Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2008 02:06
Nice, actually i had it of a friend, like the basic shape and i added detail, and i got another friend to uv map it

Dont delete my sig mods, it is 600X120...
Slash!
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2008 10:18
Bergice, that model reminds me of gothic 2

- Elias, Damezean, Nackidno, Wonderboy

AntocGames - http://antocgames.se.nu/
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2008 12:29
Ok Gil, how do you want me to send it?

Slash!
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2008 15:10
Gil, if you need any help with world editing, I can help. I'm quite handy at making outdoor environment. And the drag and drop style of editing makes the thing even better since I have about 2 years experience with world editing in TES CS (Which is almost the same principle the way i got it).

If you are having problems, just ask me. Or let it be, it's up to you.

- Nackidno (having boring, looking for work )

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2008 18:51 Edited at: 24th May 2008 18:52
Quote: "Ok Gil, how do you want me to send it?"

.x or .dbo would be best.

Quote: "Gil, if you need any help with world editing, I can help. I'm quite handy at making outdoor environment. And the drag and drop style of editing makes the thing even better since I have about 2 years experience with world editing in TES CS (Which is almost the same principle the way i got it).

If you are having problems, just ask me. Or let it be, it's up to you.

- Nackidno (having boring, looking for work )"

Ok, great, when I get closer to where I'm actually building stuff for the final world, I'll definitely let you know if I need you .

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2008 18:56
Very much appreciated. Hear you then.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2008 20:01
Quote: ".x or .dbo would be best."

I ment, in what way?
Mail, MSN?

Slash!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 00:35
Quote: "I ment, in what way?
Mail, MSN?"

Ahh, you can email me them at gamedev06@aol.com.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 02:11 Edited at: 25th May 2008 16:22
Thanks

Could you add some credit too?

Slash!
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 02:24
Gil (and the team), great work, how did I miss this, I only heard of this when I started my side project of a recreation of Morrowind (with a few changes, inventory and stuff). Quick question, i've added something similar to my project that you have, which is being able to use a pick axe on rock (got the idea form gothic series) and using world object to perform thing like firing a canon ball out of a canon, though I don't have canon in my project, but the way you can interact with stuff is similar. I don't want to feel like i'm copying you so are you ok with this? Just want to check thats all.

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that fantasy it was never a dream to begin with.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 04:08
I'm not Gil, but I think he'll agree when I say that when you haven't actually copied the whole thing from him, he's okay with it. It's not like those things are unique.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 07:12
Quote: "Gil (and the team), great work, how did I miss this, I only heard of this when I started my side project of a recreation of Morrowind (with a few changes, inventory and stuff). Quick question, i've added something similar to my project that you have, which is being able to use a pick axe on rock (got the idea form gothic series) and using world object to perform thing like firing a canon ball out of a canon, though I don't have canon in my project, but the way you can interact with stuff is similar. I don't want to feel like i'm copying you so are you ok with this? Just want to check thats all."

Thanks . Yeah, no problem, even if you do use some spin-offs of ideas from PoPR or get some inspirations for it, feel free to use it, I did the same thing with PoPR, as Morrowind and Oblivion as two of my main inspirations. So yeah, go ahead, like Rami said, you haven't copied the main idea or whole thing, so it's perfectly fine .

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 13:47
Cheers, I think it's best to ask, you never know these days... anyway good luck with the project, i'll be tracking this one definitely

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that fantasy it was never a dream to begin with.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 25th May 2008 14:08
Looking good. It's been about 3 months since I last looked at this - there's been a lot of excellent progress. I particularly like the video and the re-textured models.

Keep up the inspiring work!
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 18:27
Hey, stop playing too much Sahrani Life man

People are waiting for you on POPR XD

Programming Recorder: 2,5 months of dark basic
5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Come on Gil!

Vist freefungames.co.cc for free online games you can play at school!
Also join our forums!
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 19:41
Take your time, Gil.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 19:52
Quote: "Looking good. It's been about 3 months since I last looked at this - there's been a lot of excellent progress. I particularly like the video and the re-textured models.

Keep up the inspiring work! "

Thanks, and I'll try!

Quote: "Hey, stop playing too much Sahrani Life man

People are waiting for you on POPR XD"

Lol, it's not so much Sahrani Life that has the game moving slow, it's that I'm in the middle of programming a very tedious but, in the end, insignificant part of the game that I have to force my way through, and have had to for the past month. Good news is that I'm almost done with it. In case anyone is wondering what that tedious part is, it's several hundred bug-ridden lines that makes markers in the world editor that aid with visualization of certain events and triggers like "move to" event and the "in area" trigger, so that the person editing can visually see where the events/triggers are taking place instead of just looking at numbers and guessing the approximate area...if that makes sense to anyone.

But I would like to assure everyone again that I will not stop working on this project until I die or finish it, lol .

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2008 22:18
Haha, nice

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 08:43 Edited at: 11th Jun 2008 18:39
Lol, I really don't think I've ever hated programming something as much as I am this. My head is about to explode because everytime I change something, it only causes another bug...which I spend an hour tracking down, only to cause another bug. It's like a network of delicately balanced lines of code that all have to be woven together perfectly, or if you move one wrong, it changes all of them. AND ALL FOR PRACTICALLY NOTHING. Gah, I'm very mad right now, lol.

Alright, I'm just going to rewrite the whole freaking thing and hope it works this time...sorry, I just needed somewhere to vent my frustration .

EDIT: To clarify, I'm NOT rewriting the editor, just the few hundred lines I've worked on the past couple weeks, but it should only take a couple days .

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 10:44
You go gil. Vent that spleen. I don't think I've commented on here before, but I always come here to see how progress is going. Love the work, keep it up.

Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 13:25
Quote: "I'm just going to rewrite the whole freaking thing and hope it works this time...sorry"

The editor?

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 15:12
You serious? If so, how organized is your code? I've been finding having completely organized code has no end of uses, making tracking down bugs very fast (relatively), and easy to toy with.

And I hope you can re-use most of your code one way or another...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2008 18:39
Quote: "Quote: "I'm just going to rewrite the whole freaking thing and hope it works this time...sorry"

The editor?"

LOL, no, just the couple hundred lines of the part I'm working on, the rest of the editor is great .

Quote: "You serious? If so, how organized is your code? I've been finding having completely organized code has no end of uses, making tracking down bugs very fast (relatively), and easy to toy with.

And I hope you can re-use most of your code one way or another..."

Lol, sorry, didn't mean to panic everyone, I'm NOT rewriting the whole editor, just the few hundred lines I've been working on for a few weeks. But it should only take a couple days to rewrite .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2008 14:37
Wow, Gil. Talk about practicality. Write a few hundred lines of code in a few weeks, then redo it in a few days. Why didn't you start with the 'a few days' approach?!

No, seriously now. Hope it works out.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2008 06:22
Lol, well for one it's much easier to rewrite something than to write it the first time, and also, I didn't spend much time on it in the past few weeks .

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2008 07:31
Hey Gil.
I know it's been a while! I hope to catch you on yahoo soon!
BTW, It finally came!!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 05:14
Quote: "Hey Gil.
I know it's been a while! I hope to catch you on yahoo soon!
BTW, It finally came!!
"

Hey, congrats! I need to resend you the file so you can try it out .

Everyone, I have been discouraged from working on PoPR this last week because for some reason Dark Physics suddenly doesn't want to make my terrains objects, so I fall right through them...and I have no idea why. I haven't changed anything with the physics or collision systems. So now I'm going to switch back to sparky's for collision I guess, which will take a few days work. Sorry for the lack of progress!

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 12:25

He gets to try it but not us?

Oh no!

Lets hope it will be finished soon then

Programming Recorder: 3,0 months of dark basic
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 15:01
@Gil - Hey man - before you slay tons of dark physics code - this MIGHT help. DP has this feature where you can load a model, "introduce it to Dark Physics", and then Save the "physics information" to a file - for subsequent faster loading.

I wonder if you could make a tiny stub application that loads the terrain, introduces it to DarkPhysics, and then saves this "physics data" about the level. Then in your game... just load this as the "physics data" versus the "introduce" thing.

Does this make sense? I also wonder - if your object numbers are getting hosed somehow and DP is letting you fall through the ground because maybe it (unknown to you) actually "make static etc" from someother object than the terrain as you have had working before.

DP has some quirks but this hopefully is not a new one and is just some other error making DP look like the culprit.

--Jason

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 06:28
Quote: "He gets to try it but not us?

Oh no!

Lets hope it will be finished soon then "

Haha, he just gets to try the World Editor without the engine because he has been my biggest fan from the beginning AND he bought me FRAPS .

Quote: "@Gil - Hey man - before you slay tons of dark physics code - this MIGHT help. DP has this feature where you can load a model, "introduce it to Dark Physics", and then Save the "physics information" to a file - for subsequent faster loading.

I wonder if you could make a tiny stub application that loads the terrain, introduces it to DarkPhysics, and then saves this "physics data" about the level. Then in your game... just load this as the "physics data" versus the "introduce" thing.

Does this make sense? I also wonder - if your object numbers are getting hosed somehow and DP is letting you fall through the ground because maybe it (unknown to you) actually "make static etc" from someother object than the terrain as you have had working before.

DP has some quirks but this hopefully is not a new one and is just some other error making DP look like the culprit.

--Jason"

Thanks, I will look into that. Ok, this is weird, if I make the terrains a rigid body static box, they work fine (obviously they can't be boxes when there are hills though), but if I make them a mesh, they don't work. What I don't get is that I've changed absolutely nothing to my knowledge that has to do with this in several months. Also, it works perfectly fine if I test the terrain as a mesh in a separate program. So, DP bug or an organic error?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2008 12:52
Quote: "Also, it works perfectly fine if I test the terrain as a mesh in a separate program. So, DP bug or an organic error? "

I'm siding with organic and/or a context anomaly.

This might sound "DUH, that's what I did already" but I'm guessing its relatedto something else you have going on with DP. First off, I too have had reasonable success with the DP + Terrain as static mesh. In fact, in my DarkGDKOOP Lib, I have a demo that does this very technique for a USGS satelite generated terrain - multiple "Memblock" created meshes, with verts adjusted to USGS height data. (Tiled so multiple terrain objects = one ground cover).

This worked fine - but too awhile for the "make static mesh calls" (I never did implement that save/load physics info - my code was a moving target to much at the time but yours seems to have some pieces starting to solidify which is why I mentioned it in last post)

Ok - my long winded suggestion is simply to comment out - or conditionally define (I forget if DBPro lets ya) Any and all Physics aside from that which is necessary to do a basic test of your code - where you can either raycast using DP and get a valid ground hit - or drop one item onto the ground and it reacts to the mesh.

If this works, Then its a matter of iteratively testing as you bring each little "DP" using code back into the mix - and seeing where it chokes. This should enlighten you to what is really going on.. though time consuming - could preserve a lot of code you have written already.

I'm really convinced some new "action" or "line of code" is effecting the values your terrain is relying on - perhaps using the same ID twice some how - or something similiar where the terrain is FINE - then it gets.. well... made "inert" somehow - or something like the controller DP thingy is not honoring it. Note that Dynamic Mesh doesn't work great - you need to use convex for other DP stuff.. basically make a simplified mesh - that is "invisible" but used for the physics environment - and move your "visual" models with the invisible "covex" models movement as DP adjusts it through its course.

Hope this sparks an idea, or something. This is a very cool project - I'm a usually silent fan. But the thought of you ripping a ton of code before a THOROUGH "combing" of your existing (proven to work recently) code... just made me cringe. (I appreciate what is involved with rewrites!)

--Jason

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey! I have the world editor too!

>.>

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 04:25
It's awesome! So easy to use and feels so completed! I'll post a some pictures of what I make, if that's alright with you Gil?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2008 06:58
@jason: Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I'm going to go to Sparky's anyways, because I need it for other things like ships soon .

Quote: "Hey! I have the world editor too!

>.>"

You have more than the editor . It's because you've been with the project from basically the beginning and have been part of it's development since then. (The UI is all thanks to Cian).

Quote: "It's awesome! So easy to use and feels so completed! I'll post a some pictures of what I make, if that's alright with you Gil?"

Of course it is, I'd be glad for you to . Glad to see you are liking it so far, I'm still waiting for it to crash on you though .

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2008 08:37
Quote: "I'm still waiting for it to crash on you though"

lol don't think it will! You've made a really stable editor!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 01:42
Quote: "

Posted: 26th Jun 2008 00:37 toggle
Quote: "I'm still waiting for it to crash on you though"
lol don't think it will! You've made a really stable editor!"

Hehe, thanks. Still waiting for screenshots of your creations .

Ok, good news, I got the terrain working with sparky's. Now I think I'll move on to try to make ships .

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 08:08 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2008 08:12
Ok this is nothing spectacular but this took me only about 10 minutes to do. It shows how powerful Gil's editor really is!

I'm hoping to do some really detailed maps! Also note that I'm getting a steady 66FPS. This is one awesome tool!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 09:08
Nice, looks good . Sorry, I'll try to get you a version with the new buildings in.

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 12:09
Very nice. I'm so happy this game has come this far!

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 15:00
Quote: "Nice, looks good . Sorry, I'll try to get you a version with the new buildings in."

Awesome! Oh and that email will be coming tomorrow.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW! Gil, thanks to you my dribble as wrecked my nice pants thanks.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2008 22:23
This project makes me hate you...
It really is impressive. REALLY impressive.

If someone says plz because it's shorter than please I say no because it's shorter than yes
Quote: "Chuck Norris drank gravy and fertilized his lawn with emo kids so it would cut itself"

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 04:52
Quote: "This project makes me hate you..."

Is it because you wish it was your project? Well you can do the same, just start programming that awesome game that nobodies thought of yet! I found out a while ago that it's not gonna happen over night, and still I haven't made anything.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 11:21
Quote: "Is it because you wish it was your project? Well you can do the same, just start programming that awesome game that nobodies thought of yet! I found out a while ago that it's not gonna happen over night, and still I haven't made anything.
"

Well the issue is, I suck at programming, I've tried to learn but I always fail, 3D Design might just be my better side.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 22:15
Quote: "3D Design might just be my better side"

Maybe try joining a collaboration?
Sorry for off-topic...

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well the issue is, I suck at programming, I've tried to learn but I always fail, 3D Design might just be my better side."

Like me.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 23:17
Quote: "Well the issue is, I suck at programming, I've tried to learn but I always fail, 3D Design might just be my better side."

We all do when we started out! Stick to it - make little stuff first - rather than saying "Ok time for my own Port Royale" try smaller steps for projects... YOU will get it.

Get this... I'm known about here as a halfway decent coder - ok fine - but I want to model - and I can't figure out Blender! I can use Milkshape a little... but not animations... there is a ton I can't do yet - but I haven't given up - I take breaks then try again.... why? I have fun trying.. and I do like sometimes the things I make even if they are lame by "pro" standards. Hey... The key is to have fun.

Those people who try to write code to make a big block buster or MMO - JUST for the money... usually end up miserable.

So hang in there - and you might be working on something as cool looking as this thread - this is one of my regular "watcher" threads - in other words - I get all the emails and I read them all This is a cool project.

--Jason

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2008 23:21 Edited at: 9th Jul 2008 23:22
Quote: "Get this... I'm known about here as a halfway decent coder - ok fine - but I want to model - and I can't figure out Blender! I can use Milkshape a little... but not animations... there is a ton I can't do yet - but I haven't given up - I take breaks then try again.... why? I have fun trying.. and I do like sometimes the things I make even if they are lame by "pro" standards. Hey... The key is to have fun.
"

Meh blender is easy as crap, just watch one or two tutorials and you will get it(at least it worked for me, although I use maya now...)
I know I can learn how to program if I really want to but meh, I'm finally learning how to do some "advanced" 3d work and I'll stick through that as I just love doing it I might battle the programming one day though, but not now

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 23:00
Any update?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:29:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:29:34