Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / The Artist's Challenge..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 06:52
could you add all the images here to your site dave g?

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 12:20 Edited at: 12th Jan 2006 12:29
Quote: " could you add all the images here to your site dave g?"

I would if I could, but lost ftp access about a week ago, still waiting on replys from madmanhosting to fix my access problems. (It's a simple problem, looks like the username and password have been lost, and not by me)

I plan on uploading all the game art posted here and adding my website to my sig, but since I can't update my site till I get ftp access again, everything is on hold.

nuf said,. Cheers!

Edit: I had to do a search to find out what a Tetra Vex was.. you mean a tile with room on 4 sides for a number? The samples I saw were a simple square with a groove carved in 'X' pattern from corner to corner. I think I can do better, and for the background,.. any size? or you want a 'fixed' size of 4x4 tiles?
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 15:01
Work In Progress,.. I need feedback,.. Which direction should I go with? Plain gray, textured or textured with colors instead of numbers?

Cheers!
Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 16:42
*cough* My new zip post says: oh dear. Sorry about that:/. New zip. *cough*

We have fallen Into an abyss! Dear God captian! There all Bars.
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 20:00
your work in progress err I am not to sure, I would be able to tell you if I knew what it was for.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 20:06
All of them
@Darkbasic Pro guy

Does it really matter what they are for?

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/csimon/spain03/days2_3.htm << where i went for my holiday or www.portaventura.es
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 20:10
well if it was a board the plain grey ones, if it was pieces for a board the third one.

if it was just randomly drawing something that you wanted to look weird, the second

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 22:31
hmmm, I didn't know I was a rocket scientest.. so I'll try to explain the previous WIP pic.. with a new pic...

When I did a search on the net all I found was pics of tetra vex that looked like the first one in the above line of samples.. I made the second variation, then added texture to make it more interesting still, and then thought that perhaps using colors instead of numbers might be an interesting way to go. The first sample showes the tiles in a 4x4 grid which seems to be what all the tetra vex samples I found indicated was the standard grid size.

Sorry for the confusion, but you know what they say be carefull waht you ask for.. hmm, or something like that.

Now, if you want the first version, you don't need graphics, any programmer can draw a box and use the linedraw to make the x then stamp numbers on it. the subsequent ones are visual variations on the original.

Confused yet? Good. I'm still waiting for a decision on which style to go with.

Cheers!
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 22:52 Edited at: 12th Jan 2006 22:53
ahh, I actually like them all. For different levels.

I have in darkbasic spent ages drawing the board, then I figured I could just make an image. lets see if I am any good at symbol art

/
0 /
/
/
/
/
5 X 9
/
/
/
/ 2
/
/

is what I tried to do for the tiles, just a tad bit smaller. then for the background thing I was doing boxes.

I like those above.

edit the stupid forum messed it up. I attached it in .txt format

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 23:04
now how do you fix that .txt to an image and Only the way the image was saved would change it not the forum

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/csimon/spain03/days2_3.htm << where i went for my holiday or www.portaventura.es
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 23:12
that is symbol art. I was using "\"'s, "/"'s, and "X"'s.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 23:13
o ok

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey to anyone who was interested, I updated my Chess/Checkers pack. It now includes a board, and higher res textures. The pieces are also optimized (all polygons that won't be seen from above or sides are now deleted).

The picture on my first post also has been updated showing the new stuff.

www.badpicsofmatt.tk
www.silver-dawn.net
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 23:24
I will make 3D chess aswell.

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 00:44 Edited at: 13th Jan 2006 02:49
Wow, awesome. You just made it easier for me to make a chess game (of course when I finish my Xfighters game).

Edit: I decided to make a wip post for Xfighters.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=69448&b=8

Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 05:13 Edited at: 13th Jan 2006 05:16
or not. DAVID CHECK HERE. zip of the error thing attached

new zip. Please direct any comments at me

Attachments

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 06:30
I think he has looked and just not commented. You are spamming in a way by posting just to make sure David G. sees it.

Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 07:13
No, he commented before, he hasnt commented now. It is pretty obvious from how nice and kind this guy is, he would at least stop me from spamming by saying "I have it, will look at it in a day or two". Probably didnt see it because it was so small with the 500 line essays being spoken

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 11:45 Edited at: 13th Jan 2006 11:58
Looking now,.. BTW this was posted while I was sleeping,.. I do need sleep, and I'm near Montreal so my time zone is Eastern time. 5:45 am right now..

Comments to follow.

Cheers!

Edit:
Ok, Undercover. the delay was my bad, I did grab it awhile back when you posted the fixed zip. It ran fine once the missing image was added. My main comment,.. change the intro menu pic to one of the planet backgrounds the one you are using with the side panel makes me anticipate a shooter type game,.. then I click start and I'm presented with a sibe bar and a main area with planets. the + and - keys work to zoom the map, but so far no keys for scrolling. As you mentionned the 1 and 2 keys switch race flags.

All in all a good start (but change the intro screen). keep up the good work.

Cheers!

P.S. it is impossible to hijack this thread,.. unless you begin to talk politics and if you do that I'll have a mod ban you from here lol just kidding.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 15:33
hey, just so you know i'll be using the breakout images in a tutorial i'm making for a friend.

Thanks!

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 16:44
I originally had an image of a galaxy, but it didnt work out. I made a few planets, so will switch. Thanks for the comment. I have been messing around with for nexts and arrays, so it should have the races completed.

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 22:56 Edited at: 14th Jan 2006 10:43
3d enemies would be great, like zombies. 2d enemies would be just fine as well.

Your work has inspired me to create a large package kind of like namco museum and midway arcade treasures, but bigger. I would include like several retro/classic games in one pack, the second I would make an rpg maybe (not mmorpg though) maybe some 3d racing games, then the third pack I would do wrestling, fps, all the bad stuff.

the first pack I am creating with all your 2d art, the second I might need some 3d things, the third I will get to later

edit: is there a way I could get that side bar you used for x-fighter without the words?

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2006 14:40 Edited at: 14th Jan 2006 15:31
Ideas are running through my head,.. What about this look for the TetraVex type game..

Just throwing some ideas.

Cheers!

Note: The above images are bryce built object renders so I can make them any size.

Note v2.0: To optimize the above sample in game the cady (silver tray the colored balls sit in) could be rendered empty and then only 6 frames of anim would be needed. the balls would be separate and overlayed by game code. this way you could have more colors for the balls and do spiffy effects to have the 'matching' ball explode or shrink etc. Comments welcome.
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2006 18:07
nice I like those.

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2006 20:12
Those are pretty cool. Though I wouldn't know what to make with them. I'm sure its something I've never heard of. But I fixed my Xfighter game. (Download) XFighters

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2006 20:39
tetravex.

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2006 21:53
Nope, never heard of it.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2006 23:53
Just letting you know I grabbed your new version of xfighter,.. will check it out tomorrow.

Cheers!
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 00:31 Edited at: 15th Jan 2006 00:31
Cool. Can't wait to hear what you have to say.
And good luck with your game!

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 05:57
woah that is weird. I thoughth tetravex was a pretty popular game. Oh well you will see when I make my version of it.

Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 06:43
Is this for just 2d art or can i put some 3d models in here for everyone?

- earl
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 07:05
(artist). Anything you consider art. At least that's the way I'd consider this thread. Other people have posted 3d stuff. So if you want I guess you can. Though this is David's thread, not mine.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 11:24
Anyone can post here, 2D or 3D all is welcome. And I may have started this thread, but it has since taken on a life of it's own...

It's alive, ALIVE!

Cheers!

Dabip__vgm On my system the 'enemy' bounce back and forth so fast the game is not playable. try setting the sync rate to 60. I made that change in one of your source posts and the game was much better. you can lower the sync rate as the player climbs in level. Note on starting menu,.. place text somewhere to say use arrow keys to select and 'enter' to activate or better yet, use the ship model as the mouse and set hot-spots where the words are for selection.

Keep up the great work.
westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 15:22
Hi David,
I have been following this thread and have been really impressed with your artwork.I use Dark Basic Pro,Gamemaker,Blitz3D and have recently purchased Playbasic.
I am fairly good at programming(but always learning)but absolutely terrible at art.
I would like to make a 2d version of a game I made in 3d using dark basic pro.It is based on a game called Fives in which you have to match up 5 colours vertically,or horizontally to make then vanish.
I would require a game board with a 9x9 grid placed on it and 5 differant coloured items(spheres,items or whatever you think of)for matching.It would be great if the game board had panels for showing score etc.Hope this is not too much too ask.
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 20:11
Okay, so I'll make the enemy slower. As for the menu idea, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Think you could give me an illustration? And thanks for the comments !

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 23:08
Westray, I like when a request has enough detail to actually give me a clear vision of what you want, I have one question, is the game limited to 9x9? or do you envision having a larger grid (mumber of pieces) for higher levels in the game? And what rez are you planning to make the game? The more info you provide the better chance of us being sync'd in the process.

Dabip, it's simple, instead of having the ship sitting at the bottom of the screen make it your mousse cursor, and when a plsyer clicks on 'Start' for example, draw an explosion over the word start and run the game. Sound would be good too.

Cheers!
westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 23:42
Hi again.Thanks for your reply,sorry I wasn't more specific with my request.The resolution would be 800x600 so the grid squares I would think would be 64x64,so the spheres,or items,would be this size with a black surround for transparency.Thanks once again.
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 00:10
Okay. Yah, I'm going to add sound when I get the game running well enough to play.

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 11:33 Edited at: 16th Jan 2006 11:34
hi david,
inspired by your chess pieces and my work on a tactical
ground combat format for my 4X game, i haev started on
a chess-like game that involves limited forces and
territory acquisition.

here is a basic screenshot. from ~4 hours work.
pieces can be moved as intended, and claim territory
as they should.

once i figure out what i need, i may ask you for a
screen background that would properly show relevant info...

thanks,
bob

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 16:07
Westray, here is a background and game pieces, Enjoy!

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 16:27 Edited at: 16th Jan 2006 16:30
Just a FYI,.. I'm an artist without webspace and tend to use Imageshack for posting allot of stuff here, but imageshack seems to hickup and either loose or otherwise have trouble with many of the pics. I got some free hosting at madman but the ftp access has not worked in well over a week, (no replies from madman either) I guess it was/is one of those too good to be true 'free hosting' things. I looked at the freeweb hosting but it has bandwidth restrictions and if I happened to go voerboard I couldn't afford to pay any extra fees.

I'm just wondering if it's ok to just use this forums upload feature to post my gameart bits as I make them. I don't want to leech thegamecreator's bandwidth either. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. (And I'm not sure I want to do the piggyback/subspace thing on someone else's webspace.)

Perhaps the person who recommended me to madman can poke them with a long stick, my emails have gone ignored for over a week, (close to 10 days now)

Anyways, sorry for the digression, but sometimes I just need to vent in a minor fashion.

Cheers!
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 18:09 Edited at: 16th Jan 2006 18:10
Here is a set of artwork for the tetravex type game.. (my version)

first the 6 frames of anim to rotate the caddy..

and the colored pieces to be inserted as needed..

If you need a background let me know.

Cheers!
Gamefreak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 19:16
Could you make a desert-type scrolling landscape? I'd like the size to be about 1024 by 128. Thanks.
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 19:16
image hosting:
we all use the forum image upload/download features,
so there is no reason in the world you should not.
bob

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 19:25
Gamefreak, I posted this up a bit in the thread, is it the type of backdrop you need? (Suitable for side scrolling games, it is a seamless horizontal tile)

Cheers!
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 19:36
That's an awesome side scroller landscape i'll posta pic of a wip game later

Gamefreak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 19:43
Not quite, something more flat, the base terrain, I guess. Something more suitable for things to drive on.
Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 19:59
Hey David, I can get you a domain and site hosting, if you want. It doesnt matter. 500mb space, and 10gb bandwidth? If this sounds good, post a domain name you would want (as in .com or .net) and tell me if you want to do this. I would be glad to help someone who helped all of the Community

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 21:37
@David Gervais- Dont use imageshack!! it stinks!

use http://www.photobucket.com it's way four more times better, and reliable.

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 23:10
David, just wait a little longer. I'll talk to Madman and have him fis it for you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 01:19:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 01:19:29