Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 00:56
A bit actually, I was on vacation the last 2 weeks which is partly why I haven't posted on here. I have switched collision systems back to sparky's now, and that seems to work well now, and have just fixed a few bugs. I'm going to try to get back to working on quest triggers/events soon.

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 01:08
Good to hear. Sometimes even the best needs vacation!

- Elias, Damezean, Nackidno, Wonderboy

AntocGames - http://antocgames.se.nu/
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 02:08
Glad this isnt dying
Looking forward to it so much

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 02:10 Edited at: 31st Jul 2008 02:10
Quote: "Quote: "Get this... I'm known about here as a halfway decent coder - ok fine - but I want to model - and I can't figure out Blender! I can use Milkshape a little... but not animations... there is a ton I can't do yet - but I haven't given up - I take breaks then try again.... why? I have fun trying.. and I do like sometimes the things I make even if they are lame by "pro" standards. Hey... The key is to have fun.
"
Meh blender is easy as crap, just watch one or two tutorials and you will get it(at least it worked for me, although I use maya now...)
I know I can learn how to program if I really want to but meh, I'm finally learning how to do some "advanced" 3d work and I'll stick through that as I just love doing it I might battle the programming one day though, but not now"

If you can stand the interface that is...nevertheless, if you stick at it, you can learn almost anything you're physically and mentally capable of doing. At least TGC has a strong community for each element of game dev. Game Design, 3d modelling, music, 2d art, programming, you name it!

"Experience never provides its judgments with true or strict universality; but only (through induction) with assumed and comparative universality." - Immanuel Kant
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 02:14 Edited at: 31st Jul 2008 02:18
It looks like your editor is pretty powerful, nice job! I haven't really followed this project to 100%, but I really admire your work.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 03:18
Quote: "Glad this isnt dying
Looking forward to it so much "

Hehe, fear not, even if I don't work on the game for a month or two, I will pick it back up and finish it eventually. Like I've said, I'll NEVER quit, unless I die . I'm shooting for this year, but we'll see...

Quote: "It looks like your editor is pretty powerful, nice job! I haven't really followed this project to 100%, but I really admire your work. "

Thanks .

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2008 18:03
Nice, if you leave i will bump it

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 04:13
I've been working quite a bit on PoPR the last week, mostly on ships and the normal bug fixes. I hope, but don't promise, to have a video by the end of this week showing stuff with ships/sailing.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 08:51
Cool Gil! I hate when this thread goes onto page 2! Sounds like everything is progressing nicely! Hope your not having any more trouble with sparkys was it?

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 20:00
when i see these screenies so does it scare me when thinking of the amount of code to go thru
great work gil.
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 03:47
Quote: "when i see these screenies so does it scare me when thinking of the amount of code to go thru"
Just between you and me Gil's on 130000 for the world editor and 500000 for the actual game. But don't spread that. Ok?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 03:50
Quote: "Cool Gil! I hate when this thread goes onto page 2! Sounds like everything is progressing nicely! Hope your not having any more trouble with sparkys was it?"

Ehh, been having a few troubles with it, but I'm just disregarding them for now, they're not game-ruining, just annoying.

Quote: "when i see these screenies so does it scare me when thinking of the amount of code to go thru
great work gil. "

Lol, Darth Vader was off by just a bit. The world editor is about 9000 and the engine is about 11600.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2008 05:58
I was off by just a smidgin!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 00:49
Ok, I don't have any AI working the ships while moving yet or ships fighting or cool effects like waves or damage, etc. So, I can give you a video today showing you basic sailing mechanics that won't be anything amazing, or I can give you a video at a later unknown date (since I'll be moving into my college dorm next week) when I DO have all those things. So, will it be a crappy video now or a good video later?

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 00:51
how about both
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 00:57
I'd say you give us a video later when you do have it all done which will amaze us, and for now just post screenshots and alike.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 04:17
I say that áfter you complete your Untitled work, I will use my extreme talent to help you finish PoPR in the next 3 days.

If I feel like it. Maybe.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2008 21:42
Quote: "how about both "

I could do both, but that may take away from the second video.

Quote: "I'd say you give us a video later when you do have it all done which will amaze us, and for now just post screenshots and alike."

The problem is that screenshots cannot really capture sailing mechanics.

Quote: "I will use my extreme talent to help you finish PoPR in the next 3 days."

Rami+extreme talent=impossible .

So, it's 1 to 1, I'll let people give their vote till this evening, and if they say they want one now and later, I'll make one tonight.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 01:05
Quote: "and if they say they want one now and later, I'll make one tonight."

I'll vote for that.

All clear what you're all voting for?
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 01:42
Quote: "Rami+extreme talent=impossible ."

You are right. I should not make such understatements again.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 07:53
Quote: "You are right. I should not make such understatements again."

You seem to have mixed up the words understatement and overstatement again .

Ok, I'll give it till tomorrow evening and I'll make a vid then if people want, so I'll hopefully have more input.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 09:49 Edited at: 17th Aug 2008 09:50
I keep doing that. Saying that you're right is a massive understatement, of course.

Oh, darn, did it again.

12 more days until I'm off the awesome speed here in Egypt and will be able to watch Youtubes within 40 minutes. Awesome speeds would be a bit of an understatement, though.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2008 17:57
I vote Vid's of kids NOW.

Quote: "12 more days until I'm off the awesome speed here in Egypt and will be able to watch Youtubes within 40 minutes. Awesome speeds would be a bit of an understatement, though."

That is a new epicness of awesome I could not even conceive until now.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 01:43
Quote: "The problem is that screenshots cannot really capture sailing mechanics."
Well, if sailing mechanics are to be shown, I'm voting for the vid.

And if it turns out there aren't any sailing mechanics then, heck, I'll still vote for the vid. After all, why not?

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 01:48
I want a video too. The latest video was some time ago..

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah... I want to see a vid too...

Oh wait...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 08:37 Edited at: 18th Aug 2008 19:50
Ok, you asked for it...

Sorry, compressing doesn't do much with .wav files, so it's quite big.
High Quality
YouTube

Everything is filmed at 30FPS, and the game runs at 60FPS, so everything moves in half the speed it really does in the game. Unfortunately if I just double speed the video a) it ruins the music, and b) I still turn the camera at the same speed, so it makes that look really fast. Maybe next time I'll try doing music separate and slower camera turning then just double the speed.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 11:47 Edited at: 18th Aug 2008 11:56
Downloading it now, i cant wait

--------------

Awesome!
Looks really cool steering the ship and all.
But if you hit the shore, what happens?
And i am not sure but it looked like the ship was a little slow.

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 12:01
It's great Gil!

I wonder that as well, what happens if you hit the shore...?

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 12:08
looking great Gill!
will you be adding a recoil to the cannons? because otherwise those cannonballs must be made of polystyrene!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 17:11
Looks very nice so far! Just occurred to me, can you run? Also, not that important, but you might want to re texture the anchor rope and steering wheel thing (I forgot the name ). Also, will you be able to hire a crew to do most of this as well? Or perhaps join a crew?

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 17:48
Gil, if this is your idea of a 'crap' video then all I can say is HOLY CRAP!

excellent work!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 19:38 Edited at: 18th Aug 2008 19:50
Quote: "But if you hit the shore, what happens?
And i am not sure but it looked like the ship was a little slow."

Hehe, nothing happens at the moment, so that's one of the things that I'd need to change. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the video is filmed at 30FPS but the game runs at 60FPS so basically everything (camera speed, rocking speed, ship speed, cannonball speed etc.) is twice as fast in the game .

Quote: "It's great Gil!"

Thanks .

Quote: "looking great Gill!
will you be adding a recoil to the cannons? because otherwise those cannonballs must be made of polystyrene! "

Lol, yeah, recoil should be pretty easy to add .

Quote: "Looks very nice so far! Just occurred to me, can you run? Also, not that important, but you might want to re texture the anchor rope and steering wheel thing"

Yes, you can run, but at the moment my run speed is set to like 4x my walk speed so that I can get places really fast when testing things, hehe. Also, like I said, you really move twice as fast as in that video. And yeah, I'll definitely be retexturing those, just temporary for now.

Quote: "Also, will you be able to hire a crew to do most of this as well? Or perhaps join a crew?"

Yup, definitely . That's one of the features I plan on working on next. Right now NPC's can walk on ships, but that's about it.

Quote: "Gil, if this is your idea of a 'crap' video then all I can say is HOLY CRAP!

excellent work! "

Thanks .

Here is the youtube version:
YouTube

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 20:27 Edited at: 18th Aug 2008 20:35
I come here expecting something crap, but then the people make me think it's epic and then that's all? Pfft.

(PS, I might be slightly angered at you for again letting my jaw fall to the ground only to disappear under the closet and not being able to reattach for ten minutes due to it dropping again immediately. I used duct tape in the end.)

Hiring a crew would be fun. I'd imagine you'd have one NPC standing next to you that would issue your orders to the crew, thus being sort of a command interface. Would be fun to see the run around during naval combat, or walking up the ropes to the thing at the top of the sail.

To be able to give any critique, I think that either "Leave out all the Rest" or the final part of "Hands Held High" would've been more appropriate music for this video .

"Weeeeeeeee!!!"

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2008 23:13
The ship looks really great. I like the manual firing of the cannons...

I haven't seen all your videos but the beach with the surf looks like it's either Z-fighting or really fast ? It just looked like it was flipping out in the beginning of the video.

But everything looks good, especially going up to the crow's nest.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 02:20
Wow, this is far more interesting than I thought basic sailing mechanics would be. I had some stupid third-person ship-driving idea in my head, with "WASD to move, Space to drop anchor" interface. Sort of GTA style And instead I get this astounding display: both involved, yet simple. The fact that there are several things to consider while sailing (sail length, helm, pitch, cannons, anchor) makes it involving, but the fact you have to manually run around makes it look really rewarding!

I have one question, though: is there a simple way to know when the helm is straight? Since there's a bit of a time-lag on the ship's turning (as there should be), I can visualise myself veering eeeever so slightly to one side without realising it, and ending up on the same island I started at, hehe.

Jane Doe
Years of Service
User Offline
Gil,

The Z-fighting between the land and water that your video shows is frequently caused by too high a ratio between the near camera range and the far camera range. You may want to try increasing the near camera range and/or decreasing the far camera range and see if that helps. I think (I'm not sure off hand) that I like 1:25000.

Your video looks nice. Good luck.

- Jane
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 12:27
Thought I'd drop by and watch the progress, fo sho.

Wow, so much has been done since I left! I really like the sailing dynamics! But to me it seems like it sways in a pre determined pattern, like rotate upwards until it reaches angle +5 then down until angle -5. Could be my eye though, I know it's hard to write something dynamic. I couldn't do it very well either in "the taffer".

But as long as it gives the impression of a boat sailing (which it does an awesome job at) it's all good.

And it really is "all good" if not better!
Couldn't have done it better myself (But then again, who couldn't program better than me ).

If it looks this awesome now, and you call it crappy, I can't wait to see what the finished thing will look like!

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2008 18:29
Quote: "Gil,

The Z-fighting between the land and water that your video shows is frequently caused by too high a ratio between the near camera range and the far camera range. You may want to try increasing the near camera range and/or decreasing the far camera range and see if that helps. I think (I'm not sure off hand) that I like 1:25000.

Your video looks nice. Good luck.

- Jane "

Ok, thanks, I'll have to try that .

Quote: "Thought I'd drop by and watch the progress, fo sho.

Wow, so much has been done since I left! I really like the sailing dynamics! But to me it seems like it sways in a pre determined pattern, like rotate upwards until it reaches angle +5 then down until angle -5. Could be my eye though, I know it's hard to write something dynamic. I couldn't do it very well either in "the taffer".

But as long as it gives the impression of a boat sailing (which it does an awesome job at) it's all good.

And it really is "all good" if not better!
Couldn't have done it better myself (But then again, who couldn't program better than me ).

If it looks this awesome now, and you call it crappy, I can't wait to see what the finished thing will look like!
"

Thanks, glad you are likiing it . Yeah, you are right, they are on set intervals, but I will definitely change that, good idea.

Ok, good news and bad news, unfortunately for you you won't care about the good news, haha. Bad news is I haven't got anything done on PoPR but the good news is college is awesome and I love it and that's WHY I haven't got anything done on PoPR yet .

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2008 18:37
Quote: "Ok, good news and bad news, unfortunately for you you won't care about the good news, haha. Bad news is I haven't got anything done on PoPR but the good news is college is awesome and I love it and that's WHY I haven't got anything done on PoPR yet .
"

Hey I care! ... Okay maybe not

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2008 21:26
Man it's been awhile since I've been hear, good to see it moving along, well before you went to college that is. I can't wait to go to college again, I actually learn stuff unlike school.

Can't wait to see how the project turns out, will be watching Gil

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that fantasy it was never a dream to begin with.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 01:59
As the moral unsupport of Gil, I am disappointed he now has collage to unsupport him from continuing .

Get back to work, you!

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 06:28
Hey I checked out some of the vids, This looks mint!

Anyways good luck with college. What are you majoring in?
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 06:30
Quote: "Anyways good luck with college. What are you majoring in? "

Thanks, Computer Science with a focus in gaming.

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 06:39
Nice, I'm a sophomore in high school now but I've been thinking on my education, I looked around and most game dev jobs require computer science or equivilant, I've thought about software engineering as well.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Gil if you need anymore help with programming give me a shout id be willing to assist in anyway possible. I have good experience with a wide range of game programming.

The admiral
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 08:51
Quote: "Nice, I'm a sophomore in high school now but I've been thinking on my education, I looked around and most game dev jobs require computer science or equivilant, I've thought about software engineering as well. "

Cool, yeah software engineering or comp sci are both good for getting into the game industry.

Quote: "Gil if you need anymore help with programming give me a shout id be willing to assist in anyway possible. I have good experience with a wide range of game programming.
"

Thanks, I definitely will . I don't really need any right now simply because of my lack of organization with it all at the moment, but if I need help in the future, I'll let you know, thanks for the offer .

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 19:38
Very impressive Gil!! Glad to see you have come so far.

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2008 17:24
I think i am still waiting for this game

http://bergice.blogspot.com/ << Please enter my blog and click ads
Demos,Examples,Tutorials,Portfolio
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 03:22
Looking great!
I love the ship rocking in that one video.
(800th post...)

Favorite Quote: Dramatized code? Code Drama!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 04:37:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 04:37:50