Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / SoulHunter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 20:57
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2006 21:09
Jeez, how long every day do you work on this thing?

"Forgiveness is a good thing"
"Forgiveness is between them, and God. I set up the meeting"
-Man on Fire
General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
starting to remind me of the old classic zelda link to the past, with the shield'n'all...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 00:37
horay! loooks even better now! How much of the first level is done?

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 00:52
Quote: "I´ll probably release a new demo next week with lv1"

Yummmmm *won't stop spamming refresh button until it arrives*

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 13:08 Edited at: 13th Mar 2006 13:09
This game actually reminds me of Mediveil(sorry for the spelling ) from the screenshots which is totally awesome!!!! I don't know how to use rar files so i can't play the demo . Are you going to be able to get different swords in it?
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 18:04
Cagel: Yay, great idea! More swordzzzzz....

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 18:34 Edited at: 13th Mar 2006 18:36
I hope the engine is backed up i had to restart my game

Quote: "Bluelite online MMORPG."

AGGHHHHHHHHHH i hate Bluelite online MMORPG it's so slow and horrible this is so smooth this sweet game

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 20:33
A quick and dirty version of demo2.
Make sure you install the font that´s included and run the options-program.
If you don´t have winrar, download a free trial here:http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
If Bizar´s Oldschool-demo ran under 20fps for you, then this is nothing for your computer. But hopefully it will run faster than the old soulhunter-demo.
The camera sux, so change to the mouse-movement camera mode by clicking "C" once.
Post fps, bugs and specs so I know what to improve.
And, don´t expect too much!

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
but, its not there

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 20:38 Edited at: 13th Mar 2006 20:42
WTF! It doesn´t work to upload!!!

You guys have to wait while I´m uploading to another server...

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 20:53 Edited at: 13th Mar 2006 20:54
If all else fails, email it to my gmail account and I'll put it up on my webspace

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 21:28 Edited at: 13th Mar 2006 21:30
It should work now.
Read the previous post for information.

http://medlem.spray.se/everlord/sdii.html

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 21:42
For the lazy oilks who can't bear the trouble of looking a page back -
Quote: "A quick and dirty version of demo2.
Make sure you install the font that´s included and run the options-program.
If you don´t have winrar, download a free trial here:http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
If Bizar´s Oldschool-demo ran under 20fps for you, then this is nothing for your computer. But hopefully it will run faster than the old soulhunter-demo.
The camera sux, so change to the mouse-movement camera mode by clicking "C" once.
Post fps, bugs and specs so I know what to improve.
And, don´t expect too much!"

Downloading now, will post later with comments

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 00:14 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 00:14

You can walk around and jump, but you only see small parts of the land and the player at some points.

Intel 82865G Graphics controller
Intel celeron CPU 2.40GHz
510MB RAM
DX 9.0c

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 01:33 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 05:54
Very nice! I got an fps of 60, and the level layout and gamplay was great. But I must admit, you controls are quite horrible . Make the first mouse button the sword attack, the second the shield (which should go off when you let go of the button), and both shifts should grabs souls. And maybe make ctrl both jump keys. Other buttons are alright, but you should place the camera switch in the pause menu as well as a hot key, if not only in the pause menu. This is just for the mouse controls though, not all configurations. Also, something about the graphics hurt my eyes, as cool as they were. I think it was all the flickering there was. You need to smooth the textures of the landscape aside from the ones with transparencies, and the flicker the fog had when it hit the ground also wasn't good. Oh yes, you need new camera collision, because it really screws up when you use the mouse to control the camera.

The laugh of the daemon as I went up the tower really scared me when I first heard it, and I could only imagine what massive monster awaited me there. But sometimes the sounds overlapped, and made his cackles just sound strange.

Excellent work, and a very fitting and clever first level, I only hope you give us a great story in between levels to show why we're there.

Quote: "End of demo, scream"

AHHHHHHHH!!!!

Edit:
Quote: "If Bizar´s Oldschool-demo ran under 20fps for you, then this is nothing for your computer. But hopefully it will run faster than the old soulhunter-demo."

I need to start working oon old school again soon...

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 14:00
Holy cow! That was one impressive demo!

One complaint - the camera collision are horrible, the spot right after crossing the marsh where you find the mushrooms is one of the worser places.

Another complaint - you can't set mouse buttons for controls in the setup thingee I managed to tweak stuff around a little tho, used WASD for moveing, up+down camera adjustment, mouselook, E for swording and F for absorbing, and V or whatever it was for the block thingee.

The enemys are very well done, I love the tux dude! The kids jumping all over the place would have been much creepier if the sound hadn't been so messed up, I was almost laughing actually Swamp dudes in the caves beneath the trees were uberly cool, however I can't help but wish for a better shield system - hold down shift or something for shielding, let it go and cut loose with a quick swing...

I got all the way to outside the big circular staircase before I missed a jump and decided not to continue. Would have been a little scarier (ok, well scary period) if the laughs had started quiet and gotten louder as you ascended the staircase, and if you'd fix that sound overlapping bug that'd help a lot.

In short - one of the best damn looking dbp games I've seen, not just graphics wise, but GAME PLAY WISE!!! I can just imagine what places you could go with this - special magic attacks when you gather a certain number of souls, big swords, dragons...! In short, this is so frikkin' uber I can't stand it. Now get back to work!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 15:02
This game is great with QUALITY and IDEA... I gonna follow this to the finish..

<DeleteD>
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 16:32
Allright! It seems that this demo ran a lot better than the old one!
As I said the camera is horrible, I tried to give it a better collision system before the release of the demo but it sounds that it only got even worse. But I know how to fix it now... I think

Ufo: Yuk, too blue!! Did the main menu appear?

Bizar: I think the flickering has to do with the camera collision. The jagged fog is because of Dbc´s bad zbuffer(or what it´s called), if anyone know how to get rid of this then please tell me... And you can change the controls in the options-program.(mouse controlling coming soon)
Quote: "Also, something about the graphics hurt my eyes"

Was it too dark?

Hawkeye: What do you mean with the messed up sound? Too funky?

I´ll try too fix the thingys you´ve mentioned and realese a new demo sooner or later!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 16:39 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 16:40
Hmm... That camera wasnt so bad.. but spacebar (jump) dint work sometimes..

There is something funny in picture? Then you gotta try out Moomins In MushroomForest game!
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
yes, the menu appeared. IT started after the loading demo screen when the game was supposed to start. You could still see yourself a little and a few flashes of the ground, etc.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 16:50
Ufo: It sounds very weird... Did that happen to anyone else?

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 18:23
Game ran fine for me. Nice level design and so on, but with the controls it was extremely easy to fall off accidently. It got pretty old pretty fast trying to adjust the camera angle so I could actually see where I was going. Fix the controls and I think this game will be a lot better.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 18:44
I´m working on the camera now, and the controls are changeable! Just open the folder "options" and then run the .exe file.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 03:26 Edited at: 15th Mar 2006 03:34
Tis good the controls are changable, but you definitely need a better standard setup. I also forgot to mention, when you have the shield out, the enemies can be pushed without any resistance at all, and don't even bother attacking until your shield is down. They should attempt to attack you when your shield is out. I guess the game was a bit too dark, but I also had a headeach at the time.
(goes to play again).

Edit; wait, most of the graphical glitches I got disapeared when I raised the resolution. I sugest setting the standard screen res to 800X600.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 17:47 Edited at: 15th Mar 2006 17:48
Bizar: With standard setup, do you mean the default settings? If that´s what you mean, which keys would be the most comfortable?
Quote: "They should attempt to attack you when your shield is out."

They do, but maybe they attack too little. I can fix that in a single variable, the resistance too(I don´t know why I deleted that)!
Was the graphical glitches some kind of flickering? I´m trying to fix those flickerings right now. But I don´t know how to fix the jagged fog...

Now I have a pile of homework to deal with...

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 20:27
The best default settings imo would be:
WASD - run/strafe
mouselook - camera
LMB - sword attack
RMB - soul collection thingee
Left shift (hold) - guard mode
up/down arrows - adjust camera

alternately: mousewheel adjusts camera

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 17:13
Hawkeye: How do I detect mousewheel movement in dbc?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 18:51
I'll download this as soon as I can. Can't wait!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 19:00
I have a headache.

The black (or white) bars at the bottom and top flash very fast.

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 19:36
In dbp you can use "mousez()" to get the mousewheel position... dunno if it's supported in dbc.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "MOUSEZ()
This command will get the current integer Z position of the mouse pointer. The Z position usually belongs to the wheel you can sometimes find in the center of your mouse. The mouse Z position range is 0 to 100.

SYNTAX
Return Value=MOUSEZ()"

Yes, it works in DBC too.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 22:35 Edited at: 19th Mar 2006 11:50
Sven B: It happened for me sometimes too! I don´t know what it is, but I suspect that it is a program in the background that is causing it.
Hawkeye/UFO: Thanks, I´ll try that!

[Edit] Just trying my new sig..

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 05:38
Cool new sig...

sooooo... anything new?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 17:59
Demo was great. Frame rate jumped around a bit. That big dude with the hammer knocked me off the top platform so I had to start again! Grrr!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 20:41
Bizar: Not much news, I´m working on my new website right now, but the camera collision is much better, not good enough though.

Andrew: Bad luck... Did you find any bugs(except camera)?

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 20:45
Ah well, except from the flashing thing, I think this is the best DBC game I ever played.

Man I'm really bad at gaming. 3 jumps and I always fall off the platforms. And I don't really get that power thing. It charges(?) and you get 2 points(?) in your status
What does it do?

And the graphics are great.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 17:57 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2006 18:05
Glad you liked it Sven, switch the resulotion to 320x240 to get rid of the flashes, it should work.
With the power thing, do you mean the soul absorber, the thing that let you collect souls?
That sword status is just printing out a useless variable which will be changed sooner or later to a variable that shows the sword lv!

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 18:00
Oooooh, it's a soul absorber. Lol, I knew it had to do something. I never passed the platforms in lvl 1 so I wouldn't know...
And yeah, I think the weird value was standing next to the sword pic.

I'll try changing res to 320x240...

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2006 21:16
I updated the options-program, now it´s possible to add the mousekeys on sword moves, jump, camera mode and shield.

danielp
User Banned
Posted: 25th Mar 2006 00:41
Hi ZZZ,

I've tested both your demos The game has come a long way since the beginning. I managed to get anywhere between 37-67 FPS with all the display settings maxed out. I'm running 2G RAM, 256MB GeForce 6800, Pentium 4 3.4GHz.

I must say that the "SoulHunter" logo/animation on the second demo looks awsome, but I still really liked the intro on the first demo.

Maybe you could add the S.H. logo about the menu, and keep the original intro? Although, it doesn't matter to much .

A few things I found in the demo :

- Sometimes it's hard to jump off the platforms (I think the hardest bit of the game is jumping along the platforms). It seems
that I fall off when I'm still on the edge, which makes it hard to do running jumps.

- The camera doesn't move when the S.H. is jumping, it'd make the controls easier if the camera moved when hes jumping.

- Is it possible to make the autocam follow behind S.H. the whole time, instead of only turning when he stops moving. I like the controls on Croc 1 and 2, something like that would be great.

- I love the lighting effect on the mushrooms!! More of these would be great.

- As has been already mentioned, the shield just pushes the enemies away (thats how I killed the final boss, just pushed him over the edge ). Maybe the shield should only be used for blocking i.e. When the shield button is pressed, S.H. stops and croutches (please excuse the spelling) behind his shield and when the shield button is released he get up again. So as long as the player holds down the shield button, S.H. will be protected (from the front at least).

I recon the main issue with the game at the moment is the controls, like Sven B mentioned, the platforms are a killer I notice that sometimes when I press jump as I get near the edge I just fall, even though I'm still on the edge.

Like other people have said, the camera still needs some tweaking.

But the graphics are amazing, even more so because you did them all yourself!! Soul Hunter is a really great looking game and the way the whole idea is presented is, atleast I think it is, really unique.

Some of the world is a bit dark, so sometimes its a bit hard to identify where to go, but every new screenshot seems to look better than the others !!

Please keep everyone updated with vids, pics, etc!

Nice work ZZZ!

danielp
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2006 05:55
Great! Now can you make the default controls better, for those who are too lazy to manualy change the controls?

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 16:09
No bugs that I found but the platforms were tricky.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 18:52 Edited at: 26th Mar 2006 18:58
Wow, big post danielp! I´ll try to answer all of your comments!

Quote: "Sometimes it's hard to jump off the platforms."

Yeah, I know that it´s hard to jump over platforms, I think it´s because soulhunter is quite a lazy and slow guy, plus the first platforms are flattened hemispheres so thats make them a bit "slippery". I think running jumps is much easier to do, because soulhunter will get more speed and jump longer.(maybe I should add a run button, like mario? )

Quote: "The camera doesn't move when the S.H. is jumping"

It does!

Quote: "Is it possible to make the autocam follow behind S.H. the whole time, instead of only turning when he stops moving"

If you set the camera to "auto", then it will follow you(demo2).

Quote: "I love the lighting effect on the mushrooms!! More of these would be great."

Of course!

Quote: "As has been already mentioned, the shield just pushes the enemies away."

*fixed*

Quote: " So as long as the player holds down the shield button, S.H. will be protected (from the front at least)."

*fixed*

Quote: "Like other people have said, the camera still needs some tweaking."

Much better collision now, at least I can´t make it any better, so I hope you´ll be pleased with it...

Quote: "But the graphics are amazing, even more so because you did them all yourself!! Soul Hunter is a really great looking game and the way the whole idea is presented is, atleast I think it is, really unique.
"

Thanks dude!

Quote: "Some of the world is a bit dark, so sometimes its a bit hard to identify where to go"

That´s the point! I wanted the forests and the dungeons too be so dark that you felt lost sometimes (irritating? ).

Bizar:
Quote: "Great! Now can you make the default controls better, for those who are too lazy to manualy change the controls?"

Nah, I´m too lazy...
*just joking, fixed!*

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 01:31
Ohh!!! I just had a briliant idea for the game!!! Make soul hunter able to cling to ledges, so it isn't so easy to fall off. That would be perfect for all the jumping puzzles.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 02:06
Yeh, Bizar, nice idea. That would be aswesome.

"Forgiveness is a good thing"
"Forgiveness is between them, and God. I set up the meeting"
-Man on Fire
danielp
User Banned
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 04:34
Yeah, I like that idea to. Those ledges can get really annoying.

danielp

danielp
thegamecreators@danielp.e4ward.com
2047MB RAM | P4 3.4GHz | Windows XP 5.1.2600 SP2 | NVIDIA GeForce 6800 | Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS | Dell 230310 1600x1200 34x27cm
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 18:29
Great idea, well see if I´m going to do it.
Man, now my brain started to think...

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 18:51
nice and cool game there do you still use db classic ?
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 19:10
Yep, it´s still dbc!

And that ~clinging from ledges~ code is DONE!
I´ll add animations for it tomorrow.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 00:11:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 00:11:35