Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG Engine: Geisha House. Screenshots and interface Beta test.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 15:57
Fair enough. I was just making sure that wasn't just how the game worked. I have cheats built in to my games for testing as well. No criticism then! Great work!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 19:35 Edited at: 6th Jun 2006 19:38
Here's tonight's work. I added blood without breaking anything else, and I added some static world animals, like crows and butterflies. I don't think the butterflies are in the video, though.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=901424

Quote: "I am inspired to make your blood for you. "

You're awesome, McLaine. I've only created the animated texture for the blood pool, but I haven't done anything in the way of making it form to the terrain or building models. Having the ability to do both would be incredible. I do appreciate your help.

Until next time!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 19:04
Awesome lighting dude!

The New Generation Of Game Development. Coming Soon!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 05:33 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 05:41
I implemented NPC spawn points. They're the red cube things right now, I'm still debugging. This was like a scene out of Warcraft III, but with better blood.

I fixed some z-fighting problems with the blood as well. I'm quite pleased with the animated blood decals, it's my first animated sprite that I've ever made. If you've not seen it in action yet, watch the video from my last post. I can't wait until they form to the terrain.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

McLaine
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll be on that terrain forming blood for you as soon as I get back after this weekend.

It's not my fault!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 15:09 Edited at: 9th Jun 2006 15:21
I've been working on getting the frame-rates up. I've been pretty successful, without compromising anything visually.

I've changed how out of screen things work. I skip past most of the animating that occurs off screen, and all of the combat ray-casting. I'll continue to optimize. I still have various oddities to fix and optimizations to make before I proceed. My mission - to make the engine as efficient as possible every step of the way.

This will of course allow me to create much larger worlds. More can be occurring off screen, as the system load is less.

McLaine, I really appreciate your help. I'll keep driving on with what I'm doing, and look forward very much to your contribution.

I've got a question for you, though. How hard is it to form the blood plain to non-terrain models? I see the simplicity of terrain in that the absolute height at any given X-Z coordinate can be accurately reported. On top of .X models, similar functionality can ?? be simulated by comparing the Y coordinate of the entity and raycasting to the distance of the .X model. How practical does this sound?

Well, back to work.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 15:12
Looks great, as usual. I can't wait to try out your next demo. It looks like you've added loads more to do.

IceBound Melodic rock/metal band with loads of lead guitar, clean female vocals, and more guitars! What more could you want?
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 09:00 Edited at: 15th Jun 2006 06:27
I've been doing boring work lately. I've solidified my conversation and game flag system. I've been coding a lot on paper.

The main thing I wanted to resolve was exactly how I'd implement scripted game flags. That is, the ability to alter things in the game based on the actions of the player. A game flag can have various actions, including altering conversational responses, moving characters, creating NPCs, displaying animations and playing sounds, executing a cut scene, etc. Properly executed, the story can be progressed by unlocking sequences of flags. Hard coding such a thing is pretty easy, but efficiently scripting such a thing has been challenging.

I've also been fixing some functionality bugs. Slow work, but I've been tracking them down.

The oddest thing has been happening lately. If I have an error, I see to always get "! Unknown Error". It's starting to get frustrating. Has anyone had this error?

Well, back to work.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 20:41
Videos all look great and that flag system sounds good. I've been getting a lot of ideas from looking at the Aurora editor for Neverwinter Nights and then thinking about how they made it. I'm mostly trying to work on a decent conversation engine with multiple choices resulting in different quests etc. As for the coding on paper, I do that a lot. I am such a geek! Anyway...back on track. Great work!

driftman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 06:42
Wow. It's lookin' great Cash.

I have a lil' white jacket that lets me hug myself forever.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 06:31 Edited at: 15th Jun 2006 06:32
Okay, I'll christen this page with a couple of new pictures. The video is not ready yet, as I have some timer based irregularities to fix with my new door system.

The camera view has been lowered slightly to get a decent shot. This can be done in-game, so it's not trick or anything.

The door system is pretty flexible. I can introduce scripted doors, windows, drawbridges, etc.

Been working on a lot of stuff, like I said earlier a lot of internal stuff. I discovered recently that every loop I was performing an unnecessary distance check for every gump object. With a lot of characters running around, that could have been an evil invisible slowdown. Luckily, I caught it.

Debugging is a pain now. I rarely get useful error messages if I do something wrong. I guess after a certain amount of code the EXE doesn't care why it crashed.

Well, I'm going to take a break for now.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Well done man thats impressive wish i had such a great engine heh.

The admiral
McLaine
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes Cash, the method you described can be used to get the height of the ground if it is a .X model or such.

I take it this is the case in your game?

It's not my fault!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 12:51 Edited at: 15th Jun 2006 16:19
@McLaine -
I use advanced terrain and .dbo models. I don't run collision with the AT, as retrieving the ground heights is just as functional and more efficient than raycasting.

So, the raycasting would only be necessary if the model is colliding with a building. Otherwise, it would conform to the terrain underneath the character.

Quote: "Well done man thats impressive wish i had such a great engine heh."

Don't sell yourself short. It has a well developed HUD and it looks like it's developing nicely.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 13:59
I guess you'll be wanting your sound effects soon then I've got a shipment just about ready for ya...

"One World, One Web, One Program" -Microsoft ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer"(One People, One Kingdom, One Leader)-Adolf Hitler.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 16:23 Edited at: 15th Jun 2006 16:23
I've been trying some things out...

The light ray effects are animated, quite fitting in this type of game. I'll include it in my next video. Nothing of the sort at the moment though, I have too many features to finalize before I can record them.

Quote: "I guess you'll be wanting your sound effects soon then I've got a shipment just about ready for ya..."

I very much look forward to it. I just finished all of the spells today, I'm just putting together the pages in the spell book right now. It will be fantastic. This will just complete the magic system.

You guys are great. Great comments, feedback, and help. Thanks!!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 21:02
This just gets better and better! A small thing like those light rays makes a huge difference to the appearance of the game. I'm getting slightly tired of saying this but you deserve it; great work!

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 06:38
Quote: "I'm getting slightly tired of saying this but you deserve it; great work!"

Yea, I'm sure Cash is getting slightly tired of hearing it as well, jk...

Needed my daily Cash inspiration before logging in some time on my engine...
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 10:20 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 10:23
Quote: "This just gets better and better! A small thing like those light rays makes a huge difference to the appearance of the game. I'm getting slightly tired of saying this but you deserve it; great work!"

Quote: "Yea, I'm sure Cash is getting slightly tired of hearing it as well, jk..."

No way I love good feedback. It fuels the fire. Sometimes it's tedius work. I think the reason people post WIPs is to validate their work.

Quote: "Needed my daily Cash inspiration before logging in some time on my engine... "

That made my day.

Well, I haven't been coding, I've been doing graphic work. I HATE Treemagic textures. The trees themselves are low poly and look good, but the leaf and branch textures straight up suck. All of the edges are jagged, and the leaves are too big, unnaturally obscuring the view with fake foilage.

So, I've been working on my own tree textures. I built them nearly from scratch - I based the branches off of TMs branches, and put my own leaves on the tree. Now they look good, they all face in the correct direction, and there are no odd floating leaves. What sloppy crap. I've got a couple good looking trees in the chute, all very different looking. I should make a tree maker that doesn't suck. Another day perhaps. I'm determined to stay focused on this. The only thing that might get me off track is the upcoming official TGC competition.

I'm proud of my trees now. Time for a break.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
The tree looks awesome your right about tree magic too.

The admiral
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 11:15
looking pretty fit there c-money. can't wait to see teh vid.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 07:55 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 07:57
I finally finished all of the spells in the spellbook! It was long and tedious and sucked, but it's finally taken care of. Soon all of the spell effects and animations will be done.

Here is a shot from outside. Still pretty bare, but it's coming along.

I just realized, those butterflies look HUGE. They're really not, I think the problem is that they're flying too high. I'll fix it.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 14:23
Quote: "Here is a shot from outside. Still pretty bare, but it's coming along.
"

It looka great but not too bare. It looks like there is a lot crowded in one are but if you spread it out a bit it will look even better.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 19:03 Edited at: 19th Jun 2006 07:25
I fixed the butterfly problem. It actually took me a long time. All of my scaling numbers were reporting correctly, and I was scaling them all correctly, but they just weren't scaling. Then I moved the code and it work. More magical bug fixes...

It's been a long night of programming. I'm nowhere near a compile, as what I'm doing now will take a couple hundred more lines to work correctly. I'm eliminating the last bits of hard coding before I implement my conversation system. I always hard code new feature before I make them scriptable.

Quote: "It looka great but not too bare. It looks like there is a lot crowded in one are but if you spread it out a bit it will look even better."

Uh oh. Like, too crowded? I was hoping for more crowding. You know, grass and rocks and the terrain from my Geisha House demo. And 3D sounds happening all over the place. Well, the 3D sounds all over the place is already happening. I love it.

What does everyone think, is it getting too crowded? My idea is that just enough will create an immersing world, but maybe I'm overdoing it.

Well, back to work.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks fine to me as long as you dont get too much drag on the fps i guess.

The admiral
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 02:26
I think what andrew neale is saying is that in your latest screen, all of the objects seem unevenly dispersed. It's not overpopulated as such, but just outside the door, there are flowers, enemies, butterflies, and a bird. The bottom third of the screen contains nothing.

Looks awesome though. Keep it up. I look forward to playing it.

IceBound Melodic rock/metal band with loads of lead guitar, clean female vocals, and more guitars! What more could you want?
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 07:17 Edited at: 19th Jun 2006 07:33
Here's the latest video. It took quite a bit of fine tuning to get everything right.

RPG Foilage Video

I've put all of the spells into the book, but not all of them have effects, or good animations. Even with scripting it's pretty tedious. I'll get them to look more dazzling. I know just the thing...

Now, there are no shaders yet. I plan to use Evolved's water and HDR shader. I think I'll have transparent animated water tiles with the shader laid over the top of them. That way, if someone can't use the shader, it will still look good.

The HDR will just bring everything to life. Right now it's all still a bit flat. With some fancy lighting, it will be perfect.

I'm loading down the system pretty heavily, and the framerates are still holding up. Fraps, as always, chews up the FPS, but it still runs okay.

Quote: "I think what andrew neale is saying is that in your latest screen, all of the objects seem unevenly dispersed."

Ah, I see. Well, hopefully that's taken care of. That was the result of some hard coding. Hopefully (fingers crossed) it looks better now.

Definitely time for a break.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 16:30
Ah, wow?

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 02:54
looks really really nice dude, one problem though, the music. Sounded awesome don't get me wrong but both tracks sounded more situational, the first one being a combat one, the second being a mysterious spooky one, set for something like cave diving or crypt robbing. You should look at getting one track that is soft and mor eambient for when you are walking around like in the video, and when an enemy appears and starts attacking fade in that louder combat music, and maybe when you are walking through a crypt change it to that spooky music.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 03:12 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 19:55
I absolutely agree about the music. I just haven't gotten that far yet. Right now I just have several songs playing in a row. Soon I'll set up all of my sound and music triggers. Glad you like!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 12:23
Ah yes, music triggers =) Runescape uses them, and it really adds a lot to the mood. Glad to hear you're implementing that.

"One World, One Web, One Program" -Microsoft ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer"(One People, One Kingdom, One Leader)-Adolf Hitler.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 17:25 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 17:42
Quote: "I think what andrew neale is saying is that in your latest screen, all of the objects seem unevenly dispersed. It's not overpopulated as such, but just outside the door, there are flowers, enemies, butterflies, and a bird. The bottom third of the screen contains nothing.
"

Yes. That is what I meant. Downloading the new video now. Will comment later. But I'm sure you can guess what I'm going to say!

[Edit]Wow! Love the tree especially.[/Edit]

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 19:27 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 19:27
Glad you liked it!

Here's the latest. I've killed a few blood sucking bugs that were reducing my frame rates. I won't bore anyone with details, except for one - there was a bird caught in the attic of the house, causing nightmarish but unseen collision issues.

I overhauled my spell effect system, as I just wasn't happy with my selection of effects. I had particles and animations, which are both nice. However, I want every spell to look dazzling and different. So, now I added a few things.

Now pay attention, those are actual spell words...

Haha. Just kidding. That picture just doesn't do it justice. I couldn't get a ring that wasn't cut into with the screen capture, but at combat speed it looks nice. I'll showcase the spells in the next video.

I'm starting to memorize the spells now. I think that I really like this system. At one point in the game, the player's spell book could be taken away from them. However, if they're powerful enough, they simply won't need it any more.

I had another sinister thought. For debugging purposes, I can still cast while I'm dead. What if in some game the player could learn Necromancy? However, instead of the usual lame assortment of lameness, necromancy can only be practiced while you're dead. Say, you drank a poison, but your life force remained present, allowing you to cast spells that draw upon the power of death. Pretty evil stuff. I imagine that such a thing would wreak havoc on the body, eventually turning the caster into something horrible.

Well, I'm done for the night. I feel pretty accomplished. Until next time!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 19:44
You have a great imagination! The lightning looks great even as a still picture.

Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
try to set emissive and diffuse for your lightning...i think that can do a good effect

Sry for mybad english
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 20:05 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 20:05
A lot of good progress. I pretty much doubled the frame rate, squashing some invisible bugs and problems. Now my Fraps is 30 fps.

Here's my lightning. I've actually finished all of the spells, and I put together a 10 mb video of it all, but Apollo is very unkind to me and big files. So, here's just the lightning.

Lightning Video

Quote: "try to set emissive and diffuse for your lightning...i think that can do a good effect "

I've been experimenting with it, but no luck. Everything is lightmapped, maybe that's the problem. I'm a bit of a dud when it comes to lighting, I'm slowly getting into it.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 02:16 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2006 02:20
You skilled basterd!

Now I definatly want a demo. I'm going to be one of those people who keeps bitching for a demo. Give me one!

(Looking better by the moment Cash! Let me know if you'll be needing a GUI or something)

Even with crummy DarkMatter models and animaton, this still looks strangely interesting to play/navigate.

I like your choice of camera. I've always wanted to see/create a 3d version of Diablo 2 of the same perspective.

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 03:02
Looks pretty good lol
I watched it several times trying to understand the symbols and why you targeted yourself lol

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 03:07
Nice video, very cool.

I really like your idea for necromancers, I've always found those kind of powers to be really useless and lame in other RPG's. Your idea is really promising. It'll take some balancing though.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 03:21
Quote: "You skilled basterd!"

Haha! That's going in the game quotes.

I'm glad you liked it. I've still got a lot to do, but the end is getting closer and closer. I've got some more core things to complete before I can continue with the game itself.

Once I release Geisha House I'll take a short break, maybe for the duration of the TGC competition. Then I'm going to put together the first real team request in Apollo history. Then we can get cruel and unusual on the competition, Megaton. The Jedis are definitely going to feel this one...

Quote: "(Looking better by the moment Cash! Let me know if you'll be needing a GUI or something)"

My GUI is pretty minimal. I'm going for more of the immersive, minimal GUI type of thing. I know you've seen how containers open, and the books and such. For now I'm going to keep using borrowed and placeholder graphics, but we'll definitely get together for the real game.

Quote: "Even with crummy DarkMatter models and animaton, this still looks strangely interesting to play/navigate."

I've dressed everything up. All of the animations are blended into one another, and it's all timer based. So, it's not the usual 'Loop Object' junk that you're used to. I've also effectively doubled the number of animations I can use by reversing all of the existing ones.

Quote: "I like your choice of camera. I've always wanted to see/create a 3d version of Diablo 2 of the same perspective."

I grew up playing Ultima, and I got my fair share of Diablo too. This is exactly the type of game I've always dreamed of making.

Quote: "Looks pretty good lol
I watched it several times trying to understand the symbols and why you targeted yourself lol"

Don't read too much into that particular spell. That spell is actually 'Kill', and that's why I didn't show the spell book. However, I already have a 'Death Vortex' spell, and they were just too much the same, so I changed it to 'Lightning' after I made my animated lightning sprite.

The runes that I clicked were - Death, Water, Lower, Person. Those will change to fit the new spell though.

Glad you liked! More dazzling stuff to follow soon!

Come see the WIP!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 19:49 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2006 19:49
@Bahamut -
I missed your post earlier. I was typing when you posted, then I moved on.

Quote: "I really like your idea for necromancers, I've always found those kind of powers to be really useless and lame in other RPG's. Your idea is really promising. It'll take some balancing though."

Yeah, it certainly seems interesting and dark. I can think of all kinds of dark ways to implement it. Lots of risks involved as well. It would definitely need to be carefully balanced. I think, though, that the risk involved would mainly pertain to resurrecting yourself when you're done casting. I think it would naturally be a very powerful type of magic, giving you direct access to the powers of the dead.

I've been working on various things, one of them has been increasing the framerates. Check this out...

Eat crap and die, everyone that has ever said DBP can't make a RPG!

I'm not done, either. I have a few other tricks up my sleeve that will further increase the speed of the game. I'm going to cap it at 30, of course, but I need every FPS I can squeeze out for the final game.

Well, I'm back to work. Later!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 21:18
Great work Cash! I have been following this silently for a while, and I am definately looking forward to a demo!

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 05:55
Wow, nice work Cash, I can see why you said you'd take a while to complete those animations. I especialy like the level of interactivity this game looks to offer, that and the graphics seem to be rather good. GOod luck.

Back by unpopular demand!
Battle Legacy has gone MMORPG! Nah, Im just kidding. But seriously, check the WIP

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 07:05
This is getting better looking each time I visit very nice work.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Belial Productions
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 15:02
Quote: "Eat crap and die, everyone that has ever said DBP can't make a RPG!
"

Has anyone ever said that? Nice work increasing the frame rate there. That seems much higher.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 15:03
Lookin´ awesome! Nice graphics, effects, foliage... über!

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 16:43
Quote: "Great work Cash! I have been following this silently for a while, and I am definately looking forward to a demo!"

Heh, so am I. I'm actually not that far from a demo, I've gotten to the point that I've gotten my final task list down. Soon, I hope. Glad you like what you see!

Quote: "Wow, nice work Cash, I can see why you said you'd take a while to complete those animations. I especialy like the level of interactivity this game looks to offer, that and the graphics seem to be rather good. GOod luck."

Hey, I never got an e-mail from you at Gmail. You can either e-mail me again, or post it here, or in your thread.

Gameplay is the most important thing in a game. Too often people try to tackle game scale before they actually try to work on the game. Hopefully it all works out.

Quote: "This is getting better looking each time I visit very nice work."

Glad you like!

Quote: "Has anyone ever said that? Nice work increasing the frame rate there. That seems much higher."

Nobody important. However, the DBP boards always have someone complaining that DBP can't make Oblivian, or that it can't handle 1000000 objects, or a world 100000 miles wide, or some such crap. It's like someone without a driver's license complaining that they can't win a race with their car, so the car must suck.

Quote: "Lookin´ awesome! Nice graphics, effects, foliage... über!"

That's what I'm hoping for. I'm very picky with my products.

The big thing that I've been working with is building creation. I've set up my system to that I define the creation of one building, with dependent doors and billboards (for things like smoke, fires, torches), and I paint the landscape with instanced copies of the same thing. My problem was that I wanted to rotate the copies. I don't want my game to look like a suburban subdivision. Rotating isn't a problem, but rotating all of the dependent entities wasn't cool, as they don't rotate around the same axis. The reason I'm rotating instead of animating is so that the mesh collisions will be accurate when doors and windows are opened or closed. But, I've gotten it all worked out. I'm putting it all together right now.

Back to work. Hopefully I'll have something cool to show soon.

Come see the WIP!
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 21:39
Quote: "Hey, I never got an e-mail from you at Gmail. You can either e-mail me again, or post it here, or in your thread."

Really? Well I wounder what went wrong. Guess My aol acount is crappier then I ever could have predicted. Heres the file, thanks again!

Back by unpopular demand!
Battle Legacy has gone MMORPG! Nah, Im just kidding. But seriously, check the WIP

Attachments

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 20:51 Edited at: 28th Jun 2006 20:59
It's been a bit since I've posted an update, but I've definitely been hard at work. I've been working on the Geisha House world. I've got my terrain worked out, it's quite lovely. I've added the ability to add animated tile maps to the world that can rotated on all axes. I can specify the map dimensions and the split, and it will create the correct number of tiles. I can also leave out specific tiles with a LUA script. Here's my ocean...

It's a very efficient system. Each tile map can also move up and down at whatever speed I specify. I'll can also rotate them in such a way that I'll be able to create animated streams, rivers, waterfalls, etc. I've got my swamp added already.

A big part of the work was keeping the framerates up. When I first added everything, it sank to 100 fps (this is a mini project, not part of the main one yet). Now it's back up to a consistent 400 fps with no visual compromise.

I've also been experimenting with the HDR shader. It looks great, but it's just too slow. I guess I won't be using it.

I've done other things, but they're even less interesting than anything else I've said. Integrating the two systems should be easy enough, then I'll have some cool stuff to show. I'll also have my website by then, and I'll be able to host huge video files.

Until then!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 21:01 Edited at: 28th Jun 2006 21:01
I just hit 6 pages, so I'll christen this page with two new pictures.

Here's a side shot of my ocean. The framerate is low because I'm zoomed out.

Swamp.

Both much cooler when animated and oscillating.

From the previous page...

It's been a bit since I've posted an update, but I've definitely been hard at work. I've been working on the Geisha House world. I've got my terrain worked out, it's quite lovely. I've added the ability to add animated tile maps to the world that can rotated on all axes. I can specify the map dimensions and the split, and it will create the correct number of tiles. I can also leave out specific tiles with a LUA script. Here's my ocean...

It's a very efficient system. Each tile map can also move up and down at whatever speed I specify. I'll can also rotate them in such a way that I'll be able to create animated streams, rivers, waterfalls, etc. I've got my swamp added already.

A big part of the work was keeping the framerates up. When I first added everything, it sank to 100 fps (this is a mini project, not part of the main one yet). Now it's back up to a consistent 400 fps with no visual compromise.

I've also been experimenting with the HDR shader. It looks great, but it's just too slow. I guess I won't be using it.

I've done other things, but they're even less interesting than anything else I've said. Integrating the two systems should be easy enough, then I'll have some cool stuff to show. I'll also have my website by then, and I'll be able to host huge video files.

Until then!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 16:23:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 16:23:39