Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG - Geisha House. Image intensive!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 03:05
@Agent Dink,
Am using your beatifull textures on my game, see my WIP if you wana see a video of the game showing your textures.
@+

Forgotten Memories W.I.P
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome TATO I will

Free music, textures, models, and tutorials.
Silver Dawn
eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Pure evil.......
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 04:58
That was sick, i almost cried cash. That was amazing, now i want your game even more. Supply and demand!!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 05:00
I was wondering, out of curiosity, how did you get the two publishers to look at your game? Did they come to you or did you go to them? If you went to them, what did you have to do? If they came to you, how did they find out about GH?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 07:19 Edited at: 28th Jun 2007 13:26
@eek -
Quote: "On a side note, not sure if you know but your forum is terribly overrun by spam bots."

Yeah, I'm going to nuke the whole thing. I'll fix it by requiring registration and getting rid of the General forum. I'll replace it with something else. There's no real need until Beta, but it does look pretty bad in its current form

@Alquerian -
No no no! I'm saving that one, she'll be reincarnated in the next installment. Think of it, a forum mod with a bouncing boob avatar. It's poetic justice!

@bass guy1669 -
I'm charging $120

@Chris Ritchie -
Quote: "I'm pretty sure Ive said it before but I'm well in awe of the amount of work you have produced in this project. This project keeps me inspired for my own work. It's nice to have something to aim for."

Thank you I'm glad if you guys can take a little inspiration from this project. I've gotten plenty of inspiration from you guys as well. That's how a community like this should be

@tha_rami -
Quote: "In terms of quality, it definitely seems to be getting closer to the last range of SW3D games"

Quote: "it's definitely cool to see a game with similar potential as for example, Arvoch Conflict."

Thanks! Only time will tell. I am very fortunate though. DBP has come a long way and there are many more resources available now then when that game was made with DBC. That's a real pioneer.

@Lucifer -
Quote: "hey cash, i love the new updates, everything is looking so good."

Awesome, I'm glad you think so. I definitely aim to please.

Quote: "and when will you upload a new video !!?? you know "we need da vidz""

Soon, always soon!!

@Alfa x -
Quote: "1) what is AA?."

Anti-aliasing, like Nex said. It smooths the jagged edges around object on the screen without blurring.

Quote: "2) Are you going to include more characters, like diferent skeletons?."

Absolutely, I just haven't had a chance to yet.

Quote: "3) Is there some point in the game when you do alliances with other characters?."

It depends on what you mean. You'll work closely with other characters during different parts of the game. Some will be able to fight with you as well.

Quote: "4) What is "lol"?"

Laughing Out Loud.

Quote: "5) Are you going to show us videos of the diferent levels of the game?"

I'm going to limit what I show of the actual game. I will show short clips and pictures of different areas, but I don't want to give everything away, and I want some things to be complete surprises.

Quote: "You must be joking."

Yeah

@NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret -
Quote: "I dunno, smiley, correct grammar, and the classic Cash tone. It's quite possibly him."

You know me all too well

@Code Dragon -
Quote: "Cash, are you all right?"

No

@Green7 -
Yes! Send me booze and hookers! That will help

On a more serious note, are you interested in doing any more artwork for Geisha House? Your cover for GH is so completely fantastic I don't know what I ever did without it. I'd love a couple more screens that I could use as loading screens and advertising art. They can be computerized like the first one or hand drawn, totally up to you.

@TATO 4 EVER -
Quote: "Cash, dont stop the greatness!"

No way

Quote: "By the way, i have a question 4 you, are you using some kind of culling system? Or just the culling system thats comes with DBP?"

I'm using Lost in Thought's limb culling system. I converted it into a DBP plugin and it's very fast now, very close in speed to the Advanced Terrain culling but much more powerful. It's not ready for public release yet, but around September it might be.

For separate objects I use DBP's culling system. DBP doesn't cull objects correctly that are scaled significantly, something to keep in mind when you're placing your objects.

@eek -
Quote: "Pure evil......."

Who me?

@Zombie 20 -
Quote: "That was sick, i almost cried cash. That was amazing, now i want your game even more. Supply and demand!!"

Now you can celebrate! I'm raising the price though, it's $120 now.

@Gil Galvanti -
Quote: "I was wondering, out of curiosity, how did you get the two publishers to look at your game? Did they come to you or did you go to them? If you went to them, what did you have to do? If they came to you, how did they find out about GH?"

One saw my post on Gamedev.net and the other was browsing the forum here. The second one surprised me. They both came to me and I've been in contact with both since.

When it gets closer to being done I'm going to make another post on Gamdev.net, just to show it off.

One thing that I'm very good at is making something look better than it really is. Geisha House has become high quality now, but when the first publisher approached me it was honestly in poor shape. But, my videos and my style made it look good. That's very important if you want to get your game published. PoPR is a quality project, but it needs a bit more polish before you're ready to solicit a publisher. Something else too, they won't make any kind of deal with you until you can give them a demo. They both approached me, but in both cases it was too early to do anything concrete and useful.

I've never solicited a response from a publisher, so I don't know how accepting they are of such things. If you haven't gotten any attention by the time you're ready then I'd make a post on Gamedev.net and I'd contact a couple medium sized publishers. No big attachments, just some pictures and Youtube links.

I'm sorry everyone!! I was just feeling kind of evil and I missed April Fool's day in April. I couldn't help myself

In other news, I've been stuck on the same problem for 4 days now. Four bloody frustrating days. Here was the deal - I coded my weapon equipping and unequipping system. It worked on the first try. However, after you dropped a weapon and you picked it back up, it wouldn't work any more. It would stay on the ground dead, but the weapon's collision box showed up properly in the character's hand.

I've been debugging and debugging. I've been scrutinizing my code over and over. Everything looked perfect, efficient, and beautiful.

Finally today it dawned on me - it's not my code at all, but a Dark Physics bug. When I deleted the rigid body and placed it in the hand of the character, it was not properly returning control of the object to DBP. After a bit of recoding and working around it, I fixed it. That pisses me off. I hope I can reproduce this stupid ugly bug, tie it to an arrow, and shoot Lee in the chest with it. That should get across how I feel about it.

So, all is finally good, and I can continue. I'll have an awesome video in the next two days showing my fixed inventory and weapon system. With that done, this will finally be a proper RPG, every necessary system working properly. Woooooo!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 08:45
Great to hear you are still coming up against problems Cash. Hehe, gives us lesser 'coder' some reason to believe you are fallable!

I'm considering buying DarkPhysics now because I have a project myself that I'm coding/modelling and it needs some physics work for one of the main game elements.

I look forward to the inventory system vidz. If you need some media, give me a yell. I've got time on my hands!

Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 09:07
Gee. That was ironic because I was about to say how inspiring you were that I was going to work harder on my next game. Then I read your post and couldn't believe it. I figured I was bad luck or something. The minute I was about to praise something, it quits.

Anywho, GREAT job thus far. You really make me want to make a game with such great quality.
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 10:53 Edited at: 26th Jun 2007 10:54
oops, didnt see page number.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 12:47
Quote: "Thanks! Only time will tell. I am very fortunate though. DBP has come a long way and there are many more resources available now then when that game was made with DBC. That's a real pioneer."

If you'd see the newer installments of the series (EvoChron: Alliance and Arvoch Conflict) your jaw would drop with awe keeping in mind that those games still are DBC-created.

Every system up and running? Well, now that's good news. Geisha House is shaping up! - $120... Mmm, well, I guess it's worth double Oblivion's money, eh?

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 15:23 Edited at: 26th Jun 2007 15:26
Glad to here that was just a joke. I thought something bad happened like you went insane and decided to quit.

I'm sure this game will be a great source of inspiration as I start making my first large scale 3D game. I hope I don't go crazy when the debugging gets tough...

Just don't forget to make a sequal though. 2 games in a series will be better quality, take less time to make, and make more money than 2 non-related stand alone games. (I think)

You never really know a person until you look at their google autocomplete entries.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 18:35
Quote: "@Gil Galvanti -
Quote: "I was wondering, out of curiosity, how did you get the two publishers to look at your game? Did they come to you or did you go to them? If you went to them, what did you have to do? If they came to you, how did they find out about GH?"
One saw my post on Gamedev.net and the other was browsing the forum here. The second one surprised me. They both came to me and I've been in contact with both since.

When it gets closer to being done I'm going to make another post on Gamdev.net, just to show it off.

One thing that I'm very good at is making something look better than it really is. Geisha House has become high quality now, but when the first publisher approached me it was honestly in poor shape. But, my videos and my style made it look good. That's very important if you want to get your game published. PoPR is a quality project, but it needs a bit more polish before you're ready to solicit a publisher. Something else too, they won't make any kind of deal with you until you can give them a demo. They both approached me, but in both cases it was too early to do anything concrete and useful.

I've never solicited a response from a publisher, so I don't know how accepting they are of such things. If you haven't gotten any attention by the time you're ready then I'd make a post on Gamedev.net and I'd contact a couple medium sized publishers. No big attachments, just some pictures and Youtube links."

Great, thanks for the lengthy and thorough response .

Quote: "In other news, I've been stuck on the same problem for 4 days now. Four bloody frustrating days. "

I know what that feels like, unfortunately . At least my bugs are cause by my own stupidity, though, lol.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 18:48
You're evil... almost as much as me!

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 20:18 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2007 20:26
Quote: "On a more serious note, are you interested in doing any more artwork for Geisha House? Your cover for GH is so completely fantastic I don't know what I ever did without it. I'd love a couple more screens that I could use as loading screens and advertising art. They can be computerized like the first one or hand drawn, totally up to you. "

tell me your wishes, master of jokes...
No, seriously, i can do some stuff for you, simply tell me or make a scribble of what you need and i will ask for details. at the moment im really busy with real life, work, family, you know for sure what i mean, so progress will be slow, but i see a light at the end of the tunnel. or wait, it is the entrance behind me, reflecting in my glasses...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 20:38
Quote: "but i see a light at the end of the tunnel. or wait, it is the entrance behind me, reflecting in my glasses..."

Lol, that's a good one, may have to use that some time .

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Cash Talking about the Places how many are there in total? I'm just wandering but anyways this is awesome this gonna go down as one of the tgc GREATS!

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2007 13:24 Edited at: 28th Jun 2007 13:28
@greenlig -
Quote: "Great to hear you are still coming up against problems Cash."

No way, problems are coming up against me and then they mysteriously dissapear Nobody knows...

Quote: "I'm considering buying DarkPhysics now because I have a project myself that I'm coding/modelling and it needs some physics work for one of the main game elements."

I do love physics. They really add lots of possibilities to a game. Using collision only, Geisha House had a very static feel. Now with exploding skeletons and buildings, it feels dynamic and awesome. If I do rip off Gil's cannon idea (sorry ) then I can add exploding bodies back in. How much fun that will be!

Quote: "I look forward to the inventory system vidz. If you need some media, give me a yell. I've got time on my hands!"

Awesome, thanks! I'm not quite ready for media yet, I'm trying everything I can to get the engine ready. I'll definitely keep that in mind, and I really appreciate it

@dabip -
Quote: "I figured I was bad luck or something. The minute I was about to praise something, it quits."

Sorry, I can be inexplicably evil. Well, actually, I'd had a few beers that night, maybe that has something to do with it. Cash+alcohol=evil? It's a difficult question...

Quote: "Anywho, GREAT job thus far. You really make me want to make a game with such great quality."

Awesome This forum has lots of great support and resources, it's more possible now than ever. Hope to see something turn up.

@draknir_ -
Quote: "oops, didnt see page number."

Neither did I

@tha_rami -
Quote: "Every system up and running?"

Well, relatively speaking. I'll talk about it below...

Quote: "$120... Mmm, well, I guess it's worth double Oblivion's money, eh?"

That's just a guess. It could be more. How would $180 sound?

@Code Dragon -
Quote: "Glad to here that was just a joke. I thought something bad happened like you went insane and decided to quit."

Insanity is always possible, I'm probably not that far off.

Quote: "I'm sure this game will be a great source of inspiration as I start making my first large scale 3D game. I hope I don't go crazy when the debugging gets tough..."

For me, mini projects have been the key. They make development so much easier. Right now I'm working on a mini door project, it's only 1800 lines (I'm using the same template so that it's directly portable, which increases the size). It's a snap to debug. 20,000 lines is a complete nightmare.

Quote: "Just don't forget to make a sequal though. 2 games in a series will be better quality, take less time to make, and make more money than 2 non-related stand alone games. (I think)"

Absolutely. I'm going to change things up a bit for the sequel though. I'm going to upgrade the engine to make the games more Oblivion-like. Using this model, Alquerian is going to release a game and I'm going to create part 2. It will have many of the same components, just reorganized and tweaked for true 3rd/1st person.

I don't think that I'll make two games for commercial release with the same engine, though, unless I make some mad money off of GH. It just wouldn't be practical for me to do so. Without lots of money, my main concern for my games is to support the RPG Creator.

@Gil Galvanti -
No problem. When I actually get some more experience with the publishers I'll keep everyone posted here. I'm sure I'll learn some hard lessons along the way as well.

@NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret -
Unfortunately, you seriously underestimate my evilness

@Green7 -
What I'm thinking of is a couple girls convened in the bath house. I'd love it to be suggestive, perhaps some a girl facing away from us, taking off her silk robe as she enters the water. A large wicked tattoo on her back would be awesome.

What I'd love to capture in such a scene is the sense that something is wrong. If you go in there you might never come out again, but damned if you don't want to take your chances. The scene is the Bath House itself. This probably won't be what it looks like completely in the end, but the details aren't important, the art and the feeling is.

(this pool is full of water, I just don't have a good picture of it handy)

This weekend probably I'll convert it to .3ds and get it out to you to work on at your leisure, if you like how it sounds. If you have any thoughts for it at all, don't hesitate to let me know.

I don't think I have your e-mail, you can just e-mail it to me, the Gmail address below is the e-mail that I use.

I appreciate it!!!

@Deathead -
Quote: "Hey Cash Talking about the Places how many are there in total?"

Right now there's the dock, the pub, the orc village, the small house, the waterfall, the brigand camp, and the bath house. I'm going to add 3 more, but I'm not telling what they are

Quote: "I'm just wandering but anyways this is awesome this gonna go down as one of the tgc GREATS!"

Thanks, I sure hope so

Well, I said I was essentially done, but I jumped the gun just a bit. Right now I'm working on my doors. They never worked completely correctly, I just never showed the ones that were messed up. Now I'll fix it once and for all, I've turned it into a mini project.

I have a couple minor things to do, like finish flags, finish my weapons/inventory system (just a little detailed work to do). The big thing that I still have to do is to add NPC schedules. That is, a list of things for them to do during the day if they aren't being disturbed. That will be a bit of work, I'm not looking forward to it.

Just a couple screenshots, I'm not ready for a video just yet, I want to finish the things I'm working on first. Later!

The paperdoll, complete with spellbook in hand. It works like it should.

Scraggle's awesome artwork in action!!!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2007 14:35
I miss the black double border around the 'runes'...

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2007 15:06
Heheh you know what cash, every time i see your character, i imagine him as a zombie knight since his skin is so pale. But it suits him and gives your guy a more mystical feel to him. Just wanted to share my two cents.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2007 16:29
It's probably already sorted out, but whats the word on the story of the game? Do you have one? would you like me to come up with a few quest ideas or even some graphical introduction to the games story, (I picture a max payne'ish comic book sequence involving the bath house.) I'm in the mode for storying.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 02:32
I agree: Scraggle's runes are top notch. You got them just under the wire: he posted that he's getting hitched in Jamaica on 7/9.
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 02:50 Edited at: 29th Jun 2007 02:51
The only thing I don't like about the runes is that on the top left corner the one rune (the heart one in the last picture you posted) is being coverd by 2 of the others runes while every other rune is only being covered by 1 other rune. I suppose the way to fix this would be to create them in a different order or something... It's boggling my mind trying to think about it, but if you fixed that it would look awesome.

Silver Dawn
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 05:31
@tha_rami -
Quote: "I miss the black double border around the 'runes'..."

I miss it a bit too, I liked the look. Does anyone else miss them? It would be easy enough to add back.

@Zombie 20 -
Quote: "Heheh you know what cash, every time i see your character, i imagine him as a zombie knight since his skin is so pale."

Yeah, I hate his skin and eyes. His eyes get normal mapped to red. The problem is that this particular shader, by Evolved, doesn't support an alpha channel, so I can't alpha out the mapping on his head. A different shader does, but it isn't nearly as good. I'll look for a better shader. I don't want people thinking he's a zombie knight

@Wiggett -
The story is pretty much sorted, I've got pages of dialog and storyboards. But, I'm totally open to any ideas that you might have. Let me know what you're thinking and if it will fit with the rest then I can totally add it.

@Jeff Miller -
Oh wow, he's probably swamped with all kinds of stuff. He's going to do all of the packs and containers too, but that will probably all be e post-honeymoon.

@Agent Dink -
It seems to be more visible now with the new runes. That rune happens to be rune #1. I've mathematically spaced all the runes apart equally, and each one is placed on top of the last one, so it just worked out that way because there are so many.

It won't be that way when there are less runes on screen. When all the runes are on screen there's no way around it unfortunately.

It's been a while since I discussed it, but I wanted to let everyone know my thoughts behind the magic system. Those that have been following this for a long time already know, since I first made my Game Design Theory posts discussing different systems.

Basically, I wanted a way to simulate confusion. You know all kinds of runes, and you have to use the right one at the right time. When things get stressful it becomes harder to do so. Regular magic systems that just require you to click a spell don't do this at all.

At first there won't be many runes at all, you'll just know a few spells and thus the corresponding runes. Magic will be pretty easy at that point. However, you'll learn a lot more runes as you collect new spells.

The system isn't hard to learn, I've memorized most spells without the spellbook now.

I only hope that it's fun. I've endeavored to make each system good on its own. If every part is well made and the story is compelling, then it has to be good

Come see the WIP!
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 05:42 Edited at: 29th Jun 2007 05:53
I guess there is no way around that little Rune thing I mentioned, I tried messing with some layers in PSP and couldn't get any resuly. You can do it in real life with paper, which is frustrating because its so easy to do, but I don't think you can do it in the game. Not without great difficulty anyhow...

Silver Dawn
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 05:52
I suddenly caught the GH bug I think, because I now have ridiculous urges to play it. When you need testers Cash, you have my number!

I like the way you are thinking on the magic system. It will make the game distinct which is the best possible thing you can do bar making a terrorist game involving Paris Hilton working as a lawyer.

Keep it up man.

Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 19:57 Edited at: 29th Jun 2007 19:58
I really like this game Cash, the level of professionalism and your commitment is outstanding!

Just out of interest, is your lead-character's name inspired by the Scions of Shannara, by any chance? Seems like a hybrid name of Walker Boh and Padishar Creel. A cool name I might add!

Keep going!

[edit]

Professional WebDesigns on request! designrjs.com
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 20:25
@Agent Dink -

I don't think that you could do it with paper, it would be essentially the same as layers. Basically, if all layers overlapped, then the first and last have to overlap in a way that differs from all other layers. The only alternative that I can see would be to add a buffer space between the first and last layers, but that would probably be more noticable.

It will really only be visible late in the game, and by then it probably won't be that noticable.

@geenlig -
Quote: "I suddenly caught the GH bug I think, because I now have ridiculous urges to play it. When you need testers Cash, you have my number!"

You are absolutely on the list. I'll let you know when it's time.

Quote: "I like the way you are thinking on the magic system. It will make the game distinct which is the best possible thing you can do bar making a terrorist game involving Paris Hilton working as a lawyer."

Would she be naked? That would be quality. I'm glad you like my theory on the magic system, I hope that it works out in practice.

@optical r -
Quote: "I really like this game Cash, the level of professionalism and your commitment is outstanding!"

Thanks! I'll keep at it

Quote: "Just out of interest, is your lead-character's name inspired by the Scions of Shannara, by any chance? Seems like a hybrid name of Walker Boh and Padishar Creel. A cool name I might add!"

You know, I was wondering if anyone would even comment on the name. That is 100% correct. It was also my character's name in Ultima Online. I figured it was a good chance to bring him back

Come see the WIP!
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 20:45
Hi Cash-

I've seen the videos and read what you said about the magic system. I understand what you're trying to do and it sounds like a neat idea.

I just wanted to give a word of warning about the "confusion" principle. There is a fine line between confusion and frustration when playing computer games. And many a good game have been ruined by the player fighting against the interface instead of fighting against the real obstacles in the game.

So I'd suggest at least slowing down the spinning runes even though it is a really cool effect, but slower would make them more clickable. Even more helpful would be to have quick-links to a favorite spell in the HUD (a few or just a single one, similar to how Ultima Underworld did it). I mean... if you cast it enough, you'd have memorized it by now and don't have to "hunt" for the words any longer, right?

Anyway, just a point I wanted to throw out there. As everybody has said already... the game looks great!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 21:07
@Cash
It is perfectly possible in both DBP and on paper. Basically, you divide up the 1st rune into 4 corners. The corners which are facing the next rune (clockwise) are drawn first, and then, after all the other runes have been drawn, the other corners are drawn in

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 21:25 Edited at: 29th Jun 2007 21:41
Quote: "He's going to do all of the packs and containers too, but that will probably all be e post-honeymoon."

Here's a pre-honey moonbag. If I get chance I will try to knock out the others before I go

[edit]Which is of course, an entirely different kettle of fish to a pre-honeymoon bag!

Attachments

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2007 22:23
How does the word 'wow' sound to you, Cash? I saw this in its earlier stages and returned and think that it's looking really cool - goes to show you know what you're talking about when giving advice. Can't wait to see the end result.

Support the return of Cow-Fishing! Hook up Paris Hilton and die!
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 15:57
Quote: "goes to show you know what you're talking about when giving advice"

And there's no shortage of Cash's posts doing that

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 17:19 Edited at: 30th Jun 2007 20:25
@Seppuku Arts -
Quote: "How does the word 'wow' sound to you, Cash?"

It sounds quite nice Unless you mean 'World of Warcraft' then it's not quite as nice. I kid, of course I know, and I appreciate it

Quote: "I saw this in its earlier stages and returned and think that it's looking really cool - goes to show you know what you're talking about when giving advice. Can't wait to see the end result."

Heh, some people don't like my advice much. The problem is, that doesn't make it untrue. Some of my best posts have been beer fueled tirades that I'd never have made sober but I thoroughly enjoy the next day Kind of like having kids I guess, it doesn't make sense when you're sober but you wouldn't trade them back either...

I definitely look forward to finishing this. Soon, I pray!!

@Diggsey -
It would be terribly selfish of me to keep it all to myself, so I share a little

Quote: "It is perfectly possible in both DBP and on paper."

You are absolutely correct, how obtuse of me. Dealing with corners it's no problem.

Using whole layers it's a bit more complex. I wouldn't dare dream of turning all of those runes into tinier squares, what a nightmare. Maybe there's a way to accomplish it mathematically with the layers, I'm not sure, but I can't wrap my brain around that at the moment. This is one of those things I think I'll just sweep under the rug. But, I definitely appreciate your input, every bit helps.

@Agent Dink -
Sorry about that, I didn't think it through all the way. As Diggsey pointed out, it certainly is possible. It would just take a bit more work, at this point I can't fathom how it could be done with a solid layer.

@tiresius -
Quote: "There is a fine line between confusion and frustration when playing computer games. And many a good game have been ruined by the player fighting against the interface instead of fighting against the real obstacles in the game."

That's so true. The speed isn't set in stone at all, I'll tweak that during beta.

That is a good idea about the spell shortcuts. I could have it create a shortcut when you've cast a spell a certain number of times. Or, I can allow you to memorize a couple spells. Say, two at first, and more as your skill increased. When you memorized a spell then the spell rune would vanish, similar to casting off of a scroll, except that you could memorize the spell again. That's how the magic system worked in Enchanter, the IF Infocom game. What do you guys think of that?

Thanks

@Scraggle -
Looks good, but it will have to cleaned it up a bit. The alpha blending on the edges was very white and made it kind of... glowey.

If you alpha blend it to a darker color it would probably look good. The old bags have no blending at all, just transparent or solid, which worked pretty good. For the final product a little alpha blending would be good, but darker and not as much.

As always, I appreciate it!

Okay guys (and girls, hopefully ), it's new video time!! It's been too long in the making, slowed down by no less than four (4) long ugly days of a Dark Physics bug. I'd never noticed it before because I never disarmed and rearmed a weapon. Well, those days are over. Everything works, and it works great!

There is a deeper rooted problem with this though. The items on the ground aren't the normal mapped ones, they're the regular objects. I'll work around it so that they'll retain the normal mapping but lose it when it becomes armed. But the really bad part is that because of this DP bug, when that ground weapon gets armed, it's not really in the player's hand, and it won't properly cast shadows any more. That really sucks. The only workaround would be to use a 3rd weapon object, which I'm not going to do. I'll make an unhappy bug report soon enough.

I didn't think to show Scraggle's awesome new runes in the video, so I'll just re-post the picture.

Without further ado, here is Video 13...
http://www.youtube.com/v/VrT1nQfvChM

You'll notice that you drag the weapons onto the paperdoll like you do the pack. At first I was going to swap the tiny icon for the big one, but doing that would be slower and would introduce other problems, especially since I edited out some pixels on all of the handles. You can't fill up the paperdoll with junk though, or extra weapons. You can only put the two weapons that you can hold there.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 17:26
Still miss the borders... Really, I find the runes have lost a bit of looks by that. Besides that, nothing to crit yet.

Dislike the memorize spells thing, okay, maybe one hot-spell... More than that would probably end up using only very few spells (as many as can be hotkeyed)) and make the runes system a bit of a gimmick...

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 18:53 Edited at: 30th Jun 2007 18:54
Quote: "I find the runes have lost a bit of looks by that"

I didn't put borders on the 'runes' because Cash said they weren't supposed to be runes but bits of parchment. If Cash would like borders on them, then I can put them on, it's no biggie. Personally, I think they look fine as they are.

As for the bag: I'm not really sure what you mean about the edges 'glowing'. But I have changed what I think might have been the problem and it seems to look OK now. I have made two versions. One with a shadow and one without. I thought the shadow might hide any issues around the edges.
I've shown it here against a grass backdrop, it seems to work now, don't you think?

The download button has the two versions as transparent .png's.

Attachments

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 20:24
This is a good project and all.. but I don't see why it requires such over glorification. The ego around this project is amazingly large. This isn't the greatest DBpro project ever and I am unimpressed by the videos. They're good and all but.. what's up with all the hype for such a slow-progressing project?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 20:44
@tha_rami -
We'll get more feedback on the borders then we'll go from there.

I understand what you're saying about the hotkeys turning the spells into a gimmick. If I do implement this, I think I'd limit it to two. I wouldn't use a 'hotkey' either, per se, but rather a different kind of rune, a bit bigger, and draggable. It would pop up on the screen until you used it, then it would vanish.

What do you guys think of the borders on the spell runes? What do you think about a limited spell memorizing system? Try it out or leave it purely with the runes?

Mind you, I'll more than likely slow the runes down, and you won't have so many runes on the screen at once. I just haven't put in the system to change them out dynamically yet, but it's coming.

@Scraggle -
Perfect, thank you I'm glad to have both. I'll more than likely use the one without the shadow, I like how it looks.

@Bush Baby -
Quote: "This is a good project and all.. but I don't see why it requires such over glorification."

Quote: "The ego around this project is amazingly large."

There is no ego around this project. I'm the same person with or without it. I can't help but be proud of the work I've done though.

Quote: "This isn't the greatest DBpro project ever and I am unimpressed by the videos."

Show me a better, more complete RPG made in DBP. If you don't like the videos or the game then offer specific criticism, that's what people do here.

Quote: "what's up with all the hype for such a slow-progressing project?"

Now this is the sentence that really puzzles me. You have no idea what you're talking about. Do you have a problem with the speed at which I work? Do you have any idea how much work has gone into this or how complex a properly functioning RPG is? Do you realize that the engine is 95% finished, and will be complete within the next two weeks?

Show me what you've made to qualify you to say such things. I have no idea who you are or what you've done. Stay out of my thread, you twit.

Come see the WIP!
Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 21:02
Quote: "There is no ego around this project. I'm the same person with or without it. I can't help but be proud of the work I've done though.
"

You certainly talk down to newcomers looking to start an RPG. You certainly seem to think you're high and mighty because of your project.

Quote: "Show me a better, more complete RPG made in DBP. If you don't like the videos or the game then offer specific criticism, that's what people do here."

The keyword there was project. Not rpg.

Quote: "Do you have any idea how much work has gone into this or how complex a properly functioning RPG is? Do you realize that the engine is 95% finished, and will be complete within the next two weeks?"

Yes, I realize how complex a properly functioning RPG is. Yeah, I also know how much work you've put into this - I've been watching Geisha House since it was just an RPG engine (http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=65317&b=8).
I believe I even posted in that thread. I know it's nearly done, but it just seems as if it's progressing very slowly or you're not showing 75% of the stuff that'd be there (if it's a properly functioning RPG).

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 21:04
Great job with the new video . I have one suggestion if not already implemented...add hotkeys for the "attack", "open pack" and "paperdoll".

And I would have defended you from Bush Baby's comments, but it seems you've already done that . I do want to comment on one thing, and then I'll drop it.

Quote: "what's up with all the hype for such a slow-progressing project?"

Have you ever made a game? Apparently not if you think this is a "slow-progressing project". Games take a large amount of time to make, and a great game, like Geisha House, takes even longer. I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about, as Cash pointed out.

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 21:15
Quote: "Have you ever made a game? Apparently not if you think this is a "slow-progressing project". Games take a large amount of time to make, and a great game, like Geisha House, takes even longer. I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about, as Cash pointed out.
"

Yeah. I have made a couple games, but none I wanted to show everybody. I'm also working on one currently, but refuse to post a WIP that will just get senseless comments. And only an idiot would think a game wouldn't take a long time. But let's get realistic here. Geisha house started around 2005. It's probably nearing 2 years old now , and it's in a BASIC language. Seems a little slow to me. Go ahead and think I don't know what I'm talking about, I really don't care. I've spent alot of time in these forums and seen alot of things. I had another account since 2002, but lost the password and created this one. The DBPro community isn't that great at all anymore. There a handful of "big" and "awesome" WIPs where everbody would bow down to the few who made them. (Like the community mmorpg project.) I don't see much anything special in any of them, save ZZZ's Soul Hunter which I believe is currently done?

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 21:24
Quote: "Geisha house started around 2005. It's probably nearing 2 years old now , and it's in a BASIC language. Seems a little slow to me."

A complex RPG developed by one person taking two years is not a long time at all. It takes professional game companies longer than that to produce a decent game.

Quote: "The DBPro community isn't that great at all anymore."

Then why are you still taking part in it?

I think you're concept of what it takes to make a truly great game is twisted. 2 years for a project like this is nothing.

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 21:31
In a Basic language? Are you sure you're the one with the right idea?

And I still take a part in the DBpro community because a)I still use DBpro and like to look for new plugins b)I have a few old friends here I like watching progress with their projects c)Old habit.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 22:07
And you think everyone of us need to program every day 24 hours without social life? I think not..

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 22:11
I think the runes look fine with a very clean look. The item dragging is really cool too, but I'm confused as to why you can drag items onto the equip screen and leave them there.

@Bush Baby:
I question why you continually spam this thread, put down this community, and criticize Cash's work speed. If you don't like Geisha House, then fine, but why try to belittle this project when many, many people admire it? Seems childish too me.

Keep it up, Cash! Looking forward to another awesome update.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 22:23
Hmm... could do with a curvevalue on the movement speed. Looks a little jerky at the moment. The dragging items into the inventory is amazing, though!

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 23:11 Edited at: 30th Jun 2007 23:15
Bush Baby -
Quote: "Go ahead and think I don't know what I'm talking about"

You are totally clueless. From your comments about GH, I can't help but think how jealous you are. 2 Years for a project isn't uncommon, especially for a 1-man team. You haven't produced a single thing for the DBP community, so until that day has come and gone, keep your mouth shut. If you had a single constructive thing to say, I would have a different opinion of you. I don't always agree with Cash, and I RARELY get pissed off at other forum-goers but you really take the cake. You are insulting his 2 years of hard work and effort, likely because you are incapable of producing something even a fraction as professional (not to mention complete) as GH. I challenge you to prove me wrong.

Quote: "I know it's nearly done, but it just seems as if it's progressing very slowly or you're not showing 75% of the stuff that'd be there (if it's a properly functioning RPG)."

As a quick response to this, every WIP thread is different, as is their posters and maintainers. Now you criticize his method of updating the community with his work? For someone who doesn't seem to care, your actions show quite a contradiction.

Quote: "I'm also working on one currently, but refuse to post a WIP that will just get senseless comments. "

I would hate to think that there are a lot of people who post senseless comments. If you post crap then you will get flamed with senseless comments, so I can appreciate your hesitation However, if you work your rear end off and produce good work (or at least good progress), then the community will embrace you. They will show support for your project, commend you for your progress and provide encouragement to help you carry on.

Posting a WIP can also provide you with a reality check. Posting garbage about the newest and greatest MMO that you have been planning will likely result in you having your nuts orally removed. Why? Because some people aren't in touch with reality. The Reality that real projects like GH take real effort, often years of effort.

Visit the Wip!
Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 23:23 Edited at: 30th Jun 2007 23:25
I just started looking through this post, and I have to say this is some high quality stuff. Don't have anymore to say then what has already been said. Also being an indie game developer, and developing a RPG in only two years!? Plan on writing a book on indi game development? I would definitely add that to my library, lol!

As for Bushy Babe: your a n00b

BWM

"I wish I was a wizard, becuase then I could wave my wand and perfect code would just appear."
Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 23:29
@Cash:

I had no right to walk into your WIP thread and try to put down your project. I apologize that I acted like a jerk and hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass. I will admit that you have more than I ever have and I will admit that this project is plenty better than alot of those poking around on the forums. I was just feeling some resentment because it feels like every WIP is full of fools who just say "zomgthatissocool" to the lamest of lame.

@The Community:

I apologize for putting the community down. Again, I was in a bad mood. I recognize that I have no excuse, and I'll accept all the flames and possible temp-bans as a result of my immaturity.
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 23:35
BB-
This community is one of the best that I have ever seen. I appreciate your apology and I can appreciate your re-evaluation of your comments.

Visit the Wip!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2007 23:56
@Bush Baby: You've done good by apologizing, and I'm sure everyone will accept it. Apologizing and accepting you were wrong takes some guts, and I think most of us will respect that you did that. We all have bad days .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 08:44:34
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 08:44:34