 people 50 lights and the entire grid filled im still getting a perfect 30-45 fps
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 06:20
Lightstorm Engine (made by Red Eye) is being programmed in C++. Although the engine is only in its early stages I'm getting around a 300-400% performance improvement over FPSC, which is pretty impressive.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 10:51
Good grief Alien, are you running some sort of supercomputer?

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to no larger than 600 x 120.
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 13:01
Well, Ched80, I would say that the computer that I'M using could handle what Alien is pulling, but my poor fpsc creator would probably self destruct and attempt taking me with it. My question is ALIEN! ARE YOU FROM THE FUTURE?

"I think I'm getting the 'Black Lung,' pop."

"Derrick, you've been down there for one day."
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 16:42
Quote: "Wow the performance is amazing... With over 75 people 50 lights and the entire grid filled im still getting a perfect 30-45 fps"

You are talking about the auditorium where you just presented FPS Creator, right?

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Snake675
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 19:21
Hi

Thanks a lot for this (beta)update. I recognized two small issues. The player starts a little from the floor and falls on it after first movement. I played around with that great feature videotexture you implemented. When the entity with the video on it is destroyed, the video sound does not stop. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja1ril-hbto
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 23:14
Before this version the player would jump up and then back to the floor. For me personally, this is an improvement. I'd rather the player be slightly up and then go down to the floor rather than jumping up like he was scared of something.

Of course, if it could be tweaked even more slightly to be closer to the floor in the beginning that would be good, too.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

~I'm the Terry of the Flatlands.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "uncapping of the Frame Rate was a bold and long overdue step. "

Personally I do not believe the framerate should be uncapped nor should it remain uncapped. Without "Vsync" set on if your screen refresh is 120Hz (like most computer monitors) your screen can only display 60 frames in a second. So if your game is running at something like 80FPS then the extra 20 frames will be "thrown out" and this will waste CPU cycles which will put a bigger load on the CPU.

Sean

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2012 01:45
Hockeykid,

"Personally I do not believe the framerate should be uncapped nor should it remain uncapped. Without "Vsync" set on if your screen refresh is 120Hz (like most computer monitors) your screen can only display 60 frames in a second. So if your game is running at something like 80FPS then the extra 20 frames will be "thrown out" and this will waste CPU cycles which will put a bigger load on the CPU."

A valid point from one point of view not really relating to what I was referring to overall.

Anyway apart from that which I would not wish to add to......as said if possible why not give the user the choice and let game developers decide how they want to use the option rather than impose the restriction and give no choice.

Said my bit on that now moving on.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2012 03:21 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2012 12:08
Quote: "Tweaks to FPS to handle animation issues.
added SETSYNCRATE=x to allow users to remove or set their own FPS cap"

Quote from r676, published earlier.

Addendum:

In r676 the default cap is now 140. As mentioned the developer can change this to whatever he wants. Also, You can turn cap on or off.

@SC, I'm a little confused about that. If cap is on is it then set to 80? I think I saw that somewhere in the code. If it is off then we can set the sync rate to whatever?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

~I'm the Terry of the Flatlands.
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2012 09:35
Just thought I'd say something here
Having extra options in setup.ini is a BAD, bad idea, FPSCreator.exe deletes extra values whenever you click test game, and also seems to when you change your preferences. I suggest that it's put in something like "v119_additions.ini" obviously it wouldn't be called that though :p. SC can correct me if I am wrong though, it's just that I noticed this when I was porting CorVus mod.

-TZK

Susysyay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 00:23
I am suffering really bad slow downs with FPS. On levels that ran 40-50FPS average on both 1.18 and 1.19, I know get 10-20fps tops. I noticed that my Entity Logic is through the roof; perhaps this is responsible since it was not nearly as high in 1.18 or 1.19. Anyone have any ideas?

BC2 Fan Game Project
Henry Kucab

-Winner of the X10 Revival Competition, Susysyay
"I'm havin' too good a time today, I ain't even thinkin' bout tomorrow."
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 03:42
Quote: "I am suffering really bad slow downs with FPS. On levels that ran 40-50FPS average on both 1.18 and 1.19, I know get 10-20fps tops. I noticed that my Entity Logic is through the roof; perhaps this is responsible since it was not nearly as high in 1.18 or 1.19. Anyone have any ideas?"

Have you tried recreating the levels in V1.20 from scratch? Not using the V118 or V119 FPM files.

TriSpefear Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 05:19
Can someone please post the Fpsc_Game.exe? Mine keeps getting corrupted

"Everyone may doubt me, but your just giving me more of a reason to continue on..."
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 05:40
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 09:18
Bug Report:

SetVarRnd=Var X doesn't seem to work. The script snippet I'm using is below:

dimlocalvar=idledelay,setvarrnd=idledelay 3000,addvar=idledelay 4000

It always returns a value of 4000 (and when removing the addvar command, it returns 0).

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 12:15 Edited at: 24th Jun 2012 12:51
Just need a little help here guys, I don't know if this is a problem with FPSC, or my script. I have a perfectly working topdown shooter script, but the only problem is the character seems to have problems with falling, it keeps staying at the current floor. Also, I never modified the Y position of the entity, but it always seems to appear approx. 35 units below the floor, hence the "addvar=$EPY 35"

EDIT: It should be noted that if the character is hit by the force of an explosion, it falls down as it should, I tried adding force to the entity in an "always" state, but it didn't work.

EDIT2: Never mind, I fixed it, it was a bug in my script, not FPSC.

Scripts Removed

-TZK

TriSpefear Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 18:31
Thanks a lot TZK!

"Everyone may doubt me, but your just giving me more of a reason to continue on..."
Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 10:23 Edited at: 26th Jun 2012 16:02
Quote: "Have you tried recreating the levels in V1.20 from scratch? Not using the V118 or V119 FPM files."

I seem to have a issue reguarding frame rate.
But it seems only in a built game.

The characters and screen will seem to freeze and then move forward
frame by frame and the game will usually unfreeze and be ok.
But sometimes it will just stay playing frame by frame as the
2 or 3 characters ( WW2 army guys) move around.
I wait for 5 minutes then kill the game.

Now I have to ask. What difference would remaking a level in 119 or 120 make?
It's the same images and same directx models.

EDIT:: I was made aware that there is a huge difference.
Quote: "section 812, Hey, I saw your post in the V120 Public Beta 2 section about your problem.
and this Quote: "Have you tried recreating the levels in V1.20 from scratch? Not using the V118 or V119 FPM files." is a good idea.
The difference is the version of DarkBasic Pro that it's compiled in. there have been a lot of changes made to DarkBasic and the libraries.
I had the same issues trying to use old levels.
This is the reason to remake games from scratch"

I did not even think of this as the reason, Now it makes
perfect sense So I have to finish off one game in version 119 and then remake all 4 games in version 120 as the improvements are astounding!

END EDIT

In test game my highest framerates were 764.
So seeing this in a built game was most distrubing as I do not understand how it could be.

Proof of high framerate
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=23&t=195895&p=1

2nd page and about 25 posts down.

Life is a short trip to another world
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 10:28
Quote: "my highest framerates were 764"

NASA wants their computer back
I don't really know what the solution to your problem would be, but as far as I know, build game and test game seem to work very differently, I don't know why, and I haven't checked in the code yet. If they worked the same, then test game should be slower, not a build.

-TZK

Eggie
Years of Service
User Offline
What the heck happened to my fps creator? ITS AMAZING NOW!!! Before I would get around 30 fps on a level. Now I'm getting about 200. Feels butter smooth. The only concern I have is that when you die a couple of times you don't respawn but get stuck in the crouch position you are in when you die and can't move. Anyways, the I'm really impresssed on how the low framerate issue is really resolved.
Section 812
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't even pay attention to the frame rate before until I read these posts, and I just put together a test game with about 10 very high poly trees and my frame rate was about 512. I do have a very high end computer though but even in 119 it was nowhere near this.

EXCELLENT!!!

The way it's meant to taste.
TIMON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 12:31 Edited at: 26th Jun 2012 12:31
Quote: "@TriSpefear Studios
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70702956/FPSC_675.rar

-TZK"

Hi TZK I have downloaded your latest build but now the textures in editor window are low-resolution!!!! why?
Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 18:43
save game issue.,
http://sdrv.ms/NIs1qe
FPM and game files.
ww2 room and ww2 characters.

load game kill a couple.
save game,
exit game,
reload game
kill a couple. you will see the kills you made are not
saved with save game. So you can never win,

is it me? or?

Life is a short trip to another world
TIMON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2012 00:12 Edited at: 27th Jun 2012 02:33
@Scene Commander

I have a bug with decals, it flickers rapidly all time here is a video

http://youtu.be/MnxRbMUcazw

I have latest build 675

Thanks
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2012 02:46
@Meows- If I'm not mistaken it's always been like that

On a different note,
I've been trying some of the third person scripts available and getting 'some' success. I say some because if I run for too long with the cam attatched to an entity it detatches itself while the player model keeps running forward. And when I mean keeps running forward I mean through objects and past the 40x40 grid into space that we couldn't possibly build on untill it's a tiny spec in the distance. Has the cam attatch command become unstable?

Disturbing13
Dev Forum Store
That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2012 03:20
Quote: "put in something like "v119_additions.ini""
- The Zombie Killer

If you are meaning like adding features and such as plugins instead of overhauls to FPSC itself (unless absolutely necessary, of course) I have been thinking that for quite a while.

And Here Is A Penguin:
FPSC OneSource [DeskTop App] - Bringing everything together into one.
Snake675
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2012 05:05
@TIMON

Same for me...
washburnrover
Years of Service
User Offline
@TIMON
as discussed earlier in the thread, it's probably just due to the framerate not syncing with your screen's refresh rate, try capping your framerate to 60 or 120 fps (depending on your screen)
I think the command is something like "setsyncrate" or something

My Craptop's Specs: Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD sempron 2.1 GHz single-core CPU; ATI radeon 3100 non-HD 256mb dedicated, up to 1.5 GB total; 3 GB DDR2 333 MHz RAM
Screen Resolution: 1280 x 800

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 22:33:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 22:33:55