Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / V120 Public Beta 18 (RC)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 18:59 Edited at: 25th Aug 2012 19:00
I honestly don't think a flashlight needs to be added. A perfectly good flashlight can already be scripted, using existing commands and flashlight entities, together with a suitable eye-hud.
I myself use this one, with excellent results;
Flashlight, Batteries included [v117]
Yes, it can only be done with scripting, but that makes it no different to the Radar and Compass...

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 21:10 Edited at: 25th Aug 2012 21:20
I like it a lot, being able to set the range of the light is really cool.
If used properly its not so much a flashlight but additional light in proximity to the player which appears more natural in dark areas where more light reaches the eye and further away areas and objects remain darker, you don't get this with a hud alone where anything on screen no matter how far away appears bright.

If the light is scriptable it means candles, burning torches etc for the player to carry are more possible and more realistic.

Just as it is right now I can see it adds a really nice effect to surround the player with his own 'ambience'.

Awesome! Its one of those threads.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 22:48 Edited at: 25th Aug 2012 22:48
If you guys are happy enough with the WASP flashlight, I'm okay with adding a slightly tweaked version, maybe also allowing the light to be offset to a weapon limb? Given time restraints and as this beta is really about bug fixing/stability, I'm not keen to add anything major that could require further debugging, but I'm confident enough in the flashlight code to say that it works across a range of machines.
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 23:05
Being able to narrow the beam more would be great, that would truely give it a flashlight beam look.

Offsetting to a weapon limb also, be very interesting to play with.
Would that be attached to one of the smoke firespot or brass elements?

If you have the time or if it is possible, thanks in advance.

Like Rolfy said, Being a proximity light to the player opens up a whole lot of possibilities. Also having long sections of dark spaces are very achievable and less taxing on lightmapping.

Great addition.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
If intensity and range are included parameters I would certainly have use for it. Maybe though you should do what needs done first then put it in nearer the end so if you run into any problems you can simply exclude it from a final release rather than have it in there and forced to work around it later. I don't know, its your call SC, you would know if its going to be feasible without causing further issues you could do without.
Just that once you give that dog a bone ya gonna have a hard time taking it back from him

Awesome! Its one of those threads.
The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 23:52
Quote: "Would that be attached to one of the smoke firespot or brass elements? "

I think it would be interesting to have a new weapon element, maybe a joint named "LIGHT", and have new Gunspec commands, maybe like:

LIGHTCOLORR =
LIGHTCOLORG =
LIGHTCOLORB =
LIGHTRANGE =
LIGHTPOSITIONX =
LIGHTPOSITIONY =
LIGHTPOSITIONZ =
LIGHTKEY=
LIGHTACC=
LIGHTALWAYSON= (1 is true,0 is false: its an idea for torches or lanterns, used as a non-attack weapon)

I'm familiar with this, but I'm still learning!
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 04:29
I've noticed a preformance increase since this release. Things seem a lot smoother. I did come across something fairly new that didnt used to occur. Not a big problem... but when you push forward against something like a table you get this constant buzz sound of a block sound repeating while you push against it. When i believe in the past you only hear the sound once.

wrapscallion
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope this one stops my runtime errors. No matter what I do, I get runtime errors. Almost gave up on this.
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 09:12
Can you list the runtime error and give some more details on how it happened please.

Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Comby
Could you supply an FPM that SC can recreate this bug with?

-TZK"

at moment i don't have any... AFAIK the bug usually happens when you save the map and then quickly close FPSC... so the fpm becomes "corrupted"
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 08:14 Edited at: 1st Sep 2012 08:15
I'd just like to mention that I've had huge frame rate increases since using this beta. Previously 80 was my max in an empty level, now it can reach 125 fps. In my levels full of entities and so on I still get a 20+ boost from where it was at before, which is excellent.

Just a small thing is that I cannot change the red/green/blue values in the lighting setup in game. Every time I test the light level resets to 25 (I think) and the colour value stay maxed. They make the levels look a little strange. Not an issue really, but just saying.

"I'm inspired by my own wise quotes, thank you." - Burger, 6/7/12
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 09:34
For test game:

Change it under the The Game Creators\FPS Creator\Files\languagebank\english\gamebank\mygame folder and edit the setuplevel.fpi file.

For game build:
Change it under the game build folder instead.

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2012 11:28
Oh, thanks. Oh well no problems with the latest beta then.

"I'm inspired by my own wise quotes, thank you." - Burger, 6/7/12
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

As this seems to be performance stable, I intend to start looking at the list of outstanding issues. As a memory jog, if you've still got any issues that have been reported but don't appear to have been addressed could you please report them here and I'll start to look at them during the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

SC
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
hey, why the "win" command do not work anymore?

Public void likeFpsc{ System.out.println("I like FPSC!" ) ;}
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=196656&b=24
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2012 23:37 Edited at: 11th Sep 2012 00:24
The "win" command should theoretically work. It assigns the first 100 objectives a 1 meaning the objective was met and then when the engine checks to see if all objectives have been met it will end the level as if the level has been won.

The only thing I can tell is if you had not set any possible objectives within the level. If there are no objectives then there will be no objectives set as being collected. I would suggest to set at least one objective. Then the win command might work for you. Just a suggestion and this might not work either

Addendum:

I tested this theory and it is correct. Attached is a simple level. Play it and go through the trigger zone. It will not "win" the level.

Now place a "win zone" somewhere outside of the ground so you won't enter it. Going through the trigger zone will now "win" the level since the win zone's objective is set.

Here is the code I use for the trigger zone:

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

~I'm the Terry of the Flatlands.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2012 23:58 Edited at: 12th Sep 2012 17:18
@Scene Commander

Never mind.

raycast doesn't work in your version but it does in mind. I'm tired of trying to be helpful. No longer will I be. It's my age I know but that's it. As long as it works for me, that is all I care about at this point.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

~I'm the Terry of the Flatlands.
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2012 00:50
Scene Commander, just a quick bug report. Seems like a very small minority of people (about 5 people have reported it in something like 300,000 downloads) are unable to move the player using their keyboard. Do you have any idea what might cause it/a possible fix?

Slenderman's Shadow - Sanatorium
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199408&b=35
cds1234
Years of Service
User Offline
Still haven't resolved video file crash. 4 separate computers all crash with any kind of video or image file loaded a second time from story zone, from vidtex, or from a save game load. Works first time, second one crashes. Reload game- works again. True with avi of multiple different codecs, xvid, divx, sfv, mpeg, etc.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Corno_1

Flatlander is correct, there must be at least one object set as an objective for WIN to work.

@Flatlander.

I'll take a look the raycast command and see what, if anything has changed.

@Marc Steene.

The only thing I can think of is that keyboards from some countries use different scancodes. Are those with issues from a certain area/country?

@cds1234

Could you please supply me with a FPM showing this issue as I've not been able to replicate this.
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
oh sry i forget that! thank you for this small excurse

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

I've been working through the list of reported issues today.

Confirmed and fixed from this thread:

1) Fixes to $CA, $RCA and $CLA to allow editing of ammo values using variable shortcuts. Additional fix to account for alt fire modes.

2) Fixes to flak which caused flak to freeze in mid air if generated too close to an obstacle.

3) Fixes to $DIS,$DIF,$DIM which was causing some entities to report incorrectly.

4) Some minor tweaks to stability to cover various issues.

If you've reported anything else that you think I've not yet addressed please post here.

SC
atypikk
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a problem with this update, when a throw a grenade (ww2 pack or MP54 grenade bonus) it can't end on the ground, it's just floating in the air. Somebody have the same problem or it's just me ? excuse me for my bad english.
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2012 18:12 Edited at: 12th Sep 2012 18:33
Previous page first post by Pirate Myke.
Custom characters dont hold there collision and wobble around center if run into by player.
I have a test map ready for you. But I cannot post the custom characters, so I will send it to you in email if that is ok. 4.5mb rar file.

Email file sent.

Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have a problem with this update, when a throw a grenade (ww2 pack or MP54 grenade bonus) it can't end on the ground, it's just floating in the air. Somebody have the same problem or it's just me ? excuse me for my bad english. "

You're not the only one; i've found the same bug in v1.19... and now you have got it in this beta...
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@atypikk

Quote: "I have a problem with this update, when a throw a grenade (ww2 pack or MP54 grenade bonus) "

Confirmed, I'll back track and see where this went wrong

@Pirate Myke

Received and replied.
Snake200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2012 20:26
Hi @Scene Commander

I don't know whether my problem has been somewhere on this thread, therefore sorry in advance if so. My problem is connected with the weapons' size. In the 118 version, everything is correct, but since I installed current version, all enemies' weapons are kinda big.

V118 and Correct size of weapon

V120 beta3, the weapon is too big

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 15:12 Edited at: 13th Sep 2012 15:13
@atypikk

I've fixed this issue ready for the next beta.

@Snake200

Thanks for the report, I'll look at this, in the meantime, I would guess that it's related to the new scale actions inroduced in V119. I've attached a new appear script which will resolve the issue while I investigate.

Anyone else with any last minute issues before I send this build to alpha testers?

Attachments

maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2012 16:13 Edited at: 13th Sep 2012 16:30
Hi commander,

after longer absence i tried around a bit yesterday. to mention again the collision probs, but i think you got all in this except 1:

i can easily climb nonsegment-entities up to a height of 1 square wich should not be possible (former not 1/2 a square. its the same glitching "hang-effect" as with the jump-on-entity problem, as if its a ball-collision instead of box). maybe its mentioned, i dont know. easy to test with the cube i sent you before.

add: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199687&b=21

good luck for the next version, we all trust in you.

p.s.: again, i cant get $arm to react on dimvar-combination to display an animated graphic hud for the wasp(v119)shield.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@maho76

A couple of users have reported 'jump' collision issues which I'm investigating, I have some thoughts on this.

I'm looking at all of the variable short cuts, so I'll be reviewing the $ARM variable at the same time.

Quote: "good luck for the next version, we all trust in you."

Thank you, I'll try not to disappoint.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
By popular demand, I've added a very basic flashlight, and the actions, FLASHLIGHT, FLASHLIGHTRED, FLASHLIGHTGREEN, FLASHLIGHTBLUE and FLASHLIGHTRANGE, which will be active for the next beta.

I may get around to improving on this, but for the moment it's functional.

Enjoy.

SC
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I've added a very basic flashlight,"

great to hear! But did it work with shaders(bond1 normal map)? Most mods with flashlight do not work for me with this shader just without!
And fog do not work for me, or maybe the range is to small, so what is the range of fog in segements?

Great work at all

Corno

Mr illusionest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2012 21:36
@Corno :
Same here , the fog doesn't work with segments using shaders . I didn't test the flashlight but many say it doesn't work with it too . add to that Dynamic lighting . I hope it can be fixed in a next BETA

"I am the night visitor when everyone is sleep , and when the last light fades"
The illusionest
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Corno_1 & @Mr illusionest

I've tested the flashlight with the metro theatre pack, which uses segment shaders and it works as expected. Be aware this is a very basic flashlight with scope for improvement mainly through scripting.

SC
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 10:37 Edited at: 17th Sep 2012 10:41
Hi again all.

This is the last round of bug requests for this beta before we look at going live with the official V120 release. There are still a few issues that I'll be looking at this week, so far I have:

1) Some internal variables not being passed to the variable system.

2) Player collision issues when jumping with smaller objects.

3) Some minor non-exploding flak issues when flak is used too close to a wall.

That's all I've got left on my list, am I missing or forgetting anything?

Remember this is just for bugs, no feature requests please.

Last chance!

SC
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 11:08 Edited at: 17th Sep 2012 11:12
Quote: "Quote: "Also I was able to fall thru the floor running into an dynamic entity"

Was this a custom entity as I'm not able to replicate this."

quote from the last page(8). no, not only custom entities. i tested with the standard scifi-glass as a platform placed on 35% floorheight to jump on it (always active,immobile). when you run/walk into it from whatever side, you may fall thru floor (scifi-detention-room (mid) in my map). i edited the glass-texture for better visibility, but except that stock.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@maho76 - Sorry, I can't replicate this. Everything seems to be working as expected.

I've attached the FPM I'm using for you to test.

SC

Attachments

Mr Game
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 16:33
Hi SC,

Thanks for you time about polishing FPSC.
I have the same issue with custom characters like You saw in Pirate Myke thread (YES, increasing weight of characters will make it good) plus I notice that stock characters were scaling down in FPE files so Aiko (80% scale) looks like 10 years girl now (she has about 4 feet now).

cheers
Mr Game

maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 17:28
@sc: thanks, i will look into it and may edit so that you can replicate. i will do a video so you can see the effect. will send you mail tomorrow.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 17:43
Quote: "That's all I've got left on my list, am I missing or forgetting anything?"

There is one that dates back to earlier versions of FPSC. We experience it in v1.17 currently. It has to do with not specifying "music" in the setuplevel.fpi file (reference here, here, and here). It seems that if you do not specify "music", the player moves very slow and jerky. I have tested this in a VM using v1.19 and yielded the same results.

As I mentioned in one of the posts, we keep our "music" specified to 2 seconds, but it would be nice if we did not have to specify "music" at all in the setuplevel.fpi file. It's not a major annoyance, just a minor irritation.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
can someone compile the latest one? So we can see what must be fixed and what is already fixed!

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 22:58
My question is, will there be .MP3 support? Or is there already?

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
Mini0013xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2012 07:48 Edited at: 18th Sep 2012 08:13
I just had a brilliant idea. It would be a lot of hard work, but would ultimately pay off. Firing positions. It's something that Halo uses to move their characters. (Let's just say you move here, the ally moves here, or when you shoot (or don't shoot, in some cases) they move here and here and here, but are restricted to that area and cannot move anywhere else unless told otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcmitUFc9fE&feature=youtu.be

So, tell me what you think. Would it be good to have in FPSC, or no?
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2012 10:56
Quote: "Remember this is just for bugs, no feature requests please."

@nerevar: no.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=196618&b=26

@SC: mail send.

gz

maho

Mini0013xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "Remember this is just for bugs, no feature requests please."

@nerevar: no.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=196618&b=26

@SC: mail send.

gz

maho"

The title says version 1.20 or version 1.21. It could still be done.
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2012 17:30 Edited at: 18th Sep 2012 17:30
i just quoted SC from up the page.

btw. possible to do today with scripting, using waypoints/movetotarget-commands and zones triggering variables,basically the same as you describe in the video, only that you have to set this up specifically for each character.

Armageddon Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2012 22:56
one thing i would like to suggest is a skybox triggerzone, a zone that changes the skybox, much like music change in zone.
Also, an option menu for resolution, basic performance settings

http://uimg.ngfiles.com/banners/3880/3880701.jpg
Mini0013xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " i just quoted SC from up the page.

btw. possible to do today with scripting, using waypoints/movetotarget-commands and zones triggering variables,basically the same as you describe in the video, only that you have to set this up specifically for each character.
"

I'd like to see how to do that. Not too big on scripting though.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2012 03:17 Edited at: 19th Sep 2012 04:07
Quote: "one thing i would like to suggest is a skybox triggerzone, a zone that changes the skybox, much like music change in zone."

This too can already be done through scripting and trigger zone. Though it is pretty useless unless you find a way to change the lightmapping to suit.
You could of course change it a little through ambient lighting but its going to look phony anyhow without skyboxes sharing same light source. Also it is kinda buggy with the skybox often jamming and you cant even change it in test level without re-installing FPSC.
This has been around for a long time and not part of recent updates so I dont expect it to be part of any current fixes.
Anyhow its all moot as has been pointed out there will be no further features for now only bug fixes for recently introduced features (or recently broken ones).

You only have one life ... Abuse it well.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2012 09:41 Edited at: 19th Sep 2012 10:18
Quote: "for now only bug fixes for recently introduced features (or recently broken ones)."

Not quite true, I'm willing to look at all bug, regardless of how long it's been an issue, but will only be addressing those that fit within the generally defined parametiers of FPSC's usage.

*Edit*

Fixed embarrassing cut and paste error that was preventing new internal variables from being referenced by named variables correctly.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 02:29:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 02:29:59