Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG - Geisha House. Image intensive!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 17:49 Edited at: 6th Jul 2007 17:53
Come on, Kieran. Cash is almost finished the greatest DBPro RPG ever, we can go zomg gh iz so kool all we want.

Thou shall not unjustly flame thy neighbor's WIP, or thou shall be catapulted into the sun.

You never really know a person until you look at their google autocomplete entries.
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 18:26
(Wheels out the catapult)... Kieran, you can't let it die can you? It is as if seeing Geisha House succeed is harming you personally in some strange and jealous way. Bush Baby apologized and even stated that his comments were unwarranted and immature, and now you say 'wait a minute, they were correct!' even after the person who spoke the words recanted them? Showing support for such comments only makes you look like a total and utter fool.

And comments like this just dumbfound me:
Quote: "made in a BASIC language and using many additional plugins like DarkPhysics and DarkAI"

Was that meant to be an insult to Cash? If it was, allow me to analogize:

Cash is faced with the monumental task of building a house, he has his nails, his wood and a good idea of how to put it together. You are criticizing him for using a hammer instead of taking his shoe off to beat the nails into place.

The point is, the right tool for the right job. Kieran, you should reconsider your comments on this thread, as you will only dig yourself deeper and deeper into an argument that you will not win. I am offering you sound advice, I suggest you take it.

Visit the Wip!
Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 19:54 Edited at: 6th Jul 2007 19:56
I like the description for the AI, it's sounds really cool. I'm glad this project is almost finished. One feature suggestion I have is health bars above the enemy head's. Always thought that was useful in RPG's. But I think the menu system is very simplistic and easy to understand just by seeing you mess around with it for the 15 secs I saw in the video. Never seen one like it before.

I also admire you for being able to stick with such a big project and still maintain a life and family Something I struggle with now with a full time job(almost 50 hours a week), wife, kids, friends, family, and all that jazz. I find myself only working on my project an hour or two a day, and even then that's interrupted every 10 minutes by "I'm hungry...clean this up...pay the bills" , lol.

I tip my hat to you

BWM

"I wish I was a wizard, becuase then I could wave my wand and perfect code would just appear."
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 20:30
I think this community likes to create drama lol Geisha House is an awesome project, and Cash, youre doing a great job. I think the reason most people take up arguments with you is not that theyre jealous (which maybe they are a little) but because you really DO come off as mean and insensitive, often in other peoples threads. All things said, I think youre a great programmer and watch your project with interest.
bass guy1669
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 20:43
man... that was really immature kieran i have never seen Cash shoot someones RPG dreams down, GH looks just as good as all the commercial games coming out that people are fawning over, one bit of advice NO LIKEY NO READY

come see night shift at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106003&b=25 see you there
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 21:32
I'm disappointed Kieran...

On the other hand,

Cash, you are making a legend of a game. I'm sure this will go down in history as one of the greatest DBPro games of all time. I understand the whole idea of not working on the game, but the actual game engine, and even though it may not look as impressive to the naked eye, I can see that this is a very flexible engine that can make a complete and feature rich game. I feel sorry for people who have not yet come to understand this, so they decide to make bad critisism, so, take it from me, you're doing a great job! Dont give up!

Elite Gaming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 21:47
Sorry this made me laugh:

Kieran...
Quote: "its strange that its a thread full of "great job Cash" when clearly I think we all know it is a good project and well some glory is ok but its a little overglorified don't you guys think?"

Then a few lines down:

Kieran...
Quote: "@Geisha House
Great project overall, nice progress so far and good job, keep it up."

lol.

I've been following this project for ages, and compared to what it looks like, and what its now, its coming on really well. I have a full time job, and also try and program games and know how little time you have (espcially if your a web developing sitting in front of a computer all day!).

I think the magic system alone is this game is amazing, and really well thought out.

@Cash
Is it the engine thats nearly finished, or is it the actually story as well?
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 03:59
Quote: "Sorry this made me laugh:

Kieran...

Quote: "its strange that its a thread full of "great job Cash" when clearly I think we all know it is a good project and well some glory is ok but its a little overglorified don't you guys think?"

Then a few lines down:

Kieran...

Quote: "@Geisha House
Great project overall, nice progress so far and good job, keep it up."

lol. "

It's because of what Cash said, Kieran has been bothering him for a while now, and is just desperate to find something to pick on him for. He needs to grow up.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 04:01 Edited at: 7th Jul 2007 04:02
hmm yes the exact results I was expecting...

@Cash

No I am not jelous of Geisha House at all...but no I do not dislike it as you say, stop assuming everything from your feelings of reading my posts.

I don't care how long it takes you because I know you have a life, as do I, im just stating that it has been in progress a long time, I never said thats a bad thing.

Quote: "You have no idea what you're talking about."

Wrong again, I did my research...unlike you.

Quote: "
Kieran, you lack the experience and qualifications to make any judgements about me or this project."

Ummmm...no-one lacks qualification to give their oppinion about something but I do know what I am saying...

Quote: "Kieran is mad at me because I criticised his non-DBP RPG project. Our breakdown in communication started way before that. I offered some feedback on his RPG project progress and he flew off the handle about it. Our issues were never resolved."

No that is not why, or as you say "you have no idea what you're talking about" (LOL!) it started because I was absolutely sick of seeing all the bad things I have seen coming from you and I was getting bugged, please show me where I said anything about this being about something in the inferno engine thread because I didn't care a thing about what you have said about my models, thats your oppinion and thats fine...

@Lucifer
Quote: "Kieran should be hurled into the sun from a catapult for his bitterness.. yes, the sun.."

If you feel that way thats fine by me but I am just stating what I feel should be stated at the moment.
Quote: "Well it is a good project , and it 100% deserves the feedback it's getting."

Thats fine also but its real cheesy seeing it in every post, but if thats what you guys want then fine...

@Crit
well thats certainly not what I have been seeing around the forums, he hasn't been doing that from all the posts i've seen, and i've seen a few around

@Code Dragon
LOL! Im not attacking Geisha House itself, i'm making my point about the things I have seen and disliked about Cash's attitude, which he will maintain and thats another reason why we can't resolve issues.

@Alquerian
No I am just saying if hes using these tools it should be faster to make the house than banging it in with his shoe, however he can take as long as he wants, I don't care as I am not purchasing it.

@Draknir_
yes he does do that, but I admit he is a good programmer and I respect that which no-one seems to understand...

@bass guy
Well I have seen him do that...

@Zotoaster
I am sorry you feel that way but I had a point to make, I know everyone is angry at me but I am remaining civilised and stating fact...

@Elite Gaming
It was a short sweet message though, not one of those after every update but thats fine if people want to do that, its their business... Also I have to give the project some credit because it is good.

@Gil Galivanti
I am happy for you to give your oppinion as well, thats fine but you do not know why I have been angry at Cash, and apparently neither does he...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 04:04 Edited at: 7th Jul 2007 04:05
@Kieran: So you're pretty much saying you don't like Cash and like Geisha House. Well that's not what this thread is for, use email, and stop trying to make yourself come across as the "civilised", as you would say, person, and grow up and learn to accept criticism and resolve issues in a better way that acting conceded and constantly attacking irrelevant issues.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 04:07
@Gil Galvanti
No...I am saying I dislike his attitude towards the community in some areas and some of it seems to be coming from the fact that hes making "Geisha House" the UbEr CoOl RPG or something.

Anyways I accept criticism fine, as Cash has stated thats why i'm angry, it isn't true.

Maybe you think im not civilised but everyone in this argument seems to be civilised to me.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 04:57
I see no problem with his attitude. He comes across as a nice guy, in my opinion.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 04:59
@insipire
yes he does in alot of places its just some it seems disrespectful to other members, and im sure it isn't appreciated by anyone...

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 05:30
Cash is a very respectful and honest guy. Something I have noticed personally about him is his integrity, and I have had a bit to do with him in the past. Like Indi, he doesn't mince words too much, and as he said, won't sugar coat everything in the genre he is experienced in.

Kieran, no, you haven't done your research. You said it has been ten years in development, and it hasn't. You state that something 21000 lines long should be done in less than a year and a half - you obviously don't understand the need of making code efficient and un-spaghetti like. He worked for over two months of that time on one paid project I know of, and others I don't doubt. The guy has a family, a job, and a life, and yet you complain that he isn't doing enough. After attacking his project, work ethic, and experience, you then say "Its not geisha house, its Cash".

Keep your petty stuff in personal correspondence mate, it's ruining this thread.

@ cash - zomg gh iz kool!

Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 06:16
greenlig-I don't think i need to add anything. You summed up what I wanted to say.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 07:16
@Greenlig
Yes some of that is true, but not all
Quote: "You said it has been ten years in development"

well looking back over thr thread I have seen messages saying "Geisha House was started in 1997" and no I wasn't expecting more for 1 and a half years, I thought I was expecting more from 10 years but it seems that information was false.
Quote: "you obviously don't understand the need of making code efficient and un-spaghetti like."

Yes I do understand that as I said this is what I was expecting for 10 years work as it has been said.

Also I know he has a family and all that and I wasn't "complaining" that he wasn't doing enough, I was simply stating that he has not got a large amount of work if it was 10 years which I now realise it wasn't.

@Cash and Others
I apologise for the rudeness of comments that Cash hasn't done enough work, as I have seen evidence in earlier posts that Geisha House started 10 years ago.

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 07:26
Ok...

@Cash~ Hey, Nice progress Watching thread for next vid. Oh u get my email?

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 07:56 Edited at: 7th Jul 2007 07:59
@Kieran, I have trouble believing that you didn't realize that was just a joke... Well, if you had read the thread carefully enough you would have seen it.

Also, the fact that dbpro didn't exist 10 years ago should have given it away... did dbc even exist in 1997?

I've been following not just Geisha house but this entire rpg engine since Cash first posted about it, and much of what makes it so good is how Cash follows through with everything he says. And not just that, but Cash seriously considers peoples suggestions and responds to everyone.

And how are the vids boring? Cash says before hand what he plans to show us most of the time, and the vids demonstrate it. It you watch the vids you can come to understand the progress and complexity of the engine. It's not like these vids are what Cash is going to use to sell Geisha House, they're the dev diary.

And as a final note on this, I think if people are interested in a wip thread, they should take the time to try and pick up the important facts they missed, even if it was like 2 pages, which is what I just did. If you're so pressed for time that you can't, it probably isn't the best time to be posting.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to seeing the proposed AI in action. NPCs transforming objects is a really good idea and a great way of classifying all sorts of different actions. I've been plotting out different ideas for all sorts of AI types myself, so that particularly stuck out at me.

Got to go now, been real busy and need to find some time to sleep.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 08:53
Quote: "well looking back over thr thread I have seen messages saying "Geisha House was started in 1997" and no I wasn't expecting more for 1 and a half years, I thought I was expecting more from 10 years but it seems that information was false."

Funny, I remember seeing that too. But where....

Quote: "Also, the fact that dbpro didn't exist 10 years ago should have given it away... did dbc even exist in 1997?"

He doesn't have to be working with DarkBasic all the time. He could have been making concept art, laying out the game/engine, or any number of things. Just sayin'.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 09:50
@Bizar
I guess the videos do but I got bored of watching em because they dont show enough action for my liking, but I never said they didn't do what they were supposed to, I would just pefer more action but thats up to Cash.

@Inspire
Yeah thats what I was thinking, or he couldv'e been making it in another programming language and in which case, would have been easier to port some of the structure into DB. Anwyays who knows...

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 12:58 Edited at: 11th Jul 2007 19:59
@vorconan -
Quote: "Thank you for answering my questions aswell, some great responses. I'm learning from them anyway."

No problem, glad I could help.

@Alquerian -
Quote: "Cash is faced with the monumental task of building a house, he has his nails, his wood and a good idea of how to put it together. You are criticizing him for using a hammer instead of taking his shoe off to beat the nails into place."

Good analogy

@Blastwave man -
Quote: "I like the description for the AI, it's sounds really cool. I'm glad this project is almost finished."

Thanks, and I'm glad too

Quote: "One feature suggestion I have is health bars above the enemy head's. Always thought that was useful in RPG's."

You mean, rather than floating at their feet? That's where the bars are now. I can certainly do that if you guys prefer, I figured that the health bar should be separate from the floating text, and the floating text is above their head. I could just push the text up a few pixels.

@draknir_ -
Quote: "Geisha House is an awesome project, and Cash, youre doing a great job."

Thanks I understand what you're saying about how I come across. Kieran's situation is unique though. He and I have other problems and I don't treat him like I do other people.

@Zotoaster -
Quote: "Cash, you are making a legend of a game. I'm sure this will go down in history as one of the greatest DBPro games of all time."

Awesome, I sure hope that it does

Quote: "even though it may not look as impressive to the naked eye, I can see that this is a very flexible engine that can make a complete and feature rich game."

When I make the videos I'm not so concerned about the presentation, I am just trying to show off the features of the engine. I'd expect a community of programmers and game makers to understand it. I'm glad that most of you do.

@Elite Gaming -
Quote: "I think the magic system alone is this game is amazing, and really well thought out."

Thanks I've endeavored to make each system in the game good on its own. I figure if every system is well made then it can't help but be fun.

Quote: "Is it the engine thats nearly finished, or is it the actually story as well?"

The engine is nearly done. The game isn't though, I have to write all of the dialog, game scripts, and still make about half of the media. Once the engine is done then making the game will go pretty fast, though. I'm looking forward to it.

@Game King -
I got it, I've just been really busy, I'll get back to you.

@Bizar Guy -
Quote: "Anyways, I'm really looking forward to seeing the proposed AI in action. NPCs transforming objects is a really good idea and a great way of classifying all sorts of different actions. I've been plotting out different ideas for all sorts of AI types myself, so that particularly stuck out at me."

It's turning out really nicely, I can't wait to see it in more than just prototype mode, in game it will be nice to watch and interact with

@Crit -
Quote: "zomg_geishahouse_izcool!!11!one!"

@Code Dragon -
Quote: "zomg gh iz so kool"

@greenlig -
Quote: "@ cash - zomg gh iz kool!"

I'm starting to see a pattern I appreciate your support Zac.

@bass guy1669, Lucifer, Gil Galvanti, Inspire, Zombie 20 -
Thanks guys, I appreciate your support.

@Everyone -
Thanks everyone for your support. It does make it all worth it.

Okay, I'd like to point out something for any newcomers - the videos are demonstrations of the game engine's capabilities. In a community of programmers and game developers I expect them to be understood for what they are. They are not game commercials. Like Bizar Guy pointed out, they are more of a Dev Diary, just in video format. I should have to be on guard about posting my game progress. If you prefer action then just watch the fighting videos. If you don't like the game but don't have real constructive criticism to give then just ignore this game and this thread.

The AI system is coming together nicely. It works like I intended - based on the threat that the player presents, anger levels will rise and the characters will start to act differently. People won't get angry if there's an enemy or animal on screen and you draw your weapon, but they'll start to get mad if there is no other threat. Friendly units will become neutral, then if they're made enough they'll become your enemy.

Right now all they say is "Wow, you're pissing me off.", so there's nothing really to show just yet. Still a lot of work to do, the new item system and NPC schedules will be much harder than the new AI.

There won't be a new video for a while yet, at least a week. I want to get everything done for the next one.

Later all!

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 14:50
lol...i didn't realize they were at the feet. I'm blind

"I wish I was a wizard, becuase then I could wave my wand and perfect code would just appear."
Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 22:03 Edited at: 7th Jul 2007 22:04
Quote: "I've had exchanges of foul words with plenty of people on this forum. Take Bush Baby for instance (sorry Bush for repeatedly drumming up the incident). He said some ugly things about GH, we corresponded via e-mail, then he gave a sincere apology and all was well. All is well."

No worries Cash. I'll take one for the team! Haha. Seriously though, it's cool.

#11 - Thou Shalt Practice What Thou Preach
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2007 01:27 Edited at: 8th Jul 2007 14:42
Quote: "Heh, some people don't like my advice much. The problem is, that doesn't make it untrue."

Indeed, though I am still going to help Fallout, from a certain thread discussion, simply because all I'd be doing is what I call simple - modelling and texturing objects and contributing on the behalf of media. Though advice from other threads and that one have been included into the plans for my project, which unfortunately will not be DBP based but will work towards my DBP idea.

Quote: "Unless you mean 'World of Warcraft' then it's not quite as nice."

Afraid not, I don't like to flame, I'd prefer to offer constructive criticism instead of blindly slating it with such swear words.

As for the new video, well that also looks cool, I think I remember reading you saying this is only an RPG engine, but does that mean you're going to stop there, or develop it into a game and of course no doubt some stickler pointed out, a change of name as the game isn't very Japanese-y to get the name 'Geisha house'.

Support the return of Cow-Fishing! Hook up Paris Hilton and die!
Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2007 02:18
Quote: "Bush Baby: Indeed, I would look to avoid comments like that, though you have apologised, I hope you really do understand why a one man project in a basic language as you called it takes so long whilst working on it part time and not full time as a company would in a mire commercial language, also please note that some companies used engines already made and just use the scripting side, with professionals working full time, it still takes them a while, and Cash is making the engine and using the scripting parts of his engine, though on appearance may not look like much from screenies, but under-the-hood I'd imagine there's a lot of horse power to get the results he has got. So as long as you understand what is being said and why you were wrong, I can see it only fair that people accept your apology - plus you'd be one of few who apologise and actually mean it."

Uh, yeah, dude. I've known that for a while now Cash was just using me as an example - I didn't want keiran to revive my comments or anything. That was entirely his choice - I fixed my mistake, don't need to hear any more about it. I was just letting Cash know it was alright to use me as an example...

#11 - Thou Shalt Practice What Thou Preach
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2007 14:41
Whoops, my bad, sorry, I didn't see that this went onto the next page - goes to show a lot of posting happens in a week after being away, I'll edit that out of my post

Support the return of Cow-Fishing! Hook up Paris Hilton and die!
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2007 16:27
<Goes into hibernation until next video...>

eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Hopefully that third post you were talking about will show up soon, this one is awfully cluttered with utter crap by now (nothing actually related to the game, that is).

It's looking wonderful. By the way, how much is this going to cost? I've seen $60 here and there, but I'm really just not sure anymore. Just wandering because it's definitely on the "to buy" list.
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 08:40
@Cash
Well I will stay out of your thread now I feel I shouldn't be doing this...as for resolving issues, when your ready to do so send me an email...

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 20:32 Edited at: 11th Jul 2007 20:33
@Blastwave man -
Understandably, you were overwhelmed by the general awesomeness

@Bush Baby -
Cool

@Seppuku Arts -
I'm just finishing the engine of the game first, then I'll finish the actual game 'Geisha House'. I guess it just helps to have a bit of a theme and idea when programming, it's really helped me to guide the project in very specific ways. Much of it has been driven by specific things I need in the game, but want to accomplish through scripting rather than hard coding.

After the engine is finished I'll be able to fully dedicate myself to the game and media.

@Diggsey -
Not much longer, but still a bit I fear

@eek -
Quote: "Hopefully that third post you were talking about will show up soon, this one is awfully cluttered with utter crap by now (nothing actually related to the game, that is)."

20 more posts to go, I fear. I do want this page to vanish, it really sucks.

Quote: "It's looking wonderful. By the way, how much is this going to cost? I've seen $60 here and there, but I'm really just not sure anymore. Just wandering because it's definitely on the "to buy" list."

Thanks More than likely $20. My '$60 or higher' estimate was just a joke.

@Kieran -
Quote: "@Cash
Well I will stay out of your thread now I feel I shouldn't be doing this...as for resolving issues, when your ready to do so send me an email..."

That's noble of you, except I've tried to send you an e-mail before but you don't have one listed. I asked you before as well. I realize that you have an MSN Hotmail there, but ofttimes people create a dummy e-mail account to use with MSN.

If you'd like to speak, feel free to e-mail me at my provided e-mail address.

Work drives on as always. No video yet, but I have some screenshots. I converted the small house into a cheap pub, just for the purpose of making my NPC schedules. The first will be bar-tending, 24/7.

I've got a bit more to add before it's functional, but I've got the framework in place. Once I get her bar-tending properly then I'll expand it into multiple time-slots. There will be a game clock, and jobs will be divided into 48 half hour (relatively speaking, based on game time) increments. Everything will be scriptable and very flexible, so you'll be able to have an NPC doing any number of tasks at any given time.

Here's the makeshift pub. It won't be in the final game, but it will do for now...

Too much stress on the job?

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 20:48 Edited at: 11th Jul 2007 20:49
That is very cool Cash, this is starting to feel more like a game and adding chores and tasks for NPCs is going to heighten gameplay to a whole new level. Good work

Visit the Wip!
eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Thanks More than likely $20. My '$60 or higher' estimate was just a joke."

Wonderful! I thought I remembered that $60 was a joke, but I wanted to clarify that I can afford it. Definitely on the list now!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 21:21
You are so good programmer You looked on the enchancing thing?

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2007 23:58
beer 24/7, i now love this game, not just like, love.

and yah, I was blind by the awesomeness, so blinding.

nice screens, AI is looking good

bwm

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2007 02:34
Lol, the Marauding Wench. Awesome name Cash.

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
McLaine
Years of Service
User Offline
Glad too see you're still on this Cash.

I'm back.

It's not my fault!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 07:37
@Alquerian -
Quote: "That is very cool Cash, this is starting to feel more like a game and adding chores and tasks for NPCs is going to heighten gameplay to a whole new level. Good work"

Thanks! It is getting a lot more interesting. Before, the NPCs were just dumb targets for me to beat on and blast with hot angry magic I can't wait to finish it, I just haven't been able to do much work the past couple days.

@eek -
Awesome, glad to hear it!

@Roxas -
Quote: "You are so good programmer You looked on the enchancing thing?"

Thanks I don't understand, enchancing thing? The spell system from the videos?

I'm not going to use that for the spell system. However, it could find a place as a type of built in puzzle system. It is very much related to the current spell system, just a bit more complex to work. That's why I wouldn't want it as part of the magic system, but it looks very interesting.

@Blastwave man -
It's too bright, you need shades to see it The video will be 1000x more awesome, there's a lot going on that the screenshots don't show you.

@greenlig -
Quote: "Lol, the Marauding Wench. Awesome name Cash."

Yeah, it's Marauder's Bay, so most things around there will be marauding in one form or another That girl doesn't like the name though, she'll tell you guys all about it in the next video.

I really should run spellcheck on my dialog before I post it though, I'm always trying to add an extra 'u' to marauding.

@McLaine -
Hey, long time no see. Welcome back!

Quote: "Glad too see you're still on this Cash."

Of course, there was never any doubt!

Come see the WIP!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2007 15:57
no i mean the system we discussed on previous page.

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2007 11:56
Looks brilliant cash, the images really show the conversation well for me, glad to see theres a pub at least, it would be awesome if you could get drunk like in Fable

anyway, nice work

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 19:38
How's it going Cash? any new updates?

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 04:17
If the guy can get drunk it would be cool if he walks in the opposite direction you tell him to go or something.

This sig has been viewed times.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 17:33
@Roxas -
Yeah, that's what I was talking about

@vorconan -
Quote: "Looks brilliant cash, the images really show the conversation well for me, glad to see theres a pub at least, it would be awesome if you could get drunk like in Fable"

Of course, that's already set up. It's similar to the behavior for the spell Feeblemind, it just messes you up.

Quote: "anyway, nice work"

Of course And of course, thanks!

@Game King -
Of course, read below

@Code Dragon -
Like I said above, drunk behavior is similar to Feeblemind behavior. Right now, Feeblemind reverses some of the controls, making it extremely difficult to operate things. The end result - the player looks drunk.

Slight update guys. I've had a terrible time working lately. First, I had my anniversary. Of course I couldn't work, and it took up two days. Then, our 15 year old dog got sick and died. That has been horrible On top of it all, I'm leaving Okinawa in less than two weeks for Germany, so I've been really busy with the move. Soon my computer will leave, and I'm definitely behind schedule on coding the engine.

In the small amount of time I've been able to work I've been having some issues, and I haven't had the time or inclination to properly debug the problems. One big thing that has been going on is that I've been unable to fix the AI schedule issues because I've not been able to correctly select objects. It seemed that my object selection procedures were busted. Well, today I finally debugged the game correctly and it turned out that my debris master objects were inside the small house and were being returned as the selected objects instead of the actual items. Fix so easy - hide and exclude, rather than just exclude.

Now I'm going to bed, but at least I've fixed that problem. The issue is that the small house is at x:0,z:0, and that's just where all of the master debris are placed. Coincidental and ugly. I've had quite a bit of beer, and thankfully I've seen no dumb posts tonight, or I'd have seen some terribly true things in response to those.

I'm still going to get this video finished before I leave. Like I said, I'll do media in transit. With the AI schedules almost all of the engine will be complete. I'll still have lots of tidying up and details to finish up, but it will be for the most part completed.

Goodnight to all!

Come see the WIP!
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 17:42
Quote: "Soon my computer will leave, and I'm definitely behind schedule on coding the engine."

I would back up your Geisha House stuff on DVD's or an external hard drive, just to be safe.

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 19:26
Sorry to hear about your dog cash

Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 02:30
Two days for an anniversary? Never did that. (But perhaps that's why I ended up divorced.) If it's any consolation, I hear there's a lot more beer in Germany than Okinawa. Good luck with the move.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 16:26
Sorry to hear about the dog, it's not fun losing a pet. Shame about the schedule, but of course life is life and if you're behind on the engine, don't worry about it - but yes do back up before going to Germany. You say you're going in less than two weeks? So am I, (In about the same time) I'm going towards Hamburg for a week for the Wacken Festival.

Good luck with the project and don't get to p**sed in Germany, but I suppose you could claim it as 'research' for your game.

Hakuna Matata
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 20:28 Edited at: 21st Jul 2007 03:26
Sorry about your dog.

Good luck in Germany. Don't worry about being behind on the game, you're not alone. I just don't know how you do it, Cash. I have a game at 2100 lines now and have just hit a huge brick wall, if your game is 10 times as large in code as mine I can't imagine how skilled you must be to keep working consistently. Basically whenver I try to add a new feature to the game I have to change the core code a lot, causing another feature to complain. Fixing that causes yet another feature to complain...

This sig has been viewed times.
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 14:53 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2007 14:53
At least I can post!.

I thought I will never had a change to do it...
there were to many dumb posts

@ Cash:

Sorry about your dog

Excellent work. I liked video number 13 and the way the paperdoll works. I think it clearly distinguish your games from others.

Quote: " That is a good idea about the spell shortcuts. I could have it create a shortcut when you've cast a spell a certain number of times. Or, I can allow you to memorize a couple spells. Say, two at first, and more as your skill increased. When you memorized a spell then the spell rune would vanish, similar to casting off of a scroll, except that you could memorize the spell again. That's how the magic system worked in Enchanter, the IF Infocom game. What do you guys think of that?"

I think it's an excellente idea to have shortcuts and to increase number of spells learned.
It can add gameplay and ours of re-play.
Yeah limit them to two spells and give it a time to learn to use a short-cut.

Quote: "I'm trying to borrow more elements from Medieval Spain, as I think that English elements are a bit overdone and Spain is such a lovely country."

I think you don't know COlombia
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 16:03
Quote: "I think you don't know COlombia "

Medieval Colombia?

I hope you settle in alright. It's going to be weird to think you're not in Japan! I'm really sorry about your dog, but I'm not sure what I could say to comfort you in a forum post.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 13:23
Woohoo. I nab the 600th post.

Just to say Mr Curtis, I am still following this and checking it out. Looking forward to it's completion.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 22:20:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 22:20:24