Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Phoenix Game Protection (v1 Trial)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 18:21 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 18:18
Main Menu

Encypted Files (No Zips!)

Update:22 July 07

Phoenix Game Protection™ - By Phoenix Sentry
Our Motto: Keeping honest people honest!™

Phoenix Game Protection™ Systems (PGPS) is the most advanced static/real-time protection system for your game available today. Phoenix's static game protection is simple: Your entire game folder with your custom media is first zipped with a 36 character (alpha-symbol-numeric) passcode. It is then locked with 1024bit encryption with 3 different types of encryption in layers. All "salted and hashed".

When your game is running, Phoenix protects your game files by extracting them using our FolderHop™ technology. Your files are never extracted to the same folder twice. In-Game, your customer/player has access to Task Manager, most ALL third-party commercial applications to include Windows Messenger, AIM, etc. The only limitation on your customer is that they do not try to browse file folders during game play.

Phoenix also has sentry applications running in the background that protects all Phoenix applications from being "killed" without cleaning up the system first. The protection methods are designed to be very lenient on computer usage while being tremendously strict against attempts to gain access to your media.

In addition to our static/real-time protection methods, you're additionally protected against piracy with our optional Online Registration system. (Pro Editions and up)

I think once you see how easy and powerful the online registration system is, you'll realize that it is unique in our indy world, easy to use and pretty much crazy NOT to use it. The online registration system is so good, we use it ourselves for Phoenix registrations. The whole process is automatic. You generate keys for your game and copy/paste them into your database on our secure web application. You then sell your game and give out one of the keys. When your customer registers with the key, it is automatically flagged by the online software and cannot be used again. There is absolutely no interaction between the game buyer and the developer. A new feature to be implemented is Notifications. When your game buyer registers the game, you will get an email notification and optionally, they may get an email of thanks, tips/tricks, or whatever you want to make your indy game more professional.

The developer can go into their online account and un-register keys, retire them from service, mark them as abused or remove them from the database. If someone gets hold of a good key that has been flagged as one of the above, the game registration system acts accordingly with corresponding info messages. Keys flagged for abuse automatically cause the game to exit, while keys flagged as "This key has already been registered" simply prompt the user to try again.

No computer software protection is 100% bulletproof, it is impossible unless you have physical access to each computer. Phoenix Game Protection is as close to perfect as you'll ever get.

Video Tutorials:

3mb Video Tutorial: Install/Register PGPS

1mb Video Tutorial: Registration Keys Demo

3mb Video Tutorial: Game Setup

4mb Video Tutorial: Setting up Multimedia

4mb Video Tutorial: Using the Installer

13MB Video Tutorial: Create/Import Registration Keys

Phoenix Game Protection™ Systems, aka PGPS, Phoenix Sentry™, Phoenix Guardian™, FolderHop™ all Trademarks of Phoenix Sentry™, David N. Goodman and James Neeley.

Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2007 18:29 Edited at: 6th May 2007 18:33
Looks good, I May be a customer!

If I can get my hand on a credit card...

EDIT: Whats the price?

If only you were me... Then You'd understand.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Duplex. Email sent.

The price is still not determined. I will have a final answer within a few days based on user input. Please evaluate the system and email me with what you think a fair price would be. All suggestions will be considered, but I want to keep the price in line with other TGC software offerings.

Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2007 19:18
£0.99, only jokin thats no where near worth it, Are you pricing it in USD GBP Euros?

If pounds, I'd say about £20.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@Duplex: LOL, I knew someone would suggest $1 or £0.99 in your case.

£20 sounds about right. I think that's around $25USD. Thanks for the input.

Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2007 21:29
Just wondering, did you code this in DBP??

ANovella
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 22:22
No he didn't Duplex.

[img]
http://a404.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/3/l_cdc912b216799df63bac3faa0e5086c3.png
width=500 length=120 [/img]
Fungames
Years of Service
User Offline
$25 and 20 pounds is worth protecting media!You got a customer coming in.

The Urban Pack(Free),Get it now!
-18 Segments
-11 Entities(Urban,Resturant,Office,Store)
someonerules
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 22:54
I may buy it as well. Let me go scrape up some cash.

If you "stop and smell the roses" sooner or later you'll inhale a bee
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 23:54
Awesome DarkFact. I just ran my game through it and it worked like a dream. Gonna' upload it soon.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Awesome DarkFact. I just ran my game through it and it worked like a dream. Gonna' upload it soon."

Cool man.

Just so everyone knows, Inspire is already a registered user. His upload is, of course, authorized.

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 03:50
This is an Awesome program and very simple to use. I feel like my media is so much safer now. Down with the pirates.

Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
i have a question about the license,

if you use the trial version on your game, you can NOT give your game to anyone, even if it is to test the game?
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "if you use the trial version on your game, you can NOT give your game to anyone, even if it is to test the game?"

You cannot use the Trial Version to distribute your game even if it is free. You can give it to a team member for testing as long as the transfer is direct and not via a public posting or upload.

Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
alright =), do you have a price range set for it yet?
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "do you have a price range set for it yet?"

I'm leaning toward a scenario like this:

Standard Version $25USD
Plus Version $35USD

The Plus version will allow you to require end-users to validate their copy via an online server. The standard version will have Offline or None as end-user validation in the next release (v1.1)

Here's a screenshot of PGP Plus v1.1 (WIP)

Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
nice =)
ANovella
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 06:26 Edited at: 7th May 2007 06:32
Nice dave.
EDIT: Sent you an email.

[img]
http://a404.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/3/l_cdc912b216799df63bac3faa0e5086c3.png
width=500 length=120 [/img]
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys,

Anthony, gmail is not working at the moment.

Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2007 09:50
This Works like a well oiled F1 car!

Its Fast - Like an F1 Car.
It's Simple But powerful - Like an F1 car.
Hasnt got good cornering though - Unlike an F1 car.
Very decent price - unlike an F1 car.
A lot of work gone into it - Like an F1 Car.

I have no use for it at the moment but as soon as I finish my project, I'll Defiently be a Customer!

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@Duplex:

I love your wit. LOL

Thanks for trying Phoenix.

Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2007 17:45
Thanks, lol

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 22:20
My comment on the program:

"This is a truly a awsome piece of software. It's fast,It's powerful,and it's easy to use. The protection strength is brilliant and stable. Never worry about your media being ripped again!!. Buy it NOW!!"

Demon Sun.Coming 2007. Mature gamers Only!!

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Very well done,yet another excellent piece of creativity,where do all you geniuses come from?

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
If I buy Phoenix will I have to get a newer or updated version of Phoenix for future versions of FPSC?

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. FPSC is Getting better. Now if we can just keep the ball rolling.
MartinS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 17:24
Looks awesome!Email sent.

Quote: "If I buy Phoenix will I have to get a newer or updated version of Phoenix for future versions of FPSC?"

G2L

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@Rolfy: Thanks for taking a look at my program.

@incense: People who buy into a particular version level will get free updates for the length of the version. If FPSC updates make changes necessary in Phoenix, then Phoenix owners will get a free patch no matter what version they bought into. So people who get v1, get free updates until v2, but patches are always free.

@G2L: it's on it's way....

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 03:01 Edited at: 9th May 2007 04:15
DarkFact said:
Quote: "People who buy into a particular version level will get free updates for the length of the version"

Cool!!

DarkFact, I went to your site and requested the trial version. Cant wait to see if it does all that I need. Seems like it does but wont know till I try it.

BTW, nice video!!

Edit:
Here is what happened when I used the Pheonix Game Protection Beta.

The game started and ran fine. Save and load features work perfect. When exiting the game it gives an error that says that there was a possible protection violation and that I should not try to access the game files. I didnt try to access the game files I just exited the game and the error popped up. Also, the instant that the second level finished loading it just shut down the game. No errors or anything. I ran the game in the folder that FPCS made when I built it. The second level loaded and ran just fine. The issue has to be with the Pheonix program though I couldnt begin to imagine what. At this point there is only the 2 bugs. The access violation and the crash when going into the second level.

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. FPSC is Getting better. Now if we can just keep the ball rolling.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 06:44 Edited at: 9th May 2007 07:31
@Incense: Thanks for the bug report. I can't imagine why those errors happened either. Especially getting a violation error on exit. I'll investigate the code. I do know that if FPSC generates an internal error, the window that it pops up will fire a violation event. That's a simple oversight on my part and will be corrected.

Edit: I just made a 3 level game and processed it with Phoenix. I didn't get any errors when changing levels or exiting. The protection code in Phoenix is VERY strict when it comes to windows popping up during game play. I am going to re-examine the code and try to make it a bit more friendly without compromising security. I'll upload a patch when it's done.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 12:49 Edited at: 9th May 2007 12:51
I played my game through Phoenix again and this time the second level loaded and played normally. The first time I had Winamp going because I like to listen to my music when I play. This last time I did not have Winamp running. Thoes that want to listen to their own music during play will find that a bit of an inconvenience.

I did however get the same protection violation on exiting the game even though I ran the game from shortcut on my desktop and had no open folders or windows of any kind:
"Please do not attempt to open folders during game play".

There are certain things that I dont understand. Phoenix won't run with just notepad running. In fact it doesn't run with almost any program running. Why is that? Is there a resource issue concerning Phoenix and other programs?

Other than that it does just what I need. When the bugs are gone and it is for sale I will be more than happy to get a copy of Phoenix. It is well worth $25.00 USD.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@Incense:

I wrote parts of this code a year ago for another security program for my workplace. It had to be very secure and notepad, wordpad, calc, etc. can allow you access to a windows folder if you know how. I am going to re-write parts of the protection event to be more friendly and allowing certain programs to run won't be an issue.

Thanks again,

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Super Duper, Dude!!

Can't wait for the retail version to be ready.

Yeeeehaaaaaa!!!

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 18:38 Edited at: 9th May 2007 19:18
The good news is that now you can use PGP for any game system, not just FPSC. Also, Since I doubt I'll sell a billion of these things, I'm going to compile each phoenix_game.exe for each buyer with their details and icon. So, after it's renamed to yourgame.exe, the file info will reflect your game, your name, your company, etc.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 19:19 Edited at: 9th May 2007 19:22
The v1.0.1.0 patch is in the first post.

The system is just as powerful as in the previous version, but this one is more compatible with multiple end-user configurations.

Please report bugs or holes you may find to me via email.

Thanks!

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 05:11 Edited at: 10th May 2007 05:12
I did not get an error about opening any folders this time when I exited the game. I ran winamp and it didnt seem to bother anything.

You do good work DarkFact.

Thanks for the effort to help us keep our stuff out of the hands of thoes dasterdly prirates.

What kind of time frame are you looking at for the retail version?

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@Incense: Thanks for the compliment.

I'm sure people are wondering what's the big deal on setting a price and a release date, so I'll explain it now:

I don't want to sell anything that's not right the first time. Sure there'll be updates and patches along the way, but a good first impression is vital. As for the price, I'm not in this to make money, but extra money is always nice. So the bottom line price will be set based on the recommendations of you guys.

The patch I released is not a "fix" but rather an option. It's more compatible and a little less secure to opening windows. I'm still going to maintain the original code (modified to allow FPSC error windows to pop up) with the maximum protection.

I'm also working on another technique that will not extract the game zip to drive at all, but that method is tricky to implement.

To make a short story long, the release date will be soon, but I don't know exactly when.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 05:45 Edited at: 10th May 2007 06:22
Alternate Patch - phoenix_game.exe v1.0.2.0

This patch is an alternative to patch 1.0.1.0

It has all the original protection levels, but it allows FPSC game error messages to pop up without causing a protection violation.

Which one you choose to use is up to you, but this one is recommended for maximum security.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 07:16
Will this plop on to my registered version OK? I figured, as I doubt it has a lisence file in there, but just checking

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@Airslide:

Yeah, just overwrite the existing file in the [resbank] folder in the root folder of Phoenix and you're done. You can also make a copy of this file, rename it to your game exe name and distribute it as a patch for existing games.

DieRider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 13:21
Darkfact, when i go to install the patch, i get to the beginning splash screen then it says "Missing licence key. Please reinstall your game files or contact your game vendor". Keeping in mind i have the v1 you emailed me a little while ago.

Also with online validation, if, e.g. a copy of my game has been validated online, but this person hands it to a friend to install, will it not allow the other person to play because the copy has already been validated previously or something?

The sad fact is that i can read script, but i just cant write it.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@DieRider: That's not an installer, it's just the file. Copy the file in the zip into the \Phoenix Game Protection\resbank\ folder. It will over-write the existing file.

Quote: "Also with online validation, if, e.g. a copy of my game has been validated online, but this person hands it to a friend to install, will it not allow the other person to play because the copy has already been validated previously or something?
"

Yes that's how it works. I've done this before, but I need to work on the server side now.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 14:19 Edited at: 12th May 2007 02:13
@DarkFact

Will the person that is installing the game be able to opt out of the server validation or to unregister the game later? This could be usefull if someone is given a used copy of my game because the original buyer got bored with it over time or something.

Will the online validation allow for a reinstall of my games by the original buyer due to a reinstall of there OS?

Will there be a static install key for each game that the buyer of the game can use? What if someone buys and installs my game and wants to install it on more than one PC in their home? will they be able to do that? If security is to tight it can hurt game sales due people thinking that I am trying to lock every thing down just to get more of their hard earned money. Many people are switching to Linux because Microsoft does that now.

I just dont want to be seen as a money hungry grub.

I think that Phoenix is great and I will be buying it. if it doesnt have the above mentioned downsides. Security is important but it can also get in the way, therefore options for the maker of the games and the game buyer are good.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 23:31
There is always a down side to Security, you have just have to get use to it.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
No

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 02:10 Edited at: 12th May 2007 02:14
@Candle_

My questions were for DarkFact about his product.

After 43 years of life, if I havent gotten used to a few things, Any instructions from you would be pretty mute. Please refrain form telling me what I have to do and let DarkFact speak for himself.

Thanks have a great day.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. It was an accident.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
@incense:

Will the person that is installing the game be able to opt out of the server validation or to unregister the game later?

If you choose for your customers to validate online, then they have to do it that way. Otherwise, don't choose that option. No one will be able to "unregister", but you can always re-issue a new key if you believe they have a valid reason to re-install. It's up to your judgement.

Will the online validation allow for a reinstall of my games by the original buyer due to a reinstall of there OS?

Yes, after you re-issue them a key.

Will there be a static install key for each game that the buyer of the game can use? What if someone buys and installs my game and wants to install it on more than one PC in their home?

Yes, if you choose that option. If they want to install on more than one PC, that's possible but remember that they can just give a copy to their buddies.

The bottom line is this: With online validation, you're protected the most. It's a hassle to the buyer, but that's not our fault, it's the fault of pirates who have made this type of validation necessary.

With offline validation, you're protected, but only if the buyer is honest enough to not share his copy with others.

As far as you being a "money grub", the way I see it is that you've busted your rump for many months to make a great game that you'll be lucky to get a few dollars for. Get every dollar you can. You deserve it.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
@DarkFact

There is reason in what you say. As long as the options are there but are not a prerequisite Im happy.

Cant wait for my copy.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Updated Today: v1.0.4.0

The link for the installer for this version is in the first post of this thread along with changes. For new users, the only thing you must do before using Phoenix is rename your game executable to: engine.exe

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 02:24
What makes you think I was talking to you..
no one i would waste my time on.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Update: 14 May 05

Phoenix v1.1 is "ready", but I have to finish testing before I send it to my beta guys.

Option: Online Validation (Single Check)
Option: Offline Validation (Single Check)
Option: No Validation

Violation Log Output
Online keys options: Unique/Shared
Online keys options: Persistant/Retired

Registration Save Type: Encrypted Key (by game name)
Registration Data Type: Encrypted Key (by unique hardware)

Anti-Piracy: Online (Secure [with Unique Option and Retirement])
Anti-Piracy: Offline (Encrypted Key by name/hardware) This is reversable.

Current Beta Testers will get a free version. Note: Your current license file will have to be replaced.

Keep a lookout here for more info....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 19:23:50
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 19:23:50