Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / SoulHunter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2010 22:14
Hi, Ranko!
Thanks for the kind comments!
I have no idea why the download doesn't work for you.
Are you using this link? http://www.bytegrove.com/files/soulhunter.zip (from soulhunter.bytegrove.com)
Please keep in mind that this demo is now pretty old, stay tuned for the full release!

Ranko
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok thanks for the link.

I was trying to download your demo with others links, maybe on your old website ?

Here is some comments / questions about your demo :

I have played on a netbook "eee pc 900" (1ghz, 1016mb ddram, 64mo vram).

There is no bug or crash so that's a good point. But the game runs really slow !

The meshes, textures and animations are AWESOME, they are truly your own style and every character and object fits in the ambiance.

The graphics and ambiance reminds me Shadow Tower (PS1) and American Mac Gee's Alice (PC). 2 great games in my opinion.

The music really fits each scene too. Well done !

But, the camera is bad. It really destroys the gameplay in my opinion.
You should maybe setup a camera which follows the character ?
Check this video game to see what i mean :
American Mac Gee's Alice : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmpFfqYcsGQ

I think you can also improve the performance by hiding far away objects / npcs or using different LOD meshes and textures and desactivating animations.
American Mac Gee's Alice runs really fast on my computer and your game has the same graphics and runs really slow... So there is some work to do here.

What type of lighting are you using ? Vertex lighting ? Per pixel lighting ? Lightmapping ?

Keep up the good work ! If you improve the camera / gameplay you can sell this game, it almost looks "pro".
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2010 22:58
Quote: "American Mac Gee's Alice runs really fast on my computer and your game has the same graphics and runs really slow..."

American Mac Gee's Alice was probably written in a higher language (C++), so why is it sooo much faster than a slow, interpreted language like DBC... ?

TheComet

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Well the kind of 0.01 FPS i had can't be explained even by that...

It needs some very serious optimizations zzz!

The menus and everything, even the loading times were somewhat nice and smooth, but the game itself gave me a frame of a faraway horizont of the level, and a close frame of the main character from two different angles.

And this took about 15 minutes to achieve...

This was the point i began trying to bring my machine back, but nothing helped, so i had to reset.

I have a budget laptop, so no big mistery behind a game being slow, but on 1.5Ghz and 512 ram plus 64Mb gpu, it should "run" to say the least... you know this wasn't the category i would say the game was "running"

So optimize the hell out of the baby pal, it would be a shame to put this much effort into something that will only reach the high-end gamers..
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
^ LOL 0.01 fps? LIEZZZ! Even my crappy laptop does 30 fps.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
What are the specifications of Mr. crappy laptop?
cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2010 23:22
hmm, thats funny my old laptop did 20fps at both 800x600 and 640x480, and it wasn't bad, at 320x240 I got 36-42fps.

specs:
1.6Ghz intel cerelon M
512mb ram
and 128 mb intergrated graphics, intel 915M mobile chipset 2x64mb.
sm 2.0 emulated.
and 60GB hard disk.
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
2.0 duo
3 gb ram
some integrated chipset for the graphics 358 mb
pretty much it(didnt include unimportant stuff)

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2010 02:47
@Ranko:
Thanks for trying the demo, I'll do as much optimisation as I can for the final build. There's an option for controlling the camera with the mouse (Press C to change camera mode. You can change this key in options if you want to).

There'll probably not be any updates for a couple of weeks, since I'm busy working on a small physics project in xna for school, amongst other things. ^^

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 14th Oct 2010 19:42
zzz,

I've been watching this thread for a while, and while I haven't posted anything in it (at least that I remember!) and haven't tried out the demo (yet), I just have to congratulate you on your sincere perseverance and motivation on this project.

Your work is inspirational, and I love the look of this game. I'm impressed that you're using DBC instead of DBPro. That definitely tells us you know what you're doing with programming!

How long have you been working on this now? I look forward to the final release!

Braude Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2010 15:56
This is amazing! It's so good to see that the TGC community is still alive and behind projects like this. It looks BEAUTIFUL!
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2010 22:52

i found this game on the shelf of an EBgames,...

for some reasons, it reminds me soul hunter!

ogni scarafone è bello a mamma sua.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 02:46 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2010 02:52
@Braude Interactive:
Thanks! ^^

@Ermes:
Heh, yeah he kinda does. I remember when that game was released. But I can't remember if soulhunter was inspired by it.
----

Anyway, I finally got some "spare" time, and I've almost finished the intro cinematics!

Here are some teaser screenshots(not in order):

What do you think?

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks amazing. But in the third photo the Skeles look like they're in the ground.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 02:59
No, they just have very short legs(and no feet).
They thus have to walk and run on all four(challenging and fun to animate).

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 14:09
it's my monitor or the shots are dark???

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 14:56
Yeah they're kinda dark. Especially on a white background. The gamma is adjustable in the game though.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2010 02:00 Edited at: 5th Nov 2010 02:06
Ok, the intro cinematic is done and implemented into the game.
I've made a preview video of the intro and uploaded it to youtube:

Intro cinematic preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lunKTSKTms
Spoiler warning: This is the full intro.

I'm sorry about the video quality, I recorded with a weird resolution.

With the intro cinematic done, the project has reached an important milestone. It is now fully playable from start to end!

However, I have a few things left to do before I'll release the beta:
* Make some of the older levels a little prettier.
* Sort out a few bugs in the multiplayer mode.
* Play through the game myself a few times.

So, a late 2010- or an early 2011 release doesn't sound too far-fetched!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2010 09:03
Awesome. Was some of it pre-rendered and then it switched to in-game? Maybe it was the youtube compression, but I thought I saw a difference.

Can't wait to play this, I've been looking forward to seeing the ending levels and final boss, I loved those videos.

Good luck.

...seriously, my sig was deleted because of 8 pixels? Oh well, no hard feelings to the mod who did it.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2010 10:12 Edited at: 5th Nov 2010 10:13
actually two things i can't wait to have:

one is the xbox freemotion controller, kinetic, and the second is... soul hunter!!!!! GREAT GAME!
good work ZZZ, really impressed!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 22:59 Edited at: 19th Nov 2010 12:45
@Josh Mooney:
It was all in-game. But the first part had a blur effect applied, it somewhat disappeared in the youtube video. The blur vanishes as soon as soulhunter is freed.

@Ermes:
Thank you very much! I'm really looking forward to your game as well!
Btw, you have secured a place in the "thanks to" column in the credits. ^^

Anyone else who have supported this project and want to appear in the credits? I'm going to try to include all the ones who have given me helpful feedback/support.
But there are over 1700 posts, so giving me a friendly reminder is much appreciated.

[Edit]Here's the current list. I skimmed through the thread real quick and added some of the most frequent posters, and people who gave me advice and feedback.
This list is far from complete, please post a comment if I forgot you!

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 23:33 Edited at: 17th Nov 2010 22:59
that's a nice idea, a "thanks to" for people who spent some of their time to improve our projects.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2010 00:34
Wow, thank you so much for putting me on the list! I've been watching this project for ages and I'm so glad it's nearing completion.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2010 03:32
Wow, there a lot of names on there I haven't seen in a while. Shows how old this is . Thanks for the mention! Really looking forward to the final!

Latest progress: Fog of War implemented; frustrated by pathfinding >.>
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2010 10:59
Wow, thanks for the mention! I don't think I really helped unless you count me saying it looks great... thanks anyway and good luck finishing it, this should be a really epic game!

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2010 18:34
Hi zzz,
great video.
I like the touch your are giving to the game.

If you need an alpha tester before you release your game, let me know.

Thanks for putting me on the credits.

See you.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2010 23:49
Hurray, I am at the top of the list!!!

That list I suspect contains everyone I have know of the forums. Says quite a bit about your game and how long standing it is!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Ranko
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi zzz,

I've tried to play SoulHunter with the "locked" camera and the gameplay is good this way.

I have a question please :

How does the character detect the ledges in the level and if he can grab it or not ?

Thanks!
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 21:21
Hey I'm on the list! haha, glad I could be of help zzz. Looking forward to the final version.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 03:49
Wow that intro is looking great! How did you achieve the blur effect in DBC?

Guns, cinematics, stealth, items and more!
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 06:54 Edited at: 19th Nov 2010 06:59
The intro is cool, but lacking a fair bit of polish. I don't know how feasible going back to it is at this point but there's quite a few detractors that nobody's pointing out.

Firstly, the middle link in the chain at the start; it's all over the place! If it's not possible to stabilise that, having the camera pan slowly over the chain might take the focus off it, and also have the bonus of leading into the character reveal.

This is probably a point prematurely made, but the fonts used for the titles look a bit bland? Like an afterthought (though I appreciate these might be pending a facelift anyway, I'm not the closest thread-follower ). At any rate, you might want to change the wording of the "A game by" bit; it's rather displeasing clutter (especially that lower-case G, ay), not just 'cos someone playing might very well roll their eyes at being reminded that it is, in fact, a game! Maybe you can pop the "A game by" text above and in a smaller size than your name. If it's possible, maybe work some of those fancy patterns and things in your HUD into the in- and out-fades for a bit more character.

Characters appear to be sliding slowly across the floor, and could just do with either a tweak to the anim rate or the movement speed.

The 0:31 to 0:43 shot of the fairy(?) lingers for way too long. Apart from the long pause being jarring in a general sense, it really shows up the character's repetitive animation loops, of course to the detriment of dramatic effect.

I didn't actually notice the transition from the blurry effect to none on the first watch, and figured the "flash" effect was that of the monster being struck! If it's there intentionally (that is if youtube didn't have a hand in it <_< ) then can I suggest it stays throughout? It's a very nice effect, and it's much missed when it disappears

When the monster is killed, both skeleton-dudes animate exactly the same, that is, the one on the left looks in horror at the monster, while the one on the right looks in horror at a tree

Little soulhunter guy looks a bit stiff in his animation, but given that the character is pretty small and his limbs also small, there's little justified in moaning about it. But note that anything where he appears to just slide over something instead of actually grasping, walking, pushing or pulling chips away at the suspension of disbelief.

The sound of the chain scraping is a little out of time with the action (though this again may be a youtube thing).

The skeleton guys are meant to be intimidating, right? But they're kind of unscary in this particular appearance: not up-close or faraway, but sitting at a "comfortable" distance, not obscured by the fog, and also arranged in a straight line with the camera. Maybe try having one of them be a great deal closer, it breaks up the odd symmetry between them and also makes them seem a greater threat.

Again, the camera lingers a bit too long before the fairy speaks. It could also flick from the skeletons to it faster (if they're an oncoming threat, why are we just standing here?)

On repeat viewing I'm now noticing the background to the dialogue pane thing (the "quick, follow me!"). However it's blurry form isn't definite enough a shape to stop the text looking like it's off-center relative to the screen (rather than the intended top-left relative to the dialogue pane). Maybe try substituting the current BG for a solid faded rectangle, or something that at least reaches out to the corners of the pane area so that the text doesn't seem to be just floating out there

Aaand the end of the intro. No complaints there, though... soulhunter doesn't look to be in that much of a hurry

- - -
Everything I've not mentioned is fine and brilliant, and for all my nitpicking (which as far as I can tell may miss the mark entirely ), I look forward to this being a finished product
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 10:25
Quote: "Morcilla(MPL3D)"

Proud and honored. Thank you very much, MPL3D should suffice (Morcilla is just my nick at the TGC forum).

I would give this project the 1st prize in atmosphere re-creation.
I hope Tim Burton appears soon to make the movie of this game

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 12:43
@MonoCoder:
Thanks for the nitpicking, hehe!
I'll look into each point you made and do my best to fix some of the things. Some of the slow parts, for example. I was afraid that people may have thought the opposite, that things went by too fast. But I'll look into it.

Quote: "
MPL3D should suffice (Morcilla is just my nick at the TGC forum)
"

ok

Quote: "I hope Tim Burton appears soon to make the movie of this game"

Lol, that would be cool, except, he always make the characters sing.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 08:29
zzz, do you plan to upload a new demo soon or you're going to upload the complete version?

[img][/img]
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 14:47
I'll upload the complete version. However, I guess it has to go through some sort of alpha/beta-testing phase before I post it on the program announcements board.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 14:56
can't wait. really.

[img][/img]
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 16:27
Quote: "I'll upload the complete version. "

Your not selling it? All these years of work and it's free? Your crazy, I'd pay $20 for this. If there was a box version with a colorful manual I'd pay more.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 16:38
you can donwload and use as a demo, then if you pay you can unlock the complete version. like xbox 360 arcades.

[img][/img]
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 22:26
Yeah zzz, I would happily buy this for 20$ or so Your work deserves some appreciation besides positive feedback

TheComet

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 22:44
I think the same as the other guys.

only in case you dont have one secret project much better than Soul Hunter (jonking)
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 03:41
Haha, thanks for the support guys!
But really? Is it really feasible to think that I would be able to sell soulhunter? I mean, it's a little outdated, being made in DBC and all. I can hardly make it run any faster, which is not really acceptable if you had to pay for it. If I sold it, wouldn't people also expect more out of it? I really want to just finish the game as soon as possible, and move on. Also, don't you think it's just better for me to release it for free and let even more people enjoy it?
Or am I horribly, horribly wrong?

Quote: "only in case you dont have one secret project much better than Soul Hunter"

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 04:17
ho...

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 09:27 Edited at: 24th Nov 2010 14:10
zzz, we are on the same plane, if you make soulhunter for your fun, it's right other people have fun from it and don't pay any $, this will confirm you a great and wise man, and we never forget that.

[img][/img]
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 14:10
Zzz you can release a collectors edition version for the TGC Members! I'd be happy to pay for this game. Or add least add a donation system. And as for the testing phase, I'd be happy to help, specially since I work in QA for Gameloft.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 14:32
Zapakitul makes a good point. You should add a donation system Then you can have the joy to release it for free, and we can have the joy to pay you for it and both will be satisfied

And I'll also be happy to be a beta/alpha tester for you if that's possible

TheComet

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 15:50 Edited at: 24th Nov 2010 16:02
donation system = just the forum users will donate something. or your mother. if you want some money just sell the game.
the question is:

A) this game is free: lots of users will download and play the game, the game will spread around all the freeware gaming site of the world, brazilian, korea, cina, romania, etc etc.
some east europe little company will ask permission to insert your game in promotional dvd of magazines, or in freewares compilation.
your game will be popular, and players remember you. great.

b) you sell this game: very few users will donwload it, you will receive mails with complains for some minor bug, your game will not be posted in freeware sites but only in sites like appup or whatever (really do you think someone will buy games there, when there are freeare games everywhere?), your game will be forgotten as soon as published, and you will be nobody.

this is my idea. but i can be totally wrong!

[img][/img]
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 15:57
Quote: "A) this game is free: lots of users will download and play the game, the game will spread around all the freeware gaming site of the world, brazilian, korea, cina, romania, etc etc.
some east europe little company will ask permission to insert your game in promotional dvd of magazines, or in freewares compilation.
all will know your game, and remember you. great.

b) you sell this game: very few users will donwload it, you will receive mails with complain for some minor bug, your game will not be posted in freeware sites but only in sites like appup or whatever (really do you think someone will buy games there, when there are freeare games everywhere?), your game will be forgotten as soon as published, and you will be nobody."

I agree that 'A' is the best option for this game but I do think you are wrong about AppUp Ermes... I already sold a few games there and I'm also posting free games there (about 1-3 downloads of my free games per day). The main disadvantage with AppUp is it limits what your game can be capable of at the moment. Netbooks are OK but not great for high quality / processor intensive games.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 16:03 Edited at: 24th Nov 2010 16:04
I see. i haven't any notebook, and i've to admin i never give a look at AppUp..

maybe the "b" option isn't so bad as i writed.

[img][/img]
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 16:40 Edited at: 24th Nov 2010 16:47
When I brought up the "donation system" thingy, I didn't mention it as a mean for zzz to get rich, just a way for us to show our gratitude for what he has done.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 17:11
Quote: "When I brought up the "donation system" thingy, I didn't mention it as a mean for zzz to get rich, just a way for us to show our gratitude for what he has done. "

+1

TheComet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 12:31:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 12:31:12