Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG Engine: Geisha House. Screenshots and interface Beta test.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 10:07
Hey Cash,

This is in ragard to the animations. My email, jrcdrummer@aol.com, seems to not be accepting emails or sending them, so please instead email me at sagetechspr@yahoo.com or just post them up at my thread, thanks.

On a more relevant note, how far, overall, is your game to completion? Its looking quite amazing as is, and Im woundering what this project holds in the near future.

Back by unpopular demand!
Battle Legacy has gone MMORPG! Nah, Im just kidding. But seriously, check the WIP

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 11:45
I'm about half way done with the animations. I've got some uneven geometry with the arms, I'll fix that tonight or tomorrow, Okinawa time.

As for the project, I just converted everything over to the advanced terrain. It's perfect. I started getting frame rates of around 80. And it's HUGE. Like, noob fantasy huge. It took me about 10 minutes to walk around the eastern side. I can't wait to populate it with vegetation.

I might have it released within a month. I'm very excited about the game's progress. It's almost been too good. I'm expected a flood or severe lightning storm soon.

Come see the WIP!
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 18:35 Edited at: 29th Jun 2006 18:35
Animations: Great to hear cash!

Your Game:

Wow, 10 minutes to walk around a map, sounds like it is indeed huge, and managing an fps of 80, thats even more amazing! Are you planning on charging for the final release or is it freeware?

Battle Legacy has gone MMORPG! Nah, Im just kidding. But seriously, check the WIP

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 23:42
This one is freeware. I'll be using many elements of this game in the next, which I'll be selling. Hopefully enough people will play this one that they'll want the next.

I'll have some new stuff to show soon. I'm still right in the middle of a few things.

Come see the WIP!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2006 16:00 Edited at: 7th Jul 2006 21:08
I've been doing some real tedious work lately. I'm done with this phase of the landscape.

Landscape Demonstration

Basically, a functional set of environmentals that are easy on the eyes and the CPU - ocean, river, waterfall, and swamp. It took me a long time to get everything just right. It would have been impossible without scripting.

Please note, I haven't added the sounds or any particles at all. This test engine is capable of loading the landscape scripts and porting them to the engine, but nothing else. However, like I said a couple posts ago, I get 80ish FPS with this new landscape, and the river and waterfall won't cost me but a couple FPS.

Also, the speed in that video sucks. I guess Fraps automatically limits it to 30 FPS no matter how fast it is. I can get as high as 300 in this test engine. As such, movement is not timer based, and is unbearably slow, but I just didn't feel like adding timer movement where it's not needed.

Time for a break.

Come see the WIP!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2006 16:06 Edited at: 1st Jul 2006 16:12
Badass!

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2006 20:42
That theres some purty stuff

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Well done a great implementation of advaced terrain.

The admiral
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 12:12
Yes, inspiring! Very good water tricks!

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 13:32
Terrain is great and water is awesome !
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 22:15
Cash, it looks incredible. I will buy this when you release, for sure!

Go to http://www.milkpaton.com/ for Awesomeness
Need php coding? Need your design to be coded? I need GFX. Contact @ webmaster@programmer-scripts.com
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 22:40 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2006 22:46
This game looks incredible. I skipped to the end of 11 pages, I think I see the demo at the top of this page....

EDIT: Yeah the water looks incredible. You make me thirsty!!!...

Thirsty for THE GAME!!!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 00:31
Cool, they liquidise games now, what an age we live in where you can drink games...dude I tasted Zelda last night, it was quite Zesty... WTF? Yeah I know, I'm sure many have learnt to ignore my randomness.

But the water looks pretty good, good work.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 17:30
Quote: "Cool, they liquidise games now, what an age we live in where you can drink games...dude I tasted Zelda last night, it was quite Zesty... WTF? Yeah I know, I'm sure many have learnt to ignore my randomness.
"

I'm sure Freud would make inuendo from that. Lol!

New screens look great and I'm with Steve J. I definately look forward to playing this.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 22:29
Cash, your water looks amazing. You scripted the water using LUA? I am new to LUA, I was wondering how you took on that task.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 03:14 Edited at: 6th Jul 2006 03:15
Man, it's been a long 4th of July weekend. Too many parties, barbecues, and standing in long crappy lines for kids rides and funnel cakes.

I have gotten a good bit of work done anyway, I just haven't got anything new to show just yet. I've pretty much finished the entire map, minus the orc village. I just haven't modeled their huts yet.

Thanks for all the great comments, guys. I'm sure glad you all like the water. I was sad that I couldn't use shaders (because of speed), that's usually the standard for good looking water. However, I am quite pleased with the results anyway.

@Alquerian -
Yeah, I script them with LUA. What I do basically is define a tileset. I can create as many as I want to in the LUA script without having to recompile, because the engine will read in every set that I define. Here's an example,

I define the area of the entire plain, and the horizontal and vertical splits. The engine creates H*V instanced tiles of the correct size, but only the tiles that have a 1. Then it orbits them around each plain if there's rotation. That's how my river is curved down into the ocean, and the waterfall flows smoothly down the rock face. The only annoying thing currently is that rotated plains can't oscillate, but I think it's an acceptable speed compromise.

It's a bit complicated how I read in the tiles, because that is a direct overhead representation of the tiles. However, it starts at element 1,1, which is actually tile 1,10 in 3D space. It just took a bit to understand the whole conversion process.

Well, I have to do some non computer work right now. I'll return later!!!

Come see the WIP!
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 04:05
Hi Cash,

I do apoligise for once again bringing this up, but I was hoping to get that animated model in time for a beta release sometime next week.
If you could manage to finish it off by then that would be great, but of course if you can't thats completly understandable seeing as youve been so busy with your project.

Also, they celebrate the 4th in Japan?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 12:26
I'm a jerk! I'm sorry. I promise, I'll get right on it. I've just been busy, and the little time I've had I've been implementing ideas that I get in my down time. Some pretty good ones, might I add.

The Japanese don't celebrate July 4th, but American military on Okinawa does. There's a huge fireworks display and carnival on Kadena Air Base each year. Unfortunately (this is going to sound weird) everything is free. That's great, except the lines all have 1209381298471298472189 people in them.

I should have a cool new video posted tonight, plus SageTech's model!!

Come see the WIP!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 21:13 Edited at: 7th Jul 2006 21:13
Landscape Demonstration

Okay, here's the landscape with a lot of new functionality. It's complete now, and I'm ready to move on to more important things. I've got a list of things I need to complete, and everything on the list is not fun.

But first things first, SageTech's model!!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 21:18
Don't keep stuff on your desktop! If windows messes up, you'll never recover the files!

<OMG></OMG>
NeX, you cant be serious - CattleRustler.
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 22:04
Great to here Cash, but, I can understand you being busy, but holy smokes! That landscape looks AMAZING.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Drools im so jealous heh congrats man you deserve it.

The admiral
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 01:42
good god, this has come a long way. Awesome job cash!!!!!!!

I can't get onto your site though.... It wants a username & password...

p.s. I never posted!! Shhhhhhhhh

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 19:28
Quote: "Don't keep stuff on your desktop! If windows messes up, you'll never recover the files!"

Hmmm... you must be spying on me. Is that advice for anyone listening, or specifically for me?

In any event, I moved and backed everything up before the last typhoon. Can't be too safe. I really would spontaneously combust if I lost my game right now.

Quote: "Great to here Cash, but, I can understand you being busy, but holy smokes! That landscape looks AMAZING."

Glad you like it Let me know how your model turned out for you.

Quote: "Drools im so jealous heh congrats man you deserve it."

Well, nothing a little hard work can't produce. Your game looks great too. I think we're just working on different parts at this point.

Quote: "good god, this has come a long way. Awesome job cash!!!!!!!
I can't get onto your site though.... It wants a username & password...
p.s. I never posted!! Shhhhhhhhh"

I'm not sure what was up with that dumb password thing. I'd created a protected folder to backup my project during the typhoon, and it locked up the entire site (not that there's anything there yet, but Megaton will be helping me out with it as soon as he gets some other things done).
Glad you like what you see! You should post more often. You always give me great feedback.

Well everyone, here are a few shots, some from my editor and some one from the game. I've been on a modeling kick lately, and I've been churning out some decent stuff for the game. I'm having DarkAI problems, and my camera tilt has been changed over for the time being, blah blah blah. Anyway, here are some pictures...

The dock, your point of embarkation to the island.

In game shot of the dock. No tilt, sorry. It would look much cooler.

The bridge spanning the river.

One of the orc huts. I don't like those lights, I'll fix them.

Well, time to sleep. Goodnight everyone!

Come see the WIP!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 19:47
looking very cool. Love the landscapes .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 22:46 Edited at: 10th Jul 2006 22:48
Quote: "Quote: "Great to here Cash, but, I can understand you being busy, but holy smokes! That landscape looks AMAZING."
Glad you like it Let me know how your model turned out for you."

Let me just say they are amazing, they look incredibly real, and if thats the kind of stuff We can expect in this game, then are we in for a treat! Also Cash I took your advice and remoddled a perfectly symetrical model, now Ill need to re rig, thank god for import bone structure and animations with fragmotion! Keep up the awsome work , and watchout for those typhoons!

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 19:35
Your daily dose of Cash...

The start of my graveyard...

Another shot...

A well, currently in the orc village.

It's crazy seeing the world come together. Now I'm in the graveyard, looking up at the sun through the cross tombstone, hearing waves crash behind me and swamp noises off to the north. I love it. I'm gaining more momentum as I progress.

I'm on a huge modeling kick, too. I guess I need a programming break. Still so much to do, but it's all in the final stages, except for conversations. Damned conversations.

Time for sleep!

Come see the WIP!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 01:08
Wow. Just wow.

Suspention of disbelief is looking awesome. I hope the game world will be as fun to explore as it looks!!

Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 19:44
This is looking inceasingly more professional everytime I see it. I can't believe it's made by a hobbyist. Very, very cool.

IceBound Melodic rock/metal band with loads of lead guitar, clean female vocals, and more guitars! What more could you want?
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 19:48
Quote: "This is looking inceasingly more professional everytime I see it. I can't believe it's made by a hobbyist. Very, very cool."

Word.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 22:45
Hey cash, how did you go about creating the water and seafoam textures? I am playing around with texture maker and I am getting some interesting results, but nothing quite as nice as what you have.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 13:29

Awesome! That gooish swamp is !

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 17:46
So pretty! Why can't I do that? Stupid me being a coder with no 3D skills!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 20:06 Edited at: 14th Jul 2006 20:07
Quote: "Wow. Just wow.
Suspention of disbelief is looking awesome. I hope the game world will be as fun to explore as it looks!!"

I hope it is too. I've been working on my story, and everything is developing nicely. It sounds good so far, hopefully everyone else thinks so too!

Quote: "This is looking inceasingly more professional everytime I see it. I can't believe it's made by a hobbyist. Very, very cool."

Hobbyist? Where?

Quote: "Awesome! That gooish swamp is !"

Glad you like it! I'm about to add some swamp plants too. My three year old daughter doesn't like it very much, though.

Quote: "So pretty! Why can't I do that? Stupid me being a coder with no 3D skills!"

I'm really just learning myself. I guess it just takes a bit of dedicated time is all.

I appreciate the comments, and I'm glad everyone likes what they see! I just finished my graveyard. It took me a while to get it right.

Graveyard Video, 6 MB.

I think I'm going to chill out with the videos for a while. I think I'm publishing too many. I'll try and pack more of a punch when I do give out a new one.

Well, my modeling kick continues. I finally got my DarkAI bug worked out. It was more of a strange chemical reaction with my coding. All fixed now, so whenever I get tired of modeling I'll get back into the coding.

Well, it's late, and I'm out. Enjoy!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 23:17
Nice trees too!

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 23:29
Holy schnit That is great i need this game! 5 's

Platformer Compo!
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 04:21
graveyard looks a bit small spread wise, i mean it wouldn't take you long to walk its distance. Or is that what you were going for? the landscape looks awesome for a top down rpg, you could always add in teh water reflection effects and the 3d grass effects like in halo, but I think the landscape the way you have it is how this kind of game should look. it's comin galong real well dude kutgw

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 05:48 Edited at: 15th Jul 2006 06:37
Quote: "graveyard looks a bit small spread wise"

It's supposed to be. Although, the camera distance makes it look smaller than it really is.

Here are some actual in-game shots of the player inside the graveyard.

Regular view.

Zoomed out.

Quote: "you could always add in teh water reflection effects and the 3d grass effects like in halo"

I've been experimenting with shaders of various sorts. They're really just too slow for this game. I've got system resources divided up very tightly at this point, and the shaders just upset that balance.

However, once the engine is complete, I'm going to include shader support for the water, and a bloom shader. However, I doubt that anyone will be able to run the game like that in the near future. It's still nice to have shaders supported though. I don't think I'll touch the grass though, as my texturing suits this type of game, and I have 3D plants for thicker coverage.

Quote: " it's comin galong real well dude kutgw "

I appreciate it! Glad you like it so far

Quote: "Nice trees too!"

Thanks! I used TreeMajik, but the textures sucked, so I redid them myself. I'm going to finish a few more trees later. The worst thing about those tree textures is that the leaves are too big, blocky, and aren't attached to a limb. Just sloppy. I guess I'm just anal about stuff like that.

Quote: "Holy schnit That is great i need this game! 5 's"

Well, still a bit early for s, but hopefully I'll earn that by the time this is over!

Come see the WIP!
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 06:24
wow that looks amazing!! Im going to start following this project after i read the in between pages i havent read yet.

formerly KrazyJimmy

Prayers for rain...
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 11:12
ahh ok, i just saw like 4 headstones in the yardbut they are huge compared to the guy.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 14:22
Hey, nice work man. This'll probably be the first ever DBP game that I'll actually download and play. Looks well polished and well thought through.

Only one question - have you tried using shadow shading on your characters? My guess is you probably have but it has too much of an FPS dent or other issues. If not, I would definitely recommend it as it's easy to implement and looks great.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 14:43
Hey, glad you like! I've been hoping to lure you in here It's going to be a big download, probably 100 MB. It's actually getting close to done. I've already implemented every CPU draining feature already. Everything that I need to add will have no effect on the overall speed. So, there's no chance of not being able to complete the game because of speed issues. I think that is typically an RPG killer. People try to drop particles in and it kills the game.

Actually, I've avoided shadows so far. However, I am going to implement them. Users will be able to turn them off, of course. Once 6.2 came out and hardware accelerated shadows were sped up significantly it actually became a possibility. Before now they really were just too slow to be part of this game. I've got resources divided up very tightly.

Thanks for the input!

Come see the WIP!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 15:03 Edited at: 16th Jul 2006 15:03
Thanks alot bastard..

Eh, just messin' with you. I know you didn't mean to do it, but it happened.

Anyway, this is looking sh*t-hot. As Fallout said, I don't think I ever wanted to play another DBP game more. This project is really inspiring to work harder on my own juicy creation.

New Catfolio.net coming soon!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 15:50 Edited at: 16th Jul 2006 15:52
Cash, if you'd like some shadow shading tips, I'd be happy to suggest a few things. They might be known tips, but they've worked for me. Take a look at this piccy here. I have a fairly fast graphics card (6600GT) but I was getting 216FPS with that scene.

Edit: Like Megs said, this project is good for my personal motivation too. Will crack on with CI now.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 17:25
Quote: "Eh, just messin' with you. I know you didn't mean to do it, but it happened."

That really is the worst thing ever. I feel bad being associated with that in any way. Which video caused this evil drama to happen?

Quote: "Anyway, this is looking sh*t-hot. As Fallout said, I don't think I ever wanted to play another DBP game more. This project is really inspiring to work harder on my own juicy creation."

Very, very cool. You guys just want me to get it done faster. I've decided to leave a few things out of Geisha House, so that I can get the release out sooner. There won't be any character paperdolls, and a couple other things. However, all other core gameplay functionality will be in. I don't think I'll include save games either. I've geared everything toward making that easier to implement, but it's still a lot of work. I'll think about it, but probably not.

Quote: "Cash, if you'd like some shadow shading tips, I'd be happy to suggest a few things. They might be known tips, but they've worked for me. Take a look at this piccy here. I have a fairly fast graphics card (6600GT) but I was getting 216FPS with that scene."

That's awesome. So, you're shadow shading animated dummy models, right? As fast as your scene is, it would probably only cost me 10 fps in the game, and the user could certainly turn off the shadows. It will probably be one of the last things I do, but it certainly will be included. I've only ever shadow shaded a 2k poly model and got fed up with it. It would be awesome though, along with my night / day cycles.

Time for me to get to work now too. I usually start off a new page with some cool pictures and videos, and I'm slacking right now. It's been a busy (party filled) weekend, so I've been away mostly. Time to drive on!

Come see the WIP!
Shadow Coderer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 20:06
Wow. This is the most complete; most original; most proffesional; sexiest looking; most updated; best supported wip game ive ever seen in dark basic pro. Altough admittedly i havent seen that many. You put so much effort into everything like the wicked spell books and water effects!!!! The animations are amazing and the interface is wickedly original. I look forward to this freeware game above all others!! Keep up the gd work.

"Holy Zombie Jesus"
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 21:53 Edited at: 16th Jul 2006 21:53
Haha, it's no probs on your end. Crap happens, don't worry.

Keep up the coding onslaught, we'll be wating.

New Catfolio.net coming soon!
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 23:20
Top stuff, Im just glad I have broadband now, else I woulst have a chance of donwloading this! Can't wait to get my hands on it. However, I am however curious as to an estimate of how much play time this has? Cheers.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 16:52
Quote: "Wow. This is the most complete; most original; most proffesional; sexiest looking; most updated; best supported wip game ive ever seen in dark basic pro."

Very, very awesome. I aim to please! This is, after all, the framework of my dream game.

Quote: "Keep up the coding onslaught, we'll be wating."

I'm driving on, every day! I'm getting impatient myself.

Quote: "Top stuff, Im just glad I have broadband now, else I woulst have a chance of donwloading this! Can't wait to get my hands on it. However, I am however curious as to an estimate of how much play time this has? Cheers."

I estimate 8 hours of gameplay. That's small, but this project is designed for me to perfect my engine without getting bogged down with too much game all at once. However, everything from this game will be portable to the next installment.

Okay, I'm hoping that I have something impressive to post tonight. I've been busy lately, with class and partying and wife's birthday and our anniversary, but I'm back into it now. I've done quite a bit of work on paper. I've completely worked out the conversation system and game flags. The game flag + conversation system will allow me to build game events chronologically in multiple threads.

I've also got something else that has me a bit exciting - thanks to the 6.2 update, I can now include dynamic cloth like I've always wanted to. Basically, the character will be able to collide with cloth in the world. Like, curtains over doors and hanging beads. And, I've worked it out so that I won't take hardly any hit on the frame rate. I've got the prototype running, but it's not integrated yet, so nothing to show quite yet. In a day or two, I'm hoping. I just have to get the exact scripting process down for it, which I haven't begun yet.

I've also got the framework for something else - the ability to use objects on other objects. I've got this completely worked out. Basically, you'll be able to use objects on other objects for a variety of effects. You can mix potions, make food, poison items, etc. I'm a bit excited about this too. I put this off to get the game interface mechanics worked out, then a modeling kick.

Well, off to work. Hopefully I return with cool things quickly!

Come see the WIP!
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 10:27
The screenshots and comments make me want to download it even more, but, without broadband, it's like being stranded in the middle of the ocean on a single island. Good thing i'm going to get broadband soon then!

This game looks amazing! Keep up the good work!

-db

Did you ever dream of creating a professional 3d game, easily, and fast? Game Developer
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=84124&b=8
Be Ruler of your World...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 03:43:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 03:43:15