Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG Engine: Geisha House. Screenshots and interface Beta test.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 10:06 Edited at: 9th May 2006 10:08
Quote: "ok, i got it. Assuming that sense the warrior finds a "geisha" house, it will not be rated E."

I think this one will be. Geisha != prostitute. I think all they'll really do is try and stab you once you're in the house. That's what they're doing right now, anyway. They don't want you in there, and once you've killed the guards protecting them you're definitely a threat.

I have other stories that are much more developed and interesting for bigger games. This one just kind of works for now. Thanks for the input!

Come see the WIP!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 9th May 2006 11:20
hmm, in my book, anything involving suggestion of sexuality instantly goes up an extra level. Add violence, and assumed blood shed, another level (or same level as the first up (T)).

Oh yeah, thanks for not taking that as something that sounds disgusting, as it was not meant to sound that way.

anyways, nice job on the game.

I have the BEST signature ever! I bet you cant guess what it is!
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 12:03
what are you some ratings guy out for blood?

Good stuff Cash, looks very invovative. Cant wait for a completed game!

greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 12:11
It's all good. My RPGs will definitely have elements of sexuality and violence absent from most games in the genre. I have a vision of a more mature style of RPG, like a rated R movie - more real and gritty than ever before.

Now, even though Geisha House will be mild by comparison, I am definitely guilty of using sexual overtones in my advertising. I think my sig is a bit... provocative. It's definitely drawn people to look at my WIP.

Quote: "anyways, nice job on the game. "

Quote: "Good stuff Cash, looks very invovative. Cant wait for a completed game!"

Thanks guys! I'm pretty much done with the scary things (work wise). It's easy to make some guy walk around a landscape, but actually making an interactive world is another. My core engine is fast and solid, and my interface is almost there. Once magic and conversation is done, I'll be set to integrate it all and release a demo.

Come see the WIP!
Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 9th May 2006 17:57
@ Cash
So we're both cool now?
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 19:12
I will download your demo, now.

Expect review.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 19:14 Edited at: 9th May 2006 19:15
Drew Cameron, be warned! It's just the interface, not the game. The engine and interface will be merged soon, then expect a demo that can live up to the hype!!!

The engine has all of the NPCs, working combat and AI, all the main stuff. It doesn't have objects or inventory. I'm just working out the inventory management / magic systems separately to speed development.

Come see the WIP!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 19:19 Edited at: 9th May 2006 19:19
Based on video of water, as I am having issues downloading here:

The water is from that landscape demo, is it not? I used to be using that, but then I found some faster water shader code that I could send you? (If I can find it )

Just to be picky, and not to patronise, but could you increase the X&Y Scaling of the water, because it looks too 'big' compared to the characters if you get me?

Secondly - the movement code is like one loop out from the camera code it appears, because when you move fowards in the video, the character jumps foward ever so slightly. I had the same problem in my game.

Thirdly: I will wait for demo then man, looks pretty neat - I like the fish and everything. I also like people who make the engine before they add detail, because people who do that seem to actually finish projects.

Thirdly, you are most certainly going to do this, but SHADOW for main character!

Please don't see this all as criticism, it really is intended to be constructive man!

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 19:20
Sorry about poor grammer in above post, can't be bothered editing it loads I have viral arthritis at mo. which makes typing sore

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 19:38 Edited at: 9th May 2006 19:39
Quote: "The water is from that landscape demo, is it not? I used to be using that, but then I found some faster water shader code that I could send you? (If I can find it )"

That it is. I would absolutely love a faster shader. Much appreciated!

Quote: "Just to be picky, and not to patronise, but could you increase the X&Y Scaling of the water, because it looks too 'big' compared to the characters if you get me?"

Hmmm... you mean X&Z? Or that the depth of the water is too much? I'll do whatever it takes to look better.

Quote: "Secondly - the movement code is like one loop out from the camera code it appears, because when you move fowards in the video, the character jumps foward ever so slightly. I had the same problem in my game."

That is absolutely brilliant. I'm using a totally different camera controller now, I'll have to see if that's still an issue. But, I definitely know what the source of the problem is, if indeed that is a problem.

Quote: "Thirdly: I will wait for demo then man, looks pretty neat - I like the fish and everything. I also like people who make the engine before they add detail, because people who do that seem to actually finish projects."

Yeah, there is a graveyard of RPGs here. People start too big, with 8 races and 16 classes and infinite terrain. I figure if I can code the greatest engine using a small game, I can get the help I need to make a big game. People usually don't help with such things because the likelyhood of their work actually amounting to anything is next to zero. If they can play a demo, it's all good.

Quote: "Thirdly, you are most certainly going to do this, but SHADOW for main character!"

Yeah, not sure what I'm going to do yet, but it's a must. In a while, I'll poke around for ideas.

Quote: "Please don't see this all as criticism, it really is intended to be constructive man!"

I love every bit of it. It all helps me to improve it. And don't be sorry about spelling or grammer, I didn't notice a thing in your post.

Drew C, did you get a chance to download the interface demo? I'd love to hear what you have to say about it. The collision with the Plastic Crate is not working at all. I have no idea what that's about. Otherwise, it's pretty solid. You can press enter to enter a message, press 'a' for attack mode (there's nothing to attack), drag items around, open containers, and drop items into them.

Thanks!

Come see the WIP!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 23:04 Edited at: 9th May 2006 23:06
I will be keeping an eye on this man, but no I didn't get the interface demo just yet - I will return to do so.

By X&Y, I mean almost like the Scale Object Texture equivalent of the shader, I have no idea how you fix it with that water you've got, but I know how to do it on the new shader I'll send you, so ignore.

Is it Advanced Terrain yeah? If you've seen Dumbow & Cool at all, give it a look (it should be on this board) and see if you like the shadows I've got in them - I could send you the code for them: I forget if I updated the demo to include this, but they sort of align to the matrix, so they don't jut into it. You can have them like scaling as a character moves correspondingly, and it looks pretty okay!

I'll be back with shader code, possibly shadow code if you'd like and also interface feedback.

Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 10th May 2006 00:05
I'm noob slapped, so you have to reread some messages to get to mine. Thanks Cash.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 00:50
Okay, emailed you the new shader and stuff.

Will try Interface as well, soon.

Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought Geisha House was a kind of Japanese Techno.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 04:51
@Strong Bad-
E-mailed you.

@Drew Cameron - Hey that water shader was pretty awesome. I really appreciate it.

If you get a chance to dig up that shadow code, I'd love to have it. I just downloaded D&C, that is a damned good game. I'll definitely be buying it.

The shadow texture appears to be a round, alpha blended .png. It looks really good, and like it has next to no overhead. I'd probably modify the texture to be more human creature shaped, but I think that's definitely what I'm going for. The whole bending to the terrain thing is what I'm sure would cost me the most time. I'd love to get my hands on it.

Quote: "I thought Geisha House was a kind of Japanese Techno. "

Hmm... a strobe light. That's an idea...

Come see the WIP!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 10:31 Edited at: 10th May 2006 10:31
Thanks man!

First of all, how are you doing your Terrain collision for the main character?

I've never used Advanced Terrain, but is it like a get ground height command that you are using for the character? If so, then the code should easily work on Advanced Terrains as well as Matrices.

Let us know, and I'll send it across!

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 10:45
Yeah, it's Get Terrain Ground Height. Works just the same. I'm using NGC for all of the game models, and Get Terrain Ground Height for the terrain. Most people use raycasting to the terrain, but it gives the same result as the ground height method and is slower.

Come see the WIP!
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 18:10
Geisha's were basically women who did jobs for paying clients, and because of their beauty, they were able to get secrets from the men in question, and tell these secrets to the people who hired them. (It was a good way for a lower class women to get money). But once they married someone else, they arent allowed to be geisha, but they can open a school of sorts, teaching more women the ways of the geisha. They arent directly related to the kyoto court I dont think.

Evil Mods keep erasing my below 600x120 sig...
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 19:24
From what I read, geisha were picked at a very young age to work in a geisha house. They'd pretty much be servants to the ladies of the house for the first few years, but would also take lessons on everything from ettiquette, to current affairs, to several musical instruments, dancing and singing, tea ceremonies, and to how to wear a kimono properly. If I remember right, geisha means art. And they were trained in pretty much them all.

I.e. the work was long and very hard, and they were treated like slaves for the most part, but if they did well enough, and were skilled and pretty enough, they could become an actual geisha.

To hire a geisha for your business meeting, party or similar was a phenomenal status symbol. They were the perfect entertainers - able to discuss the recent news and business events, able to entertain with jokes and wittisisms, ready to sing and play instruments - both refined polite music and rowdy crowdpleasers.

They were employed to be the life of any party, meeting or gathering.

Of course, there was a less polite side to it - as there was for pretty much any profession from days of yore. There was backstabbing in the geisha house for 'head geisha' position, for the affections and attentions of the biggest paying clients, even for the chance to wear the most beautiful kimono (which would belong to the geisha house, not to the geisha themselves). Yes, some of them had 'physical relations' with clients, but generally this was the choice of the geisha, and not their job.

There were real prostitutes elsewhere, and some of them even tried to dress like geisha - but without years of training, schooling, and the right clothes and contacts - all they were were cheap women in cheaper kimono.

Also, did you know there is one male geisha left in the world? He's very old now, and of course geisha isn't the right word for him, but he is the last of a lesser known profession. He was the life of the party too.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. Sorry Cash.
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 01:56
pretty close to what I said I guess, but meh. I havent taken history or world history for 5-6 years

Evil Mods keep erasing my below 600x120 sig...
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 08:07 Edited at: 12th May 2006 08:09
Here's the latest...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=849316

Same interface as before, but I'm integrated the magic system. Press 'm' to enter or exit, click on magic runes to activate each one.

There are no 'spells' yet, but the system is in place. So, to do...

Add spells
Work out new bugs
Old bugs... I might have fixed them all...

Quote: "I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. Sorry Cash. "

No need to be sorry. Great and relevant info!

Work continues!!!

Come see the WIP!
Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2006 17:52
Can you please upload your pong game Cash? You know, on the other thread. Thanks
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 19:15 Edited at: 14th May 2006 19:15
A couple days with no news, but I've been working hard. I've set up the framework for spellcasting. Right now, I'm adding books in game. They already work, now I just need to get page turning to work like I want it to.

I also spent major time reorganizing my code. It's all indented correctly now and a bit more efficient. I still had a couple nested loops running that I didn't need. So, the whole thing is a bit faster now.

Quote: "Can you please upload your pong game Cash? You know, on the other thread. Thanks"

I will, but not now. In a day or two. Sorry for the delay.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 19:24 Edited at: 15th May 2006 13:11
This is looking really good. I'm very pleased to see that you're trying to push boundaries gameplay-wise. Originality is getting quite rare these days.

Unfortunately I havn't had a chance to test anything yet. Might get a chance later though.

[Edit]

Ok, I just tried it and overall I'm impressed. There are a couple of things I'll point out though.

Inventory and moving about

The system does take alot of getting used to. You probably already know this, but I thought I'd mention it because it took be a while to be able to move the objects about with ease. Having said that, once I got the hang of it, it was the funnest inventory system I've ever used.

The character spins when on top of the barrel. This has already been pointed out, though so you can choose to ignore this.

When the character is pushing an item, the animation doesn't flow smoothly. The legs seem to go semi-transparent and flicker alot. It looks like a collision problem, but I'm not particularly experienced in this area to give any useful advice.

Magic

Not much to say here, really. The effects are really cool when you click on a rune, and it felt good. I can see myself much more likely to choose the mage class because the magic seems to be much more in control of the player, rather than having your spell fail due to random numbers.

A small crit would be that I felt that the runes moved slightly too slowly. Maybe increase the speed with each rune that has been selected? This would make more complex spells harder to cast.

Good luck with this.

IceBound -No, really-We're quite good.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 14:50
@Bahamut-
You're awesome. I always love getting feedback. It helps me improve the system.

Quote: "Having said that, once I got the hang of it, it was the funnest inventory system I've ever used."

That made my day. This is what I was hoping for, a system that was fun to use and actually contributed its own element to the gameplay.

Quote: "The character spins when on top of the barrel. This has already been pointed out, though so you can choose to ignore this."

I probably will disable this. It's just weird, I guess. I'll think about exactly what I want to do, the answer will come to me.

Quote: "When the character is pushing an item, the animation doesn't flow smoothly. The legs seem to go semi-transparent and flicker alot. It looks like a collision problem, but I'm not particularly experienced in this area to give any useful advice."

It's actually becuase I didn't include my real animation controller in this demo. This won't happen in the real version, so you can actually ignore this one.

Quote: "A small crit would be that I felt that the runes moved slightly too slowly. Maybe increase the speed with each rune that has been selected? This would make more complex spells harder to cast."

At the moment, the speed is arbitrary. When I've got spells I'll play around with it. This will actually be very soon, as I've nearly got the books integrated and the spell framework already is.

Quote: "I can see myself much more likely to choose the mage class because the magic seems to be much more in control of the player, rather than having your spell fail due to random numbers."

Very awesome. That is, after all, what I'm trying to do.

I hope to give game players a similar feeling with the combat system, which is already done, but part of the main engine. I think that the more control I give users, the more fun each part of the game will be. I've never liked turn based / choose what you want to do from a menu systems. I want detailed, action based systems.

I'm glad you liked the systems, and I will keep trying to improve them. Work continues!!!

Come see the WIP!
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 17:33
Quote: "Quote: "The character spins when on top of the barrel. This has already been pointed out, though so you can choose to ignore this."

I probably will disable this. It's just weird, I guess. I'll think about exactly what I want to do, the answer will come to me."

I'm in no way an experienced programmer (got DB 3 years ago-started using it in January), but the spining on the box problem looked like it was something to do with collision. Having only used very basic collision, I'm not sure though. Hope you get the problem solved.

IceBound -No, really-We're quite good.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 19:05 Edited at: 15th May 2006 19:06
Wooo!!! The spellbook is done and fully functional. You can open the sucker up, turn pages, listen to cute little page turning sounds, etc. My head hurts.

I also managed to make the program yet more efficient. I found some Matrix code leftover from the days of werewolves and vampires that was running some unecessary loops once again.

Tomorrow will probably be 100% homework, but after that I'll integrate spells.

Quote: "I'm in no way an experienced programmer (got DB 3 years ago-started using it in January), but the spining on the box problem looked like it was something to do with collision. Having only used very basic collision, I'm not sure though. Hope you get the problem solved."

You're absolutely right, although it's a bit more complex. It has to do with the collision radius vs. drag radius vs. character radius. I initially thought I'd keep the behavior so that you'd be able to climb on top of barrels, perhaps as part of a puzzle. But, it's just weird. It's a very easy fix, I just have to keep the character from moving once it's a certain distance from the rotational center of the object. Right now it's slightly less than the radius of the object, which allows the character to climb on top.

Peace everyone! And thanks for your help! This wouldn't be nearly so good without everyone's help.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 15th May 2006 22:13
Wow, this game is looking better and better each second. Can't wait for the full thing to be release.. Will it be freeware or will you sell it?
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 02:42
Quote: "Tomorrow will probably be 100% homework"

(GASP)
I thought you had kids and stuff!! You're in collage? Meh, ok.

Looks awesome Cash. I haven't tried the latest demo yet, but you should really allow the player to control the tilt of the camera and maybe the distance. I'd personally prefer playing it at a 45 degree angle or so.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 03:52
I'm in several Collages actually...and have a job. Not to mention I got to a University for higher education!

Your goose is cooked.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 04:38 Edited at: 16th May 2006 04:39
Quote: "Wow, this game is looking better and better each second. Can't wait for the full thing to be release.. Will it be freeware or will you sell it?"

This game will be freeware. It will probably include 1 hour of gameplay. My next game will be sold, using this engine.

Quote: "(GASP)
I thought you had kids and stuff!! You're in collage? Meh, ok."

Well, I'm one of the oldest guys in class (26). And I've got an assload of kids. As my eye doctor kindly pointed out to me one time, I was the oldest guy on his schedule that day.

Quote: "Looks awesome Cash. I haven't tried the latest demo yet, but you should really allow the player to control the tilt of the camera and maybe the distance. I'd personally prefer playing it at a 45 degree angle or so."

I did add some tilt to the thing (I'm sure you've played one with tilt). I'll definitely add distance control, using the mouse wheel. I'll experiment with camera tilt, probably with CTRL-mousewheel. I know that the more horizontal the camera gets, the more restricted to the y-plane object movement becomes, so I'll play around with it and put a limit on it.

Come see the WIP!
Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 16th May 2006 05:16 Edited at: 16th May 2006 05:17
For clarification purposes,
You mean you will edit all the code on this game for your next shareware game, like use this completed engine to make the next game, like as a template or something?
Then did you code this project off scratch or something like that. Thanks

edit
Anyway, how long have you been programming in Dark Basic/Professional?
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 06:31 Edited at: 16th May 2006 06:32
Quote: "You mean you will edit all the code on this game for your next shareware game, like use this completed engine to make the next game, like as a template or something?"

I won't have to edit the code. I'm building it so that world generation is completely scripted. Every attribute of every item / character / building / whatever can be changed by changing the LUA script. The specific files and number of entities initally generated are included in the script.

Soon, I'll introduce scripting of things such as AI, conversation, NPC schedules, and game flags.

It's a new way to program. It certainly takes longer in the beginning than hard coding everything. However, once the game has reached a certain size, it is a blessing not to have to recompile to change every little thing. Especially, to be able to add items or NPCs or books or spells to the game without having to recompile.

Quote: "Then did you code this project off scratch or something like that. Thanks"

I'm sorry, I don't follow. Over time I've developed a modular game function library that I can re-use in every game. I also use some useful functions developed by others. I'm just not sure what you mean by 'off scratch'.

Quote: "Anyway, how long have you been programming in Dark Basic/Professional? "

A little over a year now.

Come see the WIP!
Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 16th May 2006 18:09
About the coding from scratch, did you start with a blank document and start typing everything in? Like, not starting off another code project that someone else made? I'm just curious.

Quote: "A little over a year now."

DBP? DBC?
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 18:24 Edited at: 16th May 2006 18:26
@Cash Curtis II:

This engine looks really nice! And so does the game you're creating with it!

Good job.

Cheers,

The Nerd

3D Arcade-like game:
SpaceBattle-Shootout
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 19:17 Edited at: 17th May 2006 17:36
Quote: "About the coding from scratch, did you start with a blank document and start typing everything in? Like, not starting off another code project that someone else made? I'm just curious."

Oh, I see. I started it from scratch then. I've got various functions from other people added in, but I've written 95% of everything else. I code very differently from most people, I use an entity based system rather than an object system. I also use frame based animation and timer based movement. Most programs that other people have written accomplish a very limited set of things with hard coding. I prefer to do it right from the beginning.

Quote: "DBP? DBC? "

I started with DBP a little over a year ago.

Quote: "This engine looks really nice! And so does the game you're creating with it!"

Thanks! I should have a demo in about a month, so stay tuned. Have you had a chance to test out the interface demo? Glad you like what you see so far!!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 19:24
Quote: "Thanks! I should have a demo in about a month, so stay tuned. Have you had a chance to test out the interface demo? Glad you like what you see so far!!
"

No, I haven't had a chance to test out the interface demo yet, but if I get time, I will do it tommorow!

-The Nerd

3D Arcade-like game:
SpaceBattle-Shootout
Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 17th May 2006 03:01
One more quick question, hope you don't mind.
When you mean engine, do you mean all the code? Or all the code compiled, or you wrote a program and you use that program to make the game. Thanks
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 03:33 Edited at: 17th May 2006 17:36
I never mind questions when they're relevant.

Okay, the engine is every bit of code I'm typing in. I compile it, it loads all of the media, and it runs the game I've designed.

Think of the FPSC EXE - it decides what media to load based on what some text files say. None of that stuff is specifically coded into the engine. So, it's very easy to create different games with the same EXE.

My engine (EXE) will be much the same. The EXE will start up, load a couple of text files, then load all of the media that the text files tell it to. Then, it will create things like items, characters, animals, etc, with the attributes I've laid out in the text files.

So, I'll be able to make different types of RPGs without recompiling the engine all the time. Now, if I want to add a feature, then I edit the code. RPGs are just so huge and complex that hard coding everything requires you to recompile every time you make a single little change. Since it can take 5 minutes to compile the crap, that equals LOTS of wasted time, when I could just be changing values inside of a text file.

Now, I haven't made a game editor yet. Right now I edit the engine in DBP and edit the game files in Notepad. When I do, it will be somewhat similar to FPSC. I'll load a terrain, buildings, models, etc., and assign them all attributes. Then it saves all of the information to text files for the EXE to read in.

My goal is simply to make an RPG engine that is reusable. Going to this much trouble to write the damned thing, I want to be able to make several good games with it.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 14:28 Edited at: 17th May 2006 14:31
Hi Cash,

Just played around with your interface demo. It's really nice! I like it! Well done!

Sorry that my comments aren't very long But I didn't find any bugs, and I just think that it's nicely done.

-The Nerd

3D Arcade-like game:
SpaceBattle-Shootout
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 17:48 Edited at: 17th May 2006 17:54
Quote: "Sorry that my comments aren't very long But I didn't find any bugs, and I just think that it's nicely done."

Thanks! No bugs can only be good. You missed all of the fun bugs, but don't worry, I'm busy introducing plenty more.

No homework tonight, but with the millions I make off of this project, who cares? Least of all my wife...

Well, I've got the entire magic system working!!! I only have one scripted spell, but I can add as many as I want to now with the script file. It's beautiful.

Here's the windup, after the spell has been chosen (the cursor sparkles when it's targeting magic)...

It's flying around! Where will it go!?!

Haha! Take that, you punk ass duck!

It all works very nicely. The sounds are nice and destructive. Still many things to work out, namely the dynamic sound binding and getting the frame rate up a bit. I know what I'll do, but I'll save it for later.

I fixed one more bug that no one might have even noticed. While carrying objects in your pack, you might notice they'd get dislodged every now and then. 99% sure it's completely fixed now.

I will return with more!
4130 lines now!! All of that extra is magic, which pretty much worked the first time I tried it. I added hundreds of lines with only a couple of dumb errors. I'm on a roll!!!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 17th May 2006 18:00
Wow that's a cool idea Cash, you just include a the main game file whic h is in notepad and so you already have your created EXE. Nice, I learn tips everyday.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2006 19:26 Edited at: 19th May 2006 19:28
Okay, current progress...

I completely redid the magic system. Why, you ask? Well, it worked well enough. It used a purely scripted particle system to create projectile effects and impact effects. However, I took an ugly shortcut. I created an emitter for every single character and item in the game. That's only good for a very small number of items. With any sizable number, it would terribly bog down the system.

Plus, I just bought the new 2D animated sprite pack. It's great, and worth every penny. I've integrated them fully into the magic system. Now, every spell can have either a particle effect for the projectile and the impact. Quite nice and quite flexible. I'm also using a new resource management system that creates emitters and animated plains as it needs to, and reuses old ones. Doing this, I might never exceed 5 dynamic emitters and plains.

I'm going to use the animated plains wherever I can. Chimney smoke, fires, coals, etc. They're much better on the FPS than particles, because basically it's just one animated particle.

Quote: "Wow that's a cool idea Cash, you just include a the main game file whic h is in notepad and so you already have your created EXE. Nice, I learn tips everyday. "

It SUCKS setting it up. However, once it's done properly, it's a great feeling to be able to change things in Notepad. Not just things like spell strength, but things like particles, animations, spells, etc.

No demo just yet. I have to finish magic, then I'll release it.
As always, work continues!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 19:46 Edited at: 24th May 2006 02:52
Some new pictures of the next release of the interface demo. I've been on a graphic design kick, so I made a small house for the demo, lightmapped it, and have been working on animated plain effects such as chimney smoke and fire.

It's giving me a chance to integrate things like building culling into the demo. Everything is working pretty well together so far.

Inside the house. Notice the roof has vanished.

Chimney smoke, hard to see as a still picture...

Magic system again...

Take that, you stupid duck!

Looking in the window.

Now, you can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel, and tilt the mouse angle however you want to. That's how the window shot was taken, no special tricks this time.

I still need to add the other spells, but I've got everything set up. There will be four for this demo, 12 in Geisha House.

Oh, I lightmapped the Geisha House also!!

Well, more will come soon.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 20:04
looks nice.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
TobiasWK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 21:23
wow... im impressed, it looks great!

Current projects:
FPS Multiplayer - 10% (making network code)
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 21:43
I replied to your theory thread with a very long and boring post about framerate tests.

Those new screens look great, by the way.

Where did you get the graphics? Did you make them yourself, or download/buy them?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 02:55 Edited at: 24th May 2006 02:58
A couple screens of the newly lightmapped, z-order repaired Geisha House. All of my door and window frames were messed up, which had me bummed out, considering how long it took me to build this damned house, but all is well now!

The carnage... the guard just killed me after I killed his friend. I wonder why...

Inside shot of the house...

@Bahamut -
I really appreciate the post! I feel better about things now. I blame my kids for whatever is going wrong.
Quote: "Where did you get the graphics? Did you make them yourself, or download/buy them?"

I'm making all of the buildings right now in 3DWS. Great program. It lets me pretend I'm a pro (I guess that's the whole point of DBP, though, isn't it?). The models are all placeholders from various Dark Matter collections. Eventually, I'll make my models, but for now they let me do what I need to do. Besides, I don't want to model everything.

Thanks guys for the comments! More soon!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great keep up the work this is a very original design.

The admiral
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 15:49 Edited at: 26th May 2006 14:04
It's been a while, but that's because there was a lot that I wanted to add.

In this version, there is a lightmapped house. Also, the magic system has been added. It's big, 24 mb, but a LOT there is a LOT that is new. To make matters worse, I wasted a good hour trying to upload it to TGCs server. Apparently, the 50 mb limit is BOGUS, so I had to use some FREE crap. I'll have a website soon, though.

RPG Interface Demo, 24 Megabytes

There is still no point, it's just the interface in action. The spells have no effect. Some things you can do...

The spellbook is laying on the floor. Pick it up, double click it to open.
Press 'm' to enter magic mode. You can then cast the spells in the book (the three of them).
I included a console shortcut for spellcasting. Press 'enter', then type either 'a', 'b', or 'c' and 'enter' again to cast spell 1, 2, or 3.

Cast from the spellbook! It's more fun!!! It took a bit, but I got the hang of it...

A magic target cursor will appear. Select any dynamic item (including the character) as the spell target.

Bizar guy, this one is for you!!! You can zoom in or out with the mouse wheel. If you hold down control+scroll the mouse wheel, it will change the camera angle. So now, you can control the zoom / angle however you want. I love it!!

Also, check out the chimney smoke. I'm quite proud of it, it's a single textured plain.

There are undoubtedly some quirks, but I've fixed so many things. I fixed many secret bugs, sneaky hard little bugs.

I just need to figure out my conversation system and implement it. Also, after Saikoro sends his music my way, the magic system will be so much richer.

After that, I'll vanish for a while and combine the two systems into one.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 08:37:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 08:37:14