Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / SoulHunter

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 15:53
Just amazing! You deserve to win some kind of indie dev competition with this game.

By far some of the best footage I've seen on these forums. Well done, I'm teased...

[want it... want it NOW]

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 16:40
@ zzz

I have an idea for you to make your enemies (and Soulhunter) to look much more alive. You still have that code that morphs one object into another, right? Maybe it might be possible to rotate the heads of your models to point to a focal point ("lock points", as I call them).

Basically you place these lock points all over the level, and define a range for each of them. If a model is within the range, their head will rotate and point towards it (using smoothing functions like curveangle()). Of course you also have to set priorities for each of the points, just in case some intersect with others. And to make it much cooler, when a model is in attacking mode, make them look at the player, and the player look at them

I recall "Conker's Bad Fur Day" used this technique a lot. You would find your player suddenly staring up at a lamp post, or looking at a bird fly by as you run along. Rareware always pushed the outer limits... That's what made them so damn awesome

TheComet

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 16:57 Edited at: 4th Feb 2011 16:59
Jarl, this game is for sure the best game i ever seen made in DB or DBPRO, i would like to be in the same place you actually live, knock to your door and ask to let me watch when you're working at soulhunter, in silence.

and...
Quote: "You still have that code that morphs one object into another, right?"

where i can find this code?????????

[img][/img]
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 17:48 Edited at: 25th Oct 2011 14:35
WOW, I just watched your video trailer. Impressive.
Were did you get the music score? It matches soul hunter perfectly.

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2011 13:55 Edited at: 5th Feb 2011 13:56
Quote: "Maybe it might be possible to rotate the heads of your models to point to a focal point"

I've thought of making something similar as well, I just never got the time to implement it. But it's really cool when games use this effect, especially if they move the eyes as well.

Quote: "Were did you get the music score?"

The music is "In the hall of the Mountain King" by late Edvard Grieg. I got it from the community audio page on internet archive (archive.com). But as I said, YouTube told me that there actually were some copyright issues, luckily YouTube solves these things automatically nowadays(Copyright owners can define certain rules of use). But you probably shouldn't use it in a game.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 05:20
Another video? Already?
You bet!

Today, me and a friend of mine tried out the multiplayer mode in SoulHunter over LAN. It might be hard to tell from the video, but we actually had quite fun!

cmando
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like a crud ton of fun! Nice job...
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 13:10
Really nice!

Is it me, or is the one that lags actually slower than the one that doesn't lag?

TheComet

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 13:27
@TheComet:
Yeah, I was playing on my crummy laptop, and it can't handle fraps. I have a limit in-game when the dt won't go higher, to avoid freezing, etc. I guess I could remove that limit for multiplayer if it causes too much trouble.

AJ Schaeffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2011 20:28
This is truly amazing. The nest DarkBasic game ever made!

Making someone's day a little better because of one of my models means a lot to me.
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 00:18

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:11:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:11:42