Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG - Geisha House. Image intensive!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 01:00
This thread is truely inspirational cash. It's good to see how far Dark Basic can actually go with work and determination. I'll be checking the progress of this, absolutely incredible. I especially like your combat system.

Also, the performance seems to be very good, am I right? I'm not the best at DBP, but I'm guessing the camera layout you have chosen makes it easier to cull surrounding objects, hope I got that right.

Anyway, keep up the good work, it's given me hope for actually making a full game now, even if I never end up this good.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 03:09
Quote: "save ZZZ's Soul Hunter which I believe is currently done?"

Soul Hunter is nowhere near done, or wasn't a week ago when I last checked especially since zzz was having computer trouble. And so you know, as much as I love soul Hunter I can say with total confidence that it's not progressing nearly as fast as Geisha House.

I'd say what really makes Geisha House so impressive is not just how good it is for a dbp rpg, but how consistently Cash works on it. If I could work like he does, I'd have finished my game Dream like three or four months ago.

@Cash, That last vid really impressed me. It looked very easy to use and well designed. Hot keys would be great, but I know that at least for me, the menu seems so simple and easy to use that I'd probably stick with the mouse and HUD buttons.

I really love that you can pick up whatever the baddie was wielding. I remember you saying you'd implement that, and it looks really nice in action. I'm curious though, what would happen if you dragged more than one weapon or shield over to the wielding area? And do you plan on adding stats for what is being wielded?

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 05:34
I really liked the video as well. I think the only thing I could suggest from what I could see in the video is that it would be nice if you had some sort of feedback as to what your mouse was over. So if you mouse over a sword that is on the ground that some sort of text pops up saying what it is, such as 'short sword' or whatever. I think that would be helpful. You were probably already going to do this, but just didn't get time yet. Good work on the doors too.

Visit the Wip!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 17:12
@Gil Galvanti -
I've got hotkeys already - 'a' enters attack mode, 'm' brings up the runes (I'm going to add a menu button for that, I've not yet), 'i' opens your inventory pack, and 'p' opens your paperdoll. What I need to do though is add the shortcut key to the description, like "Open Paperdoll (p)". I like hotkeys, but I find that they're often a mystery, so I hope that they'll make sense in this game.

@Dr Manette -
Quote: "I think the runes look fine with a very clean look. The item dragging is really cool too"

Thanks! Glad you like it.

Quote: "but I'm confused as to why you can drag items onto the equip screen and leave them there."

At first I planned to change it to a big 2D version, but the paperdoll images are missing pixels on the weapon handles so I'd have had to load separate images. I didn't want to do that, so I just left the paperdoll object dragging as is. You can't put anything else on the paperdoll except for the two weapons, one shield weapon and one attack weapon (or spellbook).

It's a lazy compromise, but I don't think it will matter

@NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret -

Quote: "Hmm... could do with a curvevalue on the movement speed. Looks a little jerky at the moment."

I can't use that command because I use timer based movement for everything. If there is a slight lag then it repositions and animates the object as if there had been no lag, which sometimes causes jerkiness if the framerate is low. If I weren't using timer based movement then lags would smooth out, but everything would slow down temporarily. Worse, if the framerate was lower than the locked rate the game would just run slow. I want everything to run at the same speed no matter what.

You've got to keep in mind though that you're watching the game under fraps, and it runs waaaay slower being recorded than it normally does.

Quote: "The dragging items into the inventory is amazing, though!"

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for

@Alquerian -
Quote: "I don't always agree with Cash"

Yes you do

Quote: "it would be nice if you had some sort of feedback as to what your mouse was over."

That's a good idea. Right now you have to single click an item to see its name, but hovering would just be better. It would let you know you're actually over the item, which isn't always clear if the item is thin (like a sword on its side). I'll see how hard it will be too do, the system is optimized for mouse clicks right now. That is, I don't run Pick Object unless the user clicks. This should be a feature though.

Quote: "Good work on the doors too."

Thanks My pivot point needs to be modified a bit, right now they hinge from the very center of the door but real doors don't do that at all. Minor fix, but that should finish it.

@Blastwave man -
Quote: "I just started looking through this post, and I have to say this is some high quality stuff."

Thanks! I appreciate that. Glad to have you following GH

@vorconan -
Quote: "This thread is truely inspirational cash. It's good to see how far Dark Basic can actually go with work and determination. I'll be checking the progress of this, absolutely incredible. I especially like your combat system."

Thanks, comments like that really make it feel like my time is well spent on this I'm glad you like the combat system, I put a lot of love into it. I wanted a fast hack and slash system along with the other real RPG elements - often games have simply one or the other.

Quote: "Also, the performance seems to be very good, am I right? I'm not the best at DBP, but I'm guessing the camera layout you have chosen makes it easier to cull surrounding objects, hope I got that right."

Yeah, you're right about that. Having an overhead view does make the game run more efficiently. I want to have an Oblivion style view for the next version, though. A lot of people don't like the overhead view, so despite its advantages I shouldn't use it.

Quote: "Anyway, keep up the good work, it's given me hope for actually making a full game now, even if I never end up this good."

Just keep working at it, I started from nothing just like everyone else. I just won't ever quit once I've begun something, if you resolve yourself to that and to learn everything you can then there's no reason that you can't be fantastic.

@Bizar Guy -
Quote: "Cash, That last vid really impressed me. It looked very easy to use and well designed. Hot keys would be great, but I know that at least for me, the menu seems so simple and easy to use that I'd probably stick with the mouse and HUD buttons."

Like I mentioned earlier, I've got hotkeys already. I've actually been using them in the earlier videos, that's how I inexplicably go into combat mode without using the menu. I figured I'd use the interface this time to show off the entire thing. Well, almost. Conversation and magic are technically part of this too.

Quote: "I really love that you can pick up whatever the baddie was wielding. I remember you saying you'd implement that, and it looks really nice in action."

I'm pleased with how it turned out too, thanks It's one of those things that I was able to bring to life exactly as I'd envisioned it.

Quote: "I'm curious though, what would happen if you dragged more than one weapon or shield over to the wielding area? And do you plan on adding stats for what is being wielded?"

It wouldn't work, you're limited to one shield item and one attack hand item. If you have something in a hand you can't drag anything else for that hand onto the window. By the same token, you can't drag anything that's not a weapon onto the paperdoll.

There's a minor bug with it right now though. If you drag an item directly from a container onto the paperdoll, it will transfer it. It won't arm it, but you could fill the paperdoll up with junk. It would still add to your weight so it's not an exploit, but it's something I'll fix shortly. It will probably just take one more test condition.

I'm not sure about weapon stats. Maybe a detailed description would be good, like 'Poorly made broadsword' and 'Fine broadsword'.

@Bush Baby -
Quote: "Geisha house started around 2005. It's probably nearing 2 years old now , and it's in a BASIC language. Seems a little slow to me."

I've not been working on this the entire time. I had two other paid projects that put this on hold. You can't blame me for that, can you? Or being generally busy?

Surely I can get some credit for sticking with this project for so long. It is in a basic language, but that doesn't change how it's coded, and it doesn't change the fact that I'm doing work that would usually be done by a team of programmers.

Quote: "I was just feeling some resentment because it feels like every WIP is full of fools who just say "zomgthatissocool" to the lamest of lame."

I can understand you feeling that way. If you do, then you shouldn't attack one of the good projects, that just doesn't make any sense.

Quote: "I apologize that I acted like a jerk and hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass."

It's okay, no hard feelings. I won't hold it against you since you apologized.

I must address a couple things though - if you don't like me, then just don't post here. If you just don't like this project, then don't post here. If you want to offer specific criticism on an area of the game, please do post. That will only serve to improve the game.

This isn't the best DBP project ever by any means. As an RPG, and a game, it certainly stands on its own and deserves some respect. You've also got to understand that the videos show the mechanics of the RPG engine, not the game itself. Everyone knows that, and they evaluate the videos based on that. Soon I'll be able to focus on the game and the videos will be much more interesting.

Bottom line - no hard feelings, I certainly welcome your input in the future.

@Everyone -
Thank you all for your support, both for me and Geisha House. I appreciate it, it means a lot

I've been gone all day, so I haven't had a chance to work. I'm in an Oceanography class so I spent most of the day at the beach on a project / field trip. Pretty cool.

Except for a few minor bugs to fix, the next thing I'm going to do is add NPC schedules and memory. NPCs need to be able to do things during the day. For example, the bar maid will close the door, turn lights on and off, and serve food and drinks to people. However, her jobs won't interfere with her normal AI, like evading enemies and such.

I'll also give NPCs a 'pissed off memory' of sorts. Basically, the more you piss them off the higher their anger level will rise. At a certain point they'll start saying rude things, then they'll either run away or fight you. If you walk around with your weapon drawn and there's no enemies nearby then it will make them uncomfortable. If you attack someone then they and everyone nearby will turn against you. If you steal from someone then it will turn them against you as well. It will take a while for their anger level to subside, and that will seriously impede game progress or end up with dead NPCs that shouldn't be dead, so it will be in a player's best interest to be good.

I'm going to get to work now. Later!

Come see the WIP!
Zerk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 19:47
That bag looks an alot like the bag from Ultima Online.

http://uo.stratics.com/xena/beta.shtml

zParticle BETA finally released! An advanced particle system plugin for DBP!
More information and Download link!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 20:30
I needed something for reference, so I used the image that Cash supplied. It isn't the same image though so, there are no legality issues.

Bush Baby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 21:11 Edited at: 1st Jul 2007 21:12
Quote: "Bottom line - no hard feelings, I certainly welcome your input in the future."

Thanks alot. Once again, I am sorry for my immaturity & stupidity. Your anger level idea sounds quite cool. That's quite the original idea!
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 23:14
Quote: "Except for a few minor bugs to fix, the next thing I'm going to do is add NPC schedules and memory. NPCs need to be able to do things during the day. For example, the bar maid will close the door, turn lights on and off, and serve food and drinks to people. However, her jobs won't interfere with her normal AI, like evading enemies and such.

I'll also give NPCs a 'pissed off memory' of sorts. Basically, the more you piss them off the higher their anger level will rise. At a certain point they'll start saying rude things, then they'll either run away or fight you. If you walk around with your weapon drawn and there's no enemies nearby then it will make them uncomfortable. If you attack someone then they and everyone nearby will turn against you. If you steal from someone then it will turn them against you as well. It will take a while for their anger level to subside, and that will seriously impede game progress or end up with dead NPCs that shouldn't be dead, so it will be in a player's best interest to be good."

That seriously made my jaw drop hearing it. I cannot wait to see that in action! This sounds smurfin cool.
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2007 23:56 Edited at: 1st Jul 2007 23:57
Quote: "It will take a while for their anger level to subside, and that will seriously impede game progress or end up with dead NPCs that shouldn't be dead, so it will be in a player's best interest to be good."

That sounds like a really good idea, it's sure to help with immersion, and the NPCs will be lots more intelligent. You aren't going to let the player kill the more critical NPCs, ones that you simply can't beat the game without (if there are any), right? People hate it when they 'accidentally' permenantly screw up their games, sometimes they don't feel like restarting so they sell it. (like a friend of mine did for Zelda: The Wind Waker)

You never really know a person until you look at their google autocomplete entries.
dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 00:20
Quote: "You aren't going to let the player kill the more critical NPCs, ones that you simply can't beat the game without (if there are any), right?"

If he does, there should be some way to fix it, but it should a long task or something. Like if you make them mad, you have to give them flowers avery week or something until they are less mad. I donno, I just like your idea of NPCs.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 02:39
@Zerk -
Quote: "That bag looks an alot like the bag from Ultima Online."

Scraggle just used the bag as a reference. If you compare them then you can tell that nothing has been copied, it's just been 'inspired'. It's the style that I want, so it's perfect.

@Scraggle -
Quote: "It isn't the same image though so, there are no legality issues."

Exactly. Plus, it looks good. Everybody wins!

@Bush Baby -
Quote: "Thanks alot. Once again, I am sorry for my immaturity & stupidity."

Quote: "Your anger level idea sounds quite cool. That's quite the original idea!"

Thanks. It's not reallly all that original, but hopefully it stands out and people like it in action.

@Code Dragon -
Quote: "That sounds like a really good idea, it's sure to help with immersion, and the NPCs will be lots more intelligent."

The AI is good as it is, but I've just coded functions to swap the AI from friendly>neutral>enemy. That, combined with their feelings will make them a lot more dynamic.

Quote: "You aren't going to let the player kill the more critical NPCs, ones that you simply can't beat the game without (if there are any), right?"

Some won't be killable, some will. If the player screws up then some magic should be able to fix it. The player will be able to find a resurrection spell in the game, and they'll be able to magically calm really angry people. I want it to feel realistic and dynamic, but I also want a way to counterbalance that for ease of gameplay. It won't be easy to get the resurrection spell, but it is possible. More than likely someone will just save the game, bash some NPCs, then reload. That's what I always did in Ultima.

@dabip -
Thanks!

Quote: "If he does, there should be some way to fix it, but it should a long task or something. Like if you make them mad, you have to give them flowers avery week or something until they are less mad. I donno, I just like your idea of NPCs."

Like I said above, magic will be able to fix most thing. But, getting the spells won't be easy, a couple will be the focus of a quest.

Come see the WIP!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 04:56
oops forgot to post, I won't work on any story stuff just yet, but when it gets closer to release and I can freely get some idea on teh story to the game I could make a sweet comic format intro sequence for the manual, or if I have the money a sweet live action video intro sequence of similar caste.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 06:29
Looking fantastic Cash! I am dying to play it, and if you are selling it (which you probably are), I am definitely going to buy it.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 10:10
Hi Cash,
I found some time this morning to make another graphic for you. This one is the woven basket. Again, I have made a version with a shadow and one without and again the download has the .png file with a transparent backdrop.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 11:28
... and the sack.

Attachments

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 12:08
... and the coffin.

Attachments

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 12:47
... and the Chest

I think that is everything you asked me for.

As you can see from the time stamps on these posts I have rushed these a bit, so I'm sorry if they are a bit crappy. It's just that I'm flying off to Jamaica tomorrow to get married but when I saw your post saying that this project was almost complete, I thought I would try to get these done before I go.

If they need changes or there is anything else you want doing, just let me know but I won't be able to do anything for about three weeks.

Attachments

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 13:43
Very cool Scraggle!

I've got some feedback. But, there's no rush. Go to Jamaica, don't worry about rushing anything before you head off. The engine is nearly complete, but the game isn't. After I finish coding the engine I'll still take about 2 or 3 months to get the game together.

Right now the bag appears to have very little space. There's too much outer bag showing, and will look odd when setting things in that area. I'm hoping to get a bag that mostly shows the inside of it.

The coffins are nice, but the skulls could be a little less computery. More boney and subtle would please me

The baskets look great, as do the chests. Whenever you get around to it a wooden crate would be nice also.

Enjoy Jamaica, sounds awesome!!

@Wiggett -
Sounds good, that will give you some time to gather your thoughs about it as well.

@Inspire -
Thanks, better words I cannot imagine

Come see the WIP!
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 18:34
clears throat... Can we see a possible behind the scenes of gh? I'd gladly put in some more money for that and get a chance to see the man at work on this masterpiece.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 20:49
Yes, I think we'd all pay money to watch Cash, drugged by many cups of coffee, banging his hands on the key board at ungodly hours of the night as his master piece unfolds. Maybe a CashCam will be set up? This, of course, will be on twenty-four seven.

Nice images, Scraggle. And of course, I can't wait to see the new AI in action.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2007 21:47
You just keeping amazing me cash, great idea with the characters anger increasing and all. Is there different stages of how angry they are? Like, 1st stage: shouting at you
2nd stage: follow and shout etc.
3rd stage: attack you

Oh yeah, before I forget, how many lines do you have in the code at the moment or how many you expect to have? I was thinking you may have to have seperate source code files for different functions.

Hope this is coming along well
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2007 03:33
Lol, CashCAM© I like it.

Show us your work space old boy, could be good.

@ scraggle - nice looking 2d stuff there. For me it doesn't seem to fit entirely well, but it's Cash's call. Nevertheless, very nice work.

Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 03:34 Edited at: 4th Jul 2007 03:38
I don't mean to sound noobish, but how do you pronounce Geisha?

Also, I'm just curious, how many lines of code is your level editor right now? (assuming you have one) I just started coding a level editor for the speed and size benifits of binary files.

Keep up the great work! I can't believe the engine is over 95% finished, this game is coming together fast!

Quote: "1st stage: shouting at you
3rd stage: attack you"

I had a system jusy like that in my first text adventure! If you talk back to the NPCs enough they shoot you or calls the police. It was fun. (well the NPC at the end of the game shoots you no matter what, you can't win)

You never really know a person until you look at their google autocomplete entries.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 03:41
Quote: "I don't mean to sound noobish, but how do you pronounce Geisha?"

I'm pretty sure it's "gay-shuh".

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "'m pretty sure it's "gay-shuh""

isnt it more like "gay-shah"?

stupid game!
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 18:25
hm... i thought it was more like "guy-ee-shuh"

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2007 19:43
Quote: "isnt it more like "gay-shah"?"

No, Gil's right.

Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
in french we say geisha more like "gay-shah"....

nice work cash

Sry for mybad english
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 03:09 Edited at: 5th Jul 2007 03:10
I'd spell it 'Guy-shah' or /ˈgeɪ ʃa/.

But okay.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 03:11
Quote: "I'd spell it 'Guy-shah' or /ˈgeɪ ʃa/."

I'd spell it Geisha.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 03:14
Darn, I thought it would take a while for someone to notice (at least till my last post here today so I could fix it before shutting down.

But yes, you're right, I'd pronounce it 'Guy-shah' or /ˈgeɪ ʃa/.

My humble apologies to Benjamin.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 06:48
8 posts just on how to pronounce it classic tgc moment.

any news from teh game dev side of things cash? you do realize that we want hourly updates with new videos jam packed with stunning new visual effects!

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
eek
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "gey-shuh"

From dictionary.com, just for kicks.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 07:41
@Zombie 20 -
Quote: "Can we see a possible behind the scenes of gh? I'd gladly put in some more money for that and get a chance to see the man at work on this masterpiece."

I don't know how interesting it would be. It's hard to make coding all that exciting or interesting. I would stage it and add bikini models and loud music, but it would probably still look lame.

What I will do though, when I'm completely done with Geisha House and the RPG Creator IDE is to make some RPG video tutorials. There are no details yet, but it's something I'd like to do. It's not something I'd do yet because I've not released an RPG yet so I have no business at all making a tutorial. I've seen some nice RPG tutorials around, but the fact of the matter is that nobody should make a tutorial about something that they haven't done yet.

@Dr Manette -
Quote: "Yes, I think we'd all pay money to watch Cash, drugged by many cups of coffee, banging his hands on the key board at ungodly hours of the night as his master piece unfolds. "

Don't forget the beer Much of Geisha House was made under the influence of Corona and Budweiser. Some of my angry forum posts were brought to you by Budweiser as well

Quote: "Maybe a CashCam will be set up? This, of course, will be on twenty-four seven."

I don't think that a 24/7 cam would be any good unless it was in a really hot girl's house and she only wore lengerie and played strip poker with her girlfriends frequently. The reality is that you'll see me cleaning the house, chasing ungrateful dirty kids around, cleaning up after the small dirty creatures that I'm responsible for (that includes the kids), getting bitched at by my wife, and spending all my free time banging out code and media. Oh the fun. I'd take the strip poker, personally.

@vorconan -
Quote: "You just keeping amazing me cash, great idea with the characters anger increasing and all. Is there different stages of how angry they are? Like, 1st stage: shouting at you
3rd stage: attack you"

Thanks

There are different levels. Every character will act differently, according to their natural AI and the responses that I script for them.

Stage 1 will be discomfort. If you draw your sword in front of a group of people and there's no enemy around, you'll make them uncomfortable. They'll start mumbling angrily about you. They'll keep getting angrier as long as your weapon is drawn, and your proximity will make it worse.

Stage 2 will be shouting. Once again proximity will make it worse. Depending on how agressive the character is, they'll either avoid you or follow you.

Stage 3 will either be fighting or running.

What they say for each level will depend on their dialog scripts. Whether or not they avoid or follow you will depend on their AI. Some things will make people angrier than other things. If you pull out a knife and stab someone in a bar then you'll send everyone to anger level 3 immediately. If you steal something from someone you'll send them to at least level 2 immediately.

Quote: "Oh yeah, before I forget, how many lines do you have in the code at the moment or how many you expect to have? I was thinking you may have to have seperate source code files for different functions."

It's a little over 21,000 lines at the moment. It's broken up into 6 include files. By the time it's done I'll probably have 23,000 lines, maybe more.

Quote: "Hope this is coming along well"

Thanks, it is and thankfully almost done

@greenlig -
Quote: "Lol, CashCAM© I like it."

Ewww, like I said earlier, I'd need much bigger breasts for it to be any good

Quote: "Show us your work space old boy, could be good."

Like I said above though, I do plan to do some video tutorials.

@Code Dragon -
Quote: "I don't mean to sound noobish, but how do you pronounce Geisha?"

I see that this turned into quite the discussion Personally I say "gay-shah", but "guy-shah" is pretty common as well.

Quote: "Also, I'm just curious, how many lines of code is your level editor right now? (assuming you have one) I just started coding a level editor for the speed and size benifits of binary files."

I don't have a level editor at the moment. I have a mini GH terrain/building flythrough version that I use to place things, but I didn't want to start the editor until I was finished with the game since it's so complex. I'm using LUA files for the game files, writing them by hand in LUA Edit.

Quote: "Keep up the great work! I can't believe the engine is over 95% finished, this game is coming together fast!"

Maybe not fast, but at least consistent I suppose At least it's almost done!!

@Everyone -
Thanks for your guy's input

I've been gone for the past couple days for the 4th of July, I took my family to Okuma beach in northern Okinawa. It was fabulous, and there were no computers, and I didn't miss the computer at all But, I'm back now, so now I'll make my AI theory into reality. It will likely take me a couple days, but I'll keep you guys posted.

One thing that I'll have to do in order to make my NPC schedules work correctly is overhaul the item system much I did my character system. I'll turn everything into a primative box and slap instanced objects onto them whenever they come on screen. On thing that NPCs will need to be able to do is to transform objects.

Say for instance I have a bar maid and she's scheduled to bar tend. She'll seek out empty mugs, pick them up and fill them at the keg. They'll actually transform into a full mug of beer (a totally different item). She'll take it back and set it back where she got it from. In the bar NPCs will be scheduled to drink. If their hand is empty, they'll seek out full beer mugs, pick them up, and after a while they'll transform into an empty mug. At that point they'll set it down and wait for a new mug to appear. This will just continue as long as they're scheduled to do it. It will work in the same way for other things - bartending will include keeping the lights on and the door closed. If you walk in without closing the door, the NPC will see the open door and go behind you and close it, as well as turning lights back on that you turned off.

So, I'll need to enhance my item system and supporting functions. NPC schedules and AI will all be closely related. I've been needing to do it for a while, so I'm glad that it will soon be done. It will increase the efficiency of the entire system. It will also greatly reduce the overhead for adding lots of the same items, and it will allow easy item transformations which will have lots of applications. I'll be able to do things like allow players to turn wheat into flour, into dough, and cook bread, without having to hard code such things.

Later all!

Come see the WIP!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 08:09
Awesome, the AI system you have planned sounds amazing . If it was anyone other than you I would think they were a little over their head, but I'm 100% sure you'll get it done perfectly . Nice idea and good luck.

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 17:33
Wow Cash, that sounds great!
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 18:45 Edited at: 5th Jul 2007 18:45
Awesome!! You must have been working quite consistently to get 21,000 lines. The AI sounds brilliant though, are you coding it all yourself, or modifying Dark AI?

This game really seems to bring out the outstanding quality of Darkbasic, well done Cash. I have no doubt that it will sell well at all.

Can I ask aswell, how do you go about creating the GUI? Is it a plugin that you customize or do you manually check to see if the mouse is over certain images?

Thanks and good work

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 19:02
That sounds really great ^^

Btw. I got invite to Closed Beta of Fiesta (The first phase of it already ended) But all i can say it was best mmorpg i have been ever played.. So so.. I have suggestion.. There was weapon/shield enchancion system it was kinda of gambling. U put certain item wich enchances ur weapon/shield from lvl 0 - 3 or 3 - 7 or 7 - 12 at center of the boxes. Then there is 7 other boxes around center box. U put weapon or shield one of them.. Then another box starts going around those 7 other boxes if u get the another box to opposite side of weapon or shield ur weapon or shiel will enchance by 1 lvl. If this waill ur weapon or shield can be downgraded by 1 lvl or it can be destoroyed or u may lose all items on your inventory (U can safe items on storage). After the weapon is lvl 3+ it becomes shiny at lvl 5+ it becomes shinyer and hass glowing balls around it and other effects.. Also weapon becomes powerfull.. I liked this system kinda.

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2007 19:58
Quote: "I don't think that a 24/7 cam would be any good unless it was in a really hot girl's house and she only wore lingerie and played strip poker with her girlfriends frequently."

I'm going with, that never happens at your house. That NPC schedule system reminds me a lot of Oblivion, which is a good thing.

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 04:23
Hey! cash, ive been following the progress of this game very keenly, i love everything youve done so far, however, there is just one small thing! The fact that the name and general style of the game suggest ancient china, yet the main character and his weaponry look very medieval english, just a tiny thing which im sure is well explained. Im absolutely gobsmacked and amazed that a project so ambitious is becoming reality! and its being done so well! i cant wait for it

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 05:31
Good point, Cherd, I never really thought about that. I think there's some kind of story behind this, but I can't remember what it was. Although, it would be cool to have Asian models, and to model after ancient china.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 06:50
@Gil -
Quote: "Awesome, the AI system you have planned sounds amazing . If it was anyone other than you I would think they were a little over their head, but I'm 100% sure you'll get it done perfectly . Nice idea and good luck."

Thanks It won't even be all that hard with the way I have everything set up. I've got the basic outline done, the main thing will just be correctly prioritizing the behaviors. Probably the hardest thing will be writing out all of the dialog for the anger levels.

@dabip -
Thanks, I just hope it looks great too

@vorconan -
Quote: "Awesome!! You must have been working quite consistently to get 21,000 lines."

Yeah, I'm pretty dedicated to this project. Let me say, getting 21k lines of code to play nicely together and work efficiently is no easy task.

Quote: "The AI sounds brilliant though, are you coding it all yourself, or modifying Dark AI?"

I'm using Dark AI in this project. It's an absolutely brilliant plugin and has taught me so much about AI. One day when I create my own AI system from scratch I'll totally base it on Dark AI's system.

I'm modifying Dark AI to do all of this. Dark AI gives fantastic automatic behaviors to entities, but silent automatic killing machines aren't always good. Fortunately it's a very flexible system, and with some clever coding you can make it do whatever you want. Basically, I'll take control of the NPCs, unless the NPCs are threatened, then Dark AI will take over.

Quote: "This game really seems to bring out the outstanding quality of Darkbasic, well done Cash. I have no doubt that it will sell well at all."

Medium well, I think. I'm getting fantastic feedback from the community, I just hope that the game can generate interest outside of the community as a serious game and not just as an interesting Dark Basic project.

Quote: "Can I ask aswell, how do you go about creating the GUI? Is it a plugin that you customize or do you manually check to see if the mouse is over certain images?"

It's all DBP sprites. I have a 1x1 sprite hotspot that's positioned on the mouse hotspot every loop. I test for sprite collisions and if that returns true then I test for pixel perfect collision using IanM's pixel perfect collision functions. Since it's a 1x1 sprite, it's very fast when I check for a collision.

It's a pretty well developed and structured system, so each addition that I make to it is pretty easy.

Quote: "Thanks and good work"

Thank you, I apprecicate your comments

@The Full Metal Coder Roxas -
That sounds interesting, but is a bit hard to visualize. Maybe you could record a video of it for our viewing pleasure?

@Dr Manette -
It's a staple of any serious RPG. I learned all of the internal specifics from modding Ultima 7. My friend and I created a castle and filled it with treasures and NPCs. I guess it wasn't a complete waste of time

@Cherd -
Quote: "The fact that the name and general style of the game suggest ancient china, yet the main character and his weaponry look very medieval english, just a tiny thing which im sure is well explained."

It doesn't actually take place in Japan at all, the people that started the Geisha House were Japanese outcasts and fugitives that found their way to Marauder's Bay and opened up their business.

I'm trying to borrow more elements from Medieval Spain, as I think that English elements are a bit overdone and Spain is such a lovely country. Walker's armor is all Spanish, as well as his sword and other game art.

Quote: "Hey! cash, ive been following the progress of this game very keenly, i love everything youve done so far"

Quote: "Im absolutely gobsmacked and amazed that a project so ambitious is becoming reality! and its being done so well! i cant wait for it"

Thanks, I appreciate it If you guys like what I'm doing, then I must be doing it right!

Come see the WIP!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 09:52 Edited at: 6th Jul 2007 10:02
@Cash

Of course! When second closed beta comes (im glad i have the invite ^^) I can record video. So i must wait first.. I can also try find something on youtube because this game is english translation of other two games. Other one is korean and other one is japanese.

Btw.

Your game looks great!

[EDIT]

Ok found someone tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTKnYwOj0Ho

I dont knwo if you understand it yet. But basically he puts weapon on center box. Then he puts item what helps him power up the weapon some of the 7 other boxes. He fails at first time but succes on second time.

Also here is the versions and what they all called If anyone intrested on this game.

Korea- Shine online
China- Shine online
Japan- Bright Kingdom online
US- Fiesta online

Btw2.

Are you going to release any tutorials after this game cash?

[B] - LINKIN PARK - [/B]
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 12:08
Quote: "Yeah, I'm pretty dedicated to this project. Let me say, getting 21k lines of code to play nicely together and work efficiently is no easy task.
"

I bet it isn't, I'm struggling with under 1000

Quote: "I'm using Dark AI in this project. It's an absolutely brilliant plugin and has taught me so much about AI. One day when I create my own AI system from scratch I'll totally base it on Dark AI's system."

Sounds like a good plugin, I'm thinking of getting it, my knowledge of AI is near enough to null. All I'm hearing is that its very hard to code. Dark AI seems like a good option for starting off though.

Quote: "It's all DBP sprites. I have a 1x1 sprite hotspot that's positioned on the mouse hotspot every loop. I test for sprite collisions and if that returns true then I test for pixel perfect collision using IanM's pixel perfect collision functions. Since it's a 1x1 sprite, it's very fast when I check for a collision."

That is an excellent method, I never would've thought of that.

Thank you for answering my questions aswell, some great responses. I'm learning from them anyway.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 14:41
@Bush Baby:
There is some truth in what you say...

- I think its strange that its a thread full of "great job Cash" when clearly I think we all know it is a good project and well some glory is ok but its a little overglorified don't you guys think? read over it and you may see what I mean when every post that is not on things for geisha house is a big drama over "zomgthisiscool". this is based on the talking in this thread, however I know entirely its not Cash's fault that everyone glorifies the project like this and it does deserve credit.

- 10 years it has been (according to earlier posts in this thread), not 2 and made in a BASIC language and using many additional plugins like DarkPhysics and DarkAI so that he doesnt have to code as much well it should be progressing a bit faster considering this. However maybe there is more Cash hasn't revealed about Geisha House which is taking up this "extra time".

-I admit I have seen alot of criticism from Cash towards RPGs that are just starting instead of offering help or tips or building self-esteem of the people making it so they feel good about their projects just like he does of Geisha House which I think is one of the reasons he disliked Bush Baby's earlier comments. So yes based on research of looking at newcomers posts Cash has been talking down newcomers RPGs and newcomers wanting to make an RPG a bit.

-The videos aren't so bad but I think they show too much "boring" parts with not enough action, my advice to Cash is to add more action to the videos.

@Cash
Yes I have done the research I could to make sure all the information above is valid from what I have seen around here so don't put another of your famous "you based this on feeling not fact" message in my face please.

@Geisha House
Great project overall, nice progress so far and good job, keep it up.

@Community
I have nothing wrong with the community and I am sorry if you have a problem with anything I have said above and feel free to tell me off if so and I will try to "pipe down" or whatever. I do not mean to intrude this thread but I am trying to shed some light on the situation so that Bush Baby and other people will realise that there was some truth to all that was said. Bush Baby did lay it on a little to thick but he had a right to voice his opinion and he wasn't very rude like Cash was when he said "Get out of my thread you twit" now thats immature, stop being an angry jerk and show some respect to people, you get enough so learn to share it.

Sorry to rant away but I had to put in my 2 cents.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 15:39
Kieran, I'm not interested in what you have to say or what you think. If you don't like the project stay out of the thread. Bush Baby and I have already come to an understanding via e-mail, he said he was in a bad mood and wrong about the things he said. Totally forgiven. Bringing his points back up is pointless.

The first Geisha House thread was posted on 18th Apr 2006. I'd worked on it for about 2 months before that. So in all, I've worked on this project for 1 year 5 months. However, that time was broken up by two other paid projects.

Quote: "10 years it has been (according to earlier posts in this thread), not 2 and made in a BASIC language and using many additional plugins like DarkPhysics and DarkAI so that he doesnt have to code as much well it should be progressing a bit faster considering this. However maybe there is more Cash hasn't revealed about Geisha House which is taking up this "extra time"."

That's totally false.

I can't believe that people criticise me for how long this project has taken. In less than a year and a half I've made significant progress, written 21,000 lines of code, a couple plugins, and made tons of media. I also have a life - I work as much as I can on this project, but there's no way I can work on it all the time.

And now you add the fact that I'm using plugins to your argument as well? You have no idea what you're talking about. And to criticise my videos shows that you don't even understand what you're looking at. They are videos that demonstrate the mechanics of the RPG engine, not the game itself. The game videos will be quite different and will be aimed at marketing the game rather than showing other coders and game makers the core components of my game engine.

Kieran, you lack the experience and qualifications to make any judgements about me or this project. Wanting to make an RPG doesn't mean a thing. I'm actually doing it. That should mean something.

I ask that you edit out your post and stay out of this thread. If you do that then I'll edit out my post as well. You don't have to like Geisha House, but there are plenty of people that do.

Come see the WIP!
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 15:53 Edited at: 6th Jul 2007 16:44
Kieran should be hurled into the sun from a catapult for his bitterness.. yes, the sun..

Quote: "- I think its strange that its a thread full of "great job Cash" when clearly I think we all know it is a good project and well some glory is ok but its a little overglorified don't you guys think?"

Well it is a good project , and it 100% deserves the feedback it's getting. I can see no reason why on earth you would say something like that other than that you're jealous that he gets more responces on his game and you get less/worse comments on yours. If i'm wrong then do tell me why you need to be so bitter and supermegalame

stupid game!
Crit
Years of Service
User Offline
It's not like people are littering the forums with zomg_geishahouse_izcool!!11!one! messages. They are giving it praise and comments within its own WIP thread. If you don't like it, then stay out of this one thread. There is an entire forum left for you to enjoy. And I've never seen Cash criticize new RPGs in that way. He knows first hand how much work goes into an RPG, and tries to convince new coders to get some experience under their belt before taking on such a complex project.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 16:54 Edited at: 11th Jul 2007 20:07
Kieran is mad at me because I criticised his non-DBP RPG project. Our breakdown in communication started way before that. I offered some feedback on his RPG project progress and he flew off the handle about it. Our issues were never resolved.

I've had exchanges of foul words with plenty of people on this forum. Take Bush Baby for instance (sorry Bush for repeatedly drumming up the incident). He said some ugly things about GH, we corresponded via e-mail, then he gave a sincere apology and all was well. All is well.

Kieran has maintained his bad attitude, thus it has been impossible for us to resolve our issues. He's abandoned DBP for silly reasons and has picked me for the focus of his discontent, so I don't care about him at all.

Here's something true - Except for Kieran, I've never criticised anything unnecessarily. I only offer honest feedback about projects. Being that I have a good deal of experience with RPGs I tend to sugar coat my advice less when it comes to this genre, but it is appropriate and true and tactful nonetheless. This forum could do with a bit more honesty.

I really appreciate your support guys

Quote: "And I've never seen Cash criticize new RPGs in that way. He knows first hand how much work goes into an RPG, and tries to convince new coders to get some experience under their belt before taking on such a complex project."

Thanks Crit, that's 100% true.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2007 17:20
From a few questions I think Cash deserves more credit than we have all given him, the amount of work that has gone into this project is astonishing. Keep it up.

Quote: "Kieran should be hurled into the sun from a catapult for his bitterness.. yes, the sun.."

Cool

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-25 06:54:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-25 06:54:40